ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 / News
New Zealand news
Injured Bennett out of HRV Cup
December 23, 2011
Canterbury fast bowler Hamish Bennett has been ruled out of the HRV Cup, New Zealand's domestic Twenty20 competition, with a back injury. The injury had been troubling Bennett for a few months and he will now undergo medical tests, before a treatment plan is drawn up.
"Hamish has been suffering from a lower back injury since the fast bowling camp earlier in the year," Kim Littlejohn, the New Zealand selector, said. "Unfortunately he has suffered a setback and won't be fit for to play for the Canterbury Wizards in the upcoming HRV Cup. He requires further assessment by medical specialists to determine the best course of action."
Bennett last played a competitive match in March, for New Zealand against Sri Lanka in the group stage of the World Cup. He was ruled out of the latter stages of the tournament after injuring his ankle and Achilles tendon. He missed New Zealand's tour of Zimbabwe in October and November due to his sore back.
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
- Stirling stars with 81 but Ireland tie against Scotland
- Prithvi Shaw, Ishan Kishan, Shreyas Iyer impress in India A's opening win
- Gabriel gets five again but SL lead nears 300
- Prolific Heino Kuhn's fourth hundred outdoes Ben Cox's first to earn Kent a Lord's final
- Jos Buttler's hasty call-up to captain a useful World Cup exercise