Indian Cricket League May 6, 2008

ICL follows up official recognition request

Cricinfo staff

The Indian Cricket League (ICL) has sent a reminder to the ICC seeking a response to its request last month for official recognition of their unsanctioned venture.

"We have received an acknowledgement of our letter from the ICC. We have been waiting for a response and have sent them a reminder, too," Himanshu Mody, the business head of ICL, told Cricinfo.

Malcolm Speed, the ICC CEO, told reporters in Mumbai last month that the issue had been referred to the ICC's lawyers. Though Speed has since proceeded on leave an ICC spokesperson confirmed that the matter was "still under consideration". "There is no time frame and all we can say is that we will deal with this as soon as it's possible for us," the spokesperson said.

The ICL, meanwhile, considers the ECB decision to let their players appear for county cricket as a major victory, especially since the matter was settled before the issue could reach the courts in England. "Earlier, about 10-15 ICL players were blocked from playing in England but that issue has been resolved without the league taking the legal route," an ICL official said.

The ICL, which kicked off as a twenty20 event in 2007, has also nearly finalized its calendar of dates and events for the coming season with officials yet undecided on starting four-day games. The calendar is expected to be formalized within the next 10 days, the official said.