India v Australia, 1st Test, Mohali, 5th day

'These situations get the best out of me' - Laxman

India's man of the moment reflects on yet another under-pressure classic against his favourite opponents

Sidharth Monga in Mohali

October 5, 2010

VVS Laxman pulls during his match-winning innings, 1st Test, Mohali, India v Australia, 5th day, October 5, 2010
Message to the opposition: Back spasms are a sign VVS Laxman is going to come up with a masterclass © Getty Images

Waiting in Taj Chandigarh for VVS Laxman to arrive, I was reminded of Taj Samudra in Colombo, just after India's previous Test, in August this year. That game, too, had a similar ending to the one in Mohali. Laxman, fighting back spasms, stood at square leg (then too he needed a runner), arms aloft, his team-mates congratulating him for a match-winning effort in the fourth innings. If anything, this came from an impossible situation and despite worse pain.

Then, too, Laxman had to stay back at the ground for treatment. Today, he couldn't even last the post-match presentation, and left midway. About an hour later, he arrived at the team hotel with a smile on his face and what looked like an X-ray report in his hand. It was so like Colombo. Then too he was more than happy to give us a few minutes despite the obvious pain he was in. He had spread joy on the field, there was no harm sharing it off it too. Even today, with a flight scheduled in the evening, and that hurting back, he sat down for a chat.

"We'll do it like the last time?" Laxman asks. Which meant he wanted to talk in the foyer.

"We have a nice routine going," I say in reply. "You win a match, and we talk in the hotel lobby."

"The routine is nice," he says. "But the pain is not." And laughs.

During the chat we remind ourselves that those back spasms are not that bad a thing. The first time Laxman suffered those spasms was in March 2001. Over the next week, he played the greatest Test innings of all at one of the greatest places to play Test cricket in. Three improbable wins out of three is not a bad strike rate for those spasms at all.

While there might be a general agreement, statistically proven of course, that back spasms have given Test cricket three unforgettable innings, a thought needs to be spared for the back. And both the physios, Nitin Patel now and Andrew Leipus in 2000-01, are people Laxman doesn't stop thanking.

"I have been doing a lot of mobilisation exercises on my lower back and my upper back," he says of the last three days. "Various techniques Nitin uses to relieve spasms. Also a lot of painkiller injections." Three of them in fact. Followed by tablets before the start of the game today, and then at each break in the play.

Last night was spent thinking about the back. "I was not sure how it would hold up," Laxman says. "Then I went and had a net. Last three days I was doing nothing but sitting and having treatment. So I had a net last evening, to make sure the spasms didn't aggravate. Even if they aggravated, I would have had enough time to recover by the match. It seemed okay in the last night. I was quite apprehensive about how my back would be."

As any team would, Australia too bowled a lot of bouncers and flighted offbreaks wide of off to make sure he has to put his back in discomfort. Pain, though, was to disappear soon. Once he drove Nathan Hauritz through the covers, Laxman could feel it. "Once you are in the thick of things, your concentration shifts from the pain, and towards the task at hand," Laxman says.

"Once your mind goes away from the pain and towards the goal, it helps. Still at times, especially when I was playing the short-pitched delivery, it was quite painful. Because of the awkward movement."

The physical pain was forgotten momentarily, but wickets were falling at the other end. That is why perhaps Laxman is generous in applauding Ishant Sharma, the No. 10 who stuck around with him for 106 minutes. "He had been struggling with the injury," Laxman says. "The last three-four days he has been taking injections on his leg. To come and bowl as well as he did yesterday, and then this innings, was a marvellous effort.

"What impressed me most about him was the temperament. We had little chats in the middle. And when, towards the end, Mitchell Johnson troubled him, he told me he wasn't comfortable facing him. Then only I started to try and face more of Johnson. It was important to have that trust. There was no way I could have done it alone. But I have always had a lot of confidence in Ishant."

I was Hyderabad's main batsman and I had to get a lot of runs for them. I think the earlier part of my career with Hyderabad taught me a lot to take responsibility. Probably that helped me a lot.

After Ishant, too, Laxman had to try and farm the strike so that Pragyan Ojha got as little of Johnson to face as possible. In doing so, on the fifth ball of a Ben Hilfenhaus, Laxman wanted his runner, Suresh Raina, and Ojha to go for a sharp single. Ojha did not make a quick enough start. Laxman was all arms and words then. This was a first: Laxman involved in an un-nice moment.

"I knew the last ball would be a bouncer, and there was no way I could have taken a single off that ball," Laxman said. "So we had to take the single on the fifth ball, so I get a little ... It was wrong on my part, and that's what I apologised to Ojha for at the end of that over. I asked him to be calm, and not lose his composure, and not get tense and panic. Because he also played six-seven balls, and that was crucial in the end."

Okay, this is more the Laxman we know. Which is what confounds me often. The kind of innings Laxman is known for remind me of street-smart cricketers like Javed Miandad and Arjuna Ranatunga. Laxman is an entirely different character. How does he do it so often in those situations? He has a great theory.

"I think sometimes these situations get the best out of me, from the mental point of view," Laxman says. "Mentally I have always relished these situations. Always think right from my younger days, I really want to do well in such situations. If I don't do well, I feel really bad and that I have let the team down. I keep discussing with my coaches that I should be in the same mind frame when the going is easy also.

"Probably something to do with Hyderabad. Because when I was playing at that time, I was their main batsman and I had to get a lot of runs for them. I think the earlier part of my career with Hyderabad taught me a lot to take responsibility. Probably that helped me a lot.

"So mentally not much, but physically this took a toll on my back." Some things, though, get better in the pain.

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Posted by Indian_Rules on (October 8, 2010, 5:42 GMT)

@ ragh910 . VVS Laxman has been playing for India since the time even before u knew how to spell bat... so shut up and dont show you immaturity over here.. go buya juice and cool ur head and let us all praise laxman here and enjoy our nations victory

Posted by Raviss on (October 7, 2010, 18:52 GMT)

wat a player.. Laxman is really a Very Very Special Batsman.. very underrated and not given his due.. well played Lax.. it was a gem..

Posted by Hindh on (October 7, 2010, 13:57 GMT)

@ragh cry babies like him keep on whining on trifle things coz they do not have any valid points to make.... Aussies cud not take no 10 and 11 indian wickets thats the reason they lost..... Half fit indian bowling took 20 aussie wickets.... reality bites.....

Posted by avssrs on (October 7, 2010, 11:56 GMT)

All this righteous indignation is a bit out of place. Never been a big fan of Ricky Ponting but he's been one of the good guys this time. What if Punter had said Sorry VVS, can't allow you a runner? It really was his call and he made the right one. Maybe he would have gone the other way in a pre-SCG match. But post-SCG, following a proper dressing down by the Aussie public themselves, Ricky and his team mates have often shown a good bit of sportsmanship, for which that have not gotten enough credit.

Well done several people. Zak for obvious reasons. Mitch for bowling with pace and heart in conditions alien to him. Punter for allowing VVS a runner and still making a game of it. Sachin for a solid 98. VVS, well what can I say, one of my favourite batsmen and an absolute star. India and Australia fans on this board who look at both sides of a story instead of hastily proceeding to put a foot in it. Not so well done some other fans on this board.

Posted by DamieninFrance on (October 7, 2010, 7:24 GMT)

As an Australian, I was disappointed that we lost the test. But as a cricketer, how can you not admire this man? For all of the praise that Tendulkar gets in India, I can assure you that Australians put more weight on Laxman's wickets than SRT's. I've now seen Laxman put Australia to the sword on TV in Sydney 2000, and THAT test in 2001 in India. I sat in the outer through the whole test in Adelaide when he and Dravid combined to win for the first time in Australia in decades in 2003-4. And now, after following what he managed again, two days ago, I have nothing but admiration for one of the world's greatest cricketers! It's wonderful to see that world cricket is competitive again. Shame that this series is only two tests...

Posted by ragh910 on (October 6, 2010, 20:08 GMT)

I am surprsed that most of you are spouting ur criticism on me instead of Laxman..But still none of you answered my question..

When was the last time Laxman did'nt use a runner..??

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 18:47 GMT)

Mr. Mental disintegrator, what a knock again! Aussies played well in taking first innings lead, India lost a sub-plot there, few more would have been disastrous.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 17:45 GMT)

Amazing bit of batsmanship we could watch. Reminded me the time he started playing with the tail so nonchalantly as if he was playing with the top order. That not only helped him to contribute well to the team, it gave the confidence that is necessary for tail enders to perform. Gone are the days where India lost the last 4 or 5 very cheap. Infact at times, they end up contributing more than the top half, thanks to the anchor!! Well done and continue the great work. Proud of u!!

Posted by sponnaganti on (October 6, 2010, 16:49 GMT)

Hats off to LAXMAN . What a wonderful innings under pressure with killing back pain. He's a boon to Indian cricket. He's a legend. @Ragh910 : Mr Ragh910, I suggest you to see a psychologist . Because you are thinking in wrong direction. If you ignore it , a day will come on which you'll yell on your self.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 16:04 GMT)

why don't we have Laxman in our ODI squad? I believe that he is the only guy in the Indian team, who can play the pull shot with enormous ease. We need either Laxman or Dravid in our ODI squad, should India win the World Cup. The short ball exposes the weakness in the Indian middle order. Hopefully the selectors remember the past experiences n select a balanced team.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 15:59 GMT)

@ whoever criticized Laxman and our Indian team: Havent you seen the test match? hw cud u post so meaningless criticizms?is this the first time you see a player with runner?Even the Australian captain dint ve anything to tell about it and u are deeply hurt by tat..? India is doing well in the "foreign green pitches".Please check stats.And how well is your teams with green pitches doing in our spinning pitches?Wen did they last win a series here?Understand this bro,Nor do other teams prepare pitches acc to our strengths and neither will we do it acc to their strengths.I think u understand all of this but you just wanna criticize just to be noted ryt?Don spoil the spirit of the nation.No one including you imagined India will win and still if we were able to do tat its a miracle.appreciate it(This is my first post.Nevr b4 i ve posted my comment but sometimes the provoccation to comment is so irresistible.)den,ageing wont affect a team until its havin a +ve impact on ta teams performance

Posted by mrgupta on (October 6, 2010, 14:29 GMT)

@chandru.saf: Comon dont be a Cry-baby. Stop crying, Australia did very well, so what if they have not beaten India is last 7 test matches. Few days ago people were going ga-ga over how great Aussies bowling attack was, now they are saying their bowling attack is new and inexperienced. Even India does not have a very potent or experienced attack and it was a fast bowler from India who did the damage and not a spinner. Aus got out on the lowest score of the test match (192) and then failed to get the wicket of our No.10 batsmen and let him survive for 92 balls! You still feel they are the best? The last 2 series results against No.2,3,4 and 5 teams - 2. SA won 2-1 and then 1-1 drawn, 3. SL lost 2-0 and then 1-1 drawn 4. Aus lost 2-0, now 1-0 behind, 5. Eng, lost 1-0 and 1-0, . So if you go by the records against top 5 teams in tests India only lost to SA in an Away series by 2-1 and in between Won away series against NZ and WI as well. That's not a bad record at all.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 13:41 GMT)

It was great to watch him. Makes us believe that stiffed back can pull the best from you. Loved this effort. Kaleem (from Lahore)

Posted by sreeadem on (October 6, 2010, 12:53 GMT)

Wt a nice chat... Probably one of the best innings by Laxman eventhough he was suffering form back pain... I rate this on top when compared to the 281-innings. Hats off to India n Laxman-Ishanth knock under those circumstances... :)

Posted by sublime_sport on (October 6, 2010, 12:24 GMT)

@Salauddin Shaik- Awesome comment on Ragh! If Laxman would have batted properly in the first innings we'd have beated Aus by an innings!

Posted by acnc on (October 6, 2010, 11:38 GMT)

ragh910 - drown your tears in your fosters! VVS is a king - he doesn't do menial jobs like fielding on a hot day!!

Posted by Venky_Virgo on (October 6, 2010, 11:18 GMT)

To Ragh :- OK,, if you think Aussies won yesterday,, good for you.. but dont read any newspaper s or watch sports news.. dont even google the result of this match..the score board never showed how much Afridi ran for Saaed Anwar when he scored the then world record 194..

so sit in a midday sun, close your eyes and convince yourself .. its a night.

Posted by avssrs on (October 6, 2010, 10:55 GMT)

chandru.saf's comment is not without merit. Compared to batsmen from SAF and Aus, our batsmen are probably better at playing spin but definitely more uncomfortable against the short ball, especially on seaming and bouncing pitches. Nothing to get angry about, it's just a home away thing.

For now, I think India can compete in SA mainly because we have somehow ended up with a batting line-up consisting of 4 all-time greats, who average high both home and away, and 3 very good batsmen. And it must be noted that on seaming and bouncy pitches, our bowling attack gets much better too. Zaheer and even Ishant and Sreesanth have performed quite well on pitches in SA and Aus, which explains India's recent victories there. I'm not saying India will win, I'm saying we can compete.

But. When 3 of these batsmen retire, which will be soon, we are screwed for at least a few years.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 10:55 GMT)

laxman sir please do take care of ur good self.......nd do get well soon>>>

Posted by Narayan.Shastri on (October 6, 2010, 10:20 GMT)

Some people say VVS is the great-nephew of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, former President of India. Great!

Posted by cskfangg on (October 6, 2010, 10:16 GMT)

@Indian_Rules- Dude,this fella ragh2010 is definitly not from TN..ok... Dont guess that from his ID... he may be from hyderabad..or..may be a guy who doesnt like Laxman... so stop hating ur neighbour states... We as a Indians..love Laxman,he is classy player,an architect in batting and most importantly he is a lovely humanbeing..(not like Indian_Rules or ragh2010 or chandrusf....LOL)

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 10:14 GMT)

Mr.Ragh, due to your disrepective and nagging comments on INDIA's national treasure, you are deprived of your citizenship and you are thrown out in the pacific ocean, no you dont deserve even the INDIAN OCEAN...

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 10:01 GMT)

VVS LAXMAN . .VERY VERY SPECIAL. . .THE KING OF WRIST PLAY

Posted by cgkirtikar on (October 6, 2010, 9:13 GMT)

Been reading through the comments on this article. Feel a little sad to see armchair critics who have possibly never played the game, castigating players. Whether they are from India, SAF, Ozland or elsewhere, it takes a lot of courage and stamina to last 5 days. As somebody who has played college and school cricket, I understand the rigours that your body goes through for even playing a two-day match. The physical exhaustion and mental drain is unimaginable. Any sportsperson from any discipline will vouch for the simple fact that although they do what they do for a living, they are still human and bound by the same rules of exhaustion (albeit with better endurance) as everyone else. The reason why we "commoners" applaud these sporting gladiators, is because they defy these physical laws for a short while with their physical prowess. The least we can do is clap with grace or refrain from unnecessary malice. It will be interesting to watch these imbeciles last an hour in the ring !

Posted by ani_che on (October 6, 2010, 8:41 GMT)

@chandru and ragh : how abt conveniently forgetting the fact that the umpires [yet again] almost ruined us everything with abs howlers for gambhir and ishant?and if india plays 4 most of the match with 10 men,it's india's loss.the fact that lax didn't really bat [he came an n.10,but hardly played] was india's loss.australia only benifitted!

Posted by VEGHA on (October 6, 2010, 8:37 GMT)

VVS Laxman - VVS stands very very special and he proved many times.Can we forget calcutta 2nd innings,P Sara century and yesterday innings.He always a silent person and he performs in action.Great Man and excellent cricketer.

Posted by ani_che on (October 6, 2010, 8:32 GMT)

the only complaint i have towards laxman is sometimes,he is too nice.i can't believe how shabbily he has been treated for years.robbed of three world cups - in favour of players like sadagopan ramesh,amay khurasia,dinesh mongia,sanjay bangar,robin uthappa and mohammed kaif!!and will ppl stop comparing our own jewels?i don't see a reason why i should give rankings to sachin,rahul,viru and vvs.the very fact that each one is a different kind of genius only makes me prouder!lax has been treated very shabbily by indians themselves and is the greatest cricketer to be born in an LOI/ODI-crazy era and yet not play in a world cup,despite having the credentials.despite the fact that he should have played ahead of sourav in the odi batting order and despite having his odi career ended during sourav's tenure,he was the 1st to lift sourav on his shoulders when he was retiring!that's VVS 4u!

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 8:19 GMT)

Amazing player & one of the most underrated.....till now haven't got the respect which he deserves.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 7:58 GMT)

@Srinivasan: Great Comment @Chandru: I would really like to see your comment after the SA serious. I am curious to know what excuse you are going to have when India wins that series.

Posted by N.Sridharan on (October 6, 2010, 7:45 GMT)

Zaheer got us into a winning position. Great effort. But, Mitchell Jhonson also matched this effort, with his bowling and batting. Man of the match need not be from the winning team only. VVS and Ishant must have been declared joint winners of the match!! Laxman's was not yet another special. It was incredible to say the least given the team position and his physical condition. 73 of 79 ball!! He should play in the ODI too once again!!!

Posted by Iftekharul_Hasan_Siam on (October 6, 2010, 7:16 GMT)

@ ragh910 - i think u r a newly cricket fan loving T20 cricket. or else u shouldn't ask your foolish questions. if you have problem in vvs laxman ok then don't watch his test matches any more & watch ur instant cricket. we all true cricket fans will continue watching sehwag/sachin/dravid/laxman's upcoming gr8 knock's & surely, also australians gr8 efforts.

Posted by KeenObserWhere on (October 6, 2010, 6:46 GMT)

@ragh910: Calm down dude!!! Who is molesting the rules???? The ICC rule is that he can only bat after 6 wickets are down since he did not field at all. Do you think Aus would not have stopped India if India were not playing be the rules?

@chandru.saf: India won the match and you have the nerve to call Aus the winners? Probably you forgot how the Indian team fared the last time they were in SA. Fogot the cricketers going crazy over Sreesanth's seam positioning? You should have asked Ponting to put fielders for all those edges and catches. How about those decisions that went against Gambhir and Ishant?

Posted by bolthaa on (October 6, 2010, 6:24 GMT)

@Indian_Rules: Your imagination shows the dirty thoughts you have against TN. I do not think anybody else from any state will throw a comment like you. ragh910 may or may not be an Indian. I do not want to turn this into lingual war. But you should know your limits. By the way Murali Vijay is a promise who will take years to come anywhere closer to VVS.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 6:21 GMT)

(sorry for a comment unrelated to the topic) isn't there anybody other than Sidharth Mongia who can write here...strange!

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 6:15 GMT)

well done lakshman bhai,it isn't the indian team which we've seen in the past.its the old blood wid new skin.......

Posted by postsituationist on (October 6, 2010, 6:06 GMT)

Imagine VVS is not in Cricinfo's All-time Indian XI! Remind me who've you got in at No.5 instead of him?

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 5:56 GMT)

@ chandru.saf - For the record, India won their last match at Jo'burg and also at Perth. Indian batsmen suffer less than Indian bowlers flourish in those conditions. Not to say that India is going to win again, but they won't be pushover, I think.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 5:43 GMT)

Well done. Hope he gets fully fit for the next match..

Posted by indianzen on (October 6, 2010, 5:10 GMT)

VVS - The Man, The Menace period

Posted by lsd123 on (October 6, 2010, 5:07 GMT)

Great knock from VVS. VVS is better than Tendulkar for this kind of situations.Good support from Sharma. I'm bit surprise why Laxman didn't get the man of the match award for this special innings.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 4:53 GMT)

very sad ragh, dont cry, dont cry, dont cry, save your tears for more wins to come or India and thrashing to **** aussies.

Posted by DINESHCC on (October 6, 2010, 4:40 GMT)

Chandru.Saf: Thanks for your comment. I wish you for a speedy recovery

Posted by Indian_Rules on (October 6, 2010, 4:24 GMT)

@ ragh910... 1st question - Do u know the rules of cricket?? 2nd question - Do u know how the game is played?? 3rd question - Are u one of those die hard Tamil Nadu fans who are jealous of laxman being there in the team and vijay being out???

Posted by Gopes_On_Dopes on (October 6, 2010, 4:21 GMT)

@ragh910 or whatever ur id is, congratulations!! You've got someone who supports ur views. @chandrusf i'm awaiting the SA series too man, mouthwatering stuff. And about aussies beating India, keep dreaming they're yet to beat us since 2007

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 4:03 GMT)

If Sachin is te god of cricket, then Laxman must be the devil for australia!

Posted by avis_2010 on (October 6, 2010, 3:49 GMT)

@ragh - Are you saying that if a player miss out on 1st days play then he should not play for the rest of the match with the logic that you have put ? How does it matter if it is 1 /2/3 or 4 days of not in ground ? Few things - 1) In first innings he came out as no. 10, was clearly very uncomfortable and got out soon (am sure nobody wants to get out just to show how much pain he has !) 2) India missed him as a slip fielder (he is one of the best slip fielders we have!) 3) Dhoni got out because of substitue runner and ojha almost got out bcos of that confusion. OR you would have been claiminng a rightful victory for ponting if india would have been playiing only with 10 players Come on iits a sports... both the teams put lot of effort in the match and that is shown by Aussies in the end when they tried till the last ball, Laxman who came out to bat and Ishant who took injections for 2 days and still came out to bowl as indian bowling was thin...Great Match..Congrats both teams

Posted by chandru.saf on (October 6, 2010, 3:44 GMT)

Ragh 910: Super comment. India is a country where every thing is overhyped. Let's see what this Indian team will do on Green tops when they tour SA later this year.. In this type of slow pitches when they are struggling to face short balls, i dont know what they will do in Joburg and Durban.

As far as the match, Aus are the winners. So many edges and catches fell short. Truly marvellous second innings bowling display with such a new attack. I hope they come back strongly and hammer India in the next test.

Posted by JUSTFORKIX on (October 6, 2010, 3:40 GMT)

@ragh910 - please get your facts right - VVS was on the field during the entire Aussie innings - in fact his back got aggravated while taking Paine's catch at 2nd slip. And by rules, if a player gets injured during the match, he's permitted to have a runner. Coming to your 2nd point, if VVS was able ro tun his own runs, it means that he was fit, so by that logic, he would have batted at #5 in both innings and not at #10 and #7. and probably contributed much more in the 1st innings than he did. So, that logic really does not hold

Posted by rezaghatok on (October 6, 2010, 3:30 GMT)

Well done VVS Laxman...Thank God Ishant and you have done the great job...you have had 14 onstacles i.e. 11 Australian and 3 umpires...and finally I was waiting to see your smiling face than your back pain...

Posted by nataraajds on (October 6, 2010, 3:16 GMT)

VVS & Ishanth won match for india. one of the most exiting test we have seen recently. they clinch victory from the jaws of defeat. another great show by Laxman.

Indian has to sort out their bowling problems , ohja did not impress at all.. we need to bring in Chawla or Ashwin quickly. Praveen kumar or Nehra should have been a better choice to replace Ishanth, because both are in good form. Don't understand why selectors going for inexperienced players.

Posted by Gopes_On_Dopes on (October 6, 2010, 3:08 GMT)

@ragh910, Indians would've appreciated it whole heartedly if Puncture or any other Aussie batsmen would've done the same thing. Remember Saeed Anwar's magical 194? It's only the aussie fans who cry and look for excuses like the one you've conjured up

Posted by viva_cric on (October 6, 2010, 3:07 GMT)

Wwwhhahaattt ? hadn't Laxman use runner India would have lost ???? Is there any logic beyond that point???. Had Laxman ran himself, India would have won so early, since there would be no run out of Dhoni and Laxman would have finished with much ease. And I would think that despite heroics of Laxman this victory is absolute team effort. In the first innings dravid and sachin ded well.Jaheer did well in both innings and also showed some resistance while batting on day 5. Ishant bounced back in the second innings.But major credit goes to Lax.

Posted by Capricorn60 on (October 6, 2010, 3:03 GMT)

ragh910: Get your facts right before u spout rubbish! VVS did field when the Aussies were batting in their 1st innings & even took a good low catch to get Paine out on the second day! Maybe ur problem is that u can't stomach the Indian team doing well & being the No.1 Test team at present!

Posted by charan200 on (October 6, 2010, 2:54 GMT)

very very special knock from vvs.....he z played a blinder and was equally supported by ishant....this is the test match we have saw with more intrest and excitement due to laxman's stylish innings....undoubtedly he is a nightmare for australia over the decade...hope he will recover for the start of second test....his presence will make team very strong....get well soon vvs...

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 2:49 GMT)

i can't wonder why people are annoyed with indian dominance.... They are forgetting that lux is equally good a fielder. In first inning he can't bat at all so aussies managed to had a lead which they could'nt have if dinesh would have been here or anyone and we were in better winning position.. Third taking runner is allowed if one is in hell of a pain...

Posted by manasvi_lingam on (October 6, 2010, 2:24 GMT)

Laxman is one of India's greatest batsmen of the modern era. Only Dravid during 2001-2006 and Tendulkar have been greater. Sehwag is more of a flat track bully though also a fine batsman. But Laxman has always been the model of consistency and he has been getting better with age. In fact, he is taking on the role Draivd too during his peak: India's go-to man.

Posted by Raju_Iyer on (October 6, 2010, 2:23 GMT)

To ragh910 : Even if your comments reek of hatred, please at least get your facts right. Australia did not bat for 4 days for you to be annoyed that this very special person did not field for 4 days. As for India molesting the rules, note that the umpires are from an International Panel and well aware of the rules. Did you notice that Ishant Sharma had to wait for a long time before he could bowl because he was not on the field earlier due to injury ? Get a lilfe Dude, learn about the basics before spewing venom! And if you remove those prejudiced filled glasses from your eyes, you can read on cricinfo about when was the last time VVS did not use a runner. Shame on you, I pity your ignorance!

Posted by Divinetouch on (October 6, 2010, 2:22 GMT)

Heartiest congrats VVS and Bharat Ma on a well deserved victory.

Jai Hind.

Unfortunately, ragh910 does not understand this truly great game called cricket yet the world allows ragh910 the opportunity to participate in this forum.

Posted by nish075 on (October 6, 2010, 2:17 GMT)

To all the judges of the All Time Indian XI who left out VVS, no other player apart from Kumble and Dravid has won as many matches for India. No one has done it in harder circumstances, no one has done it with as much style. Think again, we owe it to the man who is the ultimate creator of magical wins.

Posted by MrMMJ on (October 6, 2010, 1:57 GMT)

@rag910, Keep crying. We are not listening you. We are basking in the glory of a VVS knock.

Posted by   on (October 6, 2010, 1:15 GMT)

it was a wonderful moment when india beat Australia in test cricket in india , it was only because of VVS( Very very special ) Laxman 's excellent performance ! how can he do it for the third time !~ so nice of him to take India 1-0 lead . Hats off VVS Laxman ! Ishant is so young to do this support to laxman with all his injuries ! well that is the heroship in sports .. Well done India Team ! Siva subramanian Melbourne

Posted by ramshasumsai on (October 6, 2010, 1:09 GMT)

every body talking about the win. what about playing against so many factors. many decisions went against india. (even third umpire)(for dhoni's out). simon katich was out on the second ball. all is well that ends well. dravid is wall and vvs is the foundation. vvs will always be remembered

Posted by don_pedro on (October 6, 2010, 0:34 GMT)

@ragh910, let me turn your question around and ask you this? Do you think Ponting wouldn't have batted on day 5 if he were injured and hadn't fielded for 4 days and his team needed him? There are rules in place, and VVS and the Indian team followed them. Ishant fielded without bowling for as long as he had been out, and Laxman did not come in until the 5th wicket had fallen, both per the rules as they stand, and not because Ponting, in his infinite grace permitted them to come on early. If you've got a problem with the rules, take it up with the ICC.

Posted by Zubdog on (October 6, 2010, 0:15 GMT)

well done vvs! Australia is known for making excuses when they lose. So what if Doug Bollinger was injured IT'S TEST CRICKET.

Posted by Woody111 on (October 5, 2010, 23:48 GMT)

Hats off to you VVS; you've done it to us again. With so much talk around Sachin (understandably so) it should not be forgotten how important VVS and Dravid have been and continue to be for the Indian team.

Posted by   on (October 5, 2010, 23:29 GMT)

what's Very Very Special about Hyderabad. I've never seen M.L. Jaisimha but I've seen Azar and this VVS guy.... when in full flow there is nothing divine, except for SRT's stroke-play. So, saddened. VVS is 35... argghh

Posted by belichick007 on (October 5, 2010, 23:29 GMT)

ragh910 you j**k A$$.... shut your mouth if you cant appreciate one of the gr8est games.....as even ponting said....

Posted by bustermove on (October 5, 2010, 23:26 GMT)

If Laxman has struggled at times to make an impression on the psyche of the Indian people while surrounded by so many other batting stars, then I can assure you as an Aussie, he has no such problems with the Australian people. While Sehwag can club the ball with abandon and Dravid can graft his way to a position of power, to Australian eyes only the genius of Tendulkar can surpass him. In fact, with the exception of Tendulkar, I doubt India has ever had a more valuable player. Certainly it is hard to think of anyone who has singlehandedly won or saved so many lost causes. Add to that the fact that aesthetically he is probably the most beautiful player to watch since David Gower or Mark Waugh and you have the complete package. In the "pure grit" department he surpasses both of these players by some margin. Beats me why anyone in India would ever question his value.....and it has happened on plenty of occasions. Perhaps it's his unassuming nature and gentle smile. I think he's a gem.

Posted by Steve145 on (October 5, 2010, 23:19 GMT)

Well done laxman. Somehow he's always a thorn in our side. When the Australian resurgance shredded this Indian side Laxman was the only one to withstand, and there was nothing we could do about it.

Posted by thenkabail on (October 5, 2010, 23:18 GMT)

LAXMAN the GREAT; Everyone can score when going is easy. When it was 55 for 4 previous day, no one in their right mind would have betted on India. But, what Laxman achieved here and in Sri Lanka should go down as 2 great victories for India. My respect for Laxman has hit sky high. I was one of those thinking he should be replaced.......but this was a great, great, great victory. I am also now convinced that Ishant Sharma is a great find for India. Next test in Bangalore, we must have: Zaheer, Ishant, Sreeshanth, and Harbhajan. The combination will win test for India. I am sorry for Ojaha, but he will get his chances.

Posted by wikiwarrior on (October 5, 2010, 22:54 GMT)

@ragh910 LMAO What a bitter man... Australia lost bro biuld a bridge mate. VVS is such a cool name. Laxman's the man.

Posted by   on (October 5, 2010, 22:52 GMT)

Dude (or Dudess!) ragh910, donno what ur problem is, in any case, Lax did it again. I guess u lack sportsmanship to appreciate somebody for doing something remarkable, just because he is not from your team. Even the Aussies acknowledge Laxman's knock. So just chill, try to appreciate the good work and stop whining. BTW congrats Very Very Special Laxman for an awesome knock. I hope to see many more knocks from you and wish you be fit and healthy soon.

Posted by indianpunter on (October 5, 2010, 22:47 GMT)

What a fantastic test win by India. Take a bow, VVS!! I am afraid, though, that this win could shroud glaring deficiencies in the Indian team. Dravid's place, for one, should seriously be revisited. His game and form is in complete tatters and no one should be fooled by the sketchy 77 he made in the first innings. I have been a huge Dravid fan for so many yrs and it is sad to see him deteriorate the way he has. Dravid's solidity was based on his assurance around the off stump and he is now reduced to a bumbling novice. It is the way he gets out which concerns me the most. At his age, he is not going to get any better and the time is ripe to blood a new face in South Africa (or Murali Vijay at 3). It will be a great disservice , both to India and to Dravid, if he were to be picked for the SA tour. C'mon RD, retire in grace in Bangalore (home test farewell). You are undoing your good name.

Posted by Sshawn on (October 5, 2010, 22:29 GMT)

@ragh910...sour grapes aint it mate..typical mentality see the negative in every thing positive .. wonderful I hope it fulfills ur life. laxman is special if you cant get over it pad up and play against it..Murali vijay will get his time ..and if you dont know much about cricket why dont just keep ur A@ mouth sh...t

Posted by Batu on (October 5, 2010, 22:21 GMT)

In sports a win is a win. Kudos to India. As a team, India definitely deserved it.

But looking beyond the win, Australia should be proud of what they achieved and India have a lot to learn (1. something from Aussies on temperament, tenacity and focusing on present (job at hand) without too much fuss and 2. work on better physical strength, conditioning, running between the wicket etc)

Posted by no_second_chance_for_batsman on (October 5, 2010, 22:13 GMT)

Nice Article Sidharth & I envy your job :-)

VVS Laxman is a MIX of Rahul Dravid & Sachin. The only shot he doesn't do well is slogging & playing some cheeky shots like Sachin does. Frankly to me in Test matches, he comes above Sachin Tendulkar.

It was India's loss of NOT taking VVS during worldcup 2007. What happens when Dravid & Sachin get out early ?? You need a player like VVS Laxman to be there. And his strike rate is close to 100..If BCCI wakes up even now..its not too late to include VVS Laxman in WC2011. Or else time will whose loss it will be.

VVS please take care of your health. Please reach out to the Doctor in SRILANKA who has taken care the health of MALINGA, JAYASURYA & .. That doctor has SPECIAL powers & basically he uses Ayurvedic treatment. Please see that doctor. Wishing you all the best & many more years of sublime cricket. Cheers, Kumar (if you google VVS laxman you will see my BLOG that I wrote before 2007 WC)

Posted by   on (October 5, 2010, 22:06 GMT)

@ragh910 - it is up to the opposing captain to allow a runner and if ponting had an objection he would have said it...of course he if he had not allowed a runner the game would have not been played in the "Spirit of the Game".. remember the whole SA vs England saga?? this would have been much worse because it would have been against India. Also we didn't win because Laxman used a runner but because your bowlers weren't good enough. Aussies didn't have to get him out. Instead they needed to get Sharma and Ojha out...Sharma played more balls than laxman so you had your chances...too bad our tail was wagging..stop being a sore loser and accept a defeat...

Posted by hazardguy123 on (October 5, 2010, 21:56 GMT)

well, it`s great to see you all praise VVS ( which he deserves more than anybody). I would like to ask the author ( of this article) and his cricinfo team members, what did VVS didn`t do deserve a place in the world IX, atleast is the probables list. The greatest trait of a middle order batsmen should be his ability to win matches, and VVS has done that many a time, what you guys are doing is being unfair to this great person.

Posted by kumarcoolbuddy on (October 5, 2010, 21:38 GMT)

@ragh910, Do you think Autralia has won becasue Laxman used runner? What is the logic behind this puzzle? Players usually get runners only when he is unable to run. He has back pain and so got runner.

Posted by viva_cric on (October 5, 2010, 21:28 GMT)

Laxman, my heartly congratulations for your incredible achievment that fourth highest chasing in tests on indian soil. And you made us indians especially hyderabadi's proud.The Australians had been Laxed(affected by laxman). It is sad that laxman hasen't been respecting likes of dravid/sachin/sehwag/ganguly, perhaps he's a great batsman.But I would take that in a positive manner that would't affect his capability in pressure situations like today/P.Sara tests. Laxman always like a 'LAXMAN REKHA' between australia and victory. Keep it up. I hope you would bring more truimphs for india.

Posted by lense on (October 5, 2010, 21:24 GMT)

If only we have a good spinner, we are truly world beaters! Great knock VVS expecting many more :)

Posted by ragh910 on (October 5, 2010, 21:14 GMT)

what annoys me the most is that this special person didnt field for 4 days.There was a very good and fit fielder in Murali Vijay who substituted him on the field..then how does he hold the right to bat with a runner on 5th day..thats injustice..Do uthink Indian media would have accptedif Ponting did the same against India

I think Indians are molesting cricket rules every possible way

Posted by   on (October 5, 2010, 21:02 GMT)

Laxman has once again proved he's got the X factor that is crucial for test cricket to compete with T20. I personally rate him along Sachin, Sehwag and Dravid but I know critics will differ considering his consistency or the lack of it. I guess like Sachin it involves expectations too high. But I guess an average of 99 wouldn't mean as much as these glittering winning special knocks that this guy comes up with time and again. For averages and sheer run gathering we have Sachin and Dravid. For these Very Very Special Innings we got Laxman.

Posted by GeekyCricket on (October 5, 2010, 20:34 GMT)

Congratulations V.V.S! Interesting that you mentioned about Hyderabad.You still are HYD's main and best batsman.Over the years, HYD has produced very fine batsmen, M.L Jai Simha, Azhar ( if he could be forgiven) and Laxman. Its a pity for a cricket crazy city Hyderabad,that we do not have any young batsman pressing for selection. There is OJHA with ball and doing a good job.Would really love to see another batsman from HYD. There is Rayudu, with all the talent in the world.Hopefully, he can kick on.It would be nice if the city can contribute more to the Indian Cricket. Parikshith Reddy

Posted by ragh910 on (October 5, 2010, 20:04 GMT)

I dont think Australia lost today..Infact they they won..If laxman had ran his own runs India would have lost by a huge margin..By the way when was the last time Very Very Special Laxman didn't use a runner..??

Posted by   on (October 5, 2010, 19:58 GMT)

terriffic innings by laxy and a nice article to walk thru his mind!! Go Laxy go!!

Posted by raopreetam on (October 5, 2010, 19:50 GMT)

You are a legend VVS, Your name should be up there with the greats of Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman and sehwag. You earned it, and you deserve it. No matter how frustrated we get some times, but one innings like this fades all the bad ones. All the very best for the coming matchs Mr VVS

Posted by Manush on (October 5, 2010, 19:39 GMT)

Wonderful innings from VVS again and proved his worth in the team. Well done VVS and also Ishant for his fine contributions from bat and and ball despite his injury. India is proud to have the combination of Viru, Sachin,Dravid and VVS along with Zaheer which will be very difficult to handle by any opposition.

Sidharth MongaClose
Tour Results
India v Australia at Margao - Oct 24, 2010
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
India v Australia at Visakhapatnam - Oct 20, 2010
India won by 5 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
India v Australia at Kochi - Oct 17, 2010