Australia in India 2012-13

'I missed bowling in Chennai' - Watson

As India's batsmen piled on runs in Chennai, Watson was itching to take the ball confirming in his mind that giving up bowling wouldn't be a permanent move

Brydon Coverdale

February 28, 2013

Shane Watson bears a frustrated look as Sri Lanka batsmen continue to thwart the attack, Australia v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Hobart, 5th day, December 18, 2012
Shane Watson: "The decision I made is more a longer-term decision to get some running and conditioning into my legs, so when I start bowling again, my body has more chance of handling it" © Getty Images

If Shane Watson's commitment to playing as a batsman only on this tour was ever going to be tested, standing in the field for 154.3 overs during India's the first innings in Chennai was the time. As the runs piled up for India and Australia's attack struggled for impact they missed Watson's bowling, and Watson missed being part of it. But he said while the possibility of bowling later on the tour had crossed his mind, he knew that for the sake of his fitness and form, he had to stick to his plan.

Over the past few years in Test cricket, Watson has had a happy knack of breaking partnerships and an unhappy habit of breaking down. His most recent injury, the problem with his left calf that ruled him out of the third Test against Sri Lanka in January and the one-day series that followed, prompted him to declare that he would give up bowling for the Test tour of India to concentrate on his batting, and on stringing together as much cricket as he could.

Having missed the whole of the previous Australian Test summer due to calf and hamstring injuries, and then the Brisbane and Adelaide Tests against South Africa, Watson decided his best option was to temporarily give up bowling. As India's batsmen put on a series of frustrating partnerships in Chennai, Watson was itching to take the ball and he said the experience had confirmed in his mind that giving up bowling would not be a permanent move.

"That was a time that reaffirmed to me that I do want to bowl," Watson said. "That was a time where if I hadn't have made the decision not to bowl for this tour that I could have had some input on the game at a crucial time in the match. That to me was the first time over the last month since I came back that I missed bowling.

"The decision I made is more a longer-term decision to get some running and conditioning into my legs, so when I start bowling again, my body has more chance of handling it. I do appreciate the decision but it certainly reaffirmed to me that I'm never going to give up bowling. It excites me having some input on the game, especially when what I do could have an influence on a certain part of the game."

For the time being, Watson's plan is to resume bowling during the second half of the IPL with the ultimate goal of being able to contribute with the ball during Australia's Ashes tour of England in July and August. He said while the thought of bowling at some point on the Indian tour was tempting - he has taken 12 wickets at 33.41 in his past six Tests in the country - he was resigned to the fact that his existing plan was a better long-term idea.

"That thought has gone through my mind a few times but I suppose we do have to stay on course," Watson said. "There were reasons why I made that decision - to try and get my body conditioned enough to get back into my bowling.

"I know I've needed two or three months just to be able to get some conditioning into my body, to then hopefully hold together for the next period of time once I get back bowling again. There is a big reason why I'm not bowling at the moment - in between the Test matches to get some running into my legs to continue to build that resilience, so I can hopefully just stay together."

In committing to his long-term plan to stay on the field, Watson took advice from Cricket Australia's medical staff as well as his personal physio, Viktor Popov, and it was made after discussing the idea with the captain Michael Clarke. The bowling issue came to a head after the Hobart Test against Sri Lanka, when Watson bowled 47.4 overs, easily the most he had ever sent down in a game, and he struggled with his calf in the next Test.

"I took a lot of information in at the time, especially through the summer having the same calf injury again and also the amount I bowled in Hobart, that was the most I've ever bowled in my career in four or five-day cricket," Watson said. "I knew my body could handle it, it was more so backing up to handle it again. I had to get the right conditioning in my legs, things like running technique, doing all those things to give myself a better chance to hold together my body when I'm bowling.

"But I also need to be more careful in the future about the overs I do bowl. One, I have the chance to do it more consistently and have less chance of injury but also there were times when it affected my batting, more so in Test cricket over the last 12 to 18 months, especially when I was opening. There were a number of reasons why I made that decision, most importantly is trying to score some runs in Test cricket as well."

To that end, Watson has been working in the nets on his footwork, with the intention of being able to come down the pitch to India's spinners rather than simply playing back as he has on previous tours of India. He made 84 and 60 during the warm-up match against India A and showed encouraging glimpses in the first Test but was unable to build a big score, falling for 28 in the first innings and 17 in the second.

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Brydon Coverdale

Posted by line.and.length on (March 1, 2013, 14:31 GMT)

This so-called "long-term plan" has been going on ever since Watson first got his baggy green... there is no doubt that on talent and ability alone Watson deserves a place in the test playing XI, however, apart from his occasional "handy" quick runs and wickets, the role he has played most consistently is as the one player who has made sure that Australia has not been able to have a settled side... he's in the side, may or may not perform, then he's then injured and out again, then automatically walks/limps back into the side again. I'm not saying it's anything it's his or anyone else's fault, but it is what it is. ... even if he played over 3-4 more years, how many of those tests would he be able to play? I remember Callum Ferguson was beginning to cement his place in the odi side and even on the verge of a test call-up not that long ago, gets injured and has to prove himself again.... the NSP have to plan for the future Oz cricket, not Watson's future

Posted by ScottStevo on (March 1, 2013, 13:32 GMT)

@MadHamish, I was going to make the same point re Watson at opener! Really, we need to drop Cowan and push Watson back to the top. It's obvious he feels comforatble/confident there. Bring in Khawaja in the middle order, say 6 or 4. Please, no more talk of moving Clarke in the order - so sick of it. The guy is scoring bucket loads at 5 - why move him? Just find someone to fill the spots around him. Also, there's a lot being made of Henriques after one good test match. I'm glad he played well, but you have to understand the guys 1st class batting average is only 30, so it'll be very interesting to see how he goes from here. His excellent debut warrants his spot in the next, but please don't be fooled into thinking this guy is a worthy number 6. Yes, I know he's batting at 7, but it's disgraceful to see Wade at 6, not even Gilly batted at 6 and Wade is no Gilly. In fact, I'd be quite happy to see the back of Wade - too immature for test cricket, I'd rather see Paine. Also, Maxwell is a no

Posted by   on (March 1, 2013, 12:34 GMT)

watto should practice alot to be bowling with out getting injured

Posted by rohanbala on (March 1, 2013, 9:13 GMT)

It looks as though Watson is trying to justify his place in the playing XI after having failed miserably in the first test at Chennai. What is the use of calling himself as an all rounder when he cant bowl and scores only 20s and 30s with the bat?

Posted by   on (March 1, 2013, 9:09 GMT)

Watto - Follow the work ethics of Mr. Kallis.

Posted by DINESHCC on (March 1, 2013, 8:06 GMT)

MEETY: "definitely NEEDS to bowl to be WORTH his spot in the team". You forgot his 18 ball five wickets burst against SA in SA during 2011-12.

Posted by whofriggincares on (March 1, 2013, 5:11 GMT)

@ Rednwhitearmy, now that is rich taking potshots at the Aussies for imported players. Henriques moved to Australia at the age of 1 and Ahmed hasnt even played a test yet ,although I think he will. The only way the english have become competitive has been to stock the side with players that have not only been born in another country but learned to play cricket away as well. 10 Aussies 11 South Africans , 11 West Indians (including Cowans,Small,Defreitas,Malcolm, and Lewis has their ever been a quality quick born in england?) Throw in a Zimbabwean, (Hick) a kenyan (pringle). Gee a lot of your quality players have been born elsewhere.61 imported players in your test history ,now that is a huge percentage. perhaps you should call yourself rednwhitengreennbluenblacknorangenyellownbrownnmarroonngreynArmy .Why not cover all the flags of your reps.And dont forget the Saffers without them you would still be trying to win back the Ashes LOL. Dont ignore your heritage!

Posted by   on (March 1, 2013, 4:23 GMT)

Overrated all rounder who gets lucky with the ball.

Posted by Meety on (March 1, 2013, 4:19 GMT)

Watson is on the verge of another flip flop. Definately an opener, definately a #3, definately a #4, definately an allrounder, definately a specialist batsmen, definately NEEDS to bowl to be WORTH his spot in the team (based on his Test batting stats of late).

Posted by jmcilhinney on (March 1, 2013, 2:47 GMT)

Watson says that he missed bowling but, if he had had a bowl on that pitch in Chennai then maybe he would have felt differently. Obviously CA have a plan for Watson but it's hard to see how anything will change regarding his fitness. He's almost 32 so if he hasn't been able to bat and bowl without injury so far then I don't see that changing. If Watson can't bowl or Henriques proves a success as an all-rounder then I feel that Watson's only chance of staying in the team is if he opens the batting and is more successful there than his overall record. He'd need to average at least mid forties going forward to warrant a place as a batsman alone you'd think.

Posted by Mad_Hamish on (March 1, 2013, 2:36 GMT)

What people seem to miss about Watson is that while his stats over the last couple of years aren't great overall his stats in the series he has played are comparable to other people in the same series. Considering the trouble we've had replacing openers since Hayden and Langer retired I don't see why people are writing Watson off currently. As an opener he averages 43.67 with 2 100s and 15 50s from 45 innings. Cowan averages 32.62 with 1 100 and 5 50s from 24 innings, Hughes as an opener averages 34.58 with 3 100s and 3 50s from 32 innings, Warner 45.08 with 3 100s and 6 50s from 27 innings. So Watson is much more likely to make a 50+ score than anybody else we've tried which at least means he's protecting people from the new ball better as an opener and he averages significantly higher than anybody but Warner (who still doesn't convince he's a long term good bet)

Posted by hycIass on (March 1, 2013, 1:51 GMT)

@PFEL i was very impressed with Moses, but he is in a different position to Khawaja, Khawaja will come in the top 6 batsman and my prediction is that he will take Cowan's spot who is just not cutting it at the top level. Khawaja at at one point has only had 1-2 games whereas Cowan has had 14 tests in a row, so lets give Khawaja at least a full series and i think both him and Hughes can be future stars for us. And with regards sports player management, the mumbo-jumbo aside, if I was a fast bowler selected for Australia, I would want to be representing my country at every possible opportunity, & if it meant signing an affidavit to take responsibility for perhaps pushing myself too hard into injury, then I would willingly sign.Maybe today's generation is used to be told by medical staff whether they're fit or not to take the field, but I would certainly have resented it in my day.

Posted by Mary_786 on (March 1, 2013, 1:44 GMT)

@JonoMakim no doubt that Khawaja has to be the man at 4, selectors have confidence in him otherwise he wouldn't be on tour and i am sure he will star in the ashes. Watson, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, Henriques is the ashes combination. Also heard today that Siddle might not be as fit as one might hope. I hope this is wrong not because Siddle is a world-beater but we are rapidly running out of ptions.As for Pattinson et al, I'm not sure Test matches are the place to be nursing bowlers. If he says he's right to go then he's bloody well right to go. And if that means his captain gives him the ball more than the gurus wish then so be it. It seems these days we not only have to go in short of top strength but we then have to play with one arm tied behind our back.

Posted by popcorn on (March 1, 2013, 0:49 GMT)

It is not for Shane Watson to decide whether he wants to bowl or not. It is the Captain's job to decide that - because is the Captain's job to LEAD the Team to a Test Win. If Watson DOES NOT WANT TO BOWL, to protect his tender body, he is not batting well either to merit a place in the Team.He should be sacked.

Posted by MinusZero on (March 1, 2013, 0:44 GMT)

Henriques out-Watsoned Watson in the first test. He did what the selectors should have been wanting Watson to do. Bat in the lower order and bowl tidily. But instead they are obsessed with producing a Flintoff. News flash, Flintoff wasnt a top order bat. Watson must produce runs or be dropped for an actual bastman. I would keep Henriques over Watson, he bats well and doesnt try to smash every ball and get out with dumb decisions every innings (so far).

Posted by RoJayao on (March 1, 2013, 0:01 GMT)

Yeah he was great value in that first test, Watson! His bowling has kept him in the team cos his batting isn't worth a pinch of the Delhi salts!

Posted by Rowayton on (February 28, 2013, 23:37 GMT)

Frankly I think Watson is more value to Australia playing as an all rounder when fit and not playing at all when not fully fit. Bust a gut and then rest, Watto. As others have said, two centuries in 39 Tests - that is, I repeat, equivalent to a total of 2 centuries in eight Ashes series, just does not cut it as a specialist batsman. How long can you get picked on potential? And by the way Johan Kotze, David Warner averages 44 plus in Tests. If you think that is low 30s then I have a good financial deal for you.

Posted by lisadb99 on (February 28, 2013, 23:07 GMT)

I am with you disco-bob - why on earth did Clarkey not make hime bowl a few overs? Not 30 or 40 but just a handful????

Posted by wellrounded87 on (February 28, 2013, 21:24 GMT)

@Johan Kotze what are you smoking mate? Warner is mid 40's 44.23 to be exact. Much better than Watson's 36.6 He's already got more 100's than Watson. Hughes needs a chance to settle. His first class record is outstanding, once he's comfortable at the national level his performances should reflect his domestic form.

Posted by crh8971 on (February 28, 2013, 20:03 GMT)

Has averaged 27 with the bat in tests since the beginning of 2011 with only 4 half centuries. Given that Henriques has shown that he could be a guy to bat well at 6 or 7 and provide 10 to 15 overs a day of medium pace then I am not surprised he is keen to bowl again as there is no justification to select him as a batsman.

Posted by disco_bob on (February 28, 2013, 19:00 GMT)

Clark made two major blunders in the last Test. 1. being too cute with Pattinson, 2. Not giving Watson 2 overs just as he would any batter who can roll his arm over.

Posted by gregjones on (February 28, 2013, 17:00 GMT)

Australia's team selection is a sick joke. Watson does not deserve a place in the team solely as a batsman but he is picked on a trying tour like India. He simply does not have the temperament of an opener which he proves almost everytime he bats.He seems to be in good form but gets out as soon as he crosses 40 or 50 which one will never find in solid openers.There are so many good batsmen out there in Australia but Watson is picked for whatever purpose.Likewise Lyon is picked even though his 1st class record is abysmal.Maybe he is closely related to either Clarke or John Inverarity or else I don't see anything in Lyon that merits his selection in any match.The Indians would be laughing their hearts out at the garbage they have been served by Lyon.Hughes looks terribly out of sync and should be pushed down the order.Warner is ala Sehwag.Siddle is all heart but no wickets.Starc,Pattinson,Glen Mitchell,Johnson and Doherty to be the bowlers in the 2nd test if the OZ have got any chance.

Posted by popcorn on (February 28, 2013, 16:16 GMT)

The way Shane Watson is batting, getting out cheaply, he won't be in the Test Side very soon - let alone bowl.

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 15:47 GMT)

had he bowled result would be on th other side

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 15:43 GMT)

yes bcauz u r the best allrounder in the world

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 15:43 GMT)

Watson's bowling hasn't actually troubled Dhoni or SRT in any forms of the game. The head to head stats between them and the Nagpur 2008 test - where Dhoni overcame Watson's good spell on day 4 was critical to that test. Not sure about Kohli, but Watson wasn't really missed that much with the ball.

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 13:18 GMT)

As a SAfrican supporter we will be delighted if Watson is dropped. He is one of the few current Aussies that can cause us harm. His batting average is still better than the ones of Cowan, Hughes and Warner who all have averages in the low thirties. Begin by changing these three, but who am I to tell you what to do?

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 13:11 GMT)

yeah i want to see you bowling in ipl.i just love ur destructive batting as well as your tricky bowling.welcome to the summer watto.

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 13:05 GMT)

Quite the saga this, unlike a lot of posters here, i feel Watto´s time in the baggy green is now limited. We have heard Clarke say time and time again that Watto needs to be bowling to hold his place. I feel if he doesn´t make runs in India and then struggles in England too, that he will be usurped by Henriques as the batting allrounder in the team. Frankly I see this as the most likely scenario now.

I´m not sure who replaces him at no.4. though and thats the only reason I see him in the team right now. The selectors seem to have little confidence in Khawaja, with various others constantly leapfrogging him it doesn´t bode well for Ussie unless he can make more FC centuries.

Warner, Cowan, Hughes, ?????, Clarke, Henriques, Wade, Pattinson, Starc, Lyon, and any one of Siddle, Johnson, Bird, Harris or Cummins is the team slowly taking shape.

Posted by paps123 on (February 28, 2013, 12:14 GMT)

I just cannot comprehend this joke that Watson is debated on whether he should be played as just batsman. Well, he undoubtedly is only second to Clarke in the Australian team in terms of his batting and probably the only batsman a bowler would be worried about bowling to, unlike David Warner, who is an absolute joke against even ordinary spinners.

Posted by   on (February 28, 2013, 11:36 GMT)

For me, Watson either opens the batting and bowls about 10 overs an innings as he did in his best period under ponting.... or he doesnt play and a future prospect and specialist batsman like khawaja does... it really is that simple

Posted by PFEL on (February 28, 2013, 10:52 GMT)

I think Khawaja has been leapfrogged by Henriques. In both innings of his debut test Henriques did what Khawaja has been unable to do in 11 innings.

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (February 28, 2013, 10:44 GMT)

Yep, they certainly missed watsons slow medium tripe in the first test.

Next game they need to include the pakistan born lad & move the portugese lad up the order.

Posted by Mary_786 on (February 28, 2013, 10:10 GMT)

@land47 good points, as an allrounder he is very valuable but without his bowling he will have a tougher job. No doubt Clarke is our best player but when Watto is doing both he is our second best player. @Sunil yes hopefully Khawaja gets an extended run but he will have his work cut out if he covers for Watto as he will be thrown to the lions but he is good enough

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (February 28, 2013, 10:09 GMT)

Just 4 or 5 overs would have been fantastic. It would have been the buffer needed so that we could have had not just Pattinson but also Starc being able to be used in their proper role as firepower bowlers. Using Starc as a stock bowler was horrifying and was never going to bowl, let alone him bowling around the wicket. 4 or 5 overs here and there hopefully won't kill him.

Posted by Vnott on (February 28, 2013, 10:08 GMT)

A test average of 36, Highest of 126, 2 centuries and just 2526 runs from 39 tests is a incredibly poor record for Watto. His One day exploits are far better. Only 62 wickets also is no justice. Fitness aside he has seriously under-performed. It will be good to see some good attacking cricket from him in the remaining tests and at 32 it is about time he showed better results

Posted by Thefakebook on (February 28, 2013, 10:01 GMT)

Watto doing the right thing ,he is the only player in OZ team to play all their matches in all 3 forms as an all rounder.So breaking down every now and then is normal.He is good nuff to play as a batsman too but only if he opens he is not good in the middle order.OZ at the moment need a good middle order batsman for that no.5 and no. 6 . CLARKE should bat no. 4.Wade is not bad but still Tim Paine would be my first choice keeper .Haddin is nearly 36 he should retire already!! If you ask me OZ have got good middle order guys in Ferguson,Burns,Mitch Marsh(oh yeah he bowls too), Maddinson,White,Cozgrove,so on so why are they playing 5 openers in the top six? Any ways hope to see some of these players playing a good strong middle order OZ batting soon.

Posted by Beertjie on (February 28, 2013, 9:59 GMT)

Agree @ landl47 on (February 28, 2013, 7:23 GMT), but there is a case for having them both. A RHB who can counter off-spinners like Ashwin and Swann is essential. Clarke needs to move up to 4 permanently. Who bats 5 and 6 is still up for grabs but I hope Watson or Henriques (or even better both) can help provide good options for the team. The keeper must bat 7 since no one is a good enough bat to bat higher. It's the top 3 positions that require sorting out and the sooner the better.

Posted by satishchandar on (February 28, 2013, 8:28 GMT)

Well.. No matter batting track or bowling track or flat wicket, Watson's bowling will work everywhere almost. Though not of same results. He is a very good swing bowler and can reverse it too at decent pace. He is a bit deceptive and mostly catches the batsmen off gaurd. His bowling will always be missed. What he should look is, to contribute more with batting, He is one guy who can attack spin in the top order along with Clarke. Warner is still a newbie to India in longer formats. Batting in IPL and here in tests is entirely different. Watto need to pull up even more and contribute more in the batsman role he is performing to compensate for the all rounder role which he is no more performing.

Posted by venkatesh018 on (February 28, 2013, 8:16 GMT)

Just nice to know Watto hasn't given up on bowling totally...Clarke should be grateful...

Posted by Dangertroy on (February 28, 2013, 7:28 GMT)

don't whine about it watson, you made the decision, so stop being a tease. I'd like nothing more than for Watson to be able send down some overs. He can help lighten the load for the other quicks and has a knack for taking handy wickets. I almost value his smart bowling more than his batting. I never quite understood the decision to give up bowling for a while. If its about strength and conditioning, then why not do it away from the game, or in shield cricket, and give a specialist batsman a chance. Or acknowledge that bowling just leads to injuries and give it up for good. I also don't understand why he didn't sit out the Melbourne test (or be rotated) given his workload in Hobart. Shouldn't team management have advised against this? Isn't he a part of informed player management? I value Watson in the side, but with Henriques performance in the last match, if Watson doesn't fire with the bat then perhaps he should sit out the rest of the series and wait until he is fully fit.

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (February 28, 2013, 7:26 GMT)

We need Watto bowling, can you imagine how good the team looks with 2 good allrounders in Watson and Henriques. Watson should open the batting as well. Also its confirmed that Bird is not coming back. I think there is enough pace options already but I think Cutting or Harris will be next cab off the rank.Haurtiz would be a good choice but that won't happen. They may wait till performance of spinners in next test to give them justification to replace on performance. We will miss Watson when he flies home for the birth of his child but Khawaja will be a good replacement for him even though its a shame he only gets 1 game again. Also i know Cutting is injured at the moment but i don't think its serious.

Posted by whofriggincares on (February 28, 2013, 7:23 GMT)

"I missed bowling in Chennai" . Are you bowling leggies these days Watto? Fast bowlers were holding their breath till they passed out so they wouldnt have to bowl on that track.

Posted by landl47 on (February 28, 2013, 7:23 GMT)

Australia missed his bowling, too, especially as he is really not a good enough batsman to play in the top 4. An average of 36 and 2 hundreds in 39 tests tells the story- he's good for a quick half-century but not much more.

As an allrounder he's very useful. As a specialist batsman, he's a weak link. Compare him with Matt Prior; Prior is the same age (31), has 6 hundreds and an average of 43 in 62 tests- and Prior keeps wicket and bats #7. If England stuck him in the top 4 and he didn't keep, he'd be as out of place as Watson is and Prior's numbers are a lot better.

Watson should be in Henriques' spot, but if Henriques keeps going the way he has started, there might not be a place for Watson at all.

Posted by phunny_game on (February 28, 2013, 7:17 GMT)

He is being persisted as a batsman only because he has a lot of experience of indian conditions... Otherwise i don't think as a batsman he deserves a place in the team. Heard a lot about Khawaja. Maybe he can be tried ih place of watson. And i always believed he is a better bowler than batsman... He is like kallis, partnership breaker...

Posted by dwblurb on (February 28, 2013, 7:17 GMT)

Good to hear that he does intend to bowl again, hopefully in time for the England tour.

Posted by guptahitesh4u on (February 28, 2013, 6:50 GMT)

Watson as batsman is not as useful as watson the bowler. he as a bowler, provides more balance to the team and would have allowed them to include a second spinner in the playing XI without thinking too much. Anyways, it is also important that he sticks to the fitness plan as he has rightly said that his decision is part of a long-term plan!

Brydon CoverdaleClose
Brydon Coverdale Assistant Editor Possibly the only person to win a headline-writing award for a title with the word "heifers" in it, Brydon decided agricultural journalism wasn't for him when he took up his position with ESPNcricinfo in Melbourne. His cricketing career peaked with an unbeaten 85 in the seconds for a small team in rural Victoria on a day when they could not scrounge up 11 players and Brydon, tragically, ran out of partners to help him reach his century. He is also a compulsive TV game-show contestant and has appeared on half a dozen shows in Australia.
Tour Results