Australia in India 2012-13 February 28, 2013

Jadeja's new avatar

Ravindra Jadeja is most widely recognised as a limited-overs specialist and was anointed an IPL 'rockstar' by Shane Warne. Now he wants to "play in white clothes for India."
136

Included in the Indian equation devised to flummox Australia over four Tests at home is a variable: Ravindra Jadeja, allrounder. In India, Jadeja is most widely recognised as a limited-overs specialist, was anointed an IPL 'rockstar' by Shane Warne and is often slotted in as a prototype modern player, besotted only by the mod-cons thrown up by Twenty20 cricket.

But just because he sports a tattoo - his nickname, 'Jaddu' with flowers around it - owns a Hayabusa motorcycle and a horse (among other forms of transportation) doesn't mean Jadeja's ambitions are restricted merely to razzle-dazzle. At one point last season, Jadeja went up to his Saurashtra coach Debu Mitra and said, "I want to play in white clothes for India." Mitra told him he would have to improve his batting and internalise switching gears.

The big-picture message: "Get 100 runs in a session in a Test - and the Test can still be open. You have to make it a habit to stay." In 2009-2010, Jadeja had moved up the order from No. 5 & 6 for Saurashtra to No. 4 behind Cheteshwar Pujara. The move gave him the opportunity to reel off big scores, including the three Ranji Trophy triple-centuries for which he is now famous.

In a batting-heavy domestic competition, Jadeja is the first Indian to score three triples, with two in 2012-13. It is his most recent - against Railways at his home ground in Rajkot - that Mitra believes has put him in contention for India. "His first 50 came in 162 balls - what does that tell you? He was not the same Ravindra Jadeja everyone had seen in ODIs and T20s." Mitra calls Jadeja a "three-in-one player" - and says, "had he played in the Mumbai Test against England, he would've been a different bowler there."

Jadeja is in the white clothes these days, having made his Test debut in Nagpur three months ago. The hard yards of being a genuine allrounder in Test cricket lie ahead. His selection into the Test XI still causes much mumbling. This is a bits-and-pieces player, neither specialist batsman nor specialist bowler, who can tonk the ball and bowl a tight stump-to-stump line as a reserve spinner on heinous wickets. (Great relief then that his fielding is based on a modern regulation: thou shalt not pass.) But a Test allrounder? His state coach says, "He is only 23-24 years old, he is an intelligent cricketer and is a natural. He shouldn't be over-coached. Give him some time, it is only his second Test. I want him to be the best allrounder for India."

In real terms, Jadeja is the reason captain M S Dhoni has been pushed one spot up the order to No.6. Dhoni has declared that his position at No.6 is a given until Jadeja gets "comfortable and used to international Test cricket." If he did well, "according to the amount of talent he has" that batting spot would be reconsidered. While Jadeja's Test figures so far read 8-260 at 32.50 at under two runs an over, his two innings at the crease have produced 12 and 16.

The demands on Jadeja's batting will only increase. Looking back on his dismissal in Chennai, bowled letting go one from Pattinson that knocked back his off stump, Jadeja said, "I had played 45 balls and had even got set a little. Had I played for 15-20 minutes more, I'm sure I would have been able to bat longer." He admitted to feeling a little "nervous" at not being able to score runs off his strokes. "It's not that I was feeling pressure or anything, just not scoring runs. I should have been more careful." Mitra sets another standard for the man who wants whites. "I would like to see him play 10 consecutive maiden overs in Test cricket. Turn solid defence into a part of his offence."

No matter what is made of his role in the India Test team, there is one constant Jadeja sticks to across all formats. He will not choose any category to be fitted into, between batting or bowling all-rounder. "My thinking is that whenever I play for India I have to score runs and I have to take wickets. If I keep doing only one out of those two jobs, then I won't be an all-rounder which is what I'm here for. As much as I can, I have to improve in both departments."

Sharda Ugra is senior editor at ESPNcricinfo

• Sir.Ivor on March 1, 2013, 5:07 GMT

I was always very impressed by Jadeja right from his U 19 days. He looked a natural athlete to me andseemed very grooved for cricket. He comes from a part of the world from where Vinoo Mankad came -- apart from Ranji Duleep and Hanumant Singh--.Somehow I believe that Ravindra Jadeja could go on to become one of the greatest all rounders we have seen.Right now the debate that rages on is whether he should be part of the spin combination or not. I recall a time when India fielded,Nadkarni,Durrani and Surti,all left handers but totally different to each other.If Bapu Nadkarni could bowl 24 overs with 23 maidens giving 1 run, in a Test match,Durrani bowled flighted high arm spin with great deception.Surti was as we know a home grown Sobers.And so Jadeja is in this present cluster.Highly influential. He bowls round arm like Vinoo Mankad did and has an appetite for big scores. He has the courage of a martial from the parts he hails from. We should never dither with him.He is a matchwinner.

• sasi_trueindian on March 1, 2013, 2:30 GMT

Jadeja was the best bowler there in the Nagpur match..chawla got the tailenders because they were poor in picking spinner's variations..he bowled with a lot more control than bhajji and also ojha when bowling for long spells..he hasn't got what it takes to be a complete bowler still..but if anything he will grow..his batting will pick..give him time..first 2 innings of a career can never make good proofs for bad performance.. People want him to be replaced by Rahane..well..his weakness against pace was brutally exposed by Finn..gavaskar himself (usually never speaks ill of a Mumbai guy) told that he needs work on his footwork before succeeding..speakingof all-rounders in the country..Yusuf is better known for getting carried away..and is no better than a Raina in bowling..rassol..well..lets see more of him before making him a hero..

• on March 1, 2013, 0:30 GMT

A year back, I was not at all impressed with Jadeja; neither his batting nor bowling. What surprised me most was that his leg spin bowling has improved significantly. He can now actually turn it a bit and on a responsive wicket like Chennai, he is at least as much effective as Ojha if not more. His batting will improve; good technique but what he lacks is mental toughness to take on the best in the world for FIVE DAYS! Actually, I cam compare him to Shane Watson and Phil Hughes in many ways. A lot of us in Australia thought Watson was hugely over-rated as an all rounder and even as a batsman. Australian selectors kept immense faith in him and while he has started paying back, though not yet true to his potential. Also, re Phil Hughes. As a coach, I would refuse to play him even in a first clas team (I have seen him from his under 16, Bradman Cup days). But selector's faith in him paid dividends this summer. Give Jadeja a break. He has potential to be a genuine spin bowling allrounder.

• Devin48 on March 1, 2013, 0:12 GMT

He is a very hardworking cricketer and I hope the selectors give him a long run in the test format. He can be the trump card India needs only if he proves himself whether with good runs with the bat or wickets with the ball. His bowling has started well but he needs some time with the bat. Go Rockstar...hope you do well for India. Since Dhoni says that he will bat at 6 as long as Jadeja plays... that is great news for India.

• Nutcutlet on February 28, 2013, 19:58 GMT

I like his ambition &, most refreshing amongst Indian cricketers, he wants to succeed at the top level, wearing whites in the white-heat of TC for his own professional pride. Sweating it out over five days of intensive cricket has limited appeal for some of his elders & betters, but Jadeja wants to take it on. He is not Test class at the moment (although his fielding demonstrates that he is a fit & agile young man) yet what can a cricket-lover do but wish him well. He has time on his side & he has much learning to do. All the best, RJ, I hope you make it!

• rookie4u on March 2, 2013, 6:45 GMT

There is absolutely no doubt on his talent as far as T20 cricket is concerned. With ODI's he is still to prove himself around different pitches and especially on fast and bouncy tracks. I'm really surprised at his selection in Tests. There are so many specialist players like Rahane, Dhawan, Tiwary, Murali, Pujara. I really find it hard to believe that they are trying to fit him into an all-rounder's job which seems very difficult. You can neither call him a batting all-rounder nor a bowling all-rounder. He might shine in an odd-ODI but, he will certainly be not effective in Tests. Tests require specialists and once in a while we get great all-rounders like Kallis, Akram, Kapil, Bottam, Imran. I don't see India getting any benefit from players like Jadeja as far as Tests are concerned.

• on March 2, 2013, 3:15 GMT

The most important department in Cricket is fieding and Jadeja scores a huge point there. He is an all rounder may come close to Garfield Sobers who knows. Scoring 3 triple centuries is no joke how many centuries he had saved runs wise. The catches he takes and the run outs. If Shane took him in his team he should have seen something special in Jadev.

• rumbeer on March 2, 2013, 0:08 GMT

Give Jadeja a few matches. The team desperately needs all-rounders, with the Pathans not in the team. It gives the Captain more options. His continuance can be reviewed after his performance on overseas tours.

• Al_Bundy1 on March 1, 2013, 22:26 GMT

Jadeja is a bits and pieces player - he is not fit for tests. His economical bowling style is suitable for ODI and T20, not tests. In tests we need strike bowlers, not containment bowlers. There are many spin all rounders who are better than Jadeja - Parvez Rassol, Jalaj Saxena, etc. An all-rounder is a person who looks like scoring a 50 and taking a couple of wickets in every match he plays. Jadeja does not seem capable of either. Sure, he is a good fielder, but when was the last time a player got selected for tests based solely on his fielding prowess???

• Nish_US on March 1, 2013, 21:45 GMT

Did not get a chance to watch his batting in tests....Will try to watch it this weekend and will them comment.

• Sir.Ivor on March 1, 2013, 5:07 GMT

• sasi_trueindian on March 1, 2013, 2:30 GMT

• on March 1, 2013, 0:30 GMT

• Devin48 on March 1, 2013, 0:12 GMT

• Nutcutlet on February 28, 2013, 19:58 GMT

• rookie4u on March 2, 2013, 6:45 GMT

• on March 2, 2013, 3:15 GMT

• rumbeer on March 2, 2013, 0:08 GMT

• Al_Bundy1 on March 1, 2013, 22:26 GMT

• Nish_US on March 1, 2013, 21:45 GMT

• Nish_US on March 1, 2013, 21:44 GMT

NO Matter what any one may say..... Jadeja can never replace ojha or tiwari.. and can never fill in the place of Laxman at 6

• Nish_US on March 1, 2013, 21:42 GMT

Saw him in ODIs - his betting never showed any confidence.. his bowling is stump to stump ...good for containing...

EVENT as a spin allrounder for ODIs, he will definitely be considered behind YUVI, PATHAN..

When he bats he reminds me of some Joginder Sharma, I do not know why

• Temuzin on March 1, 2013, 20:10 GMT

Posted by Amit Bhatnagar on (March 1, 2013, 19:10 GMT) Jadeja brings out the cynic in me! Or is it Ugra's magic? I suppose both!! This article sounds like a "planted" article to generate goodwill towards Jadeja. Despite being on the wrong side of 30, and without having laid hands on a bat for a while, I will score a century as well. In my first game. Good night!

Jesus, India have been missing a batting genius in you Mr. Amit Bhatnagar. I can see you scoring 100 in first and then a double and followed by bunch of tripple centuries. Last time I had that confidence was when I was in high school and Gavaskar was out on zero. I had bragged that even I can score more than what Mr. gavaskar has scored. Bhatnagar sir, do us a favor pick that bat and showw BCCI what can you do with the bat. Go on..

• on March 1, 2013, 19:10 GMT

Jadeja brings out the cynic in me! Or is it Ugra's magic? I suppose both!! This article sounds like a "planted" article to generate goodwill towards Jadeja. Let me just say - pathetic attempt! Jadeja (and I hope he proves me wrong) is an over-rated and an under-skilled player who is in the team due to those dynamics at work of Indian cricket which are sadly very opaque. Here is a guy who at most times cannot clear the 30 yard circle with his hits and has hence played far more international cricket than what he deserves. Any other captain, and Jadeja will definitely not be seen anywhere near the dressing room. And before people call for my head on this forum by citing his 3 triple centuries in domestic cricket, let me just say, give me a bat and let me play Indian domestic cricket. Despite being on the wrong side of 30, and without having laid hands on a bat for a while, I will score a century as well. In my first game. Good night!

• gsingh7 on March 1, 2013, 17:43 GMT

jadeja is good only for sc conditions, likewise JA is good for seaming conditions. he was good in 1 test only rest of time he was battered by indians with disdain. in odis his figures are pathetic to say the least. jadega sir need to learn a thing or two from monty singh panesar

• Shan156 on March 1, 2013, 17:39 GMT

@SamRoy, Scoring triple hundreds regardless of opposition or the pitch is indeed a big deal. Jadeja may not be a good pick for India in SA or Eng or Aus. but in India, his batting, accurate bowling, and electric fielding are quite valuable. He is among the best fielders in the world.

• Temuzin on March 1, 2013, 17:26 GMT

The main problem with Jadeja is that he has been unfortunately stereotyped. Most of the fans look at him throught those stereotypes and fail to recognize his omnious talent. First he is easily the best fielder in the team, In two tests he played, he has proved he is excellent bowler. in those two tests his batting was not on par and Jadeja seriously needs to work on that and produce a century or high fifty to be accepted as a genuine allrounder. I am very positive he will score good as he has got tremendous appetite to stay on crease and is working hard to accomplish that. I wish if he is given a chance at 4-5 position. That will give jaddu a chance to get set and then start scoring.

• Shan156 on March 1, 2013, 17:23 GMT

@Harmony111, Just thought I will present Jimmy's sub-continent credentials. Anderson took a 5-wicket haul in his last tour to SL (2011-2012). His average in that series was 21. Just before that he toured the UAE and took his 9 wickets at 27. Against India, he took 12 wickets at 30. Overall, in India he has taken 22 wickets at an average of 29.81. Not great but no one would claim he is one. But, he is a very good bowler. What else should he do in the SC before he is considered a better bowler than David Johnson?:-) Also, if wickets taken by fast bowlers outside the SC are not a big deal, then Kumble's record in the SC should not be given a great deal of importance either. And, Harbhajan would be considered a poor bowler because he did very little of note outside the SC.

• Harmony111 on March 1, 2013, 16:58 GMT

@SamRoy: Lest you say that Anderson has proven himself in the last series, he played 4 tests and took only 11-12 wickets. Hardly a proof of his ability. Even in it, he really bowled well in just 1 test match - the Kolkata test. I hope you do not honestly believe that good performance in ONE test is proof enough. JA's overall record in Asia is 14 tests/42-43 wickets with just one 5 wicket haul. Again not much to talk about. And some ppl rate him as the 2nd best bowler in the world !!!

• Temuzin on March 1, 2013, 16:48 GMT

Posted by Raki99 on (March 1, 2013, 13:16 GMT) Jadeja is a Good option at homea and probebely in ASIA, But when the ball is not turning we a fast bolwer allorunder, Irfan could be be a very good allrounder if they give him the same time as waht jadeja is getting. Irfan is better batsman than jadeja.

But Jadeja has just played his 2nd tests so what time are you talking about?

• Temuzin on March 1, 2013, 16:41 GMT

One of the things that go un noticed is Jadeja's live wire fielding. In the team which has weak legs patrolling the field,Jadeja is a sight to be relished. His bowling has comes to age and sooner his batting will be a huge success. He is immensely talented and will become Indian team's rockstar. The team management must persist with him. Go jadeja go.

• Harmony111 on March 1, 2013, 16:39 GMT

@SamRoy: Taking heaps of wickets on fast and bouncy wickets of Aus and SA and Eng is no big deal. So I hope ppl should not be convinced about the bowling ability of ppl like Anderson and Starc and Philander. These ppl should tour places like India and SL and take 5/10 wicket hauls here. Only then can we be convinced about their bowling ability. Currently, I will say these players bowl about as well as David Johnson.

Sounds legit, no?

Only a handful of players have 3 FC 100s (ONLY 8). Jadeja scored 3 300s in around 13 months. If it was that easy to do then India must be getting 10-12 300s each season. But it doesn't happen that often, does it? Can you cite anything done by the bowlers I talked of or other bowlers or batsmen of other teams that is part of an elite club of only 8-10 players?

I am not saying RJ is necessarily a world-beater or will become one. He may or may not. But why belittle his present record?

• Testcricfan on March 1, 2013, 16:36 GMT

Best solution to this predicament is to play both Jadeja and Ojha and drop Harbhajan. Though Aussies have 4 left handers in their top 6, except Warner, who will continue attacking, none of the others look like Test class batsmen or have the technique to survive in these wickets. So there is no need for Dhoni & the Management to over theorize and go in with two offspinners. Pick Ashwin, Ohja as strike bowlers & use Jadeja and the seamers to hold the other end. With Bhuvaneshwar showing great promise, I think we can have the nucleus of a good team. If only Irfan pathan gets back to his top bowling form, we can have him replace Jadeja in the XI outside subcontinent and Umesh Yadav in place of Ishant. If it is a green top, drop Ojha and have a 3rd Seamer (Shami/ Ishant), We can ensure we always have a deep batting lineup as well as good bowling options.

• andrew27994 on March 1, 2013, 15:44 GMT

Many people fail to see the advantage of having Jadeja in the side. His bowling and fielding has impressed me a lot. But I do agree he has to start contributing with the bat. A few decent opportunties in Tests will certainly improve him as a batsman. He certainly looks a lot better than Rohit Sharma with the bat (I mean his consistency and confidence). Many people here are suggesting having Rahane, Dhawan and Tiwary in the team but none of them can bowl half as decently as him. Also many here fail to realise that he is undoubtedly the best fielder in the side.

• indiacricketfan1 on March 1, 2013, 15:19 GMT

Ashwin is a better All-rounder than JADEJA......... Can JADEJA cope with Pace & Bounce as a BATSMAN on SA pitches????..... His Part-time Spin Bowling will be HAMMERED on those Tracks...... JADEJA scored Triple centuries on that FEATHER-BED (Flat Pitch) in Rajkot against DOMESTIC Medium-pacers & Spinners........ on those pitches there is no help for Spinners or Medium-pacers......... JADEJA & Ind team will not get such pitches in SA......... India will need 7-Specialist Batsmen in those conditions........ Indian Fast-Bowlers are struggling with Form & Fitness........ they'll need Cushioning of Extra runs out there

• on March 1, 2013, 14:31 GMT

There is no doubt that jadeja is good for shorter format of the game *on indian wickets*. He still has miles to prove on away tours to be a consistent member. I am afraid dhoni and his short-memoried followers look only for short term solution and not work to have a proper team which could play away as well. The guys apart from jadeja, raina, or rohit need to be given a chance or two .. i am sorry dhoni uses two stick policy : leniant for above mentioned players and strict one for rest. Its a joke that senior journo like Sharda ugra has been wasting time as rest of the country has been on this over-hyped kid & dhoni's protege.

• Nampally on March 1, 2013, 14:19 GMT

@Sir.Ivor: Much as I appreciate the talent of Jadeja, he is no Mankad or Nadkarni when it comes to bowling. Mankad was a master of very crafty spinner who used his brain. If you place a penny on the pitch, he could hit it 9 times out of ten. He did that by varying his flight, speed & spin. His Lords effort of 5 for 192 in about 96 overs in one innings followed by 74 & 184 runs on 2 innings as an opening batsman was Phenomenal. So comparison with Mankad is not valid. Nadkarni had rubber arm & totally curbed scoring.It was amazing that such a slim bowler could go on for hours with his masterly accuracy. If Jadeja tries hard he may turn out to be like Nadkarni. But Ojha is more like Durrani on a spinners wicket. He is way ahead of Jadeja as a bowler with his flight, spin & variation.My question is how can Ojha be dropped to accomodate Jadeja? Jadeja is a fine all rounder but not a specialist Wkt. taking bowler like Ojha.Encourage Jadeja but not at the expense of the ace spinner, Ojha.

• SamRoy on March 1, 2013, 14:15 GMT

Scoring the triple hundreds at Rajkot (flattest track in the country) against weak opposition is no big deal. He should captain 'A' teams to Australia, England, SA tours and score first class centuries there. Only then can we be convinced of his batting ability. Currently, I will say he can bat as well as Bhuvaneshwar!

• on March 1, 2013, 14:13 GMT

Jadeja has all the quality to be successful player in all format of game. He is hard working, good athlete and powerful hitter. The only negative part I could see is his running between the wicket. He bats along with MS Dhoni who is excellent runner between the wicket and Ashwin who is too slow. I feel Jadeja should improve his running/calling between the wickets, else one or two run out may end his career... I will pray and hope he continue playing his part and win many games for India.

• itsthewayuplay on March 1, 2013, 13:41 GMT

Ther's a lot to like about Jadeja - he can be deceptively threatening as a bowler in the right conditions and has played some important knocks in the shorter format and is a gun in field. But if you take either his bowling or batting, would you say he's good to make the team? Probably not. As an all-rounder? Not yet. But he works hard which is more than can be said for some in team or recently dropped and this is one of the qualities missing from the Indian team. We need someone who is going to work their socks off but the dilemma is whether it should it come at the expense of other players? The major problem is that Sehwag and Tendulkar are taking up 2 precious spots and for what benefit to Indian cricket? Let these 2 go back to zonal cricket and earn their place again but there are quite a few other batsmen who have earned the opportunity. As for Jadeja, he hasn't had to wait in line like others like say Rahane but then he hasn't consistently underperformed like Sehwag.

• RISHI2016 on March 1, 2013, 13:40 GMT

@Rob Tay i agree to the fact that he indeed has got three triple hundreds ..what was the outcome of the match ? all the three were draws ...the two of the triple ton was not chanceless (which shows the sorry state of indian bowlers and pitches not to forget two of his triple ton is at home town) why do one need allrounder? one who changes the game.. do u consider him taking five wickets and 50 runs in the same match.. well if basis of selection is only the triple century then play him as a pure batsmen...otherwise @best he is a mediocre batsmen decent bowler and good fielder who can do good in odis and ipl..

• on March 1, 2013, 13:38 GMT

All the featured comments are those that endorse/support jadeja as a "high potential future test player" !!! Unbelievable !!! Jadeja right now is nothing but a "bits and pieces" player. His bowling is hugely unproven, moreover, outside the subcontinent, a spinning all rounder in the team is a complete waste of space. While we play in India, two spinners are certainly enough, and if a need arises for the third spinner, we definitely have better spinners waiting on the wings than play Jadeja. His batting too is a liability right now. His defence is shaky and vulnerable. He has a very limited range of strokes, and cant take control of the game at any point during his innings. He will never be a part of the "settled combination", dhoni is just dreaming.

• Raki99 on March 1, 2013, 13:16 GMT

Jadeja is a Good option at homea and probebely in ASIA, But when the ball is not turning we a fast bolwer allorunder, Any body rememebre the Perth test in australia when india won, It was the Opening pair of sehwag and irfan, Irfan could be be a very good allrounder if they give him the same time as waht jadeja is getting. Irfan is better batsman than jadeja.

• on March 1, 2013, 12:28 GMT

Ravindra Jadeja is a good limited overs cricketer, but to fit in as an all rounder one has find a place on batting alone or bowling alone. Look at all the great allrounders like Kapil Dev, Imran Khan even Ravi Shastri could do so. Even contemporary ones like Kallis and Cairns. I dont think Jadeja is test material yet. You might argue with his triple hundreds but then look at Mark Ramprakash and Graeme Hick they scored a plethora of runs in First Class Cricket. Did they succeed at the highest level? Having said that I am sure he will be preferred to Ojha or a specialist batsman like Rahane for the remaining of the series.

• phunny_game on March 1, 2013, 12:06 GMT

Why are so many people commenting on the word RockStar... its a name given to him by warne thats why they'v mentioned it... its not an attribute... a spin wizard doesnt mean the guy knows wizardry or sorcery... boom boom afridi doesnt mean he is a cracker!!! :D

• pratit on March 1, 2013, 11:50 GMT

It is good of him to want to excel in test cricket. But to be realistic, he can only be a prospect in overtly spin-friendly conditions like in India. That too, more as a bowler. I have never found his batting assuring. If anybody notices carefully, most of the times he seems to be either inside-edging or outside-edging the ball rather than playing it off the middle. Little wonder then that often he is stuck without scoring, which puts more pressure on him. I don't know whether he has got a technical problem or not, but he has to get it sorted to be a long-term prospect.

• on March 1, 2013, 11:23 GMT

IPL Rock Star???? His bowling got thrashed all over the park in most of the IPL matches.. when it comes to ODI and Test Matches, his performance is not upto international mark.. How many matches had he won for his respective teams?? Waste guy. all we need is fast bowling allrounders..may be like Irfan Pathan but not this bits and pieces

• thegreatkeeper on March 1, 2013, 11:20 GMT

@Nampally Ojha was left out to accommodate Harbhajan,not Jadeja. @gestapo Jadeja doesn't bat @ 6,Dhoni does.This just proves that you were not following the last two test matches that india played. If some people say that Jadeja is a part-time bowler,then Harbhajan is a pure batsman considering the way he bowled in Chennai.Jaddu is young.He can learn a lot by playing tests.He is the most accurate bowler in the current indian bowling lineup.His orthodox spin will be a huge asset in SA where he can hold one end up,allowing the pace bowlers to take wickets from the other end.His batting is vulnerable right now,but he can only improve from here.Only 20 wickets can win you test matches.So picking Rahane/Tiwary instead of Jadeja is a defensive option.Hope he becomes a regular member of this test side.

• RobTay14 on March 1, 2013, 11:18 GMT

@RISHI2016: "Decent performances"?? "Mediocre cricketer"?? He got three TRIPLE CENTURIES! What is wrong with you? Let's see you do that.

• cric_gates on March 1, 2013, 11:14 GMT

One factor for the success of The India in the recent 10 years was VVS lakshman.He bats at no 6 and whenever his team was in trouble he becomes the saviour in India as well as abroad.He was true classy test player. Now there is the big problem as they are looking for Jadeja as No 6. The fact is that this guy can only perform on flat pitches that to not consistently.giving chance to a unsuccessful t 20 player is far injustice to players like Manoj Tiwary, Rahane or Kaif.India is certainly not taking test cricket seriously.I 100% doubt that jadeja will be successful with the bat in Test in India too.I am not talking about India's foreign tour bcz its guaranteed that on fast pitches he will sure to fail.

• vikart on March 1, 2013, 10:34 GMT

Jadeja is one of the closest to Vettori of early 2000s, but more of a batting all-rounder. He is not the one who spins a lot but has some good control over it and can be used to hold one end especially in Indian pitches. It's too early to judge but had had done decent enough in last two tests and should be given decent run of at least 5-6 test more. Sometime you need hardworking but lesser talented & effective guys than the so-called match winners. still I don't think he will be effective enough in overseas conditions, but then one has to choose the team based on the playing condition.Also the number 6 is not a good number for a genuine batsman to start their career. We had seen it with Pujara Kohli etc. So always good to have an experience batsman at no:6. So if you need to have Rahane he should play somewhere in top-3 ( best as an opener ). Had Ganguly been asked to start his career as No:6 at start of his career he had lesser chance to succeed.

• Fast_Track_Bully on March 1, 2013, 10:08 GMT

Why do not India test him as a middle order batsmen. I donot think his 3 triples as fluke. If it was just one triple hundred we could say that. If he is good as a batsmen and able to score at least 100 within a few chances - say 10 inngs - it will be good for India. But he wasn't consistent in ODIs or T20s, thats his main problem.

• jazztee on March 1, 2013, 9:56 GMT

If jadeja is considerd as a test player than its a joke.Dhoni tried his best to established jadeja as a regular one day player for india and he failed and he is trying the same thing but this time he chose him as a test cricketer.i dont remember a player getting more chances than jadeja in the last 10 years.just imagine jadeja batting in a test match at durban facing dale stein .......In durban not in rajkote

• AB_DeVilliers on March 1, 2013, 9:52 GMT

Wow, when bits and pieces cricketers start making it into the test line-up, then you know the team is struggling. This Indian team ia laughable, can win at home as much as you want with Jedeja or not, but still can't win away from home. Pathetic.

• pull_shot on March 1, 2013, 9:24 GMT

he played only 2 tests and did nothing significant still we have a article on him Why on indian players (mostly) like unnecessary over hyping articles r written????????

• on March 1, 2013, 9:22 GMT

I think we need to treat Jadeja carefully . Ensure that he gets atleast 10 test matches before we really pass on a judgement .It takes a while for spinners to start performing consistently at the international level and I think h is batting will definitely get better .

• VinodGupte on March 1, 2013, 8:54 GMT

you must be joking. jadeja has no talent to speak of and it must be declared a national shame that he plays test matches for IND. did you even watch him squirm and squat against genuine pace bowling 5 days ago? he plays only because he is from CSK. period.

• Rahulthevirufan on March 1, 2013, 8:52 GMT

I think Jadeja is still too much work in progress, he has some how not been anle to convert his domestic super shows and talent into resonable performances at international level and dat too despite getting loads of backing of skipper and many opportunities. Though recently he has started showing improvements but I will still suggest that IRFAN PATHAN is much better option for simple reasons: 1st he has got better ability to score wid bat 2 he is a fast bowling allrounder, who has started to get his swing and nip back of late and aslo having pathan at no.7 means, India can actually play its BEST 3 SPINNERS Ojha, Ashwin & Bhajji/ Mishra wid 1 fast bowler and during overseas tour 2 fast bowlers wid 2 spinners, making our bowling attack more potent and capable of picking wikets. As for the argument dat he will weaken batting I will simply say, currently he is far better bet dan jadeja and if u r really lukin to add muscle to batin den u shuld play Tiwary, Rahane or Rohit.

• on March 1, 2013, 8:39 GMT

One of Dhoni's smart lieutenants!! Hope he stays consistent!!

• din7 on March 1, 2013, 8:31 GMT

well lets face the truth here! jadeja is nowhere near a test player....he cant bat in india leave alone overseas...and will surely get wickets when they make rank turners and other take wickets..more to more he will play around 30 to 40 tests or less in his entire carrer

• on March 1, 2013, 8:30 GMT

for indian condition ..............jaddu is the best all round option but what about the foreign condition?

• on March 1, 2013, 8:29 GMT

Give the boy time. Be patient with him. He has inherent talents. He is ambitious. He is willing to work hard. He has to succeed. It is just a matter of time. (The only caution Ican give him is that, he should not succumb to any bad habits -- not as a cricketer, but as a young man suddenly having a lot of money--. That's all). And,in a few years, he will be one of the finest allrounders, in the Salim Durrani mould!

Sir Ravindra, go ahead!

• on March 1, 2013, 8:23 GMT

I think this guy should try to emulate the likes of jayasuriya or lance klusener if you get my drift. coz like sanath he's a left armer whose primary weapon is the armer delivery. & just look how many scalps the bald magician collected in his career. likewise, in his batting, he should be his natural aggressive self. not the circumspect one that he's trying to show dhoni coz that is not who he really is. Even if he lasts fifty balls, he should try to make the most of it by scoring as rapidly as he can. Because there will come a delivery which will have his number on it & it will be bye bye jadeja. That is the success formula of all the 'Maverick no.7s' that we remember.

• on March 1, 2013, 8:18 GMT

@vvs_aclassact- name one player in the current Indian team who has it in him to lead India!! Every coach and expert in the cricketing fraternity has admitted that coaching/captaining team India is the toughest job. U have any idea what kind of pressure ms goes thru? despite this he almost single handedly wins you odis and t20s...he has 5 test 100s to his name...and is a decent keeper..apart from an abysmal 2011 i think he has done a fantastic job with the bat and as a captain...so stop complaining and consider yourself lucky to have some1 like dhoni to lead this team..

• on March 1, 2013, 8:09 GMT

You guys really think he is a rock star?

• tearawayquick on March 1, 2013, 8:07 GMT

"I would like to see him play 10 consecutive maiden overs in Test" - Doesn't his coach Mitra has nothing else in life to do??? I hope I dont get to see a single ball of this test match if this were to happen!!Jadeja in terms of batting style is the "Chanderpaul of Indian cricket"

• deep6321 on March 1, 2013, 8:07 GMT

I doubt RJ's capabilities overseas.I think he is getting a few wickets in India ,But outside India he will be proved an ordinary cricketer .He is a cricketer who most of the time gets nervous in critical situations.If team is under pressure ,I doubt if he can deliver. Also India need to give chances to Ajinkya Rahane instead of Murali Vijay and all other potential openers.rahane is much much better batsman.I think India should go with him in the 2nd test .

• vatsap on March 1, 2013, 8:06 GMT

It has to be the most ridiculous selections in recent times. England had one Pattinson turn out of no where a few years ago. Jadeja couldn't even get the ball of the square against medium pace/fast bowlers in last IPL (forget any international match). Regarding his bowling, Yuvraj is better. Yeah he does bring up the fielding, but at what cost. The likes of Badrinath, Rahane, Rayudu ... even Uttappa get stuffed without chances and India's own Gary Sobers has a good run in tests. How comical can things get.

• vampire1973 on March 1, 2013, 7:55 GMT

i am so sick of hearing these comments on how good the indian team is oh and this player is good and oh when we were No 1 , lets face it the indian cricket team is on the slide big time once tendukar, dhoni is gone , thats india gone , a further more they can only play in india on overly prepared wickets in there favour ,there record speaks for its self , this tour is a joke of overly prepared spin wickets, and we pretty much know this will be the last time the so called "little master " will be playing as this will be his last series

• on March 1, 2013, 7:36 GMT

Although Jadeja gives impression of a long term useful no.7 to MS Dhoni, I believe he'll be found wanting on SOuth African, Aus and NZ pitches as far as his batting technique is concerned. The way he left a straight incoming ball of Pattinson, was a sign of that technique. Morkel, Steyn, Philander, and Albott will be the real test for this Indian batting unit. Till then , Jadeja can bask in glory !

• on March 1, 2013, 7:35 GMT

he is not comfortable in batting in tests he is very good other formats

• Sooryan_Indian on March 1, 2013, 7:29 GMT

I always have a liking for jadeja the bowler and fielder in any format and jadeja the batsman in limited overs cricket. So it should only be fair if we manage to give him the remaining 3 tests with a place in the 11s. espeacially after his 2 triple centuries in the recent ranji season. A fair chance to jadeja and hope for him to do his best.

• satishchandar on March 1, 2013, 7:16 GMT

Regarding playing a allrounder like Jadeja or Pathan in the test team, it should be ok if Dhoni can display a bit of consistency at no.6 and it will allow the all rounder to play at 7 with Ashwin at 8 who is a very capable batter. It will give more balance in home matches. But away? We don't have a legendary batting line up to face in tests abroad. Can 5 batsmen+ Dhoni give the balance? I feel Abroad deserves a extra batsman like Tiwary at 6.. RJ and DHoni @ 6/7 doesn't sound that good to start with in England/SA/Aus conditions. Pakistan tried out likes of Afridi, Razzaq etc at 6 and finall resorted to Asad Shafiq a batsman at 6.. Batting wont be of big problem in home and it can allow RJ at 7 but abroad, we need more firepower in bowling - especially fast bowler and need to have extra batsman in the 11. Doesn't it sound peculiar to have two different combination in home and away?

• on March 1, 2013, 7:08 GMT

Actually..I believe that he doesnt have calibre to play big matches..i know he has a lot of talent..but he has to work really very very hard..first thing he has to learn how to spin the bowl more that even on a flat pitch he can bowl an take wickets..if he is able to do that...indian can play their with 3 pacers and 1 spinner with him....and he has to retire from t20s and odis bcoz he cannot clear boundaries all the time and sometimes prove too costly while bowling...ashwin and pathan are better allrounders than him for odis i would like to go with different teams for every format...and the test squad will consisit....,sehwag,smit patel,pujara,rahane,cm gautam,ravindra jadeja,manoj tiwary,parvez rasool,nadeem/pankaj,bhuvaneshwar,sandeep sharma...smit,rahane,gautam,manoj,rasool,nadeem,sharma,pankajsandeep have performed exceptionally well in ranji so they must be given a chance....but jadeja shouldnt be in limited overs fixtures..

• satishchandar on March 1, 2013, 7:07 GMT

RJ is one of cricketers who thrives on commitment and hardwork than natural talent. He is a good utility player but usually, tests need more talented folks with commitment than these brand.. Dhoni and co give more importance to the attitude and hard work than talent which Ganguly preferred. The likes of Raina and Jadeja offer lots of commitment to the team than someone like Rohit. But i wont say Dhoni and co is good in that perspective. Test match needs the talent and skill a little bit more than commitment. In shorter formats, the likes of Dhoni, Raina can be more successful as these guys can forget the current ball and concentrate on the next ball easily. But in tests, it is different. You need the confidence with which you played the previous delivery to face the next ball confidently. Every ball is a challenge and the toughness will come more with talent than temperament. Many successful ODI specialists couldnt do it in tests due to the factor.

• on March 1, 2013, 7:03 GMT

We need to develop 2 batting allrounders - one who is a spin bowler and useful in Indian conditions and one who is a fast medium bowler and useful in overseas conditions. Of course, Ashwin can be deemed a spinner allrounder, but we need to give him more time.

• VVS_a_class_act on March 1, 2013, 7:01 GMT

So that India is going to play with only 5 batsmen in the remainder of the series. Playing Jadeja and Dhoni means we had a very big Tail in the International cricket. They may perform in subcontinent but cant event last for 5 overs in overseas. Checkout Dhoni' performance outside subcontinent(for that matter in Subcontinent as well). He is a very poor captain and player in Test Cricket. He played a test innings once in a blue moon. Clearly lack of long term visibilty. Am sure Indian Test cricket will see lowest point soon. How on Earth VVS can be replaced by a player like Jadeja and hoping that got a settelled combination??????? Utter Rubbish.

• rosh280 on March 1, 2013, 6:53 GMT

Its great to watch player like ravindra jadeja gets enough attraction. he deserved it he is a matured player with lot of hopes.when shane warne says jadeja is a rockstar he really meant it. jadeja is definitely a player of talent and dedication. he gives his 100% when in fielding, bowling or batting. saurashtra really produced players with great conviction. cheteswar pujara is another player of great promise. I remember players like r r parida and many other players of that sort, could nt get opportunity to play much. Another is ajay jadeja. I really feel he needs to bat up the order. for the time being in tests murali vijay should bat with virendar sehwag. then cheteswar pujara, ravindra jadeja, rohit sharma, tendulkar should come in that order. virendar sehwag, murali vijay, cheteswar pujara, rohit sharma all had many double centuries to their credit they can post high scores in test cricket then if tendulkar comes to his actual form india can find good test cricket score.

• on March 1, 2013, 6:51 GMT

India has tendency of calling players all rounders if they can bat and bowl. Robin Singh, Sanjay Bangar, Joginder Sharma... all called All rounders. I doubt Indians know the meaning of all rounder. For an All rounder is somebody who can win match either by batting or bowling. I afraid after Kapil Dev we never got anybody. Jadeja is there because some obvious reasons. CSK, Young, Did good in IPL. Out of numerous chances he had won 1-2 ODI for us. I remember Wasim Akram always favored 5 specialist bowlers but India never. No captain. It is irony that strongest batting line-up needs 6 batsmen + batting keeper. Probably major reason of losing Test matches everywhere. You don't need to score 400 runs everytime. You can focus on bowling out opposition under 300. Dhoni said he got balance for team with Jadeja. How long? What will happen in South Africa. In India if your 6 batsmen cannot do anything we should not expect from 7th. Jadeja is very temp solution to this problem

• agarkarno1 on March 1, 2013, 6:42 GMT

Oh yes.. he is a match winner...! Happy that Dhoni has identified that special talent in him and grooming him.. Successful captains groom promising players as Sourav did with Sehwag, Zaheer, Bhaji, Yuvi.. Dhoni does with Ashwin, Jadeja. But what i dont like in Dhoni is Sourav gave equal opportunities to others as well.He didnt hesitate to drop Yuvi or Sehwag after failures and they came back again proving themselves. Dhoni is persisting with the players like Rohit failing again and again. Let them go back and prove again. And equal opportunities to be given to Rahane, Tiwary, Shikar, and all. Dont go by nets, let them swim in the deep

• on March 1, 2013, 6:33 GMT

Jadeja is a good domestic cricketer and a decent international cricketer, but yet to get into a settled role. He is right about expressing his desire to continue in whites. He should be more comfortable batting higher in the order in tests, than fulfilling an all rounders'slot. Tests should be his comfort zone whereas we pick him in T20 for his bowling,fielding and we complain about his shortcomings. We whine about Rahane, but the way he plays, looks like he is comfortable going over the circle, than playing some composed shots.

• Samar_Singh on March 1, 2013, 6:28 GMT

Sir Ravindra Jadeja is just an average all rounder and extra rated player.. He could be handy for the shorter formats in Indian conditions but for a test level he is yet to excel a lot .. International cricket is different from Indian domestic cricket specially the average bowling,that is the reason why many Indian player have average of 50-60 in domestic cricket but they heavily suffer in the highest level.

• on March 1, 2013, 6:18 GMT

i respect the author for not censoring our comments even though they haven't been +ve about jadeja hence disagreeing with the article in a way..good job

• on March 1, 2013, 6:13 GMT

Irfan Pathan is in the same boat as Jadeja: neither a top six batsman nor a top four bowler. In ODIs and 20-20s, you "have to have" 5 bowlers because other bowlers can only bowl 10 or 4 overs maximum. Not so in tests. It is HANDY to have a good fifth bowler, but not a MUST. Both Irfan and Jadeja are great fifth bowler options for the team. The question is, can they bat at 6 and solidify their place? Time will tell. India does need a fifth bowler so both should be given chances to prove their batting at test level at around the 6 or 7 spot. @SamRoy, how much will Dhoni or Sehwag score in SA? It's not just RJ who fails in overseas conditions.

• sachin_vvsfan on March 1, 2013, 6:05 GMT

Rockstar? I dont think pubilc ever looked at him as RockStar. Only shane warne said that. At best he can be an average batsman and decent bowler in sub continent. Nothing more. Not even close to be considered a RockStar.

• joseyesu on March 1, 2013, 6:04 GMT

Watching him play against Starc in Chennai is miserable. Team needs to have a complete patience to him for atleast 10 test matches.

• SherjilIslam on March 1, 2013, 5:57 GMT

Radeja can be good option for tests to be played in India, not in SA, ENG and AUS. So to me, in for the tests played in India, he should be there in the side, but a strong "no" in seam and swinging conditions. Irfan Pathan is the ideal choice for those conditions.

• on March 1, 2013, 5:57 GMT

Hail Sir Ravindra Jadeja!!!!

• naren1983 on March 1, 2013, 5:41 GMT

Guys, He has 3 triple centuries in tests, so he has the ability to stay for long time and score runs, thats what Test Cricket is all about for everyone initially. He should play all the remaining 3 tests and if he scores a couple of 50s, then see what people say about him. His batting earns to play test just 50%, but his bowling option which considered him to play another 50%. I believe India should create 7th player as all-rounder place like Jadeja, Rassol, Irfan. Because this will create balance to the team as India's specialist bowlers can't be expected to do the job everytime. That too current situation, our main fast bowlers are injured. So its time to create a balanced team and continue forever. All the best to Jadeja and India.

• phunny_game on March 1, 2013, 5:17 GMT

@ deepak shah: "A year back, I was not at all impressed with Jadeja; neither his batting nor bowling. What surprised me most was that his leg spin bowling has improved significantly"...

Jadeja??? Leg spin??? Which jadeja are u talking about... The one mentioned in this article bowls slow left arm... he is not a leg spinner. Infact there is no leg spinner in the Indian team at all right now!!!

• Ramanatpng on March 1, 2013, 5:17 GMT

Jadeja - looks a promising prospect. Has improved significantly in all batting and bowling and always been a very sharp and energitic fielder - when Steve Waugh started his carrer - he was far from being a dazzling cricketer - he took a good 15-20 matches at test level before he started to yeild dividends. Too early to either heap praises or write him off but yes shows good promise so far.

• phunny_game on March 1, 2013, 5:00 GMT

On his last two test bowling performances alone, he deserves a chance more than harbhajan... And he is a line and length bowler. He cant spin the ball much, but i guess against teams like NZ, Aus, SA, Eng, he can contribute with his bowling in these conditions... But his batting is nowhere near test standard... But we have seen just two innings from him... I think he is going to get a chance in atleast the next test anyway, so regardless of what we say, he will be playing. Lets hope he can contribute with the bat as well.. It will be good for Indian cricket... I wish Irfan pathan gets fit soon!!!

• on March 1, 2013, 4:58 GMT

Ravi Jadeja, I have been following your performance from the Under 19 WC when you played under Virat. Iqbal Abdullah and you were the spin department of that team, but your economy rate was better than him, and look where you are and where Iqbal is today. Same goes for Virat and Taruwar Kohli, who also played in that team. Ravi Shastri started from the same place, you have started and he went on to open for India, give it your best shot man, you give good balance to the team

• karthik_raja on March 1, 2013, 4:43 GMT

Why don't ppl understand that Jadeja(and few others) is in national contention NOT coz of wearing yellow jersey for CSK. Actually its the other way around. Dhoni loves to hv Jadeja in his team. Be it CSK or India. Else, how can one justify the huge sum payed even though he as done almost nothing in IPLs baring the first season. CSK is not @ fault. Its Dhoni's favoritism. If Dhoni happens to move to RCB or KK or DD, then these players will also be playing for the same team. So, will it be RCB's fault then?? I am 99% sure that, Indian team selection and CSK team selection is highly influenced by Dhoni. Not by Srikanth or Srini or Sandip. Its Dhoni's wish, which they are listening to. Not the other way round. Srini will listen to wt Dhoni says. I pretty much doubt, Dhoni will listen to wt Srini says. PS-I am not arguing in favor/against Dhoni. As a captain, Dhoni wants his own team. It can be right or wrong which is subject to discussion.

• on March 1, 2013, 4:33 GMT

and those voting for yusuf pathan..come on he has been given ample opportunities...its sad that irfan is injured..i cant help wondering everytime cricinfo publishes the injured bowlers list y do they incliude varun aaron in that? i understand umesh yadav who has done reasonably well..but aaron was below par in the matches that he played..

• on March 1, 2013, 4:30 GMT

The triple centuries that he scored were on flat decks. He failed miserably in punjab where there was a bit of seam movement. I have no doubts that he is a good odi player. He has proved time and again that he deserves a place in the final 11, ofcourse in the odis.. tests not so much. Irfan pathan is a better option if you are lookin at a bowler who can bat. Rahane was miserable in the odis against pak and england. I think that is the reason why dhoni is skeptical about including him. I guess once sehwag is out the doors will open for the likes of rahane, dhawan, rayudu..

• SamRoy on March 1, 2013, 4:06 GMT

In South Africa Jadeja will fail miserably, will score less than 100 runs in 6 innings and might get a couple of tail-end wickets. We already have allrounders in Ashwin and Dhoni. Why do we need another one, especially this cricketer, who is jack of all trades master of none?

• Al_Bundy1 on March 1, 2013, 4:01 GMT

There are better all rounders in India - Parvez Rasool, Jalaj Saxena - to name a few. Jadeja is not very talented, but he is obviously well connected!!

• on March 1, 2013, 4:01 GMT

i think he is fine with th opportunity he he has got, Check this http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/234675.html?class=2;home_or_away=2;home_or_away=3;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

• ccrriicc on March 1, 2013, 3:50 GMT

What is this nonsense about Jadeja - that he is overrated. As per the preformance he has been doing very well. If you can take Dhoni overseas, you should take Jadeja also. He is a terrific fileder; he is an above average bowler and I think he will only improve. As far as batting is concerned - if he fails he will be out of the team. But why put him down now at this time when he is contributing to India's success. If Jadeja scores a hundered aganist Pattison and Siddle , he will go to SA!!!

• guptahitesh4u on March 1, 2013, 3:44 GMT

Jadeja is not worth to be included in the test squad...If we are looking for an all-rounder, I believe we should give another chance to Irfan Pathan..he can definitely bat better than Jadeja and hopefull gain some confidence in bowling as well. Jadeja has been given this chance only because he is part of CSK now. and there are many in the BCCI and Team india who wants to ensure that more and more CSK players are included in the national team(Vijay is another example)

• Udendra on March 1, 2013, 3:42 GMT

good, only in India and may be IPL.

• Tal_Botvinnik on March 1, 2013, 3:41 GMT

This guy shows how poor Indian pitches are because given how mediocre he is and simply scoring 3 300s easily on these suggests india are nothing on sporty wickets. Abinav Mukund struggled on West Indies and england but is very flamboyant and consistent on Indian pitches.Another can be said about rahanae, tiwary, rohit...etc. If india wants success they should build more sporty wickets.

If rohit is the most talented batsman is india it jus devalues others talents and i can safety say that even players likem dinesh chandimal, darren bravo,joe root, are far more better than them.

• shashanksriv on March 1, 2013, 3:27 GMT

I can't understand this "Jadeja Bashing" concept. Its better to have a less talented player and hard working one than having a talented guy and a non performer (Rohit sharma,Rahane). Jadeja has been a workhorse for Dhoni in last two tests. He bowled the most number of overs in the barren Nagpur pitch at a low economy. In Chennai too, he took 25% of the Australian wickets and bowled a challenging and consistent line even better than Harbhajan. On the batting front too, he tried to stay on the crease with Dhoni, had a partnership of 41 runs and scored more runs than Murali Vijay and Sehwag. He was the fifth best performer in the Indian team after Dhoni, Ashwin, Kohli and Sachin. I don't find any reason why he should be criticized. Moreover, he has been modest to accept the fact that he needs to improve. This shows that he has the urge to succeed. Good going Jadeja

• Ashish_514 on March 1, 2013, 3:23 GMT

People kept calling Dhoni lucky and miraculous and said he won't last long but he did. I hope the same would happen with Jadeja. One suggestion though: don't play him as an allrounder overseas, a fit Irfan Pathan for pace-swing friendly pitches and Ravindra Jadeja for subcontinent pitches will be good. And both performing well will give perfect balance to the team in both kinds of conditions.

• Vnott on March 1, 2013, 3:15 GMT

Cant see him bat and win a test match and cant see him running thru a side. He is at best a bits and pieces all rounder. Yes he can field brilliantly. It is clear that the roll of the dice is in his favor. Dhoni likes him . He has got a few wickets against Aus and he should play all the tests in this series as a okk no:7. Ashwin bats better and bowls better. Parvez Razool could be the ideal no: 7 for the sub continent. He looks good at batting, bowls very well and fields very well. Pathan is not retired yet. Irfan could be a good no:7 outside the subcontinent. Based on current " talent" Jadeja seems good enuf only for the subcontinent pitches at best.

• MeeraKrishna on March 1, 2013, 3:04 GMT

I dont see him coming good outside the subcontinent..keeping in mind the upcoming away series in SA and NZ, I would like to see the like of medium pace bowling allrounders like A.Nayar in the set up...I know he is entering 30s but he is in his prime..else seeing BK bat in chennai test groom his defence and he can be the elusive allrounder for SA & NZ series...

• gestapo on March 1, 2013, 3:02 GMT

he is only a bits and pieces player,,shame that a player like him is let into the test team and worst of all bat at no.6, the position once famously held by the stylish VVS. Jadeja is IPL range and can come up with a decent performance with the bat in ODI on his day, but only in the subcontinent. I vividly remember how he struggled to put bat to ball in Aus. Just imagine how he would deal with the red hot pace attack in SA on a fast Durban pitch . Hopeless.

• madcricketfan on March 1, 2013, 3:00 GMT

Jadeja has a lot to prove. Just because he scored triples in Indian domestic wickets, can't imagine him to be sustaining at test cricket.

• Top-Spinner on March 1, 2013, 2:20 GMT

Can someone tell how many lives were given during his two triple centuries? If catches were indeed dropped, you know what that means? At the international level, especially against the Aussies and the South Africans, those catches are usually taken. Since the domestic tournaments are not known to have electric fielders, I would take those triples with a grain of salt. On the other hand, if they were chanceless I salute him. For that matter it applies to others not just Jadeja.

• TrueFactors on March 1, 2013, 1:59 GMT

I wish Jadeja play a reasonable big century innings during this tests to stop critics and prove himself the way Dhoni has done in last innings. A player with three triple centuries sure has potential to play high level of cricket. All he need is to get his potentials out.

• Prakmca on March 1, 2013, 1:57 GMT

:-) Batting longer is not enough you have to score runs also. It's not ranjji team to score triple hundreds :-)

Please please don't call him a allrounder. if he is allrounder, then what you call people like Kapil, Kallis, Hafeez....etc....

how can this guy match with those real allrounders???

• EverybodylovesSachin on March 1, 2013, 1:28 GMT

He is a crack filler...till no cracks left in Indian Test team..

• Nampally on March 1, 2013, 0:28 GMT

Jadeja is a good player, especially a brilliant fielder. He is a steady bowler who can be economical. But When there are 2 all rounders like Pathan & Yuvraj, it is strange to be pushing for Jadeja. Jadeja is Dhoni's #1 Favourite. So he does not mind pushing Ojha out to make room for Jadeja, which is grossly unfair. In the first teat vs. Aussies, MSD got both harbhajan & jadeja in XI, while he benched Ojha, who had taken 20 Wkts. against much stronger England battingin 4 Tests. When you drop the highest Wkt. taker for India to make room for your Favourites," it Isn't Cricket". India was lucky to get away with it for once. But it is causing lot of upset to young players. Will Dhoni drop Ojha again on his home turf where he & Ashwin combined to take 18 of the 20 Wkts. in their last Test match? Knowing MSD, It won't surprise me. I like Jadeja but not when you seprive Ojha of his rightful place as the lead bowler.

• Raj_Kalyanaraman on March 1, 2013, 0:23 GMT

Frankly despite his enthusiasm he is going to be a mediocre bet in tests. His batting does not inspire any confidence. Somehow India is always obsessed with spinning all rounder even though that concept has never worked in practice. Especially in overseas tests it is useless. In history only medium/fast bowling all rounders have brought victories - keith Miller , botham, kapil, imran, hadlee, kallis, Proctor, Rice etc. only Sobers was an exception but he was a genius who was also left arm fast bowler early on his career. Tony Greig was another one but he was also medium pace all rounder as well. And Jadeja is no Tony Greig forget Sobers. The best bet we have is Irfan Pathan who is unfortunately injured. He is the closest to a medium pace all rounder we have. He is much better bat than Jadeja and we dont need a third spinner in the team. In the last 20 years the third spinner has virtually never taken any wickets. Only in the Bedi, Pras, Chandra era it worked as they were all geniuses

• SevereCritic on March 1, 2013, 0:19 GMT

Training Jadeja to improve his batting is very important for India. He needs to be trained to be able to handle lower middle order batting on any surface, specially with the upcoming SA series. If he improves as a batsman, his LA Orthodox bowling will be massively useful to India both or home matches (as a third spinner) and away matches (as the second spinner with a 3 pace attack). India's bowling overseas is a bigger problem than their batting. To win a test match, you need to take 20 wickets no matter what surface you are playing. You can score 96 as a team in an Innings and still win the test with 8 wickets if your bowlers are good enough to get the opposition out for 47.

• Davcunto_Gravitas_Don_Statman on March 1, 2013, 0:14 GMT

He is a handy player, accurate in line and length plus can score a quick 30-40 runs in the lower middle order and a good fielder as well. CSK/dhoni influence or not.

• on February 28, 2013, 23:48 GMT

Jadeja scored 2 triple centuries in last season of Ranji.He has 3 triple centuries in FC cricket.So he deserves some more chances on basis of his domestic performances. He has not played a lot of Tests which is a different ball game than LOIs.

• Batmanindallas on February 28, 2013, 23:28 GMT

Let us categorize him as an all rounder once he takes 5 wickets and scores a hundred. Right now he is lucky to be ahead of rahane because of the lack of quality spinners in the country and poor opening batsmen. So to cover such a big hole we have the short sighted approach of giving players like Jadeja a pass while talented men like Rahane and Tiwari have been waiting for ever, maybe these guys should bowl to get a shot

• Natx on February 28, 2013, 23:22 GMT

Jadeja - all rounder? Holy cow! I openly challenge him here to play all remaining 6 innings on these Indian pitches and score one 50. He cannot. Answer, time and again he will lose his stump to Pattinson, Johnson and others. If he goes to SA, Aus or England he will come back as a new Agarkar (remember the world record of consecutive zeroes). He is absolutely useless beyond India. I feel pity for Rahane, Tiwary, an other hopefuls who one day dream of playing tests

• IndianInnerEdge on February 28, 2013, 23:03 GMT

I think tagging someone a 'rockstar' is a tad personal, rude & invading on someone's privacy. Ms Ugra - this is most unbecoming of a fantastic, through and thoughtful journalist you are, always enjoyed your articles, If shane warne annointed him a rockstar, thatz his personal view, by tagging him, u are piegon holing him and giving an unfair perception to the public-this is unfair...at least this dude with your'percieved rockstar status' wants to excel in the cricket that matters, at least appreciate that...:)

• on February 28, 2013, 23:02 GMT

All the hatred for Jadeja is not justified.Wake up guys if selectors think they need a left arm bowler and batsman there is no comparison between him and Ojha.He may be here to stay if India go on to win the next Test too. Manoj Tiwary has not been doing all that exceptional at Ranji level to merit consideration. Next best thing may prove to be Pervez Rassol as an allrounder if he gets to play for India soon and am sure he will come into the team sooner than people think.

• Baseball-Sucks on February 28, 2013, 22:54 GMT

He can't obviously bat. He can't bowl. But he is a rockstar. :)))) Overrating at its BEST. He is a laughing stock.

• TRAM on February 28, 2013, 22:24 GMT

Friends, when some of you guys blame it on CSK I hope you dont mean the city Chennai. If it is Chennai, Badri must have long been in Indian squad. My throat is dead shouting & begging for the inclusion of Badri. Even Anirudh Srikkanth does not get chance in CSK. Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja are not Chennai citizens. So it is not simply Chennai. This is India's curse. We saw Sir Ravi Shastri those days entering Indian XI after playing just ONE first class match, that too favorably against the weakest spin-players New Zealand, thanks to Sir Gavaskar then captain. Then we had Sir Rohit Sharma the future of Indian cricket. Now it is Sir Ravindra Jadeja. Nothing has changed other than the probably the turnover (income) in Indian cricket. cricinfo please publish.

• VickGower on February 28, 2013, 22:21 GMT

I just love this guy's attitude. He just seems to have the sort of hunger and skillset that could make him one of the most valuable player of his generation. I root for guys like Raina and Jadeja, who give their all as fielders. And he is so young. I would prefer to invest in players like him than Rohit, though to be fair, Rohit has had no opportunities in test cricket. His accuracy as a bowler is simply outstanding. Make one mistake, and he will get you. One stat from the last test surely deserving of mention in some record book is that in the 2nd innings he only bowled one bowl to the right handers that the batsman would not play. The world is full of negativity - nay sayers, no-can-dooers, armchair critcs who will always try to pull you down. I hope he can ignore their vitriol, and rise above. If he can put up an average of 30 runs and a couple of wickets at a healthy strike rate, with his fielding, he would seal the deal.

• on February 28, 2013, 21:53 GMT

A true Legend,he deserves a massive respect :D

• on February 28, 2013, 21:53 GMT

he is a 0 talent cricketer.mark my words.and it is time we stop glorifying such people

• axe_hay on February 28, 2013, 21:51 GMT

Lord Ravindra Jadeja...the greatest Indian allrounder after Kapil Dev ! Finally there is someone who can fill in Kapil's boots. Who else can score triple hundreds like he does ? He can be an understudy to Dhoni....as the next Indian captain.Lord Ravindra Jadeja can lead India to win the 2015 WC !

• RISHI2016 on February 28, 2013, 21:40 GMT

I also pose a question has any of his domestic performance comes with an outright victory (rather than one innings a side contests for 3 to 4 days)... in first class he now comes at number four (so is sachin of his state)..we play him as a bowler who can bat a bit though commentators keep on suggesting otherwise.. dhoni has made it clear he would be in test side so this is one place we wont be moving and suddenly we would have an away series and we would not have experimented (the very reason stalwarts like dravid and laxman retired) ..we have genuine all rounder like rasool irfan and yusuf ..we have pure batsmen like raydu (one of the best cricketing brains) tiwari and rahane ... problem is with attiude not that we lack talent...

• Angry_Bowler on February 28, 2013, 21:27 GMT

The guy who scored triple triple in first class matches, deserves a fair amount of chances. He may not have god given talent like nohit sharma, who got so many chanes inspite horrible performances, but he deserves at least 10% of what nohit sharma got. Actually, nohit sharma should have been playing test matches to prove his god given talent.

• RISHI2016 on February 28, 2013, 21:05 GMT

Again we r making star of a cricketer who is nothing but an "ordinary" cricketer..Jadeja happens to be a very mediocre but extremely lucky cricketer.. He was lucky to be in rajasthan royals which had some serious hitters like pathan and watson and one of the shrewdest of the captains... he became plain lucky when he cld hit good runs and got wickets just before the ipl auction and was with chennai. being wid chennai comes with its own perk... match practice for ipl at the expense of indian losses. don't we remember he was banned from ipl 2 as he was bargainingfor better price.. an year of decent performance has been rewarded with test berth which is so disappointing... i sometimes wonder whose place he eats, a rahane and an ojha at test an always fighting pathans in odis... can we have tried yusuf ever when we r goin transformation...no we wont for the simple fact that he can be more destructive than a dhoni... reason enough y we can never become a sporting nation.. request 2 publish

• nyc_missile on February 28, 2013, 21:04 GMT

@Dravid_Gravitas is spot on..Dhoni,selectors and the management act as if they can't see the dead-obvious.Superior players who're ready and fit like Tiwary,Rahane,Rayudu,Ojha- (some younger options)-Unmukt,Harmeet,Rasool,Sandeep Sharma etc must be cursing that they are not part of CSK..

• AzAb12754 on February 28, 2013, 20:51 GMT

Overrated player!! just an average all-rounder.

• on February 28, 2013, 20:39 GMT

Sir Ravindra Jadeja... No words.. Great commitment to cricket.. he wants to excel.. wow.. great personality.. its Sir Ravindra Jadeja..

• Shan156 on February 28, 2013, 20:14 GMT

While playing Jadeja in India against Aus. is all fine, it would be a disaster if he is in the playing XI against SA in SA. India needs their best batsmen if they are to avoid a whitewash. A win in SA would be rather difficult with their bowling. Last time they had Zaheer and Harbhajan in good form, with good support from Sreesanth, and managed to win in Durban where SA do poorly for some reason. Their batting was strong too with Sachin, Laxman, and Gambhir in fine form. Now the situation is different. SA are a lot stronger now especially with the inclusion of Philander. They are the #1 side and are coached by Kirsten. It would take a mighty effort from India to come back with a draw or two, leave alone replicate their 2010-2011 effort.

• on February 28, 2013, 20:03 GMT

He is a overrated player. I have not seen a good innings so far from him in any test match he has played so far. His bowling is just ok. He can not be in side as batsman or bowler alone so Dhoni is promoting him as all rounder. I think outside subcontinent he will struggle a lot both as batsman and bowler. I think Dhoni should invest in people who can play in all conditions. I would like to see Manoj Tiwari included in team for SA test.

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on February 28, 2013, 20:01 GMT

Why do we have to keep saying he needs to improve to fit in there, when we already have players who can fit in there? What sin have the others committed and what is this special fixation to Jadeja? Aah, CSK it is!

• Prakmca on February 28, 2013, 20:01 GMT

Jadeja is limited-overs specialist?????? How many limited over matches he won for India or for the respective team????

I bet he cannot bat against the seaming/swinging balls. If the attack is something South Africa (Steyn/Morkel), he will fail miserably. He cannot meet the ball with the bat.

Even he cannot bat against Strac/Pattison in overseas pitches......

I am not sure, if any one is capable yeah media can write like this praising their talent.

Just revisit the match against England where he scored 60+ runs in 40+ balls - Out of that 60 + runs, how many convincing shots he played in that innigs???? he simply keep swinging the bat, his good time all balls met the bat. This is not real talent.. it's miracle. Miracle will not repeat often.

• inswing on February 28, 2013, 19:53 GMT

Jadeja is clearly a very useful bowler in Indian conditions. He is yet to show his ability with the bat in Tests. If he is able to contribute with the bat, he can become a permanent fixture in the team. Otherwise, he will be dropped as soon as India ventures overseas.

• kc69 on February 28, 2013, 19:46 GMT

so lets honour him as "Sir Ravindra Jadeja"...lol

• chetan129 on February 28, 2013, 19:43 GMT

He looked OK with the ball in the chennai test, but how long does Team India take the OK performanace ? And how is the prospect of having him in the team or for the matter in the squad when they tour overseas ? They will throw in a new, untested batsmen in SA at no 6, he will fail obviously and his career will be over.

• sk12 on February 28, 2013, 19:36 GMT

His bowling is ok - can be attacking on helpful surfaces and restrictive otherwise. But his batting leaves a lot to be desired. Even in T20 and ODIs, he doesnt inspire any confidence at all, always seems to be late in his shots, doesnt have raw power neither. Not saying he wont improve, but he needs to work real hard on his batting and eye.

• on February 28, 2013, 19:35 GMT

Man don't make us laugh!!!!

• on February 28, 2013, 19:32 GMT

Can he be a new Ravi Shastri?

• Paras.Rishi on February 28, 2013, 19:31 GMT

This shows how much control does MS Dhoni and Srinivasan have on the playing XI. A guy with poor technique and very much average bowling gets to represent India at Test level. I feel ashamed!

• Shajadul on February 28, 2013, 19:21 GMT

If you really want to do well then come Bangladesh and learn the true art of left arm spin .... I hope you do well....

• Shajadul on February 28, 2013, 19:21 GMT

• Paras.Rishi on February 28, 2013, 19:31 GMT

• on February 28, 2013, 19:32 GMT

Can he be a new Ravi Shastri?

• on February 28, 2013, 19:35 GMT

Man don't make us laugh!!!!

• sk12 on February 28, 2013, 19:36 GMT

• chetan129 on February 28, 2013, 19:43 GMT

• kc69 on February 28, 2013, 19:46 GMT

so lets honour him as "Sir Ravindra Jadeja"...lol

• inswing on February 28, 2013, 19:53 GMT

• Prakmca on February 28, 2013, 20:01 GMT

Even he cannot bat against Strac/Pattison in overseas pitches......

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on February 28, 2013, 20:01 GMT