India A v England XI, Mumbai, 3rd day

Patel, Yuvraj shine in draw

ESPNcricinfo staff

November 1, 2012

India A 124 for 4 (Rahane 54, Anderson 2-20) and 369 (Tiwary 93, Bresnan 3-59) drew with England XI 426 (Cook 119, Patel 104, Yuvraj 5-94)
Scorecard

England XI celebrate a wicket, India A v England XI, Mumbai, 3rd day, November 1, 2012
James Anderson picked up two early wickets in the second innings © AFP
Players/Officials: Samit Patel | Yuvraj Singh
Series/Tournaments: England tour of India
Teams: England | India

Two players vying for the No.6 spots in India's and England's Test teams put forward strong claims in the first tour game which ended in a draw in at the Brabourne Stadium. Samit Patel, unbeaten on 82 on the second day, went on to complete his century while Yuvraj Singh collected a five-wicket haul to add to his first-day half-century.

Overall, England XI had a productive outing as two of their batsmen scored hundreds to help them to 426 in the first innings, 57 more than the hosts. Their fast bowlers then accounted for three of the four wickets to fall to reduce India A to 124 for 4 after 40 overs just before the captains agreed to a draw. Both England spinners - Graeme Swann and Patel - also bowled long spells in the match and were moderately successful. The only concern for England will be Steven Finn, who pulled out on the first day after a niggle in his right thigh and took no further part in the match.

England started the day 83 behind and lost Alastair Cook in the fifth over of the morning after he had added only seven runs to his overnight 112. Patel, however, carried on in the company of Matt Prior, who scored a quick half-century, and shared a 65-run stand that took England two runs short of leveling India A's score.

Yuvraj then showed the value of his left-arm spin when he broke the aggressive stand with the wicket of Patel and had Prior out in the same over. But Tim Bresnan constructed two important partnerships with Swann and James Anderson to take England past 400. Yuvraj broke the ninth-wicket stand and completed his five-for with Anderson's wicket and the innings folded as the injured Finn didn't come out to bat.

India A's top order, which has a number of Test team hopefuls, struggled to make any impact in response. First innings' half-centurion Abhinav Mukund fell in the third over while M Vijay failed to build after a start. Yuvraj was the third to fall before the score crossed the century mark. He scored 14. Ajinkya Rahane scored a half-century but fell towards the end of the day for 54. Anderson accounted for both the openers in his seven-over spell while Bresnan and Patel shared a wicket each.

England will play their next warm-up match against Mumbai A from November 3 in Mumbai.

Posted by   on (November 2, 2012, 23:17 GMT)

CicketingStargazer is bang on the money, I feel. This is a multicultural society, and proud of it. I do wonder sometimes if those having a pop at the ethnic mix of the England team simply have a deep antipathy towards the English, and are looking for any excuse, in which case, sorry, chaps, but you're always welcome to pop round for tea, I personally don't have a problem with you.

Cricket-wise as a tour opener this struck me as a reasonable start. Seemed a decent India A side, nice to see some wickets for Anderson, who as we all know is wholly incapable of bowling outside Trent Bridge. and even the only when it's about to rain. Amazing he has the amount of wickets he does, really, must have played there a lot

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (November 2, 2012, 21:32 GMT)

England XI at the moment looking like: Cook; Compton; Trott; Pietersen; Bell/Bairstow; Patel; Prior; Bresnan/Broad; Swann; Anderson; Onions/Panesar.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 2, 2012, 10:17 GMT)

@Min2_crick That tends to be inevitable in a multicultural society in a multicultural country. Most British people would see it as a sign of strength. I did some numbers a couple of years ago and worked out that so-called minorities have been over-represented in the England side by something like a factor of two compared to their fraction of the population over the last 20 years, which seems to suggest that they have a big desire to succeed that pushes them forward. It tends though to go in phases: in the '80s and '90s it was the Afro-Caribbean population that was prominent in the side (Cowans, Slack, the Butchers, etc), since the mid-90s there has been a shift to players of Asian descent (Hussain, Panesar, Patel, etc.)

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (November 2, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

@jb633 + @Rogerunionjack. Hi guy. Yea I agree with you - what is all this yahoo about Samit Patel "Indian"...!? I really don't know how?? - if you are born in Britain, go to school in Britain, hold British passport, play all sport in Britain, play cricket for England - yet because of "name" this make you Indian? EH!?! No convince is required here. Samit Patel is British plain as day. It is funny to see Indian try to claim him. Evidently they are short of good home grown talent there in India if they want to take our :-)

Posted by Min2_cric on (November 2, 2012, 9:25 GMT)

whoever england plays with, there is always one player in their squad that has roots of opposing teams...don't give me stupid examples of pakistan wi...they r exceptions...

Posted by brittop on (November 2, 2012, 8:55 GMT)

@jb633: I have a feeling that England were always going to play Patel not Panesar. They really don't like only having two fast bowlers. Maybe they have a point seeing as how they've never won a game when both Swann & Panesar were playing.

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (November 2, 2012, 7:15 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster: the reason we don't play spin well is basic, we aren't taught to use our feet. It's more of play-from-the-crease or on the back foot(which is why Ajmal got so many LBWs). KP perhaps, is the only exception. My only point about Flower was that while it is too late to teach old dogs new tricks, we could benefit from his previous Indian experiences on slow and low pitches. Personally, I feel too much is being made of our guys's inability to play spin. We sure do need to improve, but it's not that bad. T20 shouldn't be used as a yardstick, and we lost in the Gulf simply because Ajmal was terrific.

Posted by Meety on (November 2, 2012, 6:34 GMT)

***Firstly - I think Yuvraj has comprehensively answered Dhoni's question about being able to cope with fielding for 2 days. His bowling workload confirms this. ***Secondly - whilst the India A side was modest (particularly in bowling), England showed that they can take wickets - even in an adverse situation. ***Thirdly - whilst England's batting was good on the whole (Cook & Patel shone), it must be worrying to have Yuvraj calim 5 wickets. So on the whole - England can take some positives out of this, India will need to be on top of their game when the Tests roll around.

Posted by   on (November 2, 2012, 5:03 GMT)

@Sundaresh R Iyer Why do you doubt Anderson in these conditions? Granted any swing bowler will be at his best on green tracks under a cloudy sky but he took his wickets at an average of 27 in the UAE and 21 in Sri Lanka. At the start of his career Anderson was very dependent on the conditions but he's accurate enough to be pretty dangerous without much help from the pitch these days.

Posted by g.narsimha on (November 2, 2012, 4:45 GMT)

i believe MAT PRIOR is a unsung hero of this ENG team, very dagerous midle order batsman , not many got the point that he was instrumental in ENG 4-0 drubbing of IND in ENG , in the first test ENG was reeling 5 or 6 down around 100, than he took the game it happened not once in that seriese , i love his fighting spirit he should be regular for ENG in all formats i am sure he will defintly playing a very important role in this series .

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 2, 2012, 3:17 GMT)

@Rogerunionjack: Who said about scaring "MIGHTY" England ? Or would you like the Indians to prop up some Halloween costumes on the day of the test to give England a nasty fright ? Come on man ! Of course England are poor against spin bowling. It ain't no mystery. A talk about spin and turning tracks is only to cast doubts into those English minds. Whenever India tour Australia, SA and England. All you guys talk is PACE, PACE, and PACE ! Does that scare India ? NO ! But it's obvious India are uncomfortable against pace and bounce. The same logic applies here. There is only so much any team can prepare for. I don't think England can really say at any point in time that they are finally 'comfortable' to play spin bowling.

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (November 2, 2012, 2:31 GMT)

These comments about Patel being an Indian are ridiculous. I'm no historian, but by that logic why don't you guys claim entire Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka & Afghanistan teams as India B, India C, India D & India E? Maybe half the WI too... But back to the cricket, this constant repetition of how India have prepared turning tracks for the four tests, etc.... if the intention is to scare your opponents, I'm not sure it's the best of tactics. Flower was one of the best players of spin in his time, and we'll certainly be prepared.

Posted by RodStark on (November 2, 2012, 1:54 GMT)

This has nothing to do with the game but rather the way Cricinfo works. I only get to read these comments and add my own late in the evening US time. The next evening I get back on to see if anyone had any response to my comments, but by then the report and comments seem to have disappeared without trace. Am I missing something? Can anyone help me find the previous day's articles? I suppose if anyone can, this will also have disappeared by the time I can get back on to check so I'll never know....

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 2, 2012, 1:49 GMT)

@JG2704: Yes, Cook's form will be vital for England. Him and Patel looked the most comfortable against the India A bowlers. The rest well.. there will be tougher challenges ahead. Prior played well I thought. And from the bowling, England put up a decent show. Having said that, I also feel the Indian batting has to be a lot more circumspect in the actual series. Can't be too aggressive all the time.

Posted by   on (November 2, 2012, 1:48 GMT)

Still u people keep trust on Ojha and Ashwin?????????????

Posted by jb633 on (November 2, 2012, 1:03 GMT)

In terms of these tour games I don't think anyone should look into them too much. I think that in the big games the big players come out to play and it does not suprise me at all that KP never produces in these games. The fear I have with this game is that Samit Patel is now going to be selected in the test match side ahead of Monty. I feel this will be a very negative choice as Patel really does not offer much with the ball. From India's perspective I would go with Rahane as the no 6 and stick with him. This guy has serious talents and I have been a massive fan of his for a few years. I also thought Mukund looked decent enough on the England tour but I doubt India will drop Viru or Ghambir before the big series. I am still nervous about waking up at 7 am to see the score at 50-5 like I did constantly in the UAE tour but I am really hoping we have learnt some lessons from that disaster. England must be positive.

Posted by jb633 on (November 2, 2012, 0:53 GMT)

@Imskrk, I feel these comments really should be deleted from cricinfo as they are actually quite offensive. Just because Patel may have roots in India he is most certainly English. I played both school and club cricket agaisnt him so he has been educated and raised in England. What more must a man do to prove he is English?

Posted by jmcilhinney on (November 1, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

It seems to me that Raina is to India like Morgan is to England. They are both great in the short forms but seem unable to translate that to the longer form, even though the selectors seem rather keen on them. Am I mistaken or did this match end early, presumably by agreement of both captains? It seems odd to me that Raina would agree to end the game early given that he was at the crease and had failed in the first innings. Is that a sign that he has resigned himself to not getting a place in the upcoming Tests?

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 23:02 GMT)

@SC13159: Great Comment man.

Posted by Patchmaster on (November 1, 2012, 22:16 GMT)

Can anyone tell me why Prior isn't in the T20 side, I know he had a bad run for a while in the T20 squad, but he scores SO quickly, he's one of the worlds best keepers, he be a great vice captiain in the side etc etc - surely he has to have another run ?

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (November 1, 2012, 22:11 GMT)

Good little workout for the mighty, mighty England. I have a theory that India's eyesight is getting worse, lets face it the average age of the test team is about 45

Posted by Cricketfan11111 on (November 1, 2012, 22:10 GMT)

Patel may have indian roots. As I understand Patel was born in Leicester and learnt his cricket in England. If only roots define us who we are, we all are monkeys.lol.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 21:12 GMT)

Indians will be cautious with Cook, KP and Trott. The rest are surely gonna have a great test with the turning wickets, Red SG balls, fielders around the legs and the home crowd.

And in the bowling department, I am skeptical about Anderson's skills on these kinda conditions. But Bresnan could be a magic bowler for the English.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 1, 2012, 20:55 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster on (November 01 2012, 18:28 PM GMT) I think both teams will take positives from this game. For India a few batsmen have put their names forward and I guess Yuvraj is now favoured for the number 6 spot. It seems not too many want Raina in there. England will be pleased with Cook's form and more importantly the fact that the lower mid order got them out of a bit of a hole. We have to also be realistic in that this was nothing like the attack we would be facing in the tests. Our bowlers struggled to finish the A side off but I suppose we were down to 3 proper bowlers for most of the inns.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 20:35 GMT)

England can't handle yuvraj, they would be ripped apart by ashwin and ojha. 2nd new ball won't be required when England bat:)

Posted by brittop on (November 1, 2012, 20:26 GMT)

Eat_sleep_play_cricket: In the tour match against Somerset, Graeme Smith got out to Gemaal Hussain (now played 31 1st class matches), Jacques Rudolph to Jamie Overton (3), Hashim Amla to Jack Leach (3), and JP Duminy to Craig Overton (7). Didn't seem to do them much harm.

Posted by brittop on (November 1, 2012, 20:11 GMT)

Imsrk on (November 01 2012, 17:16 PM GMT): Leicester.

Posted by nursery_ender on (November 1, 2012, 20:09 GMT)

Oops. Plays for Notts but born Leicester. Still English though.

Posted by nursery_ender on (November 1, 2012, 20:07 GMT)

Imsrk: Patel is from Nottingham. Last time I looked that was still part of England.

Posted by CandidIndian on (November 1, 2012, 20:03 GMT)

All this hype about rank turners but frankly we have not seen rank turners in India from long time, generally we see good batting tracks on which ball spins on 4th and 5th day.This Mumbai wicket was perfect example of such pitch.Dhoni opened with Ojha in tests against NZ recently, if India's strategy is to play on rank turners and open with spinners they should go with three spinners.Its not good for confidence of young bowler like Umesh to get under-bowled.Also if India is going in by same line up which played against NZ then Eng bowlers must be happy as Raina, Sehwag and Gambhir are in extremely poor form,calling them sitting ducks is by no means unfair.Tendulkar is shadow of himself and Dhoni has always struggled in tests.Like i mentioned earlier Eng has a upper hand in this series until selectors take some hard decisions and select in form young players.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 19:49 GMT)

@ Posted by Imsrk on (November 01 2012, 17:16 PM GMT) He is from Leicester... which is in England

Posted by GasPipe on (November 1, 2012, 19:26 GMT)

@Insmrk Patel was born in Leicester. So he is English of Indian descent. Get over it.

Posted by kevnssuresh on (November 1, 2012, 19:13 GMT)

The biggest problem I see here for No 6 spot is the average based on their past exp. Both Raina and Yuvi never crossed teh average 40 in tests since both are attacking players and they are more suitable for limited overs. Though Viru also an attacking player but he proved he can still score when he is in good form :). I prefer giving few chances to either Rahene or Tiwary. I am considering Tiwary not based on his runs in prev match in general he played well in domestic cricket so it makes sense for me to give a chance to either Tiwary or Rahene unless Dhoni wants Yuvi/Raina for extra spin option (prefer Yuvi if he is fit to play 5 days) though Tiwary can also bowl leg spin but Yuvi's left arm spin can add more value to pick up an extra pacer or additional spinner in the team for more veriety to trouble English batsmen. If Dhoni wants additional pacer I prefer Irfan since he can bat decently well...

Posted by spence1324 on (November 1, 2012, 18:44 GMT)

@Eat sleep cricket , we are here to play test cricket not ipl !

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 1, 2012, 18:28 GMT)

@JG2704: Definitely England are not that bad a test team to get whitewashed. If they do get whitewashed then... that would only go to show how either team are poor overseas. Anyway, England should be fairly pleased with this outcome. Yes, it's only a 3 day game against India's second XI. As an Indian supporter though, I am pleased with the character our young bowling attack showed to dislodge a strong English batting for just a paltry lead of 50. So both sets of fans have positives. Now on to the next tour game.

Posted by Selassie-I on (November 1, 2012, 17:56 GMT)

Posted by Imsrk on (November 01 2012, 17:16 PM GMT) - finishing your sentence, Patel is from... Leicester, a city in the east midlands of ENGLAND.

Posted by Wharfeseamer on (November 1, 2012, 17:53 GMT)

@Imsrk... Samit Patel Born Leicester in 1987. Last time I looked Leicester was in England...

Posted by subbass on (November 1, 2012, 17:51 GMT)

Samit Patel was born in Nottingham, England I believe. Of course he could have played for India as his parents are both Indian. It's called dual nationality and is much like our SA born players who have UK parents !

Posted by warneneverchuck on (November 1, 2012, 17:16 GMT)

I feel only one ENG player played decently cook. Patel is from ?

Posted by JG2704 on (November 1, 2012, 17:14 GMT)

I'd say England got the better of this actual game but as others have pointed out we are in for a much harder test in the test series although while preparing rank turners will make batting harder for England if Swann and Monty perform at their best it could be tricky for them. Personally I'm happy that we have been given a tougher test (compared to UAE) in this warm up match at least although I hope our batsmen in particular realise that things will get much tougher in the test series , although maybe we might not get the whitewash that so many predicted

Posted by JG2704 on (November 1, 2012, 17:14 GMT)

@InsideHedge on (November 01 2012, 13:24 PM GMT) Is Finn's fitness record that bad? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Broad and Bres were our 2 regulars on the treatment table?

Posted by Tlotoxl on (November 1, 2012, 17:14 GMT)

Cpt.Meanster: England scored a lead of over 50, both times caused a clatter of early wickets in both innings with 8 of the 14 India A wickets to fall fell to fast bowlers disproving the myth that they will be hopeless in India. As for Englands batting 2 centuries and 2 50s out of the top 7 and useful lower order runs bodes well, the only worries for me as an England fan is having a new opener and Bells form.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 17:05 GMT)

YuvraJ!!!! He is need to play as Indian Player against English Team!

Posted by Eat_Sleep_Play_Cricket on (November 1, 2012, 16:52 GMT)

@English Fans: As usual are uni dimensional. It what ways the result is a better one for England? This is India A team and only one player from this team will make it to TEAM INDIA. England even struggled to score at 4 runs per over which tells your batsman are clearly wondering which way the ball's spinning. England could not play Yuvi's spin on a Flat track, what will your team be doing when they face Ojha and Ashwin on a spinning wicket. Scary times ahead!!!!

Posted by CricketChat on (November 1, 2012, 16:40 GMT)

M Vijay, who had been caning the domestic attacks mercilessly, fails once again when it really matters to show case his cause. This is exactly the reason why he is not in Ind team.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 1, 2012, 16:31 GMT)

@Meanster, good tactics to play the England batsmen into some form and confidence. However, with India A having to bat most of the afternoon to avoid the outside chance of a defeat (and not being exactly convincing doing it), I would agree that it was equal, but that one side was a lot more equal than the other.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

With 5 wickets falling to Yuvraj, the pitch didn't seem to behave like the "green-top fast wicket" that some people assumed it was. Since world cup, Yuvraj has been bowling great with really good success. I think based on the current form, he can easily be the second or third spinner in the squad depending on how many spinners India chooses to play.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

overall at the end of play both teams would be satisfied.India got positive as abhinav mukund nd tiwary as positives nd above all yuvi fifer cant be neglected. Now it looks like yuvi had prove himself for the 6th spot and their is also wake up call for our openers if they dont perform there are players like abhinav , vijay , dhwan to fill their spot . Bit dissapointed with the pacers beside dinda no other pacer can cause any kind of trouble for eng . BCCI shud look for other pacer to groom, this was a gud platform for them to learn

Posted by bobmartin on (November 1, 2012, 16:10 GMT)

Yuvraj is like Pietersen.. on the odd day a match winner. but otherwise inconsistent.. I'm delighted for Samit Patel.. maybe this is the breakthrough that he needs..I hope so. England will draw no conclusions from this match other than the fact that the batters got some crease time and the bowlers, apart from Finn, got some rustiness out of their system. That is how the other two will be viewed too.. They all know that the real test is yet to come.

Posted by subbass on (November 1, 2012, 15:54 GMT)

Can't complain, a couple of tons scored and some wickets for most the bowlers. Dangerous to read too much into a daft 3 day game, but if we'd have got beat the knives would have been out. Hope Finny gets fit in time for the 1st Test, we could do with an out and out quick bowler.

Credit to Yuvi also nice to see him fighting back from his illness, go Yuvi..

Posted by cricket9lover on (November 1, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

this article says yuraj singh should be selected yuraj singh raina rohit have been given enough chances for left arm spin we already have a better bowler in ojha so why not select rahane in place of sehwag/gambhir and tiwary at no 6 spot zaheer should not be selected try other bowlers from domestic who hits 140 regularly and will be an assert overseas.

Posted by Sarthak1305 on (November 1, 2012, 15:33 GMT)

Well my question is if on a placid track Yuvraj a part time bowler ( although now its a bit debatable) took 5 wickets then wont Ashwin and Ojha completely spin them out of the competition? given of course we take all our catches and the Dhoni does a better job behind the stumps than Saha

Posted by jackiethepen on (November 1, 2012, 15:23 GMT)

Bell needs runs or he's a goner? You don't watch much cricket then mikey76. Cook got really poor scores in his last (Test) match. But he's put that to rights because he is a good player. Same for Bell who was the England player of the summer. Bell, Trott, Cook and KP aren't 'goners' because they get low scores occasionally. They are the backbone of our Test side. Bell took 4 catches in the match but no one mentions the fielding unless it is poor.

Posted by gsingh7 on (November 1, 2012, 15:23 GMT)

hope we see a 3-0 whitewash anything less wud be shame on part of india , jai hind

Posted by shillingsworth on (November 1, 2012, 15:10 GMT)

@InsideHedge - where is the evidence for Finn's 'appalling' fitness record? Since making his debut in 2010, he has yet to miss a test through injury.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (November 1, 2012, 15:08 GMT)

Having Yuvraj at No 6 is a foregone conclusion because he adds value to the bowling. He is also a very good fielder. Besides he has a very good record against England.

Posted by S-A-M-1994 on (November 1, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

Future of india's Cricket Looks Bleak

Posted by Rajesh_india_1990 on (November 1, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

@mikey76 how can you say england will be the winners if there should be a fourth day?its not easy to bat in 4th innings in india..even a target of 200 seems invisible in 4th innings...

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 14:58 GMT)

finally england performed well in this match?i dont think so in their 9 wickets 6 fall for part time spinners and what would happen if there is atleast one specalist spinner?and they are going to face dangearous pair in test in india ashwin and ojha and yuvarj also i think they cant do well india if they played like this the scores in test match are india-400 england-250 india-300/5 england-300

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 14:51 GMT)

Cricinfo - please have better quality of report. You have hardly provided any information outside of what we can see in the scorecard. Thank you.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 1, 2012, 14:40 GMT)

Overall an EQUAL terms affair. No clear advantage to both teams. But India A played REALLY well, above expectations. To bowl out England for just over 400 on a good batting wicket is exceptional. Besides most of the India A players are YOUNG. Goes to show how BRIGHT India's test future is, at least on the batting front. England, well they could be pleased how their bowlers fared in general. Still, I wouldn't be too excited if I were England. These kind of pitches WON'T be a part of the actual series. Nevertheless, a fair tour game for a beginning.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 14:33 GMT)

Indian and NRI shine in draw would be an apt tittle:)

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (November 1, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

England gained more from this match than India A. Two centuries, two fifties, and fourteen opposition wickets. India A only had Singh's all round performance to show. Two more warm ups like these, and we'll be in the groove and ready, unlike most of the Indian test team who might be ring rusty. It increasingly seems that Kohli's performance might decide the series, if we can get him early, we've got a real chance. Very pleased with Cook's maturity, he may not be flashy and flamboyant, but at the end of the day he'll still be around. Plus Trott/KP/Bell are also steady & reliable. Good start to the tour guys.

Posted by PACERONE on (November 1, 2012, 14:08 GMT)

It would be interesting to know when Swann bowled those six maidens.maybe as usual a few before lunch,after lunch,just before close of play when the batsman has closed shop for those intervals.the remaining 17 overs bowled went for over 5 per over.England and Swann should be worried.

Posted by mikey76 on (November 1, 2012, 13:43 GMT)

Good solid start from the boys. Probably would have been comfortable winners had the match been a four day affair, and this with a bowler down. It looks like a battle between Broad and Onions for the other seamers spot after Bresnans impressive outing. Bell desperately needs some runs or he's a goner. The next two matches are against moderate opposition so there are no excuses.

Posted by InsideHedge on (November 1, 2012, 13:29 GMT)

A poor workout for the Indians, barring the incredible Yuvraj. Fancy picking up a Five-fer on what looks like a placid track! That should answer Dhoni's concerns on his fitness, in the past few weeks Yuvi has batted hours to score a double ton and now impressed with his bowling. I don't believe he's been off the field for any length of time either.

Instead, MSD should be more concerned with the FORM of his players. A round of Ranji games begins and I hope for the sake of the Indian team, we see guys like SRT, Zaheer, et al get into some kind of form. I feel a sense of complacency amongst the players, they seem to think the groundsmen will dish up turning tracks and all they have to do is to show up.

Posted by InsideHedge on (November 1, 2012, 13:24 GMT)

A good workout for England, altho it looks to me as tho we won't see Finn in the Test series. Both Finn and Tremlett appear, to me, destined to have injury curtailed careers, their track record in cricket fitness is appalling.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 13:18 GMT)

YV has proved himself ready for playing test by his form and fitness.he has taken 5 wickets and scored a half century...so,we wants him for playing for India in test series

Posted by CricketMaan on (November 1, 2012, 13:14 GMT)

Wonder how this report would have been had Saha not messed up behind stumps yesterday. having said that well palyed Cook and Patel. IMO, Cook, KP are the BIG DADDY scorers, while Trott and Prior will be the game changers, especially Prior, on his day he can turn things upside down with his attacking play. Patel might have scored 100 today, but Tests are different so have to wait and see if he is in the line up. I'd think Bairstow will be ahead of him in the race. For India, good signs from Yuvi and Tiwary and Mukund, no so much from others.

Posted by sandeepgla on (November 1, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

I will put MJ for no-6 spot ahead of Yuvi and SRaina.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (November 1, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

Day 3 clearly won by England. They played much better cricket than what we managed in the entire tour of England. Well played England.

Posted by Selassie-I on (November 1, 2012, 13:00 GMT)

What is this 'report'? I could have deduced all of this from the scorecard. Cricinfo - please do better. Who bowled well? Who batted well? how exactly were players out? some actual information not available from the scorecard would be great! Happy with the teams performance against fringe test plaers, these guys are no mugs! Again no complaints from me about test selection here.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

Raina should definitely not be part of the test team. Yuvraj did not do much wrong but the selectors should play him in the remaining two tour matches. Manoj Tiwary should also get a chance to play. His 93 was a good reminder that we have the batting arsenal to fill the void left by Laxman. More importantly what do the selectors do with the openers that average 53. Both should be dropped, clearly we have openers who will perform better than S and G.

Posted by ankit1 on (November 1, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

good performance by England. For India Yuvraj and Tiwari shines. Not sure only spinners can win all test for India.

Posted by   on (November 1, 2012, 12:49 GMT)

Oh my god,England bowled out by a weak India A bowling attack,that too without a spinner! Superb bowling by Yuvraj,also getting the wicket of KP. My XI for India will be-Sehwag,Rahane,Pujara,Tendulkar,Kohli,Yuvraj,Dhoni,Ashwin,Ojha,Zaheer,Yadav.

Posted by TATTUs on (November 1, 2012, 12:45 GMT)

The question is should Yuvraj be selected for the '5 wicket haul'.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013