India v England, 4th Test, Nagpur, 2nd day

Hello, Rahane here, anyone listening?

My first-class average is 63.35. I have travelled a lot with the Indian team. When openers fail, I am not picked; when middle order fails, I am still not picked. I wonder if I am good enough for this beast called Test cricket

Sidharth Monga

December 14, 2012

Ajinkya Rahane plays the ball to the off side, Mumbai v Punjab, Ranji Trophy, Group A, Mumbai, 2nd day, December 9, 2012
One day I am playing for India A against the touring Englishmen, the next I am playing Ranji Trophy for Mumbai, and in the next week I am carrying drinks for India © Fotocorp
Players/Officials: Ajinkya Rahane
Series/Tournaments: England tour of India
Teams: India

Hello. My name is Ajinkya Rahane. I made my first-class debut as an opener in September 2007, in the Mohammad Nissar Trophy, which used to be played between Ranji champions and Quaid-e-Azam champions. I scored 143 in that match. In the coming season, Wasim Jaffer was dropped from the Test side, and he came back to Mumbai as an opener. So I moved down to No. 3. I might have scored a duck in my first first-class innings as a No. 3, but I ended that domestic season with an average of 56.50.

Since then, if you take out one disappointing tour of the West Indies, with the India A side, I have never averaged below 56.85 in any first-class season. My overall first-class average is 63.35, and only 37.34 in List A. Accordingly, I was picked for the side that the touring Australians played against before the Tests in 2010-11. I was only 22 then. I scored a century in that first-class game, but lost out to Cheteshwar Pujara as replacement for Sourav Ganguly, who, too, had been scoring heavily in domestic cricket.

I went back to Ranji and kept scoring runs, batting anywhere in the top three. I thought that gave me a better chance of making it to the Test side, because I could now play both as an opener and in the middle order. I was prepared to wait. After all we had three greats in the middle order and two settled openers. Then I saw the openers take rest. I saw the replacements fail. I saw the original openers come back and fail. My chance, though, came in ODIs, despite my averages in domestic cricket suggesting my stronger suit was not the limited-overs game.

I was not one to complain. I made the most of my ODI debut, which came thanks to a glut of injuries to first-choice players. I made decent runs in that ODI series. Some even said I was one of the few bright spots on a tour of England where we lost practically everything. Now the middle order was failing too. I knew my chance in Tests couldn't be that far away. Pujara was injured, Suresh Raina had failed. For the home Tests against West Indies that season, India went back to Virat Kohli. He is a serious batsman, and I didn't see anything wrong in giving him more chances.

Then came the tour of Australia, and I and my team-mate from Mumbai, Rohit Sharma, were both on that plane. He was a back-up middle-order batsman, I could fit in anywhere in the order should the need arise. We had both travelled a bit with the squad without getting our debuts. He too had a much better first-class average than List A, but had been persisted with only in limited-overs cricket.

Still we were excited to come to Australia. It soon turned sour. Throughout the tour we saw the openers and the middle order fail with remarkable consistency - except for Kohli - but we never got our chance. Sometimes, especially a day before the Test, we would go to a corner in the nets, and give each other throwdowns. I can't reveal here what the team's reasons for persisting with failing batsmen were, but I read in some newspapers and websites that the selectors were wondering just the same. The captain and coach, though, reportedly said they were waiting for the selectors to make the tough calls.

Anyway, the tour got over, I came back to India, and scored a hundred in IPL, which surprisingly made far more people ask why I was not being picked. I wished I had known earlier that it was so easy. Either side of that IPL, two of the greatest Indian batsmen ever - Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman - retired.

Two places opened. Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane in, right? Wrong. Rohit was dropped for his poor run in the one-day game, which, at least statistically, is not his preferred format. Me, I lost out to Raina, who was now getting a third bite at the cherry. He failed again. The other place went to Pujara, who had recovered from his injury. He duly claimed it.

Still, there were eight home Tests remaining. Raina had failed, and I was expecting a debut against England in Ahmedabad. Enter Yuvraj Singh, who had recovered from his illness and had scored a double-century in Duleep Trophy. As soon as he was named in the squad, I was sure I won't play the first Test. He is a left-arm spinner too, and they say Kevin Pietersen is suspect against them.

Now a new season began with me not knowing where and for whom I will be playing. One day I am playing for India A against the touring Englishmen, the next I am playing Ranji Trophy for Mumbai, and in the next week I am carrying drinks for India. The Indian batting meanwhile keeps failing after the aberration in Ahmedabad. Calls for change are big as India trail 2-1. Now even Yuvraj has failed and has been dropped.

Surely now I will play in Nagpur? I had another think coming. Ravindra Jadeja has scored two triple-centuries in Ranji Trophy, which I can't do because I don't even know when I will be released to play Ranji and when I will be asked to be the 12th man. Jadeja bowls left-arm spin too. I am confused, though. When openers fail, I am not picked; when middle order fails, I am still not picked. I wonder if I am good enough for this beast called Test cricket.

Okay, I think, triple-centuries are not a joke. Let's see how Jadeja does. As a bowler he is steady, but India have three other specialist spinners in the side. On day two, Indian batting fails again. They are 71 for 4. Now that's a debut, I think. But enter the captain at No. 6. Oh well.

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Posted by   on (December 16, 2012, 17:54 GMT)

pls read this to know how poor indian team selection is

Posted by   on (December 16, 2012, 17:26 GMT)

Absolutely fantastic article...Ajinkya Rahane is the next big thing not in Indian cricket, but in world cricket but on one condition, if he is given a chance....He has been the best batsman in the Indian domestic circuit for the past three years...don't doubt it, because he has the best first class average in the whole world by a living batsman...He is exceeded only by Bradman and Vijay Merchant both of whom are no more..If Raina, Yuvraj, Jadeja, and even Pujara and Kohli are better than him, I don't know what to say...

Posted by Indian_Cricket_Fanatic on (December 16, 2012, 6:15 GMT)

@all badri supporters....I love badri myself. But is badrinath capable of opening as well ? Rahane does open too and is ready to bat down at 6,7 too. Badrinath supporters should stop moaning. He was real unlucky to have his time in presence of fab 4 and you shouldn't argue cause India had real deal in batting for the last one decade.He is way past his age now. Why do you want someone to start being regular at 32 when most englishman retire at 35? Rahane is the finest test player from the younger lot and I feel real real sad as our captain dhoni gave jadeja a place instead of this chap. Jadeja gets a game after his somewhat rajkot lucky triples and he's proven ill-temperament in the limited overs, where as rahane who's attitude is seen in his eyes, doesn't get a game? Dhoni sucks. I love him. But when it comes to choosing right ones for right format. He sucks. Even Dravid while opening with rahane in Ipl had said he's the future of indian cricket..I feel real pity for him....

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 16:14 GMT)

Lots to think for the selectors

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

Rahane and pujara will we the key for Australia series,both willl stun the visiting team,tats for sure. Sending rahane at 2,sachin can step down to No:5 will solve most of the issue...

Dhoni have to forget about piches and conditions and play cool game like before .......

Posted by astopal on (December 15, 2012, 13:23 GMT)

Excellent article Mr. Monga . It is incomprehensible with Selectors and Captain's thinking. Rahane was in the squad ahead of Jadeja(hewhomustnotbeinanyways). By even slightest of logic this guy had to be roped in in place of Yuvi. But let's jog our memory to other fallacies in this great captain/selectors plans

Piyush Chawla 9 wickets at 48.33 and Amit Mishra 14 wickets at 22.8 . So if Jadeja was selected on current form then what about the wrist spinner?

Rohit Sharma Like Rahane has excellent first class average of 58 while an average List A average of 34 so why is he always been played in shorter format while even in doemstic games he is two times a better performer in longer format. Why waste his talent and India's time by playing him in t-20 and odi's while he clearly has the record and talent for Test matches.

I blame Captain equal with selectors now as we all know that he is the apple of the eye of the BCCI president hence he wields full power over who stays or leaves.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 13:03 GMT)

@Ravi Narala what the speciality Badrinath should replace Sachin!!! mast be joking....like badrinath replaces VVS when srikanth was selecter. commen we are not playing for Tamil nadu. playing for India. We have enough talent ahead of him like Rahane,Raidu,manoj etc...

Posted by Pubstar on (December 15, 2012, 12:48 GMT)

i wonder why u guys always miss out sehwag in dis sacking issue. he needs to be removed. he is not a test player at all. he doesnt score in 10 matches and scores 1 300 and maintains dat average. go chk out his overseas record, worse. i was really shocked wen he said u need patience in test cricket. in the whole world any one can speak about patience but not him. i still remember dis incident, where rahul played with all 10 players and again came to open in 2 nd innings with sehwag. with dat legend fighting it out so greatly and PATIENTLY, atkeast considering the situation(follow on)he shud have been patient but he didnt, he started swinging h is bat from 2nd ball.worse ever. he s totally unworthy player

Posted by jimbond on (December 15, 2012, 12:37 GMT)

Hope indian selectors dare to choose the following 11 for the next series. Unmukt Chand, Rahane, Pujara, Kohli, Rayudu, Rohit, Saha/Smit-patel/Naman-Ojha, Rishi Dhawan/Bhubaneswar Kumar/Irfan Pathan, Jadeja/Ojha, Ashwin/Jalaj Saxena, Umesh Yadav

Also keep people like Manoj Tiwary, Mandeep Singh, Jiwanjot, Awana, Sreesanth, Harmeet, in reserve so that in case of injury or bad form of the others, they can be be easily replaced.

Posted by CivilGaurav on (December 15, 2012, 12:20 GMT)

Rahane, Rohit, Tiwary and Badrinath - all of them average around 60 in first class cricket. While Yuvraj and Raina average in the early forties. These two are very good one day players and on basis of that have been given chances galore in Tests but have failed. Should'nt it be logical then to now give chances to the first four? Atleast the success of Pujara should have made the selectors realize that by now. Its quite likely that out of these four two will be successful at Test level. ODI should not be the only parameter for selection in the Test team. If the quality of first class is so poor that even those who average around 60 do not give the selectors and captain the confidence to play them in tests , then it is high time that first class cricket is made obselete.

Posted by khajsingpungipur on (December 15, 2012, 11:45 GMT)

Dear Rahane, Your problem is your impressive record. I am afraid that you will cement your place in the eleven if given a few chances. That will affect my chances to dole out test matches to my favourites.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 11:18 GMT)

This is not only his case, what happened to Subramaniam Badrinath, what mistake he has done,how long Tiwary is warming the bench in One Days, MSD always treat new inclusions(if it is not his recommendation) as a drinks carrier, he never give chance to them. The Indian Coach, I don't know what he is doing? Selectors are afraid the man behind MSD, his IPL Chief...the saga goes on...the loss is for Indian Cricket Lovers....

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 11:18 GMT)

@Anand Nandakumar - You spoke my mind. Rahane should replace Gambhir, Badri for Sachin

Posted by D.Bagherwal on (December 15, 2012, 11:02 GMT)

My team for upcoming test series with Austailia- 1.gambhir(C), 2.rahane, 3.Pujara, 4.sehwag, 5.virat(VC), 6.tewari/kaif, 7.dhoni/saha, 8.ashwin, 9.yadav, 10.ojha, 11.dinda/pankaj singh.

Posted by meenakshisaran on (December 15, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

Dear all keep in mind what Amarnath says while reading about Rahane

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

I think Rahane deserves a test Debut urgently. it shouldnt be like Wasim Jaffer who was not given a chance in his early career and made debut for India very late. You need to give batsman a chance when he is in form.We have given Yuvraj and Raina lot of chances. They shoudn't be playing Test cricket anymore. Rohit Sharma deserves a place too. He has the technique and temparament.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 10:39 GMT)

Ajinkya has done his what he can and deserve his place in this test side of india. Totally agreeand don't understand why Jadeja is in the team. Scoring two triple centuries that too at Rajkot ..Rajkot-- Flat wicket,Short Boundaries that is Rajkot for you and we all know how good we are when it comes to bowling. So, if Jadeja scores a century that doesn't mean he deserve a place in test side that too ahead of Rahane. Hope, selectors will do something for the betterment of indian cricket instead of filling their pockets.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 10:25 GMT)

dont replace dhoni as a player.

Posted by Game_Gazer on (December 15, 2012, 10:18 GMT)

@Wishwaajeet Singh, what a stupid comment ! #1 S.Badrinath, one of the most deserving "CSK & southern" player is being consistently given a raw deal @test level ! #2 R.Jadeja came into the XI due to the merit and due to what he brings to the balance of the team... #3 Ajinkya too deserved a place in the XI by merit...but unfortunately Tendulkar, his "Mumbai" mate, is eating his place... #4 Gautham Gambhir, who is yet to score a test century in ~ 3 years should have been replaced by Ajinkya #5 and don't bring Chawla to the issue, he is in the XI because the think-tank believed having 4 spinners might help...Go figure !

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 9:51 GMT)

Hello! Badrinath here. Is anyone in Indian cricket or the media listening?

I debuted in first class cricket in 2000/01. Over 12 years, I have averaged 60.17, which is just below Rahane. But of course, Rahane has only played for 5 years. It is also way above Rohit Sharma, Tiwary, Yuvraj and Raina.

I have been thinking of playing for India ever since Ganguly dada retired. They call me run hungry - they call me test match material. But so far, I have only got 3 test innings, 6 ODIs and 1 T20I to play. In my first ODI, on a crumbling pitch, I helped our captain win the game. In my only T20I, I won the Man of the match. In my first test innings, against an attack led by Dale Steyn, when the entire team crumbled for 233, I made 56. They say I am 30+, but at CSK, I am rated one of the fittest, and my fielding is as good as Raina's.

btw, I just made 192 in my last Ranji match, which incidentally, was played in Nagpur.

I guess noone's listening - not even God.

Well! Bye then :(

Posted by Ash_vet on (December 15, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

Clearly Sachin is eating this young mans place in the team...

Posted by Paz22 on (December 15, 2012, 9:47 GMT)

Great article! Ajinkya Rahane i feel for you :(

Posted by o-bomb on (December 15, 2012, 9:38 GMT)

His case is certainly a baffling one. I'm sure I'm not alone in being surprised he hasn't played against us in this series. He needs to be given a chance.

Posted by Suman_Star on (December 15, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

Dhoni only wants his yes men to be in Team so enter - Sir Jaddu (triple centurion), Murali Vijay (CSK Team Mate), i dunno who has got Chawla's back.... Rahane is being treated in the same manner in Test as Tiwary in One dayers..poor guy gets a hundred and then is dropped for 15 odd games..but then some wise soul will say "It's all part of strategy"...

Posted by dylland on (December 15, 2012, 9:16 GMT)

Really good article, the power of runs Rahane is getting must surely put him at the top of the que. Blokes better then running drinks to ailing fossils.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 9:11 GMT)

Nice article. Rohit Sharma did well in the recent 20-20 and he & Rahane are most deserving, far more than Yuvraj, Raina and Murali Vijay, all of whom who have repeatedly failed at test cricket. Sehwag & SRT should now be replaced by Rahane & Rohit Sharma, both of whom average over 60 in first class cricket.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 9:04 GMT)

When Rahane got picked for the Indian side, my father, Shirish Paranjape had said.. "the talent has got him upto here, now the politics start"

Posted by BrianCharlesVivek on (December 15, 2012, 9:02 GMT)

Sidharth Monga whines like any average Indian fan does..Rahane can wait? he is barely 23 or 24..he will get his chance...Think of Badrinath??

Posted by PPL11 on (December 15, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

Some over smart gentlemen here arguing for Tendulkar's retierment and bring on Rahane, to be honest i would love to see rahane get the chance i am fan of him but people dont understand when a team is in transition phase you just can not replace every experienced player with young talent, So i think this squad is perfect i think another year and then Sachin, Sehwag can make place for likes of Rahane and Tiwari, in meanwhile we can see Kohli and Pujara can sattle down.... Guys cricket is not all about youth and talent, experience too play its role, grow up guys

Posted by BeatTheChamps on (December 15, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

I suppose the only reason why Rahane is not playing is that he's considered to be a direct replacement for SRT (which is actually not fair to him). Now he can take that as a compliment and wait until the time comes. I really hope he'll be playing against Australia in place of SRT. Pujara, Rahane, Kohli : all 24-25 year olds. sounds like a perfect middle order for future!

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 8:49 GMT)

poor lad.he surely deserves a chance.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

Rahane capable of playing at any position.but it is unfortunate.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 8:28 GMT)

Bang on target !! But I feel Badri's story is even more heart wrenching !! Why don't you take that up as well..

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 8:23 GMT)

Viru not showing 100 %, Gambhir is fumbling to even middle the bowl, Is Virat really serious other than his face? How many days Viru will play test cricket? I doubt... why are we holding back these young guns who can serve our county in coming days... Sachin himself has set the high benchmarks for him and he is now struggling to meet them.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

Time for Tendulkar to hang his boots and retire from a glorious career. The more he stays, the more will people forget the past and curse him.

Posted by vrn59 on (December 15, 2012, 7:34 GMT)

This is a fantastic article. Both Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma are natural long-form batsmen, yet they have not been tried in the Test team yet, and are randomly shifted in and out of the ODI and T20 sides. I believe that Gambhir should be dropped if he keeps failing the way he has (I'd still persist with Sehwag for a while, simply because of his x-factor) and be replaced by Rahane. Sharma should debut at No. 4 after Tendulkar's retirement, or even at No. 6 until then since all the other contenders for that spot have failed. Jadeja could be given an extended run at No. 6. If he succeeds as a true Test all-rounder, it will be a huge boon for the Indian Test side. Otherwise Tiwary deserves a chance. I'd still keep Dhoni at No. 7, though maybe not as a captain in the long run. My Indian Test XI: Sehwag, Rahane, Pujara, Sharma, Kohli, Jadeja / Tiwary, Dhoni (W), Ashwin, Ojha, Zaheer (if he's fit and performing), Yadav

Posted by gnshah on (December 15, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

I don't understand why he is not being picked up for test team. SRT is being very selfish. despite continous failures, he is not even thinking or retiring. i think it's high time BCCI sit and talk with him and tell him to retire so youngsters like rahane gets a well deserve chance in test and ODI. BCCI gave many chances to rohit sharma, yuvraj singh, raina. They all deserve those chances so why not give chance to rahane. He is consistenly performed in domestic cricket. it's high time he gets chance instead SRT

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

he might have been in had he played for CSK :D

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

manoj tiwary deserves a grtr chance than rahane....

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Rahane will get the chance only when SRT retires. That is the position for you. Until then you have to wait dear.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 6:51 GMT)

Incredible, a steady head as Rahane isn't even given opportunities. Most seniors surely aren't performing and while Kohli is a good bet in the longer-term, am sure if he isn't scoring great, he too can sit for a match. Why is resting for a match so hurtful in Indian cricket?

Posted by TRAM on (December 15, 2012, 6:46 GMT)

People who bash CSK are not really correct. It is not about if a player is from CSK or not. The player should get in to Dhoni's good books. People who cant speak Hindi (I think that is Badri's problem - I may be wrong) can not become Dhoni's friend. People who are wicketkeeper+batsman - forget it, you cant be Dhoni's friend. I am saying the above because Dhoni systematically destroyed Badri's career even within CSK. In any other team Badri would be number 3 or 4 batsman. In CSK, Dhoni always sent Badri only in bowler-friendly condition/situation or he will be the last recognized batsman at the fag end of the innings. Even in the only 2nd & last test match that Badri played, when SA took new ball in the fading light at the end of day (only 2 overs remained for the day), Dhoni sent in Badri instead of sending a night-watchman. While selectors ignored Badri, Dhoni systematically pushed Raina instaed of Badri both in IPL as well as in national side. So it is not about CSK. Its all Dhoni.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 6:27 GMT)

It is really hard luck for Rahane...I wish Sachin reads this and prompts him to retire. This is just pathetic.

Posted by superglued on (December 15, 2012, 6:25 GMT)

Good wirte up Sid, hope the selectors realize their mistake and make amends before Rahane's career is ruined. Let us all support Rahane by posting the most number of comments ever recorded on this site....

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 6:24 GMT)

what a joke!!!! the eleven r not performing n u will feel like ok others will perform like rahane,whats guarantee for that ,he was already given some chances as well,n will be given but on likes of sehwag/sachin,ohhh crap i hv seen rahane!!!!! in one/two matches he can perform but not enough to replace these batsmen,he is a useful batsman but if kohli/pujara are not performing whats's sure that he will perform...

Posted by forsurf99 on (December 15, 2012, 6:22 GMT)

Million thanks to Sidharth for speaking Ajinkya's mind. The BCCI is as numb as indian politicians are. Utterly hopeless. The response - "I will let my bat speak" - is applicable only to SRT. That's why his huge score of 2 still works in his favor and he keeps playing. Hey, he is SRT, not Ricky Ponting.

Who in the selection committee thinks that anyone else's bat really speaks, hmm ?

Posted by SriUSA on (December 15, 2012, 6:19 GMT)

@Wishvajeet Singh - what do you mean? Playing for southern teams? How many players do you see from south in the team? By the way whoever came from south performed wonderfully for India in the past decade or so. Here are the examples - VVS, Dravid, Kumble, Srinath and so on. Whoever did not perform are gone from south. But players like gambhir and yuvraj just stay in the team without much contribution in test cricket and are called again and again. Sorry but You made me write this.I feel I aman Indian not a South Indian otherwise.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 6:09 GMT)

Feel for Rahane and Manoj Tiwary,they both have worked hard enough to deserve a place in test and one day atleast for five games respectively....In India, decisions are mostly take on emotions and reputation. Don't know from which angle Ravindra jadeja looks a test player.....As they say, justice delayed is justice denied, same thing goes here. If u don't give someone a chance when he deserves the most and has performed enough, he or she might get disheartned and it may lead to his or her downfall... Sachin please retire

Posted by dmqi on (December 15, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

Everybody knows Tendulkar should make room for this guy except Tendulkar himself and his backer, the selection team. That's the way Indian cricket goes. Feel sorry for the young man. But wait a minute, after this series defeat may be good sense will prevail. Tendulkar and Shewag's time is over in Test cricket. Follow Ponting, please.

Posted by akbarbirbal007 on (December 15, 2012, 6:02 GMT)

he should replace jadeja who wont do much in test cricket..vich we will see soon

Posted by caught_knott_bowled_old on (December 15, 2012, 5:50 GMT)

Dear Ajinkya Rahane, this is the Indian Public. We hear you, but unfortunately, we're an emotional, sentimental and often illogical bunch of people. A bunch of us strongly feel that Tendulkar should be allowed to decide when he wants to step down. Another group of us feels that Yuvraj Singh should be included in the Test side because of he overcame his health problems and it makes for an emotional return. There are others who feel that having won the IPL for KKR is reason enough to justify Gambhir's selection in the Test team even though he keeps giving catching practice to the slip fielders. BTW, if you're feeling miserable and need some company, please call Badrinath. He'll empathize with you.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 5:47 GMT)

Rahane is not getting the chance because of the selfish players like Sachin, he should retire now, when laxman who is in form retired before the test's against New Zealand, for giving chance to the Young player's,, why not Sachin?????????

what else he need , he is the world's Best batsmen, Scored the most number of runs than any other,,,, why he still wants to play, he can retire from cricket and give the chances to young, so that they can prove them self's to make INDIA as the KING of CRICKET......

Posted by nyc_missile on (December 15, 2012, 5:46 GMT)

Replace Rahane with Rohit & Tiwary and we would have not too dissimilar a story for them too! awesome piece with a touch of poignancy to it!

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 5:29 GMT)

This is all high quality management mindset whether it is BCCI, UPA, or Indian Software Consultancy company who try to pretend smart and innovative but truth is something else.

Posted by karlapu on (December 15, 2012, 5:17 GMT)

SRT has nothing to do with Rahane... i think its MSD who wants 'his team'... kohli, jadeja, raina, murali vijay... even if SRT retires, MSD will fill his position with Raina not with Rahane. If sehwag is sacked, Murali vijay will take that position.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 5:16 GMT)

It makes me feel even sadder for Badrinath who is one of the best test players in India and may never get to play for India again. Truly sad!!!!!

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (December 15, 2012, 5:07 GMT)

Why can't our selectors drop SRT and Viru and play Rahane and Badri?? I am sure Rahane and Badri can score more than the total of 2 runs those 2 perennial non-performers scored in Nagpur test.

Posted by Arun14 on (December 15, 2012, 4:48 GMT)

According to BCCI team seclection code 102.1.3.2, unless you belong to a certain very popular franchise or good buddies with the skipper, you can only be selected to the team if a player in the Test XI from your own first-class team is left out or decides to leave voluntarily. Hence Rahane's chance will come when Tendulkar goes. It could have come when Zaheer went too but then see, that debutant with the afro... what club does he play for? Rahane might have to wait until next month or next decade.. who knows what plans God has for him.

Posted by starincricket on (December 15, 2012, 4:36 GMT)

hey.. hello .. murali vijay is also in squad... any one listening him also?? and he has expereience in test who avg's more than 30..!!

Posted by cricfave on (December 15, 2012, 4:25 GMT)

Nice articles from Monga in the recent past and especially this one. There should be some kind of a queue system for selection so that (in normal circumstances) the reserves are not shunted out without given adequate opportunities to play. Jadeja, for instance, jumped the line thanks to the selectors and hope he delivers otherwise we are not being fair to the likes of Rahane, Tiwary, Badrinath, Rohit Sharma (for tests) and others.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 4:24 GMT)

People find this point of view very orthodox "TENDULKAR HAS TO GO", specially when he is performing like this. Trust me when we say he has to go we actually mean it. His time's up, and the biggest symptom is the way he is being dismissed. He's just warming up the seat of a more deserving batsman (more deserving in context of current form). No one knows what he's thinking, but he got to think for his team and if he is thinking that he doesn't want to end his career at this much low, in that case sorry but I think with his age his thinking capability has undergone corrosion.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 4:04 GMT)

After the world cup win MSD and his team mates are thinking like then can play for team India as long as they want, or they can decide who will play for the country and what can be done to abandon the careers of young talents which could come in their way!

Why we haven't tried any wicket keeper batsman in the T20 or ODIs ? Because that could be the End of Mr MSD and he doesnt want players like Robin Uttappa or Bisla to play in India side because they can bat and do wicket keeping! Dhoni will only pick Saha as his replacement and he can be so safe while Saha is in the side because poor guy cant bat at all. Shame on BCCI and the selection panel who doesn't have the guts to replace the Chennai domination.

If it goes for the same way for few another matches you can see the India crowd reacting and MSD you are clever but please note that there are also other people with brain around.

why not Manoj Tiwari? Rahana ? Bisla ? Uttappa ? Pankaj Singh!

You must be answerable one day Mr MSD.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 3:55 GMT)

We feel very sorry of this young man. This is due to other senior selfish players like Tendulkar who are not performing and do not want to call it a day. Hope he will not be treated like Badrinath.Time has come to revamp the team

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 3:54 GMT)

You have done one thing wrong dear Rahane. You neither play or CSK nor for any southern side.

Posted by Achyut_Bal on (December 15, 2012, 3:50 GMT)

BCCI should outsource its team - just like England did from SA.

Posted by rshanx on (December 15, 2012, 3:47 GMT)

Nice article Ajinkya. Some called Sidharth Monga shows up as the author. Please check it out.

Posted by ramli on (December 15, 2012, 3:36 GMT)

Unlucky to the core ... Rahane is considered as a middle order batsman for tests .. opening batsman for ODIs ... not considered for T20 ... well ... until SRT hangs his boots Rahane cannot think of ODIs ... his best chance is only in tests ... because ... there will be a string of failures there every time India plays ... so good luck to you

Posted by nyc_missile on (December 15, 2012, 3:34 GMT)

I don't know what Assistant Editor means in terms of hierarchy but this man Sid if he isn't already must be given a much bigger TITLE.Brilliant,poignant,sarcastic and forthright piece! Enjoyed reading it,not sure about Rahane though.This man has sadly fallen prey to the dirty politics of the cabal which snuffs out any competition to its CSK players.I have always believed that this lot : Pujara,Kohli,Rahane,Rohit & Tiwary must and will (eventually)form the batting core of Ind test team.Wont be surprised if Unmukt also comes in there sometime.Just sincerely hope that they do NOT lose focus,hunger &fitness in the interim,their time will come..esp now that the real culprit Dhoni is on his way out soon.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 3:07 GMT)

Really feel sorry for the lad. Hope SRT reads this article, Rahane cannot tell this himself anyway!!!

Posted by indianfan535 on (December 15, 2012, 2:48 GMT)

Oh man Siddarth, you're killing me! Someone please send the link to gautam gambhir and sachin tendulkar. Maybe that'll make them open their eyes

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 2:28 GMT)

What a superb article??? Way too good!!! Very true about Indian Cricket!! And Whole team is not performing!!! Wrong to blame one person.... I feel Selectors Should act like butcher now!!! They should Axe Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kholi, Dhoni and Ashwin as they re not fit for tests!!! A brand new team With M Vijay. Rahne, Pujara, Badri, Rohit, Saha,Tiwary Ojha, Chawla, Aron, Yadav. Dinda being only in tests!!!! They present team is Fit only for limited overs. they go for every ball and Art of test cricket is to leave the ball and play only the best ball. I wish Dravid showers his experience!!!1

Posted by AvidCricFan on (December 15, 2012, 2:15 GMT)

Rahane is done by the likes of SRT who are hanging on past their self life. Also, Viru is all fair weather bully who will hardly fire on a sporty pitch. He is purely a flat track bully. We have seen that in the last three years. Its good to see Bhajji, Zaheer and Yuvi dropped from the test team. There is a need to drop SRT, Dhoni and Viru also.

Posted by Sano27 on (December 15, 2012, 2:14 GMT)

Rahane is one of the future prospects of the Indian cricket team & i'm quite sure that he has to play huge role in the test side.....His time 'll come very soon....!

Posted by Dhanvanth on (December 15, 2012, 2:06 GMT)

In the present Indian test squad, except kohli and pujara and ojha, ashwin, no others place is justified! Sehwag is too flimsy; gambhir throws his wicket away; sachin is ageing; dhoni is unfit for tests; so if bcci is strong enough to remove these players then India can dream of something big

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 2:04 GMT)

The only mistake you did was......you were not a part of CSK team.

Posted by Dhanvanth on (December 15, 2012, 1:57 GMT)

I am really fed up of commenting on these issues! Only pity them for not getting a chance! Hope bcci turns over a new leaf...they should really see how Australian and south African boards work!

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 1:54 GMT)

Too good, He will go like Shivalkar, Diwakar Vasu many more before him... Hypocrites!!

Posted by Makkumatr on (December 15, 2012, 1:45 GMT)

This is when you realize the huge disservice people who are too old to play competitive cricket like Sachin are doing to Indian cricket. You always hear him say 'I will play till I have the passion'. Not, till I play well. Even 60 yr-olds have a lot of passion towards the game, will it be okay to field them in a team? SRT is spoiling his legacy with his selfishness at this point. Sad but true.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 1:29 GMT)

Rahane, Tiwary and Saha should be picked ASAP, with Unmukt Chand in the reckoning for the near future. I'd drop Gambhir, Dhoni, with tendulkar retiring soon..

Posted by the_blue_android on (December 15, 2012, 1:17 GMT)

Hello. My name is Sachin Tendulkar. I've scored the most runs in test cricket even though I have not been able to play a single knock of any consequence in the last 24 months. I'm 40 years old and everyone's saying I need to retire. But I ask them why? Since I still have passion for the game and I enjoy it. Of course I'll enjoy the game. What about all the youngsters waiting for a chance? Not my problem!

Posted by SanjivAwesome on (December 15, 2012, 1:02 GMT)

You will never be selected to play tests for India. Tendulkar, Sehwag and Gambhir will play for another 138 years. Then there is Mr Srinivasan's great grand father to come before you. Have you considred a career in a Circus - you can be ringmaster and let others be clowns.

Posted by JyothiRaj on (December 15, 2012, 1:00 GMT)

Tendulkar fails no one replaces.No one got guts.Persist with youngsters.it takes time atleast 20 games for them to become masters like Dravid laxman.Teach them how to play tests,the mindset and techniques and shot selection.It will be good if you get 100 from 300 balls than 30from 30balls bcz the hundred makes sure that your team will not loose

Posted by wolf777 on (December 15, 2012, 0:39 GMT)

Hey, wasn't your name Manoj Tiwari few months ago? and Badrinath before?

Posted by Siddharth_zenox on (December 15, 2012, 0:38 GMT)

lol very well written article ! i just feel so bad for this kid... what is the output we get from this disaster period of indian cricket ? that we dont have skill or talent ? NO.. we have a lousy management who manage these skills and talents !

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 0:30 GMT)

Tendulkar, I was your ardent fan until the world cup; I wanted you to retire right after, but then I understood that a century of centuries would be too hard to resist and would make us, Indians, very proud. When you achieved that, I was so happy; read all articles about you; went through your statistics over and over and proudly cherished you.. But now, even when you scored that 76, I am hating you; your time is over. You have to give way to the Rahanes and Rohits. Please retire. The longer you keep playing, the more I will be hating you; and I am sure I am not the lone Indian feeling that way.

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 0:12 GMT)

smashing !!!!! thats how to write, thats how u send a message

Posted by   on (December 15, 2012, 0:07 GMT)

Some very interesting points, but the whole first-person writing style is rather awkward to read... just my opinion.

Posted by DavidWhoKnows on (December 15, 2012, 0:03 GMT)

Sachin is clearly a great batsman, and demands respect, but that does not mean that he can continue to retain his place indefinitely to the detriment of the team. It was clear on the first day that the introduction of two younger players transformed the performance of the Indian team in the field. Sachin is a marginal presence in the field. Even if he might still score more runs than any replacement (and that is questionable), he is clearly coming to the end of his playing career and cannot be the future of Indian cricket. For his own sake he needs to leave in a dignificed fashion, and all common sense would suggest that has to be at the end of the current test.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 23:52 GMT)

I think once Tendulakar retires , Mr Rahene could be in to the final 11

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 23:42 GMT)

Execllent article Mr Monga. You missed one point I think. Probably at the end. '' Next IPL, I will try the Chennai Super Kings team, may be then Dhoni and Sreenivasan would understand my game."

Posted by kadampan on (December 14, 2012, 23:41 GMT)

May be next Badrinath in the making.

Posted by dock_haul on (December 14, 2012, 23:33 GMT)

sorry but for you to be a part of Indian batting line up you will have to wait for 4-5 years more , by then , mr.Tendulkar will hang his shoes , mr . Sehwag will fail so much that selectors will finally be forced to drop him , mr. Dhoni will run out of his csk teammates to replace retiring or injured players from team India , and finally there will be some one sensible running BCCI and giving selectors free hand to select team on merit , only than you can hope against hope to be selected. till than , well , keep playing ranjhi trophy and keep piling runs , and when you might have scored 30,000 first class runs you will be considered right choice to be a part of the team

Posted by amit.80s on (December 14, 2012, 23:31 GMT)

Rahane, Tiwary and Rohit still got some life left in them but what about Badri who's career is almost over waiting on the the doorstep. I hope thease guys get a chance sooner then later.

Posted by Moppa on (December 14, 2012, 23:07 GMT)

That's the strange thing about India's persistence with the chronically failing Gambhir - they have ready-made replacements, particularly Rahane

Posted by Reverse_Bat on (December 14, 2012, 22:32 GMT)

Very Good article, it was touching, my heart goes out for Rahane. Indian team need a clean-up from top to bottom. Selectors should built a whole new Indian test team, with Kohli being captaining the side. Rahne,Tiwary, Pujara,Jadeja,Saha(keeper)Ashwin,Ojha,Yadav,Ishant,Aaron,Sreesanth(good swing bowler).This team might struggle for some time, but I am sure this will be the future test players. Sandeep Patil give a TRY!!

Posted by samincolumbia on (December 14, 2012, 22:01 GMT)

I am not sure if he is such a good batsman that he is hyped up to be. From what little he did when he was given a chance, he was far from impressive. Tiwary would have been ideal, but he seems to have injured the day the selectors were looking to replace the decrepit Indian batting lineup.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 21:59 GMT)

Very good article Mr.Monga.Chances should to Ajinkya Rahane,Rohit Sharma(Ian Chappell's choice) & Manoj Tiwary in test matches. The new Indian team should be 1)Ajinkya Rahane 2)Murli Vijay 3)Cheteshwar Pujara 4)Rohit Sharma 5)Manoj Tiwary 6)Abhishek Nayer/Ravindra Jadeja(Allrounder is must-A change fifth bowler)7)Mahendersingh Dhoni 8)Ravichandran Ashwin 9)Ishant Sharma(If fit)10)Umesh Yadav 11)Pragyan Ojha12)Dinda.India is loosing because 1)Playing with four bowlers,2)Failure of openers,3)Failure of middle order.Test cricket is always played with two openrs,three middle order batsman(one of them a change bowler).one allrounder,one wicketkeeper batsman.three fast bowlers and one spinner / two fast bowlers and two spinners/one fast bowler and three spinners.In past India played with 1)Solkar,Abidali,Bedi,Chandra & Prasanna,2)Kapildev,Binny,Shastri,Yadav & Sivaramkrishnan,3)Prabhakar,Srinath,Kumble,Chauhan & Raju.India is continuously loosing because of improper team composition.

Posted by miyabhaifromhyderabad on (December 14, 2012, 21:57 GMT)

Great Writing....dont worry mate...u will get ur chance...be patient and keep scoring runs!!

Posted by srriaj317 on (December 14, 2012, 21:56 GMT)

@SamuelH: If we want to compare Ranji Trophy performances with other FC performances around the world, some statistical adjustments are necessary. An average of 60 in Ranji might correspond to an average of 45 in Shield cricket probably. A Ranji average of 50 might be akin to averaging 35 - 40 in Shield. I am sure percentiles would be a better measure to remove this bias. All the same, Rahane is still a fine player.

Posted by cricket2Monkey on (December 14, 2012, 21:53 GMT)

Where the heck is Rahul sharma? Is he officially suspended because of the doping scandal.

Posted by moBlue on (December 14, 2012, 21:49 GMT)

yes, rahane should open in place of gambhir...

don't none of you mention sachin's name!!! he failed in 6 tests, period, and then scored 76 and 3, and now 1. but he is done only when he thinks he is done!!! this is the greatest batter who ever played for IND and i still have not forgotten that he carried IND's water - and cricketing honor - all by himself throughout the nineties, so I say he deserves to be given the leeway to decide when he wants to retire after - unlike a raina or a yuvraj or a gambhir! - he has failed only in 6 tests before the 76 he scored in the last test...

but to the point of this article, rahane should have long ago opened for IND!!! however, rohit in the middle order? not so fast! the dude likely lacks the temperament for test cricket, given the ample opportunities he has wasted in the ODIs.

Posted by InnocentGuy on (December 14, 2012, 21:35 GMT)

Another Badrinath in the making, from the looks of it.

Posted by xylo on (December 14, 2012, 21:11 GMT)

Hello, my name is Badrinath, and I have been a domestic run machine. When I did get a chance to play in tests for India, I scored 50+ against a red hot Dale Steyn in a sporting pitch. The selectors rewarded me by dropping, and when I managed to adapt to the circus that is the IPL, they decided that I was good enough to be in a second-choice ODI side that toured the West Indies. Being a test player in the mould of Dravid, I could not quickly adapt to the ODI format. I was dropped from the side, and I still continue making a ton of runs in the domestic side. I am continuously overlooked. I do get a lot of sadistic joy when I watch the likes of Sehwag, Sachin, Raina, Yuvraj, Rohit and Jadeja(oh the pain) play like novices on batsmen-friendly pitches. Will the selectors ever get me and the poor kid Rahane in the test XI?

Posted by Alexk400 on (December 14, 2012, 21:09 GMT)

There is a long line of players who has been disenfranchised by BCCI and selectors whims. I always critical but i think sid did very good in that he brought light of one of those forgotten players. We need someone to write about forgotten people(players). :) . I always wondered why we indians pick unathletic players in sports? For me athletes are forgotten people in Indian society. We never clamour for athletes. We just be content with what ever we have been presented with by BCCI greedy administrators/politicians . I think pankaj singh also forgotten bowler. I think every player going to have ups and downs. It is nature of balance (ying/Yang). What we need to find though find people who has less downs and high ups. Why we keep forgetting players when they are at peak and give one or two matches when they lost all hopes just for the sake of giving chance?. I think we need to have 2 slots for under 22 player in indian team. (QUOTA!) . Anyone ignore young at their own peril

Posted by KishoreSharma on (December 14, 2012, 21:08 GMT)

Good article. I especially agree with the point that Rohit Sharma has only been given chances in ODIs and his performance here is being used to deem him unsuitable for tests. India have been failing to properly distinguish between ODI and test performances since the 1990s, to the detriment of their team selection. For example, Praveen Amre's test career was finished due to patchy ODI performances. Our selectors and, sad to say, many fans, have limited analytical grasp of the game of cricket.

Posted by CRICKETPOWER001 on (December 14, 2012, 21:02 GMT)

I felt really bad when Rahane was not picked up for T20 World Cup also... he scored heavily in IPL this season and still lost to Rohit Sharma in World T20... i dont know y selectors became so blind... and y dhoni not taking any aggressive decision .. we know we have good talents but its board duty to place them at right places... Rahane deserve chance in all formats before he loose his confidence ...

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 21:00 GMT)

The selectors already picked Rahane in the squad. The playing eleven is selected by the captain and team think-tank. They would be observing the players in the nets. Jadejs's bowling is very impressive. He would be useful bowler even outside the sub-continent. While frontline bowlers were giving 1-2 loose deliveries each over, Jadeja gave only couple of loose deliveries the entire innings. He also maintains his intensity in the field like Raina. Raina played good on tough wickets in WI. Rohit always struggled against quality bowling. Maybe, Badrinath is unlucky to not be in the squad.

Posted by IndiaPrevails on (December 14, 2012, 20:57 GMT)

My heartfelt sympathies are with you Ajinkya. But reality of the situation is that you may never get your chance and if you do it may be a little two late. Your story is not isolated and there have been victims before as well of the politics which is always rife in the Indian team management, selection process and the board itself. Our country is a land of hero worshippers, psychophants and nepotism and bribery is prevalent everywhere. So much so that even a humiliating test defeat at home is not going to bring any change to the way things function in Indian cricket. Ignorance is really bliss if you are a cricket or a sports fan in general in India. Hoping against hope that you may get your chance to prove your worth in test cricket.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:52 GMT)

Our God has occuipied the number 4 place for years... He has sacrificed his 25 years for cricket..Now the team and players whould sacrifice by playing him 11 untill he gets old..

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:51 GMT)

how can rahane be picked?CSK has produced best cricketers in country like raina,ashwin,jadeja you know.....rahane is from RR so he cant be picked.you have to go to CSK.then only you will be picked otherwise face the consequences

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

Hmm... I feel Rahane and other unnoticed and undervalued talents should just stop completely playing for India and move to other countries like England or any other country that values their talent (like what KP did..). No emotions here... poor guys are just waiting. Remember what Justice Katju said... 90% of indians are idiots... so true. Tendulkar got picked up early and was given ample time to prove himself. We Indians are just stuck to that guy and elevated him to god status. Is that necessary? He is just like any other player..well a damn good one. But there are others.. and they should get a chance to prove their talent too. Feels so sick.... when some of us think just making a remark on Tendulkar as a blasphemy. Even players like Gavaskar are behaving this way. But, why are these jokers (Tendulkar, Dhoni... and other impatient players) still playing test cricket? Do they have any self respect commensurate with the clout and status they carry around.

Posted by Stylechan on (December 14, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

One day after this guy becomes a Test Legend, I ll be reading this article again.

Posted by timms on (December 14, 2012, 20:40 GMT)

I think Rahane has the backing of an entire nation but the selectors. He is technically very sound and has been a protege of the great Rahul Dravid playing for Royals. He is an exciting young prospect. I hope the dirty politics of Indian cricket selection does not take its toll on a promising player, whom I would say is the correct replacement for Dravid. Pujara can replace Lakshman at No 6.

Posted by real26_03 on (December 14, 2012, 20:29 GMT)

Excellent article!! Seriously I feel pity for Rahane.. And like others I would love to read an article on Manoj Twary..

Posted by GAKUMAR77 on (December 14, 2012, 20:29 GMT)

Very good Article Monga! One day we will defenetly see the middle order like Pujara, Rahane, Tiwary & Kohli in the test side soonly . why don't we try these guys in Australia series since there is nothing to lose as we already had left/rght slaps by England team. We can try Unmukt chand as an opener for our future.

Posted by maheemanga on (December 14, 2012, 20:25 GMT)

very well written Monga!!!..It wud be better if they cud pick Rahane and play 3 spinners including jadeja.

Posted by vpk23 on (December 14, 2012, 20:24 GMT)

Hi Ajinkya hang on there man..Both you and Tiwary will be in the team soon. Let this mess get cleand up. Better to enter in a sanitzed dressing room than in this situtation. Cheers!! Count yourself lucky that you are not part of this Crap.

Posted by GAKUMAR77 on (December 14, 2012, 20:22 GMT)

Rahane, I want you to be selected for the complete series , not for one test. So whatever happens is the best. Yours time come soonly and you would be selected for either opener/middle order and I am sure that you will debut in Australia series. All the best and be patient..don't lose your temperment and you wiill show that run flow in the australia series... and you will be selected for India vs pakistan series as well..

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:22 GMT)

Hey Rahane .. how u doin out there .. hope to see you in action soon buddy .. will catch up wid u later :)

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:21 GMT)

Truly Amazing Write up!! Too good Monga...too good!!

Posted by rocket123 on (December 14, 2012, 20:14 GMT)

When would SRT go home? Who would dare make a call on his departure if SRT does not do it himself? Goal: Play 200 Test matches; Score one hundred and a couple of fifties and reach 16K runs. Play against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe so India may have claim the record centuries, fifties, most tests played and runs scored. Most of the time, SRT in his career scored runs when none needed. Some commentators for the sake of money do not say a word but that shows that they are doing a disservice to the country and the game. Please there must be some resolution of the situation prior to the end of, or after, Nagpur Test. He is surely a great batsmen but time has come to draw curtains on a great career which thrilled cricket lovers for 2 decades. Time to tighten the rope.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 20:06 GMT)

Good article. Poor Ajinkya--my heart goes out to you. But how can you be picked when you are not playing for CSK? Didn't you see how Manoj Tiwary had to travel with the India team for 16-17 matches before playing an one-dayer for India? You make bad choices--you have to suffer the consequences.

Posted by Unmesh_cric on (December 14, 2012, 19:59 GMT)

Well said, Mr. Monga! There has been gross injustice to Ajinkya Rahane. Rahane is a "Made-for-Test-cricket" player, much like Pujara. But instead, ODI and T20 specialists like Raina, Jadeja and Yuvi get picked ahead of him. Give Rahane a chance. I say give Rohit Sharma a chance too. I am not talking about one-day or T20 cricket. These two guys are more suitable for Test cricket. Give them a long run in Tests. If India middle order reads: Pujara, Rahane, Kohli and Rohit Sharma, they will make India a formidable batting side once again in Tests.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:58 GMT)

Wonderful peek into Rahane brain and ways of Indian "stink tank" ;-)

We always pick the right people at the wrong time.

What has happened to this good Indian team, is the fear of failure no more in their minds? cos they feel they have enuff money from IPL or future TV contracts?

Yes, I still feel the individuals except Sachin (who is having serious unease and discomfort within him) are capable of playing decently and not so bad. Its just that there is no more the pride to keep one's place in the game.

Also mainly, Fletcher and the bowling coach dont seem to have any Woolmer type strategy that cud produce magic!

Posted by yasserrizwan on (December 14, 2012, 19:57 GMT)

Given how harsh it has been for this monstrously talented young man, My heart goes out for Rahane. People not cut out for test cricket(Yuvraj, Jadeja), players who have scant regard for their wickets(Yuvraj, Dhoni), who throw their wickets to ordinary deliveries(Sehwag, Kohli), who feel they are playing for galleries as if it's a 20 over outing like IPL(Kohli, Sehwag, Dhoni), players who are total under performers and take their slots in team for granted(our openers precisely) are given chances, some of them repeatedly and few genuine players, in this era of quick money minting IPL,want to play test cricket and are not given chance. What a disgrace this has been! Kris Srikkanth has done a major damage to Indian cricket establishment in his tenure as selector. As for Rahane, mate, dont waste your talent here. Play county in England, Marry a British and then play for England.Would love you to see scoring test hundreds against India in when India tour England next.We failed to value you.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:55 GMT)

Good Article. One more on Manoj Benched Tiwary will be much appreciated :-)

Posted by InsideHedge on (December 14, 2012, 19:52 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar should be embarrassed. At the end of the Australia tour, he should have been put on the same notice that was handed out to Laxman, but there's always been exceptions for SRT. Forget about him being dropped or voluntarily returning to FC cricket to sort out his obvious problems, his EGO is too great for him to even consider batting at #6, a position he should have reverted to several yrs ago. The major problem with him is that the man is simply DELUSIONAL, and the coaches as well as the selectors are sheer COWARDS. He actually thinks he deserves to be in the team, that he's the best player at #4, he sees no conflicts in being a current player *AND* being an MP, and he cannot see that he's been blocking the progress of youngsters for a good 2 seasons.

Further, in ODIs, he insists on opening. Same in T20s where his performances are cringe-worthy. I never thought he would be this bad in the ongoing Tests. Sad, why tarnish something in days what takes decades to build?

Posted by SDHM on (December 14, 2012, 19:51 GMT)

Not for one minute suggesting the likes of Rahane & Pujara aren't fine players - from what I saw of Rahane in England, he looked very good, & Pujara's taken to Test cricket just fine - but surely a domestic competition in which batsmen can average well over 60 over a decent length career to date has something wrong with it? If Rahane had grown up English or South African for example, there is no way his figures would be what they are. Again, that isn't to suggest he isn't capable of playing Test cricket at all, but just be careful about anointing young batsmen growing up on roads saviours for an ailing batting line-up.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:45 GMT)

absolutely correct...my heart goes out to this young lad..i m worried that when he will be given the chance finally, which may not be in near future, he might not able to grab it properly due to too much wait.

Posted by InsideHedge on (December 14, 2012, 19:43 GMT)

Pretty much what we, the fans, have been writing for years. No-one important is listening or reading. The 1st innings batting performance (so far) in Nagpur is one of the biggest embarrassments I've witnessed in close to 40 years of watching and analyzing Test cricket. Two of our heroes couldn't negotiate what were basically standard STRAIGHT deliveries. Meanwhile, a 21 year old rookie survived close to 300 deliveries on his debut. We, the fans, could see after the 1st over of the 1st day that the bounce was low and you needed to get onto the front foot. The truth is that several players are SPENT, they need to be dropped. They need not retire, but in order to return to the national team, they need to PROVE BOTH form AND fitness in first class cricket.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:42 GMT)

That is one of the best articles i have ever saw,completely depicting the sad tale of such a talented player who has been waiting for that white color jersey to represent his nation. No one can say that he wil surelyl perform well in the international circuit but he has been given not even a single chance where other players have got plenty of them even after their poor run. This waiting period can kill any good person's patience, build up frustration and a team can lose a player who could have performed well if utilized wisely. What needs to be changed in this test team is the top order,the middle order and the captain. Bowling has never been India's positive, so its just a hit and trial for anyone who will be coming up. India failed to develop munaf patel,praveen kumar,gony and many.

Posted by RazorMach on (December 14, 2012, 19:42 GMT)

I know, I know! If I were the Captain, Coach, or some decision maker for the team, I would drop Tendulkar and pick you (Rahane). It is that easy! Sometimes you need a little child's eyes to say that the 'emperor has no clothes'. Hopefully, someone will listen!

Posted by shiva89 on (December 14, 2012, 19:32 GMT)

ah! sad narration from rahane. india had a strong batting unit with gambhir n sehwag opening and 3 middle order pillars - dravid, sachin n vvs. 6th spot was unsettled but demanded a hard hitting finisher who could score fast. dhoni coming next meant it was the best batting unit of india ever. now with openers failing consistently n vvs n rahul gone, we r left with drowning sachin. if ind could give chances to fringe players like rahane, badri, tiwary n rohit. it could be a threat in test cricket again as they all r proper test material n just need exposure. my team after sachin's retirement: 1. gambhir 2. rahane 3. pujara 4. kohli 5. rohit 6. tiwary/badri/jadeja 7. dhoni/saha/karthik 8. ashwin 9. yadav 10. ishant 11. ojha. in this way they could have 3 proper spinners, 2 pacemen, rest batsmen (not to forget there could be allrounders too in d name of ashwin n jadeja).

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

wonderful article, Team selection is not so good, dhoni keep on trying to get his IPL boys on team, rahane does deserves a chance

Posted by gandhala on (December 14, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

Rahane,Tiwary,Rohit fighting for place. Virat can be dropped for sure let him prove it in Ranji and come back for test.

I am Mr Badri , I was not even considered for the squad :)

Posted by sanyam_kamat on (December 14, 2012, 19:24 GMT)

man this is awesomeeee!!!

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:23 GMT)

Excellent piece of work Sidharth!!! Just feel for the ill-fated Rahane but his chances are not too far away. I guess this is what is going through the grind means preparing him for the unexpected.

Hope he doesn't start thinking about left arm spin to make it into the test side.

Posted by US_Indian on (December 14, 2012, 19:21 GMT)

Wow- what a beautiful way of summing up the feelings of a talented guy who might be getting frustrated by now- dont lose heart just think about guys like Kaif, Badri, Dinesh Karthick, Uthappa, Rayudu and even jaffer and to a certain extent Mukund, Suryakumar Yadav, manish pandey etc. This all happens in the circus called BCCI and no where else. Atleast these days due to media and internet some talented one's are getting noticed pretty soon but think about the past when really talented guys who didnt make up and some who made up were not given their full credit and a free reign and other mediocre fellows made it to the indian team just to fall apart after one or few tests and never to rise up.

Posted by VAS4 on (December 14, 2012, 19:21 GMT)

Like they say, " all is for good". India should loose this series, which will force the selectors to make some tough decisions like dropping Sehwag.

Posted by Partyman on (December 14, 2012, 19:17 GMT)

Ajinkya Rahane, with all respect to his talent, is being presented as the Silver Bullet to the problems faced by India. As the value of a player goes up when he is not in the side, (Chris Gayle, for instance, who did nuff all in Bangladesh although WIndies won handsomely), Rahane is being talked up. Although, he is not going to be woeful as the players who is keeping him out of the side, he is not going fix the problem on his own. Another crucial point here is that England are playing brilliant cricket. And India are not. And they won't even if Rahane is inducted into the side. Most of the other players lack class and more importantly.......GUMPTION.

Posted by TRAM on (December 14, 2012, 19:17 GMT)

Mr Sidharth , You always write good points. Agreed about all. Rahane needs support like this otherwise he wont be selected. Just one question. Did you write any article like this supporting Badri, when he went through even worse treatment than this? If you can write that would help please. I am all in for both Badri AND Rahane in the team.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 14, 2012, 19:16 GMT)

These pathetic and useless people at the BCCI won't read this article dear Sid. Rahane will be 34 by the time he plays for India thanks to GOD himself who is still not giving up his spot in the Indian team in spite of being nearly 40. It HURTS to read such articles. What did Indian fans do to deserve such a treatment from this board and it's team ? We Indian supporters deserve OUR own team once which we can choose based on merit and achievements rather than lost fame and glory. Some of the idiotic and ignorant talk by the Indian commentators also makes me angry when they keep praising past records and behaviour. So you see, the problem lies there in. It's time to scrap all these 'seniors' from the team. Let India become a 'baby' team. All youth and inexperience is sometimes the way forward. Who knows what the future holds. Rahane has been really unfortunate. Had he been in England, he would have been handed his test cap already.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:15 GMT)

What an article.. My heart goes out to him.. Keep on fighting young champ.. Your day will come...

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:15 GMT)

Terrific writing Sidharth. The Indian cricket is under the worst hands where the YES-MANS get chances and the good players are subsided. Remember Manoj Tiwary also. Scoring runs or taking wickets is not the only criterion. You have to play for CSK in the IPL.

Posted by Faizan_Bahadur on (December 14, 2012, 19:14 GMT)

Nice article.This problem will remain there untill MS Dhoni is captain.We all know he has his favourites that he prefers over others.Clear example is sticking with Rohit Sharma after countless failures.Rohit/Raina/Jadeja/Ashwin/Yuvi are all his favourites.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:12 GMT)

Dont worry dear Rahane, you will get your chance. You will replace the great one and we hope you will achieve greater heights. P.S.- I know a short cut, why dont you play for CSK. Or even better, you should get out for duck drop few catches in your matches against CSK next season in IPL.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:11 GMT)

Awesome awesome Write-up. Man this boy Deserves place in the team. Master [I am a diehard fan for 20 yrs] please get down for higher benefit of the Team. There is nothing wrong in retiring. Just see your peers.

Posted by sitaram58 on (December 14, 2012, 19:10 GMT)

Boo Hoo!!!! go get a multi million $ IPL contract and forget about the long version of the game. And thank your lucky stars you are not a bowler!!!!!

Posted by Kteam on (December 14, 2012, 19:08 GMT)

Well written. Thanks!

I do believe that the selection of teams is a bit too flawed. However, Jadeja's (and Chawla's) selection i think was just trying to replace like by like.

But then again, it is no excuse. I dont see any long term vision, a semblance of plan in any of the selections of late. We can give them the long rope, if there is a clear communication of the plan, but even that is lacking.

In the long run, the selectors should be made answerable to the public and the fans. They cant keep us cheating by short term, popular , and random selections for long!

Posted by doubtingthomas on (December 14, 2012, 19:08 GMT)

Keep it up dude, you just have to make it count when it happens. And the more you make it count, the bigger a statement it will be against all those playing petty politics with this game.

Posted by vinusachinist on (December 14, 2012, 19:07 GMT)

Really sad story for Rahane so far.... He has certainly been a specialist 12th man,drinks boy,bench warmer in test cricket with tiwary carrying out the painful responsibility in the odi's... Anyways, things wil change after tis series... the team is reminescent of the nightmare 90's... hopefully a change is certainly nt far away... 2 vacancies for sure in the form of the 'Master' and his 'clone' r goin 2 open.... either of no.1 or no.4 slot wil b filled by Rahane...

Posted by Sunnyside2711 on (December 14, 2012, 19:05 GMT)

A serious talent no doubt!!!!! But are the selectors listening. Good thing that they have persisted with Pujara and now he is the most consistent of Indian batsmen. In a way this collective failure is the best time to blood new talent. The timing of the selection is important else Rahane will go the Badri way

Posted by VAS4 on (December 14, 2012, 19:05 GMT)

For the mercy of God, please can some one tell me why Sehwag is still in the team? He has no responsibility, he is no team player, cannot inspire anyone. Why oh Why we tolerate him day and day again?????????

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 19:03 GMT)

India will be rebuilding itself in the coming decade....So its highly likely that Rahane might be in the mix of things to come..Who knows...he might be "I am Number 4" !

Posted by street_smart on (December 14, 2012, 19:01 GMT)

Dhoni-Fletcher & Srinivasan all needs to be kicked out.... Show some justice to players like Rahane ..Tiwary..Dinda.....

Posted by Cricket_Crazzy on (December 14, 2012, 19:00 GMT)

From Badrinath..

The worst part is noone writes about me when I am picked in the 14 and dropped out of the 14 for no rime or reason as if its a foregone conclusion that I only belong in the 14 and not in the 11. For eg. I was in the 14 during the previous Test series against NZ (of course didn't get a game) and one would imagine when I am not in the 14 for the next Test series against England, someone would question and ask for any evidence that I am not a skilled substitute, leave alone a deserving India batsman.

I'd rather the selectors do me a favor and not pick me in the 14 as a consolation prize. I'd rather bat for Tamilnadu and help them win a Ranji Trophy. Oh, speaking of Ranji trophy, please find below a comparative first-class stat of your "favored" batsmen against mine. Cheers, Badri..

Badrinath - Runs - 7974, Avg - 60.4, Hundreds - 28 Rahane - Runs - 5322, Avg - 63. 25, Hundreds - 19 Pujara - 4954, 53.84, 15 Tiwary - 4528, 57.31, 16 Rohit Sharma - 4010, 58.97, 12

Posted by sdgator on (December 14, 2012, 18:59 GMT)

Nice piece Sidharth. I guess you are the only one amongst the cricketing journalistic community who is truly aware of the grave injustice done to this talented boy. I am wondering how is he managing to keep himself motivated all along.England have the courage of making a change in the winning squad by giving Joe Root a debut who averages about 38 in first-class cricket with just over 2000 runs.I wonder what more Rahane has to do other than 5000+ odd runs at an avg of 63+ in the first class arena? Maybe try being a Dhoni crony?

Posted by Cricket_Crazzy on (December 14, 2012, 18:58 GMT)

From Badrinath..

In 2010 when both Dravid and Laxman were injured I finally got my chance in a Test in which Steyn demolished India in an inning where only Sehwag and I crossed 50, a fifty on debut, thats good right? In the next Test where India score 600+ I got a venomous yorker again from Steyn and got bowled. And because of that one ball, all of a sudden I was not good enough for the selectors.

But you know what has bothered me more than people like Yuvraj/Raina/Pujara/Jadeja given a Test cap ahead of me? The indifference from Cricket media, Cricinfo in particular whose opinion I respect a lot. Even former cricketers who talk about middle-order replacements don't mention my name. Noone, I mean none writes about me before a squad is picked ahead of a Test series. Noone writes about me as a replacement when there is a debate about a failing middle-order, suddenly players like Manoj Tiwary and Rohit Sharma take precedence over me.

To Be Continued..

Posted by Cricket_Crazzy on (December 14, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

Hello Siddharth Monga,

My name is Subramanian Badrinath, since my first-class debut, I am the leading run scorer in Indian domestic system and India 'A'/Emerging Players system (more than Rahane) . I am the batting lynchpin of a team that is one of the top 4 domestic teams in the country. Over the last 13 years, I have maintained an incredible 60+ average and I score runs heavily year after year. In my early years, I wasn't picked in the Indian team because the middle order had Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly. When Ganguly retired in 2008, I thought finally I'll get my chance but people like Yuvraj and Raina were picked ahead of me based on their ODI success.

To Be Continued..

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:54 GMT)

ha ha :-) great article he sure is ready for this beast called test cricket....bring him in ;-)

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:53 GMT)

First Badrinath, then Tiwary, now Rahane. I just can't help but feel bad for them. Unlucky to the core.

Posted by luvcricket_new_gen on (December 14, 2012, 18:53 GMT)

Rahanae would be extremely frustrated. Dhoni and his IPL stars ruin Indian cricket. Need back those Ganguly days where talent was the only criteria. New captain, New coach, New selection panel, New BCCI chief, New players - the system and the team needs an overhaul. Time for SRT, Dhoni, Gambhir, Shewag to GOOOOOOO!

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:52 GMT)

hahahahaha...lol :)...brilliant Sid Monga!

Posted by Harlequin. on (December 14, 2012, 18:52 GMT)

Hmm, Rob Steins 'first person' article about SRT was excellent, but those sorts of articles need to be written very carefully otherwise you end up with something like this, which makes Rahane out to be a whining child. Some of the points are very valid however.

Posted by Milonedru on (December 14, 2012, 18:52 GMT)

It touches my heart. Thanks Monga for your brave pen. Rahane does deserve a chance in test side.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:47 GMT)

Excellent article, Sidharth! Very well summed up the genuine case of Ajinkya Rehane! This drubbing by England in Indian soil, surely, I desperately hope & pray, will be a blessing-in-disguise! Indian Cricket has been getting a lot of its priorities wrong in a long way, especially since the white-washed Indian tour of England. Will the current debacle bring in some importantly needed changes? Being Indian Cricket, unfortunately, I'm not so certain!

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:46 GMT)

haha...nice one..!!! Rahane and Tiwari... are the future...!!!

Posted by cricket2Monkey on (December 14, 2012, 18:43 GMT)

Mr. Monga

Can you also write a article - Hello, Rahul Sharma here, anyone listening. He would have been the ideal candidate for the mumbai pitch. I remember vaguely about his doping scandal but is he officially suspended..anyone?

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:41 GMT)

Hello, Rahane here.. Anyone listening..????????????

Posted by Balaji.B.Krishnan on (December 14, 2012, 18:34 GMT)

Siddharth, your are totally right about Rahane. Maybe he would hit a lean patch by the time he gets his chance ultimately. Reminds me of Badrinath. Poor fellow was at his peak and he was just ignored and he was just dumped unceremoniously after a really brief glimpse of international cricket. But why don't you people write such stories on deserving bowlers??? Its quite baffling when you people can see that our bowling cupboard is also empty and you keep focusing on just one aspect of our growing list of weaknesses. Please do identify some bowlers who have not got their due...Its high time.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:33 GMT)

very good article...rahane really deserves a chance.

Posted by arpit_hunny on (December 14, 2012, 18:31 GMT)

well written !!!! surely he deserves a chance in test cricket ....

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:29 GMT)

Superb piece indeed. It's true for so many players.

Posted by Tunndoc on (December 14, 2012, 18:24 GMT)

Can't help but smile. The only thing missing in the poor guy (Rahane) is he doesn't play for CSK? or does he???? Politics and 'God' status of some in the team without delivering the goods reeks of favoritism. Good luck Team India .......remember Change is never convenient, but change u must to c results in your favour.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:20 GMT)

Poor guy...feeling very pity on him..I am really worried on the thinking of these young players..I pray that Manoj,Rahane will not follow same path of Rohit where an Inform player will be serving drinks to Non Performers which happened to Rohit during Aus Tour and later he lost his form...

Posted by Batmanindallas on (December 14, 2012, 18:18 GMT)

I feel for him...when they talk about no talent in Indian domestic cricket first name comes to mind is Rahane. I am not sure what he needs to do...my advice join Chennai in IPL...that seems to be the magic trick ask Raina and Jadeja

Posted by Optimistix on (December 14, 2012, 18:13 GMT)

I think posting in first person, as though the writer were the player, is not a good idea, as you might misrepresent the player.

That said, it is absolutely ridiculous that Rahane is yet to get a test while our batting has been misfiring for over 1.5 years, starting with the tour of WI.

Posted by niceguy31 on (December 14, 2012, 18:11 GMT)

Again, a very well written article. Probably Ajinkya Rahane himself couldnt have drafted it better. If only this same kind of hard hitting journalism was present during our disastrous Australia/England series I believe it would have had the desired effect. Now its like flogging a dead horse.

Posted by xcal519 on (December 14, 2012, 18:11 GMT)

Yeap where is he ... remove Gambhis, Shehwag and Sachin... cant even play 50 runs ... give others chance ... anyway we are gonna lose why not with youngers

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:09 GMT)

Loved the writing skills :)

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 18:03 GMT)

He is only good for domestic cricket, he disappointed all his fans in ODI cricket and India A tour of West Indies!

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 17:58 GMT)

Had tears reading his plight, come on selectors WAKE UP

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 17:56 GMT)

Outstanding work Sidharth. You got to feel for this guy. You don't open with him because you have Sehwag and Gauti. You can bet on your life that this guy will atleast score more than those 2 inconsistent lad. At no.6,you pick a Yuvraj Singh who's never enjoyed test cricket. Then you go for a Ravindra Jadeja who's got those 300s on flat decks.

This guy has worked hard for 2-3 years in Ranji and should get his place. Surely,wasted 1 yr of Rahane but then,now that we have lost the series against England[It's still on,but you can make that out,can't you]. It's time Rahane is drafted into the 11 and given ample chances because he along with Pujara,Kohli will have to carry forward the Indian batting line up for years now with a Tiwary and Rohit hopefully.

Enough of inconsistent lazy Sehwag and Mr.Edgebhir. Master,sadly has to retire. He's lost it now and that's not a shame coz he's conquered it for 23 yrs but it's over now.

Time for Rahane.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (December 14, 2012, 17:56 GMT)

Once upon a time, there was only one elephant in our dressing room. Now, Dhoni can be added to that list. The list of elephants is surely growing. One elephant protecting the other. One elephant leading to the development of the other. Nice camaraderie!!! At the end of the day, looks like winning is the last thing on the mind of this team and many fans here. Looks like winning will be cherished if and only if it comes from the personnel that we like. What's wrong if we win with Rahane in the team instead of Statchin? What's wrong if we lose with Rahane in the team instead of Statchin? After all, aren't Rahane and the likes the future of India? Let the newbies fall, fail, take it on the chin and learn to succeed. What a high-octane melodrama Indian Cricket is! Emotion is paramount. Bollywood emotional script rules Indian minds. Shame!

Posted by SevereCritic on (December 14, 2012, 17:55 GMT)

Mr Rahane - you should visit Manoj Tiwary and share a toast with him. Take Badrinath along with you on the trip as well.

Posted by nkoch on (December 14, 2012, 17:55 GMT)

nice article. Hope they don't make a Badri out of Rahane. He is by far the most talented upcoming batsman in India. Give him few chances and he'll prove his worth. Don't lose hope, Ajinkya, your turn will come soon.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 17:54 GMT)

Nice article on Rahane and Sharma on cricinfo by Siddhartha Monga

Posted by Raki99 on (December 14, 2012, 17:47 GMT)

This is Dhoni's last game as captain, I think he has become to cocky and his decisions are just perplexing. He selected three spinners for the nagpur game which i just don't undestand with jadeja as a part timer. He is done and dusted after losing 3-1 at home against Eng. The other question is would he even retain his place in the test team against australia I hope not he should carry on in the one day and 20-20 not in test.........

Posted by venky2010 on (December 14, 2012, 17:47 GMT)

You beauty Sidharth Monga...great one. It was sarcastic but brutal honesty. How any player can be moraly ill treated. I hope he gets his chance and for good does not become a failure.

Posted by Harsha_Reddy on (December 14, 2012, 17:42 GMT)

I thought Cricinfo was a good website for cricket lovers...but somewhere down the lane it is missing the point it is team game and i see more and more columns about individual players ...few days back someone wrote what is sachin thinking in his mind,now this ... can any1 write what these people are thinking about indian cricket ? or is it not their problem ?

Posted by vatsap on (December 14, 2012, 17:38 GMT)

Oh please ... some sensible stuff. What would Badrinath have to say ? How many chances for Raina and Yuvi. Ronia Sharma could have been tried in tests, but no, our selection committee have to pander to the masses and former cricketers to include the likes of Yuvraj.

Posted by   on (December 14, 2012, 17:37 GMT)

indian selectors are mastaking by not picking rahane in playing 11 he is one of the best test players for india :)

Posted by Alexk400 on (December 14, 2012, 17:31 GMT)

Finally a creative piece. He should be ahead of Jadeja. Even he should have played instead of chawla. Atleast india could have drawn this test. Oh well live and learn

Sidharth MongaClose
Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013