England in India 2012-13

Anderson, Trott rested from ODIs

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 18, 2012

Virender Sehwag lost his middle stump against James Anderson, India v England, 4th Test, Nagpur, 2nd day, December 14, 2012
James Anderson has been given a break after his performances in England's Test win © BCCI

England have rested fast bowler James Anderson and batsman Jonathan Trott from the ODI series in India in January and replaced them with Chris Woakes and Jos Buttler. They have also included batsman Joe Root in the Twenty20 squad for the two matches in December before they return home for Christmas.

"Woakes and Buttler replace Anderson and Trott in the India ODI squad as the selectors look to manage workloads," the ECB said in a statement.

Anderson had originally been selected only to play the first three matches of the five-ODI series, but he will now miss the entire contest after playing an important role in England's 2-1 victory in the Test series in India.

Woakes, who is currently playing domestic cricket in New Zealand, has played six ODIs, taking seven wickets at 29.14 and scoring 72 runs. Most of scalps came in one innings when he claimed 6 for 45 against Australia in Brisbane. He spent a lot of time around the squad during 2012 without commanding a regular place.

Buttler, the 22-year-old Somerset batsman, only has one ODI cap under his belt. In that match, against Pakistan in Dubai, he collected a second-ball duck.

Root was added to the T20 squad that was weakened by the injury to Stuart Broad, who will be replaced as captain as Eoin Morgan. Although Root face 229 balls for his 73 on debut, he also has a more flamboyant side to his game as he showed briefly in the second innings and has demonstrated for Yorkshire in the domestic Friends Life t20.

England play Twenty20 internationals on December 20 and 22 before returning home for Christmas and the New Year. They return to India in the first week of January for the ODI series.

Twenty20 squad: Jonny Bairstow, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Alex Hales, Michael Lumb, Stuart Meaker, Eoin Morgan (capt), Samit Patel, James Tredwell, Luke Wright, Joe Root, James Harris.

ODI squad: Alastair Cook (capt), Jonny Bairstow, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Stuart Meaker, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes, Jos Buttler.

Posted by JG2704 on (December 21, 2012, 19:11 GMT)

@Harmony111 on (December 21 2012, 10:29 AM GMT) To be fair to the majority of our regular fans , when we won the T20/ODI series in UAE , we were seeing it as a scant consolation. The fact that our selectors have gone into the T20/ODI seies' without Swann (who IMO is our best shorter forms player) and the T20s without KP speaks volumes about how the selectors see these 2 series. Not agreeing with resting KP but can see why they're resting Swann and while I'd love us to win the next T20 match and do well in the ODIs I can't see it happening

Posted by Harmony111 on (December 21, 2012, 16:22 GMT)

@jb633: T20 is as REAL as Tests are. There is nothing diluted about the quality of the game. I could argue that a team could lose a session or 2 in tests yet win the match but if a team loses a sequence of 4-5 overs in a T20 match then it will usually lose the match. The T20 format is more demanding physically (in terms of sustained hitting and agility) as well as mentally. The T20 format is less forgiving and has less scope of rectifying mistakes. Even if a batsman scores 30 of 17 balls in T20 he may still need to carry it on to win the match - imagine the sustained pressure. This is not the case in Tests. You can pad the ball for many overs with no runs and it won't hut you much. A T20 match guarantees a decisive result. This has totally diff implications than a test where a draw could be seen as a draw or be a win or a loss. I do not see T20s or ODIs patronizingly. For me they are all real. T20 would still be cricket even without the paraphernalia that it often gets linked with.

Posted by jb633 on (December 21, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

@Harmony111- I think the point you raise about globalising the game is very insightful. Personally I do not think too much significance should be placed on the results of T20 games but they should be about entertainment and getting the crowd involved. I have no problem with the sideshows (bouncy castles or whatever) to draw the kids towards the game of cricket. However once the kids learn the basics they should be schooled in the arts of test cricket. T20 cricket is important in the sense that it can act as a sprinboard to the real format. At the end of the day though people who enjoy the game want to see the skills that make cricket great, ie rapid bowlers, well crafted 100's, masterly spin bowling etc. The T2O format is like diluted cricket and it makes it easier for a minnow side to compete. Eventually though we need to see who is the best team. We need the Ashes or Ind vs Pak series where players go down in legend. At some point we will always want to see which side is the best.

Posted by Harmony111 on (December 21, 2012, 10:29 GMT)

@Arun Masilamoni: Thanks for your kind words. @JG2704: Ofc if it was between an 80 year old cup and a come-n-go ODI series most will pick the Ashes. But I read similar comments after Eng's loss in WC too. When Eng had lost to BD I recall reading a few comments that were like "We got the Ashes that's it". Even here I find a few ppl who are already talking lowly of the ODIs and T20s. Maybe its sour grapes. Tests are fine, but why should the WC ODI be ridiculed? Regarding the Ind fans who say Tests are obsolete and T20s are the future, I agree only partially. T20 is the format that will globalize this game, Tests wont. Once ppl play T20s they will get drawn to the Tests. Arnold began as a newbie once and as he climbed the levels he eventually competed at Mr. Universe & Olympia. We begin by hillwalking and then some go on to climb Everest. We need to fix our test team but unlike some who want 8-9 of the players to be dropped I want only a few changes, 2-3 at most - Service not dismantling.

Posted by g.narsimha on (December 21, 2012, 4:46 GMT)

JG27O4-(20-12-12-21:20 PM GMT)-i was exepecting this result after waching the magnicient batting display by ENG in second inning of the first match , that was launching pad ,the score in exceess of 400 instilled confidence in u r team, had they fallowed suit the way they batted in the first inning , we would have seen deferent result ,i enjoy test cricket & its really sadden me the way our seniors & most imoportantly the men at helm- BCCI is not serios enough to adress the vital issues , now we won a t-20 match, if do better in odis , than this humiliation of loosing 10 tests at trot at home & away will only conifine to recordbooks.

Posted by Hammond on (December 20, 2012, 21:54 GMT)

There is an old Latin word that has a wealth of meaning here. Gravitas. It has various meanings in English, usually connoting a sense of weight, importance, depth, and in ancient Rome if you had "Gravitas" you would be better remembered by your ancestors. Limited over forms of cricket, (and I will concede ODI WC being the only exception) carry no Gravitas. No-one remembers, or cares about bi-lateral odi series. Australians in particular have completely forgotten that England whitewashed them in ODI's last year, but most Australians know that England got beaten by South Africa in the test series that came straight after. Can anyone remember what happened in the odi series that directly followed it? I can't. And that is my whole point. Test cricket has gravitas, the other forms of the game patently do not. Hence the care factor is lower (or in my case non-existent).

Posted by JG2704 on (December 20, 2012, 21:20 GMT)

@Harmony111 on (December 20 2012, 12:19 PM GMT) TBH it doesn't really matter what folk think. We all have our preferences. Re Australia/England - I think is different from India/Eng in that most Australia/Eng fans seem to prefer tests to ODIs esp on those tournaments. I was disappointed with our displays in the ODIs after that series but if I had a choice between winning the Ashes or the ODI series it would be the Ashes every time. By contrast we came away from UAE having won the ODIs by whitewash and the T20 series too but that was scant consolation to most of our regulars. TBH most of our regular posters (I'm not talking about the cheerleaders who come and go) seemed to go for India in all 3 formats on this tour. I said pre test series that I thought that because of the fragility of both sides that it was the best chance of a 4-0 whitewash for India but because of the fragility of India it could be Engs best chance to win a test series in India. After the 1st test I feared the worst

Posted by   on (December 20, 2012, 20:22 GMT)

Harmony111: I love your post. You are truly a person of wisdom, and are a genuine lover of cricket. Good analogies, especially of the Opera-Rock tension: it is so easy to fall into bias or just plain social-climbing in such comparisons. I have often been guilty of both, and will doubtless find occasion to be so in future. However, I enjoyed coming across a mind as clear and straightforward as yours.

I enjoyed the 4th Test; it was good to see a pitch that tested batsmen's technique and temperament. Probably the old groundsman's tribute to Gavaskar and Boycott (we actually used to call them the 'Test match opening bores'. Imagine!). Pietersen came through in flying colours and proved what we have all suspected: that he is the best batsman in the world today, even considering Amla and Clarke.

And what a gem England has revealed in Joe Root! Why isn't he playing the ODI's? This boy will go far if given the chance. Use him now while he has all the energy and focus of extreme youth.

Posted by SamRoy on (December 20, 2012, 16:59 GMT)

If Chris Woakes can bat at 6 or 7 in the test team and get 50s consistently like Prior does, England can play Anderson, Finn, Panesar and Swann irrespective of climatic conditions and pitch nature. It will be very good as they are the four best bowlers in England.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (December 20, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

I agree with JG2704, england look a little light,and dont know why KP isnt in the T20 squad, unless he struck a deal to get time off for christmas so that he could with his family, and most of the guys in the T20 squad are young and single with no ties.

I do find it strange that the ECB wouldnt wrap the T20's up with the Post Christmas ODI series.

Posted by Harmony111 on (December 20, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

@JG2704: I guess it is the general refrain of Eng fans that Tests matter and the ODIs and T20s are merely fillers. Isn't that the general feeling? I can't name everyone here but more fans than a few have said similar things, not just on this page but on a cumulative basis. When Eng had lost 1-6 to Aus after the last Ashes that's just what they said -- We've won the Ashes and that's all that matters. In any case, if something is traditional it doesn't necessarily deserve more respect. I don't like Tests cos they are older. I like Tests cos they provide a diff kind of scenario to me. You can't say an Opera is more or less difficult as art than a Rock concert do you? Both are similar but different. A 10km race vs a100 mt sprint is no comparison at all. Both test interlinked but diff aspects of the player. I like cricket in all forms. Tests/ODIs/T20s/FC/Street anyone. I too am worried about our Test team but I don't pray that Ind lose the ODIs to wake up. Losses shud b covered not dilated

Posted by JG2704 on (December 20, 2012, 9:32 GMT)

@baghels.a on (December 19 2012, 19:58 PM GMT) Hello my friend. TBH you get different types of fans on here. The honest type who genuinely loves cricket and gives their honest criticisms/praises on the game/their teams etc and those cheerleader types who give the big predictions and then either give the "wait until" talk , hide behind excuses or just hide. I have you down as the former. As for the squads - I think we look weak. Can't understand why KP isn't in the T20 squad and why Jimmy can't play half the ODIs. Woakes I think is more of a test player but I guess it's a way of giving him experience if they play him. I'm disappointed Wright isn't in the ODI squad. Thanks for your comms re the test series but I feel we'll do well to escape a whitewash in ODIs/T20s.All the best there. Re Lumb - they should have given him a go in the WC as Craig was awful

Posted by JG2704 on (December 20, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

@jmcilhinney on (December 18 2012, 23:18 PM GMT)

RE @Cpt.Meanster & @Hammond, you're both as full of it as each other. I've never seen people put so much effort into trying to convince others that they don't care about something

Absolutely spot on there. Why even comment on something you have such little interest in?

@Partyman on (December 19 2012, 00:20 AM GMT) To be fair CM did say pre series that Eng would be favourites for the test series

Posted by recycle-bin-is-empty on (December 20, 2012, 9:23 GMT)

@Cpt Meanster it is absolutely fine if you love t-20 cricket more than test cricket. But please dont go on and on and keep generalising that Indians dont care about test cricket or like t-20 cricket more. There are many Indian fans who loves things the other way. And then there are some fans, who like and enjoy all the 3 formats, like me :). But yeah, i dont take T-20 cricket too seriously, but i also believe it has a lot of potential if this format is developed properly. T-20 cricket in its present state has too many flaws.

Posted by Hammond on (December 20, 2012, 7:47 GMT)

@jmcilhinney.. ? What part of "I am only interested in watching odi cricket when Australia and India are losing" don't you understand? I haven't watched a T20 all the way through since the format started, and I was probably 9 years old the last time I watched an ODI all the way through. Clear enough for you?

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 20, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

@Hammond on (December 20 2012, 05:47 AM GMT), I repeat, I am 8 feet tall, but I will still be walking through doorways without bending or stooping. Do you watch India play hockey to see them lose? Of course not, because you don't care about hockey. You do watch limited-overs cricket though.

Posted by landl47 on (December 20, 2012, 6:16 GMT)

Great to see Chris Woakes selected. This is a guy who averaged 70 with the bat and 25 with the ball in England last Summer; he's still only 23 years old and lacks only a bit of pace to be top level. His batting has advanced so quickly that he will be a serious contender for a batting place soon, with bowling his second string. He's been over in NZ working hard at his game and hopefully his strength. I'd love to see him as a genuine all-rounder in the test side.

On the more negative side, with Bairstow and now Buttler in the squad, do we really need Kieswetter? I'm also disappointed to see that Dernbach is in the ODI squad; he's OK for T20 but just not accurate enough to bowl at international level in the longer two formats. I'd have preferred to see Harris given a go in the ODI squad as well as the T20s.

Posted by Hammond on (December 20, 2012, 5:47 GMT)

@jmcilhinney- I repeat, I couldn't give a rats about any limited over cricket. But I just enjoy watching Australia (and India) lose in any form of the game. And if you read any of my posts during the Australia v England whitewash, I said exactly the same thing. I hope India gets hammered in the ODI (and even T20) series so they have nowhere to hide, can't run home to mumma, while pretending they don't care about losing a test series at home.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 20, 2012, 2:53 GMT)

@Hammond on (December 19 2012, 13:09 PM GMT), do you read your own comments? Could you possibly contradict yourself more? "I don't care about limited-overs cricket but I'll be watching and hope England wins". Was that you not caring about limited-overs cricket when you commented on the last series against Australia that England won? I think that it's great that you prefer Test cricket but if you really don't care about limited-overs cricket then you would be continually posting of stories about it. I suggest that you stop trying to make a point that doesn't need to be made with information that is obviously false. Doing so makes you look rather foolish and makes anything else you might say rather hard to take seriously. I don't care about boxing, horse-racing or motor-racing so I don't watch them, read a word about them or comment on them. That's what you do when you really don't care about something.

Posted by baghels.a on (December 19, 2012, 19:58 GMT)

@JG2704 , hi there mate, congrutulations on England's fantastic victory in test series, how now Brit Insurance would be ruing pulling out of English team sponsership. In the heat of moment some of us Indian fans felt insulted or feeling put down when suggested performance in shorter format dosen't count for much as if assuming we are destined to win in2 t-20's and 5 ODI's :P. We are hurt by test defeat and we care about it as much we care for other formats.Finally no one has yet commented on the actual squad and how good it is to see Woakes and Harris given a go.Michael Lumb was a beast in CL the cricket version and will be exiting to see and so will Somerset boy Buttler . Finally @ Hammond are you an Australian or English fan or just want to see India lose all the time !!!

Posted by JG2704 on (December 19, 2012, 18:55 GMT)

tanstell87 on (December 19 2012, 04:11 AM GMT) Thanks for you balanced comms there bud. Personally I want to see Eng win in all 3 formats but I'd say we're hugely up against it without KP or Swann in the T20s and Swann and Jimmy in the ODIs. Personally I think we maybe overdoing the resting a little. Re Swann - fair enough , he has had elbow probs and we want to keep him playing for as long as possible. Re Jimmy , I'd say he could have played one or 2 of the ODIs but re KP - why he's not playing the T20s is beyond me

Posted by JG2704 on (December 19, 2012, 18:54 GMT)

@Harmony111 on (December 19 2012, 15:43 PM GMT) Re 1st point - probably because it is the most traditional format of the game. 2 - see comments from Baghels.a , CptMeanster and Tanstella on this thread alone - not to mention numerous others - either from fans who are either genuinely concerned about the state of Indian test cricket and thinking T20s/ODIs are the priority or from those who are not bothered because they just lost in tests or from those who genuinely do not care about test cricket. Also both yourself and CM have directed your comms at Eng fans (plural) when only one (maybe 2) Eng fans has/have actually said /implied he /they doesn't/don't care about the other fmts.

Posted by JG2704 on (December 19, 2012, 18:51 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster on (December 18 2012, 19:29 PM GMT) Why were you one of the most prolific Indian posters throughout the test series if you think test cricket is so bad? Re your little rant on how bad England is in ODI's - it aint as bad as you maybe think. I'm not going to gloat about us being officially number 1 because I reckon India will hammer us and we'll slide to 3 or 4 - but 3 or 4 isn't all that poor is it? We had an awful series last time we visited India and had a poor last WC but in England we have had a fairly good record in recent years and this year we also whitewashed Pak in UAE - You may remember Pakistan were the side who won the Asia cup in the 50 over tournament although you may have lost interest at the semi final stage.

Posted by bumsonseats on (December 19, 2012, 17:47 GMT)

not sure about a few of my countrymen. i want us to win anything we are involved in odis or t20

Posted by jb633 on (December 19, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

@cpt.Meanster- please read your own comments after the Ahmedabad test. I have just read all of them and lets say you weren't so dismissive of test cricket then. I insist that you read them before publishing all this tripe. Some Indian fans on here are a disgrace to the majority of ones who are willing to accept faults. Hiding behind the circus stuff won't get you very far. Actually wait India are very average in this format too. Just accept faults and stop making pathetic excuses and pretending you don't care. It is reasonable to be hurting after losing test matches, and if you write opinions on what needs doing people may actually pay attention.

Posted by jb633 on (December 19, 2012, 16:12 GMT)

@baghela.s.a yes I agree we should try and support cricket globally and yes I will stand by my statment that this Indian team lacks metal. In the past it could certainly never be said that players like Dravid, Sachin, Kumble Bhaji etc lacked metal but this side certainly does. And as soon as I see that Kieron Pollard is considered class in any format of cricket we know there is something seriously wrong. To score at 10 an over is nothing like compling 100 on the last day of a test or the first day of a Headingley test. That is why we appreciate players like Dravid, Sachin, Laxman so much. They conquered all conditions. To slog 10 an over requires skill but also a huge amount of luck. T20 cricket is circus stuff most cricket fans will acknowledge this. T20 is good for introducing someone who has never watched a game before. Beyond that it serves no purpose. What will India do when all those who want a cheap thrill move on to the next phase? T20 has no real substance and will not last.

Posted by Harmony111 on (December 19, 2012, 15:43 GMT)

@Eng fans: Guys, why do most of you seem to suggest that the 2 limited overs versions are somehow lesser forms of cricket? Secondly, why do you and the others in general think that Indians/Team India dislike/avoid Tests and prefer the other 2 versions? Thirdly, even if it is so why do you look at it with some sort of contempt? Eng prefer tests while Ind fans/Team Ind supposedly prefers ODIs/T20s. None of the two groups is wrong here. Eng played good cricket to win the test series but to then say that Eng care only about Tests and don't value ODIs/T20s really is more like sour grapes and is a bit like Ind saying We-will-win-at-home-so-dont-worry. Just like winning away is an imp as winning at home, similarly it is equal imp to be good in the other dimension of the game. Some Eng fans like Hammond etc talked of Eng's #1 rank in ODIs. Well done to get there Eng but pls tell me who is the current WC in ODIs? Rankings are transient but WC wins are permanent. And ODIs are fading? Really?

Posted by henauvin01 on (December 19, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

I am english, love CRICKET, prefer test cricket, but watch and get excited by all forms, T20 and ODI (also womens!!),,why all this talk about which is best???? Who cares?? How often is there a semi-full ground in Eng for an ODI? English fans adapt to all forms and generally love the GAME!!

Posted by Whatsgoinoffoutthere on (December 19, 2012, 15:09 GMT)

Both good calls, everyone around England needs to be aware that at present Anderson is all but irreplaceable and must be managed properly. Trott is probably not considered our best limited-overs batsman (although better than some make out). Buttler is an exciting talent in the shorter game and hasn't yet been given a proper opportunity to show it. Woakes has the potential to be a key allrounder in all formats for England, although he too hasn't had the chance to show it yet. I think up to the present Woakes' bowling is a little short of pace to threaten consistently at international level. However, there's time yet.

I see England in the short format as a few steps ahead of where India are with Test cricket: England are rebuilding in limited over games and have started experimenting with some new names. India are on the verge of entering that phase in Tests. My prediction is that India will prevail in these matches, but that there might be the odd surprise from England along the way.

Posted by Hammond on (December 19, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

@jmcilhinney- actually, I really couldn't care less about limited overs cricket. Just reacting to people who discount a test cricket series (that England dominated) that lasted 20 days as opposed to an odi series that will last 5 days. Why am I the only one who sees the truth in plain mathematics? That said, I will be watching, just because I hope England's B side trounces the hapless Indian team.

Posted by baghels.a on (December 19, 2012, 12:04 GMT)

@jb633, you really think India lacks metal because we just lost to you after 28 years, were not we not number one in test ranking in 2011 before you beat us 4-0 to dethrone us, so are you suggesting we had metal then and lack it know ???my original post was regarding condenscending attitudes coming our way regarding our preference for shorter formats ???? you say test cricket is tough because it tests skills , you don't feel that it takes skill to make 6,7 sometimes asking rate of 10 runs per over where remaining merely not out won't do,is it not skills to not only take wickets but contain batsmen at sametime?? why are you selectively looking at things and saying one format is tough or easy or circus as you put it.After all three formats were invented in England and i am repeating cricket is a minority sports worldwide and as a cricket community we can't afford to be divided over our likes and dislikes of a particular format.we can certainly do away with condescending lectures ....

Posted by   on (December 19, 2012, 8:47 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster : Dude , about time we should start behaving in gracious manner.It's yet to be seen how our team performs in ODI's and T20's.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (December 19, 2012, 6:43 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster " We all know why Giles Clarke is in India. It's about milking some money isn't it". Isn't this the same for india?. The media promoted its best for a 'revenge series' we all know dhoni (with his $40 million contract from the corporates) has to back this up with his/team performances and that can only happen in shorter formats. So enjoy your T20s and IPL

Posted by Hammond on (December 19, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster- do you know anything about cricket? England are that hopeless at ODI cricket they are currently number one in the world according to the ICC rankings, having won 12 of it's last 16 odi series, including whitewashing Aus, Pak, & WI. If all Indian fans have is dubious odi credentials (ie hanging onto a dying form of cricket that hardly anyone else watches), then good luck to you. India, not even as good as England in odi's, yet hanging onto a fading reputation in a fading branch of the sport. Quite fitting really.

Posted by mikey76 on (December 19, 2012, 6:22 GMT)

Cpt Meanster, last time I looked we were top of the ODI standings. You need to do some research before venting. Made yourself look a very silly boy. Jmcillhiney, WAP whatever his name is has just moved ahead of RandyOz and Jonesy as the most stupid Australian on this website.

Posted by tanstell87 on (December 19, 2012, 4:11 GMT)

JG2704 - just like England have prioritised test cricket,India have prioritised limited over cricket & they are good in that format...& at home they are unbeateable but you never know now that they have lost a test series at home after 8 years...they might lose in ODIs too & finally congrats for your test series win in India...& you being a massive England fan it must be great for you & other guys....Cook,Swann & Anderson were the difference...alb to England in next years 2 Ashes from a passionate Indian fan from Mumbai.

Posted by DIGower on (December 19, 2012, 2:16 GMT)

Capt Meanster: "Your record is pathetic in ODI cricket any way." I agree -- in ODI and T20 more is less -- Thus England are currently #1 ranked ODI side in the world. India are a close 3rd & in T20 India are 3rd and England 4th. I agree this is pathetic. But, as the two sides are almost equally pathetic it would probably be a tremendous contest, IF only India would also play their 2nd XI. Hopefully their selectors play ball -- as they did in the Tests.

Posted by Deep_Point on (December 19, 2012, 1:50 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster - how poor are England at ODI? Have a check...

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 19, 2012, 1:08 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster on (December 18 2012, 19:29 PM GMT), are you the pot or the kettle? How many times do we have to hear how boring you find Test cricket while you continually post on stories about Test cricket?

Posted by Partyman on (December 19, 2012, 0:20 GMT)

Cpt. Meanster...... Its time you keep quiet. After all your proclamations during the test series how India is going to hammer England, I am glad England sent the likes of you with your tail between the legs. Now you talk as if you don't care about test match cricket!!! Your comments betrays that you are a sore loser. I don't think anyone can get any pathetic as you are now. If you are losing 20 years every time you watch a test match why watch it? More so, why make predictions and spend half your life time making comments on test matches. You are ever present making comments on all matches involving England, for ever. By your calculations you must be at least million years old!! Crikey! Time to give up on your howling.... Cricinfo please publish.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 23:18 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster & @Hammond, you're both as full of it as each other. I've never seen people put so much effort into trying to convince others that they don't care about something. The people who really don't care are the one's not commenting. Meanster, for a country that don't care about Test cricket, India sure produced a lot of comments on the recent series, many of them very passionate about Indian Test cricket. Your repeated comments are far more boring than the worst Test match. Hammond, like most England fans, I prefer Test cricket but, unlike you, I don't gloat after a limited-overs series win but claim not to care before a series England are likely to lose. England may care more about Test cricket but that doesn't mean that they don't care about limited-overs. The size of the crowds in England indicates that the fans care too.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (December 18, 2012, 22:34 GMT)

@ Cpt.Meanster - I see you are going by past performances to predict future outcome AGAIN! As an economist you of all people should know that past history is not a PREDICTOR of future results...ECON101 mate. Need I remind you that Eng are currently ranked joint 1st in ODI? We just don't care too much about ODI series after an exhausting TEST series...WIN LOSE OR DRAW! So much time and effort is put in the test series that there is a natural let down heading into the ODI potions but I can assure you ENG will be fully prepare come June next year for the Champions Trophy! BTW for someone who despise Test cricket, you've been poking your head into those articles about the just concluded test series way more than someone who doesn't give a hoot about test cricket.

Posted by JG2704 on (December 18, 2012, 21:29 GMT)

Have to say I expect India to thrash us in both the T20s and ODIs but I'd love to be proven wrong. To me both squads are weakened significantly by (IMO) our most consistent performer Swann. The T20 squad has no KP either and to me looks very weak without our 2 best T20 players. Re the ODIs , although a Somerset fan and pleased to see Jos in there I'm disappointed I'm disappointed Wright has not been called up. He was by far our best batsman in the T20WC and he would get straight in my OD side at the moment. Also I'm guessing Eng are revising their views on trying to become number 1 in all 3 formats. I'm all for resting players but why is KP not playing the T20 series?. It's hardly like he's been prolific (appearancewise for Eng in recent months)

Posted by JG2704 on (December 18, 2012, 21:26 GMT)

@electric_loco_WAP4 on (December 18 2012, 09:42 AM GMT) - I know you'll probably struggle with this but England rest some of their players (esp bowlers) because they worry about them suffering injuries or burn out. Jimmy suffered that after the last Ashes series but well done for LOLing at your own comments.

Posted by SDHM on (December 18, 2012, 20:56 GMT)

@Lmao & JMC - to compare Woakes with Broad is to do him a massive disservice. Broad is a bowler who bats, Woakes is a genuine all-rounder; there is a huge difference. That said, Woakes is definitely not at his best in the shorter formats of the game with the ball - the Championship is his forte. Basically, to bring him into a side at no.8 is a huge waste - with him in it, you can start to think about playing a 5 man attack.

Posted by   on (December 18, 2012, 20:39 GMT)

I can't understand why Monty is not in the ODI side, especially with Swann being rested. he bowled very well in the tests and current form in those conditions is critical.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 18, 2012, 19:41 GMT)

@Hammond: You know what, you are right and I do agree with you for at least ONCE. India should stop playing test cricket for sure. At the same time, England with a pathetic ODI record should totally stop playing any limited overs cricket and should also stop competing in world events. We don't need anyone to make up numbers. England look goodl while playing test cricket. Can't blame them, test cricket has always been traditionally followed in England and a lot more people hold it in high regards. But that isn't the case in India. Most of our fans hold ODI cricket in high regards. As a nation, India has seen successes in winning world cups rather than test matches. Had it not been for that win in 1983, India would have remained just another cricket playing nation. It's ODI cricket that has rejuvenated India and rightly so our fans love the format. So no hard feelings here, we love ODI cricket and you love test cricket.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 18, 2012, 19:29 GMT)

@English fans: If you guys don't like ODIs then why even PLAY in the format ? Your record is pathetic in ODI cricket any way. I suggest Indians to stop playing boring test cricket altogether. They don't have the conditions or the players with the patience to play for FIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEE long days. I grow 20 years older every time I try to watch a test match. You see, both teams have weaknesses in different formats. England are simply POOR in ODI cricket. No wonder you guys despise the format. Look at your record, it's abysmal. The same can be said about India in test cricket. Our fans don't like it, simple as that. So you cannot expect Indian fans to love test cricket when your fans don't like ODIs. Believe it or not, ODIs generate a lot more interest in the minds of Indian public than tests. There is no use denying it but that's the truth.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 18, 2012, 19:24 GMT)

@Hammond: If nobody is watching in the UK, WHO CARES ? Isn't it your board along with the BCCI who has scheduled these ODIs ? We all know why Giles Clarke is in India. It's about milking some money isn't it ? If England really don't care about ODIs, then how about quitting the format altogether so that BETTER teams can play the format such as India. Besides, England never look like winning any ODI they play anyway. Pretty much the same way India don't look to win any tests. So both teams have polarising interests in cricket. I say, let the ICC put up a referendum asking teams which formats they prioritize. If I am the ICC president, the referendum would have been up long ago. I bet India will vote heavily in favour of ODIs and T20s. Let test cricket be played in Eng, Aus and SA only.

Posted by Trickstar on (December 18, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

Not surprised Anderson has been rested, he looked like he had some kind of problem in that final test, stretching his hamstring out, add to that he's bowled more overs than any seamer in the world. Hopefully Finn will be fit for the one day series and we could open with him & Meaker, throwing some genuine heat at the Indians. At this point I'd go with:- Cook, Bell, KP, Morgan, Bairstow, Patel, Woakes, Tredwell, Meaker, Finn, Briggs. Good blend of young & established players. Bowling does look a bit week without Swann, Broad and Jimmy and also with Bresnan in such poor form but we'll just have to make the best of it. Good to get KP back & No3 is a good place for him here in India and was one of the positives last time here. At some point I'd like to get Buttler in, simply because he's a far better 50 over player than T20 that he gets picked in and he's a tremendous talent. I think this series will be different to the last simply because we're used to the conditions and their bowlers.

Posted by Charlie101 on (December 18, 2012, 17:42 GMT)

@Electric_loco I think Dhoni would sell his right arm for a couple of our " County trundlers " and they would get into the indian side in all 3 formats !!!

Posted by Selassie-I on (December 18, 2012, 15:45 GMT)

Although our players are going home over the Xmas period, India are playing Pakistan. Hopefully they'll be tired when they come to play us in the ODI series after, we could do with an ODI series win in India to go with our test series win. But the main aim is to keep our players fresh for back to back ashes and the chapions trophy.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 14:07 GMT)

@electric_loco_WAP4 on (December 18 2012, 09:42 AM GMT), didn't realise you were an Aussie. Should have been obvious I guess. I always find it amusing when an Australian calls Anderson a "county trundler" given the ease with which he removed Australian batsmen in the last Ashes. It's like the fat guy who can hardly stand up teasing the runner who came second for not winning the race.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

@Hammond on (December 18 2012, 10:34 AM GMT), because the likelihood of his being there during a 2-game T20I series with no warmup games having any impact is negligible and thus far outweighed by the good it will do him to be at home with his family. For such a short series of short games, having Halsall on hand will be quite enough and if Flower is needed then he's just a phone call away. It's not like there's loads of strategising to do over the course of the series like is for the Tests. Come the new year and the ODI series, Ashley Giles, England's new limited-overs coach, will be on hand to steer the team through a the 5-game series that also involves 2 warmup games. Really Hammond, you are an embarrassment to most England fans. If you really don't care about limited-overs cricket then why are you commenting here and wasting everyone's time? If you must stoop to gloating about the Test series win then at least do it on a story about the Test series.

Posted by symsun on (December 18, 2012, 14:00 GMT)

I doubt BCCI could have requested for resting Anderson to restore its face

Posted by   on (December 18, 2012, 13:54 GMT)

dhoni should make a public apology from indian fans like me who find it tough even to comment. sachin sir its time for you to go and same for sehwag and zak. ashwin should be out as irfan was put out when he did not perform with ball . and at last , cook won my heart. he is pure master class to watch. best opener after hayden

Posted by jb633 on (December 18, 2012, 13:51 GMT)

@baghela-s.a- hhaah what on earth has preferring test cricket got to do with Victorian snobbery. British people prefer test cricket because it shows who is mentally and physically strong. To compete over that length of time at the intensity only a test match can produce shows who is "man or mouse". Mickey mouse or circus cricket is played only by those who do not have the mental strenth to play the longer format. A prime example being Kieron Pollard. In test match cricket generally the best side will win as over 5 days skill will out. You guys stick to your circus stuff as you don't have the metal for test match cricket.

Posted by Tigg on (December 18, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

Is this a subtle way of getting Trott out of the ODI squad? With Bell doing so well as opener, and KP doing the same before 'the incident' a top three of Cook, Bell and KP provides a lot of class. Also gives a chance for Morgan, Bairstow and probably Samit at 4,5,6 to give it some welly in the last 15 overs.

Posted by riprock on (December 18, 2012, 13:26 GMT)

Looks like Swann's exclusion from the ODI squad isn't worth a mention in this article or it's headline

Posted by baghels.a on (December 18, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

@ jmcilhinney , your comments are spot on regarding How Indian fans find it insulting when they hear condescending comments about India's preference for shorter formats @Hammond you might not be watching any football codes but younger generation of your countrymen do watch English Premier league with great fervour on Fox Sports plus already existing AFL,NRL and other existing olympic sports.In reaction to your comments India should stop playing test cricket , we might but not before thrashing Australia in the upcoming February series lol or perhaps vice versa would happen.I have seen the likes of you indulge in India bashing because you cannot come to terms with the fact BCCI is all powerful organisation with tremendous financial clout, listen cricket is a minority sports worlwide and we as a cricket community cannot afford to be liking or disliking a format.We have to appreciate all forms of the game.

Posted by Hammond on (December 18, 2012, 10:50 GMT)

@Aneek Saleh Mohammad- and vice versa, which is why India have now only won 5 out of the last 17 test matches they have played, and out of the 5 won 4 were against NZ and WI. India are spent as a test match nation, they should just stop playing test match cricket and leave it to the better test nations.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (December 18, 2012, 10:48 GMT)

@ electric_loco_WAP4 - barely 24hrs has passed since the Nagpur test and the ridiculous predictions and trolling has started again? Some people never learn!

Posted by natty_no_goals on (December 18, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

Anyone else reckon that playing in Mumbai at 19:00 on Dec 22nd is very late for a team that is meant to be home for Christmas?

Posted by Hammond on (December 18, 2012, 10:34 GMT)

@jmcilhinney- if that was truly the case why is Flower leaving now?

Posted by Hammond on (December 18, 2012, 10:03 GMT)

@electric_loco_WAP4- Anderson won't miss the odi series either. The real game has already been won by England. The rest is just icing for the sponsors.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 10:02 GMT)

@electric_loco_WAP4 on (December 18 2012, 09:42 AM GMT), it's scant hours after losing a home Test series and the chest-thumping has started anew as though it never happened. Those who went on about their 4-0 revenge before the Test series look rather stupid now, and here you are making big, bold statements before the ODI series.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 9:59 GMT)

Whatever an individual may think about the relative merits of each format of the game, the suggestion that England should send a second XI is simply not feasible. Players are being rested more and more so that is accepted more and more but even fans of lesser-ranked nations get shirty when they think that they are not being taken seriously enough to warrant the best players so can you imagine the furore if India was treated that way? I think that it would be justified too. England prioritises Test cricket no doubt but, even if some fans say that they don't take limited-overs cricket seriously, rest assured that the England management and players do.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 9:56 GMT)

@sachin_vvsfan on (December 18 2012, 07:07 AM GMT), India is a lot closer to England than Australia so that means that going home over Christmas is a far more practical proposition. The England players are so often not home much or at all over Christmas, I'm sure that they are all very keen to take this chance to be with their families for that period.

Posted by   on (December 18, 2012, 9:55 GMT)

Just goes to show the relative importance of test matches vs the shorter formats for the ECB. India does it the other way round, which is why they will win it easily.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 9:53 GMT)

@PanditCricketanand on (December 18 2012, 07:00 AM GMT), if Dhoni is removed as Test captain then I wouldn't be surprised if removal as Test keeper follows immediately or soon after. I admire his grit in Nagpur but I just don't see him as a Test cricketer although he's fantastic in the shorter forms.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (December 18, 2012, 9:49 GMT)

Interesting that the T20 squad was weakened by the loss of Broad yet they add a batsman. I guess it's only 2 games and they likely have enough bowlers anyway so that's reward for Root's excellent contribution in the final Test. Happy to see Woakes in the ODI squad. Hope he slots straight in for Broad and gets a good run. I notice Buttler is nominated as keeper for the T20 squad rather than Bairstow. It'll be interesting to see whether Kieswetter is supplanted in the ODI squad. I'm guessing not but the warmup games will be important for him. Presumably Patel and Tredwell will play so it'll be interesting to see if Briggs does too. If Bresnan doesn't impress in the warmups then I hope they go with Finn (if fit), Meaker and Woakes as the seamers but they'll probably pick Bresnan for his supposed batting again. Woakes is a better bat than Broad so hopefully Bresnan's batting is less important. ODI team for me: Cook, Bell, KP, Morgan, Bairstow, Patel, Woakes, Tredwell, Briggs, Meaker, Finn.

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (December 18, 2012, 9:42 GMT)

LOL..... Already scared of the merciless thrashing Anderson and co. are to get in the limited over series??.... Can't blame them ... all who saw Anderson and mates getting pasted in that glorious night in Bangalore against.......yes.... mighty Ireland will def. sympathize.... LOL. Doesn't help when you have county trundlers bowling on Indian pitches either.... and Eng have a bunch of them .... Anderson will def. not be missed...

Posted by Hammond on (December 18, 2012, 9:23 GMT)

@baghels.a- I'm Australian actually and couldn't spare a moment for any football code. Test cricket is the greatest sport in the world. Notice how I specified "Test"?

Posted by baghels.a on (December 18, 2012, 9:00 GMT)

@Chris Ward,Hammond you are right everybody here in India love there shorter formats and so does Pakistan,Sri Lanka, Newzealand and South Africa even shelved boxing day test matches to organise T-20 matches and three of them.We Indians don't have to feel apologetic about our love for shorter formats and we certainly don't need condescending and patronising comments from Englishmen thrusting Test cicket as the only pure format, actually this attitude reeks of Victorian snobbery and indicative of why cricket is so far behind Football in popularity stakes back in England. Here in India yes sometimes we are too much obssesed about Commercialisation and not actual perforrmance but atleast we Indians make cricketers feel like superstars not some poor country cousin trailing in the shadow of Wayne Roneey's and Steven Gerrads of the world....

Posted by   on (December 18, 2012, 8:57 GMT)

Why not try Varun Aaron he is fast

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (December 18, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

Agree with Hammond too. How long will it be before teams travel to India only for ODIs and Twenty20s? This is a golden opportunity to rest our first team and send in our A squad. We already had a feast, no big loss if we lose the crumbs.

Posted by CricketBirbal on (December 18, 2012, 8:31 GMT)

If I was ECB selector, I would withdraw Cook,Petersen,Bell and Finn. I would add some young talents from the Performance squad. They still have time to take these guys off on some pretext or the other.

Posted by CricketBirbal on (December 18, 2012, 8:28 GMT)

Instead of ODI's with England which is a waste, we could have had 3 test series with Pakistan.......... Come on Mr Srinivasan, Do not weigh everything in money. Having been on a test bashing mode from Eng and Aus the past 18 months, you still are worried about making money with ODI's. We cud have easily played 3 tests,3 ODI's and 2 T 20's with Pak from 25th Dec to 27th Jan. Atleast you would have had hungry fans from Pak and India watching all formats from all over the world. The Eng ODI's will only be watched by SOME Indian fans, that's all. Poor CORPORATE judgement I must say. Well, no wonder he runs a Cement Company "Ironically named INDIA CEMENTS and it lack of strength shows in the foundations of the Once Mighty TEAM INDIA!

Posted by   on (December 18, 2012, 8:23 GMT)

Agree with Hammond - no one cares about the ODIs except India. Change the whole squad, I reckon. Give some kids a look at playing in Indian conditions.

Posted by Hammond on (December 18, 2012, 7:57 GMT)

A worthless odi series that hardly anyone in the UK will be watching, a good time to blood young players in an easier format for test cricket later.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (December 18, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

I'm hoping Woakes gets on the plane to NZ and let Broad rest til the English season starts. Right now he looks a better 3rd seamer/#8 prospect than what Broad can bring to the side. Might as well give Bell a long paternity leave and give guys like Root and Bairstow a chance in NZ.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (December 18, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

"England play Twenty20 internationals on December 20 and 22 before returning home for Christmas and the New Year". Why so? They wouldn't go back if they were playing in Australia right? And why is this Pak series starting for us at home in the middle of Eng serie?s. This is all rubbish. Then Dhoni and srinivasan will come up with new excuse that our players are tired and we can take 'revenge' in IPL. Classic fail!!!

Posted by CricketBirbal on (December 18, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Why can't India too have a separate wicket keeper for tests only? Dhoni is good for ODI and T 20's only. We have plenty of alternatives in WK department for tests such as Parthiv Patel, W Saha, Ojha etc. They should definitely be tried against Australia. Similarly, we should try Shami Ahmed,Awana,Dinda against Aussies. Won't get a better chance as Australian setup also is young barring Clarke and Hussey.

Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013