England in India 2012-13

Bopara worth bearing in mind

Despite drifting into the wilderness, Ravi Bopara could still be the man England are looking for

George Dobell

January 17, 2013

Ravi Bopara will play for Chittagong Kings in the BPL, Dhaka, January 14, 2013
Strong performances for the Chittagong Kings could help put Ravi Bopara back on the path to international cricket again © Chittagong Kings

When he left the pitch after his dismissal in Pallekele with England's defence of their World T20 all but over, it seemed Ravi Bopara may not represent England again.

Devoid of confidence, Bopara's record in recent games has been not so much modest as agoraphobic: his last eight international innings have yielded two double figure scores - the best being 22 - and three ducks. World-weary, diffident and even sad, he has looked unrecognisable from the carefree player who had once scored centuries in three successive Tests.

But, as Bopara returns for Chittagong Kings in the next few days, it may be time for the England selectors to consider him once again for the ODI side.

England require an allrounder to balance the side. With five specialist batsmen (Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen and Eoin Morgan), four specialist bowlers (James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann and Steven Finn) and a wicketkeeper (to be decided) all highly likely to feature at start the Champions Trophy in five months, it is clear that they require someone who can reliably provide another 10 overs and bat in either defensive or offensive fashion. Bopara may yet be that man.

Samit Patel has made a decent claim for the position in the first two ODIs in India. His batting, in particular, appears well-suited to the role - he averages 37.00 in ODIs with a strike-rate of 95.62 - but concerns over his bowling linger. He has not taken a wicket in his last 10 ODIs and, in that time, has delivered 56 overs at a cost of 277 runs and only twice contributed a full 10-over allocation. While his ODI economy-rate, 5.42 overall, the effectiveness of his gentle left-arm spin on Indian pitches may well not be replicated on home pitches in June.

Bopara offers a viable alternative. His ODI economy-rate is an impressive 4.63 - better than Anderson or Broad - which drops to 3.23 in his last 11 ODIs as his well-controlled medium-pace has improved and, while his batting average, 30.62, and strike-rate, 75.68, are inferior to Patel's, it is worth noting that, at No. 6, Bopara's strike-rate rises to 90.90. As he showed with unbeaten innings of 45 in 16 balls against Bangladesh at Edgbaston made from No. 7 and 37 from 22 balls against India in Cardiff made from No. 5, he has the power and ranger of strokes to add late impetus to an innings. The selectors will not have forgotten his cultured innings of 60 against South Africa in a low-scoring game in the 2011 World Cup, either. It led to a victory and was one of the higher points for England in a dismal campaign.

He will need to prove he has rediscovered the ability to focus on his game but Bopara is still only 27 and should have the best part of his career in front of him.

But there is a sense that they may have lost patience with him. It is true that he has been on the periphery of the England sides for several years - he has played 118 international games for England across the three formats - without ever nailing down a position. It is true, too, that younger men have passed him in the struggle for a Test place. There are those who have concluded that Bopara is the sort to go missing under pressure; not so much the sort you want beside you in a trench, but opposite you in the enemy's trenches.

But it would be wrong to judge Bopara on the form he showed in the last few months of 2012. Troubled by matters off the pitch, he was unable to dedicate himself fully to his work and his performance suffered. He is better than the shuffling mess that was, against all logic, promoted to bat at No. 3 at Trent Bridge in September. While he will need to prove he has rediscovered the ability to focus on his game, he is still only 27 and should have the best part of his career in front of him.

There are other candidates. Chris Woakes, Luke Wright, Tim Bresnan and Ben Stokes are among those who might do a good job for England. The selectors may also decide that the wicketkeeper should bat at No. 6 and allow the inclusion of five specialist bowlers with Broad or Swann batting as high as No. 7. Bearing in mind that four of England's current top five in the ODI side - Trott, Pietersen, Cook, Morgan and Pietersen - currently feature in the top five of England's highest all-time ODI averages, then that may not be as big a risk at it appears at first glance. Bell and Patel feature in the top 16, too.

But, in English conditions, a seam-bowling allrounder capable of batting in the top seven will remain the preference. If Bopara can prove he has put his troubles behind him, he is worth bearing in mind.

Of more immediate concern to England ahead of the third ODI, for which Tim Bresnan will return to contention having recovered from bruising just above his knee, is how they bowl to MS Dhoni. England's assistant coach, Richard Halsall, said the side were frustrated that they had let match-defining opportunities slip away from them in the second ODI, but it might be more accurate to admit that Dhoni wrestled them away.

"At one stage they were 119 for 4, a great opportunity, and even when they made 285 we got to 60 for 1 after 10 overs and were thinking 'we are going to win this'," Halsall said. "The disappointment is that we created two very good opportunities to win a game of cricket in India, which is very hard to do, and we didn't take them. It was a heavy defeat and the lads were disappointed they didn't deliver."

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by xylo on (January 19, 2013, 4:27 GMT)

Bopara is England's modern day Ramprakash. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I would prefer Samit Patel over him!

Posted by disco_bob on (January 19, 2013, 3:09 GMT)

Bopara's mind is shot, much as was Mitchell Johnson's. He needs a year out of contention.

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (January 19, 2013, 2:08 GMT)

Maybe, maybe he could be useful in the ODI side, but please, never again in the test side. Tried that a few times, didnt work.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (January 19, 2013, 0:01 GMT)

Ravi is a quality batsman and last Ashes proved could bowl faster than Australia's main seam attack all by himself, although that can't have been particulary difficult. He has shown time and again with Essex that he's got the ability and strokeplay to be up there with the best in the world, but he hasn't fully taken his chances these last few years. Ravi, you're a great player, but Jonny Bairstow should be given the coverted England number 6 batting slot, and he deserves a long run there too just like you got. Bat up the order for Essex and take on Compton (even though Root is knocking at that no.2 door too) to fight your way back in. England is bulging with new young talent, adapt or stay in limbo Ravi.

Posted by phoenixsteve on (January 18, 2013, 22:44 GMT)

I hope that the 'powers that be' haven't given up on Ravi who everybody in the know recognises as a prodigious talent! Sure, he's struggled to break through and had his share of personal problems but the talent is there! maybe the promise of a prolonged stint in the team and encouraging words from collegues will do the trick? If England could pick there no 6 / all rounder from Bopara and Patel it could become a match winning spot? Goochie rates him as he did with Cook and that has proved to be highly beneficial for team England! I know there's a lot of young talent knocking at the door but I believe that Ravi's day will come? Hope so. COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Posted by JG2704 on (January 18, 2013, 22:03 GMT)

@Selassie-I on (January 18 2013, 11:14 AM GMT) Trouble is Swann (who is IMO our best shorter formats cricketer) is rested and Broad (when not injured) is not so consistent with the ball either. Also our 2 part timers (Patel and Root) have done better than all our full timers bar Tredwell.

Posted by tententen on (January 18, 2013, 18:45 GMT)

bopara is a good enough batsman and can deliver more than pie chuckers and is still 27. he souldnt have been dropped after the performances against australia

Posted by wibblewibble on (January 18, 2013, 18:44 GMT)

@shot274 - I close my eyes when Dernbach comes on to bowl. It drives me absolutely crazy how inconsistent he is, he seems to have real problems bowling at lefties, far too often his line is leg stump or wider, it's just too easy to glance off bat or glove to fine leg for 1 or 4.

His figures hide a lot of that, as any LBs because of his woeful line are not counted in his economy, so just the wides get counted.

I'm an Essex fan, and I love how Ravi plays, but with the best will in the world, he's unlikely to get a spot back in any team. He can play as well as anyone, but his problems are mental - he can only play well when his mind is fully concentrated on the cricket, and he can "see ball, hit ball", and he has a history of getting into slumps that he cannot get out off without going off and resting.

5 years ago I was sure we'd have Cook opening and Bopara first drop in all teams, so sad :(

Posted by CricketMaan on (January 18, 2013, 14:29 GMT)

He is what Rohit Sharma is to India and Kapugedara to SL. Enormous talent, gr8 records in domestic but nothing to boast at International Level.

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 18, 2013, 13:33 GMT)

Now what I want to see is KP bowling more. I know we have heard it all before but I think he is a good enough batsmen and has enough promise as a bowler that he should be able to spend some of his time with Swanny, Mushtaq, Monty Tredwell etc. If I remember correctly he started as an offspinner who could bat a bit? And I can't understand why everyone isn't excited at the prospect of Woakes I know he wasn't great in the last game but I would like to see him get an extended run as he impressed me when I first saw him in Oz and his batting just exploded in the second half of the County Championship last year. Don't think he did so good batting in List A but I think with time it will improve and 33 with the ball isn't too bad, his economy is ok as well, and he can nip it both ways I reckon he's worth a shot I would have him in the team instead of Bresnan or Bopara. (I also think with time he could be the all-rounder in tests Eng. need as well) And he is only 23 so he has time.

Posted by shot274 on (January 18, 2013, 13:19 GMT)

Bopara isnt the answer. Although the batting failed its the bowling which is a worry. Bits and pieces players never work on a regular basis. So whether Bopara, Bresnan or Wright play is not likely to make a difference. For a while now we have been giving high praise to Dernbach. With a career economy rate above 6 and a bowling average above 36 is he really such an automatic selection. Dhoni played wonderfully well but the death bowling was pretty woeful.Bopara will improve the batting-its the bowling though which needs addressing. Apart from Finn (and possibly Tredwell) the opposition can target the rest. You cant hide 30 overs!

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 18, 2013, 13:14 GMT)

2. Some players become a protected species when they join the set-up eg. Broad who 2 years ago looked like he could be the allrounder Eng. need so badly and (though I think he can bat) has just been awful with the bat since and doesn't seem to be concentrating on it anymore. I rate Swanny as a better batsman atm. Not an insult to Broad as Swanny is no mug with a bat I just don't think it can be said anymore the "Oh Broad can bat as well" line kinda like the "Oh Trotty and Bopara can bowl as well" line . At times since Broad has bowled well (The Pak series he was England's best seamer by a mile) but as of late his bowling seems shot as well. Bresnan just looks done since he has had surgery and I can't recall how much domestic cricket he has played since then (Not sure if he has had the opportunity) But I think that is what he needs though I can't see it happening as he is just automatic now when fit for some reason when he just looks so inept which dissapoints me as I like Bresnan.

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 18, 2013, 12:34 GMT)

For me England have 2 problems. 1. Trying to turn batsmen who obviously aren't all-rounders into bowling options. When Trott first came on the scene I don't think I saw him bowl at all for a while and when he started to it seemed to me it was just because they really didn't have many other options and now all of a sudden after 2 matches it was all oh Trott is good for a few. And now they are saying Bopara might be included as he offers a bowling option when previously he has only ever been selected as a batsmen. It's dissapointing for me that Patel hasn't really taken his chances by the scruff of the neck as I quite like him. Bairstow does look the goods but I would like to see him as the natural successor to Prior (Who I think should be keeper in all formats as he is the best Wicket Keeper batsmen in the world atm) AB might catch him but we will have to see how his back goes in the next 6 months. Though it looks like he might be giving up the ODI gloves soon if there new kid is ok

Posted by hadld88 on (January 18, 2013, 12:24 GMT)

Bopara cant just be given another chance because he can bowl dobblers in the middle overs, I'd much prefer to see Ben Stokes who bowls well (List A bowling avg of 15.04) and is a very good batsman who hits a very long ball. He got his chance in 2011 when he was well out of form and couldn't bowl due to injury but he was back bowling well at the end of last year and probably deserves a chance as much as anyone, I can see him in a few years pushing for a test place years when he becomes a more consistent batsman, batting no.4 at Chester-le-Street will either make or break him next year

Posted by jpeacock158 on (January 18, 2013, 11:59 GMT)

I think Bopara is a very good player, but how many chances do we give him? His technique is good, bowling an asset but he doesn't have the mental side for tough cricket. I would give Root, Stokes, Luke Wright or even pluck someone out such as Rory Hamilton-Brown once he feels ready, I'm sure the ECB keep a good eye on him for future selction anyway. Buttler is an option for ODI's as a finisher definately. There's plenty of talent to choose from now, and players (unlike Bopara) that wouldn't walk off sniggering after being dismissed!

Posted by Selassie-I on (January 18, 2013, 11:14 GMT)

Let's have specialist bowlers. Swanny can hold a bat, as can Broad - not that he shows it much these days.

Really we shouldn't be relying on no.7 for runs, although we want someone who can biff a 50 to finish or marshal some runs from the tail after a collapse.

Posted by jackiethepen on (January 18, 2013, 10:57 GMT)

Bopara looked shot. Not just a question of low scores. I think Flower and Gooch - and Cook - were pushing him too hard. Better for him to get away from this Essex trio. He ought to go to a different County club and build his career on his own abilities. How can playing T20 in Bangladesh provide the answers? He needs to back himself and fight like everyone else has to when they are dropped or out of form. It's very hard to be a favourite of the coach and for some it is a curse. Once he has recharged he might find Giles a new start without the pressure of Essex expectations. But he has to earn it.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 18, 2013, 10:56 GMT)

@satish619chandar on (January 18 2013, 07:20 AM GMT) I like the idea of you squeezing 6 genuine bowling options in there but who's keeping wicket? Also , no place for Tredwell? He has been (in Swann's absence) by far our most reliable bowler

@landl47 on (January 17 2013, 23:15 PM GMT) Re "The problem is that England's top 5 batsmen- Cook, Bell, Trott, KP and Morgan- don't bowl." - I suppose KP can bowl a few as can Trott but that's one reason why I would have Wright in the side. He can accelerate the run rate with the bat and can bowl a few overs of meduium fast. That way we have 2 spinners (Tredwell/Swann) , 2 pacers (Finn/Jimmy) and a spin option in Patel and a (fast/med) option in Wright.

Posted by Tigg on (January 18, 2013, 10:43 GMT)

I wish Bopara had become the player he seemed born to be, but alas I think his chance has passed.

I think horses for courses is the way to go. On a turner, you play Patel. If it's a good batting pitch you play Bresnan or Woakes as their weaker batting becomes the lesser issue and on a good seamer pitch you play Luke Wright who can finish and contribute some decent overs (his bowling is good enough for this role, it's just never really been trusted by any captains bar Collingwood).

Posted by Harlequin. on (January 18, 2013, 10:39 GMT)

And to those saying we should wait and see what he does in county/BPL; he will more than likely do well, in the same way that he was playing excellent county cricket before he started playing for England. When he is batting he looks like someone who needs to impose himself mentally on the opposition bowler in order to score runs, and whilst he is good enough to do that against county bowlers, I think international bowlers are too good for him to be able to dominate and so he has never been able to settle.

Posted by trav29 on (January 18, 2013, 10:23 GMT)

bopara needs to earn his way back into contention after all the events of last year , and any success he might have in a hit and giggle tournament in bangladesh against relatively low quality bowling isn't going to do that

i would much rather see us play our best XI players even if that compromised balance rather than compromise team selection by playing someone who hasn't earned a spot just because he fits some sort of theoretical profile

Posted by TheWorker on (January 18, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

@ satish619chandar. Good team. who is your wicketkeeper?

Posted by jmcilhinney on (January 18, 2013, 9:43 GMT)

Lack of all-rounders is certainly an issue for England, especially in limited-overs cricket. The way Bresnan's and Broad's batting seems to have gone backwards means looking for a batsman who can bowl is important. The fact that we're talking about Bopara again shows how important. I'd be very happy for Bopara to bat well enough to warrant a place because his bowling is better that it appears and is more than handy. I'm just not convinced that he's ever going to find the required consistency.

Posted by TripleCenturian on (January 18, 2013, 9:33 GMT)

Sorry George, but in this one you are way off the money. Bopara is another Hick or Ramprakash who lacks the mental strength at the top level and he had had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra already.

England have plenty of other options to turn to, some of whom you mention in your article. Woakes, Wright, Root, Patel, Stokes are all more worthy contenders depending on conditions and team balance.

Not sure I agree with the poster below suggesting Hales as you are looking at an all rounder here for team balance and Hales bowling is probably on a par with mine these days!

Posted by bkempster on (January 18, 2013, 8:17 GMT)

Dear God, no! Time. To. Move. On.

Posted by satish619chandar on (January 18, 2013, 7:20 GMT)

I wouldn't think too much on including Bopara to fill in the gap in the middle order. For me, the starting 11 would be, Cook, Bell, Trott, KP, Morgan, Samit, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Finn. Swanny is my prime spinner and Samit will aid him in middle overs if spin is req.

Posted by Whatsgoinoffoutthere on (January 18, 2013, 7:17 GMT)

@ reghuh - Forgive me if I'm being a bit slow, but are you suggesting that India should consider not playing Ishant Sharma? ;)

Bopara has had a lot of chances and hasn't nailed down a place, but I think we should (a) forget his last few games, and (b) remember that if there was someone to get moved in the batting order, it was him that did it. I wouldn't want to see him in the starting XI, but having him in the squad is a good idea. I'm still hoping that Root gets enough chances with bat and ball to prove he can hold down a regular place as an allrounder. He might be of unknown pedigree as a bowler, but he has impressed so far and if he carries on this way we could be looking at Alistair Cook's successor as captain. I know that's looking a bit too far into the future, but you can always hope for an easy answer can't you?

Bresnan looks like a bloke who needs a break. I'd seriously consider Bairstow as ODI keeper (although I say that having never seen him keep wicket).

Posted by garrym on (January 18, 2013, 5:58 GMT)

Cant agree George; I think his days are over. An extended run has given Patel the confidence he lacked so no reason to look elsewhere at present.

Posted by ultimatewarrior on (January 18, 2013, 5:34 GMT)

Ravi Bopara is a good option at 6 but why the hell they are ignoring Alex Hale.......Now days a player will be rare of rarest gems who is playing all 3 formats with equivalent authority like KP...but it is also true almost every body can play any 2 formats with authority, so I can't understand why various cricket boards are looking for few players to be limited for JUST ONE FORMAT.....Maximum Players should be given sufficient chances in any 2 formats looking upon his performance, rare can be limited to 1 format and rarest can be format free players.......

Posted by Klgn on (January 17, 2013, 23:58 GMT)

Bopara and Sumit Patel both are key players for England. Both should believe in self and perform with patience. England should show aggressiveness and play better cricket than India to win matches.

Posted by landl47 on (January 17, 2013, 23:15 GMT)

England does need a genuine #7 who can (indeed must) bowl 10 overs. The problem is that England's top 5 batsmen- Cook, Bell, Trott, KP and Morgan- don't bowl. With the W/K that means there are only 5 bowling slots. Other teams such as India or Pakistan have batsmen who can bowl economically and they can therefore play a side with 6 serviceable bowlers. If England is reduced to using Trott or KP they're in trouble, hence the need for a real bowler at #7.

Bopara comes and goes, with good games or even good series followed by disappointments- he's not reliable. Patel can scrape by as a bowler, but 10 overs guaranteed is a stretch. Bresnan and Tredwell aren't #7 batsmen. Wright and Woakes aren't accurate and fast enough respectively, though each might be good for a few overs. Stokes isn't ready yet.

Maybe the time has come to sacrifice one of the batsmen for the sake of balance. England managed without Trott all right in the first ODI. Perhaps that should be a permanent change.

Posted by deol84 on (January 17, 2013, 21:11 GMT)

how many more chances for bopara,he is not really for international cricket and should not be considerd for england.england given him plenty of chances but he didn't make most of it.

Posted by PanGlupek on (January 17, 2013, 21:10 GMT)

@Wayne Perry, Yeah, I've often wondered what Trego has to do to get a mention as on ODI/T20 call-up option.

As for Bopara, he's way down the pecking order for me right now. His bowling is very useful, even under-rated, but not really good enough to be picked as a specialist. He was rightly dropped for poor form last summer - If I remember rightly, he just gave it away doing something silly time & time again. Technique looks perfectly good enough, but mindset?

He'd need a good IPL (if he manages to get signed), or lots of runs against a strong county, plus people like Patel, Buttler, Kieswetter, Stokes & Woakes not do much, if he's to get back in.

Posted by reghuh on (January 17, 2013, 20:50 GMT)

India should focus on atleast any one of the 5 major things if they should not falter any more in this series and in future ODI's 1) Drop Ishant Sharma OR 2) Field a team without Ishant Sharma OR 3)Make Ishant Sharma the XIIth man/drinks man OR 4) Rest Ishant Sharma OR 5) Give chance to some bowler other than Ishant Sharma

Posted by AndyZaltzmannsHair on (January 17, 2013, 20:49 GMT)

Problem Bopara has now is that Eng will struggle to get his overs in the middle part of an ODI, now you can only have 4 fielders on the boundary. Specialist bowlers are required. So he has to play now as a frontline batsman in the top 6. Is he one of the best top 6 in the country. I doubt it. He's a nice guy Bopara, but he struggles and doesn't know his identity in ODI cricket.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 17, 2013, 20:47 GMT)

My full strength Eng side right now would look something like this Bell,Cook,KP,Wright,Morgan,Buttler (wk),Patel,Swann,Tredwell,Jimmy,Finn . Patel was looking dodgy but has performed well in the 2 ODIs. I know many would have Trott in there but I don't like Trott,Bell and Cook in the same ODI side. It would have been a toss up between Wright and Hales but Wright can bowl some medium/fast stuff so it gives us an extra option in that dept.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 17, 2013, 20:39 GMT)

I'm not as dismissive as the 5 commentors so far of Bopara but have to say Mr Dobell , I think you're jumping the gun a bit talking about Bopara. I would say it's sensible to wait to see how Ravi does in any form of cricket in any country before we even think about playing him. Also he should definitely play well down the order as he seems to stifle the run rate equally with bat in hand as ball in hand. If he was to return I'd see him as a bowling all rounder. Having said that Patel has run into a bit of form in that role so.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 17, 2013, 20:39 GMT)

@Wayne Perry on (January 17 2013, 17:49 PM GMT) Trego with the ball has been consistent this year. With the bat he's been very hit and miss. I think for much of this season he's tried to play too responsibly but when he plays with freedom he can be a very destructive player. Another all rounder I like is Kent's Darren Stevens who bowls slower stuff but always seems to contribute with either bat or ball. Both may be a little old for Eng to want to bring into the set up and I'm sure they'll be looking more at younger guys like Stokes. BTW - No place for Tredwell in your side or even squad? I'd prefer at least 2 frontline spinners plus a part timer

Posted by Tumo on (January 17, 2013, 20:28 GMT)

No, Bopara is NOT worth bearing in mind. Ever. He's had so many chances, and shown to be wanting so many times. Bowling also distinctly mediocre. Just no, please.

Posted by JohnDR on (January 17, 2013, 20:15 GMT)

I entirely agree with the previous comments. Bopara has had so many chances and proved conclusively that he is not up to the task. He may do well for ann odd game, but we need to be looking for someone who can help the team go forward over the next few years, and he doesn't have the consistancy for that.

Two questions :

- why do some people (e.g. Bopara) get chance after chance after chance, and others get discarded after a one game or two ? Why are we thining of going back to Bopara when we haven't given Bairstow a fair chance to prove himself ?

- if the County Championship is supposed to be the best first-calss competition in the world, how is it that there is always so much uncertainty when a replacement is needed ? Surely the CC shoul identify clearly and without doubt who has got what it takes.

Posted by threeslipsandagully on (January 17, 2013, 19:01 GMT)

Bopara has proved time and time again that he is not cut out for international cricket, having failed to capitalise on any of the repeated chances the England selectors have given him to prove himself. The only thing he does consistently is fail to convert starts, and for a player selected on the strength of his batting to have failed to score a single century in 77 ODI innings is very poor indeed. It's extremely frustrating that a player who has proved on repeated occasions that he is not good enough for international cricket is still talked about as a potential selection.

Posted by Evilpengwinz on (January 17, 2013, 18:49 GMT)

Oh God, please don't bring Bopara back.

Posted by Mattzo12 on (January 17, 2013, 18:49 GMT)

I am quite content with Bopara being no where near any England side. He doesn't perform consistantly enough...

Posted by John-Price on (January 17, 2013, 18:11 GMT)

Bopara is not a real bowler - he has a test average of 290. If England used him as a regular ODI bowler he would be worked out, targeted and taken apart.

Posted by   on (January 17, 2013, 17:49 GMT)

Nah Bopara isn't the missing link for me, he is essentially a batsman that bowls. I personally think that Peter Trego for the last season or so has been the best possible seam-bowling all-rounder to could fill that # 7 role competently for England, much better than woakes, bresnan.

England need at least 5 strong bowlers in odi's - with a luxury 6th option. Most of the great odi's team in history operate with this balance.

So i'm thinking when Trott returns he may have to be sacrificed & Patel should be given more batting responsibility in ODIs. Also Kieswetter although im a big fan is still a bit hit & miss & if he doesn't come big in the final 3 odi's then bairstow or buttler will have to be seriously considered to take over as odi keeper.

So best ENG ODI TEAM: Cook, Bell, KP, Bairstow, Morgan, Patel, Trego, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn...backups - Trott, Dernbach/Meaker, Hales/Buttler, Woakes.

George DobellClose
Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013