|South Africa 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|G Kirsten||c Astle b Allott||128||361||282||15||0||45.39|
|HH Gibbs||b Vettori||34||97||64||4||0||53.12|
|JH Kallis||lbw b Doull||7||35||29||1||0||24.13|
|DJ Cullinan||not out||275||658||490||27||2||56.12|
|WJ Cronje*||c Allott b Harris||30||108||83||4||0||36.14|
|JN Rhodes||c Twose b Harris||63||165||135||9||0||46.66|
|SM Pollock||not out||69||155||120||9||1||57.50|
|Extras||(b 6, lb 7, nb 2)||15|
|Total||(5 wickets dec; 200.1 overs)||621||(3.10 runs per over)|
|New Zealand 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|RG Twose||c †Boucher b Donald||31||120||83||4||1||37.34|
|MJ Horne||b Adams||93||314||225||13||0||41.33|
|NJ Astle||c †Boucher b Donald||41||107||82||6||2||50.00|
|CD McMillan||c †Boucher b Cronje||25||80||69||4||0||36.23|
|CZ Harris||not out||68||348||235||6||0||28.93|
|AC Parore†||b Pollock||9||68||54||1||0||16.66|
|MD Bell||b Klusener||6||53||43||1||0||13.95|
|DJ Nash*||c †Boucher b Klusener||1||7||2||0||0||50.00|
|DL Vettori||c Cronje b Adams||32||70||74||4||0||43.24|
|SB Doull||c Gibbs b Adams||17||39||26||2||1||65.38|
|GI Allott||c Pollock b Kallis||0||101||77||0||0||0.00|
|Extras||(lb 21, w 2, nb 6)||29|
|Total||(all out; 160.4 overs)||352||(2.19 runs per over)|
|New Zealand 2nd innings (following on)||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|MJ Horne||b Adams||60||168||121||11||0||49.58|
|MD Bell||c Donald b Pollock||6||35||25||1||0||24.00|
|RG Twose||c Cullinan b Klusener||65||239||185||6||4||35.13|
|NJ Astle||not out||69||172||130||12||1||53.07|
|CD McMillan||not out||22||65||48||4||0||45.83|
|Extras||(b 13, lb 2, w 2, nb 5)||22|
|Total||(3 wickets; 84 overs)||244||(2.90 runs per over)|
- Lunch: South Africa 71/0 (Kirsten 35*, Gibbs 33*; 21.1 overs)
- Tea: South Africa 135/2 (Kirsten 62*, Cullinan 24*; 45 overs)
- South Africa 1st innings: 50 off 95 balls, 69 minutes; 100 off 223 balls, 144 minutes; 150 off 294 balls, 191 minutes. 200 off 391 balls, 247 minutes.
- G Kirsten: 50 off 108 balls, 138 minutes, 4x4. 100 off 214 balls, 266 minutes, 10x4, 9th Test 100. He equals the most number of individual Test centuries scored for South Africa with AD Nourse.
- DJ Cullinan: 50 off 79 balls, 94 minutes, 8x4.
- G Kirsten and HH Gibbs 1st wicket partnership: 50 off 95 balls, 69 minutes.
- G Kirsten and DJ Cullinan 3rd wicket partnership: 50 off 94 balls, 54 minutes, 100 off 190 balls, 112 minutes.
- Rain delayed play at 12:00pm. Lunch taken 30 minutes early.
- Rain delayed play at 1:27pm for 56 minutes.
- Rain delayed play at 2:58pm for 6 minutes. Tea delayed until 3:40 due to rain. Stumps extended to 6:30pm.
- Rain delayed play at 5:55pm for 14 minutes.
- Lunch: South Africa 352/3 (Cullinan 142*, Cronje 30*; 117 overs)
- Tea: South Africa 416/4 (Cullinan 171*, Rhodes 35*; 152 overs)
- South Africa 1st innings: 250 off 492 balls, 316 minutes; 300 off 598 balls, 395 minutes; 350 off 694 balls, 455 minutes; 400 off 827 balls, 534 minutes; 450 off 954 balls, 605 minutes; 500 off 999 balls, 640 minutes; 550 off 1094 balls, 711 minutes.
- DJ Cullinan: 100 off 176 balls, 217 minutes, 13x4, 1x6, 7th Test 100. 150 off 271 balls, 358 minutes, 18x4, 1x6; 200 off 384 balls, 474 minutes, 22x4, 1x6.
- JN Rhodes: 50 off 121 balls, 74 minutes, 7x4, 12th Test 50.
- G Kirsten and DJ Cullinan 3rd wicket partnership: 150 off 289 balls, 177 minutes. 183 off 356 balls, 227 minutes. It is a record 3rd wicket partnership in Tests for South Africa against New Zealand (previous best: 112 between DJ McGlew and RA McLean at Johannesburg in 1961-62).
- DJ Cullinan and WJ Cronje 4th wicket partnership: 50 off 89 balls, 62 minutes.
- DJ Cullinan and JN Rhodes 5th wicket partnership: 50 off 128 balls, 74 minutes; 100 off 238 balls, 137 minutes. 141 is a record 5th wicket partnership in Tests for South Africa against New Zealand (previous best: 130 between WR Endean and JE Cheetham at Auckland in 1952-53).
- DJ Cullinan and SM Pollock 6th wicket partnership: 50 off 101 balls, 72 minutes.
- Due to 51 minutes play lost on day one, play began 30 minutes early at 10:00am and was extended 30 minutes to 6:00pm.
- Attendance: 4006.
- Lunch: New Zealand 40/0 (Twose 14*, Horne 23*; 12 overs)
- Tea: New Zealand 106/1 (Horne 60*, Astle 5*; 44 overs)
- South Africa 1st innings: 600 off 1165 balls, 766 minutes. 621/5 dec is the highest innings total in Tests for South Africa against New Zealand (previous best: 524/8 dec at Wellington in 1952-53). It is their 2nd highest ever innings total in Tests (best: 622/9 dec v Australia at Durban in 1969-70). It is the highest innings total in Tests at Eden Park, Auckland (previous best: 616/5 dec by Pakistan v New Zealand in 1988-89). It is the 2nd highest innings total in Tests against New Zealand (best: 660/5 dec by West Indies at Wellington in 1994-95). It is the 3rd highest Test, and 11th highest first-class innings total scored in New Zealand.
- DJ Cullinan: 250 off 449 balls, 611 minutes, 26x4, 2x6. 275* off 491 balls, 659 minutes, 27x4, 2x6. It is his best Test innings (previous best: 168 v West Indies at Cape Town in 1998-99). It is the best individual innings in Tests for South Africa against New Zealand (previous best: 255* by DJ McGlew at Wellington in 1952-53). It is the 10th double century in Tests scored by a South African, and he is the 8th South African to do so. It is the best individual innings in Tests for South Africa (previous best: 274 by RG Pollock v Australia at Durban in 1969-70). It is the longest individual innings by a South African in Tests (in terms of minutes), and the longest individual first-class innings at Eden Park, Auckland. It is the 5th Test double century at the ground, and 2nd highest individual Test innings there (best: 336* by WR Hammond for England v New Zealand in 1932-33) and 3rd highest individual first-class innings there (best: Hammond above, 284 by WM Woodfull for Australia v New Zealand in 1927-28 [prior to New Zealand gaining Test status], also: 275 by B Sutcliffe for Otago v Auckland in 1950-51).
- SM Pollock: 50 off 94 balls, 113 minutes, 6x4, 1x6, 6th Test 50.
- DJ Cullinan and SM Pollock 6th wicket partnership: 100 off 163 balls, 125 minutes. 126* is a record 6th wicket partnership in Tests for South Africa against New Zealand (previous best: 83 between KC Bland and ARA Lindsay at Auckland in 1963-64).
- New Zealand 1st innings: 50 off 107 balls, 74 minutes; 100 off 261 balls, 173 minutes; 150 off 315 balls, 205 minutes; 200 off 431 balls, 295 minutes.
- MJ Horne: 50 off 117 balls, 151 minutes, 7x4, 4th Test 50.
- RG Twose and MJ Horne 1st wicket partnership: 50 off 107 balls, 74 minutes.
- MJ Horne and NJ Astle 2nd wicket partnership: 50 off 106 balls, 62 minutes. 90 is a record 2nd wicket partnership in Tests for New Zealand against South Africa (previous best: 72 between DJ Murray and SP Fleming at Johannesburg in 1994-95).
- To make up for lost time due to rain on day one, play started 6 minutes early at 10:24am.