Sehwag's total dominance
Virender Sehwag was utterly ruthless in his demolition of West Indies in Indore
There were stats highlights galore in Indore today, dominated obviously by the highest individual ODI score ever. Here are the other main numbers:
- Virender Sehwag finished with 219 from 149 balls, at a strike rate of 146.97. Only five times has a 150-plus score been made at a better rate.
- The innings included 25 fours and seven sixes, which means 142 runs came in boundaries. Only once has a batsman scored more runs in fours and sixes in an ODI: Shane Watson struck 15 fours and as many sixes in his unbeaten 185 against Bangladesh earlier in 2011, which means 150 of his runs came in boundaries. (Click here for the full list of most boundary runs in an innings.)
- Sachin Tendulkar struck exactly 25 fours too in his unbeaten 200 in Gwalior. No batsman has hit more fours in an ODI innings.
- A break-up of his innings shows that he never dropped below fourth gear. His first 50 came at the end of the 15th over, but that's also partially because he didn't get much strike during that period. He reached his fifty with a six, to go from 49 to 55, and thereafter he needed only 28 deliveries to move from 56 to 101. He reached his century in the 23rd over, his 150 in the 36th, and his 200 in the 44th. His last 68 runs came off a mere 37 balls, and included nine fours, two sixes, and seven dot balls.
Sehwag's journey to 219 Runs Balls Strike rate 4s/ 6s Dot balls 0-55 41 134.15 3/ 4 17 56-101 28 164.28 7/ 1 8 102-151 43 116.28 6/ 0 13 152-201 28 178.57 7/ 1 5 202-219 9 200.00 2/ 1 2
- Sehwag scored at more than a run a ball against all the bowlers that he faced. He relished Kieron Pollard and Andre Russell more than the rest, but a measure of his dominance can be gleaned from the fact that the most economical bowler against him was Ravi Rampaul, and even he went for 30 from 25 balls.
Sehwag against each bowler Bowler Runs Balls Strike rate 4s/ 6s Kieron Pollard 33 19 173.68 4/ 1 Andre Russell 37 22 168.18 4/ 2 Marlon Samuels 42 29 144.82 6/ 0 Darren Sammy 13 9 144.44 0/ 1 Sunil Narine 33 23 143.47 3/ 2 Kemar Roach 31 22 140.90 4/ 1 Ravi Rampaul 30 25 120.00 4/ 0
- Thanks to Sehwag's blitz, India finished with their highest ODI total, and the joint fourth-highest by any side. It's also the tenth 400-plus total in ODIs, of which India have contributed four.
S Rajesh is stats editor of ESPNcricinfo. Follow him on Twitter
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.