West Indies in India 2013-14 October 23, 2013

'I am more experienced now' - Powell

Renaldo Matadeen

Kieran Powell believes that his experience and maturity as a batsman will be a key factor in the upcoming tour of India, as he looks to bolster West Indies' batting ranks. Powell, who made 61 from three innings during West Indies A's recent tour of India, said that despite the difficult conditions in the subcontinent, West Indies had the adaptability within the team to succeed.

"India is a difficult place to bat but it's good once you can utilize the conditions there. It's about adapting quickly. The upcoming tour is much different to the first time I toured India because now I have more experience," Powell said. "I also had more responsibility playing and leading the A team here last month (in the limited-overs games) and seeing that the pitches had more grass, I think I know what to expect.

"I made 80 last time I was on the Mumbai pitch and it's a lot of good memories. It's a wonderful place to bat and it's extra special with Sachin's (Tendulkar) farewell. The pitch can be a bit flat but mostly, it's batsman friendly."

Powell admitted that his development from a middle-order batsman to an opener was going according to plan, but that he needed a bit more consistency. "It should be interesting to look to the matches ahead with more games now under my belt," he said. "But also, I can't wait to bat with Shiv [Chanderpaul] and I hope we both have wonderful tours and rack up a few centuries."

Chanderpaul will be playing his 150th Test in Mumbai and Powell said that the Guyana batsman would be the crucial element in gluing the batsmen together.

"It's always a pleasure to bat with and learn from Shiv. His 150th match is a great achievement and as a batsman, he's one of the best to take notes from. He is critical to our motives in India."

Powell said that batting first and putting India under pressure, would be crucial to their chances in the series, and he placed full faith in his bowlers to do the job.

"Getting big scores and pegging India on the back foot is ideal. I know (Shane) Shillingford is going to be a big player with his spin and I'm always at short-leg for him and busy.

"He keeps batters so aware and he's a great find for us. He's moving from strength to strength also and will be troubling. The pitches are tailored for him I think."

Renaldo Matadeen is a sportswriter and social media manager for ESPN Caribbean. He tweets here

• on October 23, 2013, 12:56 GMT

Of all the young players that have come on the scene in recent years, Powell looks like he's the only one that has really progressed well into Test Cricket. Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo and Adrian Barath had the potential to truly breakthrough into a world class top order batsman, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way. Where Simmo and Barath have faded, Bravo is still in the picture but has still yet to truly convince. Powell is our best young player at the moment and Marlon Samuels has finally established himself into a Senior Middle order batsman. For the Windies to pose any competitive chance against India, in their own backyard, runs on the board is crucial. The key for me is whether the Windies has the bowling attack that can get 20 wickets against India's formidable batting line-up in Sub-Continential conditions?...my head says no, but my heart is hoping.

• on October 24, 2013, 23:14 GMT

I read ARJa's comments which in my opinion is rich in facts.The lure of money has attracted many players to play for other teams, compromising loyalty to their nation. In the recent competition in India,both Pollard and Bravo played against T&T.These are world class players who could have made a huge difference to T&T's position in the competition.But there is another side to this story,Cricketers in the WI have from time to time encountered problems with officials of the cricket board,we saw the Chris Gayle issue,then for no reason the greatest playing batsman of the Caribbean, Shiv Chanderpaul was given a hard time.Today he is not even considered for ODI. So I don't blame these young players. Youth will not last forever,do what you think is the best for your future.

• aclarity on October 24, 2013, 11:14 GMT

Powell, I honestly wish you well. You look much better when you move your feet to the spinners; however, not because you use your feet you must play a big shot. Too many times you have done that and got caught at mid -wicket or long on. Remember, moving your feet puts you at an advantage for getting a single with a defensive shot. Don't play the big one if it isn't there.

• ARJa on October 24, 2013, 5:50 GMT

I am not a fan of the Indian team at all. But I honestly believe West Indies would lose this series comfortably because their lack of preparation and extreme interest towards money in the franchised T20 games. It is not a question of lack of talent. It is just lack of interest. Clear example was the champions league when Bravo and Pollard decided to play for Indian Clubs instead of Trinidad and Tobago. We should not forget that T&T is not like other teams in the tournament. They are a nation where as other were just teams. These two people represented India against their own country just for money, when Sangakkara represented Kandurata Maroons without bending for Hyderabad's money. That's the difference. That is why Indian Cricket developed. Its true that India have money. But the true reason behind their success is the strong sense of nationality which runs in their blood. That doesn't exist for the Windies anymore. If it did, they should be in the top 3 teams in the world.

• westindiesupporter on October 24, 2013, 0:00 GMT

I hope west indies win the series against India. Rally round the west indies. They just need to get the top order out as in test cricket India's middle order is very fragile.

• on October 23, 2013, 15:58 GMT

I want to wish the West Indies cricket team much success in India.I know that we have what it takes to get the job done.

• BRUTALANALYST on October 23, 2013, 15:19 GMT

I think Edwards should open with Gayle and Powell replace Darren Bravo at 3/4

• bumble23 on October 23, 2013, 12:22 GMT

This comment sounds like ishant sharma claiming to be the spearhead of the pace attack:) Nowadays ordinary cricketers dont show their skill on the field instead they only talk rubbish.

• on October 23, 2013, 11:19 GMT

Where is Sunil Narine ?

• SNIFFLEATHER on October 23, 2013, 9:51 GMT

Recent experience in India will certainly assist the transition for several of the West Indies players. Gayle, Bravo, Samuels and Chanderpaul know the pitches from previous tours too, so the batsmen should be able to adjust accordingly. The bowlers will have to be disciplined - that, I feel, is the key.

• on October 23, 2013, 12:56 GMT

• on October 24, 2013, 23:14 GMT

• aclarity on October 24, 2013, 11:14 GMT

• ARJa on October 24, 2013, 5:50 GMT

• westindiesupporter on October 24, 2013, 0:00 GMT

• on October 23, 2013, 15:58 GMT

• BRUTALANALYST on October 23, 2013, 15:19 GMT

I think Edwards should open with Gayle and Powell replace Darren Bravo at 3/4

• bumble23 on October 23, 2013, 12:22 GMT

• on October 23, 2013, 11:19 GMT

Where is Sunil Narine ?

• SNIFFLEATHER on October 23, 2013, 9:51 GMT

• on October 23, 2013, 9:42 GMT

This would be Chanderpaul's last test series in India...

• on October 23, 2013, 9:42 GMT

This would be Chanderpaul's last test series in India...

• SNIFFLEATHER on October 23, 2013, 9:51 GMT