India v West Indies, 1st Test, Kolkata, 2nd day

'I knew there will be a time when the runs will flow' - Rohit

Sidharth Monga at Eden Gardens

November 7, 2013

Rohit Sharma drives down the ground, India v West Indies, 1st Test, Kolkata, 2nd day, November 7, 2013
Rohit Sharma when asked to rate his ODI double century against his ton on Test debut: "Both these innings are very close to my heart. Let's hope that we can get into a good position tomorrow, and then I'd be more happy." © BCCI

In less than a week, Rohit Sharma has joined most of India's batting elite. On Saturday in Bangalore, he said hello to Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in the ODI double-century club, hitting 16 sixes in the innings.

Five days later, in Kolkata, he took 165 deliveries before he even lofted the ball in the air, and joined Sourav Ganguly, Sehwag, Gundappa Vishwanath, Mohammad Azharuddin and recently Shikhar Dhawan as those with a century on Test debut. What makes this innings really special is that he has been yearning for the chance in Tests for a few years now, coming close - he was once listed to play in 2010 but injured himself moments before the toss - but not getting to put that white India shirt on. However, he couldn't say what satisfied him more: the Bangalore double or this century on debut when India were struggling at 82 for 4 in response to West Indies' 234.

"I cannot really say," Rohit said. "That was a 200, really special. And this is even more special because it's a Test hundred on debut. See, anywhere you get a hundred, it's very special. And on top of that if your team wins, that's like the icing on the cake. We've got to wait another three days to see what happens in the game. Both these innings are very close to my heart. With that innings in Bangalore we won the series, and here... let's hope that we can get into a good position tomorrow, and then I'd be more happy."

This has been an exceptional year for Rohit. He has led Mumbai Indians to the IPL and Champions League T20 titles, has transformed his career by opening in ODIs, and now has had a dream Test debut. This time last year he was licking his wounds from a disastrous ODI series in Sri Lanka, which somehow cost him the Test place that should have been his after the retirements of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman. How did he turn the corner?

"Being a sportsman, there is a lot of inspiration to take from so many sportspersons from around the world," Rohit said. "You look at Michael Hussey, he made his debut when he was 30. There are a lot of other cricketers who had to wait for their opportunity. I'm no different, I'm one of them. I knew once I got an opportunity, I'd try and make the most of it. I never wanted to put my head down, I believe that if you have the ability, the talent, if you know you can do it, there is no need to worry about anything.

"There was this phase when things were not going my way. But I never put my head down, I just wanted to focus because I knew there will be a time when the runs will flow. I just waited, waited... kept working on my game very hard. Yes, today I'm really happy with what's happened."

This was not a freebie century from 400 from 4. Rohit had to fight hard for every single of his initial runs. India were struggling, the ball was turning, and West Indies were on top when Virat Kohli was the fifth man out. "See, they were bowling quite well when we lost five early wickets," Rohit said. "We wanted to build partnerships then, but they were bowling very well so we just thought we've got to respect these bowlers who were bowling in tandem. The five-ten overs of Shillingford and the bowler at the other end were very important, so we just thought that we needed to stick there, and that once we get in, we can capitalise later when the bowlers get tired. That's exactly what happened at the end of the day."

He spoke about the innings with the same maturity that he played it with. "They were varying their pace so when I and MS [Dhoni] were batting runs were not really coming so easily," Rohit said. "So we just had a plan of negotiating these overs and as I said, we had to stick [to] whatever we'd decided and then capitalise when the day was coming to an end. I knew this exactly because the outfield here is very fast so you just need to play your normal cricket. After MS got out, me and Ashwin had a really good partnership. At Eden Gardens, if you just can manage those few initial overs, thereafter it becomes... I wouldn't say easy but you get a lot of run-scoring opportunities." And Rohit knows from personal experience. He made his first-class debut here and scored a century. He started captaining Mumbai Indians here, and won the IPL final here.

The same maturity was evident when he was asked to talk about the earlier near-misses. "Whenever it happens, you've got to be proud, you've got to take that," Rohit said. "I was really disappointed with what happened in 2010, but now I just wanted to focus on what was happening at the moment, so my focus was on this Test match, and I was really happy.

Whether it came after three years, it doesn't matter. Finally, it came. So I'm really happy. I was really happy yesterday, and obviously on this magnificent day today, I'm happier. But it's not done, we've got a game on our hands. So we just need to be focused. Tomorrow would be another crucial day. If we can bat till about lunch, maybe a few more overs after lunch, we can get some good lead and try and put them under pressure."

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Posted by JustIPL on (November 9, 2013, 17:36 GMT)

Tendulkar can retire on 199 emulating the great don who had an average of 99 but he has to decide as still he has a chance and if he gets out for cheap in his last test then it will be a sorry tale.

Posted by CricketFanIndUS on (November 9, 2013, 16:46 GMT)

Fantastic Rohit for the 177 runs and the MOM award on debut! The way he was playing on the third day, a double century was inevitable, but for the incorrect lbw, but still the second best debut for India is good enough(in terms of stats). Good luck in the second test as early reports indicate that it will be a slightly better batting pitch than this one. All the best in your development. Even the greatest modern day batsmen had to learn a lot after breaking into test cricket. His stellar domestic first class record does not preclude the need for this learning. This goes for all our young batsmen: Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, and Rohit. They have so much to learn still to stamp their authority, learning to handle different types of wickets and conditions, learning to play overseas, learning to master the top bowlers in international cricket. Of course they will face lots of tests and some failures, but sensible fans will be able to see through that and enjoy the maturing of our young batsmen.

Posted by swarzi on (November 8, 2013, 18:44 GMT)

Dhruv Sharma, I know that it's school boy cricket/bowling that Sachin really loves. However, I was speaking about serious professional cricket. It's the Bangladeshi school boys he really wanted BCCI to invite as usual, for him to get a good score for this final milestone of his career. But it would have been too glaring, so they brought the next easiest hurdle - West Indies. If the number of times I see 300 made in school boy cricket, it was enough to compare my colleagues with Bradman, I would have had more than a dozen Bradman friends! But fortunately, they had to make such huge scores against Ambrose and Walsh and Patterson, etc, which would still not have made them Bradmansque. They still had to do it against Flintoff and Harmison, or Mc Grath and Warne, etc.

Posted by Bonehead_maz on (November 8, 2013, 18:35 GMT)

As an Aussie, I've always been somewhat bemused by the reaction towards Rohit Sharma. He always looked a very fine player to me. I sure wish Australia had someone like him to bring into Test side !

Posted by AnyoneButVettel on (November 8, 2013, 16:38 GMT)

Any player has to prove his mettle both at home and - especially for an Indian - abroad and against all kinds of opposition. Rohit and Shami have started on a positive note, but let's not get carried away just yet. The two things that can't be stressed enough is that these performances were a) at home & b) against a team in the bottom half of the rankings table. No doubt the runs still have to be scored and balls bowled in the "right areas" and credit to the debutants for doing that. But, they can only become superstars if they perform abroad, if not, we don't have to look further than Suresh Raina to visualize their future. As someone else commented I'd rather have anyone replace Ishant (even his own granma) than see him continue in Indian colours.

Posted by Harmony111 on (November 8, 2013, 11:22 GMT)

@swarzi:

Thanks for your comments.

Sachin has no FC 300 & took ~500 innings to get his 200 yet has most runs, most 100s in Tests & in ODIs & what not. And so, I can't imagine where Rohit will reach. Thanks a lot for giving us a smile & elating us even as the Great man is about to retire.

An anecdote about Gandhi is quite relevant here. Once Gandhi was traveling by train when a Britisher boarded the train at a station & entered his cabin. When he saw Gandhi there, out of contempt, he wrote a few abusive words on some pieces of paper & asked Gandhi to read them. Gandhi, cool as he was, read them, threw the papers out of the window but kept the pin that was used to collate the papers & said he kept what was useful & threw what was useless.

On similar lines, I will say that since you are saying that Rohit has a better record than Sachin than what Sachin had at a similar point then we all should be very very happy after we can ignore the 'bad' part of your comment.

Posted by Naresh28 on (November 8, 2013, 11:03 GMT)

@hassan khan - He's already played outside INDIA. The Champions Trophy? So has the whole Indian team.

Posted by Naresh28 on (November 8, 2013, 10:20 GMT)

@mohammed - come into india and we will see how good your team is? It works both ways.

Posted by veerang on (November 8, 2013, 9:29 GMT)

@ Hassan Khan,it's ok to be disappointed, but don't be jealous.

Posted by Eclipse0990 on (November 8, 2013, 9:21 GMT)

On a different note, I find it quite shameful that some people are calling Rohit arrogant and stating that this is so because he is a "Mumbaikar" and they'd rather watch someone from Delhi. And then someone says that people from Delhi and Mumbai are arrogant as they don't give credit to others. This is sheer regionalism!

Posted by Eclipse0990 on (November 8, 2013, 8:55 GMT)

@Hassan Khan...Spare him. He is no hafeez or Umar Akmal that he can't play outside his home ground. :)

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 8:41 GMT)

We know ducks are coming when you are out of India.

Posted by ramli on (November 8, 2013, 8:30 GMT)

I don't know why everybody jumps to the conslusion that Indian batsmen would fail abroad ... there have been success stories although small in number ... why can't this young team be the start of a frequent series of success stories abroad? Have faith fans ... we will win everywhere soon

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 8:27 GMT)

Surprised that Rohit did not give any accolade for Ashiwn's runs and his support from other end. May be he is line with Media.

Posted by ramli on (November 8, 2013, 8:25 GMT)

Nice if Rohit will remember that runs will also dry up ... so, be careful to stay level-headed in the days to come

Posted by HarishVS on (November 8, 2013, 8:03 GMT)

Late than never, Rohit has finally stamped his class in test cricket. At a critical do or die situation, Rohit has come up with this big big eye pleasing century with his elegant and classical stroke play all round the park. We need to thank Ashwin for keeping him company with equally stroke-filled classy century. If he succeeds well in the upcoming tour of South Africa, Team India's middle order is only getting stronger and stronger with Poojara and Kohli at Nos. 3 and 4. Wishing him a great career in test cricket!

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 7:56 GMT)

come out of india and we will see how good you are my boy :P

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 7:46 GMT)

because of his patience play from both aswin and rohit plaed realy well and took commanad affer indiareach to safety and reached thrir goals

Posted by NiladriH on (November 8, 2013, 6:57 GMT)

Kudos to Rohit for this hard fought century.

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 6:55 GMT)

My test team for 2013-14 South Africa, New Zealand , ENG tours - 1.S Dhawan, 2.C Pujara 3.V Kohli 4. Rohit Sharma 5. A Rahane 6. A Rayudu 7. MS Dhoni 8. R Jadeja 9. Z Khan 10. U Yadav 11. B Kumar My reserves would be - Amit Mishra, Dinesh Karthik and Ishant Sharma. I also think the quatret of Dhawan - Rohit Sharma - V Kohi and Rayudu should figure in every Indian team that takes the field in any form of the game.

Posted by NiladriH on (November 8, 2013, 6:45 GMT)

Kudos to Rohit for this hard fought century.

Posted by Naresh28 on (November 8, 2013, 6:38 GMT)

@swarzi - Thats plain jealousy. No need to try and pit a player who you probably never saw playing 24 yrs ago and someone who is starting out. Times, pitches,rules,bowlers etc have changed. You are trying to compare different gens - its like trying to compare black and white videos (Don Bradman) and new colour ones of late. For us fans we dont CARE both Rohit and Sachin are Indians. Gavaskar was Indian. Kapil Dev was Indian. They are all great. You are just out to stir things up. Rather you put on your pads and try and score a 200 in ODI game.

Posted by Alexk400 on (November 8, 2013, 3:00 GMT)

Things never happen for good. It always in decay. Even if it is good for who?. Afraid to see the reality eh?. I think rohit played well. He has improved. That 200 ODI gave him lots of confidence. I hope he plays well and seal a spot. He has good technique and temperament for TEST than ODI. Odi is more of slogging.

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 2:31 GMT)

At last Rohit Sharma has arrived on the scene. It Augur well for India , Cricket in India , is entering in to New enchanting , exciting post Sachin phase , where Hero will not be Singular but pural

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 2:27 GMT)

Did you miss out on Suresh Raina as debutant century maker in Tests, Sidharth.

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 0:54 GMT)

i think rohit can be a competitor for don bradman's avg record

Posted by sysubrceq0 on (November 8, 2013, 0:45 GMT)

@Swarzi - you sound like empty vessel make louder noise than full vessel. your knowledge in cricket is in display to everyone. Sachin played most of his ODi's where 250 - 300 is very good score and the pitches, field restrictions and bowlers are different. No offense to Rohit, he is technically a good batsmen but he still has to prove alot to cement the place in Indian team in ODI/TEST. This applies to Dhawan, Pujara, Vijay and some extent to Kohli as they need to prove outside subcontinent consistently not for one series. I wish they do settle as they have good temperament. Rohit should have been in test team in No: 5/6 position in place of Raina/Yuvraj where he got so many chances in tests.

Posted by   on (November 8, 2013, 0:42 GMT)

u r only playing Waste Indies bro, chill...do that against Aus, Eng or SF...then again u just did against Aus

Posted by Unmesh_cric on (November 7, 2013, 23:15 GMT)

Indian fans who follow domestic cricket always knew that Rohit is a Test match material. But guys like Raina who have first class average in 40s played ahead of him in Test cricket. Fans as well as selectors sometimes get confused between limited overs cricket and Test cricket. When Rohit was failing in ODI cricket, it should not have affected his Test chances. He has a first class average of close to 60. Another guy who deserves a chance in Tests is Rahane. But right now, the competition for a middle order batting spot is too tough. I am glad that Rohit finally got a chance in Test cricket where he really belongs. I won't be surprised if he has a very successful Test career in the long run.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 23:01 GMT)

Rohit..u really rock in any format of the game. All the best for ur double century.

Posted by NelaturiShyam on (November 7, 2013, 20:59 GMT)

My grandfather used to advice me as follows."Whatever happens is for the GOOD". This has come true in Rohit's case. In 2010 he was listed to play in a test match and was not included in the team because of an injury at the last moment. Had he played in that test, who knows, as to what would have happened. He probably would not have got this inclusion in the elite list of batsmen, who scored a century on debut. If you repose faith in GOD, you will never be misled.

Posted by RameshRayaprolu on (November 7, 2013, 20:30 GMT)

Excellent composure Rohit...way to go !! I wish he will maintain this attitude for the rest of his career...will benefit India in the longer format...

The way initial wickets fell (except a flawed decision for the GOD)...we can easily see the absence of Legendary Rahul and VVS...

It takes time to adapt from recent ODI to the test format for a young team...but Rohit was exceptional, reminiscences of VVS and Anil Kumble at Eden Gardens just came on to my mind.....

Well DONE Team India...

Posted by Temuzin on (November 7, 2013, 20:14 GMT)

Posted by GRVJPR on (November 7, 2013, 18:44 GMT) Just one thought - Just imagine if Rohit Shama had got a bad decision just like sachin. It doesn't matter to sachin since he is great, but what would have happened to Rohit's career??

Nothing would have happened to Rohit. He would have gotten a couple of dozens more chances in tests like he got in ODIs. Remember 5 successive single digit scores in Srilanka?

Posted by Nampally on (November 7, 2013, 19:58 GMT)

Two years back Rohit lacked the mental strength, discipline & patience. He showed that + Responsibility. I expected Pujara to show that but he played a bad shot & got out. Not Rohit. He was determined to stay at one end & weather the initial storm. He bided his time & opened up thereafter. So he knew how to handle the situation & showed great maturity. The rest is history once you develop these qualities. Rohit has skills & Talent. He learnt not be impatient & play a poor shot at the start of the innings. It was a very mature innings & showed character by staying at one end. It was great to see Ashwin take a similar approach. If they use the same tactics, I won't be surprised to see Rohit hitting his double ton on Day 3 & Ashwin his second Test century. Common guys go for it!

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 19:49 GMT)

Dhonis patience to go through this guy worked out. MSD might have found the talent in him long back. Why is Irfan pathan not playing for Indian? can any one mention the name of a better fast bowler than him? (sorry for mentioning Indian fast bowler as no one exists in in india to be included in the category). He was the Man of the Series in SL tour and he end out injured. Murali Vijay plays for India, Harbhajan played 150+ ODIs for india ( a good for nothing guy) but why not Pathan? can any one point out a better all rounder than Pathan after Kapil Dev? Its still hard to believe that BCCI is free from South-North Lobby and selection discrimination

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 19:40 GMT)

Dear JRVJPR, That is why we are asking India to accept DRS, their stubborn nature make it hard for themselves. Anyway if DRS applicable here India were bowled out already because some very close LBW decisions went on India's favour.

Posted by Capricorn60 on (November 7, 2013, 19:26 GMT)

Well done Rohit - although it has taken him a few years to fulfill that early potential we saw all those years back in that CB series in Australia in 2008, he is now at last consistently showing the class & talent he clearly has. The timing of his Test debut is great too in that he can easily step into the void that will be left by SRT & play for India in all formats for many years to come. Think he'll be a far better captain too in taking over from MSD one day when compared to the likes of Kohli, Pujara etc.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 19:22 GMT)

Fervently wish Rohit to score a Double and Ashwin to score a century against West Indies tomorrow. If the lead goes beyond 250 then it will be Team India's (Rohit's )match. Wishing all the best. Kashinath

Posted by hitacrosstheline on (November 7, 2013, 19:19 GMT)

@swarzi & @shyamamjad Why don't we simply appreciate the talent that Rohit brings to the game, which is quite considerable, rather than worrying about whether he compares favourably or not to Tendulkar? The man was finally given the opportunity to play in a test match and showed his poise and talent by rescuing India from a very, very precarious situation.

Let's hope he builds on this initial inning, and gives us many more opportunities to enjoy his batting, whether against the best or the mediocre.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 19:13 GMT)

Rohit Sharma seems to be self obsessed. Even in his interview at the end of the day there is very little mention of the support he got from Ashwin!! Fans on cricinfo also seem to appreciate Rohit's innings and hardly mention about Ashwin!! If Ashwin was out for a duck then everybody are quick to pounce on him. The Chennai lad is also one of the good things to have happened to Indian cricket!! Well played Ash and get a century tomorrow!!

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 19:10 GMT)

swarzi on November 7, 2013, 17:26 GM

".....2 test matches at the King's orders ..."

I guess you are keen observer of cricket on the basis of statsguru on espncricinfo.com. You might have watched Rohit's profile, his highest in first class game & some extra information on statsguru. Sometimes, you can't able to guess player's ability on the basis of any statistics only. We knew about Rohit since IND's triumphant in triangular ODI series in Aus 5 years back. You have much poor knowledge about both Rohit & Sachin. IND was struggling in Tests since last 2-3 years but still SRT is maximum runs scorer among all IND players since Jan 2011. Please check on cricinfo. If you are talking about passenger on this basis, then every team has so many passengers since last 2-3 years. 25 Years of top quality cricket...can anyone do that??? Can any one withstand so much period???? From best test playing nations....Eng...Aus...SA??

&& you took 25 seconds to put rubbish on him.

Posted by GRVJPR on (November 7, 2013, 18:44 GMT)

Posted by Ranjit_sourav on (November 7, 2013, 18:31 GMT)

Well played Rohit and Ashwin and somehow we got a perfect playing XI post Sachin retirement, If Sir Ji comes in, India can make a gamble playing with 5 bowlers I still consider Sir ji as a bowler who can bat a bit), with strong lower order of Sir ji,Ashwin and Bhuvi who can bat well at 7,8 and 9.

Posted by shayanamjad on (November 7, 2013, 18:25 GMT)

@ swarzi

ok lets have a small comparison between both(sac and roh) careers era

1. dear at that time bats were too ordinary and one had to time the ckt ball to hit a boundry unlike these days getting a thickish edge for six over covers

2. tend faced the pace of lee, waqar, bond and shoib and class of McGrath, Walsh and Wasim these days u cant even get a match and what to talk about warne and murli

3. the rule of close in field and power plays was not there

4. the protective gear was unsatisfactory earlier helmets without wisers even

5. and atlast if you are a critic u must be knowing about the balance, footwork and elegance of tend is much much more

Posted by audacious on (November 7, 2013, 18:02 GMT)

People questioned Virat's ability till he shown the maturity and consistency from Aus tour same thing with Rohit almost everyone thought he should not be selected now look where they are. Dhoni & selectors should be praised for their persistence with these young talents. I hope both of them perform well in SA as well!

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 17:57 GMT)

@Swarzi: Sachin made 340 odd runs at his school level... Check your stats and then comment... Well played Rohit... If tomorrow the lead can somehow be extended to 200, then India will be in a great position

Posted by shayanamjad on (November 7, 2013, 17:53 GMT)

@Al_Bundy1

agreed with the first half but not with the second Tendulkar had different class no matter he is not termed as a match winner, but the elegance and footwork is not even near to any living other than hanif Mohammad.

Posted by crockit on (November 7, 2013, 17:28 GMT)

I guess post Tendulkar it will be Kohli up to 4 Sharma up to 5 and then only a decent number 6 to find. Do not go back to the flawed Yuvraj or Raina - pick a quality young talent - look at the success with bringing in the likes of Kohli Dhawan and Pujara - through them India already have a line up that is near the same quality as what the old guard were like closer to their peak 5-10 years ago. In fact possibly a better line up when you consider the superior strength at 7 and 8. India have relatively competent spinners to the point that fast bowling is now the only real weakness and even that has improved to the point of being adequate on tracks which support the playing of two spinners

Posted by swarzi on (November 7, 2013, 17:26 GMT)

Congrats Rohit! This is the format where you should have really started your career, but bad selection policies have cost you 5 years of your youth. You have already scored a "300" in first class cricket, what Tendulkar can never do! You had a better first class average than him, yet you were put to spoil your self in ODI cricket, before given the opportunity to prove yourself in the format that suits you. However, you still are proving to them that, if they give you the same length rope as was given Tendulkar (let them compare your early record with his), how much better a player than him, you are. You scored 200 in ODIs after opening for less 20 matches, he took nearly 500 innings to do that! I think the last 3 years that were given to him as a passenger with the team was enough of a send off for him. These two test matches at the King's orders are unnecessary!

Posted by Harry31j on (November 7, 2013, 17:25 GMT)

I like this guy. He has almost all the shots, elegance, match awareness, a good head & most importantly humility. He seems to be a good captaincy candidate. Hope he continues this good form in the years to come.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 17:14 GMT)

Yes, as per the statistics, he has joined the clubs with many of India's greats. Though the game is still called cricket, it is different ball game.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 17:13 GMT)

Though the double hundred made least impact on my impression about Rohit 'cause I thought with those kinda tracks even a 12-year-old can pile up runs, I was terribly impressed by this innings.

Posted by Nigah on (November 7, 2013, 17:10 GMT)

I am a Pakistan fan of Indian batting, well played Rohit, your 209 score reminds me that day when all Indian batting fails to score just 109 to win world cup U19. After that Rohit, Pujara & R.Jadeja all becomes stars.. where is that guy "ANWAR ALI" I never found the proper answer just on the bunch? Pakistan never ever became a good team I bet.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 16:56 GMT)

I read a lot of comments on the live scorecard today about how surprised people were to see Rohit Sharma looking a natural on the wicket. They clearly haven't been seeing domestic cricket. If they had, they would be the ones clasping their heads in agony when Sharma used to hit hideous shots to get out cheaply - early in his career

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (November 7, 2013, 16:14 GMT)

Great innings by Rohit. I think he will be a good replacement for Tendulkar.

Posted by Batmanindallas on (November 7, 2013, 15:51 GMT)

Rohit with his debut hundred has joined a list of who's who of Indian cricket. If he manages half the career of some of the greats in that list India will be well served

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 15:28 GMT)

well this is how good form can change the perspective about a player...if the same words had come from his mouth before a couple of months he would have been hounded with the accusal that he s casual and irresponsible... now that he s hitting a purple patch the same words convey maturity ! :) undoubtedly he s got talent but he needs to match it up with more match winning performances ...I believe he s a great player at no.5 where he can really hold the batting line up together in case of an early collapse like today...also guys please give ashwin some credit too...he batted for a long period of time and at moments he matched rohit in his strokes... really happy with the way India found a way through the top order mess today ! way to go rohit! guess people will be forced to believe that your transition into a mature campaigner has finally arrived :) cheers!

Sidharth MongaClose
Tour Results
India v West Indies at Kanpur - Nov 27, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 23 balls remaining)
India v West Indies at Visakhapatnam - Nov 24, 2013
West Indies won by 2 wickets (with 3 balls remaining)
India v West Indies at Kochi - Nov 21, 2013
India won by 6 wickets (with 88 balls remaining)
India v West Indies at Mumbai - Nov 14-16, 2013