Virender Sehwag's 100th Test

'Is he bowling or begging?'

Some of the most fun things in cricket are either said by Sehwag or about him. Here's a collection

Sidharth Monga

November 22, 2012

Paul Harris falls flat as Virender Sehwag marches on, India v South Africa, 1st Test, Chennai, 3rd day, March 28, 2008
'Come round the wicket and first ball I'll hit you for a six' © Getty Images

By Sehwag

"Yeh bowling kar raha hai ya bheekh maang raha hai? [Is he bowling or begging?]"
To Pakistan close-in fielders after Shoaib Akhtar's continuous sledging, asking Sehwag to hook. Even Shoaib's team-mates couldn't keep from laughing. Multan, 2003-04

"I was batting on 291 at Chepauk, against South Africa. I told Paul Harris: 'Come round the wicket and first ball I'll hit you for a six.' He accepted my challenge and the very first ball I hit him for a straight six, and there was a long-off, long-on, deep midwicket and a deep point. I was so tired and he was bowling on the pads and I was getting bored. So rather than spending 10-15 minutes to get to the triple-century I gave him good advice."
On Paul Harris. Chennai, 2008

"They are bowling into my body, and I'm playing my hook and flick shots to get boundaries. There is no other [effective] way they can bowl to me."
On New Zealand bowlers, whom he admitted to feeling sorry for. Hamilton, 2008-09

"Boycott can say what he wants. He once batted the whole day and hit just one four." On Geoff Boycott, who had referred to him as "talented but brainless"

"No, I don't know anything about them. I haven't even heard about them."
On Vinoo Mankad and Pankaj Roy after narrowly missing their world record for the highest opening partnership in Tests. Lahore, 2005-06

"Our bank balance."
When asked for 343867th time what was the difference between him and Sachin Tendulkar

"It's soft, but that's the way we are."
On his decision to withdraw the appeal for mankading against Lahiru Thirimanne. Brisbane, 2011-12

"Ball ka ghar hai boundary, wahan usay pahunchao [The ball lives beyond that boundary, keep sending it there]" In an advert series titled "Sehwag Ke Thande Funde" [Sehwag's cool fundas]

"In the dressing room they told me I was hitting the good balls too, but if you look at it my way, I hit only the bad ones." On his 284 not out in less than a day. Brabourne Stadium, 2009-10

"No, there is no danger. We are the most dangerous batsmen in the world."
To security people in Durban who insisted he and Gautam Gambhir not walk out on their own late in the evening

"Obviously when you are on 94, you can get there with just a six."
To Paddy Upton and Eric Simons on what advice he gave VVS Laxman when he was on 94. Sehwag was running for the injured Laxman. P Sara Oval, 2010

"We have to work hard to take 20 English wickets. They are not Bangladesh."
On England; his appraisal of Bangladesh hadn't changed. Ahmedabad, 2012-13

On Sehwag

"The best way to know how Virender Sehwag's mind works is to sit next to him in the players' balcony when India are batting. Every few minutes he will clutch his head and yell, "Chauka gaya" or "Chhakka gaya". That's his way of expressing disappointment at somebody's failure to take advantage of a ball that he thought deserved to be hit for four or six. That's how he thinks, in fours and sixes."
Sourav Ganguly, in a Wisden Asia Cricket piece

"Jeremy Snape told me a great story about him while we were working together in the Indian Premier League. Sehwag and Snape were batting for Leicestershire against Middlesex when Abdul Razzaq started reverse-swinging the ball in the way that the Pakistan bowlers do. Sehwag came up to Snape and said: 'We must lose this ball. I have a plan.' Next over, he whacked that ball clean out of the ground, forcing the umpires to pick another from the box that would obviously not reverse straight away. To which Sehwag said: 'We are all right for one hour.' Smart, I say."
Shane Warne, in his list of his top 100 cricketers

"Just had a bowlers' meeting. The area of the pitch we're supposed to land it on against Sehwag is about two millimetres by two millimetres."
Stuart Clark about his preparation before the Super Test

"Well, we talked about not playing rash strokes. Of course, he hears me but I'm not sure if he ever listens." Sachin Tendulkar on the advice he gave when Sehwag was on 295 in Multan

"It's very frustrating, especially after you have batted the way I did, making it look hard for five hours, and then he comes out and smacks it everywhere."
Australia wicketkeeper Tim Paine ponders if his struggle to score 92 off 196 was worth it after watching Sehwag loot 59 off 54 on the same pitch. Mohali, 2010-11

"Sehwag can change the course of a match with the ease of Moses parting the Red Sea."
Ian Chappell says Sehwag can put the fear of god in bowlers

"I would think 'Abhi out hua, abhi out hua [He looks like he is going to get out soon]', and suddenly he would be 100 in 100 balls."
Harbhajan Singh on bowling to Sehwag in junior cricket

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Posted by   on (November 24, 2012, 15:58 GMT)

For all those guys who are berating Sehwag on this forum, for example Darshan Dias Abeysinghe, lets just say that you guys are not able to appreciate the joy which a guy like Sehwag brings to the genuine cricket lover. Forget for a moment the digging into averages, the debates about being effective in all conditions etc. Just concentrate on the pure joy of seeing bat swing and the ball rushing past backward point to the boundary, and the fear which he instilled in bowlers around the world with his fearless approach. Sehwag has made the game of cricket richer. I will stick my neck out to say that because people come to the grounds to watch him play! With due respect, then, I rest my case.

Posted by   on (November 24, 2012, 5:34 GMT)

@Malboro19 First of all india is NOT a subcontinent, second I never said Pakistan, India and SL have the same pitch. However, Sehwag being an opening batsman faces fast bowling and in India, SL and Pakistan the ball does not swing as much as other parts of the world. SO he is able to play with freedom. He averages 91 in PAK, 58 in India, and 69 in Sri Lanka. All 3 countries which are known to be dead for fast bowlers. Pakistan have great fast bowlers but not helpful wickets. On the other hand Sehwag averages 20 in New Zealand, 28 in England 25 in South Africa. This shows a weakness against the swinging ball or helpful conditions. Point out to me a great batsman who averages in the 20s in 3 countries before you call Sehwag great. And as you said "average" is a weighted term.. heavily weighted in this case by 91 in pakistan all statisticians would call that an "outlier" which heavily distorts his "away" average

Posted by   on (November 23, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

Sehwag is a HERO! Period.

Posted by ooper_cut on (November 23, 2012, 11:51 GMT)

Hi ALL This is not an article about Sehwag's greatness with his bat, this is about his humour and casual attitude to everything. So please read and enjoy, if you cannot leave.

Posted by   on (November 23, 2012, 11:38 GMT)

Very nice collection of Statements..

Posted by   on (November 23, 2012, 10:23 GMT)

"Beware bowlers I'm back" - This was the comment I've seen when he came back to team recovered from out of form. Dauntless opener smashed the ball round the corner of ground without hesitancy in the first match of his recall.

Open-mindedly he play shots which is a real treat for all his fans in all format of cricket.

We wish you all the best sehwag.....

Posted by   on (November 23, 2012, 5:53 GMT)

Amazing article... Specially the Jeremy Snape story was hilarious :) Only Viru could think of such a plan :)

Posted by 9ST9 on (November 23, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

@CricketMaan - just to refresh your memory : the 200 in Galle was during the series in 2008. Mendis picked up 10 in that game and 8 in the next (he picked up 8 in the first test as well) and became man of the series , that was just the beginning of Mendis's career. Shewag's knock was so special since it was a low scoring game. India made something like 350 or so and 200 of it was from sehwag hence he single handedly won the test for India - but they lost the 1st and 3rd tests and lost the series 2-1 That series if i remember right was the first to have the DRS .

Posted by Sunman81 on (November 23, 2012, 3:41 GMT)

Sehwagism seems better than Sidhuism...Humour comes out when your mind is relaxed... with a relaxed mind you can really perform... looks like this is the secret behind is success... I wish he plays many more memorable innings in future :)

Posted by Satadru145 on (November 23, 2012, 3:29 GMT)

Firstly, Sehwag is the man who injected fresh stream of life into Test Cricket, hence brought back spectators and made test Cricket a spectacle to watch. He redefined the opening role and has been definitely the greatest ever since. Secondly, Sehwag definitely has that rustic honesty which is rather refreshing to hear! People who carry their hearts on their sleeves are rare to find these days. Lets just find a place in our hearts for people like him. Thirdly, this one is for those who believe Sehwag is a home-pitch hero. 105 on debut in SA, 106 vs Eng at Trent Bridge, 195 vs Aus at MCG, 151 vs Aus at Adelaide, 180 vs Windes at Windies, 200 vs SL at Galle (finished Mendis career), 309 vs Pak in Multan (finished Saqlain's career), 254 vs Pak in Lahore. Now agreed that Sehwag has a 13 more home average than away. Then again, Mahela has same of 22, Sangakara has of 20, Michael Clarke has of 25. So if they are great players, Sehwag is definitely much greater player.

Congratulations Viru

Posted by soma.mssasekhar on (November 23, 2012, 3:02 GMT)

I think there is no need to be negative about any cricketer. The only time I get negative is when I watch India play. Being an Indian i wish that the other team fails. I love watching neutral cricket cos it make me appreciate any good quality cricket played - everytime!!! Thats when I appreciate a Kevin, a Gayle, a Mahela, a Shakib, a Junaid, a Swann, a Ryder, a Amla etc. The best thing about Sehwag - boy does he make it look ridiculously simple!!!! its gali (backyard) cricket of our dreams being played in an international arena. Rock on dude - You are a great entertainer!!!

Posted by the_blue_android on (November 22, 2012, 23:44 GMT)

What about the famous quote " Let me pleaseee bowl at him!!" - By every bowler lining up to bowl when Viru is outside of the sub-continent?

Posted by Vikum72 on (November 22, 2012, 23:12 GMT)

Shewag is the best thing that happened to Indian cricket in a long time. To me he's above 10dulkar!

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (November 22, 2012, 22:04 GMT)

Loved every bit of it. Hilarious! He is indeed special. Very special. Brutally honest with no offensive body language or under-tones. Gotta love this dude. Always brings a smile whenever he opens his mouth. hehehehehe......ROFL.....

Posted by Artiebees on (November 22, 2012, 21:41 GMT)

The Warne quote was magnificent.

Posted by mattblacknaki on (November 22, 2012, 20:18 GMT)

This is the funniest and yet cleverst story I have ever read about cricket -

Posted by CricketMaan on (November 22, 2012, 19:15 GMT)

105 on debut in SA, 106 vs Eng at Trent Bridge, 195 vs Aus at MCG, 151 vs Aus at Adelaide, 180 vs Windes at Gros Islet, 200 vs SL at Galle (finished Mendis career), 309 vs Pak in Multan (finished Saqlain's career), 254 vs Pak in Lahore..those were Gems!!

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 18:47 GMT)

@sawifan - Sehwag possesses that rustic honesty which is rather refreshing to hear! People who carry their hearts on their sleeves are rare to find these days. Lets just find a place in our hearts for people like him. Why should Sehwag try and be a clone of a SRT or Dravid (who possess different, but likeable qualities nonetheless)?!

Posted by marlboro19 on (November 22, 2012, 17:54 GMT)

@Darshan, and you think Pak, Sri Lanka and Ind are just the synonyms for a same pitch, right? A betting Avg is a weighted avg , a term i kindly ask you to look in. Besides Pak has traditionally been a great bowling team with quite different kind of pitches you would see in India. that comment not only berates Sehwag but also the great bowlers and diversity of Pak as a nation. Sehwag has an AVG of 46 , AWAY from the Ind SUBCONTINENT against all top teams(that is, barring BAN and ZIm) , so i do stand corrected.

Posted by ardentcricketfan on (November 22, 2012, 17:46 GMT)

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the article while enjoying a relaxing Thanksgiving Holiday. THANK YOU. Doesn't matter what form of cricket Sehwag is playing - I enjoy them all !! Lost count of how many times I have watched the replay of the first 30 mins of the India-Pakistan 2011 World Cup match. Pity the bowlers world over. Go Sehwag !!!

Posted by asthomas911 on (November 22, 2012, 17:38 GMT)

I remember him once saying on an after match presentation "I don't like to waste balls even if it is a Test Match.. it is a waste of time" :D Probably the funniest think a test player has ever said in the history of cricket

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 17:18 GMT)

You missed one of the best lines! Sehwag to some other Indian batsman - "You took 20 balls to get out on a 0, I did that in just 1 ball" :-)

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 16:55 GMT)

interesting read on the eve of Sehwag's 100th test

Posted by shillingsworth on (November 22, 2012, 16:35 GMT)

@pratit - I agree that 'flat track bully' is a daft description but the suggestion that its use is restricted to certain nationalities is also pretty dumb. It's one of the most overused phrases in cricket and a sure sign of a spurious argument. Find me a batsman who doesn't make more runs on flat wickets and then explain to me why he's in the team.

Posted by cricket-is-best on (November 22, 2012, 16:22 GMT)

Amazing how people are jealous of sehwag when the comments by rival bowlers above(in the article) says it all...agreed he got most runs in d subcontinent..but doesnt dat need skill to play spin bowlers when most batsmen across the world doesnt posses...can anybody answer how many great batsmen have demoralised the likes of warne and muralitharan..nobody even dreamt of hitting sixes against the spin against warne..it was like stepping out to danger when anybody steps out against murali..sehwag did all these and succeeded...he destroyed ajantha mendis at his peak..all these are signs of greatness..

Posted by NumberXI on (November 22, 2012, 16:05 GMT)

@Darshan Dias A: Sehwag averages 13 runs more at home than he does away, and that is substantial. But it pales in comparison with the 22-run home advantage for Mahela Jayawardene, 15 runs for Sangakkara, 25 runs for flavor-of-the-season Michael Clarke, and sits reasonably alongside Ponting's 13- run advantage. If those batsmen are great, so is Sehwag.

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

Fantastic piece ! Please write more stuff that gets the fans close to players at a more 'personal' level - the player's attitude, thoughts, what they said, what prompted them to do certain things, how they coped in a particular instance etc. This has been a great read... thank you.

Posted by sawifan on (November 22, 2012, 15:51 GMT)

Sehwag is class, and HAS scored runs everywhere, albeit not consistently abroad, but he has scored tons everywhere. What i don't understand is this growing trend of Indian players too concerned with opposition players' and opposition teams' performances. The 'Bangladesh' comment from last test was immature and totally uncalled for and shows the true mindset of the the current Indian player, whether it be Bhaji and Gambhir lashing out at (justified) criticism, Dhoni ALWAYS whinging about EVERYTHING, and this case of Sehwag making some innane comment. C'mon Sehwag, take a note out of SRT's, Dravid's or VVS's book and show a bit more class, you ARE better than that. On a more positive note, i hope he rattles off a ton in his 100th test. All the best Viru!

Posted by Nampally on (November 22, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

Yes, Sehwag is the most feared batsmen by any bowler. His only aim is to send the ball for a 4 or a 6. He is at the crease for just one thing- to spank the ball. If only Sehwag had little more discipline on overseas pitches, he would easily have been the greatest run scorer at the fastest S/R & entertainer, the Cricket world has ever seen!. I hope he gets going & uses some of the discipline, as he did in Ahmadabad, to get a century in his 100th Test match. He may not have heard of Vinoo Mankad. But Vinoo was an aggressive batsman who was the King of the Lords test(1952) with his Herculean effort - 5 for 192 in 96 overs, scoring 72 in the first innings & 184 in the second, opening the innings both the time after his bowling effort. In my books Mankad was the greatest All rounder India has ever produced. Sadly the present day Cricketers do not know who Pioneered Cricket in India.These guys like Mankad, Hazare, Umrigar & Gupte earned pittance yet they were the real Kings of Cricket India!

Posted by QingdaoXI on (November 22, 2012, 15:25 GMT)

Before the First match of World cup 2011 vs Bangladesh, Reporters ask him about the 2007 loss to same team in World Cup 2007. He said its revenge match and rest is all history.

Posted by coolindianfan on (November 22, 2012, 15:13 GMT)

@ zonedout987 stop runting ur flat track bully stuff mate if thats the case ricky poiting who averages mediocre in the subcontinent is perhaps the most useless player ever right ?dosent make sense does it ? .everyone has weaknesses and strength .by the way the 195 is considered as one of the best by ian chappel need i say more

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

Its definitely because of Virendra Sehwag that India as well as the Captains, Ganguly and Dhoni have been very successful captains. I hope he gets back in his original gear and help the Team from where he left off in the 1st. Test at Ahmedabad. Go Sehwag and make this your Series...

Posted by Neeta on (November 22, 2012, 14:43 GMT)

Wow can't stop laughing..the guy never ceases to amaze me!!! Hats off to a wonderful career and I hope it continues for another 2-3 years. It has been a treat to watch Sehwag bat for this long. I remember I went out to celebrate with my friends after the Board Exams got over but was not feeling inclined to go in the morning seeing Sehwag bat the way he did (Chennai Triple Ton against SA) checked the score at the end of the day while still out of the house and got a wonderful shock seeing the guy batting on 300 at the end of the day's play. Amazing player and a great human being on and off the field. Always cheerful no matter what the situation is of the game. Love to see him fooling around with the Umpires when standing at the non striker's end keeping them entertained and fresh for a long day in the field

Posted by GRVJPR on (November 22, 2012, 13:44 GMT)

Different people have different opinions. People talk about different challenges. You have seen the ball swinging in New Zealand and England and bouncing in Australia. South Africa has different kind of wickets. May be that's the reason they don't want the ball to turn

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 13:39 GMT)

@zonedout987 his thoughts must have been the same as were of the australians in 2001 against bhaji. English batsmen in the current series and in many series in the past.

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 13:36 GMT)

@hm4790 the flat track bully scored 195 within a day on fiery australian track. smashed englnd on seaming wickets at headingly and trentbridge . Scored a century on debut against south africa in south africa. I hope these countries didnt had pictches like subcontinent

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 13:21 GMT)

Shewag is the single most reason I switch the TV off while a cricket match is going on.I have been watchinhg tv since 1976 and never used to switch the TV off at least when India is batting.Last few years I cant watch the batting once Viru is gone.

Posted by sheenu on (November 22, 2012, 13:11 GMT)

What makes him even more special is that he was never an opener even in domestic cricket. He was a middle order batsman. When nobody even dared to open against teams like SA, Aus, Eng etc, he gladly accepted to be an opener and scored centuries at that position not just in India but in Eng, Aus (remember the 195 in 2003-04?), SA and NZ. He almost scored a century against WI before lunch on the 1st day of a test match. Anyone criticizing him is doing it purely by jealousy, because NOBODY from their countries can even come close to what Sehwag has done in an unfamiliar opener's position, not even their REGULAR openers.

Posted by pratit on (November 22, 2012, 13:03 GMT)

Typical reaction of ignorant English and Aussie fans calling him a flat track bully. Yes, the wickets on which he scored the 300s were flat. But on the basis of that one cannot categorise all subcontinent wickets as flat. A lot of those subcontinental knocks were played on challenging spinning tracks like the 200 he scored against Srilanka when Ajantha Mendis was on fire. If the wickets in the subcontinent are so flat why do Aussie and English batsmen have such a horrible record here?

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

@malboro19... you should dig a little deeper before shouting and praising his "away" average and putting him on the list of all time greats... 35 in Bangladesh, 27.8 in England, 20 in New Zealand, 25.5 in South Africa.... His "away" average is 46 cause its mainly boosted by averaging 91 in Pakistan thanks to a triple century where India scored 675 for 5 and Pakistan responded with 400+. Am only saying his away statistics need to be taken in perspective... sure he is a great batsman but you cannot compare him with the all time greats by just saying his "away" average is 46.

Posted by bhaskar_79 on (November 22, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

After that begging remark he told shoaib "doosre end pe tera baap khada hai wo maarega (U'r dad is at the other end he'll hook you - it was sachin). Sure enough, shoaib bounced, and sachin hooked him for a 6. Sehwag - "dekha, beta beta hota hai aur baap baap (See? a kid is a kid and a dad is a dad)!

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

hm4790, well none of the other 21 players scored a triple in the same flat track pitch. So he was the king of the ring. And that's no joke in any part of the cricketing world. Stupid comment that.

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

Greatest from England all. I cant agree more with 'vswami' below - perfectly put. I hope that he carries on entertaining us for years to come. Its pity that my fellow countrymen and Aussie cousin's here cant seem to enjoy the undoubted brilliance and joy he brings to our beloved game. Raising my glass to Viru!

Posted by moBlue on (November 22, 2012, 12:34 GMT)

@hm4790: oh yeah? don't let inconvenient facts get in the way, do you? :) sehwag scored a hundred on test debut in SA on a fast centurion track when IND were reeling at 68 for 4... sehwag scored 195 before tea on day 1 at the MCG... sehwag rampaged ENG on his first test as an opener at lords and scored a hundred at trent bridge... now how exactly do these knocks - played in ENG, oz and SA - fit in with your "flat track bully" theory? :)

Posted by moBlue on (November 22, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

@ZonedOut987: ask the oz players what there thoughts were after being taken to the cleaners for 195 before tea at the MCG... or the saffers how they felt after driving IND to desperation at 68 for 4 on a fast jo'berg track only to have a test debutant at #6, sehwag, score an imperious hundred on debut... or ENG how they felt when sehwag opened for the first time ever in a test match at lords and rampaged them... the last i checked, melbourne, jo'burg and lords were outside the subcontinent. you might be entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts!

Posted by Retour on (November 22, 2012, 12:25 GMT)

What a player! His aggressive batting at the top was one of the main reasons why Ind got #1 ranking. He demoralized the opposition and that helped others in the team to get runs too .... Arguably the best match winner for Ind in tests.

Posted by marlboro19 on (November 22, 2012, 12:15 GMT)

Is it sheer jealousy or what? He averages 58 a home and 46 AWAY! with a SR of over 80! No Viv, Gavskar,Hayden,Waugh or bradman for that matter could do that, lets not even mention kallis,ponting etc. Even his away avg of 46 puts him on the list of great players , considering he is an opener. For ones be a bit open-minded fellows and fr once step out of the shell of hatred and jealousy and enjpy the sheer joy sehwag is.

Posted by Rohanbandekar on (November 22, 2012, 12:11 GMT)

@hm4790: My friend check the stats before criticizing a player. He has got big centuries in Test Cricket in Australia, NZ and South Africa. Infact he scored a century on debut against the South Africans.

Posted by siddhant328 on (November 22, 2012, 12:11 GMT)

Good collection Sidharth...Sehwag is going to play his 100th Test...and the feeling generated by this article is like we are about to celebrate his Birthday. Sehwag is a very special and unique character to emanate on the International Cricket Arena..no doubt about that...and he would have been the greatest from India, had he shown the consistency of the likes of Dravid or Kallis. Just merge the TIME spent by Dravid on crease and QUICK SCORING CALIBER of Sehwag..and the combination out-walks the greatness of Tendulkar OR the danger of MSD/Gayle/ Viv. Still Sehwag has at least 4-5 years left, and he can produce many more remarkable innings. Wishing a bright career ahead and hopeful that the number of such innings count up to maximum possible.

Posted by Zonedout987 on (November 22, 2012, 11:38 GMT)

I wonder what his thoughts were on being played like a flute by English and Australian pacers on India's away tours - A Highly Over-rated player no doubt!

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

After scoring his first ODI century (100 v NZ) and winning the MoM award, Tony Greig greeted him with the mic at the Presentation ceremony, congratulating him on his terrific knock. Sehwag replied, "Thanks John".

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 11:26 GMT)

Never imagined I could like someone more than Sachin. Sachin brings tears of joy to my eyes whenever he scores a ton while Sehwag brings out laughter and a hope of a big one ..

Posted by hm4790 on (November 22, 2012, 11:21 GMT)

Biggest flat track bully to have ever emerged from the subcontinent. This bloke is merely a tailender outside of iit. He was a walking wicket on the South African, England, and Australian tours. It was funny that Cricindia started saying that he was better than King Viv when he was scoring triple hundreds on those dead flat roads, till he started scoring golden ducks. What a joke this guy is!

Posted by   on (November 22, 2012, 11:07 GMT)

Without a doubt the best entertainer test cricket has ever produced. The critics can say all they want. He has scored tons of runs in tests and across the globe. His stats say it all. 99 Test matches, 23 hundreds, at a strike rate of 82.45. He's a refreshingly simple yet smart cricketer. Hope he scores tonnes of runs in the next couple of years he's got left in him.

Posted by Santhosh.D on (November 22, 2012, 11:03 GMT)

From the day I saw his batting in Melbourn'04, I never worshipped and loved any cricketer as much as Sehwag. He's one heck of a player and one of the best entertainers the game has ever seen. Congragulations!!!!! And Hats off to him for entertaining us for all these years.

Posted by Emancipator007 on (November 22, 2012, 10:52 GMT)

Another gem is during 2003 tour when Harsha asked him during a post-game show about how he plays so differently from orthodox openers like Gavaskar, Boycott,Atherton (SMG was right beside Viru), Viru uttered rat-a-tat in Hindi ; "Woh (SMG) us zamane ka player hai, main naye zamane ka hoon"-These players were from a different era, I don't have to be like them being a new generation player.

Posted by vswami on (November 22, 2012, 10:44 GMT)

I dont care how many runs he makes, what his average is, how many hundreds and fifties he scored when he ends his career. Its hard to imagine that we will see another batsman playing at the highest level, for nothing but the joy of belting the ball which is why we take up the game in the innocence of childhood. I will be thankful for the joy he has given me in watching him bat all these years.

Posted by Emancipator007 on (November 22, 2012, 10:32 GMT)

Posted by crick_sucks on (November 22, 2012, 10:22 GMT)

"No, there is no danger. We are the most dangerous batsmen in the world." couldn't stop laughing at this one. Classic Sehwag.

Posted by 777aditya on (November 22, 2012, 10:15 GMT)

Tears are rolling down my eyes - cant see the PC - almost fell off my chair....laughing!!! This guy will be an absolute entertainer even after he retires - he should try commentating! Of course, everyone is begging for many more centuries from Sehwhack, not just Shoaib!

Sidharth MongaClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
3rd Investec Test: England v India at Southampton - Jul 27-31
England 569/7d India 88/3
NPS v India A at Darwin - Jul 29
India A won by 3 wickets (with 61 balls remaining)
Australia A v India A at Darwin
Jul 31, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
4th Investec Test: England v India at Manchester
Aug 7-11, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
Only Test: Eng Women v India Women at Wormsley
Aug 13-16, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »