1st match, Carlton Series, Australia v Wedt Indies, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1667th ODI in cricket history.
- It was Australia's 467th and West Indies' 408th match.
- It was the 315th World Series Cup match - 224th for Australia and 105th for West Indies.
- It was the 93rd match between these two sides. The record now reads: Australia 38, West Indies 52, two matches have been tied and one has been abandoned.
- It was the 428th day-night match in ODI history - 184th for Australia and 86th for West Indies.
- Umpires DJ Harper and SJA Taufel were officiating in their 41st and 13th match respectively.
- Nathan Bracken was making his ODI debut. He became 142nd player to appear for Australia in ODIs.
- Steve Waugh was playing his 300th match. He became third player to do so after after India's Mohammad Azharuddin (334 matches) and Pakistan's Wasim Akram (311).
- Shane Warne and Adam Gilchrist were playing their 150th and 100th match respectively. They became seventh and 14th Australian to do so.
- Cameron Cuffy was making a comeback into West Indies side. His last appearance in a ODI for West Indies was against Pakistan at Melbourne on 20-01-1997. He missed 74 matches since then. Only Clayton Lambert (131), Philo Wallace (96) and Dave Williams (94) have missed more matches in between two appearances for West Indies. This was Cuffy's 12th ODI and he has played all these matches on foreign soil- 10 in India and two in Australia.
- Brian Lara was playing his 50th day-night match. He became first West Indian and 45th player in the world to do so. Just for the record, Australia's Steve Waugh has appeared in most such matches-131.
- Mark Waugh on reaching 50 completed his 3000 runs in World Series Cup matches in his 97th match. Mark Waugh became third batsman after Allan Border (3899 runs in 160 matches) and Dean Jones (3456 runs in 93 matches) to do so.
- The unbeaten eighth wicket stand of 54 runs between Jimmy Adams and Laury Williams equalled West Indies' highest stand for this wicket against Australia. Desmond Haynes and Michael Holding had added 54 runs at Perth on 05-02-1984.
- The stand was also the highest for West Indies for eighth wicket in all day-night matches beating the 53 run-stand between Ian Bishop and Roland Holder against Pakistan at Sydney on 18-01-1997.
- Australia was registering its tenth consecutive win in WSC matches. Australia's last defeat in a WSC match had come against Pakistan at Brisbane on 09-01-2000.
- Ricky Ponting was winning Man of the Match award for the eighth time in his career.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.