2nd ODI, Sri Lanka v England, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1695th ODI in cricket history.
- It was the 22nd match between these two sides. The record now reads: Sri Lanka 9, England 13.
- It was the 92nd floodlit match for Sri Lanka and 68th for England.
- Umpires BC Cooray and DN Pathirana were officiating in their 49th and ninth match respectively.
- Sanath Jayasuriya was getting dismissed without scoring for the 16th time in his career. Now only Romesh Kaluwitharana (19) and Arjuna Ranatunga (18) have aggregated more ducks in a career than Jayasuriya who meanwhile moved ahead of Roshan Mahanama (15).
- The wicket of Jayasuriya was 50th for Darren Gough in floodlit matches. He was playing his 34th match. Gough became first Englishman and 21st bowler in ODI history to reach this landmark. Mark Ealham with 28 wickets from 30 matches is placed second.
- Mahela Jayawerdene (101*) was reaching three figure mark for the fourth time in his career. He has now quietly moved to joint fourth place alongwith Arjuna Ranatunga and Roshan Mahanama among the Sri Lankans with most ODI hundreds. His other hundreds being: 128 v India at Sharjah on 27-10-2000. 120 v England at Adelaide on 23-01-1999 and 101 v Pakistan at Visakhapatnam on 27-03-1999. His innings is the highest for Sri Lanka against England at home soil beating Sidath Wettimuny's 86* at Colombo SSC on 14-02-1982.
- Jayawerdene's innings represented 44.69 % of Sri Lankan total - a new record in Sri Lanka-England matches. He eclipsed Graham Thorpe's contribution of 43.36 % in the last game. Incidentally the previous highest contribution in an innings for Sri Lanka against England was in the name of Aravinda De Silva who made 41.45 % (80 out of 193) at Delhi on on 15-10-1989 in Nehru Cup match.
- Craig White was getting dismissed without scoring for the eighth time in his only 37th match. It was also his fourth duck in day-night matches which makes him the batsman with most ducks in floodlit matches for England. White was earlier at level with Alec Stewart with three ducks.
- Muralitharan by conceding just 11 runs off his nine overs recorded the most economical figures by any bowler in a nine-over spell against England. South Africa's Shaun Pollock had conceded 13 runs in his nine overs at The Oval on 22-05-1999.
- Muralitharan also equalled the Sri Lankan record of most economical bowling in a nine-over spell. MAW Madurasinghe had also conceded same runs against Bangladesh at Dhaka on 02-11-1988.
- Muralitharan also equalled the most economical figures by any bowler in a nine-over spell in floodlit matches. England's John Lever (v Australia at Sydney on 14-01-1980) and India's Anil Kumble (v Sri Lanka at Sharjah on 09-11-1998) had also conceded 11 runs during their spells of nine overs.
- The victory margin of 66 runs is Sri Lanka's largest against England in terms of runs. Interestingly Sri Lanka's previous largest win over England was by a margin of 11 runs at Sydney on 03-02-1999.
- Jayawerdene won his third Man of the Match award.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.