'No problem with Greg,' says Ganguly
For the first time since the infamous public spat that rocked Indian cricket, Sourav Ganguly has said he wouldn't have "any problem" with Greg Chappell, the coach, if he returned to the Indian side. He added that the differences between the two were "blown out of proportion" and also said that he had no reservations in playing under Rahul Dravid.
"I've always respected Greg and it was I who went to Sydney in mid-2003 for a one-on-one with him," Ganguly said while speaking to The Telegraph, a Kolkata-based daily. The Indian board worked out a truce between the two, during the review meeting in Mumbai on September 27, after an e-mail sent by Chappell to the board president was leaked to the media, but the two haven't come face to face since then. "Why should I have any problem in forging a [fresh] relationship once the selectors bring me back? Both Greg and I are mature and can handle situations. The issue got blown out of proportion by those who wanted to sensationalise. I'd been silent all these days as I didn't wish to add to what had been splashed all over. I did so consciously."
Ganguly missed the first two one-dayers against Sri Lanka, owing to a tennis elbow conditions, and wasn't picked for the rest of the series even though he was available for selection. He was also not chosen for the first three games against South Africa and will now have to wait for the next selection meeting, in Chennai on November 22, for the last two matches.
Ganguly chose to break his silence on the whole issue a day after Ranbir Singh Mahendra, the board president, said that he "couldn't" be ruled out at any stage. Ganguly also said that he had no reservations playing under Dravid and added, "Why is this being asked? You must remember that Mohammed Azharuddin and Sachin Tendulkar, both former captains, played under me when I got the captaincy in March 2000."