|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Fantasy||Mobile|
May 16, 2007
Kiran More, the former wicketkeeper and one of the executive directors of the Indian Cricket League, says that the formation of the so-called breakaway initiative was by no means intended to provoke the Indian board (BCCI). Seeking to assuage tensions between the ICL and the BCCI, More said the Rs 100 crore (US$ 23 million approx) project would only benefit the game in India.
"We should see the ICL as an opportunity which will provide few more matches. There is no question of any confrontation. BCCI has still not said anything against it. ICL should be seen like just another tournament," he told AFP. "There are a number of private tournaments being organised in India."
More did not see the ICL - launched by Subhash Chandra, who heads the Essel Group, owners of the Zee brand - as a spinoff of the infamous Kerry Pecker rebel series. "It is not right to compare ICL with Packer's cricket," he said. "It is an opportunity for those who could not play for country due to one reason or the other."
He also denied reports that Sourav Ganguly had been linked to the ICL: "The news that Ganguly is also in touch with ICL is only a rumour." Zee Sports earlier denied the report circulating in the media that Brian Lara, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Inzamam-ul-Haq were signed up for the series.
On India's current tour of Bangladesh, More said: "After every big failure, teams need time to recover. They have started the process but will need more time to come back in same flow."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance
Plays of the day from the IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi
Plays of the day from the IPL match between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab in Abu Dhabi