India news October 13, 2011

'I have never clamoured for power that is associated with position'

An open letter from Anil Kumble

Dear Cricket Enthusiast,

Over the last few days there have been various allegations levelled against me for the responsibilities that come with my various roles. They boil down to two issues - my competence to perform these multiple roles and the potential for conflicts of interest. I didn't want to respond while we were in the midst of the CLT20 campaign. More importantly, the issues raised were of a nature that required discussion and introspection. I think now is the right time to address both the issues.

I have never clamoured for power that is associated with position. However, I have been attracted to the challenge and responsibility for bringing about a change. In fact, with the exception of my business, all the other positions I have accepted have been the outcome of persuasion by well-meaning individuals. In each of my current roles, there is a significant challenge to improve a system.

My role as chairman of the NCA is largely restricted to defining a vision and roadmap for the creation of a future for Indian cricket. My blueprint for the NCA is nearly ready and I am sure the NCA team (which is headed by Sandeep Patil) will deliver the goods. NCA's primary focus is to identify, groom and train support staff such as coaches, physiotherapists, trainers and analysts so that the player talent at competitive cricket is in good hands. My exposure to cricket academies all over the world and my thoughts on how cricketers approach the game served as inputs. Karnataka cricket, as one would expect, is closest to my heart. I found that my views on the need to reshape Karnataka cricket found resonance from the likes of Javagal Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad, Vijay Bharadwaj and Rahul Dravid. Not ones for sitting idly by and arm-chair critiquing, we decided to take the bull by its horns and contested elections for the KSCA.

The Chinnaswamy Stadium's infrastructure was in poor shape, the decision making processes were unclear and highly centralized. Information systems were archaic and often unreliable. Sri and I divided responsibilities. As secretary, Sri handles all cricketing matters including selections. As president, I handle all infrastructure improvement projects.

The changes are already apparent. The dressing rooms are today world-class. Basic facilities which were in a state of disuse have now been restored and will improve over the next few months. The TV and radio commentators' boxes have received wide appreciation. Even the press box, which some journalists don't seem to like, is a vast improvement over the previous one. The first order for 2000 ergonomic seats that will enhance spectator experience has been placed. Over the next six months we will be working on improving the ground condition and putting in a state-of-the-art drainage system that will ensure minimum cricket time lost in the event of rain and significantly improve health & condition of the outfield. We have just commenced work on the clubhouse.

With the singular objective of spreading the game across Karnataka, KSCA has signed long-term agreements to introduce, upgrade and maintain infrastructure at 18 locations.

We have persuaded experts on infrastructure and technical issues to be on committees advising us on such matters of selection of material, vendor and specifications. In almost every case these experts are successful professionals who are not financially dependent on their role in KSCA and are providing this service in an honorary capacity. In order to bring in financial transparency, professional accountability and systemic approach, we are putting an ERP system in place. Visible changes may be expected by the time of the next international fixture in Bangalore. It is pertinent that I provide details for contributions made in each role that I have. When I became president of KSCA, I was an IPL player for the RCB. I was the captain of the team and at that time I had the legs to continue for another couple of seasons. However, I realized that the time and effort required to revamp the KSCA will seriously impinge on my training needed to remain on top of my game as a professional cricketer. Every member of my team at KSCA has made similar adjustments in their lives as we believe in the cause of Karnataka cricket. After discussions with the management of RCB, I decided to withdraw from the auction pool and accept the position of Chief Mentor. I am responsible for strategising with the team owners during the auction process, being a part of the thinktank alongside Ray Jennings and Daniel Vettori, addressing team and player related issues with a medium to long term outlook.

My sports company was incorporated in 1999. I have been in the sporting business for more than 15 years now. I also had to select a vocation which I knew enough about. Vasanth Bharadwaj (Former Table Tennis International & corporate professional), Diinesh Kumble (a Creative genius & sports analytics professional) and I started working on this shortly after I retired from international cricket. We decided to brand it 'Tenvic'. We have a grand idea and a shared passion for the transformation of all sports (not just cricket). We look to leverage the benefits and application of Sport.

Tenvic is not a talent management company.

The sportsperson mentoring program of Tenvic addresses a long felt need to make a professional out of a promising talent. We run a Pyschometric Assessment Test designed and customised for sportspersons. The findings are then translated into clearly defined interventions that include formal education through tie-ups with reputed universities that offer e-learning content, personality development with the assignment of a life coach, financial management and image management among others. The importance of these initiatives cannot be overstated considering that sport is no more the privilege of the urban Indian. The primary focus of the sportsperson mentoring program is to prepare an individual to face the rigours and demands of international sport. I am more than happy to invite any other talent-management company to handle the commercial interests of the concerned players. In fact, Tenvic has incurred expenses in creation and execution of the mentoring program and not realised any pecuniary gratification from this engagement. Necessary measures to address misplaced perceptions are being taken.

"I categorically deny that I ever have or will ever influence selection of players at any level to derive personal interest. However, if I do spot a talent that I feel should represent India, irrespective of who is managing that player, I will not shy away from bringing it to the attention of those vested with the responsibility of selection."

It has been reported that my company, Tenvic, representing players has supposedly resulted in their being selected to play for the Indian cricket team. This is both insulting and preposterous. First of all, it casts aspersions on the workings of the national selection committee, then it questions the performance of the players in question who earned their spot in the team and it doubts my integrity. I will comment only on the last. I categorically deny that I ever have or will ever influence selection of players at any level to derive personal interest. At the KSCA, by the constitution it is the Hon. Secretary who convenes all selection meetings. However, if I do spot a talent that I feel should represent India, irrespective of who is managing that player, I will not shy away from bringing it to the attention of those vested with the responsibility of selection. And I will do this without fear or favour keeping the best interest of cricket and cricketers in mind.

My role at KSCA and NCA are honorary. I am aware that change comes with its share of detractors but my conviction is that such change is required. Throughout my playing career I have placed national interest above personal interest. In my mind I am clear that I am continuing to do that even after my retirement. I am a firm believer in meritocracy and it remains an integral part of my individual value system.

The day I feel that I am unable to discharge justifiably my responsibility in one of these roles, I will step down like I did when I was captain of the Indian team with a certain M S Dhoni ready to take over.

Now to address the larger issue of conflict of interest that arises from my company representing cricketers.

Over the past few days I have had a chance to discuss conflict of interest with colleagues, journalists, players and business professionals. I have learned a lot about it. It seems to me that a conflict of interest exists in most professions and it is important how it is addressed. When a conflict of interest exists, it should be declared in the public domain and systems put in place to ensure that nobody can exploit this. Disclosures of my interest in Tenvic and its businesses have been formally communicated to the bodies concerned.

In meetings where matters that I believe hold a potential conflict of interest were discussed, I have recused myself. Organisations where I hold honorary positions will confirm this.

I have lived my life by setting high moral and professional standards. Now that I am in a few positions that put me in the public domain I must subject myself to a standard that satisfies not just me but others also who hold me in high regard.

Finally, I have been quoted wrongly with reference to Mahatma Gandhi. What I said was that I am incapable of living the simple life of Mahatma Gandhi.

Best…,

Anil Kumble

(An edited version of this letter first appeared in the Delhi edition of Hindustan Times)

• on October 16, 2011, 4:13 GMT

Give it all you got, Anil! This is a nation where a certain smallness reigns for a while. As long as you have truth and the courage of conviction to keep your head raised high, nothing can befall you. We expected great things from you on the field....we expect you to triumph over this calumny.

• jay57870 on October 15, 2011, 14:18 GMT

(Cont) Goal: Build world-class MSM system. NCA must first benchmark best-in-class sports programmes - besides cricket academies - with best MSM standards & IM practices. Start with baseball, which is closest to cricket in mode of play & types/severity of injuries (eg, joints, bones, muscles). The MLB season is a long 8+ months of continuous baseball: 30-35 pre-season games (1 month), 162 regular-season games (6 mos) plus 15-19 playoff games for finalists (1 mo). Talk about tight scheduling & fatigue! A winning team to benchmark: NY Yankees. Such benchmarking insights will provide several benefits: how its MSM team provides medical care at both home-and-away games; how it uses MSM system - both in-house & outside resources/expertise - for diagnostics, treatment, rehab & even prevention of injuries; how customised strength & conditioning regimens, healthy diets & mind-body exercises boost athlete's fitness & performance. It'll ensure "survival of the fittest" in Team India! Good luck!

• jay57870 on October 15, 2011, 14:02 GMT

Anil -- We have faith in you, especially re: the vital work you & Sandeep are charged to do at NCA. As you develop the final "blueprint" for the support staff in particular, please consider the following input: Scientific advances in medical & related technologies have made Modern Sports Medicine (MSM) a must for any sports programme. The calamity of injuries in England exposed two chronic ills: Lack of in-home care & on-field care. Relying mainly on physios/trainers is not good enough, as they lack the broader professional expertise needed to tend to all injuries afflicting cricketers today. Injury Management (IM) requires special skills & knowledge. Experienced MSM practitioners must be made a vital part of NCA staff & on-field medical crew - starting with a "team physician" to an integrated "MSM team" of paramedics to specialists, such as sports doctor, orthopedist, trainer, nutritionist, psychologist, biomedical engineer, physiotherapist, surgeon, etc - that best suit needs. (TBC)

• Dr.DeepakPatil on October 15, 2011, 5:00 GMT

Doubting the integrity and professionalism of Anil..? I can not imagine it. Anil Kumble is a person who is very high on morals and deeply committed to cricket and sports in general. He will never compromise his deep rooted values for personal gains. We should feel proud that people like him, Srinath, Rahul and Venkatesh Prasad are amongst us and trying to do something for Karnataka (and India) cricket.

• ARad on October 14, 2011, 18:58 GMT

A person's stature or the admiration we have for players cannot change FACTS. I admire Kumble for many things but a conflict of interest IS a conflict of interest. The same thing is true for N Srinivasan. It does not matter whether he has used his positions to take advantage. Further, true gentlemen (and ladies) should not try to defend himself but fix the issues that may bring them ill-reputation.

• jayray999 on October 14, 2011, 17:26 GMT

Mr Kumble, for whom I have great regard, is missing the point here. I do not for a moment believe that he stands to gain from these arrangements but the issues at stake are subtler than he imagines. Supposing a talented young cricketer being mentored by Tenvic were selected into the Karnataka team. It would be impossible for a disinterested party to conclusively know whether this player's selection was on merit. His everyday failures with bat or ball would face merciless media scrutiny where his peers would be spared. Why would Mr. Kumble want to place his charges in this position? Tenvvic's mentoring program emphasizes player psychology. In what sense would Tenvic be mentoring a player in the situation just described. Mr Kumble would be right to argue that such scrutiny is nothing more than the ignoble curiosity of media vultures. But even he cannot make the vultures go away. He might be able to ignore them but his charges would be (are being?) needlessly distracted.

• Shas3 on October 14, 2011, 17:03 GMT

Anil Kumble is another name for Commitment, Professionalism, Integrity. Period… No more justification needed.. there are very few cricketers on the planet who can walk with thier heads held high... and this man would just fit right at the top of all...

• on October 14, 2011, 16:56 GMT

Karnataka Cricket was in shambles. We have had people like Mr. Brijesh Patel and Mr. Wodeyar (a Maharaja) manning it. Atleast Brijesh patel was a mediocre cricketer of yesteryears, but what is the role of a so called king in this. The role of a president and the organization has become a joke in our country. Be it any cricketing organization. every politician has to be involved in it. To the Abdullah's in Kashmir to Deshmukh in Maharashtra, Jaitley in Delhi, Scindia, Shukla, Pawar and many more. Here we have Mr. Kumble and his colleagues trying to make a change and a hue and cry is raised. It is something which I fail to understand. The second thing I would like to bring to everyone's notice is the fact that Tenvic does not depend on money made from the cricketers or by marketing them. It has other business interests which fetches it money. Also, the cricketers associated with it are fine young cricketers who have performed decently in domestic cricket.

• on October 14, 2011, 16:13 GMT

Thanks for Clarifying Anil. There are couple of things that i wanted to bring to notice. 1. I still feel that without your involvement in Tenvic there is still conflict of interest in your role as RCB mentor. You have mentioned here that as mentor in strategize on auctions. This is where i have a problem as i had mentioned in earlier comments vis-a-vis Manish Pandey's position. 2. You have taken umbrage on the fact that KSCA president is Honorary. When the Constitution can be changed to accommodate the office bearer's to own IPL teams, why not the change the Constitution and make these posts a paid one. I guess then the argument would be that i doesn't pay enough. 3. You have listed all the achievements in KSCA, why haven't you done anything on association's website. Why don't you keep it updated with Vision and be transparent. With all these still bringing the ropes in for T20 and reducing it to mere 65 yards is a big step back from a cricket perspective.

• on October 14, 2011, 15:33 GMT

a man his stature does not want to explain his position,we believe u jumbo ,who came in a wi match in wi where he dismissed lara after getting hit on head and bleeding!

• on October 16, 2011, 4:13 GMT

• jay57870 on October 15, 2011, 14:18 GMT

• jay57870 on October 15, 2011, 14:02 GMT

• Dr.DeepakPatil on October 15, 2011, 5:00 GMT

• ARad on October 14, 2011, 18:58 GMT

• jayray999 on October 14, 2011, 17:26 GMT

• Shas3 on October 14, 2011, 17:03 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 16:56 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 16:13 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 15:33 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 14:52 GMT

This is totally rubbish, how can someone show so much disrespect of caliber and stature of Anil Kumble. He was only player in Indian history including Sachin,Dravid,Sourav,Kapil, among whom never forcefully played or used his power to play for india, even he was 10 times better than most of RCB bowlers but he did not participate in 2010 IPL. He never ever cared for money.

Where, every second retired player is choosing easy way of getting into commentary and safe money options, he got into the mud of administration to clean and do some good things, which always talk is Currupt. Now, when he is trying something different. now people can pick spot and put into national issue.Shame on it, now that they put on national issue, millions brains would think in million ways, obvious that there is 1% people definitely talk -ve and those would again hit headlines and its really really sad. He deserves respect Real respect.

• londondoc on October 14, 2011, 11:47 GMT

Not sure I buy what you say here. Tenvic is not a charity organisation and must be a commercially viable business entity making profits. Maybe, it would be worth clarifying which are the activities that Tenvic profits from monetarily if its not profiting from managing the players as you suggest. As far as the issue of conflict of interest is concerned, it is easy to brush it under the carpet by labelling it a percieved notion. The fact of the matter is that there is a conflict of interest which has the potential to influence decisions, whether or not that happens is irrelevant. Players managed by your company have a 'percieved' advantage over others who dont. Its similar to a situation where the examiner runs coaching classes for students and says there is no conflict of interest as he has declared that at the outset! Harsha Bhogle commands respect because he gave up mentoring for MI when conflict was pointed out to him. Do Mr Srinivasan and Mr Srikkant command the same respect?

• rickywanting on October 14, 2011, 10:53 GMT

Why did Anil Kumble, as KSCA president, have to sign up three cricketers with his company to mentor them? Is it not his job as KSCA president to mentor all Karnataka players? Why did he not choose to mentor more junior players? On what basis he chose these three cricketers to mentor?

• SpeedCricketThrills on October 14, 2011, 10:46 GMT

@Raju_Iyer: If the world says Kumble should hold only one post, I will be the first to support his role as KSCA President. That is a coveted post that should not be given away by a person like him to politicians (with no cricket knowledge). Whatever Tenvic does (for cricketers) is something that KSCA should be doing "by engaging professional help" and "paying for it". If Tenvic is the company do it, it will become conflict of interest. On the other hand, if Kumble & Co conceptualize all that Tenvic has to do and hire a professional firm to "just do it", they will be creating value for an organization they do not own. This will be any administrator cum entrepreneur-sportsman's dilemma. There is no easy answer for this unless people believe in win-win situations rather than "I am the owner and I should win all". I still feel Kumble cannot have a finger in every pie and make a winner of every pie. If KSCA President is made a full time, paid job,would Kumble still want the job?

• ultimatewarrior on October 14, 2011, 9:17 GMT

First of all Kumble Sir, I salute u for all the matches u had won for India. As far as multiple responsibility is concerned when no. of high profile politicians and businessmen can work in cricket administration, then why not a cricket legend can take care of administration along with his sports business management. Further if you talk about cross-interests then I will say we all are not worthy itself to ask a person of great integrity and being a great human being.......Its really a shame for us that such a great personality is giving excuses......

• Kunal-Talgeri on October 14, 2011, 7:52 GMT

Dear Anil anna, if Tenvic is not realising 'pecuniary gratification' (or money) for devising and conducting its assessment test, and if you're positions at KSCA and NCA are honorary, then be sure you are living the life of the Mahatma. The rationale of Tenvic is noble -- yes, young cricketers need such an intervention in the T20 Age. But the KSCA's and NCA's needs and mission are continual, regardless of what your current agreement states. As a fan, I had imagined your participation in the KSCA would be enduring enough to restore respectability to Karnataka cricket. I didn't read the fine print, but I believe your appointment as KSCA president was also because you gave similar hope to many of unconditional involvement. Your letter is a fine disclosure, with lots of consulting (almost legal) usage. Your integrity is unquestionable, but the context of cricket today poses question marks at every turn. Your moves will be seen in that very context.

• Raju_Iyer on October 14, 2011, 7:37 GMT

To SpeedCricketThrills : I have not read the article by Kunal Pradhan in Mumbai Mirror which you have referred to but I take all journalists ' views with a pinch of salt these days. Public memory is so short lived, we have forgotten Barkha Dutt's shenanigans already, buying into her crocodile tears and "error of judgement" claims! On the other hand, here is a true sportsman who has done our country proud and who is brave enough to step up and be counted as someone willing to bring about change. And to the guy who wanted just 4-5 fast bowlers, and was not interested in improving the drainage of the ground, heard of Alladin and his lamp?

• on October 14, 2011, 7:06 GMT

There was no "conflict of interest" when N Srinivasan took over as BCCI President, being an owner of IPL franchise. It suddenly comes into picture, when a man of integrtity, Kumble is doing something good for the cricket. All Critiques, Media, Excricketers, why don't you raise the same point with N Srinivasan?

• on October 14, 2011, 7:02 GMT

Politicians are running after such posts as there is lots of money in sports nowadays...they want to keep well meaning people out of it..Kumble,... cricket, cricketers and the lovers of cricket know who you are and what you have done.. so don't fear...If politicians are a liability for their parties when they have dementia, they are sent as governors of states,and if they are still worse,they are made heads of sports bodies like,Judo,Archery,Hockey....It is just a great joke..A law should be enacted in the parliament that anybody who wants to head a sports body should have the minimum qualification..and that should be that he or she should have played the game at the national level or at least at the state level....period.

• vswami on October 14, 2011, 6:58 GMT

Its easy to be a journalist these days. Just throw a bunch of hypothesised allegations and it becomes the responsibility of the player to defend himself. All those who fantasise the allegations then have no responsibility to come out and justify their stance.

• Cluedin on October 14, 2011, 6:54 GMT

Thank you Anil for the clear direct and precise response to various allegations. I wish others in responsible positions learn from this. Cheers!!

• cric_fanatics on October 14, 2011, 6:52 GMT

KUMBLE...all india needs is a 4-5 good fast bowlers...thats enough for world domination for the next 10 years...see if u can address that in place of the drainage system tht ur thinking about...

• venky2010 on October 14, 2011, 6:31 GMT

Mr Kumble, Thank you for your clarification. We trust you and respect your intergrity. Good luck on your goals and visions.

I sincerely believe, before it is too late you will take our the India cricket team as head coach.

Jai Hind

• on October 14, 2011, 6:00 GMT

It's good to see that Kumble has addressed most of the issues raised by the press. But as a normal human being how do you balance FAMILY LIFE / MULTIPLE Professional LIFE ?

• on October 14, 2011, 5:30 GMT

Cloud is cleared and position is clarified by his compelling convection of telling things as they are. Some People just cooked their greedy needs in between. Never doubted the integrity on the Man.

All the Best to one of the Greatest Ambassador of the game and country on his all endeavours.

• charlie1863 on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT

Bravo KUMBLE ! This is how a WORKING PROFESSIONAL should respond when unsbstantiated allegations are made without FACTS. It's incredible we cast aspersions on Legendary cricketers like KUMBLE & KAPIL DEV when they have sacrificed so much to make all of us proud. This at a time when our 'so called' leaders are LOOTING & SHAMING the country & its citizens.

• on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT

Respect for you Sir Anil Kumble.....

• SpeedCricketThrills on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT

Nice letter and delighted to know the many good things Kumble and Team are doint at KSCA. Firstly, abolish this "honorary post" system. Let these admin posts be paid so that no one thinks he is giving his time for free. If what is paid does not befit the "stature" of the person holding the post, such people should not get into these positions. KSCA is lucky to have a man of intgrity for the President's job. The same cannot be said of "future occupants" - player or otherwise. I am still not convinced that Kumble understands the real meaning of "conflict of interest", so beautifully explained by Kunal Pradhan in Mumbai Mirror of October 11. He is bringing a personal angle to the meaning and taking shelter under "I am not the type who will do it".

• on October 14, 2011, 5:27 GMT

Anil, detractors were there for every great human being who inhabited this world and will continue to be there. Let that not bother you or distract you from the great work you're doing for Cricket! It was a welcome open letter to clarify the matter than resorting to meek resignation. I believe the majority of cricket lovers have deep faith in your capabilities and actions. Just keep up the good work and that should sufficiently silence critics. Best wishes.

• on October 14, 2011, 5:25 GMT

So dignified, so classy! Thank You Mr.Kumble!

• on October 14, 2011, 5:23 GMT

You always have been a champion Sir... and will always be, no matter what the situation is.. Support and respect.....

• on October 14, 2011, 5:14 GMT

Always with you Jumbo, Truth matters than Perception. I disagree with Harsha over his idea of Perception not reality ( http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/536373.html?CMP=chrome ), thats what these media misunderstand these days,, Substance over Form is necessary and you have abided by it,, Continue the good over

• on October 14, 2011, 5:09 GMT

This man is surely a guy you can trust. People should stop making a big deal outta every little thing! Like every other human, he also has a desire to earn more money so let him.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• on October 14, 2011, 5:09 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 5:14 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 5:23 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 5:25 GMT

So dignified, so classy! Thank You Mr.Kumble!

• on October 14, 2011, 5:27 GMT

• SpeedCricketThrills on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT

• on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT

Respect for you Sir Anil Kumble.....

• charlie1863 on October 14, 2011, 5:28 GMT