India news December 4, 2011

Injured Sreesanth out for up to eight weeks

Sreesanth, the India seamer, has said he could be out of action for a further six to eight weeks as he continues his rehabilitation from a toe injury that has sidelined him during the ongoing Ranji season.

The injury has ruled him out of contention for the four-Test series in Australia starting later this month. The national selectors meet on Monday to pick a replacement for the injured Praveen Kumar.

Sreesanth said he had decided against surgery on the left toe. "I did a bit of ayurvedic treatment and it (the pain) has really come down," Sreesanth told ESPNcricinfo. "I was advised surgery but didn't go for it because the last time I did ayurvedic treatment, for a labrum tear on my shoulder, it really helped and I never had to go for surgery. I have consulted the same doctor. The muscles get stronger with physiotherapy. I will start training in Bangalore from December 12."

The Test series begins on December 26 at the MCG and finishes on January 28. Sreesanth is hopeful of being available for the one-day tri-series, also featuring Sri Lanka, starting in February.

"I will be out for six to eight weeks. I don't think I'll be fit till the end of the Test series," Sreesanth said. "Hopefully for the one-dayers I will be fit for selection."

Sreesanth played three Tests in England earlier this year, but failed to impress taking eight wickets at 61.62. He played in Kerala's first match of the Ranji season, against Vidarbha in Nagpur, taking 1 for 119, before getting injured.

He wasn't chosen when the selectors picked the team for Australia, but the injury to Praveen ahead of the ongoing one-day series against West Indies, has given an opportunity for any one of India's reserve seamers to make the trip.

Kanishkaa Balachandran is a senior sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

• geoenvy on December 5, 2011, 15:58 GMT

Who cares!!! He was always over rated. I agree. Good Riddance

• Antony17 on December 5, 2011, 12:48 GMT

varun rubish in the 3rd odi against wi 2011 20 last over not mithun 23 2nd last over i prefe sree and vinay

• RandyOZ on December 5, 2011, 9:53 GMT

Good riddance! This guy is terrible!

• ShankarAnand on December 5, 2011, 5:42 GMT

Don't forget that Irfan Pathan was the Man of the Match in the famous Indian win at Perth in 2007-08.

• amit.80s on December 5, 2011, 3:33 GMT

Who cares about Sree when u got Umesh, Varun, Mithun, Praveen,Nehra and the great Zak. Even Irfan and Munaf are better than Sree, I hope I never see him playing for Indian team again.

• chilled_avenger on December 5, 2011, 2:47 GMT

Irfan's test record is bad,in fact its quite terrible! Against the top 8 teams Irfan has taken 61 wickets in 25 tests at an averge of 45.49!. I don't see anything special in this record!

• IndiaGoats on December 5, 2011, 0:56 GMT

@Yayakhan: He may be wayward and probably doesn't deserve a spot for the Aussie tour, but no one can accuse Sreesanth of being dull!

• Alexk400 on December 4, 2011, 21:47 GMT

IRFAN PATHAN is awful with 120kmph speed. He can't control flow of runs or can't buy a wicket. His batting is nothing special. That said when he , he was so promising , everyone india thought he will be india's akram. He was around 138kmph speed. Currently his speed is in the range of spinner. Even anil kumble used to bowl faster.

Never again IRFAN.

• dummy4fb on December 4, 2011, 19:56 GMT

Don't get the fascination with Irfan. He is a rubbish bowler. He bowls 120-125K and is going to get demolished at that pace in oz. Also the wickets he got in the last 4 ranji matches when he got the bowl to swing he was bowling around 118K which is only going get him wickets at the national level. Hope the selectors don't pick him for the Aus series. Come on guys get real he should stay at the domestic level not good enough for the international scene. He got enough chances in the past. Both brothers are highly overrated.

• Yayakhan on December 4, 2011, 19:22 GMT

I would love to see Irfan back with his inswingers...is there any out there who can explain y India is persisting with a dull , wavid and out of sorts bowler .... i hope every one have only one name...Sreesanth!!!

• No featured comments at the moment.