India news October 5, 2012

'I don't think I have plenty of cricket left in me'

ESPNcricinfo staff
298

Sachin Tendulkar has said that he will reassess his cricketing future in November, when he plays the home Tests against England. Tendulkar, who has previously been non-committal on questions about his retirement, also said any decision about ending a 23-year career will depend on both his form and his motivation levels.

"I need not take a call right now. When I play in November, I will re-assess things," Tendulkar was quoted as saying in Times of India.

"I am 39 and I don't think I have plenty of cricket left in me. But it depends on my frame of mind and my physical ability to deliver. When I feel that I am not delivering what is needed, and then I will re-look at the scheme of things. I am already 39 and no one expects me to go on playing forever."

In his latest series, the home Tests against New Zealand, he was bowled in each of his three innings for low scores. Sunil Gavaskar was among those concerned by Tendulkar's poor form. "The gap between the pad and the bat is a worrying sign," Gavaskar had said. "This is never a good sign for a great batsman."

Tendulkar, however, felt that it was natural for the questions to be asked. "There are two different things - scoring runs and what I feel. For instance, if this three-wicket ordeal had happened when I was 25, no one would have questioned it. Incidentally, it happened when I am 39, so questions were raised. This is natural."

Tendulkar has played 190 Tests and he said he is not chasing any particular mark. India play England in a four-Test series starting November followed by another four-Test series against Australia early next year.

"I am looking at it series by series. As long as I feel that I can deliver, I will continue playing. It also depends on what the team feels and whether I am motivated enough to continue being on top of the game."

• dummy4fb on October 8, 2012, 19:17 GMT

Sachin is overated player who mainly plays for records.

• dummy4fb on October 8, 2012, 19:16 GMT

He's just an ordinary player :D

• dummy4fb on October 8, 2012, 9:13 GMT

i agree with shiva jaywant . india is yet to have an ideal replacement for ganguly . yuvraj , raina , pujara , all of them have failed to replace ganguly at his no 6 spot . and now with laxman`s and dravid`s retirement , u just can`t afford to let sachin go . only kohli has grabbed the opportunity with both hands . rohit sharma replacing sachin is laughable . his 27 ball 25 was the reason why india was able to post a big score against south africa .

pujra has produced just one good innings . pujara did visit south africa and all he could manage was a 57 ball 14 .

• Living_CRICKET on October 8, 2012, 6:58 GMT

sachin...Master blaster..Please dont retire..India wont be INDIA without you..

• dummy4fb on October 8, 2012, 5:59 GMT

Sachin Tendulkar!!!! The synonym of Cricket. Really I don't understand why people can think so cheaply. Is there anyone in Indian cricket who can serve better then SRT. Still undoubtedly he is the best batsman not just of India but also on earth. He is not blocking the chance or opportunity for any young stars. Him anyone deserve a place in the Indian Cricket Team he have to earn it not thinking in such a way that when Sachin will retire n will take that place. This is just rubbish thinking!!! Yes may be in the last series he hasn't score that much but does it mean that he he should retire??? oh no. There are many cricket lovers like me who still watch the game for this man and can't even imagine a day in cricket without him. So please let him decide what to do. I know actually even the people who doesn't like Sachin (Though this is doubtful) will agree that he has got that honesty that he will take the right decision. Please play few more years and let us enjoy the "REAL" cricket. <3

• Ronnie08 on October 8, 2012, 3:34 GMT

for all you people commenting on him please do remember HE IS THE GOD OF CRICKET

• dummy4fb on October 8, 2012, 3:04 GMT

Suchin need to play until he won to play no buddy said he sud retired only sachin bring the crowd if he play than every buddy watch cricket so my let him play until he won to play sunilgwasker Ravi sastri let them talk

• cricketfannik on October 8, 2012, 2:15 GMT

agree with Shiva excellent point mate cheers

• gpindian on October 7, 2012, 23:33 GMT

Sachin is himself saying that in November, he will assess his performance and what the team thinks, so I really don't understand what you all are cribbing about. And I think that if there ever was a team person, that would be Sachin. If he really was selfish as some of you make him sound, wouldn't he be playing T20 as well? He gave up T20 even while he was fit enough to score an ODI double-century.

• dummy4fb on October 7, 2012, 20:56 GMT

@Sinhaya if drs is there he would be now atleast 125 centuries really if u dont believe search youtube there r so many contraversial decisions against him but great man has never over reacted. i think u never seen him playing in 90s he was more & more aggressive then sehwag sr of 86.23 for 23 years says it all

• No featured comments at the moment.