India news

Failures in ODIs frustrating - Rohit Sharma

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 11, 2012

Rohit Sharma hits out during his unbeaten 55, England v India, World Twenty20, Group A, Colombo
Rohit Sharma says that he has been working hard to repay the faith shown in him by the team management © Getty Images

Rohit Sharma, who has endured a torrid time in ODIs this year, is hopeful of translating his success in Twenty20s to longer formats of the game. Rohit is presently in South Africa for the Champions League T20, where he will be one of the mainstays of Mumbai Indians' batting.

"I enjoy my stints in Twenty20. I sincerely hope I can adapt this to one-day cricket too, and do what I manage to do in T20," Rohit told the Times of India. "I have succeeded in this format regardless of conditions, batting order and any other factors. I hope it rubs off on other formats too."

In 13 ODIs in 2012, Rohit has scored 164 runs with only one half-century - 68 against Pakistan in the Asia Cup. His worst performance came during India's one-day series in Sri Lanka, where he managed 13 runs from five innings.

"I've opened the batting, batted at numbers 3, 4, 7... I have batted wherever I have been asked to," he said. "I am not giving any excuses here and since I'm supposed to be a professional, I'm anyway not allowed such excuses. The tours of Australia and Sri Lanka were disappointing and I also agree I struggled there. As frustrating as it has been for everybody, it's much more frustrating for me."

Hailed as one of best batting talents in the world, Rohit's lack of form has invited criticism, with his detractors questioning his temperament and his casual approach. Rohit said he tries to stay away from it and maintains his focus on his game.

"Of course it hurts. If I was an opener, it would've given me time to go out there and figure things out. I don't want to say I'm a top-order batsman or I'd specifically like to be one. I will bat wherever I am asked to. Yuvraj has been a classic example. He used to bat at No. 6, No. 7 when he first came into the Indian team. Gradually, he started batting up the order and runs started coming. Some day I too will learn to deal with it and work my way."

Rohit's place in the squad came under pressure after repeated failures in the Sri Lanka series, more so, as another young batsman - Manoj Tiwary - waited in the wings. The team management, however, continued to play Rohit ahead of Tiwary, arguing that dropping a player of his calibre could be damaging to his confidence.

"I have got tremendous support from my team-mates and captain," Rohit said. "I must have done something right in the past for which I am getting this kind of support. Nobody will back you just like that. And believe me, I'm putting in a lot of effort to repay that faith."

Rohit said he has been working hard on his fitness, an area he didn't understand much when he made his debut five years ago, but now follows a set regime.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 18:01 GMT)

He's just an ordinary player who cannot even score big against teams like Bangladesh just look at the stats in his profile :)

Posted by Aravind_always on (October 14, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

It's even more frustrating for us to see u bat..

Posted by binojpeter on (October 13, 2012, 15:46 GMT)

I believe Rohit will benefit a lot once he starts playing Test cricket. Kohli's batting improved a lot once he started playing Test cricket.

Posted by Naresh28 on (October 13, 2012, 7:28 GMT)

Quite frankly the onus is on Rohit. He should stop talking and work on fitness, defence etc. Things that make great players great. For now the Indian team ARENA is not for EXPERIMENTING. When it comes to batting he should look at examples of Laxman, Dravid, Sachin and Kholi

Posted by   on (October 13, 2012, 6:52 GMT)

drop Dhoni from team rohit will get dropped autopmatically

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 16:06 GMT)

RAHANE , YUSUF,JADEJA,THIVARY,Shigar dhavan........ Lot of youngsters are waiting for a chance in our team.............. But he(ROHIT) still hanging in our team.....

I dont know why dhoni is giving more chance to rohith?...........

Realyy he shoud go to home and prepare for a come back..........

Posted by CricketFanIndUS on (October 12, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

I hope Rohit goes back to 4 day domestic/international cricket, even some English county cricket and develops more solidity and consistency. Also hope that he works on the mental aspects like determination, tenacity and skills to manage his innings. I agree with others who pointed in this section that this will improve his chances of getting selected to the test team and that is the place for him to improve his skills. You need to be exposed to cricket at its highest level, and of course international test cricket is the place to be for that. Also, it is a sort of a failure of the cricket administration and coaching and analysis staff to some extent that he is having to express that he is at a loss for the poor performance in the ODIs. This perhaps hurts his confidence. A few solid innings from him and it is possible to redeem himself. I personally will be happy to see this, just as happy as I am to see Kohli establish himself so well.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (October 12, 2012, 14:51 GMT)

I am surprised that a long time cricket follower like Nampally can find a debate on the meaning of the word 'class' and its misuse by writers amusing. Incidentally,I myself have seen Sobers in 1959 when he came with the team led by Gerry Alexander..I agree with him that Sobers and the others he has mentioned were/are all great batsmen, and they have 'class' but I find his definition of 'class' too generalistic and vague.It simply does not bring out in cricketing terms what class is all about. Curiously,the word 'class' was never used by the doyens of cricket writing and commentating like Arlott,and Johnston or writers like Cardus,Keating Robinson and Swanton. This word has been used mostly by our writers when they want to serve up accolades thoroughly bereft of knowledge. So it is that " he is pure class" the phrase comes up at pften.It is quite amusing --- and actually so--- to hear it because it betrays ignorance of the nuances of this game by its user.

Posted by vinaykmr on (October 12, 2012, 14:44 GMT)

kohli was given half the chances of what rohit has been getting, but still kohli has excelled to become consistent n terrifying batsman. enough of chances to rohit. there r many talentd cktrs than this so-called talent.

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (October 12, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

He got plenty of chances. It's time to drop him and let him discover his "talent" in Ranji Trophy. There are other qualified youngsters dying to play for India. Why can't we give a chance to the likes of Dhawan, Rahane, Uthappa, and Tiwary?

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 13:43 GMT)

I don't understand why India still considers him I mean he's just an ordinary player and his performances says it. May not be Indian but I can for sure say India has better young players than him like Manosh Tiwary who in my view deserves a chance instead of wasting him on the bench.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

Rohit thank you 4 ur wonderful services kindly releave from all form of the cricketing if u do so this wil be the greatest contribution to Indian cricket

Posted by vpk23 on (October 12, 2012, 13:23 GMT)

BUD A GOOD ADVICE....KEEP YOUR EGO OR ALTER EGO IN CHECK! YOU HAVE COMPETITON IN THE FORM OF MANOJ TIWARY WHO IS A FERICE FIGHTER TO THE CORE. FOCUS ON YOUR JOB NOT WHAT THE FLATTER'S SAY. THEY TALKED ABOUT YOUR GOOD IN AUSTRALIA EARLY 2008...THAT'S IN THE PAST BUD. PERFOME IN THE NOW. HOPE SOMEBODY POINTS IT OUT TO YOU.

Posted by Nampally on (October 12, 2012, 13:15 GMT)

@Percy- Fender,King-Lion,ashankar: I followed your comments on "Class" with amusment. If anyone wants to see a real "class" I would just refer them to Garfield Sobers in action whether he is batting, bowling or fielding. He personfied talent, class or any other phrases media would like to use. Coming from a very poor home in Barbados, he forced his way into Cricket thru' sheer brilliance at the age of 18 without any God-Father & conquered the hearts of each & every cricket fan who has seen him play. Rohit Sharma gets all this praise including "best batting talent in the World" as the article states even when he scores just 164 in 13 ODI's!. He has god Fathers galore who are keeping him in the XI. But does he deserve all such praise for very little output? In real life it is the results that count. Real class batsmen in India are in the mould of Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendulkar & Laxman.These are guys who have a lot of humility & talent. Rohit needs to take a lesson out of their pages!

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 12:53 GMT)

I think he is Vinod Kambli (2) in the making. India should stop endorsing him as the Best & give opportunities to the liked of Rahane, Uthappa, Tiwaray.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

Biggest Joke of the Year by form if he means reaching double figures then I too would agree.

Posted by ashankar on (October 12, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

@Percy_Fender I am game with you, Laxman waiting for the ball to go past his left leg and just glancing it. Mark waugh's flick of the wrist, Sachin leaning forward to push the ball to straight or cover boundary are some of class shots that i cherish. I may be rolling on the floor and enjoying Gayle Walloping one over the stadia but that is no way class to me.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 11:51 GMT)

he is saying as he is big hero in T20's he is big flop in all three formats..he is good for nothing..85 ODI matches nothing in his account except 2008 CB series Finals.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 11:50 GMT)

you wasted almost 100 odis.you got so much of chances when compare to others. still you cant get means. how? we agree you are perfect batsman, if you cant execute means waste. there are so many players waiting in for your seat.

Posted by guppys_classmate on (October 12, 2012, 11:42 GMT)

The only thing he has done well is to keep talented players like Manoj Tiwary & Badrinath out.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (October 12, 2012, 10:54 GMT)

King_Lion and ashankar, that is just the point. This word 'class' is used so often by people who just do not know what it is all about. I too have played cricket many many years ago and have watched cricket of the highest quality both live and on TV in recent years. I have also heard quality cricket commentries the world over.When I mention the word 'class' it has to denote something on a higher plane than the other ordinary mortals. There were some shots that Gower or Waugh or Laxman played when there was no sound. That to me was watching 'class', made up of getting into position well in advance of striking the ball at just the right time.When the ball just sppeds past the unmoving fielders. Probably someone will be able to explain the phenomenon of there being no noise in motion. Like an aircraft breaking the sound barrier. The word 'class' is too exclusive to be used to refer to not just Rohit Sharma but several others whom the media would have us believe are 'class' as they say.

Posted by pprash_2002 on (October 12, 2012, 10:36 GMT)

Rohit sharma is not mature enough to play at international level.

Posted by ashankar on (October 12, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

@Percy_Fender and King Lion: On the topic of class - i read an article in one of the news websites in India which goes like 'Morgan playing those unorthodox shots were indeed a class act'! So what is the connection between unorthodox and class!?

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 8:23 GMT)

Ha Ha Ha!!! Is this is the joke of 2012!!! who told he is a better player for T20.Yes of course you played better in IPL, But in International cricket he is fit for nothing, some people says give a chance in Test Please don't spoil Test cricket. because not about his talent its a question about his attitude,against SA in WC he almost played for 10 overs but what he was did pathetic end to WC, if someone like kohli,veeru,yuvi in for 10 overs they definitely make century.Something you should question about dhony's captaincy also picking into team maybe selectors choice but picking into 11 continue-sly without giving a single chance to other is really questionable!!I feel Rahane,Rayudu,Pujara,mandeep singh,robin uthappa,Tiwary are better repalcements for Rohit, Also U.chand can be considerable if you are hoping for next WC.

Posted by king_lion on (October 12, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

@Percy_Fender: thanks for the appreciation. You may be right about some people using word "class" in a less meaningful way. Having played competitive cricket for a good ten years as a teenager I have developed that understanding of "class" from my coaches.

Posted by TATTUs on (October 12, 2012, 7:37 GMT)

Play him in tests. He may succeed there. The guy is super talented and just look at the time he gets to play the ball. Its more frustrating to see it go waste.

Posted by siva_gk on (October 12, 2012, 7:13 GMT)

@ashankar - With 27 single digit scores and 9 times of scores between 10-20 in 85 ODI matches he has played, how can he expect us to be patient enough to wait for him to get a consistent form. Even in T20Is, the last 7 innings scores read 1 0 4* 1* 55* 1 25. There are so many people waiting outside with excellent domestic records and even some have proven themselves in the international level. Not sure how many more chances he's going to get just because he has been tagged as the 'MOST TALENTED PLAYER' by the BCCI....

Posted by Pappu_bhai on (October 12, 2012, 7:06 GMT)

In India He is a good player.But not the best.We have plenty of options and we cant tolerate the failures.So only we are criticizing him.

but let me ask Consider if he was in SL team.He would have been far better than Jayawardane.I class You cant tie Jayawardane even to Rohits tail.And if he smacks India from There(Indias Bowling is weak and thats how other batters become better batsmen) we would have challenged by them.Some times we will like it to c a good game where as sometimes we wont like it as SL was too weak for India earlier and now have improved very badly/We have underperformed.

Posted by NLS1 on (October 12, 2012, 6:46 GMT)

Rohit Sharma failed to prove his talent or at least failed to capitalize whatever promise he showed earlier on. He has now spent all goodwill of his fans. He has to go back to domestic cricket and prove his mettle all over again and demonstrate that he is capable of playing at the highest level. Until then this moaning and once in 10 matches good knocks in T20s or one day matches will not help. Indian selectors will be better off investing in some other untried talent.

Posted by Vipins on (October 12, 2012, 6:41 GMT)

Rohit as of now definitely does not deserve a place in the national squad in any of the format of the game(not even in T20)...his attitude his questionable...forget about firm...if his attitude was good...he would have been already a proven cricketer by now...if you see the super 8 match against SA... India was already in a very strong position after the first 10 overs....though the media criticized Yuvi, Raina and Gambhir. Rohit was was the one who slowed down the innings...It was awsome to watch the way..Yuvi started and tried to accelerate (knowing the fact that he is bit vulnerable against spin)....Rohit could be a talent but not useful

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 6:16 GMT)

Why is Manoj tiwary not given a chance to play in the ground.. He has proved time and again in all the few chances he has got to play for India that how worthy a player he is and what he can do.. Nowhere in the world you will be out of the playing 11 for 2 years after scoring a century.. and see what he did for india in the SL series.. This is too much

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 6:00 GMT)

I think all of u don't have idea of class in cricket ,if u want to c some classical cricket then we should wish that Rohit get in form and play for India

Posted by Ribs on (October 12, 2012, 5:56 GMT)

Common Rohit, when you did well in international T20 are you really serious. Scoring runs in IPL will not be considered always you can get one or two bad bowlers from each team and it will be easy to score runs. The biggest surprise still people are calling you as young talent after 90 one days.

Posted by Romenevans on (October 12, 2012, 5:09 GMT)

T20 form? What? 25 runs scored on 27 balls players against SA in this WC...and we needed to setup big score to defend...he played his pathetic innings just to look okay to be in the team....? Are you kidding me seriously?

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

When did Rohit Sharma succeeded in cricket? He is the one player who has been given chances after chances even though he failed in around 80 of his 100 innings in India. If this kind of support extended to Badri, Tiwary, Vinod Kambli (in tests), Praveen Amre, W.V. Raman, V.B.Chandrasekar, Vijay (TN), Vijay Baradwaj (Karnataka) etc,. they would have been world beaters. Your time is up, you pl retire by yourself.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (October 12, 2012, 4:43 GMT)

His performance is due over years. Hope he will be back with some excellent batting.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (October 12, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

King_lion I appreciate the fact that you tried defining class. I am not sure if the people bandying about the word 'class' actually meant it to be a collection of words such as you have so painstakingly assembled.

Posted by Samar_Singh on (October 12, 2012, 4:24 GMT)

Once agian Rohit in the headlines .. Fed up of reading about this chap .. Are there no other player to be in the news ?? Why not talk about pujara , tiwari ect... how much chances a player should get in the country with hundreds in queue ..

Posted by srinideva on (October 12, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

This should be published in page 2 in cricinfo for fun... What a comedy..He is in form in T20. Yeah we saw that in WT20 against SA, well played for his position..God bless you

Posted by SamRoy on (October 12, 2012, 3:49 GMT)

The biggest problem in India is that all fans and even selectors decide whether you are good for test cricket by exposing you to ODIs. That to my mind is a stupid strategy. The only way to decide whether one is good for test cricket is by letting him play test cricket. Rohit Shama has played 90-odd ODIs for apparently no reason. He isn't all that good in that format. But selectors have got him to play that many ODIs. Yet, he is still to play his first test match. People with immense talent should be tried in test cicket. Not in ODIs and T20s.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2012, 3:12 GMT)

first of all i wana to say dat ROHIT is not a best talent in the world of cricket. but best example is ROBIN UTHTHAPPA . i wana to ask why dey giving TOO MUCH chance to ROHIT SHARMA its totally unfair wid player like ROBIN....

Posted by Kapil_Choudhary on (October 12, 2012, 2:09 GMT)

I am sorry but when did Rohit suceed in T20s???? Yeah, he had a few good IPLs but it has been proved time and again that IPL cannot hold a candle to international cricket in terms of standard. In the latest World T20, he had 2 good innings in the warm up games and a good inning in a dead game against England - but when it really mattered - in the live games - he was a huge failure with his innings against South Africa being the lowest point when he played selfishly to make 25 of 27 balls in a situation where India HAD to win by a minimum of 30 runs. And its not the first time he's played like this - he has been playing selfishly in big games for at least 2 years now - just look at his record. The way I see it, he is just one of those players (like Mark Ramprakash) who are great against mediocre bowling - like in IPL, ranji, and even iagainst minnows weak bowling teams like NZ and WI - but against good bowling, and when it really matters - he is utterly useless. DUMP HIM ASAP !!!

Posted by rohanbala on (October 12, 2012, 1:06 GMT)

Rohit Sharma = a player with immense potential, a player for the future, a player good enough to fill the middle order after the retirement of seniors etc etc. These are mere advertisements to keep RS in the Indian side. Does he really deserve such an extended run despite not living up to the expectations? Are others being given such opportunities?

Posted by CricketFanIndUS on (October 12, 2012, 0:52 GMT)

I love to watch Rohit Sharma's bat. Some of his shots look very fluid, some look brilliant, he seems to pick the right shots for certain deliveries, played well against WI pace bowling in the past, plays the short ball very well, and seems to have a 10th of a second or two extra. All the commentators praise his shots when he is in good form. He has done well in the IPL. It is very hard for me to see that he has not quite made it in international cricket yet, except for T20s partially. Maybe the T20s did ruin some of his batting, maybe too much money from the IPL took some of that hunger away or maybe he is just out of form in the ODIs. He can be a little bit more fit and should show his determination as time is running out unfortunately. It is afterall unfair for the players waiting for a chance to play at the international level. I am very afraid that he will not get to play any test cricket for India. He was unlucky for missing out earlier. Best of luck Rohit!!!

Posted by Ganesh_DRAVID on (October 12, 2012, 0:45 GMT)

Rohit - Your time is up, you should now be kicked out of the team and classified as former India player...Take Badrinath's case, did he get the kind of opportunities that you got? It is your attitude that is letting you down...Please make way for more talented players ...Badri defininitely needs to be given a long run in ODIs and Test especially...Good bye Rohit..

Posted by 3399 on (October 12, 2012, 0:32 GMT)

I think we should now look forward from rohit and raina there are many players in domestic cricket who are contiuously performing well, players like robin bist is the highest run getter in past two rajin trophy season what more a player like robin has to do to get a single chance..i hope new selection comitte will take some good and fair decision to make india once again on winning track..

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 23:56 GMT)

Please stop playing casual shots early in you innings...You are such pleasing to eyes when batting well..Please tighten your defense and playing on the rise to cover early in your innings. You and Kohli can take this Indian team to begin another golden era...Come on.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 21:32 GMT)

Mr. Rohit Sharma you are a T20 International Player either, if you've titled yourself as T20 IPL Player then that would be fine for some extent. You are just good for nothing, Immense Talent for the Home [Home = your own home not Indian pitches either]. So selector just throw this garbage from the Team India or just be ready to loose series by series. If you've given a 10yrs boys he would have done better than Rohit Sharma thats why I called him Nohit Besharma bcoz he don't even ask the selector or Captain to drop himself and gave someone chance.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 20:11 GMT)

If we select Pujara in ODI team soon we will get a Hashim Amla so as Raydu

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 20:09 GMT)

I think Raydu is another player with talent but he is having one quality that Rohith does not have that is attitude I bet if Raydu was in place of Rohith in T20 WC India should have won the WC and another player they should consider Ikbal abdulla

Posted by fnaindia on (October 11, 2012, 20:00 GMT)

Rohit is just useless..should be thrown out asap..this is what is wrong with indian cricket. You can't keep on giving chances to one guy, expecting tht person to perform one day..

Posted by mukesh_LOVE.cricket on (October 11, 2012, 19:53 GMT)

i sincerely think rohit sharma has to play in India test team (not ODI,at least not yet) , preferably at no.4 , yes his performance doesn't suggest he deserves a place in any team 4get tests , but he is a special talent and test cricket will give him enough time to settle down and play his game , drop him from ODI and select manoj tiwary , play rohit in tests and am sure it will benefit team India in the long run

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 19:36 GMT)

selectors are giving chances to Rohit believing he has a lot to offer to indian cricket. Please tell me what did Gambhir ,sehwag and raina did to play in test side for last two years.Rahane and Rohit havent made their test debuts yet. India should try Rohit and Rahane in 8 tests at home this year . Also check Rohit's domestik record in last two years it is better than rahane,manoj,raina,badri,vijay....

Posted by Raj12345 on (October 11, 2012, 17:31 GMT)

If Rohit selected again for ODI team, then that is really surprise for everyone. No one asking you score 100, score 10 runs if you given 10 balls. That is enought, Rohit making poor excuse here. He is the one came to ODI team when Karthik was there. What Karthik did wrong, he did 2 ODIs good and 2 ODIs failed, then he is gone forever. Rohit is not having more success than Karthik. Why there is a partiality here. Why don't Karthik deserve 13 ODIs chances to prove his case. This is question to Dhoni. Dhoni always shuffled 2nd WK spot among Karthik, Patel & Saha and not allowed any 2nd WK to settle their spot. Nice work done.

Posted by HURRICANE.Sehwag on (October 11, 2012, 17:29 GMT)

In a way rohit sharma is destroying the careers of several batsmen who could as well have settled down in the team as Kohli did given the number of chances given to him. He should go back to the domestic circuit and fight his way back to the team like Irfan Pathan did.

Posted by trueanalyst on (October 11, 2012, 17:29 GMT)

Mandeep Singh is the most brightest talent of the young lot. He has time and again proved his worth in New Zealand and Australia . he had hit 3 centuries including a 150 in a one day Quadrangular series involving India,SAF,Australia,NZ Under 19's and recently also hit a near double century in New Zealand against an attack that had 4 bowlers representing New Zealand in Test cricket. He also averages almost 60 in first class cricket . This season if he gets runs by bucketful he will get into the Indian team.

Posted by king_lion on (October 11, 2012, 17:22 GMT)

continued.......Someone like Kohli worked his ass off to achieve this technical mastery while Rohit just has it. But Rohit can produce this "class" only on his day and not consistently. That is the real problem. The second category of tactical brilliance (or power hitter) includes players like sehwag, gayle, Watson etc. These batsmen would make bowler change his mind. They will make bowler ball in to their scoring area using tactics. For example, sehwag would come down the pitch on a fuller ball. The bowler would then pitch it little short to avoid making fuller ball get hit for four. Sehwag will then go to back foot and have plenty of time to hit that ball for boundary. With their power hitting they would send bowler in to defensive mode and can manipulate to their advantage.

Posted by HURRICANE.Sehwag on (October 11, 2012, 17:22 GMT)

If aesthetic sense in shot making is the only criteria for being called as a batting talent then no other player could replace Rohit Sharma in the Indian side. However, it's not the case, take Virat Kohli for Example, he might not be the perfect textbook executioner but has metamorphosised into the most reliable batsman in the side as he could control his temperament and also kept away from distractions and in the process, maturing when it was required. At the end of the day all that matters is whether the team wins or loses so the logical selection would be that of the more consistent performers like Pujara, Tiwary, Badrinath etc.

Posted by sameer111111 on (October 11, 2012, 16:53 GMT)

Dont understand why someone like Pujara is not in the ODI team. It may be true that he does not hit big sixes, but he does average well above 55 in list A matches and has a healthy strike rate. His performance overseas in limited overs cricket for India A team has been great. And he also scored back to back centuries for India B, the first one was a classic. Rohit Sharma definitely needs to work hard on his batting and score some runs in domestic cricket before being given any more chances. And what is this nonsense of "dropping a player of his caliber could be damaging to his confidence". Just think what it has done to Manoj Tiwari's confidence though.

Posted by aby_prasad on (October 11, 2012, 16:44 GMT)

@roche209 heh heh tks man!

Posted by rosh280 on (October 11, 2012, 16:26 GMT)

Rohit, you prove it best when you get the chance. you are a classy player with great talents. no doubt about that. since rahane, tiwary, zaheer, gambir, sehwag, harbhajan, irfan all are performing well. you played well in the 20-20. we hope you will do well in one day format also. murali vijay, rohit and pujara are the players to watch other than yuvraj in the any format of the game. yuvraj, murali vijay, rohit and pujara have the skills to play all format of the game. i feel it is the right time that mandeep singh and ashok menaria should come into the team. all rounders like sunny singh, jalaj saxena, b kumar, surya kumar yadav should get the chance to prove their skill. rohit you proved it and will prove again that you are a great player. good luck rohit. you said it whatever in your mind. every one has his right to have his opinion. you say it that way. there is nothing much about it. you have to perform in the coming series and show you are a great talent.

Posted by SamRoy on (October 11, 2012, 16:02 GMT)

Rohit needs to kicked out of ODI side forever. Even in T20s his services for national team are not required. In the test match side he needs to be given at least 10-12 test matches. Raina has been given 17 and still averages below 30 and Yuvraj had been given about 35 tests and averages below 35. At least Rohit has better defence than those two.

Posted by RK.Chandru on (October 11, 2012, 15:38 GMT)

Funny! He talks as if he has only failed in one dayers. He is being tried for years without any success in almost all the forms. He must thank his stars for he got these many chances which none else got. It's time to look beyond Rohit to fill he void that's going to be left after the retirement of Sachin sooner (But then, would Sachin retire in the near future at all????) Btb, I also read Ishant Sharma's statements after his Duleep trophy match like, he's ready! and is, mentally physically stronger. Funny! how come these guys take their places for granted....

Posted by king_lion on (October 11, 2012, 15:38 GMT)

@Percy_Fender: here is what I would make of "class". There is a technical brilliance and a tactical brilliance for a batsman. To me class is a technical brilliance which does not necessarily bring consistent performances. A batsman with technical brilliance would play every ball as per the merit of ball. He would outdo a bowler with his technic of converting every difficult ball in to a scoring ball. A bowler can do no wrong and still go for runs playing against a technically brilliant batsman. These batsmen adjust to the ball in split of second and score runs. Every legendary cricketer ought to be a technically brilliant cricketer. Some of them worked very hard to achieve this technical brilliance while some would just have it. Rohit is of second category, however nowhere near legendary cricketers like sachin, lara, bradman etc. He has this ability to bring out most difficult shots in the cricket book with a ridiculous ease. continued....

Posted by CricEshwar on (October 11, 2012, 15:33 GMT)

A very bad interview from a tremendous talent. He lined up his justifications with excuses and does not look like in a frame of mind that is either positive or looking to improve. Rohit, you just lost a fan.

Posted by spb24 on (October 11, 2012, 15:13 GMT)

@Pacelikefire_Samrat : Thanks for your response..

@ Ankur Srivastav & CrissCross786: 200 % with your comments.

But still im unable to come out of Rohit statement on good form in T20.Probably he might meant that England game..if so little stats on that match....I remember he came in around 10th Over..Played 18 balls scored 17 runs..Upto start of 17th over.... damn no sign of aggression to increase the scoring rate.. knowing Raina & Yuvi still yet to come...At the last minute, some edges and some poor bowling from England...got some leg glance and few last min hits taken him to 50+..some how india struggeld to attain 170....But if anyone look from the game perspective we should have easily got into 190+ if he started to show some aggressiveness around 14th Over...Cant understand his ploy..Last death 4 or 5 overs will be bowled by frontline bowlers...Everyone knows its hard to get 10 rpo..Always team cant relay on death over scoring.....

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

for the betterment of India, Dhoni and the selectors should leave Rohit out of the squad.India have got a lot of potential and better batsmen than Rohit

Posted by Nampally on (October 11, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

"Hailed as the best batting talent in the World ---" by whom? i64 runs in 13 ODI's does not justify this praise. Rohit's defence is technically incorrect. He rarely uses straight bat in his half- cock forward defence. That is where he should start working. Learn to play straight bat defence & shots especially at the start of the innings - absolutely #1 priority. This has always brought his downfall if he reviews his dismissals. Secondly he needs to learn to be patient. He learnt Bang-Bang type of cricket in T 20. But this does not work in other formats. He cannot play slant or cross bat shots at the start of the innings straight away. How many times he played across the line of the ball trying to turn the ball towards on side & how many times he was OUT!. So basically the fundamentals of Rohit are all wrong for regular format. As a result, no matter how much talent he has got, it is all wasted. He has got to work on fundamentals & fast. Otherwise Rohit Sharma is history in my book.

Posted by biloo007 on (October 11, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

i think rohit should be dropped with immediate effect,,,a lot of contenders stronger and excellent player had perform on domestic circuit like pujara ,,rehanay,,indian bord wake up and save the team, wait to meet india team in december ,love frm pakistan

Posted by aravind077 on (October 11, 2012, 14:54 GMT)

ROHIT SHARMA is one of the most talented young cricketer but he not doing justice to his talent. if he continued playing like definitely he will lose his place in INDIAN team pemanently

Posted by Rajesh_india_1990 on (October 11, 2012, 14:47 GMT)

He is far better than mediocre players like imran nazir,malik,hafeez,DUCKmal brothers,asad shafiq,azhar ali...

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 14:46 GMT)

Time to get another man a shot at it....hopefully new selectors will show more guts and make Dhoni or newer captain change things around

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

some one stop taking this guys interview , how many chances he need to show his talent? There are many talents, Manoj Tiwary, Shikar Dhawan, Pujara , Unmukt so on... just try them please .. are you listening Sandeep Patil.

Posted by sachin.kale on (October 11, 2012, 14:06 GMT)

I think Rohit has exhausted his chances and we need to move on with it..We were expecting too much from him...even Yuvi is playing better than him after what he is been through. We are country of billion people, we will surely find someone more talented than him..For me Rohit's carrier is over, its worst thing to say but thats fact and we need to accept it.

Posted by Silver_Angels on (October 11, 2012, 14:03 GMT)

@passionatecricbug me too....................................... just was........ oh this guy admits

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

I hope he translates this T20 form into permanent retirement in all the forms of the game.

Posted by sony_sr on (October 11, 2012, 13:39 GMT)

its quite funny that rohit is best suited for longest version of the game and our selectors pick him for shortest version. simply give him 4 test matches at a go against eng and if he do not perfrom, forget about him for ever.

Posted by wolf777 on (October 11, 2012, 13:32 GMT)

Rohit Sharma has no talent to play top class cricket. He gives these 'talent is not translated into runs' types of interviews simply to make the selection committee feel guilty of wasting a great talent if he is not selected for the next series. If he had any talent, it would have shown in his career stats by now. 'Prince' Rohit needs to work on his cricket skills at domestic level for at least two years before he should be considered for further selection for any international games.

Posted by csr11 on (October 11, 2012, 13:13 GMT)

Rohit Sharma is not a newbie.. he has been around since 2007, he has had a long rope by any standards.. with the retirement of dravid and laxman, he had a golden chance to make an impact, be counted, and cement his place.. His excuses in this interview and others do not augur well.

Posted by passionatecricbug on (October 11, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

lol He said: "I've opened the batting, batted at numbers 3, 4, 7... I have batted wherever I have been asked to"......for a moment I almost thought he is mentioning his scores in recent odi games.

Posted by passionatecricbug on (October 11, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

BEWARE: Don't make negative comments about Nohit Sharma. Next time he will give us all a fitting reply by making 10 runs.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 12:49 GMT)

u damn cost us the semi-final berth...better get some grip on domestic games first..

Posted by roche209 on (October 11, 2012, 12:36 GMT)

@aby_manyu wow i had a nice laugh on reading your comment.. well said..

Posted by CrissCross786 on (October 11, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

T20 form? What T20 form?? Which T20 form is he talking about??25 off 27 balls at a stage where India need to beat SA by a 31 run margin.I am totally baffled.

Posted by gdkrishna on (October 11, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

Rohit Sharma is perfect replica of what Mohd. Ashraful is for B'desh! lots of hyped talent but never translated into fruitful performances; he will live in his own world to be the most talked one who fails despite giving n no. of chances.... it will be better if board looks and nourishes other talents like manoj tiwary et al and just leave rohit out.

Posted by rahulcricket007 on (October 11, 2012, 12:26 GMT)

@ashankar . THE REASON OF SACHIN SCORING A ODI HUNDRED IN 78 THE MATCH IS THAT FROM 1989 TO 1993 SACHIN PLAYED AT NO.6 POSITION IN ODIS , FROM 1993 SACHIN STARTED OPENING IN ODIS . WHAT ABOUT ROHIT ? HE MOSTLY PLAYED AT NO.4 OR 5 IN ODIS .

Posted by himohan007 on (October 11, 2012, 12:23 GMT)

Story teller says " If I was an opener, it would've given me time to go out there and figure things out." My memory says he batted there in WT20 at England. Can he tell us what was his contribution there.

Posted by himohan007 on (October 11, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

This guy says "I enjoy my stints in Twenty20. I sincerely hope I can adapt this to one-day cricket too, and do what I manage to do in T20.I have succeeded in this format(T20) regardless of conditions, batting order and any other factors. I hope it rubs off on other formats too." guys believe me he is such a talented story teller may be should work with James Cameroon for Avatar 2.

Posted by rahulcricket007 on (October 11, 2012, 12:17 GMT)

LOLZ WHICH T20 FORM HE IS TALKING ABOUT I ONLY SAW HIM GETTING OUT CHEAPLY AGAINST AUS , SA , AGFHANISTAN . HIS ONLY GOOD INNINGS CAME AGAINST ENGLAND .MAY BE HE IS TALKING ABOUT IPL T20 MATCHES .

Posted by himohan007 on (October 11, 2012, 12:16 GMT)

Rohit says "Nobody will back you just like that. And believe me, I'm putting in a lot of effort to repay that faith". REPAY does it mean MONEY. can someone explain.

Posted by Bruisers on (October 11, 2012, 12:12 GMT)

@Sakthiivel - O' really? 55* (33) v Eng, 56 (40) v Pak in warmups, 37 (26) v SL in warmups. His 25 against SA was an innings-rebuilding effort (just like Bravo's innings for T&T yesterday). He didn't even get to bat against Pak and Afg. So where is the 'Test match' performance you are talking about?

Posted by Pacelikefire_Samrat on (October 11, 2012, 12:03 GMT)

@SPB24:Thats a valid point u have raised-the way he keeps getting out.Partly the indian pitches are also 2 blame for that.Rohit just like most of the players around,plays around his front pad.In Indian conditions where the ball doesnt do much off the surface,he can get away with that.But when the ball does a bit,he is susceptible to the incoming delivery and the one going away from him will open him up and give the slip fielder or even the gully fieldsman catching practice.I also dont really understand what the commentators find "elegant" in that.At the best he can be a flat track bully,coming good in IPL where everything is heavily stacked in favour of batsmen.

Posted by SasiGladi on (October 11, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

Nothing else his class in batting saves him alot it is agreed he is getting most extended chances at the cost of highly potentials behind him (Tiwary) his lazy attitude is very disgusting might IPL money gave him such attitude...Earlier even VVS also crossed such situation he had extensive failure in Internationals but he kept on proving his potential in domestics it is his class got chance again and again...Guys dont jump as I am camparing the great with lazy guy I am just recalling the rough patch once the great had...Somehow I feel we still need rohits class in our line up...

Posted by premendrasinghal on (October 11, 2012, 11:50 GMT)

the ultimate frustration is your inclusion in team

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 11:49 GMT)

Dude, one question; when did you perform in 20-20 for India that you wish would rub off too other formats ? You have performed mainly in IPL or other non relevant cricket but not for INDIA from a long long time. You can have all the shots in the book and outside the book, but fans only love crickets who help their country win. Period.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (October 11, 2012, 11:34 GMT)

I have seen the likes of David Gower, Mark Waugh,and Laxman play. They were all great watching but also had the ability to concentrate and score big.They did not look lazy and just out of bed. Rohit Sharma does and that is his problem. He has the attributes of becoming a fine player at the international level if he can reduce about 5 kilos and keep doing the hard yards daily. He should take a leaf from the book of Sachin or Pujara.It is quite possible that the constant praise heaped on him by a section of the media causes reassurance to Rohit. Frankly speaking, just because one columnist says he is classy, many people say the same. The point is what is class. Is it aving additional time to play the stroke or having a water-tight defence or the ability to find gaps in the field or having the temperament to score big runs against different attacks all over the world. Just what do they mean when they use the word 'class' ? I would like some responses to this question of mine.

Posted by Sudaama on (October 11, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

Failures in ODIs frustrating???? What a Gr88888 records in Test Cricket

Posted by Rajeshj on (October 11, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

he was the favourite of chikka and dhoni and that's why in spite of numerous (actually countless) single-digit scores he still remains with the team.. Now Sandeep patil (from his own state) has become the chief selector... so don't worry Rohit, you keep playing as normally do and you are assured of a spot in the team for another 5 years... I can bet you, Manoj Tiwary or even Badrinath would have scored plenty of runs, if half of your chances were given to them... enjoy your luck Rohit...

Posted by PrinceLokesh on (October 11, 2012, 11:26 GMT)

Waste fellow,dont tell stories

Posted by PrinceLokesh on (October 11, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

Dont make fun ROHIT,u r keep on telling the same stories,doing nothing.u have a big casual attitude towards game,see virat..should learn from him.he translates him into a mature cricketer

People are telling that u r more talented than him,but i dont believe.sorry to say this,i was frustrated watching u,oftenly people are comparing you with vinod kambli.

Posted by rosh280 on (October 11, 2012, 11:06 GMT)

Rohit, you have to come down the order at no.4, before virat kohli. you are a great player with technique. indian captain think tank should care a lot about it. everyone question the batting techniques of virat kohli. A great fast bowler like macgrath can now the weakness of the bowling and bowl it. virat kohli batting style is like s ramesh who used to bat for india. you have great skills you try to improve them. you can be a part of the one day team as well. rohit, cheteswar pujara, mandeep singh and ashok menaria are the great players with skills. if we had these players indian team can improve a lot.

Posted by spb24 on (October 11, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

Every sportman will have a bad patch.No body denies that.But series after series commiting same kind of mistakes, makes to raise all the questions....How many times we have witnessed him playing late for those inswinging deliveries & getting bowled or lbw.Same goes to outswinging deliveries getting caught in the slips...Even if he plays good shots, commentators taging him as "Lazy Elegance". He has to think why did he got that tag....that will answer all his problem....Talent has to be sandwitched with temperment. Also in this article, mentioned about his good form in T20 and going to carry that to ODI.Sorry Rohit...Seriously one of the selfish series for him.Not sure if he played for a avg/spot/landmark.In T20 Playing 15-20 balls scoring 35-40runs is what required from the great caliber/supreme players that would have re-written the script.

Posted by rosh280 on (October 11, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

Rohit sharma is a prolific player with tremendous skills. What i notice most of the time is rohit you are not concentrating on the ball. you had gone out most of the time. you could practice yoga meditation technique. you can improve a lot. you have great shots in your armour. you proved that in 20-20. The people who try to criticize you will criticize all the time. you are a proud maharashtrian cricket player after sachin tendulkar our legend hero. A lot of players from maharashtra are avoided recently. you are the only player after ajith agarkar into the team. There are lot of players in maharashtra who can be part of the team surya kumar yadav, h h khadiwale, n s naredkar, a a darekar. if rohit tries to score initially a 20-30 runs in singles and fours then you can not keep him out. runs flow from his bat. practice well. you are one player with chance of great leadership and you can be a captain. you are simple and straightforward

Posted by aby_prasad on (October 11, 2012, 10:38 GMT)

LORD OF THE NETS , Rohit Sharma! Whenever he gets out for a duck, he goes back and scores a century in vengeance!.........erm in the nets! best promising talent till death.........he luvs to be promising for ever :P.

Posted by criclpassion on (October 11, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

A batsman of Rohit's calibre needs test cricket to gain confidence. Its amazing to see Raina getting so many chances at the highest level despite being exposed agains shor pitghed bowling. once Rohot perfprms better in test cricket he'll start justifying his immense talent

Posted by Sakthiivel on (October 11, 2012, 10:14 GMT)

He tell himself that he is in good T20 Form.He played like test match in WC T20, played for his place not for the country. Drop him from the squad.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 10:04 GMT)

The fact is that BCCI see potential in Rohit as a long term prospect and they are prepared to give him a long run in the hope that he can find his form back. Remember, how they gave chances to Virat in tests even after failures.

They see Rohit as a potential test player as well and with the retirements of the big three and impending one of sachin combined with poor form of sehwag is probably making them give Rohit more chances and hope that he succeeds.

Rohit is a class player and has done it in the past. But, he hasnt been able to do it in internationals of late.

Posted by cricprasu on (October 11, 2012, 9:56 GMT)

@criclogics : Dear mate, he may be a good batsman, but based on his debut records or one series performance,he shouldn't be carried along with the team..the only fact that today why he is in the team even after the repeated failures is, he is from mumbai( maharashtra)..even though is a good batsman he failed to proove at internatiol level so many times...

Posted by satish619chandar on (October 11, 2012, 9:42 GMT)

If it is frustrating for himself, think about the cricket fans, Indian fans and Rohit fans themselves!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 9:34 GMT)

I am remembered of an article by Cricinfo during the T20 world cup which was comparing the Indian WC 07 team and the team that played the last edition. About Rohit, the writer wrote, 'He looked promising then and he still looks promising' A fitting jibe at some one who has, all his life, just looked promising. His temperament is a major issue, talent is not and perhaps would never be. He is such a gifted player. On his day he can strike the ball so beautifully that you fail to believe if he is the same guy who couldn't get a single double digit score in 5 innings on a subcontinent pitch. He needs to focus and prize his wicket. May be Virat can teach him a few lesson.

Posted by Rohan_K on (October 11, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

To be realistically making a comeback(into form), pack your kit bag and leave this T20 arena and hope not to be selected in national squad for ODI series. Play all domestic first class games, go for English domestic season if you can be hired if not you can atleast play minor counties or domestic 4day cricket in Ireland or Scotland. Target to reach India's Test squad for SA tour in 2013. You have the talent than most other young players in the squad especially to handle short pitch bowling (dont want to name them).The more four day cricket you play the more you will perform in other forms as well.

Posted by SudharsanVM on (October 11, 2012, 9:30 GMT)

In the complete interview to TOI, Rohit when questiond about his fitness, has answered in one such way. Thats a ridiculous way to answer. Comeone Rohit, u r professional and needs to stay fit enough and cant compare with non-sportsmen. This guy can succeed dhoni in giving excuses.

Posted by rprabhusubramanian on (October 11, 2012, 9:27 GMT)

I actually wonder when he came to form in 20 2o matches... And also what makes dhoni think that he can still be in form... utter foolishness. Moreover Manoj Tiwary is a better player in all means compared to Rohit in all means...

Posted by Rohan_K on (October 11, 2012, 9:16 GMT)

Since 2007 when he made his debut in internalional cricket with few good knocks in T20 WC and ODIs in OZ. All he required then was a Test berth where he can turn from an average cricketer to a stable middle order batsman, he though got inside the squad but was injured on the day of the test match. Later he had couple of good Ranji seasons. He toured Austarlia, got starts on tour games and despite multiple failures from our line up he never was picked in the playing XI. Then came his run of poor scores in limited overs cricket. The fact i am insisting is Test match cricket matures a cricketer big time. To playing international cricket and not playing a test match of 5 years is something the selectors can ponder on. Viraat's become a prolific player post his Test debut and its showing in all forms of cricket. The only way out for Rohit is forget T20 and try and play first class cricket in England or even Minir counties for that matter. More and more four day cricket will improve him.

Posted by Pacelikefire_Samrat on (October 11, 2012, 9:15 GMT)

Boy,I would sure love to be in Rohit Sharma's shoes.A lifetime ago,I remember him making a fifty against the Aussies and since then he has been touted as the next big thing.There have been players who have performed consistently well in the domestic circuit and even in the few opportunities that they have got,but still find out themselves out of the team.I fail to understand how Rohit manages to stay in the limelight all the time-he is always in the side,no matter however he bad he performs and ex-cricketers,commentators and writers keep talking about him time and again and worse keep referring to him as the greatest talent in the world right now.Here is a guy who performs only in the IPL and still he gets this much mileage.Mr.Rohit,maybe if they pay the same amount of money in Intl cricket you would perform at the same level.Till then,these articles will keep on coming and even in 2022,you would still be talked about as the greatest ├┐oung" talent around.Shame on the selectors.

Posted by Navin2015 on (October 11, 2012, 9:09 GMT)

rohit shouldn't dropped ....he can bat under pressure...

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (October 11, 2012, 9:07 GMT)

'...batted at numbers 3, 4, 7... I have batted wherever I have been asked to," and "I'm anyway not allowed such excuses." this is an entirely valid point. as a batsman you coming into an international team you must have a settled position to build confidence. different positions in different formats present different challenges. if sachin refused to move from his favoured no 4 position when dravid opened the batting in eng when he was the only other batter with the technique and experience for those conditions then a talent player like rohit deserves a chance at a settled position. it should be remembered that whilst rohit is not in the same class as sachin at his peak it took sachin 80+ games before he registered his 1st odi century. his comment on fitness is typical of problems bcci has to address. why does it 5 fives to understand fitness regime? what are the physios / dieticians doing? provide the resources from a young age so that these players can take care of themselves properly

Posted by SudharsanVM on (October 11, 2012, 9:04 GMT)

Come on Rohit, accept ur fault. Dont compare urself with yuvi. Dont tel that u will get improved in future. Which means u will hit six sixes in 2014WT20 and will follow it Man of the series in 2015 WC just like yuvi. It all depends on ur recent form Nohit.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 9:04 GMT)

looking at his recent shows all i can say he is a best talent and worst performer at international level.......now people are of sick of india's best talented player....

Posted by Naresh28 on (October 11, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

Talent and hard work made KHOLI successful just like it did for Kumble, Sachin, Laxman,Dravid etc. Rohit Sharma belongs to the lazy category.

Posted by SudharsanVM on (October 11, 2012, 8:58 GMT)

The Fact is "The Word talent exists in English Dictionary, Which is not applicable to Rohit". Someone has wrongly compared the word talent with Rohit.

Posted by criclogics on (October 11, 2012, 8:56 GMT)

Till dec 2011, Rohit had played 72 ODIs and scored at an average of 34+ which is decent. Almost all TV commentators agreed that here was potential. Now that he has failed this year, one needs to support him and not deride him. That he is picked to play is not his fault. That Tiwari or Rahane are asked to sit out is not his fault. Fans in India are the worst. They Put a player on a pedestal one day and then trample him the next day. I wonder what would you guys say when Kohli goes through a bad patch! @Dharmendra, Rohit was one of your star batsmen in T20 WC 2007. Check out his innings in the ODI triseries final in Australia on debut. Check his record last year in WI and in India. Dont just write rot cos you can. And I am no big fan of Rohit. I prefer Kohli and Pujara more.

Posted by ilovusenthil on (October 11, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

If you give someone chance for 80-90 matches obviously his batting will click at some stage. That's the case with Rohit here. Selectors are blocking a talented player getting into the team by selecting Rohit. I wonder how the heck he still get so much support after SO MUCH FAILURES.

Posted by ashankar on (October 11, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

I read the complete interview in TOI and to a question Rohit has answered that people are impatient and want to see results immd. I just wonder what does he mean by that. Look, Sachin scored his first 100 (ODI) after 78 matches. But what makes him or made him the best was his test hundreds in Aus and England where he countered World class fast bowlers. The reality now is that Cricket has grwon so well in India that Manoj Tiwary, Rahane and so many other players that we dont know dont get a chance and waiting for it. So Rohit should understand series after series failure is no impatience from the people, rather we want to see other 'talents' in action. IMHO, Rohit should be dropped if Bhajji can be dropped. Only then you will get to see the other talent in place of Rohit.

Posted by jimbond on (October 11, 2012, 8:25 GMT)

I hope he gets to play at least one test in his life. Given the present situation, most people have already written him off before he has been given one chance. I hope the selectors think differently. There is no apparent logic of why he fails in ODI's but he does. That the clinching factor. So does Sehwag - again for no apparent reason. Best to keep these guys away from ODIs and let them focus on tests. Yuvraj on the other hand, is at home in ODIs, as is Raina. Let them be ODI specialists, and better to have three different teams- maybe a few overlaps like Kohli in his current form. Otherwise we can have Yusuf Pathan, Manoj Tiwari in T-20, Pujara and Rahane in tests etc.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 8:17 GMT)

Cmon BCCI there r players like shikar dhawan, manoj tiwary, Rahane waiting t b in the 11..... We cant jus keep him playing in th Indian team..... Some players r jus IPL-Material.... N Rohit Sharma is one of them...

Posted by muniaaandi on (October 11, 2012, 8:12 GMT)

dear Rohit...you are the biggest waste of the Indian team..whenever you join the team..the team also becomes waste...India won the 2011 WC because you were not in the squad...the team failed following all the major events after WC because you were in the squad..you are a disgusting player....you are living by your non-existing talent...one help you can do is stay away from the team and give Tiwary a chance...He got a good future...if you are in the team ..you can spoil him also...!!!!!!!! plsssssss stay away from Indian team,...!!!!!

Posted by rambalireddy on (October 11, 2012, 8:09 GMT)

I hope rohit will hit back.. He is playing superbly in domestic tourneys/ipl/clt20.. But failing to transform that form into internationals.. I think he need some guidence from the seniors like sachin.. Give him another run will be worthfull..

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 8:02 GMT)

In my opinion Rohit got the talent as good as any other batsman in indian team. I enjoy the way he bats. Looks very calm and cool at the crease. Its just a bad phase of his life. Hope it goes as soon as possible. Good luck Rohit

Posted by Narbavi on (October 11, 2012, 7:57 GMT)

All the while he has been trying to give excuses saying he doesn't want to give excuses, and no you are wrong when u said you have done something right in the past, i really hope guys like Rahane Tiwary Badrinath and others are given a long run from now on, and unlike you they will take their chances i believe!!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 7:50 GMT)

SUCCESS ??? You must be Kidding me here !! If he would have played real t20 we would have made better runs with SA, he didn't even make run a ball, if he thinks he was playing ODI there then also it was at its worst. Show your talent with the national side, unlike in IPL/CL t20.

Country Fixtures Country Results
1st ODI: Eng Women v India Women at Scarborough
Aug 21, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Middlesex v Indians at Lord's
Aug 22, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
2nd ODI: Eng Women v India Women at Scarborough
Aug 23, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
1st ODI: England v India at Bristol
Aug 25, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
3rd ODI: Eng Women v India Women at Lord's
Aug 25, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »