India news

'Didn't want to break down in front of Yuvraj' - Tendulkar

ESPNcricinfo staff

March 19, 2013

Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are pleased to be in the World Cup final, India v Pakistan, 2nd semi-final, World Cup 2011, Mohali, March 30, 2011
Sachin Tendulkar: "When I saw my wife discussing medical terms with Yuvraj, I realised what he had been going through." © Associated Press
Harsha Bhogle : The compelling story of Yuvraj Singh
Players/Officials: MS Dhoni | Sachin Tendulkar | Yuvraj Singh
Teams: India

Sachin Tendulkar has said he was scared of breaking down in front of Yuvraj Singh when they met in London after Yuvraj's treatment for a rare germ cell cancer in the United States. Tendulkar was speaking in Delhi at the release of Yuvraj's book The Test of My Life: From Cricket to Cancer and Back.

"When I went to meet him in London, I was telling my wife that I don't want to break down when I see him," Tendulkar said. "I met him and gave him a tight hug. We enjoyed a meal, and from the way he ate I was convinced that he was back on track.

"When I saw my wife discussing medical terms with Yuvraj, I realised what he had been going through. He is like my younger brother and I would ask God why it (the illness) had to happen to Yuvraj."

Yuvraj recollected his first meeting with Tendulkar. "My first conversation was when I was looking at him in awe at the dressing room, suddenly he said, 'please pass on the biscuits.'" To this Tendulkar replied, "I have not got those biscuits till now."

Apart from Tendulkar, India captain MS Dhoni also spoke about Yuvraj's fight with cancer. Dhoni said he knew about Yuvraj's situation even before he was told about it. "When his test reports came, someone told me he has cancer," Dhoni said. "I just said 'are you sure?' The person repeated that Yuvraj has cancer. I was shocked."

Following his return from the United States after his treatment for mediastinal seminoma, Yuvraj set up a cancer charity called Youwecan, which focuses on spreading cancer awareness and early detection.

Several players who spoke at the event in conversation with Yuvraj and Harsha Bhogle said they had seen Yuvraj cough and throw up repeatedly during the 2011 World Cup, but assumed they were throat or stomach problems. Yuvraj was named Player of the Tournament for the World Cup and described the moment after Dhoni hit a six to win the final for India.

"I was running towards Mahi to hug him and he was running towards the stumps." Dhoni had said he'd made a run for the stumps because otherwise the rest of the players would make a grab for them.

During his stay in Indianapolis for cancer treatment, Yuvraj said he had followed India's matches in Australia and admitted to feeling "sad" at not being involved. "I would watch videos of my batting until one day Anil Kumble came to visit me and shut my laptop. He said I should forget about cricket and concentrate on my recovery." The only time Yuvraj found himself "jumping" with excitement and joy during two difficult months of chemotherapy was on hearing about Virat Kohli's century in Adelaide.

The India team and support staff were called onto the stage for photographs, but as the players went up Virender Sehwag stayed seated. Yuvraj called out to him and said, "Veeru, main bhi team main nahin noon, tum bhi team main nahin ho - chal aa jaa [I'm also not in the (Test) team, you're also not in the team - come on up]." Sehwag did with a smile on his face.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (March 21, 2013, 16:11 GMT)

@Albert_cambell: Is it so Einstein ? Then why the hell couldn't many players who played like Sachin for many years barely manage 10,000 runs, let alone 20,000 ???? Come back with stats and a convincing answer.

Posted by EverybodylovesSachin on (March 21, 2013, 12:23 GMT)

Sachin and Yuvi will always be in the hearts of every cricket fan around the world..May God continue to bless both of them..

Posted by bored_iam on (March 21, 2013, 12:07 GMT)

@Albert_cambell: Its a loop isnt it? If u score, u play on. If u play on, u score. Tell me how many people have lasted this long with that consistency.

Posted by adarsh42 on (March 21, 2013, 10:37 GMT)

In his 2nd ODI and 1st innings,yuvraj played a good innings against Australia and scored 84.I become a fan of him from that particular innings,how he pulled the short balls.Another thing is at any critical situation when he is coming for batting,he always tries to win the game for India.Everyone should agree,who have seen his batting till now he has capable of win the game for India if he will stand for 15-20 overs.One of greatness in his carrer that,during the 2011 World Cup he had cancer still he put his all efforts as batting,bowling and fielding and get selected as Man Of the Tournament.I am proud to be a fan of him as God of cricket Sachin Tendulkar praised him.

Posted by   on (March 21, 2013, 8:53 GMT)

Emotional article !!!! YuVi Proud to be ur Fan!!!

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 17:59 GMT)

emotional article I must say.. Yuvi has always been the star of Indian cricket.. Nobody can forget his six sixes against Broad during the T20 match against England.. Great that he has recovered

Posted by sharidas on (March 20, 2013, 16:36 GMT)

Reading the article, I, an Indian, at my age of 63 felt as emotional as the rest of Yuvaraj's teammates or rather my team. Make no mistake, I feel the same camaraderie with our team and the last paragraph only strengthened that feeling. All the best boys....you are a fantastic lot !

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 15:56 GMT)

Now how many players gets called by sachin as his own brother.... YUVI u r lucky

Posted by Albert_cambell on (March 20, 2013, 15:42 GMT)

Sachin is an overrated cricketer. Anyone can score over 20000 if he played cricket over 23 years. So its not a big deal. Just take a look at alistair cook. He made his debut in 2006 and alraedy scored over 7000 runs in 7 years. By the time he leaves the game he would have over 16000 runs.

Posted by torsha on (March 20, 2013, 14:56 GMT)

Long live Yuvi and Sachin!

Posted by ProdigyA on (March 20, 2013, 13:56 GMT)

Yuvi - You are the rockstart of Indian ODI cricket, hope you do well as always.

Posted by keptalittlelow on (March 20, 2013, 12:03 GMT)

I am a Pakistani but I must admit I was very sad to hear about Yuvi's cancer, and throughout his illness I earnestly prayed for his full recovery. I am delighted to see this brilliant young man is back on track, Thanks God.

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (March 20, 2013, 11:39 GMT)

I remember when I first became of Yuvraj - that incredible partnership with Kaif in the final of the 2002 NatWest final in England. He was a gun in the field and played some high quality innings after that and much was expected from both of them. I have sympathy for Kaif whose was treated harshly by Cricket India but Yuvraj was given far more chances. But overall I feel he has underachieved as a player of his ability. It's important however to separate his battle against cancer and and the issue of his selection Admittedly it's is difficult to do this without bringing some emotion into it but Yuvraj's selection based on sympathy and not form and fitness is unfair to all other players fighting for a place. Moreover for Yuvraj to be recalled to the test team based on merit would be a true testament to the man himself and in particular his mental strength and powers of recovery. Anything less would be an insult.

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 9:57 GMT)

@Haleos: There is nothing negative in Viru's attitude. Try to sit with colleagues after you have been kicked out of your company. You would know the feeling.

What an explanation.. hahaha :D

Posted by snbirdi on (March 20, 2013, 9:46 GMT)

There was an article by Greg Chappell not too long ago where he pointed out Sehwag's selfish and bad attitude mentioning things like whenever he scored big, he would stop coming to practice which would start taking his game downhill again.

I'm not a fan of Chappell so I chose not to look too much into that statement, but now, reading the last paragraph of this article, I say, thanks for the entertainment Sehwag, but good riddance buddy. Stay away from the team.

Posted by sweetspot on (March 20, 2013, 9:11 GMT)

The Yuvraj Singh saga brought so many blessings and prayers from Pakistani and other non-Indian fans, and gratitude from Indian fans to all of them. For this alone, Yuvi is part of a very, very special story in the history of cricket.

We have seen how our human concerns rise way above our petty competitiveness. For that, we have to thank Yuvi for being the messenger. I wouldn't wish this sort of mission on anyone, but then, Yuvraj the new avatar is a spiritual prince. Just great to see.

Posted by Amit_13 on (March 20, 2013, 9:08 GMT)

It is amazing how often we as fans forget the human frailities of our heroes. Heroes to us are indesctructible... in the same way The HULK is to a 5 year old. And it takes something of this magnitude to make us understand, appreciate and respect their personal attributes.

Their gift is to turn us into 5 year olds. We can only return their gift by treating them as a young adult with the same issues as you and me with the added problem that pretty much everyone knows about it. And minus the time we have had to develop answers for everyday problems.

What they have shown for each other on stage is only what we would do for our close ones. To be that superhero and still do it is... greatness!

Posted by TRAM on (March 20, 2013, 7:56 GMT)

Sufferings are same whether it is a sportsman or common man. Yes I do feel the pain of suffering people, but it is not any greater for a cricketer than for a man on the roadside platform. Sufferings are same be it me, or Yuvi or a beggar on the street.

Posted by arun.sundar.s on (March 20, 2013, 7:17 GMT)

nice to know cricketers have nice rapport off the field too :)

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 7:09 GMT)

Being a Pakistani, I still felt a lot for Yuvraj. Quality all rounder which the game desperately needed back. I hope he stays fit for whatever amount of years that are left in him because he not just a cricketer, he is an inspiration.

Posted by Haleos on (March 20, 2013, 6:56 GMT)

@ Naikan - Yuvi could have been a great test player had he got chance early but we had two so called greats sitting there like stones. One was at least scoring runs but another played on after just one magical knock. Happens only in India.

Posted by Haleos on (March 20, 2013, 6:54 GMT)

Good to know all the seniors share a happy friendship. Good luck Yuvi with your charity but please make sure it remains such and not become a business. God bless u all. Hope to see u back in all formats. @ amit.chippa - There is nothing negative in Viru's attitude. Try to sit with colleagues after you have been kicked out of your company. You would know the feeling.

Posted by KEDARCRIC on (March 20, 2013, 6:36 GMT)

It's all about bonding with other players by Sachin Sir,hats of to you Sir. Yuvi you have set an example for others,proud of you sir.

Posted by Pathiyal on (March 20, 2013, 6:11 GMT)

wish uv great success ahead...i wish he upgrade his test capabilities and feature in test matches soon. great to see him in ODIs for now.

Posted by Collegefastbowler on (March 20, 2013, 6:10 GMT)

SRT is in the twilight phase of his career and he and the selectors need to take a call on when he needs to make way for new talent. A lot of fine younger players are knocking at the doors. He has a lot of experience and knowledge and can definitely contribute as a batting coach but should retire gracefully when he is still at the top of his form. People should ask why are you retiring now rather than when are you retiring.

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 6:05 GMT)

Gud luck Yuvi..dont look back from here on.....U r a super star........nd will always shine...........................................

Posted by Rahul_78 on (March 20, 2013, 5:46 GMT)

Even the Kohinoor diamond had to go under the hard process of loosing its rough edges to get its aura and luster. Yuvi has survived the ordeal and sure came back as better person and cricketer. All the best champ!

Posted by amit.chippa on (March 20, 2013, 5:10 GMT)

Last paragraph! Hahaha... it shows Yuvi's sporting spirit and Sehwag's Negative Attitude!

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 4:51 GMT)

India has too much talent being wasted ,and i refer to their middle order and lower order batting ,thier league of spinners and the most crucial mistake they have made is their lack of quality fast bowlers.What the hell has happened to Ishant Sharma ???? He is both down in pace ,and form to be honest ,he looks a brutal shadow of himself and should be dropped to revive his game ,focus and career. Harbajhan Singh, good servant of Indian Cricket ,but he has lost his sizzle ,time to gracefully . The bosses have called for the axing of Dravid ,Laxman ,Sewagh and Tendulkar ...they have one left to go ...Seriously ??? After Sewahgs many exploits with the bat in farcial circumstances ,Dravid's grit and determination ,Laxman proving time again his ability to be an X factor ,and Tendulkar ,who needs no justification as to why he is there in the team ...administration wants them gone .Dhoni has not lived up to potential as a batsman ,he can and should be doing better!!!!!

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 4:45 GMT)

Loved by all....!! We can know it from the words of the little master....

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 4:41 GMT)

Sachin, Your character is an ornament to your enormous achievement. you are unassumingly modest and absolutely genuine. All mothers in the world will pray for a son like Sachin

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 4:40 GMT)

Wow .... Can we have a Video footage for whole program of Yuvi' s Book release.....

Posted by sporty_ankit on (March 20, 2013, 4:32 GMT)

It happens only in India. . . :)

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 4:31 GMT)

Tendulkar said. "I met him and gave him a tight hug. We enjoyed a meal, and from the way he ate I was convinced that he was back on track" Hahahaha....the way Punjabis eat!!!

Posted by sandy_bangalore on (March 20, 2013, 4:15 GMT)

He is an absolute champion! A role model for all young cricketers. Hope he makes a comeback soon

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 3:00 GMT)

Nothing impossible in life.A great respect for Yuvraj Singh.

Posted by kapowie on (March 20, 2013, 2:37 GMT)

Biscuits? Lol. Funny article

Posted by   on (March 20, 2013, 2:00 GMT)

this is what frendship is all about

Posted by 777aditya on (March 20, 2013, 1:44 GMT)

Everyone has always loved Yuvraj for his feats on the ground, but after he defeated cancer, he has also rightfully gained everyone's utmost respect. Long live Yuvraj - Tussi babbar sher ho, Punjabiyon da tashan, te India di shaan ho!

Posted by vish2020 on (March 19, 2013, 22:14 GMT)

Can't wait to read the book. A real fighter. Playing and winning man of the tournament while battling with cancer. A cricket first. Man if he was an Australian or British they would be going crazy over his story and accomplishment. Look how crazy they made lance armstrong. In India or south asia in general, appreciation doesn't go as much

Posted by bijumonssss on (March 19, 2013, 19:31 GMT)

yuvi........ u r ... awesome!!!! . we r always with u!!!

Posted by   on (March 19, 2013, 19:02 GMT)

These people spend more time with each other than with their families... A bond of a very special type is inevitable!!! LOvely :)

Posted by   on (March 19, 2013, 18:43 GMT)

last line of the article shows what has cancer taught yuvraj. endearing :)

Posted by   on (March 19, 2013, 18:40 GMT)

yuvraj singh is an fighter ..... and the words from sachin, dhoni & sehwag are very emotional !!!!!!!

Posted by   on (March 19, 2013, 18:29 GMT)

its true how we wonder these players lead there life. I mean apart from cricket they are like family and we so easily tend to forget that. feels good that u r not thinking all about competition but u have heart for each other as well....

Posted by   on (March 19, 2013, 18:26 GMT)

Wow! Nice insight of the dressing room. Yuvraj is such a chill dude.

Country Fixtures Country Results
Final: Central Zone v South Zone at Delhi
Oct 29-Nov 2, 2014 (09:30 local | 04:00 GMT | 00:00 EDT | 23:00 CDT | 21:00 PDT)
India A v Sri Lankans at Mumbai (BS)
Oct 30, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 22:30 CDT | 20:30 PDT)
1st ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Cuttack
Nov 2, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST)
2nd ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad
Nov 6, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST)
South Zone: Andhra v Karnataka in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
East Zone: Assam v Tripura in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
West Zone: Baroda v Mumbai in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
East Zone: Bengal v Odisha in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
North Zone: Delhi v J + K in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
South Zone: Goa v Tamil Nadu in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
West Zone: Gujarat v Maharashtra in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
North Zone: Haryana v Punjab in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
North Zone: H. Pradesh v Services in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
South Zone: Hyderabad v Kerala in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)
Central Zone: Railways v U. Pradesh in India (venue TBA)
Nov 7, 2014 (03:30 GMT)