Tendulkar retires

The day after

A relaxed Sachin Tendulkar spoke about the reasons behind his decision to retire and his final day on the cricket field

Nagraj Gollapudi

November 17, 2013

'I'll remain involved with cricket' - Sachin Tendulkar

A visibly relaxed Sachin Tendulkar addresses the media, Mumbai, November 17, 2013
A day after his retirement, Sachin Tendulkar was relaxed in his appearance and his body language © Hindustan Times

At 6.50am on Sunday morning Sachin Tendulkar woke up in the Indian team hotel and made a cup of tea for himself. On Saturday morning, too, Tendulkar had woken up at the same time and made a cup of tea. The difference was, on Saturday Tendulkar was getting ready to play his final day in international cricket. "When I woke up, I suddenly realised that I don't need to have a quick shower and get ready for the match," a relaxed Tendulkar spoke of his first morning as former India player. "I made myself a cup of tea, and enjoyed a nice breakfast with my wife. It was a relaxed morning."

Even as he spent a lot of time responding to people's wishes on his phone, cricket continued to be on Tendulkar's mind. "I don't know why it has not sunk in that I am not going to play more cricket," he said. "Somewhere or the other I will go and play." A bond of 30 years is hard to shake off in 30 hours.

Tendulkar had once said it was difficult for him to imagine life without cricket. A day after he was given a ceremonious and emotional farewell after India's Test series win against West Indies in Mumbai on Saturday, Tendulkar was relaxed in his appearance, in his body language, in his words.

According to Tendulkar, the decision to retire came as soon as he realised that going for training was becoming "an effort". Immediately the "question marks" started appearing, an indication from his body it was time to draw the curtains.

"You have to appreciate that there were many injuries during the 24 years," Tendulkar said. "It wasn't easy to overcome it. At some point in your life, your body gives you the message, 'Enough. Enough of this physical load.' The body requires rest. I thought the body is refusing to take that load consistently. If I have to train, it was becoming an effort. Earlier training sessions used to happen by themselves. Nowadays, sometimes I even felt that I should just sit and watch TV. That's when question marks arise. So when I tried to look for answers to those questions, I found out this was the perfect time to leave the game."

However, the world, at least some of the media, it appeared, already wanted him to start a new life, one that they felt would be appropriate for him. A reporter wondered if Tendulkar could actually keep himself together without cricket. Another enquired if he had plans to open a cricket academy. Yet another asked him if he would push for cricket to be an Olympic sport now that he had been bestowed with the Bharat Ratna, India's biggest civilian honour. A middle-aged photographer stood up impromptu, and congratulated Tendulkar on the award and wished he be knighted next so people could address him as Sir Sachin Tendulkar.

Tendulkar took in all the questions and wishes and desires of the people with equanimity, without ever once dismissing anything. He even cracked some witty remarks, to elicit laughter and applause in equal measure. "I have played cricket for 24 years, it has been only 24 hours since retirement, and I think I should get at least 24 days to relax before deciding these things," Tendulkar said with a big smile.

On Saturday, a few hours after he left the cricket field, the Indian government had announced the Bharat Ratna. Tendulkar dedicated it to his mother Rajni. According to him, for the numerous sacrifices she had made to make sure her son's career would prosper, he couldn't repay her enough. Tendulkar went on to extend that same compliment to the "millions of mothers" who had been equally selfless to see their children have a successful future. An instant applause filled up the room in appreciation of that remark.

For Tendulkar the most heartfelt moment arrived when his childhood coach Ramakant Achrekar, himself a Dronacharya Award winner, called him up and wished his student for the first time in his life, "Well done." Tendulkar today explained why his coach had waited for 24 years to give him the compliment.

"I have reached this level because of Sir, and he and my brother Ajit have been a team - on and off the field," Tendulkar said in Marathi, his mother tongue. "Off the field, at home. Sir has been the reason I got this far, Sir and other coaches. When I got the Bharat Ratna, Sir called me, and finally said, "Well done." That gave me immense joy."

Sachin Tendulkar pays his respects to the Wankhede pitch, India v West Indies, 2nd Test, Mumbai, 3rd day, November 16, 2013
"I just thanked cricket for everything I got in my life," Sachin Tendulkar said. "It was as simple as that. Nothing complicated." © BCCI

There have been many Tendulkar photographic memories over the last two-and-a-half decades. On Saturday, amid all the outpouring of emotions, the most memorable image was that of Tendulkar, all alone, in his whites, walking towards the Wankhede pitch. As the crowd cried "Sachiiiin, Saachin", Tendulkar observed the 22 yards from close, bowed down, rubbed the red soil with his palm and applied it to his heart and head as a mark of worship and gratitude. Today he revealed those 22 yards were the "temple" where "his life started", and the stature he had reached in life and cricket was possible only due the cricket pitch.

"I knew that never ever in my life I would get to do that in an international match," Tendulkar said, choking a little. "That is where it all started. Those 22 yards have given me everything in my life. Whatever I have today is because I spent time within those 22 yards. It's like a temple for me. I just wanted to say a big thank you to cricket. Every time I go to bat, I touch the wicket and take blessings. That's what I did yesterday. I didn't say publicly. I just thanked cricket for everything I got in my life. It was as simple as that. Nothing complicated."

What made the moment emotional for Tendulkar was the realisation that it was all over. He didn't want the world to notice that emotion. "When I went to the wicket, and I stood there, I realised this is the last time I am standing in front of a packed stadium actually as a part of the Indian team," Tendulkar said. "This would never happen. That was very emotional. I couldn't control my tears. Knowing that I would never have a cricket bat in my hand playing for India was very, very emotional. There have been wonderful moments, and I could think of all those things. It happened very fast.

"You would have noticed, I didn't want to be rude, but I could not look up when I was shaking hands, including with West Indies players, because I was in tears, and I didn't want anyone to see my face that way. It's hard to express what I felt, but in spite of all these things I knew the decision was correct. I know the decision is right."

During his long career Tendulkar remained on top of his game barring the last phase of his career where his form had become streaky. Tendulkar, though, said that the biggest challenge of his career was not form but dealing with career-threatening and uncommon injuries such as the tennis elbow in the mid-2000s. "After the tennis elbow, it took me four-and-a-half months after the surgery," Tendulkar recalled. "The doctor had told me it would take that much time, but I tried to start earlier, and couldn't do it. The challenges were immense. At times it felt it was all over, and I won't be able to lift a bat again.

"After the tennis-elbow surgery, I couldn't even lift Arjun's plastic bat. When I went to practise for the first time after that surgery, the kids were fielding my powerful hits at 10-15 yards. I felt then that I won't be able to play anymore. That pressure is entirely different. It was a difficult phase. I want to thank the people who helped me during that time."

On Saturday paying a vote of thanks to the fans during his evocative speech, Tendulkar had said that their chants of "'Sachiiiiin, Sachin' would reverberate in my ears till I stop breathing". Today, as his management brought to an end the media briefing, everyone in the room screamed "Sachiiiiin, Sachin", suggesting it would reverberate in the people's hearts too.

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by Crick_Expert on (November 19, 2013, 14:58 GMT)

India has a lot more good cricketers than Sachin.

Posted by Crick_Expert on (November 19, 2013, 14:57 GMT)

There were no magic performance by Sachin; just he played 25 years? His ranking was never ever 1 in batting, current raking was 29?

Posted by   on (November 19, 2013, 14:07 GMT)

Dear Sachin:

Thank you for many great moments and memories, conversation topics and points to debate, exemplary batsmanship and human, the modern India and cricket which you have helped to craft: for me and millions of others the world over, you are the Mahatma of the Cricketing world. When i first got interested in your game, you were already well into it playing with Ajay Jadeja, N. Sidhu etc. Then, you were full of boyish energy, looking as if you could accomplish anything you wanted on the cricket field, you appeared like a fish in the sea, a bird in the sky: truly at home. I called you the Maestro then. I don't know how you will live without playing but i want to wish you the best.

Your moment of thanking the pitch is poignant, emotional, tearful: a gratitude to the part of the earth that inhabits you; this is a truly beautiful moment of interbeing. Thank you for all this, and more. And than you to your family for allowing us to share you.

With love, Walter

Posted by cenitin on (November 19, 2013, 11:15 GMT)

@Chis Kay : Lara avg only 37 in Aus when Mcgrath was in the Aus team. What kind of domination is this ? Sachin fared very well against Mcgrath in Aus. It was only one series but thats OK.

Posted by shinewindies on (November 19, 2013, 8:05 GMT)

@ Rising pak, well yes this is over rated, i doubt if there has been any pak batsmen who even has been close to him or will be close to him specially with the current lot.

No wait Ahmed Shezad and Sohaib Maqsood will break Sachin's all records one day. I hope the rising pak team reaches there 1 day.

Posted by   on (November 19, 2013, 2:15 GMT)

Only two words come to mind when I think of Tendulkar..."Amazing Grace".

Posted by   on (November 19, 2013, 1:22 GMT)

@chris kay- have u listened to the comments made by some of former players/reporters on indian channels. So often terms like 'greatest cricketer ever lived', or 'cricket god', or modern day bradman are made. When this is all one hears on newspapers and channels, this is the end result. cricket is India's no 1 sport, and sachin is their no 1 player. India is also cricket's biggest market. End result: ridiculous hyphe on sachin. Before it was sachin, now it is dhoni, and in future it will be kholi. Just like how it is the American politicians and british royal families that get ridiculous media attention, it is Indian cricketers that get all the fame. This is the cruel reality.

Posted by kickassPakistan on (November 18, 2013, 19:46 GMT)

And now is the right time to stop talking about this as well. Please guys, let it go,so much talk is a bit too much,he is not the first or the last of the greats to retire their were quite a few in fact so this is over rated

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 16:33 GMT)

Naman Gupta, I was reacting to a certain pattern of argumentation going on here. Ponting averages in India much less than T'kar does in Oz. But the same goes for Kallis vis-a-vis T'kar, which is ignored. His records at Sydney vs elsewhere in Oz are too peculiar to overlook especially in the wake of such mindless exercises. In just one series there was McGrath playing against him, which too is ignored. Okay, he played well in that series. But players like Lara or Richards dominated more there. I've nothing against him. But too many of his fans tend to overreach while trying to celebrate him.

Posted by CRICKETXYZ on (November 18, 2013, 15:18 GMT)

What is BAT & BALL, in the Magnificient game of Cricket?

B=Batsman A=Attacking T=Tossed up balls( It may be any type of delivery)

B=Bowler A=Attacking L=Line & L=Length

Sachin followed both of them, 200 International wickets & 34000++ International runs, Proud to be Maratha,,, Job well done Sachin in both departments...

Posted by BigINDFan on (November 18, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

I saw comments about how it is unfair that Sachin got a grand farewell and all these accolades and media attention. Well it happens with celebrities some get a lot of attention others do not. That does not mean it takes away from what they have achieved it just shows some appealed to the fans and media more than others beyond their control. Sachin is extra special becoz of the timing of his entrance to Indian cricket and the role he played for 24 years.

Also Indian fanbase goes the extra mile to hold their stars on top of their heads which is hard for other countries to believe but it is true.

Hope Sachin stays part of Indian cricket in some role as youngsters can benefit from his success and failures as a proven international cricketer spanning two plus decades.

Posted by SanjayMMS on (November 18, 2013, 14:30 GMT)

For one this retirement thing has gone overboard and even Sachin must be wondering what did he do to deserve this!! We Indians are clearly short of sporting heroes so anyone achieving something gets undue attention. Look no-one disagrees his greatness, but do not thrust more greatness than what the facts suggest.

Posted by valvolux on (November 18, 2013, 14:30 GMT)

Isn't that an end to an era? 90s cricket for me is finished, which for me being an aussie supporter is the era I will always remember most fondly. I watched his last test at a pub with no sound and every time I looked up he was still in his after game speech, went for hours! But doesn't the man deserve his time in the sun. The thing that struck me most was when they brought up the graphic of his averages in other countries. From memory it was 53 odd in Australia. This isn't a guy who feasted on the interim aussie attack, in fact I think he probably made less runs as the aussie attack got weaker. This guy belted around one of the greatest attacks of all time on their home soil, and at home. Some guys these days have inflated stats (though still not as good)based on hapless wickets and a distinct lack of good seamers in world cricket - this guy blasted 3 generations of attacks at will. Cool, calm, impenetrable in tests, with the ability to score as freely as anyone in ODIs. Legend.

Posted by Retour on (November 18, 2013, 14:25 GMT)

"A middle-aged photographer stood up impromptu, and congratulated Tendulkar on the award and wished he be knighted next so people could address him as Sir Sachin Tendulkar." ----> It appears as if the fascination w/ British titles is still huge in the subcontinent! Bharat Ratna is a very prestigious title in itself, Congrats Sachin and wishing you all the best for your future endeavors.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 13:15 GMT)

@chris kay - I for one am frustrated by the ridiculous level of attention sachin is getting over his retirement. Sure he was a great player, but likes of dravid, pointing etc never got articles written on them day by day after retirement. But Sachin never asked for that attention. One cannot control the media. So no need to criticise Sachin's cricketing achievements for the sake of expressing ur frustration. Regarding retirement, it is a subjective case. There are those like Imran who believe u should retire at the top, while others (as seen in cases of dravid, pointing, laxman) who believe u retire when u can no longer serve the side. So it would be unfair to criticise Sachin over timing of his retirement, when so many have retired well after their use date. Regarding SCG - well he has a century and a 70 in perth in his 3 tests, he has also done well in MCG. Infact Adelaide, flattest australian ground, and brisbane (1test) are where Sachin has done poorly.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 12:44 GMT)

Now understandably Kallis is in their hit-list. Kallis of course can't continue scoring occasional 50's and thereby somehow reaching meaningless milestones, as he's part of a more professional system. Nor would there be a collective blind support coming to his rescue. Knowing him, he won't wait either. So he may fall short unless he continues his good work. And as for his marginal shortage of average in Australia, he doesn't over-rely on any particular venue there in order to post an inflated one either.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 11:57 GMT)

Who am i to advise Sachin.... but I would be very happy if Sachin is not affiliated to any political party in future.... there are many platform for a great like him to contribute but not the one which is maligned with politics... sachin in our eyes you are much bigger than that... An Indian Jewel ( Bharat Ratna)

Posted by katwash on (November 18, 2013, 11:35 GMT)

@sachin vvsfan When you were comparing Sachin and Kallis you conveniently forgot to mention that the latter has also taken almost 300 Test Wickets as well as 44 Test Centuries. If he stays on for another couple of years he could pass the great man himself, not bad for a player who has had to maintain a higher level of fitness over his career. Cheers!!

Posted by VEGHA on (November 18, 2013, 11:30 GMT)

Sachin Loved Cricket and he treated Cricket as God and that is the reason people are saying he is God of Cricket. He has done so many things for Cricket and India and he must be proud and why not ? He is such an amazing cricketer and best human being,He was not successful as Captain since he was not aggressive with his team mates and he moved closer with them irrespective of the age.

Yes, he was so emotional and naturally he served the country for 24 long years and it is very difficult to have life without cricket. Cricket is every breath of his life

what an amazing and excellent cricketer,and we as Indians can be proud to have such a wonderful person like him , Now Bharth Ratna can be proud since it goes to the right person.Kudos to Sachin and we all love him and he will be in our hearts of so many million people

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 11:27 GMT)

@TommytuckerSaffa, Please check the record books and write your comments. He has scored more runs in overseas than in india wickets. Also note most of the overseas teams struggled in Indian wickets.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 11:24 GMT)

He was a good batsmen. He should have retired atleast when INDIA won the world cup. Always it was his own decision and nobody could force anything on him.

Posted by Lived2cuSachin on (November 18, 2013, 11:23 GMT)

What we will miss ?

Will we miss 4s,6s,quick 1s,great catches,runouts, super googlies ? Ans: NO ...someone would still be doing all these.

Will we miss Sachin doing all these because the world loves sachin. The impact he created during those days with his quality strokeplay will always be remembered.

The Virats ,Rohits and Rainas may still score at a better strikerate but will never be able to create the impact what Sachin created in world Cricket.

He was a player with no weakness, the no. 1 player in opposition plans. Kalis @37yrs can still break his test record and SA may give him an extended run just for this ,but will still be rated after Bradman ,Sachin Lara.

The bouncy pitches which was considered Hell he made it as heaven and made the team believe they can compete outside.

The GenX players are inspired by Sachin how can they compared with Sachin.Never!

Sachin is the Cricketer who turned the Cricket world Upside Down ! We have to see who can create an impact like he Did !

Posted by Fawwad_Siddiqui on (November 18, 2013, 11:00 GMT)

Kohli seems more promising in terms of batting records, atleast for ODIs, specially since he is still quite young and now there are more matches being played. What kohli have to learn from Sachin is, how to be humble, and pay respect to everyone which he seems to have shortage of. Sachin's attitude puts him on top of many batting greats because he has never been rude. All his answers came through his bat, and not through tongue or gestures, unlike Kohli. Otherwise, Kohli is the one to cross his One day tally and the tons. A CRICKET FAN from Pakistan.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 10:57 GMT)

Don't feel like watching cricket for the time being unless an aesthetic player like Sachin/Dravid/Laxman arrives. These are endangered species. Just unable to stomach cricket played with raw power. It is like watching baseball. You need to see the cover drives, square cut, glance, sweep, cuts and pulls, not whacking at everything thrown at you.

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (November 18, 2013, 10:51 GMT)

Sachin had plenty of talented batsmen around him to support him like Dravid and VVS. Sachin also played most his cricket in the subcontinent on flat tracks, making easy runs. We should keep this in mind when considering his records.

Jaque Kallis, the greatest cricketer in the modern era, had no one of comparable quality around him especially in the early part of his career when SA used to get badly beaten by Australia, etc. He also spent most of his batting career on more difficult tracks in SA than the subcontinent. Oh. I almost forgot. He also has almost 300 test wickets and a better batting average....

Posted by ROLAYH on (November 18, 2013, 10:46 GMT)

Great Player end of an era... retire a bit late, World Cup 2013 or completion of 100 centuries would be more appropriate... I am lucky to be born in the time when I witnessed his entire career...

Posted by sachisgreatest on (November 18, 2013, 10:30 GMT)

If you judge players by batting averages then Graeme Pollock is second best batsman (60.97) and a rather unknown George Headley (60.83) and Herbert Sutcliff (60.73) are No.3,4 batsman respectively way ahead of Ponting,Kallis,SRT.

if we play a game or give a presentation in front of 50 spectators imagine the amount of pressure, SRT took the pressure of 100 million people on each match,where he was expected to score 100 on every game.

Coming to late retirement for this guy what do you want a retirement in his peak? By that equation he should have retired on 1998 after sharjah. Grow up critics he has given everything to cricket, if you cannot respect that then I wonder who can you respect?

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

hhillbumper:"He is not even that good a batsman.Never wins tests just makes pretty runs when not needed". yeah just how botham never performed against strong opposition. Just kept his stats and reputation intact through runs and wickets against weak opposition, or second XI's (largely due to world series cricket). Even against Pakistan, post Imran he he was ordinary. Yet u call him an all time great. And u are accusing indians of overhyphing their players. lol. But man I feel sorry for flintoff and tony greig, who were far better than botham but never got the same fame and credit. Life can be so cruel.

Posted by BounceTrack_BULLY on (November 18, 2013, 10:10 GMT)

What a Player! He was the shining star of Indian Cricket for many years. He deserves the applause!!!

Posted by Ian_SA on (November 18, 2013, 9:33 GMT)

Great cricketer, retiring at the right time. Pity, then, that this final hurrah was just an amble down the gentle path into the retirement home - very unfitting for such a great player. The West Indies are hardly serious opposition. Ireland would have been sterner.

No, Sachin's final innings' should have been in the heat of real battle with a much sterner foe - South Africa. THAT would have been a blaze of glory and a fitting finale.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 9:31 GMT)

Right time was when India won the world cup., he got timing wrong and no one dares to say this. Just compare Brian Lara's last two years against Sachin's last two years and you will now why. Sachin should also get Dada Saheb Palke award now....

Posted by cozzielex on (November 18, 2013, 9:02 GMT)

@Vijayakumar Charva

You say you want to initiate discussion about Barataratna and it's award to other people such as musicians. Have you forgotten that this is NOT an Indian site for discussion of local Indian affairs. This is an international CRICKET site and it is not for you to hi-jack it for topics which are of no interest to most readers. Perhaps the Times of India or Deccan Herald might be more appropriate for your foolish notion.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (November 18, 2013, 8:57 GMT)

@LillianThomson So you are back with your 'average' theory again. I wish Rohit Sharma had played another 5 tests against WI . HE would have ended up higher than Bradman avg(Now you have put 1000 runs as the limit LOL) That said I shall wait till Kallis also retires. His avg too will come down like Sachins (from ~57 to 53). Sachin was averaging more than Kallis for the same num of matches. And BTW how much does Kallis avg against Eng/Aus (home or away)? Avg wont reveal the clear picture always. Cricinfo please publish.

Posted by cricket.kudos on (November 18, 2013, 8:52 GMT)

We forget that as mortals we should respect the immortals - the original title of the little master was with Hanif then moved to Gavaskar and briefly to Lara and eventually for now and very deservedly so to Tendulkar. It will move from him too to some other inspiration who may just be born or will be - we dont know that but that does not mean that all these little masters will become mortal - hats of to them

Posted by rajcl on (November 18, 2013, 8:50 GMT)

Mr BobinMT---- Test--- Centuries - 51, India won/draw = 40 [2nd most no of 100s = Kallis(Total = 44, SA Win/Draw = 41)and 3rd Ponting (Total =41 , AUS Win/Draw = 37)]

ODI --- Centuries = 49 , India won = 34 [2nd Ponting(Total 30 , AUS Won = 25), 3rd Jayasuriya (Total = 28, SL Won = 24) ] , OH MY GOD---in test kallis won /draw only 41 in 168 matches & ponting 37 in 168 matches-----i odi ponting won only 25 in his 375 mathes & jayasurya won 24 in his 445 mathes,,,why cant they score ton in every match & why cant they win every match,,,,,look at stats kallis & ponting never won match or take close to win-- single handly without other player contributionn ,look at sachins 25 100s loosing matches 80% of that one man show

Posted by rookie4u on (November 18, 2013, 8:41 GMT)

Well, there is absolutely no doubt that he was one of very good batsmen India have ever produced. Very close to Sunny, Vishwanath.. The question is did he play long enough to deprive so many young talented kohlis, rohits, who could have played for national side. How long did he play those scratchy innings that too lately on a flat surface and somehow try to make it look big. It clearly shows how in-spite of playing for so many years it was personal milestones that mattered most to him and to his frenzy fans and that spineless cricket board. Cricket is not an individual sports like boxing, golf, tennis, squash, F1, badminton.. its a team sport. Individual brilliance does make sense here as long as it benefits the whole team.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 8:35 GMT)

Sachin, the best a man can get!

Posted by Vivekaks on (November 18, 2013, 8:34 GMT)

It was an extremely poignant moment to see him cry...he has cried in the past...but then he knew he could come back and win more matches for India...but this was a promise of not coming back.

I can hardly imagine, the stats column on sachin will stop ticking...which i so often looked at to see wat his latest average is...and the write up wudnt change either...My heart wudnt skip a beat when india plays again...for the Its ok Sachin...u deserve a rest...Adieu!!

Posted by rajcl on (November 18, 2013, 8:24 GMT)

ODI --- Centuries = 49 , India won = 34 [2nd Ponting(Total 30 , AUS Won = 25), 3rd Jayasuriya (Total = 28, SL Won = 24) ] ,,,,OH MY GOD

Posted by mzm149 on (November 18, 2013, 8:07 GMT)

I don't know when this Tendulkar drama will end. They are mentioning what he did a day after. I hope it doesn't lead to what will he be doing a week after, a month after or a year after and so on.

Posted by LillianThomson on (November 18, 2013, 8:06 GMT)

@ Amitavac I don't think you should lament Kambli's absence too much.

We all know that batsmen are ultimately judged by their Test average. We all know that Don Bradman averaged 99.94, but very few cricket anoraks could say how many runs he scored or how many centuries.

But ultimately, history will record that Kambli ended with a Test average of 54.20 and Tendulkar finished with a Test average of 53.78.

I recall first reading about them in 1988 when they put on 664 runs as schoolboys. But their averages are so close that history will always bracket them together. And, of course, Kambli is 17th in the All-Time Top 20 (among batsmen with at least 1,000 Test runs) and can forever look down on Tendulkar in 20th place.

I'm sure that Kambli will tease Sachin about that for the rest of their days! And Sachin has only himself to blame for damaging his average by playing on long after he was past his best.

Posted by Pavel_ju on (November 18, 2013, 7:38 GMT)

If they ever tell my story let them say that I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Sachin Tendulkar, tamer of TIME. Let them say I lived in the time of SACHIN.

Posted by veerang on (November 18, 2013, 7:30 GMT)

most people rate sachin by his last four years career,they intentionally avoid his first 20 years. cricket is not only losing gentlemen players,but also gentlemen spectators.

Posted by Amitavac on (November 18, 2013, 7:21 GMT)

It's really baffling why Vinod Kambli was absent in the stadium and also in Sachin's farewell speech! Kambli was his childhood friend and they both came to limelight together after breaking world record in scoring highest runs for any wicket. Then how come Sachin forgets the person with whom he started the journey?! Is this a stamp of approval on the allegation made by Kambli that Sachin ruined his career in cricket?

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 7:20 GMT)

we will miss you sachin. maza sachin great. <3

Posted by stormy16 on (November 18, 2013, 7:01 GMT)

I was following the many different programs on Sachins career and noted he made his debut the same game at Waqar Younis, who I can only imagine must have been bowling like the wind and the rest of the bowling attack was Imran Khan, Wasim Akran and Abdul Quadir - can't think of a more potent attack against which for a 16 year old to make a test debut. I saw him in Aus as a teenager making 2 hundreds and not sure why everyone talks about the SCG knock, for me his hundred in Perth sealed the deal that a star was born. Perth was still the fastest wicket and this kid from India batted like he grew up at the WACCA - it was an amazing performance by a first timer to the WACCA. The time was probably up and even as a non-Indian waiting for his wicket to fall but still enjoying his batting against my team, I will miss the great man.

Posted by Fan1969 on (November 18, 2013, 6:52 GMT)

I have seen some poor quality comments on SRT, a great cricketer and a person. Whether he retired late or early hardly matters as the last 1-2 years cannot determine how cricket followers judge him for the full 24 years.

He has played the best bowlers of his era and dominated them. He always gave his best.

SRT was unlucky....his best from 1997-2003 coincided with largely average performances by the team and when the team performed well from 2003-2007 he had many injury issues and some lack of form.

For a brief period when SRT returned to form and started playing well in 2008-2011 - India TOPPED the charts for BEST TEST team and WON the ODI WC. (India lost the TEST crown to England in 2011, Aus was top ODI team in 2011 when India won WC).

SRT had a great role in inspiring youngsters.

Let us not judge a man who achieved all that it takes and when he left had young achievers like Ashwin, Kohli, Pujara, Dhawan, Ojha and Rohit in the team led by MS Dhoni, a captain suggested by SRT

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 6:41 GMT)

Now all the other "human" players know what to score to be the leading scorer. Someone might surpass his score and in few decades people might forget the importance of his feat. But for the very lucky people like us, who cherished his every run, who were enchanted by his every century, no other cricketer can come close to his stature even if they score twice as much runs as him. Cricket will never be the same for us. Wishing the master the best in whatever he pursues next.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 5:53 GMT)

to judge how great sachin was, its futile to judge him by number of matches India won when he scored a century,for cricket is a team game.

the best way to look at him is to compare his average*strike rate for each position to his contemporaries with 50/100 tests or more. This is the key metric as it balances aggressive and risk taking behavior, all great players will exceed on this metric. We need to adjust this further by the quality of the bowling they faced, home vs away to tweak out true skill.

Although I haven't done the analysis, Tendulkar should be at or close to the top.

Now, please keep in mind the pressure of expectation he carried and the way he conducted himself. Just remarkable grace and humility. His impact on Indian batting is clearly visible when one looks at the current batting talent on display in the Indian team, all of them were mentored or influenced by Tendulkar

greatest by stats, the way he conducted himself and impact in world cricket. No one comes close

Posted by Aristotle01 on (November 18, 2013, 5:44 GMT)

@Lillian Thomp: The English media were all over Sachin praising him for his career.... ALL OVER! I live here and can tell you that .... so was the Aussie media....I read the newspapers! Please publish.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (November 18, 2013, 5:38 GMT)

@Lillianthompason: The English media were all over Sachin praising him for his career.... ALL OVER! I live here and can tell you that .... so was the Aussie media....I read the newspapers! Please publish.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 5:35 GMT)

@ BobinMT. SRT is an outstanding athlete without any doubt. You do not have to make a comparison or letting down other players to show SRT on top of pyramid. Instead I think, SRT is best shining start in the Cricket Galaxy, it does not mean all other stars have less value than SRT. For example you have mentioned valid stats for Centuries and number of matches. Supporters of other players may argue, watch out number of tests played and than see the number of MoM awards or centuries or go through list of centuries in sub continent slow pitches or Centuries against weaker opposition. All the name you mentioned are best of game and cricket is black and without them.

Posted by ashankar on (November 18, 2013, 5:29 GMT)

@BobinMT. Nice! add to that the kind of team the other two guys had. The bowlers who could torment the opposition and the rest of the batting unit which could play a very good supporting role. If Sachin has started from 2007 from when we got the finishers, there would have been more and more wins on his 100's. As well, a few lost 100's Chennai Test Vs Pak, 175 Vs Aus. Two WC 2011 100's - 1 tied and 1 lost to SA (where the rest failed to post an imposing total). of course, we lost the Sharjah match but he took us to the Final didnt he? He helped us to post the highest total of that time in 1996 vs SL but we failed to defend!! There are many more and i welcome a debate organized by Cricinfo :-)

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 5:21 GMT)

The climax of an exceptional career was marred by a farce of a contest. However, perhaps fittingly, the virtual closure was brought about through a piece of outstanding fielding. (Amusingly, the 'stunning' straight drive that brought his 50 was against Best the bowler and not exactly the best bowler.) Some people try to refute the farcical nature of the contest by citing the example of some uneven Ashes contests in the 90's; the losers there were a decent side and the matches were well attended for better cricketing reasons. Results may have resembled; but that happened as one of the sides were so exceptional. BTW his fans could afford to celebrate him without belittling greater players. Don must have played against the best bowlers available in his time. And if they were 'club bowlers' at all, they must tell what should have prevented others to come anywhere near him.

Posted by DVRavi on (November 18, 2013, 5:16 GMT)

He played 23 tests since hitting his last test century. In this period others made 24 centuries for India. This was an uncharacteristic blank period for him although he made 9 half centuries in this period. We are all very attached to him and consider cricket would be difficult to follow without him but the point is that cricket wise it was time for him to go. The mantle has passed on and Team India needs to get used to his absence and carry on.

Posted by LillianThomson on (November 18, 2013, 5:08 GMT)

Tendulkar has been a marvellous batsman: to be one of the world's best five batsmen for 20 years (1990-2010) is an extraordinary achievement.

But it is extraordinary that he thinks that he timed his retirement well, as he obviously did not. From February 2011 until November 2013 he played on for almost three years after he was no longer good enough to. There is no shame in a great batsman losing his powers when he is almost 40, but there is shame in him not leaving at least 2 years earlier when it was clear that he was a has-been.

That dreadful "hundredth hundred" against a weak team in an ODI was bad enough, but he then played dozens more international innings, without getting a 101st century.

It is sad to see a once awesome cricketer playing on as a has-been. I remember Thommo in 85 and Gooch and Gatting in Australia a decade later, and Miandad in the 96 World Cup.

Tendulkar's retirement barely got a mention in England or Australia, because he was no longer a great.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 5:04 GMT)

India did not have a world class bowling attack for majority of Sachin's career and we relied heavily on Sachin's batting for atleast more than half of his career.That's why it happened on few occasion where he played some of the best innings but India could not win either because other batsmen did not contribute or bowlers were not effective. Just to some of his innings whether it is 175 vs Aus or hundred to take India in final of sharjah or his hundred in chennai against pak in test match...All of these were some of the best knock one would see but the way others in the team did not contribute lead to India losing the game... I think same was the case even with Brian Lara who right up their with best but did not get enough support from his team... Still i would say he has won more games for India than any other cricketer...And lets not forget he has around 18 scores of between 90 to 100 and India won most of them...

Posted by sachisgreatest on (November 18, 2013, 4:34 GMT)

Think about it if Rohit Sharma is allowed to play just against WI for next 15 years either in India and WI,I guess he will average near Don (or more). I also doubt if Mr.Don could have played on Rank Turners, also a very important point to note is on that days ball pitching either out of offstump or leg stump on both cases was Not Out. So a batsman dosent have to play his shots all the time he can easily pad the ball rather edging it. We can imagine Tendlaya's greatness by his 2 drops of tears made the whole nation cry (even his critics). he loved cricket, he was humble,he loves his country thats why he is gratest. talking about he cannot win games? the people who say so have no knowledge of cric or they have not followed him. sharjah vs aus, Chennai vs eng (103*), 148 off 128 (icc knockout 98 vs aus), 155 vs aus, 98 vs pak in wc2003 (I'll run out of characters here if I go on......) Hats off master........... Misss you,Love you.

Posted by ShanNachimuthu on (November 18, 2013, 4:22 GMT)

I was 19 when I first watched Sachin playing. He was around 16 then. I don't remember his first match but I still remember the one day match he played against PAK in PAK. In that match he struck 3 consecutive sixes ( those days such events are very rare ) of Abdul Qadir the Pakistani great leggie, who was famously known for his googlies. The first two deliveries were normal fighted leg spinners and Sachin came down the track and sent them over the straight boundary. The third one was the googly, Sachin anticipated and sent that also over the straight boundary. The pakistani great watched the ball sailing over his head and turned towards Sachin and applauded. After that I never sighted a bowler applauding a batsman after getting hammered by the batsman during these 25 years of watching cricket (!!!). Afther the match Abdul Quadir said 'Watch him. He will be something special'. Thank you Sachin for the entertainment you provided to us all through these 24 years.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 4:15 GMT)

GREAT MAN ..He has to serve for india as team coach

Posted by BobinMT on (November 18, 2013, 4:14 GMT)

Adding one more, if number of centuries scored last 3 yrs is the criteria to stay in a team i want to know out of how many in world cricket would be there in last 2 decades. May these comments will come only from those who watch only IPL or T20 where people think cricket means hitting 6s, 4s and 100s. Remember the real form of cricket is Test where choosing the good ball and leaving a bad ball itself is a TALENT of Batsman.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 4:13 GMT)

Indian Cricket team will have the Great Batting Coach ....

Posted by MEHATELK on (November 18, 2013, 4:11 GMT)

@ hhillbumper now im 35. ill read stories about sachin as long as my vision is intact, ill hear news about sachin till my hearing sense is ok.but i hate the news like cricketers urinating their pitch. i dont know where are you from, may be you are an english fan, go and see last speach of master.only indian cultured sportsman can give such a speach. non of from yr country any sport personality or any other personality can deliver such a heart touching speach

Posted by BobinMT on (November 18, 2013, 3:55 GMT)

Ofcourse even a school boy will know Cricket is a Team effort, Still To those who are commenting like retarded : Test ---- Centuries - 51, India won/draw = 40 [2nd most no of 100s = Kallis(Total = 44, SA Win/Draw = 41)and 3rd Ponting (Total =41 , AUS Win/Draw = 37)]

TEST + ODI (Total matches won/draw) ---------- Sachin Total Centuries= 100 India won/draw = 74 Ponting Total Centuries = 71, AUS won/draw = 62 Kallis Total centuries= 61 SA won/draw = 54 Jayasuriya - Total Centuries = 42, SL won/draw = 35

Player of the Matches(ODI + Test) ----------------- SR Tendulkar 62+14 = 76 JH Kallis 32+23 = 55 RT Ponting 32+16 = 48 ST Jayasuriya 48+0 = 48

Need more info to conclude who can be considered as for most number of matches won for their team or match winner ?

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 3:53 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar: India's Proudest Possession.... Thank You Very Much...Very touching farewell.... Sad not to see him play again... Just watch the Recorded Desert storm match on YouTube....It seems as if last link to childhood days has broken.......... MISS U SACHIN!!!! SACHINNNNNNN Sachin

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 3:49 GMT)

People who don't like the number of articles about Sachin - don't read them. But let people others mourn/celebrate the great man's retirement if they want to. Farewell and congratulations to the Little Master.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 3:33 GMT)

It's not end of life... No need to compare it with the stop of breathing. Life goes on.

Posted by ReverseSweepIndia on (November 18, 2013, 3:08 GMT)

@hhillbumper so according to you he never won a match? Ah, not your fault, you keep on watching lawn tennis and thinking that always individual wins a match. I thought English would atleast understand what having an icon means. Because when Tendulkar was at prime and growing with a poor team around him there was only one team more poor than India at that moment. You know that team pretty well, right?

Posted by sray23 on (November 18, 2013, 2:48 GMT)

I think post-retirement, Sachin should take up actively mentoring cricketers/other sportsmen from less fortunate backgrounds. One aspect not mentioned much is that apart from natural talent, Sachin had the perfect ie grounded family background, non-interfering & professional agents, good crowd of friends. But many other sportsmen are not so lucky. Esp if they are from rural/less affluent backgrounds, they become vulnerable to exploitation by friends and other hang oners desperate to have a piece of their money. Most often their immediate families are not as educated or sophisticated like Sachin's to deal with these problems effectively. With Sachin's life experience and stature, his regular advice to these sportspeople in these complex areas (how to build a support network, how to stay grounded, what kind of people to avoid, financial management) can be worth its weight in gold.

Posted by _Cover_Drive on (November 18, 2013, 2:16 GMT)

@gotmymojo - with the exceptions of Lara and Kallis, other batsmen did not face as tough bowlers. He scored more centuries against Aussies who held the best overall record in last two decades. Do you understand punch drives?

Posted by Capt.Harry on (November 18, 2013, 1:52 GMT)

Thanks for the wonderful memories maestro..Wayne Gretzky ice hockey..Michael Jordan basketball...Roger Federer lawn tennis...Lionel Messi football...Sachin Tendulkar...cricke. Men and heroes of exemplary talent and discipline.I doubt there will ever be personalities of these caliber of sportsmen again in a long time to come. Their performances are enough to inspire the next generation to give their best in their respective sporting discipline.As a matter of fact it has given me and millions hope that when you give your best success is sure to follow as long as you play the game in the true spirit....God bless you maestro and thanks again for the everlasting memories.. live long and prosper amigo...a die hard fan from the West Indies.....

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 1:15 GMT)

He completely changed Indian cricket and made it a force to reckon with, well before Ganguly, Laxman, Kumble, Dravid, Zaheer, Sehwag and the others came along. His was always the prize wicket they wanted, for nearly all of his 24 playing years. Cricketers from Graeme Pollock to Shane Warne to Brian Lara to Kevin Pietersen and now Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma know that he towers over even the best of them - that is why they lined up to pay their respects to him at this moment. We cannot do enough to thank him. Excellent innings, well played.

Posted by Westmorlandia on (November 18, 2013, 0:36 GMT)

@hhillbumper - either you're a youngster who never really saw him bat (and he was top class until 2011, so that would make you pretty young), or you're just winding us up. I'm not Indian and I'm happy to read Tendulkar stories today, and I'll read a few tomorrow too if they're here. A gloriously good player.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2013, 0:09 GMT)

The Little Master..The Next Don..The Art of Batting...The Great Sportsman....The Great Human Being...The God...Very Very Very Thank you for the 24 years of entertainment which made the nation and us so proud. Our childhood became more joyful and filled with full of cherished moments ONLY because of you. We miss you and still not able believe that the little master's bat is going to be rested. I am writing this comment with tears......SACHIN...SACHIN....

Posted by mrhamilton on (November 17, 2013, 23:50 GMT)

Tensioner can watch in the stadium in the v.I.p section for the rest of his life and still be cheered.he can carry on playing cricket with a regular team informally.I think he needs to realise this and than the silliness of its all over will escape him to realise it's still great

Posted by sysubrceq0 on (November 17, 2013, 23:28 GMT)

@Hillbumper - Test matches cannot win by one man needs team effort session by session to win test match. A batsman can try to draw a test on his own but without any support from bowlers, nobody can win Test match. Best eg: Lara vs SL - 3 Test where he made 2 double 100s and 1 100 in all 3 tests but still the final result is 3 - 0 in favor of SL. Hope you understand the point, if bowlers cannot take 20 Wickets, batsmen cannot win tests.

Posted by gotmymojo on (November 17, 2013, 23:10 GMT)

I don't want to offend his fans - yes, he was a v. good batsman but not the greatest. He does not come close to Bradman even by a mile or Gary Sobers, Viv Richards, Barry Richards and Brian Lara - great batsmen, who scored runs at a fast rate, were match winners and did not play for averages.

Hey, if you are that great and want to finish off your career with a hundred to chow your class, then score it against the best i.e. South Africa or England, not a mediocre team like Windies! This whole Windies series was a setup by BCCI to allow him to get a century. too bad, it did not work out that way!

The Indians are obsessed with statistics and turn people into demi gods. 200 test matches, so what? To get to the 100 centuries mark, they diluted it to include ODIs. Enough of this hoopla, get on with life.

Posted by kickapakibutt on (November 17, 2013, 21:58 GMT)

There is no doubt that Sachin Tendulkar is a great batsman. That is not the issue and his record proves it. I have been watching cricket for 30+ years. However, the last time I watched a live televised cricket was the fateful day in 1986, when Miandad hit Sharma for last ball 6. That was the first time I shed a tear. After almost 27 years I watched Sachin's last test live in wankhede stadium ( yes, I got lucky). It was a gut wrenching experience is see this man retire. Apart from being a great batsman, he is good person. Always dignified, modest, non-controversial and unassuming. He is a family man and a role model for kids. I bow my head and bid adieu to this Gentleman. Thank you Mr. Sachin Tendulkar. May god bless you and your family.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 17, 2013, 21:37 GMT)

@hhillbumper: He's the GREATEST to ever play the game after Don Bradman. He's not just an 'Indian' star, he's a WORLD star. Personalities from other spheres of life admire and acknowledge his greatness. Even in your own England, Tendulkar is regarded as a living legend and is often spoke of in parallels with W.G. Grace and other legends who laid the foundation stones of the modern game. A TRUE cricket lover will NEVER get tired of hearing and watching Sachin. If you are, then I can only pity your lack of quality taste. Tendulkar genius surpasses mere cricket stats; he's much more to us Indians and other supporters who consider him an immortal. He played the game the way it was meant to be played - with dignity, grace, and genuineness. In spite of his stats being enough to make him great, his humility, level-headedness, pious nature, and sheer amount of sacrifices makes him greater than any cricketer that ever played this sport.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 21:28 GMT)

If Sachin's life was a movie, nobody would believe it! It is just too good to be true!

Posted by WeirPicki on (November 17, 2013, 21:22 GMT)

Nice career but Geg Chappell finished with the superior batting average - something not to be dismissed lightly when refering to the best batsmen since the Don.

Posted by Harmony111 on (November 17, 2013, 21:03 GMT)

@TommytuckerSaffa:

---"After 3 years of not making a Test century"---

This proves that Sachin did not play for stats but for the love and commitment he had for the game. The day he felt one of them was in slightly short supply, he decided to leave. On the other hand, you guys say stats don't matter for your players yet you measure others in terms of 100s scored.

Also tell me if one player going 3 years not making a test century is worse or an entire team of 11 players (different set of 11 players mind you) going 21 years not winning a single ICC World Title or even a single knock out match in the World Cups? Shouldn't guys like Kallis have retired long time back cos it is clear they are unable to perform at the highest level?

@hhillbumper: Big lol to you cos you are saying it as if England have won 5 World Cup Titles. Even in tests - the one format they truly care about, Eng couldn't keep their #1 rank for much time. You can't be #1 in the only format you care about??? Sad nah?

Posted by Rajdev on (November 17, 2013, 21:00 GMT)

Congratualtions to SRT on winning the Bharat Ratna. Richly deserved. Knighthood (as mentioned in the article)? Nope. Knighthood was given to Indians before August 15, 1947.

Posted by samjoe on (November 17, 2013, 20:31 GMT)

He never scored runs or took wickets in matches India won. Always plays for self records. When the openers and no.3 score runs set a platform, he comes and scores tons of runs. Never done that when team is in dire straits. Classic example is 2003 world cup. If you play for these long, you are bound to achieve these figures. There were much better players than him. Sourav, Rahul,Kumble and Laxman were all much much better than him. They bailed team out of woods many times.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 20:07 GMT)

People have been commenting on Sachin's performance though he has been relatively doing well when compared to others. Finally Sachin retired in his own style. He conquered many a hearts with his farewell speech and Indian government on its part acted at right time and bested upon him with Bharatratna. Many good things happen. Now I wish to initiate discussion who else deserves Barataratna( exclude politicians). And I think the person who should be front runner at this time is A R Rehaman, a game changer in music arena.

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (November 17, 2013, 19:59 GMT)

After 3 years of not making a Test century. Its definitely the right time to stop. Enough is enough, plenty of talented Indian youngsters coming through.

Posted by hhillbumper on (November 17, 2013, 19:43 GMT)

in tommorrows cricinfo we will have the day after the day after. This is getting a little silly now. He is big in India but that is pretty much all he has done for a few years. He is not even that good a batsman.Never wins tests just makes pretty runs when not needed.

Posted by CRam on (November 17, 2013, 19:10 GMT)

Well - if you notice - Sachin was born 24th April 1973 - adds up to 24/24. He completed 24years of international cricket - something to do with his decision?? Random thought this.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 19:03 GMT)

iam going through sleepless nights... i dont know what to say. every time i think about it, my eyes become wet. what kind of relation it is? take a bow master

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 18:58 GMT)

gone at last the king of the late 90s !!!!!!!!

Posted by Sigismund on (November 17, 2013, 18:56 GMT)

I really can't believe the people who are saying they will give up on cricket with SRT's retirement. Isn't that actually an insult to the great man, who himself says that he owes his whole life to the game? You owe it to him to continue to love and support the game.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 18:28 GMT)

I'm still not able to believe that you won't be playing cricket anymore Sir. For me cricket is Sachin Tendulkar. I don't know how much time it will take for me to come in terms with the reality. #MissuSir

Posted by shishir7 on (November 17, 2013, 18:19 GMT)

i think today all the Indians are proud of Sachin. Although he has retired, i am 100% sure that people will remember him for a long time bcos of his records, his style of batting, his temperament. No one can replace him. Some people he think he is an entertainer, some people think he is a saviour (God), some people think he is a match winner, some people think he is a little genius, some think he is gift of God, some think he is here to break to all cricketing records......etc

And Sachin has proved everyone correct..........Today the great masters of the game will also believe that Sachin is the one of the greatest to play the game of cricket and born once in a life time.

Sachin you are a great ambassador to the game of cricket.

Salute to you. Chakde India.

Posted by adson80 on (November 17, 2013, 18:18 GMT)

Wow it's finally over; the long 24 year journey is finally over. Thank You Sachin Tendulkar for all those wonderful memories. Cricket will never be the same without You. Thank You !!

Posted by IndieFan on (November 17, 2013, 18:13 GMT)

Miss you Sachin...!!! You are the one who made me watch cricket. You are the reason I started watching cricket without even knowing the rules. All that mattered to me was watching you. The rules be damned. It feels like some one from my family has just left me. It feels like a big void. I don't know if I will be able to watch cricket without you anymore. I was critic of you recently asking why you are still playing. I couldn't see the lesser mortals taking your wicket at will. But it is still very hard to digest that you will not be playing anymore.

You made me believe in myself. You were a role model to me. Although I hardly play cricket, I try to emulate you in what I do as work. I salute your humbleness. Miss you Sachin

Sachiiiiiin!!! Sachin!! Sachiiiiiin!!! Sachin!! Sachiiiiiin!!! Sachin!! Sachiiiiiin!!! Sachin!!

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 18:01 GMT)

Sachin Sachin... Me too being Great Fan Of Sachin can't digest that Sachin will not be playing cricket any more... But can say one thing being fan of Mr. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar that each and every person who plays or not playing cricket will remember " SACHIN" for a Decade. . Really, Will Miss Him and His Game... Sachin Sachin. ... luv u... Please Keep On Playing IPL For Your Fans please please... Madly want to see u batting more...

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:38 GMT)

It is difficult to believe that for a person the game was his life will no longer be around. That the harsh truth.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:34 GMT)

Really it's hard to believe that he is retired...It feels like I have missed something from life..and could not sleep whole night thinking it happened with me...really I don't know what kind of bonding it is...He is truly a great ..left millions crying and thinking should watch cricket without SRT or no...

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:32 GMT)

That was a good speach which brought tears to every one.. He carried Indian cricket in his shoulder and now hes being carried by cricket.. Good luck Sachin..

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:32 GMT)

Miss u Sachin! But happy to see your smiling face after a day of retirement.. It'll be nice to see u attached with indian cricket in different forms in future! World of cricket still need your services. And we hope legend wil extend his services for the younger generations too.. Bit relaxed after seeing you in the above photograph, because we can understand the feel of leaving, your dream of life!!!

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:14 GMT)

we love u SIR and always will love u ............. u may not b playing ckt anymore but the path u showed 2 millions will always b followed...... whatever it may one thing i learnt from u that is no what u r always try 2 b a honest, loyal and a good humanbeing........ I salute u sir and for all the 24 yrs and 101 centuries which made our day full of smile U always b the man who is closer 2 my heart and my idol person too.......

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:07 GMT)

I hope media will restrict itself peeping into Sachin's life. At least for sometime. He needs time to relax and adjust to normal life

Posted by MEHATELK on (November 17, 2013, 17:03 GMT)

Until yesterday i thought i love the game cricket , and watching cricket is my hobby, now i realised i only loved sachin not this cricket,me also retired from watching cricket

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 16:52 GMT)

still not able to digest that sachin will not be playing anymore missing him very much

Posted by MonkeyMonkey on (November 17, 2013, 16:34 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar has been the greatest batsmen of all time. I think he is the most dedicated cricket and he cares a lot for his family. I think his family gave him great support and that allowed him to play for 24 years. The best thing for me after the speech, was when he paid his respects to the Wankhede pitch that gave him his identity. He is a very humble person, and he thanked everyone in his speech from his father to his physios.

Sachincredible human being