India news

Raina eyes comeback after Ganguly support

ESPNcricinfo staff

March 8, 2014

Suresh Raina was peppered with short deliveries, India v Australia, 3rd ODI, Mohali, October 19, 2013
Suresh Raina has spoken to Sourav Ganguly about handling the short ball © BCCI
News : Raina out of Asia Cup squad
Players/Officials: Suresh Raina | Sourav Ganguly
Teams: India

Suresh Raina has said he piled too much pressure on himself of late even as critics were "obsessed" about his numbers. Raina was dropped from the India XI during the ODIs in New Zealand with just one fifty-plus score in his previous 24 innings and was not picked for the Asia Cup in Bangladesh. He is part of the side for the World T20, though, and wants to do well after taking tips from former India captain Sourav Ganguly on matters as varied as making a comeback and handling the short ball.

"When you are down and out, that's when you realise who is ready to help you, who is your friend and who can be a good guide," Raina told ABP News. "Sourav Ganguly was one such man. I spoke to him and he instantly was eager to help me. We spoke a lot, and he told me that I needed to work hard on my footwork, and on my mind. He is a good coach of batting and motivated me a lot when I was mentally down. Our batting style also is very similar and we spoke about the short ball, footwork and making a comeback. I got a lot of positive vibes from dada (Ganguly). He told me a lot on trusting my own ability, and spoke about minor things that I had overlooked for some time."

While Raina admitted that making bigger scores would have helped his cause, he said people did not appreciate the worth of smaller, but important, innings he had been getting down the order. "Every channel I watched and every newspaper I read, I realised everyone was only talking about my form, and how bad it was. They kept arguing that I have had no half-centuries in the last 25-odd games and how my averages are in a particular format, and so forth. There is an obsession with numbers and statistics, but that is so harsh on a cricketer. He cannot be judged purely by statistics, performance is subjective.

"I have played several crucial 35-run knocks coming down the order, it's not easy to play with tail-enders. People never realised that India has often ended with chasing in a lot of these ODIs, and batting lower down in chasing a target is a high-pressure job. Only MS Dhoni and Mike Hussey have a good average in world cricket batting so lower down."

With his performance under so much scrutiny, Raina said he had started to walk in to bat in each game thinking it could be his final match. "Lately, I used to get onto the field thinking I have to do well, this is my last chance to bat, this is my last chance to get a big score, this is the last catch I will be taking. So I needlessly put undue pressure on me and it made me nervous, and that's where I made a mistake. I started thinking that every match is my last match, because suddenly it seemed everyone was only talking about me."

Raina did not think he had been unfairly targeted, though, and felt he could have done better. The time away from the team had given him space to work on his game, which did not require any major changes, Raina added. "I am not making excuses. I made mistakes, I could have got more fifties, more runs. I lost my concentration at crucial times that led to my downfall before. But what I am saying is I love to play for my team, not for an individual score. In this break, I have realised one thing very clearly, there is no need to change my game. I only need to get better at playing my style. I am a 30-ball 50 batsman and I would never try and become a 60-ball 50 batsman.

"I have learnt to take my time at the crease, try and bat more consciously and the need to score lot of runs. I have seen my old videos and that has given me a lot of confidence, it has made me realise of the mistakes that I have made. It has been 7-8 years that I have been playing virtually non-stop cricket. I got no rest and this time it was a forced break. In many ways, it helped, though as a player you never liked to be dropped. It allowed me to spend time with my family, be a good son and allowed me to recharge again to play cricket. I played the Vijay Hazare Trophy and got some good practice before the World T20."

Raina said he was hungry for runs and confident going into the World T20, adding that he had recognized during the Asia Cup that the team "needed" him. "I saw the Asia Cup sitting at home from a third man's perspective and realised that the team needs me. I have a role to play with this team. I just need to get back among runs, do well at this World T20 and maybe force my way back into the ODI side with the 2015 World Cup in mind."

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 6:29 GMT)

Dravid never suffered palying the short balls and hence he will never understand the problems associated with it. Ganguly suffered and rectified it well to come back stronger. He is certainly the man to go for. Good decision Raina.

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 5:36 GMT)

@Temuzin...Agreed that Ganguly was not a good player of short balls but he wasn't that bad either. Remember his comeback period between 2006-08 during which he was very good at playing the short ball. He changed his stance and playing style as well with a higher back lift. If he really had any problem with the shorter deliveries then he wouldn't have lasted for so long and scored centuries at ease in England, South Africa, Australia (for the record he was the first Indian to score a 100 in an ODI in Australia and against Australia), West Indies.

Posted by Temuzin on (March 11, 2014, 19:49 GMT)

Forget Raina, at this juncture it will be hard for him to really play Short ball. Give number 5 poision to jadeja. He has shown tremendous batting form in NZ. He will be able to perform better than any at number 5 except Dhoni and Kohli, if they want to bat at that position.

Posted by Temuzin on (March 11, 2014, 19:37 GMT)

Thats suicidal on Raina's part. Gangully was never a good player against short balls. He should have gone to some one who was good at that. May be dravid should be a good choice. at least he will teach raina how to leave short balls if you are not in position to hook or pull.

Posted by Thejesh_VVS on (March 11, 2014, 15:21 GMT)

Raina is a great player morever, a great finisher.He has the ability to loft any type of ball expect his weakness the short ball. Raina was bubbling with form before the ipl. Let Raina regain his form. CONGRATS !!!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:56 GMT)

Raina is a dangerous batsman , and other teams' bowlers would have been happier not to bowl at Raina in the ODIs and T20s.

Posted by thinkgood on (March 10, 2014, 20:46 GMT)

Dada is not the right person to teach Suresh Raina. Raina needs to open his eyes to outside India - English county cricket to learn to play pace attack in pacy pitches. No way Dada can teach Raina. May be Dada can teach the value of bravado and chest thumping. Not much with the bat.

Posted by SaifKhan90 on (March 10, 2014, 18:00 GMT)

Dada had similar problems with the bouncers etc, so not really sure what advise he could have given to Raina!! India should move ahead and find someone else. Raina is always going to struggle as he is technically not proper. So, once he returns and fails to score runs once again. Same people, who are asking for his return, will criticize him relentlessly.

Posted by ImpressiveTeer on (March 10, 2014, 16:06 GMT)

Every team needs a player like Raina. He is like your best friend in the side. He enjoys every wicket taken by others, every good innings played with clear heart. In the current side, everyone is playing for their own spot. Someone below hopes openers to fail so they can grab a chance. Its not a true 'Team Spirit'. Raina was the one 'gelling' factor in the side. Likes of Jadeja, are truely opposite of him, though he performs better and keeps his place in the side, but the team spirit is dampened due to guys like him. Rohit is equally bad... To play so slow against even minnows clearly shows what he is out there for.

Like he said, and is true that Raina did play many meaningful 35-runs innings - most importantly against Asutralia in WC, also against Pak and SL. He played like Michael Bevan for us. Played for the team's success and not for his personal score. At no.6 you don't get many chances for long innings.

That said, he cd have deinitely done better in some demanding situations.

Posted by   on (March 10, 2014, 14:31 GMT)

Problem is his mindset. Once a Short ball is bowled he expects every other ball to be a short one. This pushes him back into the crease more often getting him LBW's or Bowled or Caught behind for full length deliveries. Raina Debuted 3 years before Virat. Virat was not good at it either. Virat worked on it day in and out and got the better off it. Whereas Raina has gone from better to worse. This has been his problem for a few years now. If he needs to get back to the Indian team he must rectify that flaw of his no matter how good he is scoring. He needs to be honest to himself and ask a Question Am I a good player chasing targets when wickets are down under pacy/Bouncy conditions ? If the answer is Yes he is on the path to correcting is his mistakes. If it is a NO well he is not learnt anything from past and he just wants stick around as that mediocre player that can score runs only in favourable conditions.

Posted by Pathiyal on (March 10, 2014, 13:44 GMT)

i think Rahul Dravid would be a much better guide for him when it comes to tackling short balls. raina already has the trait of dada, which is in aggression!!! his recent failure in sub continent has more to do with frustrations (of failure to do well abroad), which is just momentary. but i bet he will be back!

Posted by tarun_arun on (March 10, 2014, 11:38 GMT)

one has to look at rahane and his strike rate to know how much he was missed in that asia cup....and not to forget his bowling on those pitches....just that he struggled against mitchell johnson in that odi series....ans thats no shame

Posted by UsmanMuhammad on (March 10, 2014, 8:59 GMT)

Ganguly himself was not a good exponent of hook and pull, how come he is going to advise Raina the art of playing short ball?? He got out on numerous occasions ducking under short ball. Raina should have gone to Azhar or Sachin.

Posted by   on (March 10, 2014, 8:21 GMT)

Raina is a good bet in sub continental conditions but since the World Cup is in Australia, it is better if Rahane & Rayudu get as much games as possible.

Posted by santhoshg016 on (March 10, 2014, 8:13 GMT)

Raina is a great player when he is in form. he should practise how to leave the short balls especially when he come to bat.. he is a team player. he bats, he bowls, he is an excellent fielder.. he should be in the team for 2015 world cup. his role is very importance at 6.. i am sure he will comeback well in T20 world cup.. and next he plays ipl where he can get lot of practise from the IPL.. he should be in the squad for England and Australia series for this year.. he has done well to get some idea from Ganguly.. Ganguly will be the best advisor for short ball.. specially he teaches you how to leave the ball.. for T20 Squad 1.Rohit 2. Dhawan 3. Kohli 4. Raina 5. yuvi. 6. Dhoni. 7.Jadeja. 8. Ashwin/ Mishra 9. Binny 10. Bhuvi/ Mohit 11. Pandey/ Shami.. 2 fast bowler, and one medium pacer Binny. and i would like to play anyone Ashwin/ mishra.. instead we have raina, yuvi, jadeja, so one specialist spinner will be good.. Best of luck to raina and INDIA..

Posted by jango_moh on (March 10, 2014, 7:06 GMT)

we really did miss raina in the asia cup, esp since dhoni was also not in the team.... i think he's an asset to our odi/t20 teams for sure.... for tests, we have better suited players.... he just needs to clear his mind and bat, he will do good.... he does need a strategy for the short ball since the wc is going to be in aus/nz.... gluck raina!!!!

Posted by   on (March 10, 2014, 6:59 GMT)

its good if he makes a comeback..he has much better temperament than rohit and much better talent than rayudu and rahane in shorter formats..ind needs him badly..but he should not crash in to johnson though..

Posted by vipinchirackal on (March 10, 2014, 6:49 GMT)

no doubt he has the talent .but the problem is his dedication for the country.he is a senior player so need to take more responsibility.any way even at his lowest form he is tem times better thyan plaers like rayidu or karthik.i think sanju samson has the same level of talent he has. so he will be the best replacement for raina than rayidu or karthik

Posted by   on (March 10, 2014, 4:48 GMT)

Dont worry Raina, we all trust you. You have the talent, skill and you are a proven matchwinner. Wait for one more month and you will be back to your best. Please concentrate and get into good shape..Oh wait, these are about IPL I talked about.

Posted by   on (March 10, 2014, 1:47 GMT)

He is one of the best young cricketer , unfortunately he run behind short pitch ball and loosed his concentration. Raina you don't have to prove anyone that you know how to play short pitch ball. Please try to bat the way you started your career runs will come for you. If you look at the dismissals most of them are trying to prove about the upper hand over short pitch ball or giving spinners too much respect. Play your natural game you will be in the team forever.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 17:36 GMT)

If you are looking for advice on how to face a particular strategy, in this case the short ball strategy, you will get better advice from some one who faced the issue and overcame it, than someone who was so natural and didn't face the issue. Also a coach need not be a better batsman, he needs to be someone the player trusts in. So Raina is the best judge to see who is the best man to help him, not us.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 17:27 GMT)

Raina was surely missed in Asia Cup. He is the fulcrum of the team as far as lower middle order is concerned.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 17:09 GMT)

Raina went to Ganguly for a reason, Raina knows what he is doing, there is no need to judge him here. Raina struggles with short pitch outside Subcontinent because the ball there raises steeply. Raina is basically a front foot player similar to Ganguly, there was no rocking back movement for him to move to back foot for short ball like how Dravid, Kolhi or even Dhoni has. That is why they play short pitched stuff so well in all kind of pitches. Ganguly somehow managed to succeed with this only front foot only technique of his, that is why he will be best to advice Raina on how to succeed without changing his technique.

Regarding dropping Raina it was very obvious to everyone that a quality fast bowler can pick up Raina's wicket with ease. Like how Johnson picked up his wicket in Aus series even in flat Indian wickets.

Posted by wolf777 on (March 9, 2014, 17:08 GMT)

Raina's problem is short balls...and he is seeking batting tip from Ganguly? That's an oxymoron...

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 17:01 GMT)

Yes, I agree. People expecting big 100s and 50s from Raina should really understand the role he is given in the team. Experimenting with him at No. 4 saying "We want more from Raina" is the biggest mistake. He unfortunately lost his touch and that affected in the area that he was good at. Scoring quick 30s and 40s at the end helping India get a decent score. He never looked terribly out of form even in NZ and SA. He definitely needs to work on his technique and handling short stuff and he can regain his form. India needs both Raina and Dhoni as finishers. They should have never left his out of the side in the Asia cup. They failed to accelerate in the end overs which cost India dearly. So, lesson for the coach and captain should learn is don't tamper with Raina's batting position and lesson Raina should learn how to deal with short pitched bowling.

Posted by binu.emiliya on (March 9, 2014, 16:49 GMT)

We missed Raina in the Asia cup badly ,we played Rahane and Raydu both are good for steady batting they can not speed up and can not offer some part time bowling for me Raina is an integral part of ODI team, for the t20 world cup the team should be Rohith Dhawan Raina Kohli Yuvi Dhoni Jadeja Aswin Mishra Kumar and Shami

Posted by RaviNarla on (March 9, 2014, 16:36 GMT)

That will help him work on the timing and other aspects. Kirsten as a left hander and South african who played short ball well could not help him, not sure how much can Ganguly help in rectifying his mistakes. Maybe Ganguly can help a great deal in telling what not to do.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 15:27 GMT)

How ganguly can coach raina for attending short balls..ganguly is a failure in such balls...

Posted by Mittaraghava on (March 9, 2014, 15:25 GMT)

Raina is too good a cricketer to be left out of the shorter version 50 or 20 over matches.He should get a few 50's to please the selectors.He takes 90% of the catches especially in the deep ,which means he is a wicket taker virtually.He saves at least 20 runs in a 50 over matches by his feilding,by cutting off 2 or 3 runs in atleast 7 or 8 times in an innings. .He is a stock bowler.He should be a little selective in his shots to improve his scores,but often the match situation needs him to score quickly.The short ball is the one he has to sort out except for that he is a brilliant batsman who can attack any bowler at will.His lofted shots over mid wicket and square leg can be matched by only Yuvaraj singh.

Posted by NP_NY on (March 9, 2014, 15:14 GMT)

ODIs and T20s in the sub-continent - I would pick Raina over Rohit any day. On sub-continent tracks, no middle order in the world can finish games like Raina, Dhoni and Jadeja. India badly missed Raina and Dhoni in the Asia cups, that is why they ended up losing after making only 265 and 245. A stronger middle order would have easily won the SL and Pak matches. Outside the sub-continent, it is a whole another story because I don't think Raina has the technique. It is time that Indian selectors pick teams based on tracks and based on format.

Posted by Srini_Chennai on (March 9, 2014, 15:10 GMT)

@Ajantan Shantiratnam: "Why did he seek advice from Ganguly?" It is because Ganguly also had short ball problem, in spite of that, he was successful in both tests and ODIs. Not only Raina, even the best of batsmen can't handle well directed short balls. Players like Trott, Clarke who grew up in quicker wickets are suspect against short balls, still they're world class players. Its all in their mind. That is what Ganguly might have told Raina. It doesn't need to be a middle order batsmen to say this to Raina. Maybe if you take out your hatred for Raina, you can see things. But then.....

Posted by Nampally on (March 9, 2014, 14:43 GMT)

I don't know whether Ganguly can coach Raina to become a better batsman! Raina really needs to play in the English County cricket to work out his glitches in playing short pitched balls. There are 2 ways of dealing with the short pitched rising balls directed at the body. (a) Get out of its path quickly by ducking or getting the bat out of its path (b) Get behind it via good footwork. A short pitched ball is not = waving a red flag infront of a raging bull. Humans can judge & think! Raina is poor in judging which ball to hit + which ball to avoid by quick footwork. Otherwise he has strokes of dazzling brilliance. He should also work on developing correct foot work & agility by skipping or alternate exercises. But most of his problems are related to his discipline & confidence. Yuvraj has the same issues but is even weaker in these aspects than Raina because of his weaker defence & footwork. Both will benefit by watching guys who are excellent in these - e.g. Gavaskar or Pujara!

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 13:55 GMT)

A lot of people supporting Raina are saying so basing their arguments on memories of Raina on subcontinent pitches. Look how we were found out in SAF and NZ? The same Team had no problems playing Australia and WI at home. We need players who have the technique to play in AUS, NZ, ENG and SA. Lets see how we perform on the England and Australia tours before we talk selection of World Cup 15

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 13:48 GMT)

Not too long ago MSD said that Raina will be given an extended run at No 4. This was nothing but a favour from a friend. It is no secret that Raina and MSD are best friends. However its clear the selectors are not backing this plan as it became evident by Raina being dropped when MSD is injured. I think the selectors did a brilliant job. They selected Rayudu for Raina. Rayudu is a fielder and more solid batsmen. They selected Rahane in place of Yuvraj. Rahane is also a more solid batsmen, technically better for Australia (World Cup) and a brilliant fielder to boot. Its time we looked beyond Yuvraj and Raina. I would still bring back Sehwag and Gambhir for the World Cup if they showed good form. Sehwag could be our trump card. Gambhir can play in the middle order in place of Rohit if he is not performing. Both Sehwag and Gambhir are experienced performers in the World Cup.

Posted by Lalz on (March 9, 2014, 13:33 GMT)

Raina is far better than Rohit as he had saved more games for us in terms of his strike rate. If Rohit can stay in the team with a fifty on every 10-12 innings, then Raina can too with his usual 30's late down the order. We can find or suggest replacements for Rohit not for Yuvi and Raina . There are names of Jadhav, Menaria, Rahul etc.. but not yet sure of how much talented they are. Pujara can strengthen the middle order with Kohli as every time fans are looking at Dhoni down the order whenever Kohli fails at top given the absence of Yuvi. So there must be someone who can steer the innings when Kohli fails. Even Rayudu looked better on his fifty as he played without risking for boundaries and maintained a good strike rate around 95. Rahane can open the innings if not Pujara as he is a slow starter more fit for tests, My WC 15 squad will be Dhawan,Pujara,Kohli,Yuvi, Raina,Dhoni,Jadeja,Mishra,Bhuvi,Shami,Pandey,RESERVES:Rishi,Rahane(opener),Rayudu(middle order/keeper),Ashwin(spin).

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 13:33 GMT)

I do not agree that India missed Raina in the Asia cup. The player me missed the most was MSD and only for his finishing skills and not for his defensive captaincy and preferential team selection. Raina should stop thinking of himself being indispensable and work on improvement.

Posted by Nampally on (March 9, 2014, 13:17 GMT)

From my observation of Raina, his problem seems to be lack of focus & discipline to put up big scores. Of course there is a huge difference between scoring 50's & 100's and scoring in 20's & 30's. In Raina's case, Dhoni tried to push him to #4 position to help him achieve his big score but he failed so many times that it was embarrassing to see a scapegoat @#4! Raina's defence & concentration are missing. I have seen him many times falling to a bumper wide of the leg stump which he chases & mostly gets caught behind! How disciplined is that when you get a free run via wide in both ODI & T20. Raina needs to develop Patience & discipline in line with that of Pujara to succeed. His stroke play is great but one dumb mistake brings him down like a ton of hot bricks. Raina is the joint best fielder with jadeja- both unbelievably Good! He is also a fine economical off spinner. Only his discipline & focus has to be channelled to make him Great, as G.Chappell had predicted a decade back!

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 13:13 GMT)

Rainas main problem is that he is not good enough to play Test cricket. He doesn't have the technique (short ball) and doesn't have the temperament. It is difficult to understand why Raina has not already worked on this but this should be his aim. If he makes himself good enough to play Test cricket then he can easily adapt to be a reliable and successful ODI regular. We should not forget he can bowl well and field brilliantly which are good skills to have for ODI cricket. He is ofcourse a walk in to any T20 squad. No arguments. His story is so similar to Yuvraj Singh. Hopefully Raina succeess where Yuvraj couldnt.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 13:04 GMT)

Raina should consider himself super lucky to have got the number of chances that he has got. Even after all this experience and the best coaches and colleagues, if you cannot improve your game, eliminate weakness (Short Ball) and cement your place in the side, then you need to ask yourself, do you deserve to be in the Team? The two main problems with Raina is that 1) he is unreliable 2) he can't play the short ball. If you are coming into bat at no 6 then either your side is in trouble, requiring you to bat till the end or it means its slog overs and quick acceleration is needed. Raina is always one ambitious shot away from being in the pavilion. The solution of Raina is simple. Work on the short ball and temperament with the objective of getting into the Test squad. Sounds strange but it makes senses. If you are good enough to play Test cricket, you can play ODI cricket. If this is not true, we wouldnt be asking for Pujara to be in the ODI squad. Until then Raina deserves to play T20.

Posted by Lalz on (March 9, 2014, 12:52 GMT)

Dropping for one or two series will do good for players with commitment. I agree he is not in a good form. But if the rest had made him regain confidence and strength, then it will prove good to India as we have a replacement yet in ODI's or T20's. Only available replacement is Rahane for Rohit or Yuvraj if one of the two performs that bad. Even an average performance will tempt Dhoni to stay with his usual 11. And on bowling dept he can choose Mohit or Aaron. Mohit is his usual choice as he made into T20 Squad without topping the charts. So the first pick team will be Dhawan, Rohit, Kohli, Yuvi, Raina, Dhoni, Jadeja, Mishra/Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Mohit. Hardly Dhoni will go with 2 specialist spinners and 2 seamers with Jadeja, Yuvi and Raina as 5th option.

And for ODI, if Raina proves to be in form in T20, we can give him a chance for one more series else can replace with new faces. Given an allrounder deficiency, we can also try Yuvi for one more series. Both will fight hard ...

Posted by RSrikanthRao on (March 9, 2014, 12:16 GMT)

At a big stage like T20 world cup raina's experience and energy is essential. Taking advice from the person who had the same kind of problem makes sense..

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 12:13 GMT)

There is no double thought about his team sprit and skill set. He is the one who can take up the sword bat and punish the rivals. Like all of us, he also need some refinement in his techniques when the game and it's play get changes. Hope he would come with double sword to demolish all the critics thrown on him.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 11:25 GMT)

I don't understand this immense support to Raina. He cant play test cricket anywhere. Cant play short ball anywhere. Cant play ODI cricket outside subcontinent. That leaves us with T20I's and ODI's in subcontinent. Even in subcontinent, when he's got chances to play a long innings, he gets out early, absolutely no temperament. What he's good is - playing T20, he starts off his slogathan early on, hence a king in IPL. He has too many drawbacks, yet undeservedly being rated alongside Kohli, Dhoni & co. I hope the selectors give chance to the likes of Kedar Jhadav who is a seasoned domestic player rather than Raina who's perceived to be good.

ps: I know he has played few crucial knocks in the, but, those aren't enough to have a Indian cap for a lifetime.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 10:47 GMT)

Everyone of us can talk easy this and that...mean issue is the players have play to much cricket and are out of form that's it....stop the IPL is u want to see u players perform again

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 10:29 GMT)

@sirinie_chen: typical Indian fan excuse! If he is so different to a top order batsman why did he seek advice from Ganguly? He plays too much t20 and he is nowhere close to any best left handed batsman. I m being low profile and not including the comparison of high class right hand batsman out of equation here to make you feel better about Raina. He should seek advice from Yuvraj who deserves a chance ahead of Raina in any team!

Posted by arup_g on (March 9, 2014, 10:08 GMT)

Looking at India's current middle order, you kind of wish that Raian find forms quickly and comes back. There's no air of dominance in our middle order any more after Kohli and before Dhoni so Raina getting big runs and coming back is crucial to India, especially in the World Cup 2015. Also his bowling is very canny and of course his fielding is superb and will always save you 20-30 runs!

I hope whatever help he has got from Ganguly will help him. Raina has always been an honest cricket, never one to publicize himself too much, which is good for himself and the team! Let's hope he can come back all guns blazing!

Posted by Srini_Chennai on (March 9, 2014, 10:02 GMT)

People who are shouting for Pujara need to understand 1 fact: India can't afford to have Rohit, Rahane and Pujara in same squad. We need a quick scorer in middle order since we'll be chasing mostly around 300 in every encounters. My opinion is Rahane, ATM, seems a misfit in ODIs. I'd replace him with Pujara. If all goes well, this would be my 1st choice squad for World cup. Dhawan, Rohit, Virat, Pujara, Raina, Dhoni, Jadeja/Pathan, Ashwin, Shami, Aaron, Umesh. We need extra pace in Australia, so Umesh and Varun have to play 25-30 matches before the world cup to learn to bowl with some control.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (March 9, 2014, 9:56 GMT)

He didn't do that bad in SA but then 20-30s are not enough Why is dhoni averaging that much ?Sure he doesn't score 100 every game but tries to stay till the end of the game. Raina should do that when the chips are down. Although i am not fan of the Rahane, Rayudu, Jadeja combo they played till the end and ensured that we didn't get bundle out under 200 in Asia cup. Sure in the end it wasn't enough but Raina Yuvi combination is too flashy that either we get 300(mostly on flat decks) or bundle out under 200 (like in SA)

That said i would like to see Raina do well in T20 in place of Rahane/Rayudu. I some how feel we don't need both Rahane and Rayudu in WC 2015. They can be good in Test cricket IMO .If Raina can be a bit consistent (even if they were 30s and 40s and play the anchor role till the end like WC 2011 against pak) then i welcome him Consistent Raina and one of Rahane/Rayudu should be good for us in WC 2015

Posted by neanderthal on (March 9, 2014, 9:50 GMT)

Perfect man to tell him how to work out short ball problem. Ganguly never played short ball well but inspite of whole world knowing it, he kept on scoring regularly. Raina needs to figure out a way like that. It would have been foolish for him to go to a great short ball player and try to alter his technique altogether at this age.

Posted by Srini_Chennai on (March 9, 2014, 9:49 GMT)

@Ajanthan Shantiratnam: Do you know what you're talking? Anwar, Sangakkara, Trescothick are top order batsmen. How can you compare with Raina? Raina mostly comes in #6, he averages 35.35 with strike rate of 91. His average is higher than Mahela, Sanath, Sehwag, Rohit Sharma. I agree he is in bad form but to criticize Raina comparing those batsmen is unfair. From what I read of you, I think its you who has to watch more cricket to understand the difference between top order and lower middle order batting.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 9:31 GMT)

Its hilarious that he is getting advice from someone who never played short delivery well himself.what this world has come to

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 9:11 GMT)

MY TEAM FOR T20 WORLD CUP Dhawan,Rahane,Kohli,Yuvraj,Raina,Dhoni,Jadeja,Ashwin,Shami,Bhuvi,(RAHANE/MISHRA) need for the team

Posted by VJGS on (March 9, 2014, 8:28 GMT)

This interview shows just how much the Indian media can ruin someone life mentally in a matter of weeks. Its really sad to see someone as cheerful as Raina becoming so negative. If Rohit Sharma can be given one chance after another, then why not Raina? I would even go so far to say that in the absence of Dhoni, Raina could have been the linchpin that India needed to do well in the recently concluded Asia Cup... his batting in the subcontinent is brilliant too. He is also one of those Indian batsmen who is able to counter someone like Lasith Malinga with relative ease. To this day, he remains India's best fielder and is very handy as a part-time bowler too. All these factors considered, I would definitely have him in the squad for WC2015 despite his weakness against pace in pace friendly conditions. I really hope his time with Ganguly helps him overcome his perceived weaknesses.

Posted by criclovingmind on (March 9, 2014, 8:24 GMT)

definitely team india needs RAINA in both odi and t20.......

Posted by ultrasnow on (March 9, 2014, 8:18 GMT)

He could have just been brutally honest and said 'I'm happy playing only the IPL'. But that sort of honestly is too much to expect from our cricketers.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 8:13 GMT)

OUR DAADA should come as indian team batting coach..!! to be part of 2015 wc.

He is our real hero and real captain...We love him...we will never forget 2003 wc...what he has given to us!!~

Posted by JustAnObservation on (March 9, 2014, 8:10 GMT)

@Rohini. You are right! Raina is as much an intimidating a batsman for bowlers as a Deer is intimidating for other animals in a jungle. Other than Kohli and Dhoni, none of the present day batsmen fall in that category and no current Indian bowler (only Zaheer, if you try to squeeze one in the list). The real intimidating cricketers were the likes of Richards, Marshall, Lillie, Thomson, Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Gooch, Donald, McGrath, Warne, Hadlee, etc. If you want to add Raina to the list, I shall remove all the above names and you rename the group. Today, you have named Raina, tomorrow you will name Ishant, Ashwin, etc in that list!

Posted by sahbas_s on (March 9, 2014, 7:59 GMT)

whenever i see players like raina,jaddu,rohit,rayudu,ashwin, it reminds me of rahul dravid's statement a year ago saying bits and piece cricketers are not going to be helpful.how perfectly built statement by our wall!!! Are we going to defend our world cup in Aus with these players!!! BCCI is making mockery of our WC dreams.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 7:58 GMT)

Imagine a relaxed & back to form Sehwag,yuvi & Raina.

Team India would look something like (For WC 2015) -

Sehwag, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Yuvi, Rayudu, Dhoni, Mishra, Shami, Bhuvi, Yadav

Amit Mishra being more likely to get wickets comes into the 11 ahead of Jadeja & Ashwin who are definitely better batsmen than Mishra. ....with 6 batsmen + Dhoni if the batting needs more cover - I think we have the wrong batsmen, Dhoni should replace batsmen Sehwag, Dhawan, Kohli, Yuvaraj & Dhoni is sufficient power hitting. Pujara comes into the 11 ahead of Raina to play the sheet anchor ..... and Pujara has demonstrated an ability to accelerate.

Having given the batsmen the cover of an extra batsman, demand that a) They put up astronomical scores that 4 regular bowlers would be able to defend. b) Sehwag, Kohli & Yuvi pitch in for the 5th bowler's quota.

If Irfan gets fully fit & able to bowl 10 good overs, he can come in for Rayudu.

Reserves - R Sharma, Ashwin, Raina, Panday & Jadej

Posted by StreetView on (March 9, 2014, 7:50 GMT)

He needs to weed out the shortball-o-phobia from his mind. Even Ganguly and Steve Waugh struggled against the short ball but they made work-arounds and became successful test players. So Raina can take a leaf out of their book. With determination and grit he can overcome his 'short'comings :P

Posted by StreetView on (March 9, 2014, 7:36 GMT)

Team for T20 WC : Dhawan,Rahane,Kohli,Yuvraj,Raina,Dhoni,Jadeja,Ashwin,Shami,Bhuvi/Mishra,Pandey For ODIs we should pick Pujara for Rohit,Raina for Karthik. Our ODI Team must be : Dhawan,Rahane,Kohli,Pujara,Raina,Dhoni,Jadeja,Ashwin,Shami,Bhuvi(Mishra for spinning tracks),Umesh Rohit needs to be dropped. If they worry about Mumbai quota there is always Rahane.(deservedly so)

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 7:27 GMT)

@Anand. The fact that u can remember some of Raina's innings tells the story how little memory he has created. You're 16 yr old and you have to watch some more cricket to know what batting is. Do you know a guy called Hussey? Bevan? Trescothik? Anwar? Sangakara?they will show you what left handed batting is! It's not just few knocks of 35 ball 48s

Posted by plymuth12 on (March 9, 2014, 7:23 GMT)

raina provides essential experirnce, left hand variety and firepower to the team. he also can transition from sedate to aggresion very quickkly warranting his place in the side. plus judging from his relation with dhoni and bowling option raina is sure to give confidence to the side when hes in the right mindset. defenitely a surefire inclusion for the world cup in my mind. for the world cup i would offer a squad like so: dhawan,pujara,kohli,rayudu,raina,dhoni,jadeja,mishra,pandey,yadav,b kumar

Posted by JustAnObservation on (March 9, 2014, 7:21 GMT)

Raina has been given this many chances only because of his proximity to Dhoni and he being a CSK member. How can anyone be picked for years and years despite averaging in mid-30s in ODIs? And that too for one of the top ranked teams in the world. His technique is faulty and hence he is a misfit for Test Cricket. Yes, he can be utility player for T20s.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 7:12 GMT)

The problem with Raina is the head gets so messed up that he gets out to even rank average off spinners. He has played international cricket for 9 years now, not exactly a spring chicken and that his record is mediocre bar against England and SRL and some minnows probably points to ask that what have other batsman done that Raina gets so many chances.He has been pampered shielded and given a really long rope to prove himself.That he hasnt achieved any significant milestone probably tells its time for Indian cricket to look beyond him.

Posted by caldruid on (March 9, 2014, 6:58 GMT)

No Raina. Can the selectors get Pujara into the ODI team instead ? Are the selectors even thinking about bench strength for the year ahead ?

Posted by DanielRob on (March 9, 2014, 6:17 GMT)

Raina should be in the playing XI for the WT20 in B'desh. The pitches are slow and low, so the short stuff wont affect his batting much under such circumstances. He has always done well in the subcontinent.Raina was batting well in RSA also in the ODIs, whereas Rohit was struggling there. Raina works hard on his batting in the nets its for sure. Sometimes he plays the short ball very well, i have seen that and moreover there is no batsman in the world who is very much comfortable playing the short ball. He is a terrific fielder and also can bowl if needed. All i know is that a team like Pakistan would have played Raina in each and every game. I believe Raina is going to be a key member in the WT20 and will be the surprise package for Team India. All the best!! #BleedBlue

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 6:05 GMT)

@Ajanthan Shantiratnam ,The no. of short balls which can be bowled is same as the no. of bowls to be bowled.2-time rule is for bouncer. And talking about Raina,he is my favourite cricketer.He has won several crucial matches.He is the only guy to make 100 in T20s for India.He made a debut hundred in test cricket.He can hit sixes at his will.In 2011 england series,his score were 38,18 ball 40(22 over game),21,75 ball 84 and 15 and a 19 ball 33 in t-20 game.His 45 ball 65 against sri-lanka in 2012 was another match winning inning and numerous other. he took india to respectable total in cwc s-f and helped them chase in QF when 5 wickets were down.Even mike hussey had only 3 hundreds in his entire ODI career.Misbah hasn't any.It is not easy to make hundreds or even fifities batting at no. 6.Sometimes,a30 ball 40 or 35 is way better than 50 ball 50. Even more shameful is that a 16 year old boy has to remind you things.He performed way better than Rayudu and Binny.He won't drop catches often

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 6:01 GMT)

why is pujara not given a chance to open with shikhar dhawan??? i guess for india to win overseas ....someone like pujara, who starts with defensive tactics and later goes for playing shots ,is required in the team for india in odi's . It would be a perfect combination of openers (one defensive nd one aggressive). i dont understand why rohit sharma is opening with shikhar dhawan... who after facing 22 deliveries of steyn ...finally touches the ball .

Posted by the.ruffian on (March 9, 2014, 5:44 GMT)

insidehedge- raina is pre dominantly a batsman..and he is in as a batsman..it was right to drop him since he had taken his place for granted. sunil gavaskar, at the dead rubber against afghanistan, rightly said that the management dint play pujara or pandey coz they felt if they perform the favorites might have to make way for them..that is the attidue we carry..look at sri lanka...mendis was superb throughout the series..bt mathews dropped him for the finals.. thats brave..real brave..and what did kohli do? noo..dead rubber..dont matter..kaun sala team badlega..chodo yaar lets get this over with.. what hurt us most this series? it wasnt the bowling..it was the batting..we were short of 30 runs in both the games that we lost.. sharma failed..dhawan was average..rayudu i dont knw he did he even make his way to the final 11..rahane again is still learnin (read 4 years now) ...pujara could have made the difference..we all know hw solid he is..chuck it..lets concentrate on ipl now..:)

Posted by Rahul_78 on (March 9, 2014, 5:34 GMT)

Raina needs to walk the talk. He needs to go back to domestic cricket and score loads of runs and let his bat do the talking. He was extended a long rope by selectors and the captain. He was even promoted up in the order in place of Yuvi but failed to deliver consistently. He has scored runs in India but his struggle in overseas pitches against short pitched bowling is well known and he still hasnt overcome it. Likes of Rayudu and Rahane deserve their chance in the team now in the same way Raina got his ample opportunities. Also didnt like the comment that Indian team needs him. If Indian team needed him he would have been playing in the XI. After string of low scores and getting discarded from the selection what has he done to merit such comments. He would do well to get back to basics and domestic cricket and score mountains of runs. The international call up will happen automatically.

Posted by cooljack_143 on (March 9, 2014, 5:30 GMT)

with raina ,MS,Yuvi back in the team Ind should be able to make atleast semis.I doubt finals though.If Ind face SL on the way it will be highly Impossible for them even to make semis.But Ind is gonna beat Pak badly , I mean real badly this time.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 5:28 GMT)

Raina is a very talented cricketer.When at the crease his presence intimidate the opposing captain and the bowlers.He is an instant shot maker.Very handy bowler and an exceptional fielder.It is all correct what the stats show.How ever the solidity provided by Raina to the team is huge.Critics and media sometimes are very harsh and unrealistic.Raina,dont give up.I am a Srilankan waiting to see your performance in the coming T20.

Posted by SAURAVJAIN on (March 9, 2014, 5:22 GMT)

Better keep Raina out & bat Jadeja @ no 5 in ODIs.This will also make place for reliable and more sound Pujara @ no 4....Jadeja is in great form with the bat,has shown excellent temperament,plays bouncers better than Raina,rotates strikes and can change his gears any time.Then why not utilise the talent to maximum by let him bat up the order @ no 5 after Kohli and Pujara.... For WC 2015,Raina is not a reliable man because of his poor technique to play shot balls and pacers.Infact Raina was one of the culprit of defeat against NZ series.... Today Even a ranji captain will tell his pacer to ball shot at Raina.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 5:18 GMT)

Makes sense. India needs a leftie at 4/5 in the ODIs and someone who can bowl a bit. So if raina can play the short ball reasonably, he will be a real asset. Either Raina or Yuvraj is needed in the team. Dhawan, Kohli, Rahane withe Dhoni should be the main batsmen. Around them Rohit or Raydu or Shewag and Yuvi or Raina should be useful. But don't expect any miracles. Raina just needs to come out with a clear plan to tackle the short-pitched balls. Ganguly faced a similar test and did reasonably well in Aus and SA. So for the sake of Indian cricket let's hope for the best. Let's be open and hope something positive comes out of these. Ganguly is the only one in India cricket who has "turned things around" for India. After all we all want India to win don't we?

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 5:17 GMT)

it's all in his mind! He is always thinking about "Oh he's going to ball a short ball" and then all of a sudden full length delivery takes his wicket.

he needs to relax, clear his mind and play the ball on its merit, DO NOT assume that next ball is short ball.

Posted by subcontinent-expert on (March 9, 2014, 4:55 GMT)

Raina is the backbone of Indian batting order... He has won many matches for us and i m sure there are more matches to come... The solidity that Raina provides together with yuvi and dhoni makes Indian batting line up best in the world... Lets see how team performs in the T20 WC... Interesting to see how yuvi and raina performs coz that will decide India's fate this time also..

Posted by Inspector_Clouseau on (March 9, 2014, 4:53 GMT)

I hope he sorted out his footwork as he says. The irony is he stands so back in his crease expecting a short ball that even when a full ball is bowled he fails to capitalize or even gets out.

Posted by wapuser on (March 9, 2014, 4:17 GMT)

Talk talk only talk but in the field he is under so much pressure that he can't even make 35 or 40 . I am big fan of rohit sharma and I think Raina should learn from rohit on how to play short ball and also how to play for the team. Sometimes rohit strike rate is less than 50 when team is facing dale Steyn or Mitchell Johnson and once platform is set by rohit virat comes in and bat easily. That's how India chased big targets against Australia. I think instead of looking at personal batting score batsman should worry about how his innings is contributing for a team. Sometimes 35 runs inning is better than 70 run inning. So I am big fan of rohit sharma when he is building his innings but rohit have to realize that he cannot hook every short ball out of the park for 6 so he gets out trying to hit every short ball.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 3:12 GMT)

No shame admitting Indian team did miss Raina especially in the absence of Dhoni in recently concluded Asia Cup. I think he is indispensable for shorter formats especially if they are in subcontinent pitches. Same could be said about Yuvraj too however he was looking listless vs Australia.Hope they gets enough motivation from this exile and come back stronger.One positive for India was that they unearthed Rayudu's skills as innings builder with decent technique which will come handy overseas. Here's hoping guys will blow away everyone in t20 wc.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 2:51 GMT)

The main problm is Raina thinks his main failure is short ball! Not really, there are maximum of two short balls per over and these days spinners ball more overs than pacers. So the problem is his footwork in general, the moment the bowlers deprive him of space to free his arms he gets out. He needs to learn to come down to the pitch of the ball and hit the ball than wait for the balls that gives him few favourite shots only.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 2:42 GMT)

Dada is a good person to seek advice to. Raina the best "team man" in the team.. Force Raina, Asia cup last overs were dreadful without Raina and MS Dhoni.. Need Raina badly in the team..

Posted by Inspector_Clouseau on (March 9, 2014, 2:18 GMT)

Ind terribly missed his batting firepower lower down and his part time spin. Same thing with Yuvi. If these two lefties get back in form, Ind would be hard to beat. And well of course, Dada rocks!

Posted by Longmemory on (March 9, 2014, 1:50 GMT)

I don't think he gets it. The problem with Raina is very simple: he cannot play the short pitched ball. Until he learns how to negotiate that confidently he is basically a walking wicket. He will not score any time the ball rises around shoulder-height or more and is directed at his body. Its not about averages and scoring 30's with the lower order and all the rest of it. For a guy who has been around as long as he has to still have no plan whatsoever in dealing with the short ball is just amazing. He neither ducks under nor does he sway away nor does he hook. He plays some weird combination of all three simultaneously and gets caught in the deep. Its so predictable its just depressing. Go work on sorting that out Suresh - and all the rest will fall into place.

Posted by InsideHedge on (March 9, 2014, 1:42 GMT)

Only the ignorant can't see the value of Raina in limited overs cricket, he's a dynamic player. Some Indian fans, nay many, have short memories. In the 2011 World Cup, he played critical, match-winning innings in BOTH the QF and SF against Australia and Pak respectively. Against Pak, we were behind when he came into bat, it needed a brave knock to put a total we could hope to defend.

Even if he fails with the bat, he's got both high class fielding and serviceable spin bowling (superior to Rohit Sharma) to call on. I don't see how he cannot be contributing to every limited overs game he plays in. You won't catch him colliding with a fielder going for a catch!

Now compare Raina to one trick ponies such as Dhawan, Rahane, Rayudu, Pujara and even Rohit. These guys have all their eggs in one basket. Similarly, we have too many bowlers who can't bat and field. The problem isn't Raina or Yuvraj, the problem is a new generation of Indian youngsters who lack all-round skills.

Posted by sundoo on (March 9, 2014, 1:20 GMT)

Iwish he does well. He is a naturally aggressive bat and is a livewire on the field.. Bats like him ,Shewag,Gambhir Dhoni are have the natural attitude for shorter version games and are match winnersunlike Rohit ,Rahane ,Rayadu etc. He should always in the team.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 1:19 GMT)

Playing 11 for T20 WC shall be: R Sharma, S Dhawan, V Kohli, Y singh, S Raina, MS Dhoni, R Jadeja, R Aswin/AMisra, I Pandey, S Ahamed, V Aron

From the Past ODI's in SA, New Zealand and Asia Cup, I saw A Rahane, A Rayadu, D Karthik are not the man to score quick runs that is needed in crucial phases. It shall be better to give Jadeja up the order since he is in the best form of his life now with the bat.

Surprisingly, why the batsman like C Pujara, M Mnahas, Yaspal Singh are kept aside and has never given the chances for Manhas and Yaspal since these batsman are the highest List A batting average in the world cricket in the top 10-15 players in the world along with Dhoni and Kohli! Check the status of List A averages.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 1:12 GMT)

Raina was offered to bat @4 by Dhoni and was willing to give a long rope, but he was struggling and failed to grab the opportunity. On his days, he can be devastating, but that has to be consistent. Still the doors not closed. The new comers have not done great either.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2014, 0:58 GMT)

Classic! This is a case of the blind leading the blind! For all his great qualities as a batsman if there was one glaring deficiency in Sourav's batting it was against the short ball! Sourav stayed stubborn and denied he had the problem till the very last. And now Raina wants to address this same problem by seeking Sourav's guidance. How would he know?

Posted by abhithaparian on (March 9, 2014, 0:48 GMT)

India's best team to the World Cup 2015: Sehwag, Gambhir, R. Sharma, S. Dhawan, Kohli, Raina, Yuvraj, Pujara, Dhoni, Jadeja, Ashwin, Mishra, Zaheer, Shami, Bhuvi. The current Indian team just looks like an India B team and nothing better than that. There are no match winners in it apart from Kohli and Dhoni. Always remember, a team of Rayudu, Rahane, Binny can be good on days, but a World Champion? Never! A world champion team is made of extraordianary individuals and not the ordianary ones. The reason is as simple as that: "Form is Temporary and Class is permanent." I seriously hope Sehwag, Gambhir, Raina, Yuvraj and Zaheer can gain form in this IPL and there should be nothing stopping them from getting into the cricket team. Otherwise, I am atleast not watching another B team getting outclassed in the World Cup.

Posted by abhithaparian on (March 9, 2014, 0:39 GMT)

If Raina can iron out silly shots from his game, I am sure there is no one the Indian team needs more right now. If he can do just that, not look for silly swipes on the leg side, when he can ably drive that ball, and not try to hook slow bouncers when he can simply cut them on the off side, there is no one who can do what he can. None among Rayudu, Rahane, Karthik or Binny(who make India look like an India B team) can bat like Raina can, when in his elements. It's not that he has really been in bad form or has lacked any talent. Off late he seems to be playing the short ball well. He's always had more critics than anyone else, for no reason whatsoever. And I cannot tell you how important he has been to the ODI side. India wouldn't have won the WC but for him, be rest assured. And I still dream of seeing a responsible Raina lead India. I hope this WC T20 he make prove what Wisden said of him years ago.

Posted by kiran_2015 on (March 9, 2014, 0:36 GMT)

Suresh Raina has always been an energetic fielder and team player, but of late he is lacking the next big step to cement his place in team india, i think he now has more than enough experience in international cricket to realize he is more than good enough player if he keeps it very simple, we all know he is very good 50 runs player in one day international and can save minimum 20 runs in single game.if he played to his potential by now he would be the captain of asia cup team not virat. hopefully suresh raina can realize it quickly that he is good enough player to be part of 11 if he plays to his potential which is score consistent 30 to 40 when required and be the bext fielder as he is in team india. Good Luck !!!

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 22:46 GMT)

India XI world cup 2015 1)Gautam Ghambhir 2) Shikhar Dhawan 3) Virat Kholi 4) Rohit Sharma 5) Yuvraj Singh 6) MS Dhoni 7) Ravindra Jadeja/Stuart Binny 8) Ravichandran Ashwin 9) Irfan Pathan 10) Mohd Shami 11) Zaheer Khan

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 22:27 GMT)

Dear Raina you are no doubt a good batsman at this time but not a good idea to take the advice from Saurav because it is better to raise a sound to make fast track pitches in India not only the turner as raised by Gautam gambhir, that's why India is good only on the Indian pitches & not produce a quality kind of fast bowler except Kapildav. There is fair example that IPL franchise are giving so much money to the outsiders not to the local players but in respond no franchise or club is interested to hire Indian Players, it's shame. You must join some club which is not in India to improve playing on fast pitches or raise the sound to the Indian board to provide equally some fast & slow pitches that will help all the players. Good luck

Posted by basusri133b on (March 8, 2014, 21:48 GMT)

Raina is being very naive. Statistics is an important measure to judge a player's performance. Raina has been part of the Indian team for the last seven or eight years. He has been given adequate time to prove himself, but has fallen short. There are numerous up and coming players from the under nineteen squad like Samson, Unmukt Chand,Baba Aparjit, Zol, Sarfaraz Khan Herwadkar and many others who must be inducted into the Indian team, to ensure that the Indian team grows stronger in the years to come. For years we have been repeatedly giving chances to mediocre players, while up and coming young and reserve players are ignored. As usual the BCCI has a flawed selection policy. Considering that we are seen as the world power house of cricket, the Big One, the results are Big Zero.

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 21:19 GMT)

I follow all sort of cricket,,,,,,,and Teams, Raina must have had a false thought that he would never be dropped from the Indian team. You might be trying your best on batting but it never looked like that. At times it looked like you don't want to win. When ever you tried to up the momentum it all ways got you out needlessly. The opposition always got you softly dismissed with shot ball. You always fall for it. You got to learn to play for your strengths rather than attempting short balls with out sound technique. You have to put a higher price for your wicket rather than trying orthodox shots. always remember that you on your own when it come to team selection.

Posted by AjuNair on (March 8, 2014, 20:24 GMT)

Raina here need to work on handling short balls...and he should ask his captain to give chance to bat up in the order once in a while...I have seen the best in Raina when he was batting at no.3...you have enough time to show a good performance and come back as World t20 and IPL are nearby.. work on your weakness, come back strong, still Indian team has a space for you...All the best...

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 19:26 GMT)

Come on Raina t20 World Cup is near and see world who u r best of luck done hard work

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 19:15 GMT)

ICC Player Rankings

1 B.B. McCullum NZ 797 2 A.D. Hales ENG 795 3 A.J. Finch AUS 772 4 V. Kohli IND 749 5 S.K. Raina IND 712 6 Yuvraj Singh IND 705 7 M.J. Guptill NZ 694 8 S.R. Watson AUS 686 9 D.A. Warner AUS 685 10 H. Masakadza ZIM 672

Posted by IndianSRTfan on (March 8, 2014, 19:09 GMT)

Whatever his shortcomings are, Raina is spot on about one thing. The Indian Team did miss him in the Asia Cup. In both the matches that India lost in final over, it was hard to avoid the feeling that we were 15-20 runs short. I felt it was an extremely strange move by selectors to keep Raina out of the squad for a tournament taking place on slow and low tracks in Bangladesh. Especially after Dhoni's withdrawal, I thought it was no brainer to include Raina in the squad.

But perhaps it is also an indicator that selectors' patience has run its course and they are looking for alternatives for the World Cup so Raina needs to reinvent himself quickly. It's all very well to say I'm only a 30 ball 50 person and not a 60 ball 50 person, but when the team needs rebuilding from 60-4 position, Raina needs to do the second and not first. He only has to look as far as Dhoni and Kohli to realize how it is done. Question is, is he willing to do that?

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 19:05 GMT)

raina... we miss you alot in the asia cup.please continue your hard work and the return really countable.

Posted by FRpunk on (March 8, 2014, 19:05 GMT)

Rohit Dhawan Kohli Raina Yuvraj Msd Jadeja Ashwin Mishra Shami ........... I am Undecided on the 2nd Seamer . Bhivi has Lost his Wicket Taking Ability with the New bowl and it Really Sickens How the Hell Can we Loose another Promising Swing Bowler . Shami is taking Wickets But he Has Take More Responsibility now and better his Economy . He is our Spear Head Now . Would have Love to have Zak in the Team . Zak may have Lost his Wicket Taking Ability in the Test Matches but he Could Bowl Yorkers Consistently . and If it Goes down to the Last Over , Opposition Needing 12 runs from the Last over , I Would Back Zak to Defend it .

Posted by   on (March 8, 2014, 18:55 GMT)

Good to see Ganguly helping out raina. He would make a wonderful battibg coach. why can't we have sourav sachin and Dravid as our coaches for batting and feilding and zaheer as our bowling coach. Why do we have look outside of india for our coaches. This is just freaking ridiculous.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
3rd Investec Test: England v India at Southampton - Jul 27-31
England 569/7d India 323/8
Australia A v India A at Darwin
Jul 31, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
4th Investec Test: England v India at Manchester
Aug 7-11, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
Only Test: Eng Women v India Women at Wormsley
Aug 13-16, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
5th Investec Test: England v India at The Oval
Aug 15-19, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »