Mumbai deny lodging Jaipur pitch complaint
Mumbai Indians have said they have not lodged any official complaint about the nature of the Jaipur pitch on which they lost to Rajasthan Royals by seven wickets on April 29. They also charged Rajasthan of trying to "sensationalise" the issue by making "unsolicited, distasteful" comments.
On a slow surface, Mumbai were restricted to 94 for 8 in 20 overs and slumped to their second defeat of the season. After the match, Mumbai captain Sachin Tendulkar had said: "It was a tough pitch, different to what we play on in Mumbai. I don't want to take the credit away from Rajasthan, who bowled and fielded well. It was two-paced, the ball kept low."
Initially, it was thought that Mumbai had complained about the pitch and Rajasthan captain Shane Warne had said he was "disappointed" by that. The IPL's pitch inspector Venkat Sundaram was present for Rajasthan's next home game, on Sunday, against Pune Warriors. "I am not having a go at Sachin or anyone, but [for] Mumbai in general, to come here and get outplayed like they did, I think they are using that as an excuse," Warne had said. "We suddenly have a pitch inspector here and I thought that was totally out of order and unnecessary."
When Tendulkar was dismissed for 51 off a high full toss on Monday's match against Kings XI Punjab, Rajasthan Cricket Association's secretary Sanjay Dixit tweeted: "Sachin gets out off a full toss. Can't blame the pitch this time." He had earlier tweeted: "Mumbai is known on the Ranji circuit as the most graceless side. Showing off their pedigree in IPL too."
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Mumbai denied lodging a complaint about the Jaipur pitch and hit back at Rajasthan. "There have been unsolicited, distasteful comments and personal remarks made in reaction which is not in keeping with the spirit of the game," it said. "It is disconcerting to note that Rajasthan Royals and a senior official of the Rajasthan Cricket Association are trying to sensationalise this issue."