IPL 2012

Taylor hopeful of imminent return

Sharda Ugra

April 13, 2012

Ross Taylor at a press meet a day after the third Test against South Africa was drawn, Wellington, March 28, 2012
Ross Taylor: "I was fortunate that I recovered quicker than perhaps I, or other people, thought [I could]." © AFP
Players/Officials: Ross Taylor
Series/Tournaments: Indian Premier League
Teams: New Zealand

New Zealand captain Ross Taylor is almost ready to return to competitive cricket, standing shoulder to shoulder with the man who broke his forearm. Taylor said he is "probably 95% fit" two days ahead of Delhi Daredevils' fourth match of IPL V, against Mumbai Indians on Monday. Daredevils is his third team in his fifth IPL season, and he will now share a dressing room with Morne Morkel, the bowler who broke his arm on the fourth day of the Wellington Test between New Zealand and South Africa.

Taylor, whose left arm is free of a cast but still strapped, said his current level of fitness was what he had worked towards. "I said I'd be available for the game on the 16th," he said. "Whether I'm picked or not is obviously up to the coaches, but obviously I'm doing everything I can possible to try and play."

After being hit by Morkel, Taylor had surgery on his broken arm the day after, and had rushed back to the ground in case New Zealand needed him to bat as they battled for a draw. He had the stitches from the surgery removed last week, before arriving in Delhi late on Wednesday. "They [the doctors] were happy with the way things were going," he said. "It [the arm] has improved every day since I've been here and I'm sure it will continue to improve over the next few days as well."

Surgery, he said, helped speed up his recovery. "I think the operation helped. I don't think I would have been able to be here if it hadn't been for the operation. The body is a funny thing. I was fortunate that I recovered quicker than perhaps I, or other people, thought [I could]."

In his 60-odd hours in Delhi, Taylor has been chatting with his newest IPL team-mates, including Morkel. "I've played for Rajashtan Royals and Royal Challenger Bangalore, and now Delhi. So I've only got a few more teams to go and I think I'll have played for everybody," he joked. When asked whether he agreed with the IPL rule that restricted the number of foreign players in the playing XI to four, Taylor said, "You would rather that four or five internationals vie for one spot rather than [there be] four automatic selections." Taylor has played 34 IPL matches over four seasons, including 22 for Royal Challengers between 2008 and 2010, and 12 for Royals in 2011.

So what is his preferred batting slot in a Twenty20 game? "My preference is to be picked in the side and I'll bat wherever the coach and the captain want me to bat," he said. "At Rajasthan, I was the designated finisher, so No. 4 or 5 is probably my spot."

Taylor pointed out that while the IPL teams were sprinkled with New Zealand players, only Daredevils had two - allrounder Doug Bracewell, apart from Taylor. "All New Zealanders will be [rooting] for Delhi now," he said, before adding on a more serious note that the IPL had not really caught on in his home country because of the lack of live television coverage, as well as the difference in time zones. There were, he said, a lot of people in New Zealand who didn't know anything about the tournament.

"You can only [judge] from what you see. Reading things [about a match] on the internet, and seeing the scoreboard … you don't get an indication that someone getting 20 off eight balls can be better than 20 scored off 30," he said. "Last year the IPL wasn't live [in New Zealand] and I don't think even the highlights were [on television]. The time slots are a little bit different, it's little bit tough to watch. The games are live now. I think every year the New Zealand cricket public will grasp it a little more. I'm sure in two years' time, if it is live, the New Zealand public will have a better perception of it. Once it comes live on TV, the New Zealand public will get in behind it."

What do his fellow countrymen ask him the most about the IPL? "They ask me, 'Is it as mad as it looks?'"

The IPL he said would help the New Zealand players prepare ahead the World Twenty20, which is scheduled for September in Sri Lanka. "The IPL will help us look at different tactics for sure. Spin also becomes a lot more [important] in subcontinent. We are quite a young side, but I'm sure Dougie and a lot of our other guys will get a lot of experience being here. The balance of our side [in the World Twenty20] will be very similar to what happens over here as well."

Sharda Ugra is senior editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sharda Ugra

Posted by Sano27 on (April 15, 2012, 6:57 GMT)

undoubtly the most improved side in this year's IPL is DD...waiting to see the full squad by the arrival of Taylor & Warner in to the team....KP,Mahela,Vender Merwe,Russel,Bracewell,Finch...along with a good pack of Indian side...now they look like as the strongest side with in 1 year after auction held in 2011..!

Posted by   on (April 15, 2012, 6:12 GMT)

Delhi should win this year title....Viru,Mahela,KP & Rosco ....with this linup add Unmukh Chand who is in fine form in the Curreunt U19 turnament in Aus he scored 95 & 100 notout and the oppo.bowler i s Patt Cummins...! then there is Naman Oja & Irfan pathan who is in good in his batting.Then they can replace Nadeem with talented Vikaas Mishra who is in Aus will return soon.Morkal is in good bowling form so as umesh yadav...All the best DD!

Posted by pai11 on (April 15, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

@India_boy: Colin Ingram is not in the squad. he has been withdrawn from DD.

Posted by HairyKiore on (April 15, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

The best NZ Batsman in T/20 is not in the IPL...Martin Guptill is in England playing for Derbyshire ...Wait till he decides to offer himself to the IPL then we will see real class..Re Live TV....No excuse ?? Its live online and most people have computers ..I watched everygame on my computer in 2011 and expected to have to do the same in 2012 so it was a pleasant surprise to see it live on TV although last nights game was not shown here so unless watched online the great win by Pune and Ryder and Smiths performance was missed here in NZ..

Posted by vvsquare on (April 14, 2012, 19:46 GMT)

delhi has to win the ipl title dis season wid such big names part of the team....players like KP,mahela,taylor & warner (sadly wud nevr play 2gether) in d side means dat dere will b no stopping VIRU dis season & will play wid lot of freedom...bt only if van der merwe & nadeem perform then delhi will b d perfect side.....GO DELHI GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 18:20 GMT)

Welcome to Delhi Daredevils Ross taylor .Daredevils side is best side of IPL2012 . I Hpoe Daredevils won the IPL 2012

Posted by jonesy2 on (April 14, 2012, 14:50 GMT)

they will be a really awesome side now with taylor and warner coming back later to join morkel and jayawardene in the lineup

Posted by India_boy on (April 14, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

DD has relied extremely heavily on strengthening their batting line up as last year they ended up as the bottom team owing to their poor batting. Now they have four world class batsmen in KP, MJ, Ross and DW but their poor Indian bowling selection means they have to play Morkel and Van De Merwe. At grounds where the pitch is slow such as Delhi, Chennai, Blore, KKR they can go in with two of the all four (pref. MJ and RT as they are better players of spin than DW and KP) and when they play faster pitches(pune, Mohali, Jaipur),they can sit out Van De Merwe and play three of all the four and Colin Ingram instead of MJ as he is a better player of pace and is a clean hitter at the top(can come one down). this also means (in theory) no more IPL for maxwell, bracewell,travis birt and russell, till at least the team is sure of qualifying. Now if DD fails to qualify for finals with THIS team, they should relinquish their IPL spot for some other team with a better management!cricinfo pls publish

Posted by testcricfan24 on (April 14, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

lol at 95% fit, which basically means he's unfit, but I would do the same if I was offered a similar kind of paycheck =P

Posted by TheMightyBradburn on (April 14, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

@Richard Edlin: Nathan McCullum is not at the 2012 IPL - his contract was paid out some time ago.

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

Rcb Will miss Ross taylor........ glad to see with viru Kp and mahila

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

Its all about the money.........injury doesn`t matter to him

Posted by Mr.Nepal on (April 14, 2012, 8:56 GMT)

I guess the most exciting IPL team for the year 2012 is delhi, with a player to watch KP :)

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

Aside from the fact that Ross Taylor broke his arm and he's not fully fit yet, I'm struggling to see a lot of accurate content in this piece!

Most, if not all, IPL games are on live in NZ (although this hasn't been the case before) and Dehli isn't the only team with two New Zealanders involved it.

Obviously Delhi has two players in Taylor and Bracewell; Pune has both Ryder and Nathan McCullum - according to Cricinfo at least; CSK has Steven Fleming as coach and Styris as one of the players. On the other side, Brendon McCullum (KKR), James Franklin (MI) and Vettori (RCB) seem to be single Kiwis in their sides.

Posted by youfoundme on (April 14, 2012, 8:36 GMT)

A chance to do what you love and get paid for it as well, you'd be an idiot not to go for it. Goodluck Rosco, I hope to see you playing soon.

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 6:04 GMT)

Delhi Daredevil side is now a frightening side.

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 5:06 GMT)

He'll be warming the bench, with KP and Mahela in the ranks, that's why there should be 5 foreign players allowed

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 4:35 GMT)

I just watch online. So many live streams that those who really want to watch it can do so. Sure, I won't be watching many of the 2.30am NZT games, but the 10.30pm games are a regular part of evenings during IPL month

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 4:32 GMT)

Another case of player hurrying just to have his pie of the IPL moolahs !!

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 4:31 GMT)

@doctorsush...IPL made for Indian viewers...Its popular or not popular in NZ Doesn't matter....

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 4:28 GMT)

Ross Is Our BOSS (RCB)...We miss you..Glad to see at least In Delhi Team.

Posted by crikbuff on (April 14, 2012, 3:47 GMT)

One more example of a 'professional' cricketer playing or wanting to play IPL despite injury! All these players keep saying that test cricket is most important for them, but their desperation to be part of IPL tamasha suggests otherwise!

Posted by CRICFAN_007 on (April 14, 2012, 3:25 GMT)

What the hell does 95% fit mean........???????

Posted by HadleeCrowe on (April 14, 2012, 3:19 GMT)

Roscoe you wee bewdy!!!! Go forth and destroy these mediocre attacks!!! Get ur value up to the 1 mill mark for next season!!!! Sorry for lack of thoughtful comment but we are talking about the ipl so feel that brevity, loudness and exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!! are all that is needed .... Hope Leo Taplin is developing well back in wellers, for sure the future of nz cricket!!

Posted by coldcoffee123 on (April 14, 2012, 1:50 GMT)

95% fit ? My foot !!. You are either fit, or unfit. And Ross is unfit. Money Money Money .....

Posted by   on (April 14, 2012, 1:10 GMT)

With a time difference of six and a half hours between IST and NZST, I don't really see IPL becoming popular here in New Zealand.

Posted by doctorsushi on (April 14, 2012, 0:36 GMT)

IPL matches were live in NZ but no-one watched them because most games are played between 2-6am.

Also I hate [it] when writers or editors insert clarifications into [the interviewee's] quotes. It [the insertions of clarifcations into interviewee's quotes] should only be used when absolutely necessary, but lately on Cricinfo it [the insertion of clarifications into interviewee's quotes] has been getting out of control!

Posted by Indian_Cric8_Fan on (April 13, 2012, 20:46 GMT)

I have been fan of your batting style for a very long now. THe shots over cow corner and between sw leg to mid on are powerful. Since i like Viru and thus DD, i was happy that you are in DD side. But please do not rush and take caution before you start playing......and when you start, Do exactly what you did to shoaib in WC game ;)

Posted by g_golu on (April 13, 2012, 20:10 GMT)

IPL is the greatest show indeed and no one wants to miss out !!... First Ryder is back from his 'upset' break from Cricket and now Taylor with a broken arm is raring to go and honor his contract... Taylor could have taken this oppurtunity to rest for a longer period and get himself back to 100% fitness before the upcoming WI tour. But its not to be thanks to IPL. If he gets injured once again and can't play the Windies tour, then who is to blame .. Daredevils or NZC or Taylor ?

Posted by g_golu on (April 13, 2012, 19:56 GMT)

Posted by   on (April 13, 2012, 18:17 GMT)

lucky you ross. You wont have to be facing Morne Morkell in any of the matches, other than the nets, where he's less likely to break your hand again!!!

Posted by CricFan78 on (April 13, 2012, 18:13 GMT)

Good for DD ... best batting lineup in IPL

Sharda UgraClose
Tournament Results
KKR v Super Kings at Chennai - May 27, 2012
KKR won by 5 wickets (with 2 balls remaining)
Daredevils v Super Kings at Chennai - May 25, 2012
Super Kings won by 86 runs
Super Kings v Mum Indians at Bangalore - May 23, 2012
Super Kings won by 38 runs
Daredevils v KKR at Pune - May 22, 2012
KKR won by 18 runs
Royals v Mum Indians at Jaipur - May 20, 2012
Mum Indians won by 10 wickets (with 12 balls remaining)
Chargers v RCB at Hyderabad (Deccan) - May 20, 2012