Corruption in the IPL May 31, 2013

Jagdale and Shirke resign from BCCI posts

ESPNcricinfo staff

The leadership crisis within the BCCI seems headed towards its endgame with two senior officials - secretary Sanjay Jagdale and treasurer Ajay Shirke - resigning from their posts following widespread criticism of the board's handling of the corruption issues in the IPL. Jagdale and Shirke are second and third in the board's hierarchy and their resignations, while opening up an administrative vacuum, is seen as a message to the president, N Srinivasan, who has insisted on staying in his post in the face of expert and public opinion.

Jagdale also said he would not serve on the three-man commission appointed to conduct the inquiry into Gurunath Meiyappan, India Cements, and the owners of Rajasthan Royals. "I had already requested the president not to keep me there. I had never wanted to be there," he said."

Justice T Jayaram Chouta, one of the two High Court judges on the panel, said the commission would now not be able to function because one of its members had resigned.

"I have resigned from the post of the secretary of the BCCI," Jagdale, who took office in September 2011 when N Srinivasan became BCCI president, told Times Now. "I am deeply hurt with the recent developments in Indian cricket. Let some new faces come and take the responsibility." Jagdale had played 53 first-class matches for Madhya Pradesh, and was a national selector too.

"No, there was no pressure, nobody influenced me. I felt deeply hurt, nothing else, there is no [other] reason behind it," Jagdale told CNN-IBN, when asked if Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association president Jyotiraditya Scindia - who was the first of the BCCI's senior politicians to speak out - had influenced his decision. "I was hurt as a former cricketer, as an administrator, as a cricket lover, I hurt like any of the millions of cricket lovers in India."

Jagdale did not offer opinion on whether Srinivasan should step down as president. "This was my decision, I leave it for Mr Srinivasan, he has been in the game for a longer period than me," he said. "He is capable of taking his own decisions."

Shirke had said on Thursday night that he was not happy with the way the BCCI had handled the issues of spot-fixing allegations against three Royals players and betting charges against Gurunath, a top Chennai Super Kings official and Srinivasan's son-in-law. "Yes that's true [I have resigned]," Shirke, who also began his term when Srinivasan became president, said. "I have spelt out my reason and don't want to comment any more. I have already spoken to the media at length, therefore I have resigned."

There is a possibility that there will be more resignations on Saturday morning from the five BCCI vice-presidents, including that of Arun Jaitley from the north zone and Sudhir Dabir from central zone. Insiders say that Chitrak Mitra from the east has let it be known that he will not quit while the other two vice-presidents, Shivlal Yadav from south zone and Niranjan Shah from the west, remain undecided.

ESPNcricinfo understands that senior BCCI officials had been in constant discussion with Srinivasan, asking him to step aside from his office as board president until the three-man commission completed its inquiry into his son-in-law Gurunath, the Super Kings owners India Cements, and the owners of Rajasthan Royals. Srinivasan, however, had paid no heed to their advice.

Late on Friday, Srinivasan agreed to call for a working committee meeting next week to discuss the corruption issues plaguing the IPL. The date of the meeting is yet to be confirmed, but ESPNcricinfo understands it will be held over the next weekend.

• Kirk-at-Lords on June 2, 2013, 6:15 GMT

As Winston Churchill famously put it, "This is not the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning". It is most definitely NOT about ousting India from world cricket -- that would be the one thing actually worse than what has gone on thus far! What good do such resignations do? They demonstrate the collapse of the current regime of cricketing governance. This obviously encompasses BCCI President Srinivasan (who is looking more and more like King Lear, governing his lost kingdom from an ash pile in a billowing gale), but it goes far beyond personalities. This is not about a few rotten apples in the barrel. It is about the whole barrel rotting away, threatening the whole of the present and future crop. Governance of the entire sport is at stake. Sorry to sound so repetitive like the now-disgraced Mr Srini, but yet one more time I say: Call to order the Cricket Constitutional Convention!

• Bang_La on June 1, 2013, 11:52 GMT

Oust India from cricket world, all will be well.

• jaikishan_k on June 1, 2013, 7:04 GMT

Extremely sad to see this phase happening to the game I love the most. Why isnt the conflict of interest on Srinivasan's part not obvious to the administrators and ICC ? Why should a committee decide what his son in law's role was with CSK ? Is Mr.Srinivasan indicating that he didnt know and had absolutely no clue as to what the role of Gurunath was with CSK and that an investigative committee should decide the same ? It is very obvoius. How can a so called "enthusiast" have so many privilages ? With his post, calling for a committee and influencing the outcome becomes very easy for him.

I agree with the comments of the gentlemen in this forum .. it is a mere PR exercise by the BCCI (a few resignations). But the man who should be stepping down is still holding on to the chair.

I would like to compliment and support Cricinfo for keeping the fire burning. Its time that the common fans spending their hard earned money to watch a game have an opportunity to see a fair trial.

• ozziespirit on June 1, 2013, 6:40 GMT

Looks like this is one huge scandal that won't go away. BCCI need new people at the top and fast if they want to restore any kind of credibility.

• justingemini on June 1, 2013, 2:35 GMT

Its being coward to resign and let go the sinking ship at this moment when they are required the most. As a captain (leader) its your responsibility to show the right direction, if there is an issue then they should fix it instead of running away. Its so childish to see these spineless people resigning their posts. I am no ICC or BCCI fan, but I'd appreciate Sreenivasan for his strategic decsion to stay on as a Leader while everythings being investigated. This is not a Fairplay award that the person leaves the field even before the third umpire gives its decision (investigation is completed).

• dummy4fb on June 1, 2013, 2:28 GMT

India has obviously produced many great cricketers and they certainly deserve to be in limelight.

IPL and BCCI has brought India under spotlight. My personal opinion is that IPL was the device BCCI used to generate funds to dominate the cricketing world. How these funds come through was never questioned. There have been many occasions where Authorities crying franchises foul for foreign exchange rules violations. The way these issues handled may have lead to evolve to what we see today. What we see today could be only the tip of the ice burg too!

Right now the situation is getting out of hand and it leads to question the integrity of certain individuals, IPL and BCCI as a whole. It looks like, from limelight to ridiculous!

One should start to work on way back from ridiculous to limelight! World is watching how India handle this matter.

• srinideva on June 1, 2013, 2:24 GMT

I don`t see why some of you making so much fuss out of this thing..It is already mentioned that the 3 members committee will work independently and submit the report to Bcci officials (No participation for srinivasan here)...then what u want go and look for the evidence and submit the report to the committee...This is big political game and media just helping them...

• dummy4fb on June 1, 2013, 1:09 GMT

Srini need not wait till the Meeting on 8th. He should step down now honourably and let the investigations take their course. It will be a mess for a while but things will sort out eventually.

• sentb4u on May 31, 2013, 21:16 GMT

Good decision!! trend setting!!

• ARad on May 31, 2013, 21:12 GMT

This looks like a PR move since I don't see what these resignations accomplish. If they indeed care about cricket, they should remain in their posts and fight for the truth. I am particularly disappointed by the resignation of Jagdale from the commission that was supposed to look into the alleged corruption scandal since that would have allowed him to make a real difference. I still don't see why Srinivasan himself should resign unless it can be shown that he has played a part in the corruption or if he has been interfering in the police or BCCI inquiries. It is unfair to ask someone to resign from a position based on uninformed pressure from the masses and media 'pundits' since as far as I could tell, none of us have seen the evidence.

• No featured comments at the moment.