IPL auction 2014

'RCB is a place I can express myself' - Yuvraj

ESPNcricinfo staff

February 13, 2014

Yuvraj Singh accounted for Shane Watson with his first delivery, India v Australia, 1st ODI, Pune, October 13, 2013
Yuvraj Singh believes his top billing comes with additional responsibility © BCCI

Yuvraj Singh, who became the most expensive player purchased at the IPL auction breaking the $2m mark, ahead of Dinesh Karthik, said, "I'm very happy to go to RCB and am looking forward to playing alongside the likes of Chris Gayle and AB and all the other great guys in the team," he told ESPNcricinfo. "But the World T20 is up first and that's what I'm focussed at the moment. I am trying to play as much domestic cricket as I can to prepare myself for that, and I hope for the best."

Yuvraj believed his top billing meant he would have to tackle greater expectation but added that the environment he is going into would help him work better. "I just feel that I am going to a place where I can express myself," he said. "Everyone's talking about my being the highest-paid player and being bought for so much at an auction, that also means that there is a lot of focus on you and on how you have to win matches, it adds responsibility. In RCB, we've got a lot of guys who are match winners on their own - Gayle, AB, Virat, Albie [Morkel], Rampaul can just take games away single-handed. It's a brilliant bunch, it is great that in that kind of environment, I can go and express myself."

The World T20 and the IPL will bring an end to a season in which had Yuvraj found his place in and out of the Indian ODI team, playing series against Australia, West Indies and South Africa scoring one fifty in 11 ODIs and one in a T20I against Australia. He was also not used as a slow-bowling option in eight of those 12 matches. The end of the season he says is not to be treated as one final stand. "I'm not looking at making any big statement. At the end of the season, it's not like I have to prove anything to anyone else [about] what I can do. I have to prove to myself that I have it in me."

He said his performances for India in international events like the 2007 World T20 and the ICC World Cup in 2011 were, "proven contributions to the team" and added, "You are not going to be thinking about what others are thinking and what you must prove to them - you have to prove things to yourself - and that is what I am looking to do with all the opportunities I get."

Posted by vikneshk on (February 18, 2014, 8:34 GMT)

Any t20 team wants yuvraj atleast till he was fit. He is more than capable for doing an another 13 ball fifty or 6 sixes in an over. Im expecting that in this year IPL. I was basically from chennai. But I need RCB to do well with Yuvraj doing his part. All the best Kohli and men.

Posted by neanderthal on (February 15, 2014, 17:52 GMT)

Form wise Yuvi is exactly in the same place as he was in 2010. Trying to recover his form and get into the WC squad. Hopefully he can use this IPL and the following ODIs this year to get into the WC squad and make 2015 WC same as 2011 for him.

Posted by Raj12345 on (February 14, 2014, 20:12 GMT)

RCB wasted his money. Better they would have been promoted other players than one struggling to score for 3 series in more than 10 ODIs. lol by seeing the price on him. He is always overrated like Raina.

Posted by Mr.CricketJKNotHussey on (February 14, 2014, 13:31 GMT)

@Fan1969 What are you taking about? T20s don't need bowlers? Johnson and Malinga were half the reason MI won last year. Everyone said their strategy of going with two world-class bowlers set them apart. And last year Gayle had no idea when Johnson and Malinga bowled short and fast at him...one of the most brilliant spells in the IPL. Steyn's thrashing was a one of. Also, Yuvi is incredibly prone to short balls, AND is out of form. During the Aussie tour last year, he got out to Johnson every time, to short balls, IN INDIA. Only Mally at the auction proved you right and everyone says he got it wrong. Seriously, he has no ack-up. RCB are depending sso much on Yuvi firing. If he can't who do they have to replace him? Mumbai at least bought Dunk and Hazelwood, decent cover.

Posted by   on (February 14, 2014, 12:39 GMT)

All he got what he deserve

Posted by heartbreakerz on (February 14, 2014, 10:29 GMT)

that's some serious wastage of money... yuvraj is past his prime n he has even lost his place in the national team

Posted by crick_sucks on (February 14, 2014, 5:03 GMT)

who cares...Mallya did not retain any of the local talent. So who cares if they win or lose.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 18:57 GMT)

Greattttttttttt. No talk. All he got what he deserve. And really it will be a great place for Yuvi to bat where all big three will set a platform for him

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (February 13, 2014, 18:38 GMT)

It's going to be a run feast in the Garden City. Gayle, Kohli, AB, Yuvi - now that's a batting line up I DON'T want to bowl at. We could easily see scores of 180-200 consistently whenever RCB are batting first. So teams should be wary of them now. Still, I think they lack good Indian bowlers. They can ONLY play 4 overseas, which means Gayle and AB will surely start every game. That leaves 2 more spots and depending on the conditions, they could alternate between Rampaul and Starc. Surely there is the slight imbalance as far as Murali is concerned because, I don't think they will use him in every game except perhaps when playing at Eden Gardens against KKR. So tricky if you are an RCB fan but exciting nevertheless.

Posted by ullasjp on (February 13, 2014, 18:18 GMT)

I'm happy Rana is playing for RCB he is a fearless hitter.. if he opens up with gayle then it would be a one helllll of a batting line up.. No matter wat the total is they'll chase.. the only weakness of RCB is bigg players do not perform crunch matches like finals.. Hope they all stay fit coz i'm anxiously waitin to see this batting line up

Posted by Fan1969 on (February 13, 2014, 17:41 GMT)

Yuvraj always does well when all the burden is not on him. Put him in at 3 or 4 depending on when the wickets fall with ABde and Morkel to follow and he will do better than average.

RCB will win this year. All bowlers including Malinga, Steyn and Johnson can go for 15-25 runs in some overs. Remember ABde hitting 24 runs of Steyn....!

Bowlers are irrelevant in T20 especially in India and the auction proves my notion. Mallya has got it right and should play Morkel in every game ahead of Starc/Rampaul. I cannot see Murali playing more than one game in Kolkatta/Raipur and none if IPL is in SA.

MI with ageing players like Hussey, Zaheer will be hard pressed to defend the title. Will miss semis as well. They have just 4 decent foreign players - Hussey, Malinga, Pollard and Corey. One injury to these four and they will be in deep trouble.

Posted by soumyas on (February 13, 2014, 16:45 GMT)

RCB is the team to watch because of exciting batting line up, but is that enough to win the trophy this time ? I think they needed one Indian bowler of type Pankaj Sing or Rishi Dhawan and one Indian batsman like Badrinath... they will be searching for these two, Take my word.....

Posted by muski on (February 13, 2014, 16:41 GMT)

Gayle, Vijay Zol, Virat, AB, Yuvraj, Albie, Mitchell Starc, Dinda, Varun Aaron, Jakati and Harshal Patel. Good balance of Blazers, All rounders and Bowlers. Zol and Parthiv can be interchanged based on performance and Starc and Rampaul can be interchanged based on form. Looks tough for Murali to get in.

Posted by fr600 on (February 13, 2014, 15:12 GMT)

He deserves what he's getting, a great player.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 14:34 GMT)

Malya was never a good business man and his player selection / spending method for this IPL season reflects the same. He never respected local talent and they have to chose other franchises. Iam very disappointed with his attitude. Moreover he says he does't have money to pay for his Airline staff but spending heavily on players for his IPL team, most of whom are useless. If he was shrewd he would't have left Kumble leave RCB as mentor if not as a player. I recon next IPL season will see new owner for RCB. Atleast it is my wish. Yuvi pl make sure you get the promised millions from Malya, before the matches begin or else..

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 14:27 GMT)

why people are behind yuvi'S 14crore. He got the money, what he has achieved in Indian Cricket for the last 7years. Afterall Mallya's money goes good person. Eventhough he has not paid months together to his employees. When I was proud of Karnatakas achievement in this season with lot of youngsters performing in Ranji & Irani Trophy. But this team of RCB, not having a single player of Karnataka. Good strartagy by Mallya. Atleast they should have taken Udit Patel for basic price of 10L.

Posted by CricketMaan on (February 13, 2014, 14:21 GMT)

Gayle, ?, Kholi, Yuvi, AB. That top 5 can be extremly intimidating, but then what will thier bowlers do?

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 13:42 GMT)

@ RajeshNaik and others complaining missing Karnataka players. I am from Delhi and there is no local Delhi boy in the DD line up. I am not complaining and neither are any other Delhi people. We are Indians and we have Indians in all IPL side. Support the one you like. Don't put us to shame in front of the entire world.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 13:32 GMT)

people who complain abt not selecting karnataka players, please use your brains. and for that try watching the entire aution again in youtube. its not like rcb did not want any karnataka player, but the timing in which these players were autioned was the issue. the time these players were autioned, we did not have enough money to bid for them. when shreyas gopal and gautam were autioned, we already had 3 spinners and two wicket keeper batsman. so it makes sense to not to bid for them. having said this, i'll always support my home team rcb no matter who stays or who not..

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 13:32 GMT)

@Nikhil, @Rajesh. I don't understand what you guys are talking. Sad that Karnataka players are not picked. Ok! But isn't RCB just the name of a team, Bangalore being their home ground? What has Karnataka to do with it? How is a fan of IPL linked to a State? These questions are for everyone who is a fan of IPL team whose name is based on their city/state. I am from a state, live in different state, support another IPL team altogether. I believe IPL has nothing to do with regional feelings.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 13:27 GMT)

RCB has a star studded batting line up but not a very lethal bowling attack... they could have atleast bought local players like shreyas gopal, vinay kumar, KL Rahul, CM Gautham etc... They used the right to match card on Harshal Patel(Of all people!)... I bet they will have a similar trend which they had all these years... blast their way to the semis and they will lose again.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 13:11 GMT)

RCB is going to be a crowd-puller wherever it goes to play. Expect super-house-full think of season booking of tickets.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 12:34 GMT)

Not a single Karnataka player in RCB!!! And they just won the Irani trophy! It's as if RCB intentionally avoided picking K'taka players. So many went at base price or unsold, shreyas, sharath, mithun, ganesh satish, ronit more, cm gautam.... Come on, they surely could have afforded some of those ahead of Takawale, Chahal, Warrier, T Mishra, etc!! RCB is losing my support for sure :(

Posted by kohli_is_future on (February 13, 2014, 12:18 GMT)

I'm licking my tongue at the thought of watching yuvi playing alongside with Gayle ,abd,vk,albie.what a fearsome batting combination this is.it's gonna be a blast for rcb fans

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 11:58 GMT)

Mallya & Kohli Co. doesn't need / recognize the local young talent which was a part of Ranji & Irani Trophy champion team. No Sharath, Gopal, More, Rahul, Gautam, Mithun, Aravind.....shame on you man....this time I will not see a single match of RCB for sure. The above youngsters could have been groomed for future IPLs and international matches by giving them a chance to show case their talent against the best in the world in home condition (or may be in SA). For me No local players NO RC...........................................................................................B

Posted by timtom on (February 13, 2014, 11:57 GMT)

Yuvi is a poor IPL players as his record for last 6 seasons indicate... But this is no Punjab or PUne where owners might not show open displeasure or make statements about poor performance.. Continue as the same dud in IPL 7 and some strong words from Mallya is guaranteed...Freely express your self !! really !! Is this not derogatory to earlier franchisees ? Please back your words with performance at least for this IPL...

Posted by   on (February 13, 2014, 11:48 GMT)

All the Best Yuvi, This is going to huge IPL for RCB fans.

Posted by AravindhanD on (February 13, 2014, 11:47 GMT)

@RajeshNaik : In Kings XI punjab and Pune, he had a team where he had to take the responsibility on himself. Even in that he did well in First two seasons with Punjab and the fourth season with Pune. In RCB, he has Gayle and Kohli who would play a innings and the stage would be set for him to come and hit.. Even if he fails to, there would be ABD and Albie Morkel to finish it off. There is no rules made by IPL that the respective team needs to chose players from their state. Its Vijay Mallya and team's wish to choose who they want and who they dont. HS Sharath has not even played a single T20. Whereas Sachin Rana has played over 20 games.

Posted by RajeshNaik on (February 13, 2014, 11:28 GMT)

Yuvraj, will you please tell me who or what stopped you from expressing yourself at KXI Punjab or at Pune? Do no make silly pre IPL statements. You are just overjoyed that finally you are with the bunch of jolly good guys. Onus is on you to show to the world that you were worth all the money. Good luck.

Posted by CricActually on (February 13, 2014, 11:15 GMT)

I am an RCB fan so good news that we have great fighters of international cricket all playing in same team. if they have a good bowling support, they are going to lift the cup this time. Go get it.

Posted by RajeshNaik on (February 13, 2014, 11:01 GMT)

It is no secret that even when Yuvraj was with KXI Punjab, he had his eyes, mind and body set on RCB. Finally he gets his wish. With not even a single player from Karnataka in the RCB team, I certainly will not be supporting this team at all. What a shame it is. Bangalore based franchisee and not even a single Karnataka player taken at the auction? I think I will just watch till Gayle gets out! They take Sachin Rana at 20lacs, but do not want HS Sharath at 10lacs! I fail to understand whether it was a delinerate stand not to pick any Karnataka player or they messed it all up. Overall it is a messy line up they have got!

Posted by Capricorn60 on (February 13, 2014, 10:53 GMT)

Yuvi looked very lethargic & disinterested the last time he played for India & so not surprisingly, was dropped from the team. However he is a proven match winner & so really hope he soon recovers his form & zest for the game as we need him firing on all cylinders if we are to do well in the forthcoming Asia Cup & T20WC.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose