IPL 2014

I have nothing to prove during IPL - Pietersen

ESPNcricinfo staff

April 8, 2014

Kevin Pietersen heads to the nets, Chester-le-Street, August 7, 2013
Kevin Pietersen - "I've played in every part of the world and after playing for almost a decade, I don't think I need to prove anything to anyone" © Getty Images

Kevin Pietersen, the former England batsman, has insisted that he will not be using his stint with the Delhi Daredevils in the upcoming Indian Premier League to "prove anything" to his detractors.

Pietersen, whose international career was put to an abrupt end by the ECB, said that he had already accepted that he may never play for the country again, and that he was looking to move on.

"The break away from cricket has been fantastic and I'm really looking forward to playing in the IPL," Pietersen said. "What transpired in March has nothing to do with what I'm about to do now. I'm not out here to make any point and neither do I play cricket for that reason.

"I find the opportunity of again playing in the IPL really nice especially because I missed the last season due to injury and also due to the fact that I absolutely love the competition. I've played in every part of the world and after playing for almost a decade, I don't think I need to prove anything to anyone."

Pietersen hasn't played competitive cricket since January, but he was bought for $1.5 million, which was the Daredevils' second-costliest purchase at the auction in February, behind Dinesh Karthik, who cost the franchise nearly $2.1 million.

Pietersen, who will lead the team in the seventh season of the tournament, said that he was confident of a good showing from his side, which he believes is well balanced.

"We're bringing together a talented side. It comprises a good blend of experience and youth - all international, Indian and domestic players. The most important task is to make everyone feel like it's their own team.

"According to me, the key to success this time around would be to make sure that the management, the captain and the coach understands each player and let every single individual be themselves. Also, the idea will be to train well in whatever way we can and try to perform to the best of our abilities."

The Daredevils had a torrid outing in the IPL last season, finishing at the bottom of the table after losing 13 of their 16 matches.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (April 12, 2014, 19:05 GMT)

@Ian Perera: England DO NOT deserve KP. He's better off with Delhi and Surrey for the rest of his cricketing career.

Posted by dunger.bob on (April 12, 2014, 7:31 GMT)

My crystal ball see's the Pietersen knee exploding, injuring several bystanders with the shrapnel. He will sit out half the tournament and become just another over-priced, over-rated ornament.

Posted by   on (April 11, 2014, 14:57 GMT)

Either you'll have to prove or if not,you'll be proven.......

Posted by A.Ak on (April 11, 2014, 10:14 GMT)

KP is in IPL to entertain for sure. I dont care about anything else.

Posted by visu625 on (April 11, 2014, 7:12 GMT)

My dd 11 will be vijay,pietrsen,karthic,duminy,devdhar,maoj tiwary,nathan,parnell,nadeem,rahul,shami.

Posted by regofpicton on (April 11, 2014, 1:08 GMT)

After his most impressive career KP plainly does have nothing more to prove. And his main focus must be on earning his 1.5 million, rather than on annoying the English cricket establishment. But if he does go well, as I confidently predict, after the malignant treatment he received, I think he and his fans will greatly enjoy it anyway. I know i will.

Posted by   on (April 10, 2014, 15:28 GMT)

Your time is over to play for England.Now you've only got IPL .....

Posted by Vinod_Fab on (April 10, 2014, 12:58 GMT)

KP again expressed his desire to play for ENG, so this IPL indeed turns out to be vital for KP.. Perhaps change in the management..?? Shane Warne/Vaughan/Ford/Beefy into the mix for test matches..!!

Posted by   on (April 10, 2014, 12:57 GMT)

KP bud, you are better person and an excellent player than the whole of ECB clowns combined. You have nothing to prove for you have already done so over and over again. Actually, consider not playing for England as a blessing in disguise. ECB has too many tight bu tts running around trying to prove their worthless worth, so don't even bother. I do hold you responsible for opting to play for England instead of SA though. Have fun with IPL bud!

Posted by wpbus13 on (April 10, 2014, 12:37 GMT)

KP for an entire IPL season coupled with Gary Kirsten as head coach on its own is an additional 4-5 wins for Delhi Daredevils. Come the last two weeks of the tournament, they will definitely be in the hunt for a semifinals spot.

Posted by Baundele on (April 10, 2014, 10:59 GMT)

Why is there even a talk about proving KP as a player? The ECB has not yet come up with an explanation why they got rid of KP. He was dropped right after being the best English batsman in the Ashes. So, performance is not even a question.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 10, 2014, 8:49 GMT)

@ sachin_vvsfan on (April 9, 2014, 8:27 GMT) I wonder if freelancing may have been his best bet all along although I dont reckon England would buy into that. Having said that it may have been to England's benefit too.I'm not sure on qualification rules - my guess is that they change all the time but I'm pretty sure KP couldn't just say I want to play for another nation and it be fixed as quickly as mcf1981 intimates KP could still have done the IPL etc - maybe at the expense of the 1st series of the summer and if someone came in for him (in the Eng side) and took his place then that would be the risk for KP.

Posted by SamWintson92 on (April 9, 2014, 11:50 GMT)

I'm almost waiting very eagerly for IPL to start. Ever since 2008 when the IPL started, it's been a part of my life during the summer of Apr-May. I just love it. I'm very excited about KP leading & playing for Delhi Daredevils. I'm always talking about KP in IPL with my friends. Good luck KP ! Hope KP will have a shot at the leading run scorers chart.

Agree with Shane Warne, I'm also ready to ignore 10 (or even more) support staffs to have KP in the side. Fans of KP including me will continue fighting for his comeback in Eng team. He is denied of justice.

''KP SHOULD BE BROUGHT BACK TO ENGLAND SIDE''.

Posted by   on (April 9, 2014, 11:17 GMT)

KP will certainly turn out to be a match winner for the Daredevils. But he lacks in match practice but that hardly matters for a pro.

Posted by Ramanathan-sriram on (April 9, 2014, 11:05 GMT)

I wish KP to score more runs,then it will be most painful for ECB after the lose against Netherlands.

Posted by steve48 on (April 9, 2014, 10:58 GMT)

@siddiee, top quote, pretty much summed up the whole situation, didn't it?

Posted by steve48 on (April 9, 2014, 10:54 GMT)

@jasonsell, great comment, nothing needs to be added

Posted by   on (April 9, 2014, 10:28 GMT)

As an Aussie supporter, i am glad KP is no longer in the England side, because no matter which format he was playing in, and no matter how badly the team was going, it was never over until you got KP out.. unbelievable batsmen that was a pleasure to watch, ECB's decision is every English cricket fans loss.

Posted by rush1983 on (April 9, 2014, 8:33 GMT)

go kp.....go y'r truly outstanding hero 4 us......this is the right time to show y'r colours ....

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (April 9, 2014, 8:27 GMT)

@JG2704 I do not know all the rules for a player representing another country but if i remember it correctly a player has to play minimum 4 years of domestic cricket in that country in order to represent that country . Given his current age i do not think he will play test cricket for other nations. T20 Freelancing is his best bet.

Posted by soumyas on (April 9, 2014, 8:18 GMT)

@Dinesh Kanwar.... say it again "it is the time to show Eng what they have lost."

Posted by steve48 on (April 9, 2014, 7:46 GMT)

The biggest point has already been proven, Gary Kirsten and DDs saw fit to make him captain! Crucial job in the IPL, not one for the self absorbed or uncaring, trying to give the young Indian players the confidence to play alongside international stars...

Posted by LongLiveTestCricket on (April 9, 2014, 7:34 GMT)

Apart from Pietersen, DD has a real funny side for a 60 crore($ 10 Million) purse.No proven matchwinner apart from Pietersen.The Tiwaris(Surabh and Manoj) are there to just fill in the numbers. Vijay can occasionally give them good starts. Karthik is a good workman but he won't destroy attacks and win games. Really did not understand why they did not go for seriious impact players as Maxwell/Johnson and left out Sehwag/Warner who would have added value. Don't expect them to win more than 5 games and lokk set yet again for the wooden spoon.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 9, 2014, 7:33 GMT)

@MrCricketFan1981 on (April 8, 2014, 17:36 GMT) Not sure what the qualification is for playing for another country but if I can just add a few facts here

1 - There are also players from England and other countries who play for Ireland so if we are stealing players then so are they.

2 - Ireland is NOT part of the UK. Northern Ireland is but Ireland isn't.

@Charlie101 on (April 8, 2014, 20:16 GMT) - Indeed. However I'll be interested to see what comes out from both parties when they're allowed to talk.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 9, 2014, 7:26 GMT)

He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone but I'm sure there will be an inner glow if he excels. However I'm not so sure he will excel. He has hardly played any games in this format at this level in the last few years and he had a poor ODI series for England the last time he played in any SF. I can't recall the last time I saw the switch hit , reverse shots or the last time he marched down the wicket to the quicks. For me - in England uniform - he has lost that X factor. Maybe England stifled him in which case it is his big chance to prove people wrong.

Posted by Siddiee on (April 9, 2014, 6:53 GMT)

"According to me, the key to success this time around would be to make sure that the management, the captain and the coach understands each player and let every single individual be themselves." - A message sent politely, well done KP.

Posted by aby_97 on (April 9, 2014, 6:50 GMT)

KP ain't a Rookie anyore to prove anything to anyone.He is one of the most flamboyant batsmen of English Cricket. England's loss is IPL's and DD'd Gain.

Posted by muzika_tchaikovskogo on (April 9, 2014, 6:12 GMT)

Its incredible that England have opted to jettison a genius like KP. He is test cricket's greatest loss.

Posted by Siva_Bala75 on (April 9, 2014, 5:51 GMT)

DD's Indian batting contingent is quite strong- that gives plenty of flexibility to KP to choose the International players to have a good balance.

Posted by anver777 on (April 9, 2014, 5:00 GMT)

KP is already a proven "PRO"... IPL seeks his skills, but strangely no place for him in Eng squad ?????

Posted by   on (April 9, 2014, 3:45 GMT)

@soumyas, nice point mate. Agree completely. On side note, Pietersen will be loved & liked more in India than he ever was in Eng. There is a reason why our players (Indian) are overhyped. It is not players, its we fans who go over the top with each good performance. And we love flair and charisma ( condition that the player should not be a bad mouth). Whoever has got it, will be loved by Indian public a lot. Pietersen has that in abundance. Johnson, Hussey (though he is more liked for his manners which are more close to Indian culture), ADV, Gayle are few others who are loved more or equal like Indian players. DD is my second favourite for KingXI. I will root for Pietersen. Instead I think it the time to show to Eng what they have lost.

Posted by Cricket_theBestGame on (April 9, 2014, 2:02 GMT)

can't wait for KP auto bio to come out with tell all

Posted by class9ryan on (April 9, 2014, 0:59 GMT)

This will be interesting how well KP handles this Daredevils unit together. They are some good players but of late Quinton de Kock, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Mohammad Shami haven't performed up to their expectations. This can leave holes in this team. Also the talking point will be if they prefer Roscoe ahead of Duminy, Neesham where both of them are all rounders and better fielders than him. So the key will KP, Karthik, SHami's form.

Posted by   on (April 8, 2014, 23:40 GMT)

KP you are and will be remembered as one of best players to have played for England, may your continue to strike the ball to all parts of the ground.

Posted by thozar on (April 8, 2014, 23:02 GMT)

It is good for us Indian fans as we will get to see him more in the IPL. I am sure he will do very well. England's loss is Delhi Daredevils' gain.

Posted by thozar on (April 8, 2014, 22:57 GMT)

Kevin Pietersen is the best non-Indian batsman out there. The ECB are foolish to leave out such a flamboyant batsman. All English batsmen failed in Ashes. Why only target KP? If I remember correctly, he led the runs tally for England in their disastrous Ashes campaign.

Posted by landl47 on (April 8, 2014, 21:51 GMT)

Of course Pietersen has nothing to prove as a player. Surely nobody out there believes that he was dropped by England because he wasn't good enough? England just didn't want the problem of dealing with him any longer.

I hope he has a great season in the IPL. I won't be watching it personally, but I'm very happy to see that KP is in India- or indeed anywhere else other than England.

Posted by m0se on (April 8, 2014, 21:41 GMT)

I hope England clear house of Flower and Giles and bring in new staff and put Pietersen back in the mix of things.

Posted by ru4real on (April 8, 2014, 20:58 GMT)

KP and Taylor...looking forward to that connection again.

Posted by StevieS on (April 8, 2014, 20:20 GMT)

Gezzz he has retired from international cricket and still there are articles about this good but not great batsman. Anyone would think he was a Bradman, Lara or Tendulkar.

Posted by Charlie101 on (April 8, 2014, 20:16 GMT)

I have to say KP has handled himself with great class and substance since he ECB announcement . I really wish him all the best with his cricket carreer and hope sence will prevail and he will be welcomed back into our T20 and ODI team.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (April 8, 2014, 20:02 GMT)

Preach it to them KP, preach it to them ! I will for sure be glued to my TV set throughout the IPL and my next favourite team after RCB are the Daredevils.

Posted by Insightful2013 on (April 8, 2014, 19:56 GMT)

Too right, Mate! You absolutely haven't got anything to prove. Currently, if it was possible, I think you would be the only batsman who would have been able to face a Marshall, Wasim or Waquar at their pomp and would have relished the challenge! Mate, you were hard done by the ECB because that's always been the English way to mavericks. So don't feel put out in any way. Beefy,Freddie anyone with character and individuality is threatening to English management chaps. Just so surprised that Flower survived.

Posted by Kaushal_b on (April 8, 2014, 19:30 GMT)

MrCricketFan1981 - I don't think KP would be allowed to play for Ireland unless he is eligible based on family history etc. Ireland isn't a part of the UK, Northern Ireland is; so it's not quite so easy. However, I agree with you; I'd love to see KP being part of the Irish side. What would be better than seeing him play against England in an Irish outfit. I would want to see Andy Flower's reaction then!

Posted by mshyder on (April 8, 2014, 19:16 GMT)

KP is right, he doesnot need to prove anything to anyone. But a good showing at IPL would be an appropriate response to Flower, Cook, Broad and ECB Management. Very unfair to KP and English cricket. I hope they get trashed by every associated team like Netherlands did to them, and get whitewashed/humiliated by every full member.

Posted by Vinod_Fab on (April 8, 2014, 18:57 GMT)

They may say like cricket is a team game and individuals are part of it, but you see how much the team's impact changes when you have KP in the side, wothout KP just imagine the DD Side.. I still believe KP is a once in a generation player.. Team combiantion should be like below : Vijay,Mayank(Kedhar),KP,Ross,DK,Duminy,Tiwary,Parnell(Nile),Nadeem,Rahul,Shami Ross,DK,Duminy alongside KP needs to be in prime form to take this side into SF,if DD reaches Knockout then there will be no stopping them as they have big match players,especially KP.. Now it's all about whether they have it in them to reach SF.. (I don't like the idea of KP opening,KP as captain should take up the responsibilty and anchoring the innings will be most vital part)

Posted by PrasPunter on (April 8, 2014, 18:24 GMT)

@soumyas , thought you are right - we are only as good as the last performance and this applies to all spheres of life. Without KP, Eng is already back to the 90s.

Posted by Assassasinscreed on (April 8, 2014, 18:04 GMT)

Delhi has the x-factor in KP but the side is not as balanced as CSK or other teams my DD 11 is as follows Murali Vijay, Mayank Agarwal, KP,Dinesh Karthik, Ross Taylor/Duminy, Manoj Tiwary, Kedar Jadhav/shukla/saurabh tiwary,Nathan Coulter-Nile,Shami, Rahul sharma, Unadkt/Nadeem

I would have loved dekock to open but that will ruin the combination, but there is a chance that KP could open and in place of agarwal they may play some bowling alrounder as they dont have gud batting alrounders.

A very interesting IPL cmng up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by MrCricketFan1981 on (April 8, 2014, 17:36 GMT)

Why shouldn't KP play for Ireland? The Irish don't have a busy calendar, so KP can get more breaks from cricket, especially for IPL, CPL, etc. When England can steal the best Irish talents, the Irish should be allowed to have players from England too. Ofcourse they are all UK citizens, so it shouldn't be a legal problem. It's a call KP should take, if he wants to snub the English management, like the one the Dutch gave them in WT20.

Or may be, English county cricket pays more than Irish international cricket.

Posted by DarthKetan on (April 8, 2014, 17:28 GMT)

There are really only 2 franchisees in IPL that align with his brand....RCB & DD. Glad DD got him, though they ought to have picked Viru too. Anyhow looking fwd to DD's rejuvenated team doing well. Go KP!

Posted by   on (April 8, 2014, 17:27 GMT)

KP is still the best batsman in the world. I don't know the ECB is not interested in him.

Posted by Sakthiivel on (April 8, 2014, 17:22 GMT)

Sure you should show what cook and flower did to england team.

Posted by soumyas on (April 8, 2014, 17:09 GMT)

Every single day is a struggle and every day we need to prove in this competitive world especially when representing country, just look at what happened to Yuvraj in the final, He needed to prove even after such a fabulous cricket career, but he failed at that moment and all the name,fame he earned was lost, now again he needs to prove if he wants to continue his career also to justify 14 Cr in IPL, So whether you say it or not, IPL gives a second chance to prove oneself, many cricketers have got a call back to national side after a good IPL stint, everyone knows performance in IPL counts...

Posted by Aroundthelegsgoogly on (April 8, 2014, 16:37 GMT)

I will be paying very close attention to Pietersen's IPL campaign. I'm sure the failure that is the Cook & Flower management regime will also be paying close attention. Go Pietersen!

ESPNcricinfo staffClose