IPL 2014 April 8, 2014

I have nothing to prove during IPL - Pietersen

ESPNcricinfo staff

Kevin Pietersen, the former England batsman, has insisted that he will not be using his stint with the Delhi Daredevils in the upcoming Indian Premier League to "prove anything" to his detractors.

Pietersen, whose international career was put to an abrupt end by the ECB, said that he had already accepted that he may never play for the country again, and that he was looking to move on.

"The break away from cricket has been fantastic and I'm really looking forward to playing in the IPL," Pietersen said. "What transpired in March has nothing to do with what I'm about to do now. I'm not out here to make any point and neither do I play cricket for that reason.

"I find the opportunity of again playing in the IPL really nice especially because I missed the last season due to injury and also due to the fact that I absolutely love the competition. I've played in every part of the world and after playing for almost a decade, I don't think I need to prove anything to anyone."

Pietersen hasn't played competitive cricket since January, but he was bought for $1.5 million, which was the Daredevils' second-costliest purchase at the auction in February, behind Dinesh Karthik, who cost the franchise nearly $2.1 million.

Pietersen, who will lead the team in the seventh season of the tournament, said that he was confident of a good showing from his side, which he believes is well balanced.

"We're bringing together a talented side. It comprises a good blend of experience and youth - all international, Indian and domestic players. The most important task is to make everyone feel like it's their own team.

"According to me, the key to success this time around would be to make sure that the management, the captain and the coach understands each player and let every single individual be themselves. Also, the idea will be to train well in whatever way we can and try to perform to the best of our abilities."

The Daredevils had a torrid outing in the IPL last season, finishing at the bottom of the table after losing 13 of their 16 matches.

• Cpt.Meanster on April 12, 2014, 19:05 GMT

@Ian Perera: England DO NOT deserve KP. He's better off with Delhi and Surrey for the rest of his cricketing career.

• dunger.bob on April 12, 2014, 7:31 GMT

My crystal ball see's the Pietersen knee exploding, injuring several bystanders with the shrapnel. He will sit out half the tournament and become just another over-priced, over-rated ornament.

• dummy4fb on April 11, 2014, 14:57 GMT

Either you'll have to prove or if not,you'll be proven.......

• A.Ak on April 11, 2014, 10:14 GMT

KP is in IPL to entertain for sure. I dont care about anything else.

• visu625 on April 11, 2014, 7:12 GMT

My dd 11 will be vijay,pietrsen,karthic,duminy,devdhar,maoj tiwary,nathan,parnell,nadeem,rahul,shami.

• regofpicton on April 11, 2014, 1:08 GMT

After his most impressive career KP plainly does have nothing more to prove. And his main focus must be on earning his 1.5 million, rather than on annoying the English cricket establishment. But if he does go well, as I confidently predict, after the malignant treatment he received, I think he and his fans will greatly enjoy it anyway. I know i will.

• dummy4fb on April 10, 2014, 15:28 GMT

Your time is over to play for England.Now you've only got IPL .....

• Vinod_Fab on April 10, 2014, 12:58 GMT

KP again expressed his desire to play for ENG, so this IPL indeed turns out to be vital for KP.. Perhaps change in the management..?? Shane Warne/Vaughan/Ford/Beefy into the mix for test matches..!!

• dummy4fb on April 10, 2014, 12:57 GMT

KP bud, you are better person and an excellent player than the whole of ECB clowns combined. You have nothing to prove for you have already done so over and over again. Actually, consider not playing for England as a blessing in disguise. ECB has too many tight bu tts running around trying to prove their worthless worth, so don't even bother. I do hold you responsible for opting to play for England instead of SA though. Have fun with IPL bud!

• wpbus13 on April 10, 2014, 12:37 GMT

KP for an entire IPL season coupled with Gary Kirsten as head coach on its own is an additional 4-5 wins for Delhi Daredevils. Come the last two weeks of the tournament, they will definitely be in the hunt for a semifinals spot.

• No featured comments at the moment.