Lions eye tough road up the points table
Mumbai Indians v Gujarat Lions
Sunday, April 16, 2017
Start time 1600 local time
Head to head
Overall: Mumbai Indians lost both their matches against Gujarat Lions last season.
In the news
Lasith Malinga missed Mumbai's last match against Royal Challengers Bangalore due to an illness. If fit, he is likely to slot back in place of Tim Southee.
The last time Mumbai played Lions at home, Mitchell McClenaghan took 4 for 21, although that game ended in a last-ball defeat for his side. McClenaghan has not had the best start this season - he has conceded 149 runs in four matches, the most by a bowler so far - but did well against a Royal Challengers line-up packed with big hitters. On a two-paced pitch, he finished with 2 for 20, including the wicket of Virat Kohli.
For Lions, Dwayne Bravo remains unavailable as he recovers from a hamstring injury. According to team sources, he will not be traveling to Mumbai and will continue to focus on his rehabilitation in Rajkot.
Mumbai Indians 1 Parthiv Patel, 2 Jos Buttler, 3 Rohit Sharma, 4 Nitish Rana, 5 Kieron Pollard, 6 Krunal Pandya, 7 Hardik Pandya, 8 Harbhajan Singh, 9 Mitchell McClenaghan/ Mitchell Johnson, 10 Jasprit Bumrah, 11 Tim Southee/ Lasith Malinga
Gujarat Lions 1 Dwayne Smith, 2 Brendon McCullum, 3 Suresh Raina, 4 Aaron Finch, 5 Dinesh Karthik, 6 Ishan Kishan, 7 Ravindra Jadeja, 8 Praveen Kumar/Dhawal Kulkarni, 9 Basil Thampi/Nathu Singh, 10 AJ Tye, 11 Shivil Kaushik / Shadab Jakati
- Ravindra Jadeja has taken 12 wickets against Mumbai in the IPL but his economy rate of 8.95 is his poorest against all teams. In 19 matches against Mumbai, he has conceded 394 runs in 44 overs.
- Dhawal Kulkarni, who was dropped from Lions' last fixture against Rising Pune Supergiant, has dismissed Rohit Sharma in four out of seven innings. Rohit has scored 49 runs off 31 balls against the seam bowler. Three of the four dismissals have come at Wankhede Stadium.
- Legspin has been an issue for Rohit in the IPL. Imran Tahir, Rashid Khan and Samuel Badree have caused three of his four dismissals this season and overall in the IPL, two of the three most successful spinners against Rohit have been legspinners - Amit Mishra and Shane Warne.
- With only one wicket at an average of 227 and an economy rate of 9.65, Lions spinners have been the poorest of the teams this season.
- While teams have preferred chasing at Wankhede Stadium - teams batting second have won 16 out of the 31 matches at the ground - six of the last ten matches that began at 4pm were won by teams batting first.
- The four-wicket win against Royal Challengers on Friday was Mumbai's 40th win in the IPL while chasing. Only Knight Riders (43) and Royal Challengers (42) have more.
Rachna Shetty is a senior sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo