Injured Lee and Hopes miss second ODI
Australia's injury-hit bowling attack will be without Brett Lee and James Hopes on Wednesday after the pair was ruled out of the second ODI in Nagpur. Lee picked up a right elbow strain in Sunday's opening win, while Hopes limped off with a hamstring problem. There was serious doubt over Mitchell Johnson's fitness as well, after the bowler had hurt his ankle, but Australia coach Tim Nielsen said at the pre-match press conference they were happy with how Johnson trained on the eve of the match and did not rule out his participation.
Moises Henriques, the New South Wales allrounder, has been called up as a standby until the fourth fixture. He will join the team in Delhi on Thursday, flying back to India a couple of days after returning to Australia following his side's win in the Champions League Twenty20.
''The whole thing has come as a big surprise,'' Henriques said in the Sydney Morning Herald. ''I was unpacking my bags when I got the call. I'm over the moon. Can't wait to join that squad. It can only help me that I've just been playing over there for New South Wales, getting used to those conditions, playing a lot of cricket. You wouldn't say it's a disadvantage, anyway.''
Henriques said he was tired from all the recent cricket but would be ready to go once he arrived in India. The length of his stay depends on Hopes' fitness.
"With James Hopes' right hamstring injury being more serious and likely to keep him out for at least the next two matches it is thought adding a standby player to the squad is a necessity," Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, said on Tuesday. "Given the most significant injury appears to be Hopes' hamstring we have taken this opportunity to add Moises to the squad until the completion of game four in Mohali, where we will again assess the situation before it is decided if he remains with the squad."
Henriques was in a similar position during Australia's series with Bangladesh last year and he played a Twenty20 against New Zealand in February. Stuart Clark, a New South Wales team-mate, predicted correctly at the weekend that Henriques, who was a strong Champions League performer, would be an Australian player as soon as a spot was available.
Hilditch was also impressed by Henriques' work in India and during Australia A's winter series against Pakistan A. "We view him as an exciting young allrounder who will be looking to make the most of this opportunity in India," he said.
The injuries are a further blow to Australia's patched up line-up, which is in the middle of a gruelling schedule. Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Callum Ferguson and Nathan Bracken were unavailable for this tour.