IPL 2013 March 31, 2013

'Excited to be back for IPL' - Ponting

ESPNcricinfo staff

Mumbai Indians captain Ricky Ponting has said he is excited to be back for the IPL after a gap of five years. His retirement from international cricket, he said, has allowed him to focus on domestic leagues such as the IPL and the ones that follow.

"I am very excited to be back in IPL," Ponting said. "The way things have worked out - with my retirement from international cricket and finishing off the domestic season for Tasmania and playing well - they have given me the opportunity to be back here.

"The reason I did not come back for IPL 2 and 3 was because I had too much international cricket on at that time. And now that I don't have international cricket, the opportunities for me to play in these domestic tournaments are really opening up."

After the IPL ends in May, Ponting will head to England for two months to play for Surrey and then to the West Indies for nearly five weeks to play in the Caribbean Premier League which begins on July 29.

Ponting said his experience of leading Australia will play a crucial role in captaining Mumbai that already has some big names, such as Sachin Tendulkar and Harbhajan Singh, with whom he has had "great battles" over the years.

"I have got a really good idea of what makes good teams successful," Ponting said. "And they are all the things I will be bringing to the table in Mumbai. To think that I will be playing alongside Sachin Tendulkar and Harbhajan Singh, some of the guys I have had great battles over the years, and some of the young local Indian talent I have come across in the last couple of days is great.

"With Mumbai now, we have John Wright, a successful ex-India coach, and Anil Kumble, a successful Indian captain and a very very good Indian player and leader. Obviously me coming into the set-up, we have put together a really strong leadership group."

Mumbai finished third in the points table last season and lost to Chennai Super Kings in the elimination final by 38 runs. The closest they came to winning the title was in 2010 when they lost to Super Kings again in the final.

"Mumbai Indians have a pretty proud tradition in IPL of finishing up the top and being in the semi-finals," Ponting said. "We obviously haven't won the tournament yet but hopefully this year is our year."

• dummy4fb on April 4, 2013, 2:05 GMT

i hope mumbai win opning macth my play 1X sachin,d smith.ponting.rohit.pollad.d kartik.raydu.harbajan.munaf.d kulkarni.ojja

• Ozcricketwriter on April 2, 2013, 13:21 GMT

Ricky Ponting is a very good T20 batsman. Far, far superior to Michael Clarke.

• Lenniesahayi on April 2, 2013, 12:37 GMT

am running with Mumbai this time,Punter,Hughes are always favorites

• SpeedCricketThrills on April 2, 2013, 10:12 GMT

Guys, MI has Ponting, Sachin, Kumble in the think tank, apart from Ms Ambani in the foreground and Mr Ambani in the background. Does it need any more wieght in the think tank?

Let's sit back, relax and enjoy watching how their strategies work (or misfire!)

• dummy4fb on April 2, 2013, 4:44 GMT

EXACTLY past MonkeyGate what I call an Episode still in mind cannot be forgotton, but past is past. I totally agree with Ponting. After all Ponting is here to lead Mumbai Indians unanimously chosen by the Senior Mentors courtesy Anil Kumble and Ms.Nita Ambani. Previous IPL Andrew Symonds played for Mumbai Indians alongwith MAANKI the Bhajji (Harbhajan Singh), now Ricky Ponting with Harbhajan. So in sports things does happen, but the team comes first. Wishing All the Best to Ricky the PERFECT PUNTER.

• dummy4fb on April 1, 2013, 20:45 GMT

I think MI should send Rohit Sharma to open with Sachin. After arrival of Ponting MI may face some selection problems as MI having so many powerful middle order batsmen like Raydu, Pollord, Ponting, Karthik etc.Ponting is captain means he will be in the team always. Pollard & Malinga are also fixed. Now the gamble is between Smith, Oram Franklin, Levi & Maxwell.Looking at allrounder ability initially Franklin will be prefered. If Rohit opens with Sachin it will be definately helpful as one middle order slot will be filled by Ponting himself. And offcource for Rohit too it is helpful as he will get more time at the wicket. He scored 83 against England at Mohali playing as aopener only. Plus India is in search for a poerful opener for Champions Trophy. Positively Rohit may click. All The Best MI

• dummy4fb on April 1, 2013, 19:19 GMT

I was extremely skeptical about Mumbai signing Glenn Maxwell at the auction. We now have Ponting who is certain to play and Malinga. I think the remaining slots will be between Pollard, Mitchell Johnson, Maxwell and Dwayne Smith.

• fah4 on April 1, 2013, 16:17 GMT

When Ponting is captain Malinga and Pollard sure starter in XI then MI will have difficulty in choosing the remaining player from the list of D. Smith, J. Franklin, J. Oram, G. Maxwell. They should play Franklin as he proves himself in earlier tournaments. Ponting should open with Sachin followed by Rayudu if they play him down the order he will not be successful. My XI Sachin, Ponting, Rayudu, Rohit, Pollard,Karthik, Franklin, Harbhajan, Ojha, Malinga, Munaf

• prasad4418 on April 1, 2013, 15:53 GMT

MI lead by ricky will rock this year . MI has too many forign players as well as indianplayers I think it is waste of latent if they has no place in playing 11.so, think of indian young players who wants to impress world with their game like rayudu and dinesh.

• prasad4418 on April 1, 2013, 15:40 GMT

MI has too much of foreign and indian players. It is waste of talent if they can't play in any match. MI has also invested alot on maxwell but I think he will not click in indian conditions.So many star players but no place in final 11