Pakistan players apply for IPL 3
At least 12 players from Pakistan have applied to the IPL requesting to be placed in next season's auction. Though the identities of all the applicants is not yet clear, one player said most of the touring squad currently in Australia has been in touch with the IPL.
The IPL had earlier this month set a December 31 deadline for players from Pakistan to put themselves into the auction pool for IPL 3. Four players - Kamran Akmal, Sohail Tanvir, Misbah-ul-Haq and Umar Gul - already have contracts with franchises from the first season, though they stand currently suspended. The only way they can now participate is if their franchises free up a spot in their squads by offloading a foreign player.
"All the players here have sent emails to Lalit Modi expressing their interest for next season," one of the players told Cricinfo. "We haven't yet applied for visas to India but we have the NOC's in place from the board."
An IPL official confirmed to Cricinfo that "over 12 players" had applied from Pakistan though he was also unsure of the exact number. The PCB has passed out general NOCs for all its players, clearing them from their end to play next season. The board has been keen on its players being able to take part in the next season after they missed out on the last IPL, held in South Africa.
Pakistan's government had refused to clear its players to take part in that season, believing that their security would be at risk in India after the Mumbai terror attacks of 2008. That incident led to a deterioration in political ties between India and Pakistan. Because the relationship remains unstable, it is unclear what kind of interest franchises will show in Pakistan players during the auction.
Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo