Ireland news July 13, 2012

Rankin returns for Bangladesh T20s

ESPNcricinfo staff

Ireland have recalled Boyd Rankin to their 15-man squad for the forthcoming Twenty20 series against Bangladesh, after the Warwickshire fast bowler demonstrated his recovery from a foot injury sustained in April.

Rankin took 15 wickets during Ireland's successful ICC World Twenty20 qualification campaign in the UAE in March but he has only played second-XI cricket since then. Ireland will take on Bangladesh in three T20 matches, the first of which takes place on Wednesday, as part of their World Twenty20 preparations.

"It's obviously been a frustrating time sitting on the sidelines but it's great to be back bowling again," Rankin said. "The weather has hampered the amount of cricket I've played but I've been working hard in practise in the nets. I played for Warwickshire seconds against the MCC Universities, and I bowled seven overs in the three-day game against Northants taking 1 for 11.

"The T20's come at the right time for me as they are ideal in that they are just four over spells as I continue to build up my fitness and strength. The foot is feeling good - the initial healing period was given as 10-12 weeks, but we gave it a further two and I'm benefitting from that.

"I'm looking forward to the games in Belfast against Bangladesh as we've had some fantastic tussles against them in recent years. We played some great cricket in qualifying for Sri Lanka and the new ball partnership with Trent and myself proved pretty effective. This is an important series for Irish cricket and hopefully if selected I'll play an important part in it."

Andrew Poynter, the allrounder who hit the winning runs in the World Twenty20 Qualifier final against Afghanistan has also been added to the squad, which contains the 13 players named for the rain-wrecked ODI against Australia last month.

Bangladesh will play two warm up games at Comber on Monday July 16. The first will be against an Ireland XI captained by Andrew White at 12.30pm, followed at 5pm by a second fixture against a Northern Cricket Union select XI.

• Indianpunjabi on July 16, 2012, 17:16 GMT

Ireland is a Fantastic team in their Home Ground and Bangladesh At the Moment has the Best Ever Squad Since 2007 World Cup in my opinion

• Rafelgibt on July 16, 2012, 10:31 GMT

NO doubt about that IRE would be the next true opponent of BAN.........This time all the t20s would be very exciting one.........BAN are very passionate and IRE are very good at t20.........Cant wait to watch the all games.....Hope BAN would win the series otherwise no hard feelings..........GO TIGERS GO..........

• frozendilemma on July 16, 2012, 1:00 GMT

After the Australia game got washed out I`m really looking forward to this one...Go Ireland....

• cairo on July 15, 2012, 12:29 GMT

positive Ireland...confident bangladesh...wish to have some goog cricket now...

• dummy4fb on July 15, 2012, 12:13 GMT Ireland stronger team than Bangladesh? Funny the last time Ireland played Bangladesh, Ireland lost plus I don think any Irish player is ahead of our highest players in the players rankings so how can Ireland be better than Bangladesh? Please provide proof :)

• dummy4fb on July 15, 2012, 10:04 GMT

Ireland is capable of beating Bangladesh in this format. I am expecting 1-1 and one match to be spoiled by rain :(

• dummy4fb on July 15, 2012, 0:33 GMT

I think Ahmed chose absolutely best BD team those who are recently performance well. BD supporter don't be emotional. I think BD vs Irish hard contest this tournament as most of the Irish player are continually playing country. Another trouble BD will be pay Irish home ground. Even minor team also very strong in their home ground. So BD should be play well and prove that they are stronger than Irish by performance.

• dummy4fb on July 14, 2012, 16:14 GMT

BD team can defeat any team in ODI and t20 formate. So don't worry man.we know that nothing is impossible.....Tiger is dangerous..beware ..

• cricket2011 on July 14, 2012, 15:53 GMT

IRELAND TEAM IS STRONGER THAN BANGLADESH TEAM. My Selection.William 1-Porterfield (captain),2- Paul Stirling, 3- Ed Joyce, 4- Niall O'Brien,5- Kevin O'Brien, 6 - Gary Wilson , 7-John Mooney 8-Trent Johnston, 9-George Dockrell, 10- Tim Murtagh , 11- Boyd Rankin

• Lord__Rabbit on July 14, 2012, 13:58 GMT

In T20 cricket, Ireland is capable to beat any test playing country. So, Bangladesh needs to play really well to win the series. Good luck tigers.

• No featured comments at the moment.