Head selector ends confusion January 15, 2007

Board confirms Otieno and Modi out of World Cup

Cricinfo staff

Kennedy Otieno: ignored the deadline set by Kenya's selectors © ICC
Cricket Kenya has confirmed that Kennedy Otieno and Hitesh Modi will not be considered for selection for the World Cup, as reported last week by Cricinfo.

There was some confusion last week after senior officials appeared to contradict each other over the pair's availability, but David Waters, the head of selection, told Cricinfo that the situation was unambiguous.

"Just to clarify the position regarding selection," he said, "only players who participated in training and the practice matches held in Nairobi up to January 11 will be considered. Players based overseas were given a deadline by which to return to participate in the training and practice matches. Therefore Kennedy and Hitesh will not be considered for the World Cup."

All players were written to on December 8 informing them that they had to be with the training squad by January 3. It is reported that although Otieno did try to return from Australia, where he has a club contract, he was unable to get back to Kenya before the deadline.