Board denies claims of Kenya pay dispute
Cricket Kenya Samir Inamdar has dismissed claims in the Nation newspaper that national team members boycotted training in a dispute over pay as they prepare to leave for South Africa.
Inamdar told Cricinfo that there had been ongoing discussions about remuneration packages and that these had now concluded. He added that suggestions there had been any serious dispute, let alone a boycott, was simply not true.
While all the players are on professional contracts, much depends on how they get on in South Africa. "If they qualify for the World Cup they will get more [money]," Inamdar said. "If they don't but finish in the top six, they will get less." However, if Kenya fail to do even that, it is almost inevitable that the players will lose their full-time contracts and be forced to accept pay-as-you-play deals because of the drastic reduction in ICC funding that would result.
The squad will all attend a gala dinner at Parklands Sports Club on Friday before heading to Pretoria on Saturday.