|India 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|V Rathour||c †Russell b Cork||4||13||7||0||0||57.14|
|NR Mongia†||c †Russell b Lewis||9||35||24||1||0||37.50|
|SC Ganguly||c Hussain b Mullally||136||361||268||17||2||50.74|
|SR Tendulkar||c Patel b Ealham||177||462||360||26||0||49.16|
|SV Manjrekar||c Hick b Patel||53||217||144||5||1||36.80|
|M Azharuddin*||c Patel b Lewis||5||15||11||0||0||45.45|
|R Dravid||c †Russell b Ealham||84||177||149||12||0||56.37|
|A Kumble||lbw b Mullally||0||4||6||0||0||0.00|
|J Srinath||c Cork b Lewis||1||7||9||0||0||11.11|
|BKV Prasad||run out (Stewart)||13||78||32||0||0||40.62|
|SLV Raju||not out||1||8||8||0||0||12.50|
|Extras||(b 6, lb 12, w 7, nb 13)||38|
|Total||(all out; 167 overs)||521||(3.11 runs per over)|
|CC Lewis||37||10||89||3||2.40||(9nb, 4w)|
|AD Mullally||40||12||88||2||2.20||(1nb, 1w)|
|England 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|MA Atherton*||c Manjrekar b Prasad||160||468||376||20||0||42.55|
|AJ Stewart||c †Mongia b Srinath||50||170||115||6||0||43.47|
|N Hussain||retired hurt||107||236||180||12||0||59.44|
|GP Thorpe||lbw b Ganguly||45||125||91||5||0||49.45|
|GA Hick||c Srinath b Raju||20||139||83||3||0||24.09|
|MA Ealham||c sub (A Jadeja) b Srinath||51||151||120||3||0||42.50|
|RC Russell†||c †Mongia b Prasad||0||5||5||0||0||0.00|
|CC Lewis||lbw b Kumble||21||66||59||2||0||35.59|
|DG Cork||not out||32||108||96||2||0||33.33|
|MM Patel||c Manjrekar b Ganguly||27||88||77||2||0||35.06|
|AD Mullally||c †Mongia b Ganguly||1||13||9||0||0||11.11|
|Extras||(b 18, lb 18, nb 14)||50|
|Total||(all out; 198.5 overs)||564||(2.83 runs per over)|
|India 2nd innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|NR Mongia†||c Lewis b Mullally||45||198||153||4||0||29.41|
|SV Manjrekar||c Stewart b Lewis||11||35||33||2||0||33.33|
|SC Ganguly||b Cork||48||121||86||8||0||55.81|
|SR Tendulkar||c Stewart b Lewis||74||111||97||11||1||76.28|
|R Dravid||c Thorpe b Mullally||8||24||21||1||0||38.09|
|M Azharuddin*||c Cork b Ealham||8||36||14||0||0||57.14|
|A Kumble||lbw b Ealham||2||12||6||0||0||33.33|
|J Srinath||c Thorpe b Ealham||3||13||8||0||0||37.50|
|BKV Prasad||not out||0||13||3||0||0||0.00|
|SLV Raju||c sub (NA Gie) b Ealham||0||4||4||0||0||0.00|
|V Rathour||absent hurt||-|
|Extras||(b 1, lb 1, w 1, nb 9)||12|
|Total||(all out; 69 overs)||211||(3.05 runs per over)|
|CC Lewis||14||4||50||2||3.57||(1nb, 1w)|
- Rain stopped play immediately after Rathour's dismissal, before Ganguly even played a single ball. 28 minutes of play lost in the morning session.
- Mongia was caught by Russell when the ball spilled from Hick at first slip.
- Tendulkar dropped by Atherton at gully off Cork when on 0, at the Indian total of 39/2.
- Tendulkar scores his 10th Test century, 4th against England.
- Ganguly scores his second successive Test century, only the third batsman to score two centuries in his first two innings (after LG Rowe and AI Kallicharran). 6th batsman to score two centuries in his first two tests, second from India after Azharuddin. 5 of the 6 batsmen performed this feat against England.
- New ball taken at the end of 80 overs.
- Tendulkar caught by Hick in the first slip off a no ball from Cork, when on 119, and the Indian total at 261/2.
- 3rd wicket partnership of 255 between Ganguly and Tendulkar, highest partnership for India against any country, away, for any wicket.
- 177, Tendulkar's highest Test score abroad. Two runs short of his highest Test score (179 made against West Indies).
- Third new ball taken by Mullally at the 162nd over
- Prasad gets a 5, from a 4 overthrow.
- England to face 11 overs on day 2.
- Dravid drops a difficult catch at third slip from Atherton, when on 0, off Srinath. Atherton gets a boundary.
- Azharuddin drops Atherton in the slips when on 34, off Srinath, (team total 61/0). Atherton gets a boundary. Azharuddin injured his ankle in the process and has gone to the hospital for X-rays. Tendulkar is leading the team in his absence.
- New ball taken at the end of 83 overs.
- England 1st innings: 1x7 ball over (in Prasad's over, allowed by umpire Sharp)
- Atherton scores his 10th test century.
- Hussain scores his 2nd test century, 2nd in this series.
- N Hussain retired hurt at 322/1 (retired before the start of play. X-rays revealed that he had a hairline fracture in his fingers).
- Rathour dislocated his shoulder while throwing from deep.
- Mongia and Manjrekar open for India. Rathour unlikely to bat.
- Manjrekar crosses 2000 runs in Test cricket.
- Gavaskar adjudicated the Man of the match award, team managers Patil and Lloyd adjudicated the Man of the series award for England and India respectively.