Interviews InterviewsRSS FeedFeeds

'I know I am built for Test cricket'

Suresh Raina talks about wanting to prove his Test credentials, his rapport with coach Duncan Fletcher and his friendship with captain MS Dhoni

Interview by Amol Karhadkar

November 12, 2012

Suresh Raina negotiates a short ball, West Indies v India, 1st day, 1st Test, Kingston, June 20, 2011
On playing the short ball: "I am feeling good, my body weight is balanced and mentally I am approaching the ball well. No player is perfect and he takes time to master a particular thing" © AFP
Interviews : 'I want to play at least 80 Tests'
Players/Officials: Suresh Raina
Series/Tournaments: England tour of India
Teams: India

How frustrating has it been to be excluded from the Test squad after playing a valuable knock in the second Test against New Zealand?
I don't know. Maybe I was thinking that I was going to be selected but that's a part of the game. Sometimes you do well and sometimes you don't. I have a couple of Ranji games. I have played two and I am going to play a couple more before the selection for the third Test. I am enjoying the Ranji Trophy and not really thinking about the selection.

In hindsight, do you regret playing that lofted shot off Jeetan Patel in the second Test versus New Zealand?
No regrets. If the shot had worked, then the fielder would have been pushed back and then I could have taken singles. After playing that shot, people started talking that it was the wrong shot to play. But I know that if I had hit the shot then I could have worked out my singles near mid-on and mid-off. We had to chase. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. At the same time, I am working on playing down the ground.

Would you have preferred to be in the squad but not be in the eleven instead of playing domestic cricket?
I think it's better to play domestic cricket than just sit in the fifteen. Yuvraj [Singh] has made a good comeback after recovering from his ailment and he will get priority. Lots of matches [are] coming up, against Australia we have four Test matches [to play], and there are quite a few one-day matches. I am just concentrating on playing [domestic cricket], doing my fitness and hope to do well in the upcoming games.

Did any of the new selectors talk to you after the selection?
Sandeep Patil sir [the chief national selector] had come [to watch the Ranji game in Pune] and said that I was the main guy in the team. He said that I shouldn't worry and just concentrate on the game. He said that I will make a comeback soon. He is a good human being. He has played a lot of international cricket and he knows what a player feels. So I felt nice when he walked up to me and gave me confidence.

How do you respond to those who tag you as a one-day specialist despite you having played 17 Tests?
People will talk about me being a one-day player but let them talk, I know I have time. [In Tests] I have been out eight or nine times to spinners and I am working on that. I have won Twenty20s and ODIs for India, [but] haven't got such a chance in Tests. I know I am built for Test cricket. I have done well in Tests. I played well in the West Indies [last year]. The first Test in England also went well for me. I am working hard. The number six or seven slot is a difficult one to bat at. Henceforth, I will ensure that I will prove I am capable of being a good Test player whenever I get a chance.

Do you agree with the criticism about your weakness against the short ball?
People talk about the short ball. I am leaving the ball well, I am playing it well. If I couldn't play the short ball, well, then I wouldn't have scored in the West Indies and also in England. People talk about all Indian players not playing the short ball well. We are working on it. Everyone is discussing it and we are getting better. I am feeling good, my body weight is balanced and mentally I am approaching the ball well. No player is perfect and he takes time to master a particular thing.

You recently said you wouldn't mind hiring a personal batting coach. Has the time come for more batsmen to hire such experts?
You can absolutely have a personal batting coach. You are earning a lot of money and you should invest that in coaches. Everyone thinks differently. Praveen Amre was my coach for a long time, I am comfortable with him. Gary Kirsten [former India coach] was a left-hander, and Stephen Fleming [Chennai Super Kings coach] is a left-hander too. Now we have Duncan Fletcher as the coach. Coaching is different at all times, Ranji Trophy is different. International cricket is different. I personally believe that domestic coaches are good for communication. They have seen you bat and they can talk to you about your game. You are getting a lot of money in the IPL but you can utilise the money. There is no harm in that. You can invest the money in a good way.

How has been your experience of working with Duncan Fletcher?
He is very good. His batting style is very good. He has got various tips. For me it's important how much confidence he gives you because you can't really change a player's batting style, but he helps us [a lot] and his knowledge is very good. He is a very experienced coach, he has also been a good player and he is really helping us.

How do you deal with the age gap while interacting with him?
He looks old but he is not. He is very knowledgeable and he wants to share his experiences and his good times with all the youngsters. He communicates well with the players.

What sort of small adjustments has he suggested to you?
He does give me a lot of tips. Small things. We have spent a lot of time together in the West Indies and also played a lot of matches in India. He gives you little tips and if you want to do it then you adopt that tip in your technique. If not, then he will try and explain it to you in a different way.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of being friends with the captain [MS Dhoni]?
I am not a friend of the captain. No one in cricket is a friend. He is a professional cricketer and I am a professional cricketer. Off the field, everyone is friendly but on the field everyone looks at their own performance. Dhoni and I play for the same team, Chennai Super Kings, but apart from that there is nothing. People perceive that we are friends but then the same can be said about Sachin [Tendulkar]and Zak [Zaheer Khan]. You need to use the word friend in the right context.

Amol Karhadkar is a correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Amol Karhadkar

Posted by spinkingKK on (November 15, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

Raina, as he said, will definitely come back strong into the test team. He is taking his axing in the right frame of mind and his committment is always 100%. It's just the matter of time before Tendulkar either retires or gets dropped and that will be the opening Raina should capitalize on. An Indian team with Sehwag, Gambhir, Pujara, Kohli, Yuvraj, Raina at first 6 and Vijay and Rahane as the reserve players will be a very strong batting team.

Posted by   on (November 15, 2012, 4:27 GMT)

Good to know, you have age on your side and can always go to county for improvement. Sincerely speaking, Tiwari, Rahane, Badri etc. deserve some opportunity.

Posted by ooper_cut on (November 14, 2012, 9:07 GMT)

Raina will surely get back into the test team. Whoever says he is not test match material is a fool. Raina can walk into many test sides in the world including AUS/SA, Rob Quiney ? Rudolph ? He is a complete team man and gives 100% always, there are no breaks in that. He is worth 50 runs every innings that he plays as a result of this. No.5 or No.6, surely he fits into this Indian team. I am sure all that are recommending the other youngsters will be the first ones to brand them and put them down if they too do not perform to expectations. Attapattu was given more chances even though his first 4/5 innings in tests were ducks.

Posted by   on (November 14, 2012, 7:37 GMT)

"If I couldn't play the short ball, well, then I wouldn't have scored in the West Indies and also in England" Did he forget that he averaged 13 in the England series? I know he scored a fifty in the first test but he was awful in seven other innings. Not sure he should be quoting that as evidence that he can play the short ball!

Posted by   on (November 14, 2012, 6:41 GMT)

If he thinks he is built for test cricket should it not be reflecting in his performance..wake up dude..you are fit only for IPL not even one dayers..

Posted by   on (November 14, 2012, 6:10 GMT)

Rahane needs to be given a look in.Raina can wait as he has not looked the part in test.The Batsmen would be Shewag,Gambhir,Pujara,Sachin,Kohli,Rahane and Dhoni.Hate to leave out Yuvi.But he has to wait till sachin says good bye.Hope Yuvi doesn't retire before Sachin does.

Posted by aravind077 on (November 14, 2012, 5:27 GMT)

Raina is superb T20 & ODI finisher,but does not fit in test.but salute for your mad confidence for tests.

Posted by VivtheGreatest on (November 14, 2012, 5:13 GMT)

Maybe his technique is not good enough, especially outside the subcontinent but at least he's honest enough to admit his flaws and seems to genuinely want to improve his performance and his body language does suggest that he definitely tries, so I think we should give him a break. And he's definitely not a worse Test player than Dhoni, Rohit or Yuvraj. I feel the selectors should persist with him. C'mon let's be honest once Sachin also leaves who in the middle order apart from Kohli is really Test Class especially abroad???

Posted by KiwiRocker- on (November 14, 2012, 4:20 GMT)

It is almost painful reading all this. Suresh Raina is a technically poor batsman in same mould as Youvraj Singh. These are type of batsmen who thrive in limited version of cricket because rules are so against bowlers but when they face same bowlers in test matches they are found out. Actually, in the current Indian team, there is hardly any technically correct batsman. They are all suspect to short pitch bowling! CricInfo has posted Raina's picture for this article where his eyes are not even on the ball- I am sure even Chris Martin with a toothpick in his hand can play better than Raina in Yuvraj in test matches. It is an utter shame that Manoj Tiwary and the likes are being ignored because Indian selectors are toothless and can not drop non performers like Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulya and make emotional decisions to bring back likes of Yuvraj Singh! There is a whole generation of Indian batsmen who is being wasted because of so called greedy big names!

Posted by   on (November 14, 2012, 1:17 GMT)

Who said satire is dead??

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 13, 2012, 20:40 GMT)

Sorry Raina, you are NOT built for test cricket. Yes, you are an ATTRACTIVE player. Leave test cricket to boring guys. Stick to our T20s and ODIs which are the BETTER formats of cricket. God bless.

Posted by S.Jagernath on (November 13, 2012, 20:28 GMT)

I still can't understand how he can say he is built for test cricket.Did he watch himself at Trent Bridge,on a real green top.Did he see how Rahul Dravid opened the innings at the age of 38 & played the swing & bounce probably better than anyone else can.I wonder if he has the guts to compare his performance to Dravid's.If Raina gets selected,did Dravid really have to retire?

Posted by Raj12345 on (November 13, 2012, 18:37 GMT)

Better you stop talking about test cricket. Playing 17 test matches, you wasted others chances. People really deserve test spot are Rahane, Tiwary, Mukund, Badri and not you. There is 200% true about your frndship with Dhoni. Otherwise, you will not be in test team. Don't select Raina.

Posted by US_Indian on (November 13, 2012, 18:22 GMT)

Guys- unlike Rohit ( no hit ) Sharma, this guy is honest in admitting his limitations and a real hard worker and trier. If anyone needs a good backing and grooming, this is the guy, believe me batting at 6/7 is not an easy thing, not everyone can become a VVS and this guy has managed to get the best out of his position and opportunities. Moreover he is pretty decent bowler and one the of the best since Kaif, and young. If i was in the selection i would not invest in Yuvraj because he is 31, he has been tested time and again in longer formats, he is much more suited for T20 and ODI, going by his health condition it wouldnt be too long before he will hang up his boots (even though i wish him good luck and a long tenure but without getting emotional, thats the reality and we have to face it)

Posted by RK.Chandru on (November 13, 2012, 17:01 GMT)

It has become trend of sorts these days... players speaking for themselves and arguing their case (for inclusion) on their own. Funny! Raina has time and again proved that, he doesn't have it in him what it takes to be a decent test middle order bat. Unlike the short form, he can't argue in his favour based on his fielding credentials alone. It's time selectors shun and ignore these kind of vested articles and pick the players based on the players' current form and performance and their own (selectors') wisdom. If badri with an average of 27 with having been given so many chances (more than what he actually deserves) can speak so much in his favour, how much Badri can speak for himself!

Posted by aravabalaji on (November 13, 2012, 17:01 GMT)

If Raina is built for Tests then what the hell Badrinath is built for? In spite of having an average >60 in 100 matches, Badri has been left high & dry. Whereas all his juniors like Kohli, Pujara, Vijay, Raina, Rahane, etc., were superceding him. Badrinath is a perfect Test player and he richly & rightfully deserves a place in the Test XI. In fact, Raina & Yuvi have taken out 4 years of Badri's career. Agewise, he same as Yuvi and is fit enough to play 5 years of cricket. He should have his career, otherwise dump domestic cricket.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

Ok selected. But you must play in Perth and Kingsmead and win a test match for India ;)

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

Raina does not deserve any more chances in Test Cricket,selectors too much liking for Raina has got me more than chances he actually deserved in Test cricket.Younger players instead should be selected if selectors want to experiment.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 14:19 GMT)

Even I am not a great fan of Raina but cant forget that innings against Srilanka in August 2010. He played badly against eng but how can u forget the first test? he is neither a great player yet nor a bad player but tiwary should be given a go coz of his bettert technique but if Tiwary fails, u always have Raina

Posted by applethief on (November 13, 2012, 13:52 GMT)

@sportofpain He started with a test century, yes, but that century was also at the SSC. So if you want to be fair, you should divide those runs by 4 to get an accurate representation of that innings. I think India batted about 230 overs in their first innings, and Sri Lanka about the same.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 13:22 GMT)

joke of the day .. ;) he should have said i m made for 30 balls !!!

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 12:46 GMT)

Firstly, I would say one needs a clarity of thought whilst discussing Raina's woes against the short ball. One can make big runs without a single hook or a pull, if he knows how to keep the short ball away. Something like Sourav Ganguly did. How many runs do you think Sourav Ganguly made via hook shots or even pulls (I know he did pull better than he hooked). So, If Raina can build as a stop gap measure, a sound technique of not playing the hook (Only two bouncers per over), he can thrive of the other deliveries. Sachin scored a 200 in Sydney without a single cover drive. Ponting one played an on drive only after reaching 200 (I guess it was against India in Australia in 2003). Only a batsman who lacks confidence in his defence would hit out wildly to get out of the lull, while he should be biding some time and wearing the bowlers down. That is exactly what Suresh Raina is missing out. Plus, weakness against both hostile pace and good spin on his own admission makes me wince!

Posted by petert10 on (November 13, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

Odd comment on the realtionship between him and Dhoni that. Very adamant that its strictly professional...

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

Sorry, I dont think her has the technique or temperament for Test Cricket.Full stop

Posted by VJGS on (November 13, 2012, 12:23 GMT)

He really lacks temperament and patience - two of the most important qualities in a Test player. Until he can get out of his T20 mindset and relax on the field, he cannot play Test cricket

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 11:30 GMT)

keep your bat talking rather than mouth.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 10:35 GMT)

he is not fit for test cricket......so give a chance to any good player......

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 10:05 GMT)

i know i can be the next sachin tendulkar ,okay selectors give me a chance to play for India ,plz raina yo u have got many chances and have showed no signs of being test player ,and also second test tough chase for india ,this man walks out ,on 0 ,goes to hit a six ,clean bowled ,he cant play test cricket . LOL no 6 no 7 tough to bat at ,you cant survive there what would you do at no 3

Posted by sportofpain on (November 13, 2012, 9:40 GMT)

Give the guy a chance. He started with a test match century - and has had some other good scores as well. He needs a good run of ten tests. Guess what - the opposition would love to have him out of the team because he has the ability to change games with his attacking batting. They say he can't handle the short ball - they said the same thing abt Dada (who also got a 100 on debut)

Also he is plus 20 when he comes in to bat because of his terrific fielding. This guy is the real deal. We'll do well to stick with him.

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (November 13, 2012, 9:24 GMT)

I really hope for his sake that he can play the short ball because there is a lot to admire about Raina in all formats of the game. However he was totally unconving against the short ball in England. If he goes to SA where the pitches are even quicker he will have to have an absolutely watertight technique against the bouncer because there won't be any place to hide from Steyn and co. Yuvraj who has been chosen ahead of Raina and similarly cannot play the short ball and is lucky that Finn is not or at least seems likely playing the 1st test but seems to be the fans' favorite. Ironically it's Yuvraj who is an ODI specialist whilst Raina has the technique subject to the short pitch stuff and temperament for test match cricket. Good luck Suresh. Hope to see you back in whites soon.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 9:18 GMT)

He and Yuvraj are the biggest joke in the test cricket. THough they are good for limited over cricket. Sad that tiwary's place has been robbed by Yuvraj just like rohit sharma has done the same in one day cricket.

Posted by vinaykmr on (November 13, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

players having test potentials, attitude, temperament : pujara, manoj tiwari, kohli, players not having test materials in them include: yuv, raina,

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

Raina, Please show some mercy on Indian Test cricket team...!!! we had already witnessed your debacles in test cricket; specially on the bouncy pitches ..!!!

Posted by G.Vinoth on (November 13, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Raina is surely gonna make a great comeback in test cricket very soon... All these tough times are good learning for our Raina... we fans will always be there for him... our love & support is endless... He is our superstar always no matter what... C'mon sonu... Let's do this........

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 6:53 GMT)

Yeah sure ..I am built for President . Please help this guy and you can win iphone5.

Posted by maddy20 on (November 13, 2012, 6:26 GMT)

He still does not have clarity about his own game and he is dreaming of a comeback? One does not play lofted shots in cricket to push the fielders back. The worst part is, he is adamant to accept his mistake, which is the first first step to correcting it. Manoj Tiwary is leaps and bounds ahead of this fellow, and it would be a disgrace if the selectors pick this guy ahead of Tiwary again. He is good for ODI and T20 but not cutout for test cricket.

Posted by Narbavi on (November 13, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

@afridi102: He didnt' say that, he clearly mentioned he had a good first test, apart from that he didn' t perfrom, thats what he said

Posted by QingdaoXI on (November 13, 2012, 6:10 GMT)

Better option for Raina is play whole domestic season this year and if you are really not running for the money take a permission and skip the IPL for this year and play County cricket, at the end of the one year you will be better prepared test player, if you still doesn't got the confidence repeat the same cycle for one more year as age is on your side, after so much of experience you will definitely come good, and i have a feeling if you really want to have success you should start opening as Viru is fading we need a attacking opener with water tight technique, i hope if you real follows this points you will be great success.

Posted by binojpeter on (November 13, 2012, 5:42 GMT)

Sorry Suresh to break it to you. Rahane plays short ball better than you.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 5:39 GMT)

ha ha ha.... high hopes buddy... someone thinks he's God !!

Posted by pratit on (November 13, 2012, 5:33 GMT)

For Raina to excel in tests, he has to be aware of his limitations and adapt to it. There is no point pulling or hooking the short ball if you are uncomfortable with it. Rather, learn how to leave the ball on length

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 5:22 GMT)

raina is a batsman only in India. his statement on scoring in west indies and england is laughable.

Posted by spot_on on (November 13, 2012, 5:08 GMT)

Develop a technique which is required for test cricket!!!! A defense on the back foot to face short pitch deliveries per se !!!! I am sick and tired of these lads talking about making a comeback after messing up with their past chances...

Posted by Sanj747 on (November 13, 2012, 5:02 GMT)

He just likes looking at himself in the mirror and telling himself how good he is. Absolutely not a test player.

Posted by Samad.Sylhet.Mitali.Raynogor on (November 13, 2012, 4:48 GMT)

I don't see any impact in this story ahead of two country playing... man cricket world has changed it was better before i wonder why is this news shown ahead of bd vs wi match.

Posted by crick_sucks on (November 13, 2012, 4:38 GMT)

and we know you are not.......................................

Posted by rhtdm302 on (November 13, 2012, 4:18 GMT)

In your Dreams Dude! You don't have the mental toughness to do anything in test cricket, best spot for you is the twelfth man, bring in the drinks quickly when required and substitute for a lousy fielder.

Posted by Romenevans on (November 13, 2012, 3:41 GMT)

He is just an IPL bunny...he won't ever do good in Tests...specially outside India.

Posted by Jithinz on (November 13, 2012, 3:17 GMT)

This looks like the funniest interview comments I have ever read.I dont understand after his performance in Engalnd, how did he get a chance in Indian team again?

He looked like a tail ender in England and he couldn't even handle Swann.Let him concentrate on shorter format of the game

Posted by 9ST9 on (November 13, 2012, 3:15 GMT)

The statement is incomplete it should read as 'I know I am built for Test cricket, on flat tracks against mediocre bowling teams'

Posted by   on (November 13, 2012, 2:43 GMT)

@marlboro19 Have to agree and give Raina the credit. Raina surely seeks to improve and his intentions are clearly above money. The idea of seeking a personal coach is the sign of a cricketer seeking to make a mark! I am sure Raina and fans of Raina are surely dissappointed with his batting average in Test cricket. But, I believe he will have a glorious comeback. Talent will find its way to the top!

Posted by Rahulbose on (November 13, 2012, 2:22 GMT)

His futile attempts to gain public support and put pressure on selectors through these interviews are pitiable. Only way he can come back is to play a season in Eng or Aus and score runs there. Scoring runs on Ranji pattas will convince no one.

Posted by the_way_you_play_it on (November 13, 2012, 2:07 GMT)

I completely agree on the bit, where Raina says that no one is a friend on a cricket field and no one gets selected on that basis, there has been a talk lately saying that M.S.D selects players from his IPL team as they are friends, but I don't think so and he only selects player that he beleives can being value to the team and win the match. Mind you I am not a big fan of Dhoni....

Posted by solankibhavesh on (November 13, 2012, 1:49 GMT)

Raina is good batsman and match winner for India and he also did well in ODIs and T20 for india but when we talking about test cricket might be he is not good enough for test player he is far away from player like Rahane and Rohit who did well in domestic cricket so best of luck raina for ODI and T20

Posted by Nampally on (November 13, 2012, 1:37 GMT)

I think Raina should let his bat do the talking for him. He is a brilliant fielder - the best amongst the Indian team. However he needs to prove his worth by consistently strong batting performances. He needs to curb his tendency to be too aggressive & build more defence & patience into his batting if he wishes to be a Test player. He is currently known to bolster up the S/R by his aggressive style which includes a lot of lofted shots. So much so he is known to come & start striking from the very first ball. With that image he is now known as ODI & T-20 player. He is immensely talented but very inconsistent. He had an outburst about the Maharashtra team's long batting innings & complained bitterly about the placid pitch.Yet when his turn for batting came up he was out for a Duck!. That is the exact thing that kills the credibility of a player. Of late a large number of Indian cricketer are indulging in a lot of "Mouthing off" but not performing on field. Raina needs to note this!.

Posted by nilb on (November 13, 2012, 1:22 GMT)

One of the best young flat track bullies.

Posted by   on (November 12, 2012, 23:39 GMT)

Good point, sameer1111111, FC average for Rains & Yuvi does not even justify one chance, let alone several, when RohitS, & Rahane with 60+ FC averages and Tiwary with having done well, all without a debut in test cricket! Sandeep Patil is absolutely pedestrian in his decisions.

Posted by Chris_P on (November 12, 2012, 22:58 GMT)

Suresh, for a talented cricketer, you are underachieving. The time is ready to walk the talk not just talk it. Perhaps the influence of T20 has something to do with it, but you are not delivering on your obvious talents, & for true cricket followers, that is frustrating. Apply yourself & bounce back with runs, not words.

Posted by Erebus26 on (November 12, 2012, 22:55 GMT)

I like Raina - he's a talented lad but I think he needs a spell of domestic cricket abroad. He looked all at sea against good short pitched bowling when he toured England, and I don't think he's great against swing too. At the moment I think he lacks the temperament required for the longer game - too many times he seems to be in limited overs mode when he plays test cricket.

Posted by afridi102 on (November 12, 2012, 22:19 GMT)

Good luck for a comeback in the test team Suresh!

But, just on a side note "I have scored in the west indies and in England' and "I wouldn't have scored in the West Indies and also in England"... Your average is 13 in England, you have 105 runs in 8 innings with a 78. So 27 runs in the other 7 innings.

If that is "scored in England", then please can someone tell me, or even Suresh what one has to do to not score? Where ou thinking you were going to make absolutely no runs in England and comeback with zero runs from 4 tests?

Posted by Unmesh_cric on (November 12, 2012, 22:17 GMT)

Raina is a fantastic ODI and T20 player, but I am afraid he is NOT built for Test cricket. A lot of other batsmen deserve a chance in Tests ahead of him. He averages only 42 in first class cricket. While guys like Rahane, Tiwari and Rohit Sharma average close to 60 in first class cricket. If he wants to be a contender for the Test spot, he should prove his potential in the current Ranji Trophy season. So far, he hasn't done much. I wish him all the best though.

Posted by   on (November 12, 2012, 21:47 GMT)

Got out for a duck in the latest Ranji match..Poor guy!

Posted by IndCricFan2013 on (November 12, 2012, 21:32 GMT)

Guys leave him alone, including the reporters. He is a great team player. It is good that he was not selected, rather than being benched. He needs to score like anyone else in domestic to be picked. Or Yuvi and Rahane both needs to fail all their chances before he gets another chance. I think, if Yuvi does not perform in 2 tests he has gone and Rahane will be picked in the 11 for 3rd and 4th, since he was named as a middle order backup ahead of Raina. Also Tiwary should be given chances. So, mot likely Raina and Tiwary will be given chances for the next series, if Both Yuvi and Rahane fail. Hope fully they do not bring back Raina for 3rd and 4th test.

Posted by marlboro19 on (November 12, 2012, 21:11 GMT)

It could be seen as Raina talikng himself up (a la mode Cowan ) , but his words indicate a sturdy determination to play tests. He could just sit and enjoy money from ODIs and T20's , bu the fact that he is willing to toil for a place in the test squad says much about this man's priorities. He has issues and it won't be overnight that he sorts them out , but i am willing to back him and in two or three years he might become a complete batsman. He is going to be Hayden of Indian cricket, give some respect to the guy whose ambitions are clearly above money.

Posted by Mohsin5000 on (November 12, 2012, 20:45 GMT)

I think he told a lot of lies in that interview. How he can deserve a test spot while he is so vulnerable in short pitch bowling or proper spin bowling ? He is very lucky to hold a place in ODI Team or T20 Team. If he isn't Dhoni's friend, he never got chance in any format in Indian Cricket Team. How can he justify himself a Test Cricketer. Pls Selector don't select Raina, select anyone buy Raina.

Posted by Alexk400 on (November 12, 2012, 20:15 GMT)

Raina all you need to do is make a 300 show stamina for TEST. In ranji flat pitches everyone makes 100s. EVen parthiv patel makes 100. So if you want to distinguish from nobodies , you have to make 300 or 400.

Posted by sameer111111 on (November 12, 2012, 19:39 GMT)

Raina is indeed a very good limited overs player, but don't think he has what it requires to succeed in test cricketer. He is hard working and would probably have a decent test career if given a chance, but would invariably fail every time India travel overseas. Maybe he should concentrate on his domestic performance. With a FC average of 42, wonder how he is even in contention for a test spot.

Posted by AndyZaltzmannsHair on (November 12, 2012, 19:35 GMT)

Very interesting response to last question. Very intriguing. Raina looks after number 1.

Posted by satanswish on (November 12, 2012, 19:06 GMT)

Raina seems to be on vague statements giving spree at the moment. Everyone knows he had his chances in Test cricket courtesy of Dhoni. Raina has miserably failed in longer format of the game and he is better off with limited overs cricket.

FeedbackTop
Amol KarhadkarClose

What is Rohit Sharma's role?

Should India have practised slip catching in the nets? Who will play at the G?

'I'd like to have faced the West Indies quicks'

Northamptonshire's David Willey picks his ideal partner for a jungle expedition, and talks about his famous dad

Benn shows up in body and spirit

Tony Cozier: The spinner has brought in a sense of discipline into his bowling and behaviour on the field since his Test comeback

The return of Bob Simpson

Rewind: When the 41-year-old former captain came out of retirement to lead Australia against India

Bowling to blame for India's poor overseas record

Kartikeya Date: The inability to build pressure by denying runs, even on helpful pitches, is India's biggest problem

What ails Rohit and Watson?

Both batsmen seemingly have buckets of talent at their disposal and the backing of their captains, but soft dismissals relentlessly follow both around the Test arena

The perfect Test

After the tragedy of Phillip Hughes' death, this match showed that cricket and life will continue to go on. This time Test cricket dug in and got through to tea.

Hazlewood completes quartet of promise

Josh Hazlewood has been on Australian cricket's radar since he was a teenager. The player that made a Test debut at the Gabba was a much-improved version of the tearaway from 2010

Australia in good hands under proactive Smith

The new stand-in captain has the makings of a long-term leader, given his ability to stay ahead of the game

Karn struggles to stay afloat

The failed gamble of handing Karn Sharma a Test debut despite him having a moderate first-class record means India have to rethink who their spinner will be