Allan Lamb

Lambie and I

'Twas a bond that brooked neither stats nor sense

Lawrence Booth

December 16, 2010

Allan Lamb celebrates his century, West Indies v England, 1st Test, Jamaica, 2nd day, February 25, 1990
Allan Lamb: hopeless starter, nerveless finisher © Getty Images
Article : Northamptonshire's cult heroes
Players/Officials: Allan Lamb
Teams: England

If love is blind, then my relationship with Allan Lamb was more of a myopic obsession. He never knew about it, of course, and the one time I met him I had to fight hard not to blub pathetically and admit all. I was 23 by then, but the two of us had already been through a lot together.

It had not always been easy. Lamb finished with a Test average of 36.09, which pained me. His highest Test score was 142, which was frankly careless. And, well, he wasn't exactly English, was he? "Limmie", my mates would snigger in a mock-South African accent, as if that settled the argument. But none of this mattered. Lambie and I had a bond that transcended trivialities like statistics and passports.

Everyone remembers the first Test series that captivated them. For me it was England's trip to the West Indies in 1989-90, which I followed on the radio in my bedroom, insulated and isolated from the world. There was something magical about that faint crackle, and when Lambie made 132 in England's shock win in the first Test at Sabina Park, I was under his spell. He later made 119 in Barbados, and I can still remember the words of the BBC commentator Trevor Bailey as another bottom-handed cover-drive - feet in concrete - was slain to the boundary: "Allan Lamb is a fine player!" The emphasis was on "is" and "fine", as if Bailey was simply reminding us of one of life's truisms. At least, that's how this impressionable 14-year-old heard it.

With Lamb came his adopted county, Northamptonshire - another deeply unfashionable choice. (Graham Gooch and Essex would have been so much simpler.) In 1995, with the help of Anil Kumble, he almost captained us to our first-ever championship. He was brassy, aggressive, irritating - and I loved him for it. Against Nottinghamshire we conceded over 500 in the first innings, but Lambie insisted on building a lead rather than declaring behind. He was one of four centurions as Northants rattled up 780 and won by an innings and plenty. I swelled with pride as journalists began to refer to us as "the people's choice" (never mind that the people largely ignored county cricket), and nearly wept with frustration when our 12 wins out of 17 were not enough to topple either Warwickshire or Middlesex. We have never come so close since.

By this stage Lambie was long gone as an England cricketer. He had retired from the international game in 1992, which meant that I only enjoyed at first-hand the final two and a half years of his imperfect career. Only research could complete the picture. I lapped up tales of his four centuries in the summer of 1984 - three of them against the all-conquering West Indians (he would make six Test hundreds against them in all, my favourite Lambie stat). I rejoiced in the time he hit 18 off Bruce Reid's final over to beat the Aussies in a one-dayer in Sydney. I took vicarious pride in the fact that he had scored a century in only his third Test, against India at The Oval. And I could usually recite his batting average to within two decimal places. Didn't he need a personal statistician?

His career post-1990 was, to be honest, a bit of a struggle. But we pulled through. I remember spending a summer holiday in 1990 on a French campsite, and waiting anxiously as my brother did the newspaper-and-croissants run. Back he came with the news: Lambie had scored 109 in the second Test against India at Old Trafford! Surely this would silence the carpers, especially after his 139 in the first Test at Lord's (but why did Gooch have to steal the show with that 333?). It was pure solipsism: Lambie existed only to thrill or disappoint me, and I regarded it as a personal triumph when his 142 saved the Wellington Test early in 1992. A few months later I was there at Lord's when Lambie faced what turned out to be his final ball in Test cricket: a grubber from Mushtaq Ahmed that struck him plumb in front. He made 12.

There were three more seasons with Northants, and then, just like that, he was gone. There were wranglings over some controversial content in his autobiography - retirement was the only option. But did it have to be so clean and brutal? There was no farewell. Nothing. Those were hard days.

It's virtually impossible to put my finger on why I worshipped Lambie so zealously. He was a hopeless starter, and failed far too often for someone who played 79 Tests. He made 14 Test hundreds but only 18 fifties. He could look appalling against spin and tended to push at the ball with those stiff South African wrists. But he had this swagger. He loved to hook and cut, and he was a short man, which is why he scored runs against West Indies. And he had this nerveless, tireless way about him.

When I got the chance to meet him, I was doing my finals at university. My girlfriend at the time and her family had been invited to a day of golf and socialising and - was I dreaming? - the Lambs would be there too. We shook hands, and chatted about Northamptonshire and scoring hundreds at Lord's as Lambie organised the barbecue. The rest of the day was subsumed in booze, and I wondered whether I should have preserved Lambie in the realm of idolatry, rather than risked the warts-and-all reality. Did I regret meeting him? A bit. He would never quite be the same again. But we would always have Sabina.

Lawrence Booth writes on cricket for the Daily Mail. His fourth book, What Are The Butchers For? And Other Splendid Cricket Quotations, is published in October 2009 by A&C Black. This article was first published in the July 2005 issue of Wisden Asia Cricket

RSS Feeds: Lawrence Booth

Posted by harshthakor on (December 18, 2010, 4:51 GMT)

Allan Lamb was one of the best players of fast bowling as he displayed when scoring 3 centuries against the graet West Indies Pcae attack in 1984 in ahome series.Also superb in the Carribean in 1990.His batting displayed great craft and innovation,which made him one of the all-time great one-day batsman.One of the best batsman in a run chase in the finishing stages like he showed agaisnt the West Indies in the 1987 Reliance Cup when England required 34 of the last 3 overs ,and lamb scored 69 not out.In the 1986-87 triangular one day tournament in Australia he was the most prolic scorer and scored a sensational 18 runs in the last over of a game against t Australia ,pulling of a sensational victory .

Sadly never played spin as well as pace or the swinging ball.

Posted by   on (December 17, 2010, 3:14 GMT)

Wow, that sounds like a mirror of my own childhood, getting into cricket with that West Indies tour and then doing the paper run from campsites in France. Only difference is my hero was Robin Smith!

Posted by Biggus on (December 16, 2010, 20:31 GMT)

A very handy player who made we Aussies pay on more than one occasion, but an over by Bruce Reid does spring to mind in 86/87 from memory.

Posted by Arun14 on (December 16, 2010, 20:00 GMT)

continued...

But I think he tarnished his own image a little by accusing the Pak bowlers of tampering and later losing a court battle with Imran. Maybe disblief at the manner in which Akram snared his wicket and won the Final for Pak?? Apart from that, I thought his resume looks solid.

Posted by Arun14 on (December 16, 2010, 19:57 GMT)

I first saw Allan Lamb when he toured India with England back in 84-85. He was always kidding around, having a nice time with the spectators and not making too many runs. In the third test which was destined to be a draw, he opened the bowling and imitated various popular bowling actions of the time. Incidentally, that side also had a couple of other eccentrics - Phil Edmonds and Pat Pocock who, I swear, smoked a drag or two during a drinks break (they didn't cut to ads back in those days).

So I was surprised when he went to the Carribbean and scored all those 100s and along with countryman Robin Smith, picked up a reputation as a good player of fast bowling. I was as surprised when I learned that he was instrumental in bringing Kumble over to Northamptonshire and made a run at the County Championship. The goofball had some mettle and a keen cricketing brain to boot. He was quite handy in the one-day game too. Pakistan sealed the 92 World Cup only when Akram got rid of Lamb.

Posted by cricPassion2009 on (December 16, 2010, 15:41 GMT)

The 'hopeless starter, nerveless finisher' is a great way to describe this entertaining cricketer. Allan Lamb had a stamp of class which did not translate into many more runs, but he glittered in a competitive, classy England lineup that boasted of Gooch, Gower, Gatting, Botham. A very nice one-day specialist too, one capable of clean-hitting 70 odd runs out of 30 odd balls. Thanks for a cool article.

Posted by   on (December 16, 2010, 13:59 GMT)

Lamb had a good record against the West Indies at a time when few batsmen could live with their fast bowlers. He scored three centuries in the 1984 'blackwash'. By 1990 he was beginning to fade. His overall average was brought down by a terrible record against Pakistan, averaging fewer than 13 from eight matches!

Posted by Gollo81 on (December 16, 2010, 11:49 GMT)

I deeply heart Lambie too, thanks for this

Posted by MM100 on (December 16, 2010, 10:59 GMT)

I've always thought that one of the reasons he did so well against the all-conquering Windies sides was that, unlike most English batsmen of the time, he always set out to attack. Against Marshall and co., you were bound to get a great ball sooner or later, so you might as well get on with it. Even strokeplayers like Gower and Botham went into Ramprakash mode against them, batting three or fours hours for 30.

FeedbackTop
Lawrence BoothClose
Lawrence Booth Lawrence Booth lives in London and writes on cricket for the Daily Mail. He spent seven years writing his weekly cricket email, The Spin, for the Guardian, and this summer will publish his fourth book, a collection of cricket quotations called What Are the Butchers For? He has grown used to holding out little hope for the England team and has never quite been able to shake off a fatal attraction to Northamptonshire.

Walking up the down escalator

2014 in review: Player strikes, defeats against fellow minnows, and mountains of debt for the board marked another grim year for Zimbabwe

The first Boxing Day classic

Ashley Mallett: Nearly 150 years ago, the MCG saw the start of a much-loved tradition, with a match starring Aboriginal players

Hangovers and headaches

2014 in review: Embarrassing defeats, a beleaguered captain, a bitter former star, alienating administrators - England's year was gloomy. By George Dobell

Ten years later

Gallery: Efforts by Surrey have helped transform a coastal village in Sri Lanka devastated by the December 26 tsunami

Going for glory and falling just short

Anantha Narayanan: An anecdotal account of close finishes similar to the recent Adelaide Test

Watson's merry-go-round decade

In January 2005, Shane Watson made his Test debut. What does he have to show for a decade in the game?

Power to Smithy, trouble for Dhoni

Australia's new captain admirably turned things around for his side in Brisbane, leading in more departments than one

Why punish the West Indies players when the administration is to blame?

As ever, the West Indies board has taken the short-term view and removed supposedly troublesome players instead of recognising its own incompetence

Gilchrist's conscientious moment

In the semi-final against Sri Lanka in 2003, Adam Gilchrist walked back to the pavilion despite being given not out by the on-field umpire

Australia's 50-50 lifelines

Three Australia players made half-centuries on day one at the MCG; for each of them, the innings' meant different things