Tauseef Ahmed August 21, 2011

'The ability to spin is more important than line and length'

The former Pakistan offspinner recalls his fairytale debut, competing with Qadir and Qasim, getting tips from Bedi, Miandad's last-ball six, and more

How I got picked for my first Test sounds a little like a Cinderella story. I was playing club cricket in Karachi when the Pakistan team for the first Test against the visiting Australians was announced. One Mr Javed Sadiq, who had recently moved to our locality, saw me bowl in the club games. He knew Mushtaq Mohammad, the manager of the Pakistan team, and asked him to have a look at me. Mushtaq and the captain, Javed Miandad, were so impressed that the day before the start of the Test they included me in the playing XI instead of Ilyas Khan.

The most essential quality for a spinner is the ability to spin. Line and length come second.

After my first series, I got a job with United Bank's sports department. I played for their cricket team for 16 years. Next I played for Customs for one season. Then, from 1998 to 2001, I was a match referee in first-class cricket in Pakistan.

I was told by some Indian players that I look like Lionel Richie, who I wasn't familiar with. But when they showed me his photo, I couldn't agree more.

I didn't even know the names of most of the Aussie players in my first Test.

I shifted to Sharjah in 2001, to coach in a private academy. I had a feeling that having staged so many ODIs, Sharjah would provide a good environment for coaching. But it was mainly a money-making exercise. We were asked to give extra attention to pupils who paid more.

In my debut Test series in 1980, I took 12 wickets in Pakistan's win, but I was not considered for the national team for the next two Test series.

After two good first-class seasons I was recalled for the home series against Sri Lanka in 1981-82. I took 11 wickets at 24 but was again ignored for the next five Test series. But I appeared in most of Pakistan's Tests from 1984 to 1990.

I didn't have a proper cricket kit for my first Test. The patron of my club got the uniform stitched overnight, and I had to borrow a pair of shoes from a friend.

Normally offspinners prefer to bowl at left-handers, but the batsman I found the most difficult to bowl to was a left-hander - Allan Border. He had superb technique and a watertight defence.

I got a recall in 1993, the evening before the Karachi Test against Zimbabwe. But I was not in the frame of mind to play international cricket. I had played my previous Test in 1990, and I had resigned myself to the fact that my international career was over. No wonder I played so poorly in my final international.

"My best attribute was that I was a great trier. Even if I didn't get a wicket the whole day, I would keep bowling"

My biggest regret was that I fell just seven short of 100 Test wickets.

Had the DRS been around in our time, I would definitely have had more wickets. Those days batsmen just extended their front leg forward to spinners with no fear of being given lbw.

I returned to Pakistan in 2008, after the PCB gave me a job as the regional head coach of the Hyderabad region. My job involves training of grassroots talent of Under-16s to senior teams participating in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. Quite a few players from the Hyderabad region have made their mark. Currently three are in the National Cricket Academy. One of them, Sharjeel, has played for Pakistan A, and was also a member of the Pakistan team in the 2010 Asian Games.

In the first Test of the 1989-90 series in Australia, I had two unbeaten knocks of 9 and 14, for which I batted around two hours each. Most of our top batsmen had failed. I felt proud when our captain, Imran Khan, told the batsmen, "Learn from Tauseef how to stay at the wicket".

The doosra is an addition to the offspinner's armoury. But I think it is often delivered with a suspect action. Saqlain Mushtaq's doosra was clean; it was delivered with the same action.

I played almost all my Test cricket under Imran and Miandad. Both were attacking captains who rarely played for a draw.

Abdul Qadir, Iqbal Qasim and I fought for one or two spin slots in the Pakistan side, but there was never any jealousy between us.

I think we were unlucky in our 1987 World Cup semi-final against Australia. Ramiz Raja, our top run-getter in the tournament, got run out very early, and Imran was wrongly given out caught-behind.

I was at the other end when Miandad hit that famous six off the last ball of the Austral-Asia Cup final in Sharjah in 1986. Even today I am often asked about it. Coming in at No. 11 with five needed, I had to face the second-last ball of the match. Before coming in to bat I had decided to run a single no matter where the ball goes. I did that, though I barely survived being run out.

My best attribute was that I was a great trier. Even if I didn't get a wicket the whole day, I would keep bowling.

My favourite batsman was Majid Khan. He played with unbelievable ease, executing his shots with time to spare. His hook shot was especially a sight to cherish.

As an offspinner, Lance Gibbs was an iconic figure to me. He had such a simple yet graceful action, and his fingers weaved magic.

My most memorable bowling performance came in the Bangalore Test of 1986-87, when my 9 for 139 helped Pakistan win the series. Maninder Singh took seven wickets on the first day, so everyone expected me and Qasim, the two Pakistan spinners, to also perform well. We met Bishan Bedi at a function that evening, and he told us, "If you try to spin the ball a lot, it will turn so much that it will miss the bat and the stumps. Just concentrate on line and length." We followed his advice and were successful. After the match there was a lot of hue and cry in the Indian media, condemning Bedi for revealing the "secret" to the opponents. Bedi said, "It was just a five-minute meeting with the two Pakistani spinners. I have been telling the same to the Indian spinners over the last so many years."

My most memorable batting performance was when I partnered Imran for 90 minutes to draw the 1986 Karachi Test and the series against West Indies. I faced Malcolm Marshall and Courtney Walsh in full fury during the innings.

My offbreak was the most lethal weapon in my armoury. It would often "bite" the surface and shoot off it, giving me a lot of catches at short leg and silly point.

Twenty20 is good entertainment, but it is harming techniques. For spinners the main priority is to avoid being hit, so they bowl a flat trajectory. They are afraid to invite batsman to drive.

Ijaz Chaudhry writes on cricket and other sports. For more about him and samples of his published work, visit www.sportscorrespondent.info

• delpihero on August 23, 2011, 12:14 GMT

Nice article, gr8 questions Ijaz Bhi

• on August 22, 2011, 19:22 GMT

Swann bowls a straighter one or the one that does not spin. But yes he is in a genuine Off spinner mold. Tauseef was a great trier and often tossed up the ball even if his previous delivery was hit for six. I don't see any one doing that nowdays.

• greatgaryfan on August 22, 2011, 2:18 GMT

I saw Tauseef bowl in the famous B'lore test. He was awesome. Never seen a offspinner bowl better on a turning track. Even in the late 80's there were not too many batsmen whocould play on a turning track. Gavaskar's innings was very special and he was able to do it because he wa the last of th ebreed of players to have played on uncovered pitches, wet wickets and turning tracks.

I wonder how many of the modern greats have ever played on a wet wicket or a turning track like what Prasanna created for the B'lore test.

• Aloke_Mondkar on August 22, 2011, 1:36 GMT

Good interview but I find it ironic when he says spin is more important than line and length yet his most famous performance in Madras was all due to line and length and not spin. IMHO, without line and length, any bowler - fast or spin cannot be a consistent success.

• on August 22, 2011, 1:03 GMT

@Tom. If you don't know how to turn the Ball, no matter how great your line and length is, you will stay like an ordinary bowler forever. And If you have the ability to turn the ball, then All you need is to make your line and length sharp enough to trouble the batsmen. All great Spinners have/had great ability to turn the ball sharply.

• cricPassion2009 on August 21, 2011, 21:51 GMT

Good old 80s. Golden era for cricket. 4 greatest all-rounders, great spinners, great batsmen, great bowlers, great triers - all of that was part of cricket's folklore.

From that era we had Tauseef. Good to read about the players of those times. And nice anecdote about Ijaz Ahmed, another mini-wall of that time.

• getsetgopk on August 21, 2011, 20:03 GMT

there is a big difference between a slider/straighter one and a doosra. Doosra actually spins the other way like a leg break and more importantly bounces more than a regular off spin or slider. saqlain the inventer of doosra didn't spun the doosra alot but he was more devastating with that extra bounce thats kind of a top spin with a off break action. Swan doesn't have a doosra and i dont think he can bowl a doosra even if he wanted to because if you look at bowlers who bowled doosra like saqlain, murali and ajmal their head/body remains relatively straight/vertical while delivering the ball whereas swann has more like a bent over/roundish delivery action.

• on August 21, 2011, 19:18 GMT

@ Lmaotsetung and Syed Hassaan : Just as AndyZaltzmannsHair said, his point here is how Swann uses the straighter one (which would fall under Doosa, not being as effective is another matter), which goes straight on, very sparingly and pretty much sticks to the classical offspinner stuff. Thought that was obvious.

• on August 21, 2011, 17:51 GMT

How can that be true? Bowl 2 feet outside off and you'll get some stick and few wickets. Same outside leg (except maybe a Warne special to Gatting). long hops will go for runs as will full tosses.

Maybe he means the ability to give it a big tweak is more difficult to acquire; line and length can be learnt through practice?

• Umair_Arif on August 21, 2011, 17:24 GMT

I MUST SAY MR.DEEPAK DEEPU I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU MY COUNTRY PAKISTANI SELECTION WAS ALWAYS LIKING OF SUCH A BLENDER.BUT MUST SAY NOW INDIA IS ALSO DOING SO AND SADDEST PART IS (INDIA) IS NOW NOT GOING TO GET GREATEST PLAYER OF GENERATION LIKE RAHUL DRAVID.ALL BECAUSE OF T20 AND IN COURSE OF MAKING MONEY

• delpihero on August 23, 2011, 12:14 GMT

Nice article, gr8 questions Ijaz Bhi

• on August 22, 2011, 19:22 GMT

• greatgaryfan on August 22, 2011, 2:18 GMT

• Aloke_Mondkar on August 22, 2011, 1:36 GMT

• on August 22, 2011, 1:03 GMT

• cricPassion2009 on August 21, 2011, 21:51 GMT

• getsetgopk on August 21, 2011, 20:03 GMT

• on August 21, 2011, 19:18 GMT

• on August 21, 2011, 17:51 GMT

• Umair_Arif on August 21, 2011, 17:24 GMT

• AndyZaltzmannsHair on August 21, 2011, 16:00 GMT

The "doosra" means "other one". So for Swann his "other one" is the slider, which he bowls sparingly.

• on August 21, 2011, 15:39 GMT

LOL @ On a long flight to the West Indies in 1988, a young Ijaz Ahmed kept refusing meals every time the air-hostess came around with the menu. I asked him, "Ijaz, you don't feel hungry?" He replied, "The food is very expensive." We all laughed and told him the food was free.

• on August 21, 2011, 15:06 GMT

"Among current offspinners, I like Graeme Swann the most. He is from the classic mould: he flights, invites the batsman to drive, and uses the doosra sparingly."

Swann has stated in numerous interviews that he doesn't bowl the doosra. Apart from that, really interesting interview.

• CricketChat on August 21, 2011, 14:42 GMT

Yes, I remember Tauseef as a real work horse who did his job quietly without any fanfare. He used to contain a lot and had the knack of opening up an inning by picking crucial wkts. Good to know he is involved with helping the next generation of spinners.

• on August 21, 2011, 14:35 GMT

Another great article about forgotten legend. Thanks to Ijaz and keep writing about our cricketers.

• on August 21, 2011, 14:06 GMT

well hats off to tauseef,he look slike lionel ritchie,wats happening to our spin wizards frpom IND and PAK,where is mushi,saqqi,anil,bedi,danish,wats wrong with harbhajan,wats wrong to PAK team,an outstanding team though being an INDIAN i always loved their never die atitude,why selctors are killing PAK team,is it politics,the lust of power, well for stupid BCCI its money minting our players are show dancers tat dance on their flute,the natural talent in cities where is it,where can we find dravids,virus,wasim,s ,waqar,s of future,look AUS know the threat form old enemy/IND and took a bold step to rest the politican s who defamed them and helped them slide from throne,,PAK and IND shuld take it a signal for the matters to come,still a pity as child I was too young to saw,IQBAL QASIM and TAUSEEF to bowl,but i only heard of tough time they gave to INDIA at sharjah and banglore teat,may be they got it from AUS in 87 WC semi,,as tauseef quotes here..

• on August 21, 2011, 12:28 GMT

Good to know about tausef, he was like a back office worker and our sports media didn t cover him much except in 1 or 2 occasions. i liked him during his playing days, he was a fighting cricketer. thanks cricinfo.

• nadu_1975 on August 21, 2011, 10:54 GMT

What to say, Tauseef is one of the best off-spins i have ever saw. Bangalore test in 1986 reminds of many many things. we want more of such Tauseefs in our Indian team. Maan Bhajji should take some time off and learn some tricks from him. It is not a shame. Just taking 400 wkts does not make u a superchamp. Had a bowler like him been here(Swann is the closest) + UDRS+Review he will easily take 600+ wickts at the end of his career. Indian selectors make Bhajji seek Tauseefs advice,he is a neighbour of ours.

• smalishah84 on August 21, 2011, 10:22 GMT

makes for a great read. A forgotten cricketer from Pakistan's glory days in cricket

• on August 21, 2011, 10:05 GMT

Agreed with Lmaotsetung ... when does Swann bowl a doosra?

• vatsap on August 21, 2011, 8:29 GMT

Brilliant and so down to earth

• on August 21, 2011, 7:11 GMT

He was real miser. The most economical of spinners of his era. Even against attacking West Indian Batsmen of his time such as Vivian Richards or Desmond Haynes He woud choke the Flow of runs of the opponent batsmen. Very Few batsmen used their feet against him and few got away attacking him. He rarley dleivered loose bal. His strength was that he was a disciplined spinner

• mensan on August 21, 2011, 6:30 GMT

He bowled 67 overs tirelessly on a flat wicket in Madras in 1986-87 series in a single innings which was a big achievement. He was a hardworking bowler. He used to bowl very economically in one-dayers.

• Mhazeeb on August 21, 2011, 5:46 GMT

One of the Very best spiner in the world and the best thing about him that he knows his role in a match he was so orthodox that in first class matches he was unplayable as he always hits the chest of a batsman as hiw bowl bites and turn so sharply he have a great sholder as he throws flat to keepars hand in a flash. such a superab person to be around for youngster as he loves to guide and shows the path to follow....as now players from interior sindhs are coming in senerio for Pakistan. Like Azeem Ghumman, Sharjeel khan, Lal Kumar and Aqeel Anjum. i wish him that he will get reward from coaching which he didnt got in Past.

Haseeb Ahsen

• Stone-Aamir on August 21, 2011, 5:42 GMT

Good to see Tauseef in the media after sometime, he was a typical quiet fighter in the side always willing to participate with his bowling, batting, even fielding. Imran preffered right arm leg breaks and after his era Tauseef became a victim of politics within Pakistan cricket. Its a shame that he was not allowed to get 100 wickets.

• newnomi on August 21, 2011, 5:34 GMT

Appreciate the insight on one of Pakistan's tireless servants. Tauseef played the game as it should be played, with humility, and persistence. Nice to know that he is involved with the youth setup. I'm sure good will come of this.

• tappee74 on August 21, 2011, 5:24 GMT

What a beautiful article.Tauseff has said quite a bit.Knowledge and experience of this nature enhance the mind of young and aspiring players.I personally think the greatest spinner ever is Shane Warne,even at this moment Shane will make a significant difference to the Australian team.I am impressed with your batting against Walsh and Marshall.The greatest Pakistani batsman in my opinion is Javed.

• voyager on August 21, 2011, 4:45 GMT

Thanks Tauseef for your great contribution with sincerity and honesty. I was there in the stands on your first day of test cricket. Always admired your hard work and selfless attitude.

• Lmaotsetung on August 21, 2011, 4:44 GMT

lol @ Swann using the "doosra" sparingly.

• ShahriarKhan on August 21, 2011, 3:31 GMT

Unlike Lionel Richie, often delivered the unplayable.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• ShahriarKhan on August 21, 2011, 3:31 GMT

Unlike Lionel Richie, often delivered the unplayable.

• Lmaotsetung on August 21, 2011, 4:44 GMT

lol @ Swann using the "doosra" sparingly.

• voyager on August 21, 2011, 4:45 GMT