Snappy Q&As with the players

Eoin Morgan

'I'm a late-night person'

England's Irish import doesn't mind being ragged by Swanny, and wishes hotel rooms had iPads

Interview by Nagraj Gollapudi

April 30, 2012

Eoin Morgan arrives at England's team hotel to replace the injured Kevin Pietersen, Chittagong, March 8, 2011
Eoin Morgan test-drives his "It's only 10am, stay away from me" look © Associated Press
Players/Officials: Eoin Morgan

Tell us something we don't know about you.
When I was 11 I had to umpire a game. I got hit in the head and got knocked out. The ball was hit straight back, hit the bail and knocked my head.

Are you restless or a patient person?
Very patient. I would not survive in India otherwise. India tests your patience.

Which is the most difficult place you have travelled to?
Bangladesh. It is just a completely different culture to anywhere else I have travelled. Things in general take time [to get done].

Who is the best at tweeting among the cricketing fraternity?
I enjoy following Ravi Bopara, and probably Stuart Broad, who tweets all the time.

And who is the funniest in the England dressing room?
Swanny [Graeme Swann]. He always likes to be the centre of attention. A sort of clown of the group, and he is good at it, very funny. He's always at me for being born in Ireland and having played for Ireland. But I don't bother to hit back; it is a waste of time. You never win.

Can you ever shut Kevin Pietersen up? He is always in the headlines for something he has said.
Shut him up? Why? He is funny. Kev is quite a controversial guy. He says what he thinks. And I like him for it. And he is a huge part of the England dressing room.

The best cricketing tip you have got?
The best thing I have heard is to be yourself and to not have regrets about how you play and what you do.

Late nights or early mornings?
Even at half-past eleven I'm struggling to get up. Late nights, definitely.

Can an Irishman ever feel fully integrated into English culture?
Absolutely. I feel more comfortable integrating to that than any other culture in the world. The English are laidback, comfortable socially, and getting along is easy.

What are the Irish better at than the English?
Rugby. I will support Ireland at rugby, but when England and Ireland are playing, I sit on the fence.

Do you have a pet?
I am getting some fish soon. I am a big Finding Nemo fan. I do go out fishing some times, and I've done it in Australia and New Zealand. The biggest I have caught is a tiny fish [the size of his hand]. Fishing is a patient game where you can get frustrated easily. But if you manage to catch a fish, you'll be delighted.

Golf or fishing?
Golf. I am good at driving.

What should hotel rooms have?
I'll tell you what I always bring with me: Xbox, projector, games, big speakers. I think hotels should have iPads and faster wireless.

What is the best ground you have played at?
Lord's. It sums up cricket for me - how the game should be played, how the whole ground perceives cricket, especially when you play a Test match there and it is a full house. It is just unbelievable.

What Olympic sport would you buy a ticket for?
Tickets are hard to come by. I would love to see the 100-metre final. I know it lasts barely nine seconds but I would love to see it. As a kid I would throw the javelin and the discus, but I never timed myself at 100 metres.

What is your favourite cricketing shot?
I love pulling.

What's the funniest ad shoot you have done?
Last year for Diwali, me and Tendo [Ryan ten Doeschate] had to dress up in traditional Indian gowns. We looked so out of place. It was hilarious.

Is there a game from history in which you want to be the player who turned the match on its head?
It would either be [Andrew] Strauss' hundred at Lord's [2009 Ashes] or [Jonathan] Trott's hundred in front of a full house at the MCG [2010-11 Ashes].

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by TheReverseDoosra_K on (May 2, 2012, 6:24 GMT)

For Ireland, its time to move on and stop entertaining chances of Eoin Morgan returning. New Morgans will come after time. Focus on committed players like Stirling, O'Briens etc. Also, Ireland are lookinf to do the same thing. They have roped in Tim Murtagh due to his Irish Ancestry. So the net result is exchange Morgan <--> Murtagh.

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (May 1, 2012, 13:20 GMT)

@yorkshirematt: 'sport is definitely not the same as war'. Orwell would disagree with you, 'minus the shooting', but actually you are on to something, and if sport were like war, getting people of any nationality to be on your side would be less of a problem. Look at the role that mercenaries have played in wars through the centuries, the role of the Gurkhas in the British military history, etc. In this respect, sport isn't like anything at all.

Posted by yorkshirematt on (May 1, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

Also "lord dravid" as much as we like to think it is at times, sport is definitely not the same as war

Posted by yorkshirematt on (May 1, 2012, 0:56 GMT)

We don't all have 50 billion people to choose from Dravid! ;)

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (April 30, 2012, 20:45 GMT)

The sooner this guy is back in the England side the better. he just has that x factor.

Posted by Stouffer on (April 30, 2012, 18:21 GMT)

Speaking of rugby, I guess a 30-9 win over Ireland means that England are worse? I think not. Back to cricket, and I hope Morgan gets his shot selection and pacing of innings back. He will be a great asset in a run chase. Just a lack of confidence and too much thinking I hope. And please can he stand a bit taller and more still. Am sure that crouching like a ninja can't help!

Posted by Lord_Dravid on (April 30, 2012, 17:15 GMT)

england needs to stop importing and stealing players..its ridiculous! just like you cannot represent the army at the highest level unless you're born british, same applies to representing a country in any sport. i wonder where england will be without trott, morgan, petersen etc. hmmm.

Posted by   on (April 30, 2012, 17:11 GMT)

Morgan was right in opting for England. Infact, his this step has enhanced the image of Irish cricket. Everyone appreciates that Irish cricket can throw up players of Morgan's calibre who can find a place in the world's No 1 ranked test team. It also provides motivation to the young cricketers in Ireland as now they have a true role model.

Posted by cabinet96 on (April 30, 2012, 16:56 GMT)

WOW, can't believe there's actually people having a whinge at him about doing a couple of interviews. Maybe journalists just want to talk to him because he's one of very few foreign, and in particular, English players in the IPL. Maybe they want to find out how he's finding it in India.

It's a light hearted interview for God's sake, why are you giving him a hard time about it.

Oh and your mental if you think he got worse when he started playing for England. He'd only got an ODI 100 against Canada until he came to England, now he's their best ODI batsmen, regardless of form. Oh and he moved to England when he was 15, so if he became worse since then he would've been some player when he was a kid.

Posted by Vivek78 on (April 30, 2012, 13:37 GMT)

Come back to form soon Moggie....!!! :) Best Of Luck..!!

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (April 30, 2012, 13:27 GMT)

This is the second interview like this Morgan's given on this site in about two weeks. Since he got dropped by England and hasn't had the chance to play much cricket since, this must be his way of keeping his name in the selectors' minds. I'm not sure going on about how you can't remember whose autograph you've collected and how you like following Ravi Bopara is quite the way to do that. Interesting to see to see how much Graeme Swann and RandyOz have in common: 'He's always at me for being born in Ireland and having played for Ireland.'

Posted by   on (April 30, 2012, 8:07 GMT)

Eion is very good player but just has to learn how to play spin at subcontinnent pitches

Posted by steve19191 on (April 30, 2012, 6:04 GMT)

Keep eating those sour grapes boys while I replay the latest whooping we gave ya. :)

Posted by jonesy2 on (April 30, 2012, 5:10 GMT)

not hard for ireland to be better than england at rugby.

Posted by RandyOZ on (April 30, 2012, 3:31 GMT)

The Irishman has lost all respect in World Cricket. Not only did he abandon his country, but his game got worse. I guess the English tradition of being world easy-beats rubbed off on him!

FeedbackTop
Nagraj GollapudiClose

Catch dodgy actions early

Ian Chappell: Kids mimic the cricket heroes of the day, so the problem of throwing must be tackled below the first-class level

Reorganising West Indies' first-class structure is only half the battle won

Tony Cozier: Pitches, umpiring, and practice facilities must be simultaneously improved

Trading places

All Out Cricket: In a world where £50m can be staked on a single IPL game, armies of professional cricket traders work the betting markets. But who are these people?

The set-up

The Cricket Monthly: When Tony Greig was outwitted by Ashley Mallett
Download the app: for iPad | for Android tablet

The case against revoking ODI status

Tim Wigmore: By restricting the number of ODI teams, the ICC is depriving Associates of funds and new fans

Champions League T20 still battling for meaning

The thrills are rather low-octane, the skills are a bit lightweight, and the tournament overly India-centric

Busy keepers, and Waqar's bowleds

Also, high scores and low averages, most ducks in international cricket, and the 12-year-old Test player

'My kind of bowling style is gone now'

Former New Zealand seamer Gavin Larsen talks about wobbly seam-up bowling, the 1992 World Cup, and his role in the next tournament

Automaton, man, inspiration

Twenty years on, Shivnarine Chanderpaul continues to be understated, underestimated. And that doesn't bother him. What's not to like?

The umpire's bowling change

Plays of the day from the CLT20 game between Kolkata Knight Riders and Chennai Super Kings