Interviews InterviewsRSS FeedFeeds

Dav Whatmore

'I'm in exactly the right place today'

Pakistan's new coach is optimistic about his side climbing the rankings, and making sure the best XI is picked for every format no matter what

Interview by Umar Farooq

May 10, 2012

Dav Whatmore watches Misbah-ul-Haq bat on the eve of the Asia Cup final, Mirpur, March 21, 2012
Dav Whatmore: "It's the selectors who will decide whether Misbah is selected for any particular format, but I don't think anybody can dispute that he brings incredible leadership qualities to the party" © AFP

You were considered the strongest candidate by the Pakistan board. Did you need much convincing or were you always keen?
I had always privately harboured a strong desire to return to international cricket since my last international appointment with Bangladesh [2007]. I went down the path to some degree with the BCCI on two occasions, and once with the PCB, with no joy.

I spoke to Wasim Akram, and he played a part to put me through. Thankfully, I was successful on this occasion after discovering a mutual desire from both sides.

What attracted you to Pakistan?
It is obviously a high-profile role, being that there are only ten Full Member teams offering the opportunity to coach and manage players over an extended period for 12 months of the year, which is in contrast to the role I was fulfilling at the Kolkata Knight Riders. There is no beginning and ending of the season. It's a continuous process.

I relish the challenge of succeeding in an environment where, perhaps, others have not, and to apply my own particular strengths and style to a very capable set of players.

You were in line for a similar role with Pakistan in 2007, but it didn't work out. How disappointed were you at that time?
Very disappointed. I considered myself the strongest candidate at the time, compared to the other applicants. However, somebody upstairs was definitely looking out for me, as it turned out. That's the way it's in life. You can't always get what you want, and life very often isn't fair.

History shows that that particular period for Pakistan cricket was a fairly troubled one, and in retrospect I am glad that decisions went the way they did. I can honestly say I feel that I am in exactly the right place here today.

Was your resignation from the Knight Riders linked to the Pakistan job?
The short answer is yes, and as I mentioned previously, I believe I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now and I am very happy doing what I am doing. In an ideal world I would have started a little sooner, however. Through no fault of my own, I had to endure two months of uncertainty prior to finally signing on March 1.

You were born in Sri Lanka, played for Australia, and coached mainly in Asia. Is it that you are more comfortable coaching and living in Asia or are there simply more opportunities to coach in this region?
Yes, you are right, I am very comfortable coaching and living in this region. I am, after all, a product of this region. I was educated in Australia and I played my cricket there, but I still feel a very strong connection to the subcontinent.

At one stage there was a possibility that I would be involved with Cricket Australia's Centre of Excellence, but as it turned out, there was a timing problem and I was unable to have an interview due to the lack of a suitable panel. Ravi Shastri, who was the chairman of the BCCI's National Cricket Academy at that time, quickly secured my services, and off I went to Bangalore instead.

How challenging is it to work in a different culture?
Working in the subcontinent provides its own unique set of challenges to any coach who takes a role within the region. There are a lot of people who are quick to offer advice on virtually any topic, whether they have experience or expertise or not. This is okay when it is merely a comment, but when it proves too big a distraction, it can become detrimental to a team's performance. That being said, getting more consistency is high on my list of priorities. All the great teams throughout history have excelled in this area, and I firmly believe that without it a team cannot truly achieve the results it is capable of.

What do Pakistan need to be No. 1?
Generally speaking, teams that rise to the top of the rankings tend to perform consistently over an extended period and tend to win series by bigger margins. More wins and wider margins are obviously crucial when it comes to rankings.

"To play at this level you have to have a high level of technical ability, that is true. However, I think it's widely accepted that the real battle at this level is a mental one. Most of these guys know how to play lots of shots but the real test is when to play them, and more importantly, when not to"

Simply put, we have to win more games more often, and where we have the opportunities to create wider margins, we need to capitalise on them, not fritter them away. That is nothing more than consistency in performance to occupy No. 1 and 2 - that is what I am aiming for.

What is more important when working with Pakistan cricketers - technical aspects or mental ones?
To play at this level you have to have a high level of technical ability, that is true. However, I think it's widely accepted that the real battle at this level is a mental one. Most of these guys know how to play lots of shots, but the real test is when to play them, and more importantly, when not to.

You have to have a good understanding of the game, and being able to think properly and execute properly is very important. Consistency starts with each individual being responsible for their own performance and accepting that they play an integral part in the overall result.

Pakistan are currently in a transition period, with a lot of youngsters being tested in every format. Do you feel they are heading in the right direction?
When the team changes at any point, it's really the selectors who make those decisions. Big debates are currently going on regarding using players suited to each separate format, but I think time will tell which way the selectors finally go.

The bottom line is: you need to pick the best XI, no matter what format you are playing. If that happens to contain the same personnel for each format, so be it. But if there are players that excel in a particular format and not in another, it makes sense to pick the strongest team possible.

I feel Pakistan has a wide range of very talented cricketers, some are suited to play all three formats, some are suited to only one format. We will have to see how things progress.

How will you ensure you get the best out of the team?
Every player understands that to get the results we need consistency. But more importantly that each player has to contribute to the process. Each player has to take responsibility for their own contribution.

There will be days where, despite getting good contributions from many players, we still lose. I believe that if a team gets contributions from the majority of the players, be it with the bat, the ball or in the field, that team tends to come out on top. We cannot guarantee that we going to win every game we play, but at the end of the day my job is to help the players achieve as close to their maximum potential as possible. And if we can do this, we will win far more games than we lose.

Do you think Misbah-ul-Haq fits in every format of the game?
Ultimately it's the selectors who will decide whether Misbah is selected for any particular format, but I don't think anybody can dispute that he brings incredible leadership qualities to the party. The players definitely respond to him in a positive way and that can be seen in recent results.

But, as with any selection, it will be about what he contributes to the team. He certainly wants to play all formats of the game. He is fit enough and working extremely hard, but at the end of the day it's a team game. We need to do what is best for the team and it's up the selectors to pick the combination. It's not only Misbah but about every player.

Do you agree that Pakistan rely mainly on their bowling, and that it's only on rare occasions that their batting achieves a victory?
To be honest, I am not sure I agree with that statement. If you ask me, we have strength and ability in all departments. What we need to ensure is that the players are achieving their potential and playing the very best cricket possible. If we do that, we will be successful.

Yes, the ability to chase scores has not been so good and we obviously can improve in a range of areas, but there is no doubt in my mind that we have an extremely talented batting line-up. We have to ensure that they all make a contribution.

Pakistan coach Dav Whatmore has a chat with his players, Mirpur, March 10, 2012
"Consistency starts with each individual being responsible for their own performance and accepting that they play an integral part in the overall result" © AFP

Criticism in Pakistan can often be without cricket logic. Does that bother you?
I totally agree. I understand there is a huge interest in cricket in Pakistan, and the country is made up of different states [provinces], each of which will have differing views and interpretations about Pakistan cricket and how it should be played, coached or managed.

My philosophy is to control the controllable. I cannot control what people say about the team, the players or me. What I can control is my contribution to each player, the team and the Pakistan nation as a whole. As long as I am doing the very best I can, I sleep well at night and leave the rumour-mongering and whispering to others.

You are not part of the selection panel. Is that good or a bad thing?
Yes, I do not have a vote in selection. However, it's a two-way street and I do give my comments and views to the selectors. I can honestly say I have a great rapport with all the selectors, including the chief selector. They appreciate my input, as they have to know what I am thinking with regard to overall strategy, and I too listen to what they think.

The key is definitely communication, and we try to speak on a regular basis to avoid the gap so that we are all on the same page. Moving forward, as long as we are able to pick the best XI for those conditions or format, we will get positive results.

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent

RSS Feeds: Umar Farooq

Posted by ProdigyA on (May 11, 2012, 15:28 GMT)

I cant believe BCCI turned down this guy (mr. aurkya LOL) for a good-for-nothing fatso Duncan. The only thing he is good at is licking BCCI boots and finding lame excuses along with Dhoni. FIRE HIM plzzz...

Posted by   on (May 11, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

This one of the best interview I have read since long time. The answers given by our coach are precise and absolute true. One answer I like most is about our batting which I qoute " Most of these guys know how to play lots of shots, but the real test is when to play them and more importantly, when not to" Second most important thing he touched is the accountibility of each player by himself.

I request our coach to take action on players who are throwing their wickets at crucial time in a match. They should be deciplined for their unwanted shots which resulted in loosing most of the matches.We are fortunate that we have very good coach,captains and selectors.

Pakistani team needs consistancy in their performance.To achive that emphasis should be on each and every players performance as a batsman,bowler and fielder.Those who are trouble makers should be out of team immediately. No grouping should be tolerated. We wish and pray that we will be No.1 or No.2 shortly.

Posted by getsetgopk on (May 11, 2012, 12:32 GMT)

Those thinking that Afridi was selfish by abandoning the Test captaincy should really think again. If Afridi was captaining Test team in the England series, can you really believe that in his captaincy Pakistan would have pulled off a 3-0? I highly doubt it. In fact it is the other way around, with the kind of cricket he plays he was absolutely spot on in refusing Test captaincy, the proof of which is again seen in the limited over series against England which we lost both of them. Does anyone think we would have lost both ODI and T20's against Eng had Afridi been captaining? Again I doubt it. The fact is, Afridi and Misbah are well and true complete opposite of each other. Misbah can never be Afridi and vice versa.

Posted by   on (May 11, 2012, 9:45 GMT)

I absolutely agree with BowledYa, Afridi was given the job of leading Pakistan's Test XI and he resigned only because he could not cope with test cricket. If he really was dedicated to playing Tests he would have been determined to mould himself to the Test arena.

And I think its about high time we stop calling Afridi a match winner his batting has always remained a fluke but in the recent years his bowling has also started to fall apart. Saeed Ajmal is a true champion even being over shadowed by Afridi he has still emerged at the top and I think he is not getting the accolades that he deserves and people are always praising Shahid Afridi, come on everybody open your eyes.

Posted by getsetgopk on (May 11, 2012, 8:37 GMT)

@BowledYa: Mate, the bottom line is we need honest men in our cricket, Afridi had a quarrel with Waqar on playing or not playing some players, Waqar for all his experience should have used some man management skills to avoid it but they rather went head to head on a non issue basically. It takes two to tango. Both of them have played along side in the team for a long time. Waqar in my opinion should not have taken the coaching job while players were still in the team whom he played with just like Inzi refused to take any coaching job while players of his time were still in the team. Not saying Afridi played to his full potential but still you cant push Afridi's 2nd highest MOM awards after Sachin under the carpet and behave like nothing has happened.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 21:32 GMT)

@BowledYa, u cant say this for a great player. Recently, against Srilanka in UAE, who won the match on his own?

Posted by BowledYa on (May 10, 2012, 20:03 GMT)

@Lillian Thomson. Not sure I agree on Afridi. He took himself out of the test team. The PCB even promoted him to test captain and he resigned in the middle of the tour! His maturity level is highly suspect. I doubt his commitment to cricket and working hard to bring consistency to his performance. Seems like he is more interested in promoting himself than on improving. A character like him makes news but rarely wins matches (this from a Pak fan).

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 19:33 GMT)

Making this team mentally strong should be one of the objectives of coaching staff, our batsmen are not good enough even on sub continent pitches when they are up to a quality attack. This is one of the weakest links along with fielding. Having said this, i believe Pakistan will have to go back to their strength sooner or later and that is fast bowling. I don't see batting lineup doing wonders for them in the future as well but bowling is one area where they should keep a special focus.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

Dav Whatmore Where are the three different team? no major changed it is not good for future..........

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (May 10, 2012, 18:23 GMT)

If Whatmore can make minnow Srilanka world champ in 1996 then why not strong Pakistani team can win a WC or become #1 team under whatmore.

Whatmore is great great coach and he is in right country and position where we have huge cricket talent.

I think if Whatmore makes pakistani cricketers believe in themselves then they can beat any team in the world. Pakistan just won a great Asia cup under whatmore.

Whatmore just keep away from Politics and you will be fine.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 16:31 GMT)

Good luck Mr. Whatmore, hope this turns out to be the best era for Pakistan cricket

Posted by getsetgopk on (May 10, 2012, 14:42 GMT)

Yep my sympathies with Dave, in Pakistan people who know nothing about cricket can sometime make up and present their opinions in a very fierce manner that can leave a very bad taste in mouth at times. I hope he is strengthened and work from a position where such opinions don't come in his way. The decision of Misbah stepping down I believe has something to do with Dave's opinion which is a great thing and I also believe Misbah should step down from ODI's as well. Things do look good, wishing him all the best.

Posted by umairasgharbutt on (May 10, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

make team pakistan mentaly strong !!

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

yup davi u said correct u r the right place IIN SHAA ALLAH as soon pakistan playing international crickrt in pakistan ameen

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

dav whatmore selected the coach for pakistan team right decisin by pcb .

Posted by legsidewide on (May 10, 2012, 10:39 GMT)

@LillianThomson I agree with this assessment - Afridi's game has suffered through leaving the Test arena. Talk of temperament is misdirection; he has the ability to perform strongly in Test matches, and the record too. The loss of momentum has been a problem for him, as I think he has been a very successful Test performer, not a trial & error candidate. There was a time where he was a handy Test opener as well.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 10:10 GMT)

Moshin Khan should be included and asked to work alongside Dev Whatmore. He did an excellent job of motivating the players and building their self-confidence. Furthermore, PCB should also utilize former players (Wasim Akram, Saeed Anwar) and ask them to mentor certain players. It's unfortunate that PCB refuses to seek Akram's assistance, who was one of the greatest bowlers world Cricket ever saw. Good luck.

Posted by LillianThomson on (May 10, 2012, 8:52 GMT)

I hope that Whatmore sees through the idea of specialists in every format. Bob Woolmer turned Shahid Afridi into a very good Test number 7 who could bat, bowl and field. It's fine pairing Ajmal with Rehman in the subcontinent, but in the southern hemisphere these next few years Pakistan need one specialist spinner, three quicks and an all-rounder, and Afridi could be very useful.

Posted by Hamzaad on (May 10, 2012, 7:38 GMT)

Dav, I pray for your and Pakistan's success, but please use your position to have different teams for different formats. Players like Imran Nazir, Ahmed Shehzad must be selected in T20s, Whole world knows the talent of Imran Nazir, and even then he is not selected for T20s :(

Posted by Sehwag_Is_Ordinary on (May 10, 2012, 7:28 GMT)

the start is good i.e. winning Asia Cup. Looking forward

Posted by madjag on (May 10, 2012, 7:23 GMT)

@g.narsimha.... We will never forget Bob Woolmer.. May he Rest In Peace..

Posted by smalishah84 on (May 10, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

good luck Dav. I wish you all the best

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 6:43 GMT)

Mr.Whatmore, please request the selection board to have different captains and team members for test and one-dayer/T20 and let them do not include players that are not fit for the format, I remember Geoffrey Boycott giving an in depth analysis of the Pakistani cricket team around 10 years ago and he mentioned the likes of afridi being no test player and patriotism should not be a factor only talent can help decide where to induct the player as per his playing capacity. Also give training drills for fielding as well. We are hoping that under your supervision Pakistan nicks the next world cup, bring some 92 magic being it in Australia/NZ :) . Rest if the team doesn't do well, you dont have to worry, at the end of the day the playing XI on the field have to perform.

Posted by Meety on (May 10, 2012, 6:40 GMT)

I think he'll be in for the roller coaster ride of his life, the good & the not so good! Good luck, I want a strong pakistan!

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 6:36 GMT)

Whatmore is great coach and Misbah is great captan and pakistan player have great talent INSHAALLAH they will take pakistan team on top LOVE U PAKISTAN Our plus point is always bowling and in batting witout any doubt we have many great names in the history and still we have great talented batsman, the only thing we were missing and we r missing is a GOOD combination in batting line up So thats Y Mr.Dav is here To make strong our batsman mentally and specialy technically

Posted by   on (May 10, 2012, 5:37 GMT)

Best Of Luck Dav Whatmore. We Love you -:)

Posted by rahulcricket007 on (May 10, 2012, 5:13 GMT)

TO BE HONEST IT IS ALWAYS PAKISTAN 'S BOWLING WHICH HAS WON THEM MATCHES NOT BATTING . RECENTLY AGAINST ENGLAND THEY DEFEND A TARGET OF 144 EASILY & WON A MATCH DESPITE BEING BOWLED OUT FOR 99 IN FIRST INNINGS .DEFENDED A TARGET OF 230 IN WC FINAL IN 1992 .

Posted by g.narsimha on (May 10, 2012, 5:02 GMT)

HOPE u wont forget BOB WOOLMER

FeedbackTop
Umar FarooqClose

Still plenty of ifs for Butt

Rob Steen: Salman Butt insists players should refrain from "wrongdoing" but that shouldn't gain him back the trust of those he duped

Outside the Grace Gate

Shot Selection: You think MCC members have it easy when it comes to watching a Test at Lord's? Think again

Drowned out by the hype machine

Sharda Ugra: A lot has gone wrong with the Indian T20 league but as its seventh season begins, everything will be brushed everything aside like nothing is amiss

Notes from a Dutch adventure

Netherlands coach Anton Roux looks back on their incredible wins in the World T20, late-night bonding, and pizza intake

A measure for batting and bowling effectiveness in T20

Kartikeya Date: Strike rates and economy rates do not quite tell the whole story. Here's a new standard

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

Stars greeted by Colombo revelry

Thousands flocked the streets and the airport to get a glimpse of their heroes in what was probably the grandest public occasion since the end of the war eased bomb-blast fears

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation

Fifty for the pantheon

What if you had to narrow all of cricket greatness down to 50 names?