Devon Malcolm November 18, 2012

'They redesigned the stump cam because of me'

Interview by Jack Wilson
If you go by what Devon Malcolm says, his bowling had a hand in it
  shares 3

First cricket match I played in
It was a school game in Jamaica. I played on the same team as my cousin Danville, who was also a fast bowler. We were both bowling together and between us we ended up getting the other team all out. He was a D Malcolm too, so the scorecard looked pretty good with all the wickets taken by D Malcolm! It was certainly one for the family.

First time I hit a batsman
I was a pretty quick bowler even by the time I was 12. One game, I ran in and tried to bowl a yorker, but it came out all wrong and turned into a beamer. It hit the batsman right in the ribs. It was an accident but you had to laugh.

First bouncer
I could bowl my first intentional bouncer - and have decent control over it - when I was 16. It was a nice weapon to have growing up.

First overseas tour
It was for my club side in Derbyshire in 1984, before I made my county debut. We went out to New Zealand, and I remember having an absolute ball. I was only young and it was a real case of learning what being on tour was all about. There were many good nights on that one.

First time I broke a stump
I'll never forget it. I was playing for England against an Australian 2nd XI and the idea of putting a television camera in a stump had just taken off. It was the first game they'd tried it. I ran in and bowled someone pretty early on in the game. I remember the camera shattering everywhere and I've got a picture at home of it in pieces. Those cameras weren't cheap either - they cost about 35 grand at the time. Since then they have redesigned them so it can't happen again - all because of me.

• Moppa on November 19, 2012, 10:32 GMT

Pretty sure Waqar Younis knocked over Dean Jones one day with a similar effect - or at least the stump was shattered, maybe not the camera...

• aaloo69uk on November 19, 2012, 8:08 GMT

Not sure which bit Im more shocked about ... The camera shattering or Devon Malcolm actually hitting a stump?!

• george204 on November 18, 2012, 18:01 GMT

I remember the broken stump cam too! It was the last tour match before the 1st test on the 1990-91 Ashes tour. The batsman was Tom Moody. The footage was pretty spectacular.

• Moppa on November 19, 2012, 10:32 GMT

• aaloo69uk on November 19, 2012, 8:08 GMT

• george204 on November 18, 2012, 18:01 GMT

• No featured comments at the moment.

• george204 on November 18, 2012, 18:01 GMT