Five Firsts Five FirstsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers on their milestones

Imran Nazir

'My brother was my idol'

He had mastered street cricket by the time he was ten, but if he needed reassurance about his game, Imran Nazir turned to his sibling

Interview by Jack Wilson

October 14, 2012

Imran Nazir plays through the leg side, New Zealand v Pakistan, ICC Champions Trophy, 2nd semi-final, Johannesburg, October 3, 2009
Playing in front of cameras? No sweat © AFP
Players/Officials: Imran Nazir
Teams: Pakistan

First cricketing idol
You look up to many players as a youngster, and when I was growing up, a lot of Pakistani players were doing great things in the game. But my idol was always my elder brother Mushtaq. He guided me through the hard times and was always the one I looked up to. He had such a big impact on my development as a young player and would always tell me and reassure me that I had what was needed to play international cricket. He used to say, "Imran, you have the talent to get to the top," and I needed to hear that.

First cricket match I played in
All the kids in Pakistan used to play street cricket - it was a phenomenon while I grew up. The others used to be amazed at what I could do. When I played my first proper match, at ten, I had already hit a lot of balls and was confident that I could go in to bat and express myself.

First overseas experience
I was 17 when I came over to play in the Bradford Cricket League in England. I played for a team called Great Horton, and the chance to play in new conditions helped me massively. The pitches took some getting used to, as all I'd known was Pakistani pitches.

My first Test cap
I still have it and I take great care of it. I worked very hard to get it and I will never forget the moment it was handed to me. I was 18 at the time. I remember going out on to the field, and Wasim Akram was the man who presented it to me. It was a childhood dream come true.

First game in front of the television cameras
It was for Pakistan, and at first I was wary of them. I was nervous before I went out to bat and I had a few butterflies in my stomach. As soon as I faced one ball, all that nervous energy left me and it was just like any other game. I soon forgot they were there.

Posted by StatisticsRocks on (October 16, 2012, 16:46 GMT)

Nice article and he definitely seems to be a very good guy, and also seems genuine. I consider him as Rohit Sharma of PAK coz on paper extremely talented but when given chance to show his talent he fails just like Rohit. In this day and age where there is severe competition for every position, I wonder how long before the axe would fall on him.

Posted by   on (October 16, 2012, 0:49 GMT)

2 Words for him (Not Impressed) there are far better players then him waiting for their turn to show their Talent so he should get a side and let someone better then him take his place who at least have a decent defense

Posted by K.A.K on (October 15, 2012, 23:49 GMT)

Imran needs to work with the batting coach to give consistent results. He can certainly do it.

Posted by zafar_tayyab on (October 15, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

All rounders like Shahid Afridy, Abdul Razzaq, Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Sohail Tanveer, Muhammad Hafiz, Azhar Mahmood, Yasir Arafat, and Specialists like Misbah ul Haq, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan Saeed Ajmal, Umar Akmal, Nasir Jamshed, Ahmad Shahzad, Umar Gul, Abdur Rehman, Asad Shafiq, Raza Hassan Adnan Akmal and some others too, all of them are richly talented and most of them are proven match winners. What Team Pakistan needs is proper management and coaching staff. Physical and Psychological Training of these players with modern facilities and usage of innovative software technologiess under spirited, dynamic, consistent and determined leadership would definitely help in achieving what the chairman PCB declares 2013 vision 'to be number one in all three versions of the game'.

Posted by Rolling_in_The_Deep on (October 15, 2012, 15:09 GMT)

There was this match in Sharjah in 99-2000 season. Imran nazir faced a delivery, he moved on the backfoot, stood on his toes and played an amazing shot filled with timing and ease.. This shot vowed Ian Chappall and he was all praise for Imran Nazir rating him as one of the best backfoot player.. A case of unfulfilled talent,, most of time gives away his wicket in 20s..

Posted by khurrambhai on (October 15, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

Mushtaq Nazir, only 1 first class match and 3 A list. and he is role model for Imran Nazir. thats enough to know why imran nazir is 2nd grade player and why he can not perform at international level .

Posted by CricketMaan on (October 15, 2012, 11:26 GMT)

Can someone tell me what has he done specially ahead of Asad Shafiq to keep him out of the team? I thought Shafiq is a perfect fit to open along with Nasir Jamshed for Pak in T20s, with Hafeez at No.1 (only coz he is the captain)

Posted by xylofon on (October 15, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

Nice background article and he seems like a good guy. Best of luck to him for the rest of his career. However it would´ve been more interesting if he would´ve been challenged with obviously needed questions like what does he think his place in Pakistan national team after his hit or miss stint in the worldcup and what about his overall inconsistency? And how did he choose to battle it and why didnt it work?

Hammad Azam, Babar Azam (real quality) and Haris Sohail should be tried out. Even before Ahmed Shahzad who has had a chance and showed inconsistency but may deserve another chance, sure. And Fawad Alam, Fawad Alam, Fawad Alam. If we want constistency, we have to choose people who are consistently good. PCB just doesnt get it. But then they have their intellectual superweapon Ijaz Butt to guide them so its not a surprise. ; )

Posted by QaisarJaan on (October 15, 2012, 10:15 GMT)

A very special talent wasted

Posted by RyanHarrisGreatCricketer on (October 15, 2012, 6:18 GMT)

ian chappell rates him highly, thats proof of his abundant class

Posted by hitterrr on (October 15, 2012, 5:47 GMT)

we waaannt imaraan naziiiiiirr as an opener for pakistani ...please he can do better than otherrr please give him chance like other player ,,, otherwise pakistan los good telent ...plesae

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (October 15, 2012, 0:51 GMT)

Imran nazir you are a tape ball cricket batsman not hard ball cricket batsman. You play cross the wicket and give away your wicket so easily. Yes you are good hitter and timer of the ball but you are not made for hard ball cricket.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 20:59 GMT)

That's your last interview my man. If after 15 years people still talking about you have potential and you have nothing to back up that claim. It's time you go away for ever.

Posted by guntur_ap_ind on (October 14, 2012, 19:05 GMT)

I tell you what, he is like Sehwag for Pakistan. Both can punish quality bowlers and at times get out for rubbish shots. But surely is a match winner

Imran Nazir although didn't played to his potential he is a terrific batsman

Imran Nazir is the most talented batsman in the current pakistan side. Forget Afridi, he wins you once in 100 matches. I don't blame Afridi, he is a quality bowler, but with the bat he is not consistent.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

All you need is to watch his 131 Vs West Indies 2000 @Barbados - a knock filled with grace and immaculate strokeplay. it was so beautiful to watch - sad to see the unfulfilled promise

Posted by abdullahiqbal on (October 14, 2012, 14:52 GMT)

he is best option in t2o shazad is best replace malik

Posted by waqarme1 on (October 14, 2012, 13:32 GMT)

IMRAN NAZIR IS A GREAT PLAYER TO WATCH BUT I KNOW THAT THE MANAGEMENT IS NOT LOYAL WITH THIS GUY IMRAN NAZIR, THEY ACTUALLY MOVE AGAINST HIM BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE HIM, AND THE MANAGEMENT TELLS HIM THAT IF U DON'T PERFORM IN THE MATCH THEN IT WILL BE CONSIDERD UR LAST MATCH SO THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR THE MAN IMRAN NAZIR, SO I REQUEST FROM THE MANAGEMENT THAT PLEASE PLEASE JUST MAKE HIM A PERMANENT OPENERAS HE CAN DO BETTER NEXT TIME, JUST WATCH OUT AND DON'T PUT STRESS ON HIM.

FROM MUHAMMAD WAQAR A BIG BIG FAN OF IMRAN NAZIRRRRRRRRR

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 13:29 GMT)

V SHORT INTERVIEW I DONT KNOW WHY JOURNALIST WAS IN HURYY

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

People are giving a lot of flak to Imrn Nazir. But there were unrealistic expectations from him. He is a 20-20 specialist- but they inducted him too late and just before the world cup. There was too much pressure on him to perform. He should have joined the side 4 months back. He still didnt do too badly. Out of the 4-5 games for Pakistan he was Man of the Match in one. He was second highest scorer for Pakistan in the World Cup on bad batting wickets with a strike rate over 160. whereas Malcik, Afridi and Kamran AKmal failed miserabley mostly. I would still keep him as a 20-20 specialsit since he is an athletic fielder too .

Posted by Shaghef on (October 14, 2012, 12:33 GMT)

He has not been a good learner, therefore, despite having potential, could not preform with consistency and most of the time remained unreliable.

Posted by Ahsan-cric-freak on (October 14, 2012, 12:32 GMT)

@zulfiqar dear kindly ponder over his track record.. he comes at no 1 in the batting line and hits a false shot and looses his wkt! nothing to blame on his given no of chances, he is a internationaL layerand he's gotta erform when given a go.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 11:47 GMT)

I've got to laugh at people saying that he is talented. Swinging your bat in every direction is not called talent. Just watch him bat against non-minnows and all you'll see is a walking wicket.

Posted by Syed_imran_abbas on (October 14, 2012, 11:41 GMT)

What a waste of talent he is.. to my opinion he didnt do that bad in WC. Ahamad Shahzad is another one like him. I hope he can learn with time. But no doubt he is a great entertainer when he is on.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 11:11 GMT)

The team management should give him the last chance if he perform well select him otherwise say him goodbye.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 10:58 GMT)

Massive talent but his imagination over took his abilities throughout his international career... Considering the potential he is a failure at the international level...

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 10:51 GMT)

Which other batsmen Play well nn T20 WC???. How many opportunities got Hafeez, Malik and Afridi and other players?? If u compare Imran with players he didn't got enough opportunities. He come back in team with big pressure that he will be thrown out i f he not perform.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 10:36 GMT)

I would consider him Yousaf Pathan of Pakistan ...!

Posted by nav1181 on (October 14, 2012, 10:18 GMT)

absolutely useless player, should never play for Pakistan again along with malik and Afridi, they are stopping the youngsters from progressing with their unprofessional attitude and performances not knowing its their time to go, know when your time is over

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 10:18 GMT)

Imran Nazir is regrettably a street cricketer and that is all. He has been given too many opportunities for Pakistan and majority of times he has failed. Imran Nazir unfortunately does not have the temperament or sufficient technical skill to play at the highest level. He can definitely bully average bowling attack like he did against Bangladesh in T20I World Cup 2012 but underperformed against all major cricketing nations. It is time selectors say goodbye to Imran Nazir and similar players like him and discover real talent particularly in batting if PAKISTAN is to achieve the goal set by PCB Chairman to make our TEAM number 1 in the world.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 9:39 GMT)

yeah man u was my favr8 player whn i grew up but sorry to say i have learned much then u in the age of 19 which u still could not learn.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 9:23 GMT)

i like you are my bast palyar

Posted by Baber_Baloch on (October 14, 2012, 9:18 GMT)

Imran Nazir is now just a good player for Leagues..he is not suitable for internatinal Cricket PCB must drop him and look for some one..how many chances give to himbut he is totaly failed in big games.

Posted by ejsiddiqui on (October 14, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

@Baundele Actually 'test cap' has a dual meaning but mostly it is the debut test match.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

Now Pakistan must look towards the future and build solid batsman with sound technique and then assign them roles of hard-hitting or manipulating. Fundamentals and Foundations should be sound to achieve improvisation or we'll keep seeing eye-soring Nazirs and Afridis humiliating Batting and Cricket fields.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 7:50 GMT)

Imran nazir is a talented batsman. He is a good timer of the ball. Pakistani want to see as good batsman.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 7:37 GMT)

For your info, I've played street cricket with him in his early days because he was my neighbor in the city Muridke. He was a good street cricket player though.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

if someone says Imran Nazir didn't get enough opportunities to prove himself is a big fool. His average is 24 in ODIs. I think he is the player who got the most opportunities in Pakistan cricket's history despite failing consistently. I wish he never come back in Pak national team.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

Genuine article... nothing fancy... nothing fake... great player thou... he could have been better if was given longer time to prove himself. He was always dropped and therefore, was unable to grow as a proper batsman. Spent more time playing t20 here and there which never worked in his favor to become a one day and test player. he became more a slogger rather than an improved batsman.

Posted by Baundele on (October 14, 2012, 5:35 GMT)

Does 'test cap' literally mean the cap one gets at his test debut? Nice to read.

Posted by   on (October 14, 2012, 4:41 GMT)

He has got the talent and he should justify it by becoming a consistent performer.

Posted by soorajiyer on (October 14, 2012, 3:48 GMT)

An exciting batsman made more exciting because you never know what he delivers.. I loved his batting style though :)

FeedbackTop

Inzamam had a lot of time to play his shots

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss Inzy's technique

'If I'd stayed captain, Bangladesh would have done better'

Habibul Bashar talks about the team's early days, landmark wins, and the current squad

Big-hearted, broad-shouldered Davo

Alan Davidson was a fine allrounder, who has spent his life serving Australian sport in various capacities. By Ashley Mallett

Dubai-Dhabi-Doo

Rob Steen: Who knew the Middle East would one day become the centre of a cricket-lover's universe?

A song called Younis

Ahmer Naqvi: For a country torn by internal strife, he offers hope with his magnanimity, humility and cheerful disposition

Pakistan should not welcome Amir back

The serene team culture cultivated by Misbah and his men shouldn't be allowed to be disrupted by a player with a tainted past

November games need November prices

An early start to the international season, coupled with costly tickets, have kept the Australian public away from the cricket

The inherent dangers of batting

The sickening blow that struck Phillip Hughes is a reminder of the ever-present dangers associated with facing fast bowlers, even while wearing a helmet

Hope for Hughes, feel for Abbott

It is impossible to imagine how Sean Abbott must feel after sending down that bouncer to Phillip Hughes. While the cricket world hopes for Hughes' recovery, it should also ensure Abbott is supported

Dhawan's bouncer problem

Why the Indian opener would be well advised to shelve the hook and pull in Australia