Gleanings GleaningsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers reflect on their lives and times

Farokh Engineer

'I was born to be a one-day player'

Dashing strokemaker Farokh Engineer was a T20 cricketer years before his time. He looks back at life with India and Lancashire

Ijaz Chaudhry

July 26, 2012

Farokh Engineer with his wife Julie, July 2012
Engineer with his wife Julie © Ijaz Chaudhry

My brother Darius was pivotal in my becoming a wicketkeeper. He was an offspinner and his club's wicketkeeper wasn't gathering his deliveries down the leg side. In desperation, he asked me to keep. I managed to show good anticipation to gather the ball and also made a few stumpings. From then on, there was no looking back.

After the 1967 tour of England, John Arlott wanted to see me play for his beloved Hampshire. Worcestershire and Somerset were interested too. I finally decided on Lancashire for its great history and beautiful ground.

The former British prime minister John Major has always been a great cricket lover. During a Lord's Test, I mentioned my forthcoming biography and he asked if he could have the honour of writing the foreword. I was flattered.

I came to be known as Rooky in England. Fred Trueman gave me the nickname.

I feel honoured to have been part of the Lancashire team that had such a great run. I joined Lancs in 1968, and when I left them after 1976, they had won the Gillette Cup four times and the John Player League twice. Some young, talented players who were already on the rolls, such as Peter Lever, Ken Shuttleworth and David Lloyd really blossomed and other exciting young players emerged.

I was passionate about flying since childhood. I got training and flew little Piper Cherokees or Tiger Moths. I used to fly low and dive under bridges.

My best attributes were belief in myself, and optimism.

I was the first star cricketer to come out of Mumbai's Podar college. Later Dilip Vengsarkar, Sanjay Manjrekar and Ravi Shastri followed me.

My first-class debut was a baptism by fire, for Combined Universities against the touring West Indies at Nagpur. Originally the visitors had planned to field a second string side against the students but the local mayor on the eve of the match bragged that the Universities team was stronger than the Indian Test team. So the West Indians fielded a full-strength side. [Roy] Gilchrist and [Wes] Hall were all over us. Three of our batsmen were hurt. My 29 was the joint-highest for the University side in the match, which we lost by an innings, as expected.

The role of Jack Bond as Lancashire captain was immense. He had the ability to inspire match-winning performances out of average county players. He was one of the first to use spin bowlers as an integral part of a one-day attack. He gave great attention to fielding and fitness. I had a great rapport with him.

I am proud I made significant contributions in some of India's memorable successes. My 59 in the first innings during India's first Test win in England was the team's highest in the match. In the second-innings chase, I shared a crucial partnership with [Gundappa] Viswanath. During the 1972-73 home Test series, when we beat England 2-1, I was the highest run getter on either side.

Lancashire came to be known as the Manchester United of cricket back then. Our Sunday league games were sold out not only at home but everywhere in the country.

My 109 in the third Test against the West Indies in 1966-67 turned out to be a career-defining innings. Before that I had been in and out of the Test team; I was not even considered for the first two Tests of that series. I played regularly afterwards, until my last Test - except the 1970-71 tour of West Indies.

Legendary soccer star George Best was a great friend and also my neighbour in Manchester for many years. He was very fond of curry and we often visited Asian restaurants together.

I was a Brylcreem boy, like [Denis] Compton. No Indian cricketer got endorsements before me.

I did captain my country unofficially. One of the most satisfying was during the second Test of the 1972-73 series against the MCC. At the end of the fourth day, they were chasing a target of close to 200 and were well placed at 105 for 4 with Tony Greig and Mike Denness sharing an unbeaten stand of about 90. On the morning of the last day, [Ajit] Wadekar was ill and I had to lead the side for the day almost. I set attacking fields and applied pressure. Wickets fell at regular intervals and we won an exciting low-scoring match.

Sir Don Bradman liked my attacking game. During the 1967-68 tour of Australia, I made 89 in the opening Test. Bradman visited our dressing room. He noticed I played in rubber-soled shoes and gave me a roasting, but he later drove me to his home, where I dined with the great man and also saw a slideshow of his cricketing exploits. From then, he sent me a card every Christmas with a P.S: "Hope you wear spikes these days."

It would be wrong to label the Lancashire of my time as only a great one-day outfit. We twice finished second in the county championships. On both occasions, we could have won the title but for the weather.

Cycling was a passion. I once cycled with friends from Bombay to Poona and back, around 240 miles.

The expected date of delivery for our first child coincided with the India's Lord's Test of 1967. We were staying in a hotel opposite the ground. I was in the Long Room with the Indian team to be introduced to the Queen when a telegram arrived from our hotel. Donald Carr, the assistant secretary of the MCC, read it and handed it over to the Queen. She turned to me and said, "Engineer, good news for you." I replied that I had been expecting it. "What was your wish?" she asked. I said, "I know it is a baby girl." The Queen looked puzzled. I said, "When my mother was dying, I wept at her bed. She consoled me and said, 'Farokh, I will come again in your life - as your first child.' Hence, it has to be a baby girl."

I never regretted my playing style. Geoff Boycott once said to me, "You have more talent than me, but because of my temperament, I have made more runs." I replied, "But which of us two do people come to watch?"

Sir Garry Sobers was my favourite cricketer. He was the complete package.

During my playing days, I always had a job. In Bombay, I worked for Mercedez-Benz in sales and marketing - a cushy job. After joining Lancashire, I found a winter job at Hawker Siddeley. Once my playing days were over, I ventured into business. Presently I am a brand ambassador for Jaguar and Lyca Mobile.

Of my Lancashire team-mates, I always enjoyed a special relationship with Clive Lloyd - we were often room-mates and we both loved parties. The Lancashire committee members spoke to me before signing him and I said, "You don't need to look further."

I was born to be a one-day player.

My most memorable catch came in the Lord's Test of '71 - [John] Edrich off [Bishan] Bedi. It was the last ball of the day. It pitched in the rough, took off, clipped the shoulder of Edrich's bat and hit me on my left shoulder. The ground was wet because of rain, and I was sprawled on the ground when the ball came down. I just managed to flick it up with my left foot, but there was no fielder in catching position and it was impossible for me to take the catch. I kicked it up again, regained my balance somewhat and finally managed to take the catch with a leap.

I still live in Manchester and I'm the vice-president of Lancashire. The people there loved me. I had a record benefit of £26,000.

Farokh Engineer plays a cut shot, England v India, 3rd Test, The Oval, 3rd day, August 21, 1971
"My best attributes were belief in myself and optimism" © Getty Images

I bagged a pair in my last Test match. [Bernard] Julien got me both times - a bowler who didn't trouble me much on the county circuit.

I really enjoyed playing limited-overs cricket with Lancashire and did my bit for the county's great successes, but there was very little international one-day cricket in my day.

I was on commentary at the1983 World Cup final for TMS. Brian Johnston asked me if the prime minister, Indira Gandhi, would declare a public holiday if India won. I said in jest that I had no doubt she would, since she was an avid TMS listener. Within minutes a message received from Mrs Gandhi's office was relayed to us - that she had heard our comments and had indeed declared a holiday. A few months later, on a visit to India, when I met Mrs Gandhi, she said, "Thanks for reminding me about the declaration of the public holiday. That will fetch me extra votes in the next election!"

My community, the Parsis, has a population of about 70,000 in India. Yet a number of Parsis have made it to the Test team. Surprisingly, there have been none after me.

Brian Statham often said that if I had kept to him all his career, he would have ended with a substantially bigger bag of wickets.

India were riding a wave in the early '70s, with three successive series wins, but it came to a halt with the disastrous 1974 tour of England. The English batsmen showed mastery over our spinners during that series. Bedi had been playing on the county circuit for last few years. More importantly, they had sorted out Chandrasekhar, who had been England's main tormentor in the previous two Test series.

I have been pulled up for speeding on Manchester's roads, but was always let off by the cops, who recognised me. One of them said, "My father would kill me if I booked you." I was never reckless but I drove fast - perhaps due to my flying instincts.

I had the wonderful experience of keeping wicket to those four fabulous spinners: Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna and Venkataraghavan. All were masters of their craft and offered a great challenge. Chandra was the most interesting. His deliveries zipped off the surface and he had a great variety - legbreak, googly, flipper, topspinner...

The essential qualities for a wicketkeeper include a sense of balance, anticipation, and confidence.

My favourite ground is the Cricket Club of India. I was brought up there and learned the game there. There used to be a reward of Rs 100 for any batsman who hit the clock tower, and I won it a few times. I also made my highest Test score in what turned out to be the last Test at the ground for 36 years.

It was a great honour to be selected for the Rest of the World three times. The selectors who named these teams included the likes of Bradman, Sir Len Hutton and Sir Frank Worrell.

T20 is great entertainment, though it can't produce genuine Test cricketers. I would have loved to play this brand of cricket. Some tell me, "You used to play T20 40 years before its invention."

Ijaz Chaudhry writes on cricket and other sports. For more about him and samples of his published work, visit www.sportscorrespondent.info

RSS Feeds: Ijaz Chaudhry

Posted by   on (July 27, 2012, 21:37 GMT)

I remembered reading the indian cricket board giving Farokh a hard time for not playing in the domestic competitions, even denying team selection.he was good enough to open the batting in any form of the game if he wanted to, they dont come like Farokh anymore

Posted by Nampally on (July 27, 2012, 18:10 GMT)

It is lovely to hear from Engineer after such a long blackout. It is also nice to know that he lives in Manchester & is VP of Lancashire CC. Farookhji was a fantastic batsmen who believed in playing bright cricket & entertaining the Fans. He did so playing for India & playing for Lancashire. I watched him both in India & in England. For a WK he could really run sharp singles because he was so slim & agile. As for his WK we used to call his stumping "Bijli" - lightening. As an earlier commenter mentioned Kunderam & Engineer were 2 of the best WK India has ever produced - both similar in batting style - attack.It is unfortunate that both these guys played in a wrong era. They would have top money earners in IPL today as well as in ODI's with ideally suited style. The guys of 60's & 70's missed out monetarily. Cricketers not even half as good as Farookh are multi millionairs today. Old timers played for the love of Cricket & I salute them. Great to hear from a fantastic past legend.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (July 27, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

To the question of John Yelton, I would like to mention that alongside Engineer, there was a Contractor as well. And some time earlier there was a Merchant, who I think was a Gujerati. Such names are common to the great Parsi community in India who also have names like Judge,Doctor,Vakil. Not to be seen as just an academic lot they also have Toddywalas and Drivers. But then even in England and Australia they have names like Lock,May Barber and Trueman.There is also a variant in Flintoff !Parsis though originally from Persia are true Nationalists having contributed to every hue of the vast Indian mosaic and cricket is no exception. My impression is that they took the names of the profession they practised because they wanted to have a new identity in their adopted land.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (July 27, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

Engineer played Tests from '61 to '75. Budhi Kenderam played from '60 to 67. Both played the game in the same attacking way and both had the influence of Pataudi as captain. The thing with both of them was that India's opening stands used to very good and the scoring rate very good. Those days if one had to follow Test cricket, one had to listen to the AIR or the Test match special of BBC or the ABC early in the morning with the Magilvray voice so distinctive. Engineer scored only 2 centuries but the impact he made on the Indian team was immense.I saw him in the Chepauk Test between India and West Indies in '67. On the first morning against the bowling of Hall, Sobers, Gibbs and others, Faroukh went on a rampage. A century before lunch loomed when he was denied the strike for some time at 96. In those days scoring a century in a session was unheard of. His personality was so much like his game. Handsome Parsi from Bombay who could be depended upon to give India a great start.

Posted by pitch_it_up on (July 27, 2012, 7:28 GMT)

I always liked this debonair & dashing cricketer.....heard a lot about him when growing up in 80's & 90's about his attacking game in a team that generally plays with a safety-first approach....and I still like his commentary.

Posted by   on (July 27, 2012, 5:21 GMT)

The best of Engineer was the 1966/67 Chepauk test Played at Madras Cricket Club Ground, Madras. Against a attack led by Hall, Griffith and Sobers! He missed a record century before lunch by 5 runs. There were enough balls to get a century before lunch but engineer disappointed us. however he went on to get a century in that match. We used to be glued to the radio and enjoyed the cricket of those days.

Posted by kunderanengineer on (July 27, 2012, 3:02 GMT)

Wow, this takes me back over 40 years when I was an adolescent growing up in India. There was only radio, no TV and Test matches ofcourse were the only format. However. it would not be an exaggeration to suggest that Farokh Engineer was the first Twenty 20 player that India produced. Since he usually opened the innings for India, it was imperative for Indian fans that they not miss the start of India's innings because one thing was certain with Engineer- before you could blink he had already hit several boundaries. I would really be curious to know what type of strike rate he ended up with. And this aggressive style of play was even more impressive considering that he had to keep wicket as well. Thank you Mr. Engineer for all the thrills you provided me and my family over all those years. You will go down in the annals of Indian cricket not only as a great player but also as the consummate entertainer.

Posted by Natx on (July 27, 2012, 2:43 GMT)

Loved his comments. Straight, positive and entertaining. Gave a glimpse of the man's mindset. Rewind 40 years, and add the energy factor - you will get a sense of how he scored 94 before lunch against Hall, Griffith and Sobers! Gilchrist of 60's and 70's!

Posted by   on (July 27, 2012, 0:46 GMT)

FAROKH was no doubt great entertainer of his Era . HE ,at times hardly scored heavily, yet as long as he was at crease it was sere treat to watch him batting ..Against visiting west Indian team in 1966-67 led by none other than sir Garfield Sobers, when he scored century in the third test at Madras it was a master piece batting display , when he went on to briskly 95 before lunch against wes HALL & others.

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 22:20 GMT)

Sure is full of himself! :)

Posted by vps3361 on (July 26, 2012, 21:56 GMT)

nice to read about him.. as I have never known about him much earlier... :)

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 19:33 GMT)

I can't believe his name wasn't even on the nominations list for all time best Indian test side. I get the feeling that he is more popular in England than in India.

Posted by ruchirdalal on (July 26, 2012, 16:20 GMT)

@John Yelton, Engineer is a typical Parsi surname(last name) and derives from the person/family's profession. Other similar Parsi surnames include Doctor, Vakil(lawyer in Gujarati which is the language used by Parsis), Merchant

So someone in Farokh's family was an Engineer. Thankfully, he chose cricket!

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 14:36 GMT)

Response to John Yelton : Farokh's surname/ last name ( Engineer) is because of the profession. His community (Parsis) are knnown to have surnames by profession. They still do , in India. A.Mithaiwala (Sweets seller) and B.Daruwala ( Liquor seller ) etc. are examples. Parsis are mostly (if not all) merchants and are dedicated businessmen.

Posted by BurningBright on (July 26, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

Bit of a show-off isnt he?

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

Good article, especially as most of us have actually forgotten him. Hats off to Ijaz to keep on remembering the greats. Also, I agree with V Krishna Moorthy as Farrokh had to keep wickets mostly near the stumps, and to the greatest spinners of their time. Lucky to have seen him in action.

Posted by imetpkd on (July 26, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

John Yelton : Although only Farokh can answer your question but in most cases Parsis community in India do have surname which indicates their family profession like Nari Contractor and Vijay Merchant. (In the case of Late Vijay Merchant I read his own narration that when he was admitted in school back in British Raj his British principal asked his name for which he replied Vijay and when asked further for surname for which he somehow could not mention. so his principal asked what yours parents do, for which he replied that they are Merchant so the principal added Merchant to his name

Posted by PrajithR on (July 26, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

@John Yelton, ... Farokh Engineer belongs to Parsi community (Zoroastrian) who migrated to India from Iran due to religious persecution ... Parsis sometimes used to adopt occupational names as surnames (like Doctor, Engineer, Subedar, Major etc) ... Probably some of his ancestors was involved in this occupation

Posted by On-Drive on (July 26, 2012, 11:52 GMT)

Nuruddin - Please do not compare Strike rate of 60s and 70s with 2000s. The rules, the quality of bats, pitches, the field settings were different. The current rules favor the batsmen. Similarly someone commented about Farok's average. In 70s, only 2-3 batsmen had an average of 50+. These days every team has a minimum of 3 players who average more than 50.

Posted by TheScot on (July 26, 2012, 11:51 GMT)

@John Yelton: The origin of the surname is same as it is for likes of Shepherd, Gardner, Butcher, Butler, Taylor etc., originated from ancestoral occupation. His father or grandfather or some forefather must have been an engineer.

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 11:21 GMT)

Mr Nuruddin Lakhani, please bear in mind that Engineer played in just 5 ODIs. Moreover, in those early days of ODIs, the scoring rates were considerably slower as compared to present times. A team total of 260 plus in 60 over a side ODI was regarded a very good total. Then there were no restrictions on field placements for the entire duration i.e. the fielding side could place all the 11 players any where on the ground.

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 11:17 GMT)

Great interview from the great man. He is still one of the most diplomatic cricketers of all time.

Posted by Bigizzy on (July 26, 2012, 11:02 GMT)

@John Yelton - He was an Indian and played for India (I state this just because you said you have not heard of it in England). He comes from the Parsi community where "Engineer" is not an unusual surname.

Posted by NuruddinLakhani on (July 26, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

Born to be a One Day player . . . ODI strike rate of 58.46 . . . hmmm!

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

I have a comment and a question. The comment - when Lancashire signed him, my memory was that they expected him to open the batting and to keep wicket. It soon became apparent that in the first-class game he wasn't a consistent enough batsman to do that, and he was put down to a regular wicket-keepers position of around 7. His first-class average is not great (29). I'm not putting him down, when playing for India he was the sort of opponent that you wanted to score runs as he was so dynamic at the crease and not afraid of anyone.

The question is: how did he get his surname? I have never come across an Engineer in England (or any other country). This is just for my own cultural interest.

Posted by abhayrao40 on (July 26, 2012, 8:51 GMT)

i met Farokh Engineer a few years ago and spent a day at cricket in Headingley with him. He was truly a genuine gentleman and extremely engaging, funny and very informed. One of life's and sport's greats. It would have beem great to see his skills in the limitedovers format but what he achieved in his years are truly immense. Proud yo have met you, Farokh. Have great fun. Abhay

Posted by kharidra on (July 26, 2012, 8:24 GMT)

Engineering marvel - Sportsmanship and professionalism combination packaged into a dynamic personality. Dynamic personalities and leaders that have steered cricket and provided some dominating moments both in front and behind the wickets.

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

He would have been very strong contender to replace Dhoni as icon player if he were to be play in dis era....

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 7:09 GMT)

I can say if the common citizens like today and internet would had been available we would have run for the blood of these gr8 players.Because they were loosing on consistent basis,though playing good.if we loose today ,even a single match ,what we comment on these websites are known to everybody.

Posted by Rahul_78 on (July 26, 2012, 6:07 GMT)

The dashing debonair. If he could have been playing today Farokh could have kept the likes of Gayle MSD's and Kohlies in shade.

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 5:07 GMT)

Great great....very interesting...really enjoyed reading Don and Farokh....and his first child....

Posted by   on (July 26, 2012, 4:50 GMT)

Farokh was a truly outstanding wicketkeeper matching the guile of the likes of Bedi, Pras, Chandra & Venky. His penchant to score runs of the very first delivery he faced, was exciting. He used to look so buoyant and fresh when he walked in to open the innings, letting me wonder where the fatigue of keeping wickets has vanished. Though India could not boast of a great batting line up those days, the level of enthusiasm and camaraderie our players showed in the field while facing tornadoes and typhoons of fast bowling was simply overwhelming. Farokh behind the stumps was a treat to watch. So were his his jovial pranks with his team mates as well as the opposition team members on and off the field. To me it seemed he was born with the gloves. To stave off the entry of a brilliant Wicket keeper like Kirmani for a long period speaks volumes for Farokh's talent. Flamboyant, Quicksilver, Awesome Gentle Entertainer to the boot. Wish you a long, healthy, peaceful healthy time ahead!

Posted by MushiKhan on (July 26, 2012, 4:35 GMT)

Amazingly.... I have heard first time about that player.... & I'm follower of Cricket since 1992...

Posted by Longmemory on (July 26, 2012, 3:47 GMT)

For anyone who was a cricket fan at that time, Farokh was the best. What a handsome, dashing and entertaining batsman and wicket-keeper he was. No matter who was playing, your eyes kept being drawn to what Farokh was up to. With those massive sideburns, twinkling eyes and footwork the man was awesome. In fact, even though Indian teams of that era used to lose so often, they had some of the best entertainers. Farokh, Jaisimha, the Nawab of Pataudi, Durrani, Kunderan and others made for fabulous entertainment. And of that lot, Farokh was the most entertaining.

FeedbackTop
Ijaz ChaudhryClose

'As you get older, you come to appreciate the tough times'

Jimmy Adams talks about the West Indian love for fast bowling, batting with Lara, and living a dream for nine years

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Numbers Game: Only 15 times has a player achieved 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Bhuvneshwar could be the 16th

Time to pension off the seniors?

Rob Smyth: If England are going to win nothing, history suggests it might be worth their while to win nothing with kids

'Smith's record in India is an aberration'

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss Graeme Smith's terrific record in different conditions

Losing to India

Nicholas Hogg: An Englishman discovers cricket fervour in India and realises he can't quite win a game against Indians even back home

Ridiculed Ishant ridicules England

Ishant Sharma has often been the butt of jokes, and sometimes deservedly so. Today, however, the joke was on England

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

England seem to have forgotten about personality

They have to see a glass that is half-full, and play the game as if it is just that, a game; and an opportunity

Ishant's fourth-innings heroics in rare company

In India's win at Lord's, Ishant Sharma took the best bowling figures by an Indian in the fourth innings of a Test outside Asia. Here are five other best bowling efforts by Indians in the fourth innings of Tests outside Asia

Another battle, another defeat on Planet Al

Alastair Cook has got used to feeling of the axe hanging over him. Only his team-mates can save England now