Gleanings GleaningsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers reflect on their lives and times

Andy Roberts

'If I write a book, a lot of people will get hurt'

Andy Roberts was all about pace and deadly accuracy. And he spoke his mind, even if it cost him a few years at the top

Interview by Nagraj Gollapudi

August 9, 2012

Andy Roberts during the World Cup semi-final, Pakistan v West Indies, 2nd semi-final, World Cup, June 20, 1979
"I looked at the batsman as someone who was standing in my way of winning a Test match" © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Sir Andy Roberts
Teams: West Indies

If you hit me for a four, what am I going to smile about? A lot of people did not understand me because I was not smiling, not showing emotion. They did not know what to expect.

I once read an article in the Sunday People by Fred Trueman, saying Roberts is a good bowler but he could be a great bowler if he brought his arms a bit higher. There is a photograph of me with both my arms wide and a long way off the ground in the delivery stride. I went back to the nets and just practised and practised for about a year till I got the arm higher. When I did that I started to bowl outswingers. I became a better bowler but not as fast I was in 1974 and early 1975.

I don't know who chose pink for the West Indian colours in World Series Cricket! We had pink shirts, pink sweaters, pink pants, pink pads, pink boots. The only thing that wasn't pink was the bat. We got a lot of whistles.

I bowled with the new ball right through till the Kolkata Test match in 1983, when I told Malcolm Marshall he would take the new ball.

In 1972, Viv Richards and myself came to visit the Alf Gover School. Brian Jacobs, a fellow Antiguan, wrote to Hampshire, asking them to take a look at me. He organised for both of us [Roberts and Richards] to come to England. I will forever be grateful to him.

Michael Holding has spoken about how I helped him get his first Test wicket. We were in Australia. Mikey had bowled well in the first Test, in Brisbane. Didn't get a wicket. He bowled well in Perth in the second Test but was still struggling to get a wicket. He was bowling at Max Walker. Bowling into the wind. I asked him why he was not bowling the short ball. He said he couldn't. I told him, "Run in, bowl him the short ball. Bowl on the off stump." He could make the ball bounce from close to the stumps. And he got his first wicket just by putting in the extra effort. A lot of us fast bowlers refused to put in that extra effort.

I represented Leeward Islands when I started playing cricket, because that was the only way to get into the West Indies team. We had a tournament called the Leeward Islands tournament. I would represent Antigua in that tournament. Then we would play for the Combined Islands [Leeward and Windward] to make the national team. I was the first Antiguan to play for West Indies. Viv was the second.

No one can take away from me what I have.

On the 1983 tour [of India], Richie Richardson lost his luggage. He travelled for two weeks with hardly any clothes, and the management did hardly anything about it. I told them that is wrong. Even in the nets he was getting ignored. Our batting order was: Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Gomes, Lloyd and Dujon. Richie was the third opener. He would come only after the bowlers had finished batting. He would have part-timers bowling to him. It was unfair to the young man to bat after the bowlers, and also, importantly, it was wrong for him to know he was not in the playing XI the day before the Test. I told him I would bowl at him to make sure he got some proper practice.

Our administrators do not really like people who speak their minds. I learned that a long time ago. It is best to get it off your chest. You feel a lot better. That is what pushed me to retire. I did not retire. I was forced into retirement. And that is because I spoke my mind.

When I was 17 or 18, I worked for a beverage company called Fruity, as a salesman. I did not play competitive first-class cricket in Antigua. I played for my local parish. When I went for the trials, they called me Fruity.

I rate a batsman not by the amount of runs he has made but by the way he plays. Graham Gooch's 123 at Lord's against West Indies in 1980 was a very good innings. He was not afraid to play his shots.

"The tour of New Zealand, when Mikey kicked the stumps, got a lot of mileage, but Australia in 1975-76 was bad. Those guys were literally bowling six inches over the crease and were not called no-balls"

I know when I went to India in 1974 I could bowl as fast as anybody.

In the first year of World Series Cricket, in 1977, we beat everybody. In the second year we were being beaten left, right and centre. Kerry Packer realised the success of WSC had a lot of do with the success of West Indies. Before a match in Melbourne, Packer came to the changing room and had a few choice words to say. No one spoke a word. After that we did not lose a match.

I could turn around from six feet and bowl almost as fast as I bowled off 19 paces. I used to put my entire body in it, and I used to jump a lot.

The 5-1 Test series loss to Australia [in 1975-76] no doubt hurt very much. At the end of the tour Ian Chappell said there was no difference between the two teams. But there was a difference: the two umpires were the difference. The umpiring was bad.

I started playing hard-ball cricket when I was 16.

My final tour was the away series in India in 1983. Before going there I had a knee operation at the end of the English county season. I worked hard but I was partially fit before coming to India. I developed a back strain on the trip so I opted out of the first Test. I told the tour committee that I would not be able to last five days. I wasn't included before the fifth Test. I know somebody did not want me to play. I had my differences with Clive Lloyd, the captain.

I had six weeks' coaching in my entire life. Never was coached before and never coached after those six weeks. Gover taught me the value of the follow-through. That is how you get your entire body behind the delivery in your follow-through.

Playing for Hampshire taught me a lot about bowling because we had to bowl a lot on uncovered wickets. And it is not easy because the faster you bowl and the shorter you bowl, the less you get out of uncovered pitches. That is because the pitch is damp and the ball just sits. So I used to bowl full and straight on any pitch.

It was never about me. It was always about the team.

If I write a book, a lot of people will get hurt. A lot of people will not be living the high life they have been living for many years.

I always look back at Leeds 1976 as my best performance. I only got three wickets in that Test match, but it was the value of those three wickets that mattered. We had scored 437 on the first day. England bowled us out for 196 the second time round. They needed 260 to win with a day and a session remaining. I got a wicket in my first over and then in my third and fourth overs. And my first ball to new man and debutant Peter Willey - I know he was out. The umpire said it was not out and I did not get any more wickets. But the mood I was in at that moment, if Willey had been given out, I think England would have lost that afternoon. That was the best spell I bowled in Test cricket.

Dale Steyn is like me. You hardly ever see him smile because he has work to do.

It was due to WSC that Dennis Waight, the trainer, came to West Indies, and that is how we began focusing on fitness.

Allen Stanford was all about making money. Packer was not about money - all he wanted was television rights. The moment he got those rights he disbanded WSC.

Anything against Australia spurred me on because of 1975-76. The tour of New Zealand, when Mikey kicked the stumps, got a lot of mileage, but Australia in 1975-76 was bad. Those guys were literally bowling six inches over the crease and were not called no-balls. That hurt more.

I see coaches asking bowlers to stop their leading arm by their legs. You get more power in your delivery by letting your arm go through, not by cutting short the flow of your leading arm.

My best moment was getting the Chappell brothers out off successive deliveries in Adelaide during the 1979-80 series: Ian, caught at slip, set up by a bouncer; Greg, caught off a first-ball bouncer.

Celebration? I don't know. I was happy I got the wicket. I would just go back to bowl again.

Composite: Andy Roberts' change in bowling action
Roberts worked to lift his arm higher and closer to his body, on the advice of Fred Trueman

I have been fishing from the time I went to primary school. I used to go out with my father. There is nothing else I would like to do right now.

I was in the manager's room in Kolkata [in 1983]. I was told that the selectors back home said that I was not fit to go to Australia later that year. How did they deem I was unfit? I had played all the matches, every single one outside of the Test matches in India. I learned afterwards that I was only included for the Kolkata Test because they thought I could get to 200 Test wickets. I had 197 before that match. It hurt. I knew I was fit and could have played for another two or three years. Ironically, I played a match-saving hand in Kolkata.

A bouncer is not a ball to hit a batsman with. It is a wicket-taking delivery.

The best I batted for West Indies was in WSC in the Supertest in Jamaica in 1979. Australia had us on the run and it was the second innings. I combined well with Clive in a 226-run partnership for the sixth wicket. But he ran me out while trying to get away from Jeff Thomson. He hit the ball straight to Trevor Chappell at short cover and ran. I could not make my ground. I was 89 run out.

How can you learn if you don't watch or read?

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

" I had my differences with the captain Clive Lloyd ", " But he ran me out trying to get away from Jeff Thomson ". " If I write a book a lot of people will get hurt ". Maybe that's the book !

Posted by alonsoe on (August 12, 2012, 9:17 GMT)

Check out the article "Honour the Hitman" on Caribarena.com/antigua in the opinions section.

Posted by wasowali on (August 12, 2012, 6:35 GMT)

if people read my book and get hurt, it's not because of me, come on andy, be courageous to write us the book...

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 2:38 GMT)

Andy Roberts was the best West Indies every produce as a fast bowler! I remember always looking up the bowling stats to see how he did......even in the county matches in England ! As a kid I got very upset with him once,and that was when he broke my all time favorite player Alvin Kallicharran hand! This was a Shell Shield match in Antigua! But i quickly forgive him cause Kalli came back and they we team mates again......i wish West Indies Board use this great man in some form to help with their future pace bowlers !!

Posted by balajik1968 on (August 10, 2012, 15:19 GMT)

One of the greats. His contemporaries rated him very high. Actually during the 1983 series in India, Gavaskar released a book called "Idols" in which he did portraits of cricketers he admired. Andy Roberts was one of them. He kick-started a golden generation of West Indies fast bowlers which ended with Ian Bishop, who lost his career tragically to injury.

Posted by JBerger on (August 10, 2012, 9:11 GMT)

Back when Andy was at the top of his game the word synonym to his name was "FEARSOME". Even afterwards he was still a lethal weapon. Too bad that politics always wears off the best of the lots.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 5:11 GMT)

One of the greatest to have played the game, what a fast bowler he was! As opposed to Michael Holding, was skiddy and low in approach, but also had two great bouncers, a fast one which was 'de parfum ball' and a slow one which climbed on you and was capable of poleaxing you. In terms of attitude, Andy was menacing, forbidding without ever being rude or sledgy. Again, by 33 decided he had had enough on his career and called it a day.

Posted by Paulk on (August 10, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

At his peak Andy Roberts may well have been the most fearsome of the legendary West Indian fast men - although others might well say the same of Marshall and Holding as well. But as I recall Roberts peak years were shorter than the others and his effectiveness declined later on. Viv Richards used to joke that they did indeed have a good slow bowler in the team ....Joel Garner !! These guys were so good that Wayne Daniel (avg:25.3, SR: 48.7) managed only 10 test matches. Go figure ..

Posted by AviLall on (August 10, 2012, 3:12 GMT)

What a great man-Andy Roberts. Andy, you will not remember this I am certain, but in 1977, you were part of the WSC XI playing against USA All Stars at the Shea baseball stadium in New York. I came into the dressing room and started taking photos with my Nikon. As I was shooting Vishy, Gavaskar, Mushtaq, you approached me in a very deferential and quite manner and asked where you could buy a camera like that. I told you it was available in Manhattan quite cheaply. Little did I know, uninformed and somewhat stupid as I was at that time, that I was talking to THE Andy Roberts !! Something I realized much later. What a goof!

Posted by rohanbala on (August 10, 2012, 1:13 GMT)

On one of the Indian team's tour to the West Indies, one reporter wrote: Andy Roberts kept on bowling on the off stump to lull the Indian batsmen into a sense of false security and then all of a sudden, he would bowl one that moved away at lightning pace to take the edge! Thanks lot Andy.. You will remain an Icon even to those who faced the music from the striker's end.

Posted by rohanbala on (August 10, 2012, 1:06 GMT)

Thanks Andy for sharing your experiences. His cold stare was as menacing as his thunderbolts. I remember his captain, Clive Lloyd used to bring him in to bowl when Tiger Pataudi strode to take strike and years later, the equally menacing Malcolm Marshall used to be brought in to bowl round the wicket to Sunil Gavaskar. There can be no better WI fast men like these two legends.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 23:39 GMT)

' just because they spoke of the exploitation that is dishing to the pan men they want to stiffle the sweetest band in the land' talk the truth and your peace andy we love you , our nation is proud of you antigua / barbuda

Posted by Puffin on (August 9, 2012, 22:18 GMT)

I like this article. Andy Roberts speaks many basic truths. Go on, write that book.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 19:37 GMT)

One of the best fast bowlers west indies produced!!

Posted by US_Indian on (August 9, 2012, 19:03 GMT)

Sorry guys there is a correction to my earlier post- the game I am mentioning was played at chepauk-madras in 1974 not 1975 as i mentioned earlier.

Thanks cnksnk for bringing back those memories- I still have visuals in my memories of those fiery bowlers grin and Vishy's calm and calculated blows to any fast bowler and how he used to wait till the ball almost reaches the stumps and when the slip fielders like LLoyd and others used to stand up after crouching and precisely at that moment vishy used to play those silky cuts which wizzed passed the slip cordon for 4's. or those square and cover drives and leg side shots square of the wicket. If my memory is right the only player who was simjilar or close to vishy was Zaheer Abbas of Pakistan and a little bit Azhar.

Posted by ROXSPORT on (August 9, 2012, 19:00 GMT)

Personally, I liked Holding more than anyone else, but I remember a bouncer Roberts bowled at Gavaskar during the 1983-84 series in India. It was the last of the one-dayers at Guwahati & it had been raining. Roberts banged one in & Gavaskar just about managed to avoid being hit. He later recalled "smelling the leather" on that one & wrote "That delivery nearly killed me". That is a huge compliment, coming from someone who considered the Windies his favourite whipping boys.

Posted by Tyrone_Persaud on (August 9, 2012, 16:49 GMT)

Andy, please reconsider and write a book. You said it yourself, "get it off your chest".

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 15:58 GMT)

i never thought he and lloyd had their differences. i can gather from this that there was a lot of bad blood among those guys those days.lloyd had a lot to do with ending his career. i guess that is one of the perks of being captain.same with michael clarke. just ask katich.

Posted by PACERONE on (August 9, 2012, 15:15 GMT)

I hope that Andy reconsiders and do write a book.We need to know the truth about what has been going on even back then.By him talking to this reporter we learn that he was willing to listen to a great fast bowler..Fiery Fred.Our young players could learn from listening to our greats..batting,bowling and fielding.No one ever mentions the bad umpiring that went on.I remember an umpire giving Colin Milburn out and he told me that he did not want Milburn knocking our bowlers around.So this does happen.

Posted by waspsting on (August 9, 2012, 14:46 GMT)

sounds bit bitter.

If he was "pushed out" - and the guy he seems to be slighting is Lloyd - it wasn't unreasonable. His figures had gotten considerably worse for 2/-3 years before his retirement - and with Marshall, Holding, Garner - and a bunch of young ones available, I don't think dropping Andy Roberts, though sad in the way of such things, was unreasonable.

"if i wrote a book, a lot of people would get hurt". Nope. that'd only happen if everyone believed you. Which they won't. Some will say, "he's bitter, that's all"

"... I told Marshall he'd be taking the new ball". that's not how Marshall remembers it! First off, Roberts wasn't in the team for 1st test. Marshall says nothing had been said about who'd take the new ball, and Lloyd asked the men on the field what they wanted to do. Michael Holding volunteered Marshall - "he's the fastest of us now" - which Marshall took as a HUGE compliment. No mention of Roberts ANYWHERE in Marshall's account of the matter.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 14:23 GMT)

Definately not a fan of Clive Lloyd is Andy.. Great fast bowler though..

Posted by harshthakor on (August 9, 2012, 13:10 GMT)

It would always be a photo-finish between Andy Roberts and Michael Holding.Holding had greater speed through the air and a better action ,while Roberts posessed a greater armoury of deliveries and arguably more control.Andy brilliantly combined his pace with control and swing and used the slower delivery as a shock weapon.No paceman had more deceptive bouncers.Roberts stats after taking 100 wickets was comparable to the best of all time .After coming back from Packer he was only a shadow of his true self but still a match-winner who overshadowed everyone on the 1983 series at home v India,with a match-winning performance at Kingston.He also produced a match-winning spell at Trent Bridge in 1980.

Overall Marshall ,Ambrose and possibly Holding may just edge Roberts but bar Marshall no West Indian paceman was more lethal.

Posted by A_S_M on (August 9, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

An absolute GEM of a person first and then a bowler!

Posted by harshthakor on (August 9, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

No pace bowler resembled Dennis Lilllee as much as Andy Roberts.Andy posessed a greater repertoire of deliveries by any West Indian pace bowler.He could cut back a 120 over old ball.He was a master of 2 bouncers at different speeds and a deadly outswinger and off-cutter. Dennis Lillee rates Andy the best pace bowler of his era while Gavaskar and the Chappell brothers rate him the best fast bowler they ever faced.I can never forget the time in 1979-80 at Adelaide when he captured both the Chappell brothers in succesive deliveries.

Statistics does not do justice to Roberts who single -handedly spearheaded the bowling attack in India capturing 32 wickets in 1974 an Australia in 1975-76 taking 22 scalps.He also was the 2nd highest wicket take in Packer Cricket with 50 wickets at an average of 24.6.I consider Andy Roberts amongst the most lethal paceman of all after Wasim Akram,Marshall,Lindwall and Lillee and more lethal than Holding,Imran ,Mcgrath or Hadlee.

Posted by Technical-1 on (August 9, 2012, 12:14 GMT)

I remember those days when the Comentary was like..In comes Roberts to bowl and he is out.. That was it. That man is a true legend! I knew he was forced out by the bandits. I have never seen another institution that continues to shoot its greatest assets in the Head! "AS West Indies Admin"

How do the allowed to continued all these years, God only knows! I guess ignorance is bliss! Or does everything sing from the same hymnal, " What you don't know won't hurt you" In the tune of Amazing Grace! Just Sad!

Devon L Wilson Author of: The Sanctuary The Open Door.

Posted by HusseinDXB on (August 9, 2012, 11:04 GMT)

Whenever we talk about that great Windies team, few players come to you mind automatically, and Anderson Montgomery Everton "Andy" Roberts is certainly one of them. What a great player. The world will never ever see again a team having Bowlers in the calibre of Roberts, Holding, Croft, King, Garner, Clerk & Marshall (same time). Thank you Cricinfo - A superb interview.

Posted by smalishah84 on (August 9, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

Champion fast bowler of a bygone era

Posted by US_Indian on (August 9, 2012, 9:13 GMT)

I remember seeing him in action in 1975 when i was just out of primary school and switched from an off-spinner (a replica of Venkat's action) to a pace bowler just trying to be like him and even i modelled my action on him and Imran Khan, kind of both had a similar kind of run ups and delivery action and was quite successful and I am happy that I did that. Even if you look at Kapil's action you will definitely find a similarity with Robert's and Imran's because in those days we didnt have any worthy fast bowler to learn or immitate. I still remember he was a terror in those days but Gundappa Vishwanath was a player who played him or any other fast bowler without any respect and the silkiness of his square cuts and late cuts was a sight to watch and you can see the grin on Roberts face when Vishwanath used to easily cut and get a four most of times and one such match was when GRV scored 90 odd runs in chennai test.

Posted by cnksnk on (August 9, 2012, 8:52 GMT)

The fastest I have seen Andy bowl was the Chepauk test in 1974. Chepayk was then one of the fastest wickets in India. I distinctly remember the spell that he bowled post lunch on I think day 1.Boy was he fast. While all other batsmen were falling over like 9 pins, Vishwanath played an absolute classic of 97 not out., That is why that innings is probably ranked amongst the best innings played by an Indian even though it was not a century. In case there are recordings of that spell from Roberts and the innings of Vishy it will be great to watch... With his ability and talent wonder why no one is looking at Andy as a bowling coach.. He could teach the youngsters a thing or two about fast bowling. Easily one of the best fast bowlers that one can see

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 8:51 GMT)

The genuine fast bowler with NO smile on face but furious in bowling ... never sledged, never had any bad memory about him .... it's an eye opening interviews (Thanks to http://www.espncricinfo.com) that we can still read about great players. It's a pity that he had to retire early on someone else's wish

Posted by ansram on (August 9, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

He is one of the best and lethal fast bowlers ever, though his stats do not look as impressive as some other WI bowlers. For me, the best WI bowler after Marshall, he under acheived and played only 47 tests.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 7:09 GMT)

Whenever someone writes about the period of West Indian dominance, now or a hundred years on, they will start with ascribing it to the fast bowling battery and then they will say "Andy Roberts was the first of the great West Indies quicks". You were the First of The Greats and that's an achievement no sourpuss administrator can ever take away, Mr Roberts, no matter how much they would want to.

Posted by thalalara on (August 9, 2012, 7:08 GMT)

A true Caribbean!!! contemporary fast bowlers needs to learn a lot from a true legend. The players of 70s to 80s across the cricketing fraternity have not been comfortable playing in Australia due to their unholy attitude... Their motto would have been to win a match at any cost....keeping the spirit of the game at abeyance, especially when the Chappell brothers were at the helm of affairs... heard lots of bad memories of cricketers played during the period. There were no such stories when Windies were dominating the game.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 5:52 GMT)

Wow, seems like what is new (aka Gayle) was old as well. Force retirement and told you are not good enough. The tall nails still got hammered back then as well. We all knew the normal trend of players primarily coming from Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad and Guyana, but its apparent that there were some serious interpersonal issues as well. We also knew that the West Indies had to be twice as good when they toured. One West Indies cricketer I know, jokingly said while he was in Pakistan, while he took his guard, the umpire gave him out. We know much of that is cleaned up know. Andy does sound a little bitter in his remarks, but he has stayed away and come to think of it, is not mentioned a lot in much of today's commentary during West Indies games. he may be right.

Posted by   on (August 9, 2012, 5:18 GMT)

Andy Roberts was a ferocious fast bowler with the eyes of a serial killer! I remember distinctly that he had three bouncers. One that you could hook for four. One you could duck under and one that ripped your head off. Andy Roberts would be just as brilliant in this day and age as he was back in the 1970's...and boy, he was lethal!

Posted by v4vish on (August 9, 2012, 4:32 GMT)

"I looked at the batsman as someone who was standing in my way of winning a Test match." is there twice in the piece.

Posted by imetpkd on (August 9, 2012, 3:59 GMT)

Very nice and straight forward. I remember in 1983 series in India he was ignored and wayne daniel played instead of him. As colin croft has said he was truely "Father of modern fast bowling" He was pioneer of the Fearsome Foursome.

FeedbackTop
Nagraj GollapudiClose

Have India missed the boat?

Martin Crowe: They made a wrong move by refusing to pick Ashwin; Kohli and Pujara have not come good; and Jadeja has only flattered to deceive

'Ajmal calls me the running offspinner'

Scott Styris talks about being a globetrotting cricketer, the ugliest cricket kit, and his slow one-day hundred

An all-round ODI giant

Numbers Game: Few players can boast the sort of numbers that Jacques Kallis achieved in ODIs

Is being bowled out by Moeen embarrassing?

Polite Enquiries: Is Rahane India's Misbah? Should Rohit be dropped? Jarrod Kimber and George Dobell discuss

India's bowling weakness outside the subcontinent

Kartikeya Date: Without good-quality third and fourth bowlers, India will continue to struggle outside the subcontinent

The woeful world of Pankaj Singh

Pankaj Singh greeted his most expensive analysis in Test history with the words 'That is cricket'. It was admirable acceptance from an impressive man of a record he did not deserve

Anderson England's guilty pleasure

There is an uncomfortable recognition that the beauty of James Anderson's cricket comes with a professionalism that has been taken to the limits but weak umpiring has to share the blame

Ugly runs but still they swoon

Alastair Cook did not bat like a leading man but the crowd applauded him for simply not failing

Boycott floored by an Indian trundler

When Eknath Solkar got under the skin of Geoff Boycott, leading to a three-year self-imposed exile from Test cricket

Worst keepers, and honours at Lord's

Also, most keeping dismissals on debut, seven-for at HQ, and youngest ODI centurions