Gleanings GleaningsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers reflect on their lives and times

Asanka Gurusinha

'I had the confidence that I could clear any ground'

He may not have played T20, but Asanka Gurusinha would have fit right in if he had

Interview by Andrew Fernando

January 6, 2013

Asanka Gurusinha
Asanka Gurusinha: "I never had dreams outside of cricket as a kid. I always wanted to play for Sri Lanka and that was my only goal" © Getty Images

My 143 at the MCG [1995] gives me a lot of pleasure because we were pretty much pushed throughout the tour. In Perth we were accused of ball-tampering for nothing. The outfields and the side wickets were so rough, the ball was being roughed up and we were accused. Then in Melbourne, Murali's chucking incident. We went through a lot of hard times in Australia in 1995-96.

I would have changed my style to play Twenty20.

I wish I could have tested myself against the West Indies attack. I never played against West Indies in a Test match. The only Test they played in Colombo, I wasn't playing, because I was coming back from injury. But I played a lot of one-dayers against them.

As a kid I remember throwing balls at Wasim Bari at the Colombo Oval. A Pakistan Board XI side with Imran Khan and Javed Miandad was visiting and those days there were no restrictions. When I made my debut I was playing against Imran and Javed. I was a little kid throwing balls and suddenly I was playing against those guys.

One captain, player and person I admire is Mahela. To me, he is a complete cricketer and a captain, and the most important thing is that he is a great person. Sometimes you can have great captains and great players, but they can be pretty bad people to deal with. You've got to give credit to Mahela's parents.

I was ten years old when I got my first hundred. I was batting with Hashan Tillakaratne, who also got a hundred in that game for our team at Isipathana College. Hashan and I started playing cricket together at around seven.

If SLC was run like a good business, with some strong leaders, we wouldn't be in debt. We are the only country that has had a World Cup and lost money. Even Bangladesh made money. We are still not in the top two or three teams in the world - we are still in that middle band. There is too much politics.

I remember everything about my World Cup final innings. That was the game for us. From the first ball, which was an inside edge for four off [Damien] Fleming, I remember everything until I got out.

I remember beating West Indies for the first time, in 1989. They were captained by Viv Richards. Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall, Bishop were all there. Dessy Haynes and Richie Richardson as well. I got the Man-of-the-Match award because I got 60-something. I knew I could handle them.

Now Arjuna [Ranatunga] and I are very good friends, but there was a time that we didn't see eye to eye. The board was making things very difficult for me.

I remember the moment I decided I wasn't going to play for Sri Lanka anymore. I was here, in Australia when I decided that enough was enough.

I was at extra cover when Murali was called for throwing at the Boxing Day Test. Initially we thought he was called for overstepping. When we realised it wasn't for overstepping, something told me this was going to be a big problem. Not just for us but for world cricket. We were a pretty united team and we were not going to let somebody control us and get away with it.

I made my debut for Sri Lanka as a keeper. I always knew I had to have a second skill, because I knew I was not a fantastic bowler. That helped me get into the national team earlier.

My concentration was better than any other Sri Lankan's. There was one innings - I'm not sure I even want to go there - I think I have the second- or third- slowest Test hundred in world cricket. It was around 540 minutes to get to the hundred. I think concentration was one thing I had, but the way the game has changed, you most probably don't want anyone like that.

At the time I didn't think that the 1996 win would be such an important occasion for the country. After my retirement I realised how much it meant.

I played for passion and the country.

I don't want to go into administration. I don't think by doing something like that I'm going to pass my experience or skills to anybody. It's got to be in some kind of coaching capacity.

It's exciting that Sri Lanka are now getting cricketers from the regional areas, but what I'm hearing is that they still have to come to Colombo after they get selected. That means we have to build that structure in those places - to have facilities in Galle, Matara and other areas.

In the 1996 World Cup, our top seven had about 1000 games between us. That was a huge amount. No other side had that amount of one-dayers behind them. We had Sanath [Jayasuriya] and Kalu [Romesh Kaluwitharana] opening, and from No. 3, which was me, we had Aravinda [de Silva], Arjuna, Roshan [Mahanama], Hashan. That was a solid batting line-up. We knew at least two of us would always click. That was a strength that Arjuna used, because we weren't a superstar bowling attack. Murali wasn't the guy who could run through sides back then.

I never had dreams outside of cricket as a kid. I always wanted to play for Sri Lanka and that was my only goal.

"I had the confidence that I could clear any ground, and I have done that. I would have enjoyed T20"

I really struggled with the lack of intensity in club cricket after I retired from internationals. I played six seasons here and in the last two, I moved from district cricket to a different league. It was still on turf but the wickets weren't covered and the tracks were slow and quite bad. My motivation was not there. Some days I felt like I didn't need to go to training, and that told me, "Hang on, you need to give up because it's not right for the club."

I was in a silly mood after the 1996 final and I can't believe what I said. They were playing a clip of that here recently, where I was talking to the Australian press. I said, "Now we are the world champions, and pretty soon we will get up there in Test cricket as well."

You could say I was like a hero at the school when I was captaining Nalanda College, but there is a bar at which you have to keep performing. They expect when you walk in you will do something for the school.

The most difficult spinner for me was Abdul Qadir.

I read something about Arjuna saying that when he was playing, I was the hardest hitter he had seen.

I'm an Australian citizen but Sri Lanka is home and it will be home always for me and my wife. The first three to four years in Australia I struggled a lot. It took a long time to get to where I am now.

Even on Test debut, I wasn't nervous. In the first innings I was playing as a keeper and I came in at No. 8 or something. I walked in to face Imran, Wasim Akram and Abdul Qadir.

When I was playing, Warnie didn't have a good googly, and you need that for a left-hander. Warnie's googly was most probably the worst in the market in those days.

Akram and I had a lot of battles. He's the best bowler that I have faced, and a lot of cricketers in that era will say he is one of the best bowlers. Even Ponting will say Akram was a tough competitor to come up against.

I love seeing my old Sri Lanka team-mates. We've known each other since we were kids, and now we have children who are in their 20s. Roshan Mahanama and I go back a long way and we're very close friends. We talk to each other every second week or so on the phone.

Asanka Gurusinha on his way to 65 against Australia, World Cup final, 1996
Gurusinha batting in the World Cup final in Lahore © Getty Images

I had the confidence that I could clear any ground, and I have done that. I would have enjoyed T20.

I was listening to Mark Taylor last week, and he said, "The Sri Lankans played our game in that final." And that's what exactly what we did. We started dictating terms to them when normally they were used to dictating terms to us.

In the eighties, the school cricket standard in Sri Lanka was very high. All of us went straight from school into the national team. Arjuna, Aravinda, Roshan Mahanama, Hashan and myself - we were all scoring big runs in school cricket.

Michael Clarke and Alastair Cook have that same ability to get a team together that Arjuna had. I really like Clarke and I've recently started liking Cook.

I have two hundreds against Warnie and he has never taken my wicket. I'm proud to say that out of the 700-something wickets he has taken, he has never taken mine.

In the eighties Sri Lanka were one of the small sides that other teams came and played. Now people expect Sri Lanka to do well. Then people pretty much expected us to lose, so if we drew a game, it was like a win for us.

We did certain things we shouldn't have done in that Boxing Day match. We didn't shake hands with the Australian team after that Test, or in the one-dayer in Sydney. That, to me, is a bad thing. It's a gentlemen's game. If you have issues, you take it up, but that is going to the other extreme.

Aravinda and Arjuna were two completely different people in the middle. Aravinda doesn't talk too much - that's the way he focuses. Whereas Arjuna would say, "Hey, don't do that" or, "There's only this amount of time left, come on, let's do it." I enjoyed both of them. I was a bit of both, and they helped me focus. They both knew that they could depend on me to hang around, and I would stay on one side and they can play their shots. If either of them were getting bogged down, they would come to me and say, "Mate, can you take the strike, because I feel a bit uncomfortable." We discussed those strategies.

Sport and business go together. Both are a lot about how to get the best out of your team.

Andrew Fernando is ESPNcricinfo's Sri Lanka correspondent. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Andrew Fidel Fernando

Posted by CricketFan2011WC on (January 7, 2013, 23:01 GMT)

One of my personal favorites. Such a tough contender. As Arjuna pointed out, he really is a hard hitter of the ball. I can see something like that with Dimuth Karunaratne. If mentored properly and given chances he is suitable for No.3 position even in SL ODI side. Clearly saw how steadily and confidently Dimuth batted in fast tracks. I am hoping the selectors would see the same about Dimuth. Nevertheless, finally it is nice to see an article about Guru. I am a huge fan and was a dear follower of his batting capacity.

Posted by mumbaiguy79 on (January 7, 2013, 21:48 GMT)

This guy was nothing like Aravinda (in fact there is no one like Aravinda). But this guy was a fantastic player of the spinning ball. I always used to imitate his nodding of the head right after he used to take the strike :).

Posted by SLMaster on (January 7, 2013, 15:56 GMT)

He is the one who held the batting line. His style even though some criticized, well it made the bowlers useless. He played a thinking game and made the stage for Aravida to come play good innings. This is what is missing from current side and sides we had from the time Gura left. Hashan is one closer to his style. Slow and rooted batsman always made the bowler to loose belief.

Posted by CoolSree on (January 7, 2013, 10:45 GMT)

The best thing of SL cricket in 1996 was left right combination till 9...Jaya (L), kalu (R), Guru(L), Aravinda (R), Arjuna (L), Mahanama (R), Hashan (L), Dharmasena (R), Vaas (L), murali (R) and wicksinghe. Brilliant team...changed the definition of ODI cricket then and yes, Gurusinghe was the wall in this team and Aravinda their key player. Jayasuriya had ended the career of Manoj Prabhakar then.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 22:42 GMT)

I can remember those days gura take ages to start scoring. . but once Gura settles in.. no one can stop..

Posted by Herath-UK on (January 6, 2013, 21:26 GMT)

Hatts off to you Gura bringing glory to Sri Lanka. Ranil Herath - Kent

Posted by spas on (January 6, 2013, 18:51 GMT)

Gura was a sort of backbone of SL batting for a significant period of time. SL cricket lost Gura's service coz of politics. Shame on those who involved those ugly incidents. Present cricketers - who have got attitude problems - T20 syndome can learn a lot from Gura.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 16:31 GMT)

@ Ovinda Jayawardana Dont worry mate i also face the same issue but i was lucky enough to find all those golden videos

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 16:29 GMT)

Gura was an icon of stability. 1996 WC winning team was packed with arrogance (Kalu and Jaya), power (Aravinda), stability (Gura and Hashan), insurance (Hashan and Arjuna) and penetration (Murally and Vaas). Those qualities could hide the two weak links; Dharmasena and Pramodaya.

After 16 years today we have three aging stars and a bundle of weakies to be hidden. What's there for tomorrow... is a big question..!!!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 15:23 GMT)

What i need to know where is that GM bat with dark red face (took that red beacouse of the red ball patches). I think that bat should be the one, which most used by a single player in this cricket world and what surprised me was, he didnt use that bat for the 1996 world cup.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 15:13 GMT)

Asanka ! One of the Best in the business of 1 down batsman....who was a genuinely a main factor that winning the world cup of 1996.Yes, I really admired & respect him now more than ever .... He has said ..".Money is Nothing" ...Wish you ALL the Best "GURAA".

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 14:33 GMT)

true gentlemen......i am so angry with me coz i can't remember the time he was playing coz i was about 6 yrs old..shame on me....

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 14:23 GMT)

Asanka you r A Gr8 Cricketer , we need some1 like you for our SL team very soon. I can't c anyone has taken your place after u left. Salute & Respect !

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 13:47 GMT)

An under-rated player, good to hear his views. Along with Aravinda, Ranatunga and Tillekeratne he formed a very strong middle order that was, along with Murali and Vaas's emergence, the key to them moving from 8th placed 'minnows' in 1992 to the top 5 team in all formats they've been virtually ever since that brilliant 1996 World Cup win.

Posted by Palitha-Ferdinands on (January 6, 2013, 12:18 GMT)

We missed you when you left SL cricket those days. And even now we still miss you since no one has been able to replace you.

Posted by ahead-of-time on (January 6, 2013, 12:09 GMT)

"I have no regrets at all about retiring early. That period gave me a lot of time to settle down in Australia. Some people will say I am the only player who hasn't earned the money that others have. Money is nothing."

I really like these few lines. If present day cricketers have this attitude towards money, today's Test cricket would have been like the test cricket of the golden olden days.

Posted by PadMarley on (January 6, 2013, 10:41 GMT)

Gura, thanks for all what you did those days to SL cricket!! You, Hashan and Samaraweera were the back-born of our test line keeping the innings together... I dont see a player coming up after Tilan to take this role...

Posted by Chestnutgrey on (January 6, 2013, 10:10 GMT)

Quite the modest gentleman, isn't he?

Posted by ygkd on (January 6, 2013, 6:49 GMT)

Yes, Gurusinha was hardly the one with the most attractive-looking batting, but at least he gave it a red-hot go. His keeping, too, was okay and his bowling wasn't that bad either. And for that one just had to like him. I remember the WC win - they'd flown in under the radar. Guess most of the Australian audience was gobsmacked, but when you looked at it Sri Lanka had a fine team and Gurusinha was an important part of it.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 6:16 GMT)

good to hear him after a long time. he was defintely effective.maybe like aamir sohail-not exactly "pretty" to watch but got the job done.was useful medium pacer too for ODIs

Posted by davidatlas999 on (January 6, 2013, 5:44 GMT)

i really enjoyed he is great man i never watch him play.but as a pakistani we love srilankan cause they are so nice with us we know we are friends of each other.

Posted by Master_Mihil on (January 6, 2013, 3:59 GMT)

You don't know what you are talking about do you _PK? Even commentators were whole heartedly supporting SL team through out that incident. It's unprofessional and pathetic how hair and emmerson behaved. "just for their moment of glory" defying all decency in sport. SL were quite right to do that, and it changed lot of things about cricket culture. It was a black day for world cricket. Golden day for SL cricket..

Posted by saimrasheed on (January 6, 2013, 3:38 GMT)

he was a gud player.i am pakistani.but i also like sl palyers.

FeedbackTop
Andrew Fidel FernandoClose

Still plenty of ifs for Butt

Rob Steen: Salman Butt insists players should refrain from "wrongdoing" but that shouldn't gain him back the trust of those he duped

Outside the Grace Gate

Shot Selection: You think MCC members have it easy when it comes to watching a Test at Lord's? Think again

Drowned out by the hype machine

Sharda Ugra: A lot has gone wrong with the Indian T20 league but as its seventh season begins, everything will be brushed everything aside like nothing is amiss

Notes from a Dutch adventure

Netherlands coach Anton Roux looks back on their incredible wins in the World T20, late-night bonding, and pizza intake

A measure for batting and bowling effectiveness in T20

Kartikeya Date: Strike rates and economy rates do not quite tell the whole story. Here's a new standard

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation

Fifty for the pantheon

What if you had to narrow all of cricket greatness down to 50 names?

'I love to take batsmen on'

Wahab Riaz, the Pakistan left-arm quick, on the pain of missing out on a ten-for, and his love for numbers and batting