I Was There I Was ThereRSS FeedFeeds
Great games relived by those who featured in them

Ranji Trophy

'Ninety per cent of the crowd there cried'

A ball boy who went on to be a cricketer of some repute remembers the greatest Ranji final of them all

Siddhartha Talya

January 25, 2013

Dilip Vengsarkar argues with umpires AL Narasimhan and RV Ramani, Mumbai v Haryana, Ranji Trophy 1990-91, final, Mumbai, May 7, 1991
Dilip Vengsarkar arguing with the umpires during the 1991 Ranji Trophy final © MiD DAY Infomedia Ltd

The dramatic final moments of a famous game in 1991 are etched in the memory of those who played it, watched it at the ground and on state television; newspaper clippings and a few photographs preserve them to this day. Haryana did the unthinkable then, beating Bombay at the Wankhede Stadium in the closest Ranji Trophy final ever, and the recollections of a 16-year-old ball boy who patrolled the boundary near the Vijay Merchant stand are as vivid as any historical record.

"There is a ground, a square-leg umpire, next to him is [Dilip] Vengsarkar sitting down in a namaz position, the main umpire taking the stumps out, nobody else," he remembers, almost 22 years later, over a cup of coffee in Bandra. "Abey [Kuruvilla] and Lalu [Lalchand Rajput] had also walked off."

This wasn't a time for a Flintoff-Lee moment. Vengsarkar lay at square leg, crying inconsolably, well after the Haryana players had finished celebrating their victory and charged towards the dressing room. "I don't think anyone dared to go near him," the ball boy recalled.

Moments before, a mix-up between Rajput, Vengsarkar's runner, and last man Kuruvilla had resulted in a run-out, one that caught Bombay short by two runs in their chase of 355. Vengsarkar, who had injured his thigh, had played a pivotal role in getting them that close from 34 for 3, and he ultimately remained unbeaten on 139, but bore the regret of not seeing his team through.

"There was Prasad Desai, a reserve player, and he went and got Vengsarkar inside. I was closer to the dressing room as he was coming back. I saw him cry like a child, crying like a baby. I'll tell you, 90% of the crowd that had turned up there cried. They were not sad, they were distraught. That is something I've never seen."

The ball boy was already a Bombay Under-16 captain, and the lessons he learnt from that game were to stay with him for the rest of his career. He went on to become captain of Mumbai, led his team to a Ranji title in 2006-07, and was part of eight Ranji Trophy-winning sides. Two people he knew well, Sachin Tendulkar and Vinod Kambli, were already part of the Mumbai team then, and he, Amol Muzumdar, not for the first time, was next in line.

He had been at Shardashram Vidyamandir School in Dadar with the two and was the batsman waiting to come in when the pair amassed a record stand of 664 in a Harris Shield game in 1988, and it wouldn't be too long before he made his name for Bombay by scoring 260 on debut in 1993-94, against the side he had seen beat his own in that final three years earlier.

"Prakash Kelkar, who was known in the cricket circles in Mumbai, asked me if I wanted to be a ball boy for the final when I met him accidentally on a train back home," Muzumdar said, before rattling off the names of the 11 cricketers who played that game for Bombay. "The fact that I can remember [all the 11 names] 22 years down the road, the first XI, it tells you the kind of impact it had on my mind then. "

Bombay had eight Test cricketers in their line-up - among them Sanjay Manjrekar, who was captain, and Vengsarkar, both of whom Muzumdar was in awe of. He had no inhibitions about going in to the Haryana dressing room and meeting their captain, his icon, Kapil Dev, but the Bombay dressing room, Muzumdar says, was a lakshman rekha (line of fire). "I asked Kapil Dev for an autograph. And I was in my whites, and he looked at me and he said, 'Are you a cricketer?' I said, 'Yes, sir, I am an Under-16 captain of Bombay.' He signed and said, 'Henceforth, don't ask for autographs, sign autographs.'

"I remember Kapil warming up. He was catching everything. Also, what I remember is his throwing. He was telling the Haryana keeper, 'Go five steps back every second throw.' He was doing that and every single throw the ball used to land in that keeper's tummy, no matter how many times he went five steps back. It was magnificent to see that kind of control."

Haryana chose to bat and piled up 522, thanks in part to eight dropped catches by Bombay fielders, Tendulkar and Kambli included. "I remember, at the end of the day's play, Sachin was on the ground, still catching," Muzumdar recalls. "He dropped a high catch, and he was pretty upset about it.

"Kambli was having a great season; he got a hundred in the semi-final. He told me from the boundary line, 'Amol, come on, it's time for you to come inside the boundary rope, not sit out.' I could not react."

Kapil picked up three wickets in Bombay's reply, including that of Kambli, who he walked off with, a hand on the young batsman's shoulder, after bowling him out.

Bombay conceded a big lead, but they bowled out Haryana for 242 in the second innings. They then had a little over two sessions to chase 355, but at 34 for 3 at lunch on the final day, all hopes rested on a 18-year-old who had already acquired a reputation for being a game-changer.

"The public there was mainly office-goers, who watched a lot of Mumbai games. Manjrekar was just gone before lunch. Everyone had just one thing on their minds, 'Tendlya laagla pahije, bas [Tendulkar must click]'

That game taught me anything is possible in cricket. In half a day if a side can chase 350 against a team with Kapil, anything can happen."

Sachin Tendulkar punches during his 78, India v England, 3rd Test, Mumbai, February 20, 1993
File photo: "Everyone had just one thing on their minds, 'Tendlya laagla pahije, bas [Tendulkar must click]'," remembers Muzumdar Graham Chadwick / © Getty Images

Tendulkar and Vengsarkar shared a 134-run stand for the fourth wicket, of which Tendulkar smashed 96 off 75 balls. "Today there's T20; you can associate a 96 in 75 balls with Rohit Sharma or Virat Kohli or anybody. But, in those days, 96 in 75 balls was unheard of in a first-class match.

"I clearly remember one shot by Sachin off Chetan Sharma. Chetan was bowling with some pace, and he was sharp. He bowled a ball from the North Stand end and Sachin hit the ball flat-batted, it went over mid-off, probably 20 feet, and landed straight into the crowd, and was still travelling and going at a very low height. That shot just set the tone. It was just after lunch, and it changed everyone's psyche. The buzz around was, 'Toh laagla aahe [He is in the groove]' and people just started coming back into the ground." Reports said the turnout on the fifth day was close to 18,000.

The game changed again, frustratingly for Mumbai, as Tendulkar was caught at extra cover off a full toss, and Kambli went after scoring 45. Vengsarkar was solid at one end, but Bombay lost Chandrakant Pandit, Raju Kulkarni, Salil Ankola, and Sanjay Patil, all in quick time.

When last man Kuruvilla, picked out of the blue from an MCA-Mafatlal camp by Manjrekar for the final, walked in, Mumbai needed 50 to win. Vengsarkar immediately switched gears. He went after the offspinner Yogendra Bhandari, smashing him for three sixes and two fours in an over. "One shot, I remember, hit the roof of Wankhede. It hit the T of 'Tata Enterprises' and came back."

Vengsarkar showed plenty of faith in Kuruvilla, taking singles off the first balls of several overs and leaving his partner to negotiate Kapil and Sharma, which Kuruvilla did successfully. "I learnt just by watching Vengsarkar bat with Abey, that when you show a bit of confidence in your tailender, he would react positively and the game might get closer. Sometimes when you are batting on a hundred-odd and there's a tailender batting, nine fielders are on the boundary, you can't possibly hit boundaries and sixes. All you can do is take that single and show some faith and hope for the best."

As Bombay drew close, and the Haryana fielders grew more nervous, "Kapil was walking in the outfield and signalling to everyone waving his hands, 'Thanda, thanda [Keep your cool].' I remember one stop by Rajesh Puri at the boundary line; with eight or nine needed, Vengsarkar hit one fiercely towards long-off and Puri dived full length, stopped it and saved three runs."

With three needed off 14 balls, Kuruvilla played one to short fine. Rajput called for a single, the throw went to the non-striker's end and Kuruvilla was run out, with a stunned Vengsarkar watching from square leg.

"The drama was enough, what unfolded in front was enough, the picture told you the story. You don't dwell too much into things," Muzumdar said when I asked him why he hasn't spoken about the game much with those who played it. "That's maybe an unwritten cricketers' rule. What unfolds in front of you, that's enough for you to picture what is happening or the emotion that's being shown. What happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room."

The lesson learnt still rings loud and clear by way of the attitude that has come to typify Mumbai cricketers. "At the end of the day it's a cricket match that has been lost, not a matter of life and death. But the sight of so many people crying, even Vengsarkar crying, it told you, you can't lose. Being a Mumbai cricketer, you just can't lose.

"That game really crossed my heart. I cried a lot again, in 1995-96, when we lost to Tamil Nadu in the quarter-final. It was my third year after my debut and it was the first loss of my career, in Tirunelveli. I didn't associate Mumbai with any losses. It took two years for me to register that we could lose."

Are the younger cricketers he meets today aware of what happened then? "It's a different era now. Unless it's told to them [a sense of history instilled] they wouldn't be interested.

"I don't know about others, but I tried to do that as captain. I would make groups, give them a topic to work on, use the internet and check it out. I got positive feedback from a couple, a couple just ignored it. I got feedback from Sahil Kukreja once - he had written about the 15 glorious years of Mumbai winning [1958-59 onwards]. I've still got a copy. Sometimes when I am going through the drawers, I still read from the first line to the last line. That was good from Sahil.

"I tried, I tried."

Siddhartha Talya is a senior sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Siddhartha Talya

Posted by ToTellUTheTruth on (January 27, 2013, 19:14 GMT)

Another enduring image I remember even today was a picture of Kapil consoling the Colonel with his arms around him. And the anguish of Deepak Sharma missing out on a double hundred. Oh...this game is never over in my mind.

Posted by ntalgeri on (January 27, 2013, 12:56 GMT)

Kapil Dev and Ajay Jadeja played that game for Haryana. I think this win paved the way for Jadeja's entry into the Indian team in subsequent years. I think it also saw the rise of the dominance of North Zone teams in Ranji. If I am not mistaken, Delhi and Punjab won it in following years. That said, the terrible sense of loss that pundits feel each time Mumbai loses is unfair to the other states. It is ridiculous when learned experts lament a Mumbai loss. I grew up listening to stories on how once "the Mumbai team was the Indian team" and my response would be - yeah right, and how many matches did INDIA win in those times? One state dominance has never benefitted Indian cricket - in '96, Karnataka dominated the Indian team (David Johnson, Sujith Somasundar???) and in previous years Mumbai did it, but none of these ever resulted in Indian wins. India's best wins have all come when the team's been cosmopolitan - 1983, 1985, Ganguly years 2001-05, 2007-T20, 2011 WC.

Posted by   on (January 27, 2013, 2:59 GMT)

I recall the game very well. I was in my final year & the degree exams were going on. Despite the exam next day, I regularly watched the match, especially the last day. Being a fan of Kapil Dev living in Mumbai, I was torn between the two sides. When Haryana won, I was happy. When Vengsarkar cried, I was very happy. I had a question for him then: "did you ever cry when India lost to an international side like West Indies, Australia or our arch rival Pakistan?" That showed how regionalistic Vengsarkar had become. Its good that he did not play much international cricket thereafter.

Posted by ToTellUTheTruth on (January 26, 2013, 20:28 GMT)

Following up...My idol Kapil's fight back, Chetan missing his century as did Ajay Jadeja...man. I lived my dream for sure. But was cursed to miss out on the final session, as I had to rush back to work at lunch time. I never forgave myself about that, even today.

Posted by Vivek.Bhandari on (January 26, 2013, 16:57 GMT)

I remember the match vividly. It was the first Ranji match that I saw. May be the fact that it's rare you see a Ranji match on TV.

As an 8-year old, I hardly knew any Haryana player apart from may be Kapil Dev, but knew a lot of Bombay players including e'one's favourite Sachin Tendulkar (Manjarekar, Kambli included). I was supporting Bombay and my parents were favouring Haryana. And they were teasing me with every Bombay wicket. By the end, I was full in tears probably not as much as the Colonel had.

This match is even more special because rarely you see a Ranji match go the distance. Most Ranji matches are decided on the 1st innings lead, which is indeed a farce.

Posted by Aldizterbd on (January 26, 2013, 16:13 GMT)

Not a match I can forget - saw it live too. The big excitement for us Chembur guys was our own local Lambu (Abey Kuruvilla) making his debut in the Ranji final ! It was a fairy tale match for him in many ways. He was such a humble lad that he did not tell his friends that he had been selected in that superstar-filled Bombay team till the evening before the final. And we had as much faith as Vangya in his batting skills at No.11 and his cool in a crisis.

This is also probably the last time that so many international cricketers figured in a Ranji game.

Posted by sachinrh on (January 26, 2013, 15:38 GMT)

I always felt have Yogendra Bhandari not played those last 2 sessions he would have been in probables for India team. He really did exceptional job till Sachin & Vengsarkar smashed him all over. Specifically that one over assault by Vengsarkar towards end of the game. Felt bad for him. Fantastic cricket. I am sure who ever watched that game will always remember how great was Vengsarkar & begining of another great. Every word from Amol fellt like watching that game again. Considering Amol himself was another sad story of the game, felt more attached to the event. Thank you both Amol & Sidharth.

Posted by sportofpain on (January 26, 2013, 15:30 GMT)

Looking at the scorecard of Mumbai's second innings, it seems as if there were 3 run outs all involving the tail. Did this all happen when Rajput was running for Vengsarkar? Unusual for 3 tailenders to be run out so if someone - maybe Amol- can throw light on that, will satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

Posted by Rugsy on (January 26, 2013, 14:39 GMT)

Thanks Siddhartha for a terrific piece. What a match that was

Posted by ultrasnow on (January 26, 2013, 10:48 GMT)

Menon bro I totally agree with you!! I was a teenager then with nothing to do that day. As a cricket fan I decided any cricket would do. It was a sheer privilege watching that epic live.

Posted by   on (January 26, 2013, 10:30 GMT)

It would be amazing if someone is able to dig out atleast a few minutes worth of video clippings from this wonderful game..I have heard so much about this game!

Posted by   on (January 26, 2013, 8:01 GMT)

I watched the final day on DD metro

Posted by Longmemory on (January 26, 2013, 7:43 GMT)

Not to sound like a cynic or anything, but has Vengsarkar ever been so gutted after India lost a test match? Sometimes I get the feeling that many Mumbai cricketers - with some honorable exceptions - play with more passion for their Ranji team than they do for the nation.

Posted by Cricinfo-Editorial on (January 26, 2013, 6:32 GMT)

Thanks Mr. Menon for pointing it out. The line has been tweaked to reflect that.

Posted by   on (January 26, 2013, 6:06 GMT)

"The public's recollections of a famous match in Bombay in 1991 are largely confined to newspaper clippings and a few photographs" - THIS IS NOT TRUE. The match was shown live on Doordarshan (DD). I remember seeing the bowling of Abey Kuruvilla (then on debut) on TV. He was then the fastest Indian bowler I have ever seen!

Posted by batman_gothamcity on (January 26, 2013, 5:45 GMT)

what a match !!!!, still remeber with my school mates .all big stars in Haryana also kapil, jadega , chetan sharma . tendulkar was already a star , when he came out for few knocks in nets the crowd roared , but Manjrekar was the more reliable at that time . Vangya as he was called fondly played the innings of his life , he desperately wanted to win this but could not .

Posted by   on (January 26, 2013, 4:16 GMT)

Amol u played in my home town tirunelveli in 95/96 in india cements grounds along with my fav robin, wv raman i was there but i dont know about u guys at such young age. But know i am feel prown

Posted by Homer2007 on (January 26, 2013, 3:58 GMT)

Can I say that it was not just people on the ground who cried that day? The game was among the first on the newly functional DD2 and my entire family was glued.. Never seen my mom so expressive through it all, and even more so when it was all over.

Posted by Des_65 on (January 26, 2013, 3:06 GMT)

I remember this match - it was like a ODI.

Posted by LetThereBeLogic on (January 26, 2013, 0:45 GMT)

This fighting spirit and high emotional-connection with the game, is why I love Mumbai the most.. Not to mention Sachin plays for them!!

Posted by chaitanya_mango on (January 25, 2013, 17:45 GMT)

I vaguely remember an incident which is quoted by Harsha Bhogle in his book. That the teams lose the match against Mumbai even before the games starts. As one of the players from Hyderabad had said in the team meeting before their match against Mumbai(Then Bombay) "Openers jaayenge, Manjrekar aayegaa, Manjrekar jaayegaa, Tendulkar aayegaa, Tendulkar jaayegaa Vengsarkar aayegaa, Vengsarkar jaayegaa, Kambli aayegaa, Kambli jaayegaa More aayegaa. Saalaa kis kis ko out karegaa." And the game was lost even before it started.

Posted by venkatesh018 on (January 25, 2013, 13:03 GMT)

I remember hearing the radio commentary of the final moments of this Ranji final. Miraculous win by Haryana !

Posted by cricconnossieur on (January 25, 2013, 12:57 GMT)

What a pity we could not see this match live ! One of the greatest innings played in domestic cricket. Wouldnt it be a treat to get the Mumbai captain , Manjrekar talking about the match !

Posted by   on (January 25, 2013, 12:26 GMT)

brlilliant piece.. unveiling one of the best ranji final... 18000 people turnaround!! must be a dream today!!

Posted by bulldo on (January 25, 2013, 10:59 GMT)

Dilip Vengsarkar's greatest innings ever!!!

FeedbackTop
Siddhartha TalyaClose

We need sophisticated technology to deal with chucking

Darren Berry: Still images and slow-motion replays are more effective than lab testing

India's Constant problem

Rewind: How a row over the appointment of an umpire in 1982 led to the Shakoor Rana-Mike Gatting stand-off

Aftab's unfulfilled talent

Mohammad Isam: Aftab Ahmed could have been a superstar for Bangladesh, but he didn't have the desire and work ethic to follow through

Test cricket's young Fab Four

Martin Crowe: Kohli, Root, Smith and Williamson will take turns as the No. 1 Test batsman. So far each has shown only one technical weakness

Analysing the unexplainable

Anantha Narayanan: Sequences as bad as, or worse than, India's five-innings streak of sub-200 scores

India disgraced themselves by not competing

MS Dhoni and the BCCI are to blame for a touring party that became too comfortable and compliant

'I couldn't bring myself to set a batsman up by giving him runs'

Glenn McGrath talks about the method behind his metronomic consistency, visualisation, and why aggression isn't about sledging

Dhoni doesn't heed his own warning

Plays of the Day from the second ODI between England and India, in Cardiff