Dirk Nannes February 28, 2014

'I never wanted to be a cricketer'

Dirk Nannes likes messing about in the snow, can't speak Japanese or Dutch, and once saw Brad Hodge throw a shoe to delay a game
  shares 17

You are a self-confessed accidental cricketer. Explain.
I never wanted to be a cricketer. It wasn't what my dream was and I just fell into it. I was always dedicated to my skiing.

You have represented Australia at skiing and cricket. What is your first love? Skiing, definitely. I love my skiing although I have only skied once in the last six and a half years! The moguls was what I was all about. The reason it gets a bad rap is because of the big-impact falls and people having huge one-off stacks, but that doesn't happen that often.

You have played international cricket for Netherlands. Does that mean you can speak fluent Dutch?
My parents always spoke Dutch when they didn't want us kids to understand. There are four of us. My eldest sister understands fluently, and the younger the kid - and I'm the youngest - the less we spoke.

What is the story behind the rumour that you can speak Japanese too?
That came from an article in a newspaper when I first started playing cricket. I'd been to Japan three times in six months and he assumed I spoke Japanese. I don't!

Are any of your three children going to be cricketers?
Matt is the eldest. He has my body shape, with a big arse, and he might be a hard-hitting No. 7.

If I gave you a ball and you had six balls to hit one stump, how many times would you back yourself to hit?
Two.

Who, in world cricket, would you back to hit the most?
I'd have a spinner. Hmm, I'll go with Daniel Vettori.

You've been on the mic in T20 games. Is it off-putting having the commentators getting in your ear?
I don't mind it as long as people don't ask me shit questions. Let me do the talking. Normally you bowl the ball, think about what's just happened for the first five seconds, have five seconds of blank and in the next five you think about what you're going to do with the next ball. As soon as I've bowled it I don't need someone asking me what I think a par score is, because I don't give a shit! It's not what I want to think about midway through an over. I prefer having the freedom to talk my way through it.

What's the strangest thing you've ever seen happen on a cricket field?
Brad Hodge took off his shoe and threw it from midwicket to cover in the Pura Cup final in 2006 to delay! David Hussey was bowling the last over before tea and it took seven minutes as we didn't want to have to bowl another one. They were 800-odd for 3 at the time and Hodgey just put his hand up and said, "Sorry, it slipped off", and walked all the way over to cover to put it back on!

Who is the best left-arm quick you have ever seen?
It's got to be Wasim [Akram], hasn't it?

Which three team-mates past or present would you want in your dream pub quiz team?
Vettori would be very good. I'll have Ryan Carters and Neil McKenzie too.

Which takeaway do you prefer: Chinese or Indian?
Chinese.

Night in or night out? A night in.

What is the best thing about playing in the Big Bash?
The camaraderie between the guys.

Which batsman in world cricket do you least enjoy bowling at?
AB de Villiers.

Which cricketing rule would you like to change?
That it can't pitch outside leg for lbws.

Who has given you the worst sledge?
I can't really think of one. I think it's because I'm quite quiet. I never say anything to the batsmen.

• POSTED BY android_user on | February 28, 2014, 16:03 GMT

During his stint with Delhi Daredevis, Sehwag went on to say that he hasn't seen anyone bowl faster than Dirk Nannes. Now that is quite a compliment coming from somebody who faced some of the ferocious stuff during his career. Nannes has always been underestimated and never got his fair share in international cricket. Sad to see so little of him :(

• POSTED BY nursery_ender on | March 2, 2014, 11:30 GMT

I have two great memories of Dirk's spell with Middlesex.

1. Seeing him blow away the Worcester batsmen with 6-32 on a helpful pitch at Kidderminster. Simply frightening, and I was only on the boundary

2. His first ball in a game at Northampton taken head high by young (then) sub wicketkeeper John Simpson with a look that said (I'll take out the expletives) 'what was that?'

But most of all, his obvious enjoyment of what he was doing.

• POSTED BY Jagger on | March 1, 2014, 2:38 GMT

Great to see some colourful language for a change. I think the commentator he is referring to is Micheal Slater. He speaks a lot of it. In fact that's all he speaks.

• POSTED BY vik56in on | February 28, 2014, 23:58 GMT

Dirk Nannes is the nicest bloke around. He also seems to be eternally happy !

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 22:40 GMT

Dirk, top bloke. You forget to mention your singing prowess at the Chime choir back in the late 80s!!!! Good times.

• POSTED BY Alexk400 on | February 28, 2014, 19:40 GMT

he is kinda funny guy. I really thought he would succeed for australia. He had everything with respect to bowling. Tall , fast but lacked heart. More of he was thinking of beach when he was bowling. He kinda disinterested in cricket in general. But it seems like he is a goofy funny guy.

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 17:00 GMT

Nice person, really liked his attitude, cool, calm, and very much into his bowling, never seen him frustrated with his bowling, yes if he cant be in odis or test he surely should be in t20 ......

• POSTED BY milepost on | February 28, 2014, 13:54 GMT

Good one, entertaining and funny.

• POSTED BY Nuxxy on | February 28, 2014, 9:10 GMT

I understand the AB thing. Gayle has his areas, so you can bowl accordingly. But AB can hit you anywhere off any ball.

Also agreed about the LBW thing, especially with ball tracking.

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 8:28 GMT

Jolly fellow. Liked his interview. The best part is he is australian and doesn't sledge.

• POSTED BY android_user on | February 28, 2014, 16:03 GMT

• POSTED BY nursery_ender on | March 2, 2014, 11:30 GMT

I have two great memories of Dirk's spell with Middlesex.

But most of all, his obvious enjoyment of what he was doing.

• POSTED BY Jagger on | March 1, 2014, 2:38 GMT

• POSTED BY vik56in on | February 28, 2014, 23:58 GMT

Dirk Nannes is the nicest bloke around. He also seems to be eternally happy !

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 22:40 GMT

• POSTED BY Alexk400 on | February 28, 2014, 19:40 GMT

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 17:00 GMT

• POSTED BY milepost on | February 28, 2014, 13:54 GMT

Good one, entertaining and funny.

• POSTED BY Nuxxy on | February 28, 2014, 9:10 GMT

Also agreed about the LBW thing, especially with ball tracking.

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 8:28 GMT

• POSTED BY huSAMmania on | February 28, 2014, 8:13 GMT

Do edit the player profile on cricinfo which says "Unlike a typical fast bowler, however, Nannes speaks Japanese".

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 7:06 GMT

he is quite a character . really appreciate this guy way he perfrmed in the ipl 2009 in south africa where he single handedly take dd to the semi finals and were the best team of that ipl. i guess aussies can bet on him the t20 world cup he is really a whillly customer when comes to bwling in he death he deserves a one more go...

• POSTED BY drinks.break on | February 28, 2014, 6:24 GMT

Agree 100% about pitching outside leg. If it's going to hit the stumps, it should be out. This would also make spin (especially leg spin) an even more attacking option.

• POSTED BY mayankonthemove on | February 28, 2014, 6:19 GMT

a candid interview. World cricket needs more players like Dirk with skill set involving different sports. They bring some fresh air.

• POSTED BY SirBobJones on | February 28, 2014, 5:44 GMT

Shame he hasn't played more for Australia.

• POSTED BY 512fm on | February 28, 2014, 5:36 GMT

Nice to have an interview where someone just says what they think. Good on you Dirk.

• POSTED BY Favell on | February 28, 2014, 4:45 GMT

Nice work Dirk. You would be the bowler I would fear most if I played T20 - you and Doug Bollinger. With Taity you've got half a chance because half are off the pitch. I like bowlers with the common sense not to bag batsmen. Why give them ammo! They are more likely to hit you than you are to hit them. Hope to see a lot more of you in the BB, Dirk. I like your style.

• POSTED BY Favell on | February 28, 2014, 4:45 GMT

• POSTED BY 512fm on | February 28, 2014, 5:36 GMT

• POSTED BY SirBobJones on | February 28, 2014, 5:44 GMT

Shame he hasn't played more for Australia.

• POSTED BY mayankonthemove on | February 28, 2014, 6:19 GMT

• POSTED BY drinks.break on | February 28, 2014, 6:24 GMT

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 7:06 GMT

• POSTED BY huSAMmania on | February 28, 2014, 8:13 GMT

• POSTED BY on | February 28, 2014, 8:28 GMT

• POSTED BY Nuxxy on | February 28, 2014, 9:10 GMT

Also agreed about the LBW thing, especially with ball tracking.

• POSTED BY milepost on | February 28, 2014, 13:54 GMT

Good one, entertaining and funny.